Asian food battle

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

What do you like?

Pho
25%
Kimchi
13%
Tofu
11%
Sushi
51%

Total votes: 150

yangkuang

Asian food battle

Post by yangkuang » Feb 7th, '05, 21:01

I love pho. That's right, spicy pho all the way :)

bobobubu

Post by bobobubu » Feb 7th, '05, 21:17

ITS ALL ABOUT SUSHI!!!

never heard of pho...

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Feb 7th, '05, 21:19

it's unfair to make me vote

i love it all

but i guess i'll stick with my homeland favorite

Pho Real.

mak2k

Post by mak2k » Feb 7th, '05, 22:05

damn.. that's one hard choice.. IF i have to judge by restaurant quality, i would have to go with sushi 'cause my mom makes the best pho ever!!!! But if i do have to chose between both with a gun pointed on my forehead, i would go for sushi.. i hate to betray my viet roots but sushi rocks! :P

dochira

Post by dochira » Feb 8th, '05, 00:21

Hands down. Sushi all the way. I'd eat it every day if I could!

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Feb 8th, '05, 00:29

Of course it would be sushi! :lol ......but then again, I've never had pho before, so who knows?

LittleGreenGrasshopper
Geinou
Geinou

Post by LittleGreenGrasshopper » Feb 8th, '05, 00:35

Hmmmm, there's no sashimi :x .... well, I'm going to group it with sushi (since both are japanese) :) .... though, Pho would be a close 2nd :P

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Feb 8th, '05, 01:09

i pick Pho, haven't really had any sushi that i can eat everyday. but there's so many different types of sushi, it's not fair to compare it to the others! :-) as for kimchi and tofu, those 2 r more like side dishes bcuz can u really get full with just kimchi or tofu alone!?

silzii

Post by silzii » Feb 8th, '05, 01:10

Aahh.... I could eat sushi everyday! Imagine that, I'd be in sushi heaven! :mrgreen:

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Feb 8th, '05, 01:12

Out of curiosity, since I know/have eaten everything else listed, I looked up pho. So it's basically noodles with soup? I like soup'n'noodles... 8) Is there something special about how it's cooked? I should go try some out, cuz the pics of pho I found look good...and man I'm hungry now...

Seafood raw or not ain't really my thing, and most kimchee's too spicy for me :blink so I went for dofu/tofu. So versatile and tasty :wub:

Like kali4niaguy said, it seems like pho's the only 'full meal' food listed; aren't the others usually just side dishes or part of a meal? At least, I've never eaten a meal of just dofu or kimchee...

babyguh

Post by babyguh » Feb 8th, '05, 01:30

i agree with Nat i like all~~ but eh gotta choose the one from me homeland...

pho~~

pho is usually for breakfast about 10 ish but eh i eat anytime i hav craving for pho

its a main dish in the North of vietnam but eh i havnt tried the real taste of pho from N Vietnam yet. somehow its has different taste or something but anyway.......

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Feb 8th, '05, 01:50

hmm, such a difficult choice to make as both are so delicious!!! :D :D
but, i'd have to choose pho b/c i can never get enough of vietnamese food. :P

Smiley_18

Post by Smiley_18 » Feb 8th, '05, 01:53

Hm.. quite a hard choice.. but my final answer would still be SUSHI! :wub:

Btw, is ur meaning of tofu just plain tofu??

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Feb 8th, '05, 02:05

Pho. Sushi is great and all, but there's only so much sushi I can eat before I get full from all the rice whereas with pho you get those huge bowls full of yummy noodles. Never tried kimchi, don't plan to either (I don't handle spicy very well) and tofu is good, but not my favorite.

dofuagedashi

dofu

Post by dofuagedashi » Feb 8th, '05, 02:15

My avatar and nick says it all. Agedashi Dofu.

