[Discussion] Last Friends - Nagasawa Masami/Ueno Juri/Eita

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Jul 12th, '08, 09:23

noonie wrote:
son2 wrote:i don't know why, but i kinda disappointed with the ending.
the ending is too 'safe'.
i feel like it's not fair for ruka.
being close together to someone that who can not love her back....
mmmm... maybe i am thinking about this too much.
I like the ending it was realistic since no one else was dying the story had to be realistic and just show them going on with life and like in real life you dont always get the one you love or a huge happy ending.
it was called "The love of young people who live the moment"
but they made it seem like Ruka was going towards Takeru I didnt like that part
Eh. If Juri had acted out the camp scene between Ruka and Takeru exactly the way the writer Asano intended, you'd like it even less. :whistling: It seemed like Asano wanted to have her cake and eat it too - she was adament in making Ruka's sexual identity set in stone ie. Ruka was NEVER going to be able to fall in love with a man (she said so herself in Episode 10 when she came out to her dad), yet in her interview, the writer (Asano) expressed her regret with the overall platonic tone in the warm affection displayed between Ruka and Takeru in the last episode. I suppose she (Asano) wanted to show that Ruka could feel adoration for Takeru (which she does, but not in the eros form), despite her clear awareness of her own feelings ie. that she was not attracted to men. Me thinks the writer herself was really invested in the TakeruxRuka relationship and knew it was a hit with viewers, thus she wanted to stretch their relationship beyond the boundaries that she herself had drawn. It's not really fair to expect the actors to suddenly change their own internal understanding of their characters based on the writer's sudden impulse to make TakeruxRuka the "sorta couple but sorta not", and she shouldn't shift the blame on her actors for not being able to read her mind. :glare: Juri's take on Ruka's platonic/brotherly affection for Takeru was consistent with how she felt Ruka's character to be. If Asano had wanted to portray that Ruka was in the "grey" area between Ftm and lesbian, and could in fact possibly reciprocrate Takeru's adoration (romantically), then she shouldn't have made Ruka say those lines to her dad - which to me was like the final nail in the coffin as far as her sexual orientation goes in canon (note - not gender orientation, but sexual orientation).

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Jul 12th, '08, 10:11

masap - you've written quite a bit there, enjoyed your post. :) I've got little time right now to write down all my thoughts, but some parts I want to comment on: --
masap wrote:Just out of curiosity... I've noticed hardly anyone likes Michiru and many have said Nagasawa Masami didn't do a good job of acting her out...

What sort of portrayal/acting would make you like Michiru (given that her character stays the same), or think that a good job has been done in acting her out?

In fact, does anyone here like Michiru at all??
I don't dislike Masami Nagasawa as an actress, nor is she my favorite. So far, I've only seen her in "Crying out Loud in the Center of the World" and Last Friends, so she has not really formed a strong impression in my mind. I'd like to see more of her movies. But I like her looks. She's cute. :)

Michiru as a character, is not very likeable to me. Yes, she's a good person (as you've ably shown in your long argument attesting to Michiru's good character - which I agree) but being a good person is not enough to make her likeable to me. I generally do not like weak, indecisive characters, which Michiru unfortunately is. It's a pity for Masami to play such a weak lead role, and be overshadowed by Juri's supporting character, Ruka. But I'm sure every actor goes into a new drama/movie hoping to be challenged with a memorable role. It's what they do with the opportunity they've given that counts. I think Masami aquitted herself quite okay with her role as Michiru, as did Eita, Juri and Asami (with the little scenes she had). Ryo, I don't think he really stretched himself - he played an emotionless DV machine for the most part - except for his teary breakdown in that final scene before his suicide. But one good scene alone does not a great performance maketh. (My opinion - so don't jump on me, Ryo fangirls). That said, Ryo had the guts to play a DV person which might've jeopardised his idol image as a JE boy, so he deserves kudos for that.
I guess most people dislike her primarily for one of two reasons:

