Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Tokusatsu DRAMA or NOT

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Karate-ka

Tokusatsu DRAMA or NOT

Post by Karate-ka » Jun 29th, '08, 13:09

http://henshinjustice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25665

Ladymercury who also is a member of this site, find out that the majority who are new to Tokusatsu are calling Tokusatsu shows Simply drama's...

If you dont know what Tokusatsu is, its shows with Japanese Special FX... Such as Kamen Rider Kabuto(Hiro Mizushima), Ultraman Tiga(V6 Hiroshi Nagano). I mean I dont mind but these shows that i mentiont above doesnt realy look like a drama... They are actualy Kids shows...

So yeah whats your opinion...

Keizou

Post by Keizou » Jul 7th, '08, 23:58

yeah I agree, many drama sites label them as "drama" but they're more like Power Ranges...I think Sh15uya would be a "drama" that is actually a Tokusatsu

groink

Post by groink » Jul 8th, '08, 02:35

Categorizing tokusatsu as a genre of drama is the norm in Japan. And it isn't the only WTF. For example, they consider all non-J-pop or non-J-rock music as enka. If you're looking for stuff from a non-J-pop/rock artist, you must go to the enka section. It is like this in the music stores as well as the karaoke song catalogs. When it comes to classifying music and videos, the Japanese handle it in a very simplified manner.

Same thing with categorizing TV shows. In any video store, you'll see that although the tokusatsu shows are kept together in its own section, they're classified as dramas in the catalogs. Yahoo! Japan's on-line TV guide also classifies tokusatsu as dramas. Tokusatsu is a genre of drama, and NOT an actual type of TV show like animation, documentary or variety. Also, other than the special effects, a tokusatsu has the same basic elements as for example a crime drama like Hagure Keiji Junjoha.

On DramaWiki, right now we're not tagging tokusatsu as dramas.... yet! We're still brainstorming how to best handle the genre.

--- groink

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Jul 8th, '08, 05:47

You know in japan it self they call everything an drama so i wouldn't mind i think they use the word drama as replacement for Bangumi.

visionkcw

Re: Tokusatsu DRAMA or NOT

Post by visionkcw » Jul 15th, '08, 03:06

Karate-ka wrote:http://henshinjustice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25665

Ladymercury who also is a member of this site, find out that the majority who are new to Tokusatsu are calling Tokusatsu shows Simply drama's...

If you dont know what Tokusatsu is, its shows with Japanese Special FX... Such as Kamen Rider Kabuto(Hiro Mizushima), Ultraman Tiga(V6 Hiroshi Nagano). I mean I dont mind but these shows that i mentiont above doesnt realy look like a drama... They are actualy Kids shows...

So yeah whats your opinion...
hi