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Feb 8th, '05, 02:28

I've never had Pho either so I wouldn't know, although it sounds good ^_^ I don't like seafood...any kind....So I chose tofu. ^_^

sillykid

Post by sillykid » Feb 8th, '05, 02:58

If you've never had Pho you have to try it. It's so good. It's like a drug that you can't get enough of. Just look it up in your phonebook and there is probably a restaurant with "PHO" in its name. Go there and order a bowl. You're guranteed to like it.

kfan

pho?

Post by kfan » Feb 8th, '05, 03:01

what is pho? sorry for my ignorance. just wondering what it is .

sillykid

Post by sillykid » Feb 8th, '05, 03:21

Pho is a soup that contains rice noodles, various beef or chicken cuts (preferably beef) and/or beef meatballs, some vegetation if you like some, sliced onions (the thinner the better), served in a beef broth. You can sprinkle with lime (which i recommend) to add a little tangy flavoring, use hoison sauce to add more flavor and to dip your meat, and if you like things hot you can add hot sauce. The proper way to eat it is with the spoon in the left hand and chop stick in the right hand (vice versa if your left handed). Use the chopstick to pick up the solid stuff and the spoon to sip the broth. !!!CAUTION!!! PHO IS USUALLY SERVED VERY HOT (TEMPERATURE WISE).

Aprisea

Post by Aprisea » Feb 8th, '05, 03:23

I Love Sushi!!!!!!!1 all kinds, especially california maki :P
I didn't eat pho, so I don't know how it taste O.o. But I like kimchi too, but Sushi is the best! :D

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 8th, '05, 04:30

oh, man, it was a difficult choice between sushi and pho, but i HAVE eaten pho every day before....

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Feb 8th, '05, 04:34

hmm....what is pho?

dochira

Post by dochira » Feb 8th, '05, 04:48

See above...three posts or so.

Carn

Post by Carn » Feb 8th, '05, 05:38

sillykid wrote:Pho is a soup that contains rice noodles, various beef or chicken cuts (preferably beef) and/or beef meatballs, some vegetation if you like some, sliced onions (the thinner the better), served in a beef broth. You can sprinkle with lime (which i recommend) to add a little tangy flavoring, use hoison sauce to add more flavor and to dip your meat, and if you like things hot you can add hot sauce. The proper way to eat it is with the spoon in the left hand and chop stick in the right hand (vice versa if your left handed). Use the chopstick to pick up the solid stuff and the spoon to sip the broth. !!!CAUTION!!! PHO IS USUALLY SERVED VERY HOT (TEMPERATURE WISE).
That was the most delicious explanation I've ever heard in my entire life. ;_; Soo hungry now.

Sassy Man

Post by Sassy Man » Feb 8th, '05, 08:22

now this is the sort of posts that i like.

BUT,

where is beef vindaloo or butter chicken.

although admittedly, it's pretty hard to kill a kimchi or sushi as they're pretty much the same taste everywhere. whereas vinda's or butt chick badly done can taste like a can of pal! (pal=type of dog food in oz). when done well, ...mmmmmmm........heaven....

pho is pretty good as well.

pretty limited food range. what about thai food?

as a snack while watching these dramas, nothing beats a ramen with egg and rice and kimchi. i feel like one right now..

Sassy Man

Post by Sassy Man » Feb 8th, '05, 09:10

I like Sushi.

Nice snack.

WHat I don't understand is, how the hell can some of you say that you can eat it 24/7/365 of the year????????????

blaaahhhhhh

My guess is it appeals more to the wersten taste than eastern taste.

it goes well with hot (in both sense) ramen.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Feb 8th, '05, 09:29

It seems like this thread is two-fold. Are you asking, "Which ethnic food do you like best?" by using common dishes to describe these ethnicities, or are you asking, "which food, of these specific ones I listed, do you like best?" Um yeah, I'm probably overthinking everything, as usual....