1. She keeps on going back to the guy who DVs her
2. She does not feel Ruka's love for her, and when she did, she refused her
Hmm. Point 1 yes, Point 2 - not so for me. I don't blame Michiru for not returning Ruka's love, she's straight afterall. However, her stupid behaviour with Sousuke does frustrate a lot of viewers. You should backread this thread for reasons why many dislike Michiru (though the Sousuke hate is much stronger, lol). I wrote quite a bit before, and don't feel like repeating myself. Others have also given valid reasons why Michiru's weakness is a turn off. I would have disliked the character regardless of who played her.
Unfortunately, I don't think her character was carved out very well in this drama. Seems like the scriptwriter herself doesn't even give a crap about Michiru, based on what I understand from her interviews.
Nah, It's not that Asano doesn't give a crap about Michiru - Michiru is the main lead afterall, and is the catalyst for all the drama in the sharehouse. Asano has Michiru connected to Ruka, Takeru and Sousuke - 3 other main leads, which makes Michiru the most connected person in the character chart.

Rather, it's sad and a bad mistake for Asano to make Michiru into a pitiable character instead of an inspiring character (which she could've been). As you've said below --
Ideally, Michiru would've undergone some sort of change and become stronger at heart by the end of ep 11. We saw her change at one stage when she was able to escape her colleague's high-heel attack after a few episodes; we see her standing up for her friend, Ruka when confronting Sousuke in ep 10...
Yet at the end of the day, all those little hints at Michiru's change for the better ended in nothing. She is now forever haunted by the memories of her dead DV boyfriend. Even though she said she wanted to try and be independent, she still goes back to live with the others.
Exactly.

And I hated Michiru's reaction when she found Sousuke's dead body. Whether it was Masami's interpretation or the director's instruction - Michiru can be shell -shocked, looked at him with a mixture of hate, relief and pity, sadness even - but not the over melodramatic sadness Masami shown by sobbing on his chest like she lost the love of her life. Eh. That scene was totally off-putting. Like Sousuke died heroicly, and the heroine realized too late that he loved her all along. :roll
I can't help wondering what would all the people suffering from DV in reality think after watching LF... honestly... both Masami and Ryo have said that DV is bad, and should not be tolerated, yet in this drama, Sousuke even in his death, DVs Michiru. Even though in reality a DV guy like Sousuke wouldn't even think about commiting suicide (the scriptwriter herself even admitted)... I think a lot of DV victims were probably hoping to find some sort of refuge in seeing a Michiru that becomes stronger by the day, but I guess they were disappointed to the very end...
Yup. You bet, that was poor representation of DV victims and how they should react to their tormentors.
Much discussion has been focused on Ruka (whom I like very much) and Juri (of whom I have become a fan), but I thought we should also give some thoughts to the other actors. And since I am also a Masami fan, my comment mainly focuses on Michiru.
Which I'm glad to hear. It's always nice to read different perspectives. :)

Gotta go...continued' later.

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Jul 12th, '08, 11:49

Ok - Malika is out meaning that the 3rd part to the manga is out! There's quite a bit of conversation so I can't tell whether we're getting anything "extra". Pictures wise, it looks like about the same as the drama and this one ends at the point where Mr. DV is found sitting in the rain outside the share house....

I'll have it scanned and probably upload it tomorrow.

fantasy_lover

Post by fantasy_lover » Jul 12th, '08, 15:04

hanapyupyu wrote:masap - you've written quite a bit there, enjoyed your post. :) I've got little time right now to write down all my thoughts, but some parts I want to comment on: --
Ideally, Michiru would've undergone some sort of change and become stronger at heart by the end of ep 11. We saw her change at one stage when she was able to escape her colleague's high-heel attack after a few episodes; we see her standing up for her friend, Ruka when confronting Sousuke in ep 10...
Yet at the end of the day, all those little hints at Michiru's change for the better ended in nothing. She is now forever haunted by the memories of her dead DV boyfriend. Even though she said she wanted to try and be independent, she still goes back to live with the others.
Exactly.