For example, I'm not a big fan of kimchee, but I love korean food. Voted for sushi anyway cuz I prefer sushi over kimchee or tofu. Like many others, never tried pho. :P

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Feb 8th, '05, 09:30

for me sushi all the way.with lots and lots of wasabi :D
can't get enough of the green stuff..hehehe

penginkun

Post by penginkun » Feb 8th, '05, 10:31

Never had pho and I doubt I ever will. Kimchee is OK in small doses, but too much is too much. Tofu has its uses (mostly mabodoufu) and sushi/sashimi are OK as long as it's maguro. That's all I can eat...everything else makes me...queasy.

Now there are about 40 billion other asian foods you didn't ask me about, so how about I make some suggestions?

I'll go with Sassyman, who suggested vindaloo. LOVE Indian food, vindaloos in p'ticular. I'm not half bad at making tikkas, if I do say so meself.

I'd have to add mint leaf beef (or chicken) and mussuman curry (thai). And I'm a sucker for gyuudon.

Lessee...well, there are Chinese dishes I like, but they're American Chinese, not Chinese Chinese. I don't know how much REAL Chinese food I could stand...probably enough that I could survive! And as long as there's a McDonald's handy I'll live. ;)

Anything else? Hm...nope, that's all I can think of.

Agent007

Post by Agent007 » Feb 8th, '05, 11:22

Whoa, deja vu... *stumbles back to PMM torrents forum*

blue_chocobo

Post by blue_chocobo » Feb 8th, '05, 11:33

sushi!
cuz its good on a hot day or cold day

kimchi is good but if u eat too much u get sick faster than eating too much sushi, pho or tofu

pho is aite but i dunno if i can eat that much beef

tofu 2nd place for me cuz theres like a milltion different ways to cook it

koolbr33z3

Post by koolbr33z3 » Feb 8th, '05, 11:49

babyguh wrote:pho is usually for breakfast about 10 ish but eh i eat anytime i hav craving for pho
wow, that's hardcore to be eating pho for breakfast....

of the four choices, i'd have to pick pho as my favorite. tofu and sushi=tie for 2nd place. someone should make some sort of hybrid between the two. mmmm.....toshi or sufu :lol

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 8th, '05, 14:16

so many people craving pho, but how come sushi's winning?? well, doesn't matter, since i love sushi as well....

pretty appropriate thread to start since food fight finally won sotw! :lol

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Feb 8th, '05, 14:27

sushi is winning bcuz some of the ppl that voted for it have never had pho! some1 quick, send a hot bowl of pho to those ppl that's never had it b4!!! :D

Shinigami

Post by Shinigami » Feb 8th, '05, 14:30

LOL .. I don't know what is PHO, and never tried it too :P
And I don't like noodle with a lot of soup too ..
but it is hard to choose .. I love Kimchi, Sushi and Tofu :crazy:
uhmmm becoz I can't make sushi .. so I choose sushi :lol
everyday sushi all you can eat for 15 euro :P

TheBombastic1

Post by TheBombastic1 » Feb 8th, '05, 14:51

No offense, but this is one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen. Pho, kimchi, tofu, or sushi? :crazy: I can't possibly see how this could be a fair battle. There's is no parity. One of them (pho) is a realtively inexpensive soup/ noodle dish, another (kimchi) is a garnish type side thing, another is an ingredient (tofu), while yet another is relatively pricey treat that many people considere a delicacy.

That's almost like asking someone to choose between a private jet, a Ford Focus,sneakers, and a wheel.

Maybe it'd be a better battle if you keep it general, ie., which ethnic food people prefer, or what type of foods is preferred. Or if you want to get specific, list comparable dishes ie, like having all of them be a noodle dish of some sort.

Sana

Post by Sana » Feb 8th, '05, 15:15

Tofu? *barfs*

Thumbs up for pho.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Feb 8th, '05, 15:24

Sana wrote:Tofu? *barfs*
I love tofu! especially tofu dessert(mixed with brown sugar syrup, and tiny pearls~heat for 1 minute).
Last edited by jaycee05 on Feb 8th, '05, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Feb 8th, '05, 15:31

jaycee05 wrote:
Sana wrote:Tofu? *barfs*
I love tofu! especially tofu dessert(mixed with brown sugar syrup, and tiny pearls~heat for 1 minute). It's called "taho" in our country; for so many years I didnt know I was eating tofu until we moved in canada and I saw packages of dessert tofu being sold on the supermarkets here.
:offtopic: I don't like tofu either but that desert sounds delish. Actually it sounds a lot like a spanish (?) dessert called "flan" - which is a custard tofu-like substance covered in caramel syrup. Yum.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Feb 8th, '05, 15:50

zdoon wrote:
:offtopic: I don't like tofu either but that desert sounds delish. Actually it sounds a lot like a spanish (?) dessert called "flan" - which is a custard tofu-like substance covered in caramel syrup. Yum.

we have a dessert like that called leche flan. It's one of our regular desserts on fiestas and christmas...it looks like tofu but it has nothing to do with it watsoever....it contains 8-9 egg yolks, condensed milk, and grated lime skin for flavor...can either be steamed or cooked in the oven...
but damn, look at the ingredients...I feel guilty on every bite...good thing it's only served twice-thrice a year

Sana

Post by Sana » Feb 8th, '05, 15:52

Picture of pho:

Actually, I have no problem with tofu desserts. :-)

animetama
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by animetama » Feb 8th, '05, 18:12

zdoon wrote:Actually it sounds a lot like a spanish (?) dessert called "flan" - which is a custard tofu-like substance covered in caramel syrup. Yum.

Yumm!.. One of my favourite dessert : Creme Caramel with Caramel Sauce :wub:

I make sushi everyday -_- don't think I can eat it everyday..
I'm told my bowl of Pho is really boring.. no greens or sprouts.. ick.. tastes horrible with them in!

So I picked tofu : I used to live on tofu! It's so versatile and absolutely delish!
I love aburage :wub: dofu fa :wub: mapo dofu :wub: Buddha's Delight hotpot :wub:
I better stop.. I am getting hungry >_<

One of my favourite site : http://www.g-chef.com/english/indexe02.html
I droolz just looking at the pics >_<

Number 11 Ox

Post by Number 11 Ox » Feb 8th, '05, 18:35

I have to agree with TheBombtastic1. This vote is rigged! I mean, can you imagine if a Chinese food lover had a poll asking you to choose between:

1. Bean sprouts (for Vietnamese)
2. Daikon (for Japanese)
3. Doenjang (fermented soy bean paste, for Korean)
4. DIM SUM

Come on! I love all four of these cuisines, but having Chinese represented just by plain tofu? (There are a zillion ways to prepare it, too...)

I think there is a problem, though, with doing it by cuisines. "Chinese" is probably the world's most varied cuisine, because there are so many ethnic groups and regions in China, and only the tiniest fraction of their dishes are available in countries outside of Asia. And, while Prince Phillip meant it as an insult, I think the Chinese must take pride into being able to take practically anything living and turning it into something tasty...

I also have to say I'm amazed at how many people don't know what pho is, but I guess it's because Vietnamese immigrants are not as numerous in most countries.

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Feb 9th, '05, 00:21

When I read about pho and saw some pics, I was reminded of all the noodles and soup dishes my mom's made and I've had. I agree about the versatility thing with Chinese food...there're just too many ways to make tasty edible stuff. Though personally, I wouldn't go near some of them, I'm sure they're still tasty to those brave souls who enjoy them. Is pho like Chinese noodles and soup (tang mian, anyone?). I guess there just doesn't seem to be a well-known English word for it except maybe "ramen," and that's just one strain; there're so many Chinese noodle-soup type dishes. Anyone have "belt soup noodles" before? Rice/bean noodles with soup? Oh, baby... :wub:

mak2k

Post by mak2k » Feb 9th, '05, 00:30

in vietnam, Pho can be eaten 24h.. breakfast, lunch or supper. Actually, I have noticed that most stores serves Pho as a BREAKFAST meal... which is wierd for me :P

innocentchica

Post by innocentchica » Feb 9th, '05, 00:40

i looove pho, kimchi, and sushi!!! i can eat all of those constantly.... now tofu... :roll not really my thing.