And I hated Michiru's reaction when she found Sousuke's dead body. Whether it was Masami's interpretation or the director's instruction - Michiru can be shell -shocked, looked at him with a mixture of hate, relief and pity, sadness even - but not the over melodramatic sadness Masami shown by sobbing on his chest like she lost the love of her life. Eh. That scene was totally off-putting. Like Sousuke died heroicly, and the heroine realized too late that he loved her all along. :roll
I don't have time to comment on every point but I absolutely agree with "hanapyupyu" on the scene where Michiru found Sousuke's dead body
I was utterly disappointed as how the scene was carried out. I don't know whether it was the directing/screenplay that was so overly contradicting or that Masami just once again couldn't convey the complexity of her character's feeling @ the crucial moments. I mean, she was bawling her eyes out as though he was the ever so-selfless loving hero, who had sacrificed himself to save the world kind of thing. What was playing on my mind the whole time of that scene was "Are you kidding me?"
If she let some drops, I understand but sobbing and acting as though his death is the worst thing on earth is beyond my understanding. Ok, she loved the guy and still probably does regardless of how many hair he pulled off her head but oh please, the guy just raped her (AGAIN), almost killed her friend, and raped the other (didn't Michiru think Sousuke RAPED Ruka or something to that extend?).
And yet, when he was lying there, she showed nothing but hurt and regret as though she and everybody else drove him to his undeserving death.
Hurt? Fine, I understand, but nothing else besides hurt? Now that just seems too one-dimensional. Really, where was the "mixture of hate, relief and pity"
"hanapyupyu", you were right on. Those are exactly the emotions that I was looking for but Michiru/Masami showed me nothing besides the fact that the DV guy + death = hero. That is a load of crap and from that moment on, this drama went down hill. It was not that Sousuke's absence that made the last part of this drama suck but it was how his character was written off. Trying to convince audiences (who aren't Ryo's fan girls) that Sousuke, the DV machine, is suddenly the hero for killing himself to let go of Michiru is such a No-No. No, it wouldn't that way and No, it didn't. It ruined so many good points I reserve for this drama and well, the disappointment reached the climax in that scene
And I'm still disappointed.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Jul 12th, '08, 15:14

I would have been happier if Sousuke got sent to prison for like killing someone or getting his jacked up violent behavior exposed and losing everything than just putting the knife to the wrist for real this time.

Oh well.

kuo87

Post by kuo87 » Jul 12th, '08, 15:35

I don't know. I feel like you all are saying: Sosuke, the person that Michiru has invested her time in for the past two to three years (hypothetically) dies and she should just get up and walk away?

It's understandable that she should (and did) get out and walk away from the relationship. She did a fine job of that in the middle of the series. However, we're all humans, and when you invest yourself into someone for such a long period of time, hurt is bound to happen. And dying? I think anyone would cry about it. I've got a few people that I strongly dislike for certain personality and behavioral choices, but if they died, it'd hurt me because of the time that person and I invested into each other.

I guess I stand for this show because ironically, I've seen this actually played out in real life. Actually, this happened to my roommates. In a very short story, they came out spring quarter, and were still going out with their girlfriends. So they ended up being TakeruxMichiruxRuka for quite a while. (I'd probably say two months). One of my best friends would have played out Eri really well too, since she's going through the same problem.

But then again, I look back at the last few years of my life, and I've got to say, a lot of things happened. My stance on this show has been based upon my experiences. So, for me, a romanticized version of my experiences played out, it gives me something to think about.

That, or I must have really fell for the punch line for last friends.

I'm really sorry about the last post I made, I look back at it, and it totally did not make any sense. I guess that's what happens when you try and think at 3am in the morning.

And another thought, what's up with all of Johnny's boys having to be without a shirt at some point of a drama?

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Jul 12th, '08, 16:32

Ok, I'm back --
masap wrote: There has been much discussion on the Drama Awards. I just want to clear up by saying that:

1. Last Friends' leading role was Nagasawa Masami from the very beginning (starting from when news of this drama first came out in Japanese newspapers).

2. There is no leading male actor in this drama.

3. For this season's drama awards, Masami is nominee for best actress, Juri and Asami will be nominees for best supporting actress, Eita and Ryo will be nominees for best supporting actor.
Well, there was never a confusion to my mind that Masami Nagasawa has top billing in Last Friends, and would be nominated for lead actress (if they deem her worthy this season). Juri Ueno is a shoe-in for best supporting actress nomination, and it'd be a travesty if she doesn't win. I don't think it matters whether they nominate her for Best Actress or Best Supporting Actress - the main thing is that her brilliant performance is recognised.

Do I think that Juri deserves to be co-lead actress with Masami? Of course I do. But that doesn't change the fact that Masami was promoted as lead actress from the start. Based on screen-time, the order of their names listed on the official site and introduced on interviews etc., I figured that Masami was the first lead actress or main lead actress, Juri as the second female lead, and Asami as the third female lead. Eita and Ryo are both supporting actors - their characters serve the purpose of supporting the main females in the story (Ryo as the DV perpertrator to Michiru, Takeru as the soulmate/kindred spirit to Ruka). Ogurin is the least important supporting male and the producers didn't even find him important enough to put in the opening.

Talk about the opening song, it sure was misleading - the opening song made it seem like this was a story about 5 people with equal importance and their individual character arcs. In actual fact, there were only two storylines they explored with some depth- the DV issue and the gender identity confusion. Eri's 'loneliness' was not delved upon at all, except to show her clinging on to Ogurin. Takeru's agony with his sexual trauma was solved as an afterthought with a phone-call ...in the special. Hilarious.
For one, a leading actor/actress in Japan not only have to act, she/he also has the responsibility of uniting and leading the team onsite and on promotional shows. If ratings crap it's the leading actor/actress's fault and so on. Nagasawa Masami had taken on all these responsibilities from the start because she was listed as the leading actress. On the other hand, personally, I think Ueno Juri deserved to be the leading actress too, but that was not the case. So to use her name merely for increasing DVD-Box sales, I find that very unrespectful.
Yes, it is dodgy practice - but not uncommon. It happens when those producers of DVDs want to cash in on the popularity of a certain actor/actress - for example, put the actor's face right in the middle of a DVD cover when the actor only plays a small role in the film made before he/she became popular.

Anyhow, even though she is the main lead actress, I don't think Masami Nagasawa has solely taken on the responbility to promote Last Friends (all 5 of the main casts have participated in the promos and suffered for the show - as you've said), and neither will the blame for the low ratings of the show fall solely on her shoulders. Last Friends is an ensemble show, and not a one-man/woman show, like the type of dramas Takuya Kimura takes on usually. It doesn't matter who his co-star is, the drama's success/hype is mostly attributed to him. Masami is not yet that big an actress to say that the failure or success of a drama depends on her mainly.
Amidst all these... the casts did what they can based on what I consider a dodgy script (of which the later half was written in a way that appealed to higher ratings during on-air period, everything going all over the place), and I think all of them deserve applause for their hard work.
Agreed. :-)

Now for the off-topic comparisons of Juri and Masami.. :P
And I shall refrain from comparing Juri and Masami's acting skills... as I think they both have different styles. I can't imagine Masami playing Ryoko in Tsubasa no Oreta Tenshitachi or Aoi in Rainbow Song or Nodame in Nodame Cantabile or Ruka in Last Friends, nor can I imagine Juri playing Aki in Crying out love in the Centre of the World, Kaoru in Nada Sousou, Rei in Proposal Daisakusen, Michiru in LF.
Hmm. Maybe it is my personal bias talking - but I do firmly believe that Juri has shown far more range and versatility in her acting than Masami has thus far. Masami's role in the hit movie "Crying out Love in the Center of the World " which brought her much fame overnighit, was a matter of being at the right place, at the right time, at the right age. It was a Jun Ai themed movie, which Japan was ready to embrace once again (after a long drought since the 1990s). Masami was fresh-faced, innocent and sweet as a 17 year old and perfectly cast as the nostalgic first love of the protagonist. I watched that movie mainly for Kou Shibasaki, as she was my favorite actress and already a big star in 2004, but the movie really made Masami's role shine as the ingenue (not unlike what Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon did for Zhang Ziyi). Masami became the IT girl, overnight and the darling of many movie producers and advertisers.