jyoji

Post by jyoji » Feb 9th, '05, 01:18

zdoon wrote:

Yummy~~~ :wub: creme boule!! that's like one of the most nicest desert

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Feb 9th, '05, 02:34

as much as i like kimchi and pho.......................i am the biggest sushi lover!!! i love all kinds of sushi~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » Feb 9th, '05, 03:02

Why do Chinese get Tofu? It's not the main dish of China as opposed to pho, kimchi, and sushi. :blink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 9th, '05, 04:45

Sana: d*mn you for posting that picture of a bowl of pho. and just after lunch too. now, i'm getting hungry AGAIN!
zdoon wrote:Image
i used to LOVE this when i was a kid (if it's the same one). the japanese have this as a desert that you can buy at the store. it comes in small plastic cups (just like jello pudding). the caramel/choco part is on the bottom, custard on the top. you take a plate, remove the top from the cup, flip it upside down on the plate, and break a small piece of plastic on the bottom to allow air to get into the cup. the custard slides right out onto the plate.

man, my mouth is starting to water. i hate you guys! :P

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Feb 9th, '05, 12:43

jholic wrote:man, my mouth is starting to water. i hate you guys! :P
Dude, I am pathetic. By the time I got to the above line after reading the rest of your post, I almost had to wipe my own drool. Flan would really hit the spot right about now. Yummy in my tummy!

eltinator
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by eltinator » Feb 9th, '05, 12:59

aww man, I love pho but I also like tofu and I also like sushi and kimchi I'm not a big fan but I eat it anyways! I want to vote for all 4! :D

animetama
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by animetama » Feb 9th, '05, 14:41

zdoon wrote:
jholic wrote:man, my mouth is starting to water. i hate you guys! :P
Dude, I am pathetic. By the time I got to the above line after reading the rest of your post, I almost had to wipe my own drool. Flan would really hit the spot right about now. Yummy in my tummy!
thank god I wasnt the only one! >_<

Sana

Post by Sana » Feb 10th, '05, 03:02

jholic wrote:Sana: d*mn you for posting that picture of a bowl of pho. and just after lunch too. now, i'm getting hungry AGAIN!
Yeah, well, I think I damned myself since I got hungry too.

Why must you hurt Nemo? :cry:

Chynkinese

Post by Chynkinese » Feb 11th, '05, 01:33

awww shoulda added a "All of the Above" button!! LoL i love all those choices...soo hard to chooose one

baboisjjang

Post by baboisjjang » Feb 11th, '05, 05:13

I would choose sushi, but i dont think i could eat it everyday. you need red meat in your diet peoples otherwise your teeth will be all crooked. plus i like grilled fish about as much as sushi. orange roughy is the best.

i choose tofu cuz i wanna lose weight and be healthy, but i need kimchi. best of both worlds, kimchi jigae.

tinhvibanbi

Post by tinhvibanbi » Feb 11th, '05, 05:24

PHO, 100 % pho, coz im Vietnamese, and was born in the north of VN, hanoi
But i have to say, sushi is always as good as PHO
hum`, it've been a year, i haven't eaten Pho, have to eat as much as possible when i come back to VN on my summer vacation
Would u guys wanna come and taste PHO with me, coz i may not rite, but there are lots of Vietnamese here, rite?

:lol

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Feb 11th, '05, 05:43

Has anyone here ever try tasty lobsters from Hokkaido? Which lobster is better? The one from Hokkaido or the ones in Boston (suppose to be the best in the States?) I heard from my friends that Japan actually imports lobsters from Boston, which is surprising, that is if Hokkaidohas better lobsters..

aziatik

Post by aziatik » Feb 12th, '05, 18:41

jholic wrote:Sana: d*mn you for posting that picture of a bowl of pho. and just after lunch too. now, i'm getting hungry AGAIN!
zdoon wrote:Image
i used to LOVE this when i was a kid (if it's the same one). the japanese have this as a desert that you can buy at the store. it comes in small plastic cups (just like jello pudding). the caramel/choco part is on the bottom, custard on the top. you take a plate, remove the top from the cup, flip it upside down on the plate, and break a small piece of plastic on the bottom to allow air to get into the cup. the custard slides right out onto the plate.
man, my mouth is starting to water. i hate you guys! :P
im lucky my brother is a chef so he can make that, but too bad im not a fan of custard!!
Too hard to pick my fav meal between them alll is pho. but i had to vote for kimchi cuz im korean. but not really a fair assesment cuz u go from side dishes to meals but i personally like them alll

saturn

Post by saturn » Feb 13th, '05, 12:11

I had Pho AND sushi today, whaha . I like Pho but I like Bun thit nuong & banh quon thiiiiiiiiiiis much. And sushi thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much.

pandaprincess88

Post by pandaprincess88 » Feb 14th, '05, 04:16

i have to say that pho is RLLY good, BUT i personally LOVE sushi! i rlly could nvr get tired of eating it. besides the fact that it combines rice, it pretty much covers the dinner. i mean, it has fish/ eel/ veggies, and the seaweed, which by the way, is rlly good for you. i'd like to make the point that kimchi and tofu arent the best alternative choices. for me, it was kinda irrelevant to the other two foods, but watever. sushi all the way!!!
() ()
(>.<) ~ [a bunny] hehe

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 14th, '05, 05:30

aziatik wrote:Too hard to pick my fav meal between them alll is pho. but i had to vote for kimchi cuz im korean. but not really a fair assesment cuz u go from side dishes to meals but i personally like them alll
aziatik: it's pretty cool that you're in hawaii AND korea! :lol

when you're in hawaii, where do you go to eat pho?? or even korean?

my fave place for pho is 'my canh' on merchant st. they know me by name there. i also eat at 'cuu long' in pearl kai. and i know of 'tu chau(?)' on river, but i'm not standing in that line for 2hrs just to get a bowl of pho!!!

yangkuang

pho

Post by yangkuang » Feb 25th, '05, 22:33

Pho is loosing this battle. I have to defend it.

Yum yum for my tummy. This IS good eating. Good eating is living life. Hehehe :)

apples

Post by apples » Feb 25th, '05, 22:58

jaycee05 wrote:
I love tofu! especially tofu dessert(mixed with brown sugar syrup, and tiny pearls~heat for 1 minute). It's called "taho" in our country; for so many years I didnt know I was eating tofu until we moved in canada and I saw packages of dessert tofu being sold on the supermarkets here.
Taho is actually tofu? It has been ages since I ate that... yumm.. Maybe I should look for that when i go to an asian supermarket.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Feb 26th, '05, 21:25

^ hehe
I'm actually addicted with halo-halo...blender is already broken, so now using a cooking hammer to macerate the ice...the only ingredient i couldnt find here is pinipig :-(
my uncle said I was crazy...halo halo + winter :lol

I actually sacrificed my regular rice+ 2 items, and did a detour to the vietnamese section...just to see wat's the fuss about Pho...
"Pho pls!" pointing my finger to the big placard...
I got this huuuge carbon-copy-bowl just like the images u guys are posting...
it's OK, but it's not a "death-by-Pho" bite...
beneath all that beef and green onions were tons of vermicelli noodles :crazy: ....
even if I was extremely hungry on that day, I was already full just after a few spoonfuls of the soup and a couple of chopstick-strokes...
i think it's some distint aroma that I couldnt stand...