If "Crying Out Love" was produced today, in 2008, I can see other fresh-faced ingenues like Aragaki Yui playing the role that went to Masami. It was not so much the acting ability, but the radiance, youthful beauty and sweetness of the character which I think a handful of other young actresses can pull off besides Masami. But that is a moot point now, as Masami played the role and benefited from it. And not to take anything away from her performance, I thought she was good in that movie.

On the other hand, Juri has shown her ability to do both comedy and drama with dexterity. The role of the weirdo piano prodigy Nodame in Nodame Cantabile is one role that is not so easy to pull off - as one has to be exaggerated but still believable. If the balance is not there, Nodame could turn out to be a very annoying and fake character. Juri was brilliant in making Nodame come alive, to the extent that I can't picture another actress playing her. Then you see her play an intense character like Ruka with not a trace of Nodame, and it's hard not to be impressed by her. Maybe you may argue that another actress can pull off Ruka, or Nodame -- but to pull off both characters, who're so different from one another, equally convincingly is no easy feat.
I think what Ueno Juri does in her acting is finding similarity between herself and the characters she play and then amplifies that particular aspect during filming. In other words, once she's grasped that similarity, she herself sinks in and becomes that character. If she doesn't find much similarity between herself and the character, it becomes a problem for her. As in Joudan Janai, she said the protagonist is very very different from herself. And I don't think Joudan Janai struck most Juri fans as much as her other more impacting works. I actually think that this is something that she needs to overcome, else it will limit the range of roles she can play (not in the sense that she can't play them, but a matter of how well she can play them).
I think the problem with Joudan Janai (haven't watch it yet, but based on what I've read) is that the script was terrible, not so much that the characters were not convincing. Apparently Juri didn't have a lot to do in the show other than pout and act cute.

In terms of her acting ability or acting methods, I think Juri is way ahead of many of her peers and I wouldn't be too worried about her. lol. It's more important that she picks worthy projects that can utilise her talents in future though...because even brilliant actors cannot save a dud script.

In terms of physical appearance, I wouldn't really want to compare them - because one man's meat is another's poison. What's attractive to one is ordinary or common to another. I do want to say that Masami is a very good looking girl, to me. She's got the looks that makes her suitable to play classical romantic leads on the silver screen. :thumright: That said, I agree with you that Masami needs to break out from playing 'innocent type of roles' and try to show different sides of her, so that we don't look at her and say 'That's Masami Nagasawa playing a DV victim", or "Masami Nagasawa playing fill-in-the-blank", but completely forget that we're watching Masami Nagasawa and just be engrossed with her character. If she can achieve that, then I'd call her a good actress.

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Jul 12th, '08, 16:52

kuo87 wrote:I don't know. I feel like you all are saying: Sosuke, the person that Michiru has invested her time in for the past two to three years (hypothetically) dies and she should just get up and walk away?
No, not just get up and walk away. Crying is natural, but I'd expect more complex feelings coming out from her...bitter tears, a release of her pent-up emotions or just numbness. That would be a more chilling response to the damage that Sousuke has done to Michiru's psyche. Instead she bawls like Bambie over him. Geez. What do we expect anyway. This is the same Michiru who said that Sousuke has 'forgiven' her by giving her the rape baby. :glare:

I mean, this was a man who tormented, abused and stalked Michiru for months and tried to ruin the lives of her close friends. A man who refused to take NO for an answer. He lied, manipulated and RAPED her just the night before. And his final parting gift for her? He kills himself in the next room in a dramatic fashion so that Michiru will discover his bloody dead body the next day and be scarred for life. Greattt. What a swell guy...right to the very end.

eilla

Post by eilla » Jul 12th, '08, 18:40

I think it's possible. I mean there are women who still live with their husbands, even when their are abused, because they love them. And in the end he loved her, didn't he? In strange in violent way, but he somehow did. And she needed this. I don't say it's right, but I am able to understand this behaviour.