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 27th, '05, 00:29

jaycee05: i implore you to try it a few more times, and post your pho experiences again.

i took one of my female friends to eat pho for the very first time. like yourself, she didn't like the smell, but the soup was good, and the noodles were too. so she tried it once more. and again. now, she's addicted.

at one time, i was eating pho about six times a week. sometimes for lunch AND dinner! :crazy:

apples

Post by apples » Feb 27th, '05, 01:03

jaycee05 wrote:^ hehe
I'm actually addicted with halo-halo...blender is already broken, so now using a cooking hammer to macerate the ice...the only ingredient i couldnt find here is pinipig :-(
my uncle said I was crazy...halo halo + winter :lol
i've been craving for it for days now! i never really liked halohalo (shaved ice w/ beans, milk and fruits) until i tried the one made at super halohalo in sm manila (i forgot w/c branch).. the one made at a fil restaurant here is pretty good also! i'm way down south so it aint that cold anymore.

otcho

Post by otcho » Feb 27th, '05, 01:38

1. pho (bo)
2. kimchi
3. tofu
4. sushi

but my favorite soup is bun riêu maybe hu tieu next, then pho
pho's not my favorite taste but when don't eat pho for few weeks i'm really missing it ...

oh, and "spicy pho all the way" too ^^ i like pho very spicy

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Feb 27th, '05, 02:59

otcho wrote:1. pho (bo)
....pronounced as "bo" huh...not fo?
so that's why the lady couldnt understand me....instead, she did the same pointing gestures and said "beef noodle?"

sure, ill try again...maybe the pho i ate was not so good, coz it was in a chinese mall's food court...where there's a chinese market downstairs....with the smell of meat, chinese herbs, seasonings, and whatnot going upstairs

rico2001
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rico2001 » Feb 27th, '05, 03:31

I can't vote; I've never had any of them.

sillykid

Post by sillykid » Feb 27th, '05, 03:47

Hey YANKKUANG is that first picture of pho because it doesn't look like anything I've ever seen?

otcho

Post by otcho » Feb 27th, '05, 04:54

jaycee05 wrote:
otcho wrote:1. pho (bo)
....pronounced as "bo" huh...not fo?
so that's why the lady couldnt understand me....instead, she did the same pointing gestures and said "beef noodle?"

sure, ill try again...maybe the pho i ate was not so good, coz it was in a chinese mall's food court...where there's a chinese market downstairs....with the smell of meat, chinese herbs, seasonings, and whatnot going upstairs
ahh, no.

in vietnamese, bo means beef, like ga means chicken
you have pho ga and pho bo, since i prefer pho bo, i indicated "(bo)" in my top5
sorry if you misunderstood me.

by the way, pho is not to be pronounced "fo", indeed its an "f", but followed by a sound that doesn't exist in english and absolutely not the "o" you know in english.
actually i never asked myself how to pronounce it, and it would be difficult if i tried to teach you since there's not enough sounds in western langage to describe it properly.
maybe next time try asking the waitress how you should say it! :)

mangosteen
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mangosteen » Feb 27th, '05, 05:44

Pho all the wayyyyyyyyyyyy :w00t:

rainidy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rainidy » Feb 27th, '05, 05:52

Sushi and Pho is my favorite, but i like shishi a little more. Craving for some CA roll. :w00t:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 27th, '05, 11:58

jaycee05 wrote:maybe the pho i ate was not so good, coz it was in a chinese mall's food court
what?! no, you've really gotta try it at a vietnamese restaurant. too bad you're not in hawaii, i could recommend several good places.

otcho: i usually like to say that 'pho' is pronounced sorta like the first part of 'fun'. just the 'fuh-' part. (of course, my friends like to use a certain other four-letter word for their example, but i won't go there....)