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Jul 12th, '08, 19:05

hanapyupyu wrote: Eh. If Juri had acted out the camp scene between Ruka and Takeru exactly the way the writer Asano intended, you'd like it even less. :whistling: It seemed like Asano wanted to have her cake and eat it too - she was adament in making Ruka's sexual identity set in stone ie. Ruka was NEVER going to be able to fall in love with a man (she said so herself in Episode 10 when she came out to her dad), yet in her interview, the writer (Asano) expressed her regret with the overall platonic tone in the warm affection displayed between Ruka and Takeru in the last episode. I suppose she (Asano) wanted to show that Ruka could feel adoration for Takeru (which she does, but not in the eros form), despite her clear awareness of her own feelings ie. that she was not attracted to men. Me thinks the writer herself was really invested in the TakeruxRuka relationship and knew it was a hit with viewers, thus she wanted to stretch their relationship beyond the boundaries that she herself had drawn. It's not really fair to expect the actors to suddenly change their own internal understanding of their characters based on the writer's sudden impulse to make TakeruxRuka the "sorta couple but sorta not", and she shouldn't shift the blame on her actors for not being able to read her mind. :glare: Juri's take on Ruka's platonic/brotherly affection for Takeru was consistent with how she felt Ruka's character to be. If Asano had wanted to portray that Ruka was in the "grey" area between Ftm and lesbian, and could in fact possibly reciprocrate Takeru's adoration (romantically), then she shouldn't have made Ruka say those lines to her dad - which to me was like the final nail in the coffin as far as her sexual orientation goes in canon (note - not gender orientation, but sexual orientation).
Note that the interview took place quite some time before the finale was shown. They only released that part later because it contains spoilers obviously. So that answer about the only thing she regrets(if there's any) seemed kinda weird to me as well. Since she's the one who wrote it...But I don't think she was complaining about Ruka/Takeru's relationship being too platonic. Just that the relationship between the 3 couldn't be expressed like how she wanted it to be. It should be deeper and more complex I guess. Also, the 'grey area' mentioned doesn't mean Ruka could turn straight or reciprocate Takeru's feelings. It refers to someone who could be straddling both worlds. Unable to decide which one they are((Ftm/lesbian) or just doesn't feel the need to(the latter which I feel is where Ruka is at in the end of the finale). She's still not straight in any case. In her heart, the writer is categorizing Ruka in this area. But if that's the case, she could have made the grey-ness more apparent instead of just have Ruka browsing through sites about operations... Even in the counseling sessions, the topic is mostly on how the other people in her life could come in terms with it. Seemed like it's a pretty sure thing already and she was ready to get the operation. So, it would be good if Ruka's decision have been made more clear at the end instead of just making us more confuse. What would be ideal for me is if they combine that with the heart-to-heart talk with Michiru which is another thing I felt was missing.
No, not just get up and walk away. Crying is natural, but I'd expect more complex feelings coming out from her...bitter tears, a release of her pent-up emotions or just numbness. That would be a more chilling response to the damage that Sousuke has done to Michiru's psyche. Instead she bawls like Bambie over him. Geez. What do we expect anyway. This is the same Michiru who said that Sousuke has 'forgiven' her by giving her the rape baby.
Hmm, yeah, I thought the same thing during that scene. The letter was certainly too 'redeeming' as well. The time and effort put into writing all that could have been channeled somewhere else...But typical of Sosuke eh? Ruka's line(about how she can't forgive Sosuke for what he did and how even in his death he still tries to bind Michiru) eases me a little as it shows that Michiru's thoughts are probably just how her character is.

DeAngel999

Post by DeAngel999 » Jul 12th, '08, 22:31

O wow. Haven't been here for awhile. Long posts, sure took me awhile to read. I enjoyed reading all of them though not agree/disagree to all. Anyway, not sure if this has been posted before but this is the lyrics. Care to interprete them with the story? I think most of u know the lyrics translation. But honestly, for some part of the song, i don't know how i can relate that to the story and who is it being refer to.
:unsure:
“Prisoner of Love”
UtadaHikaru

I’m a prisoner of love, prisoner of love, just a prisoner of love
I’m just a prisoner of love, a prisoner of love…
Heiki na kao de uso wo tsuite waratte
You tell lies with a straight face
Iyake ga sashite raku bakari shiyou to shite ita
And laugh in that disturbing way, “let’s have nothing but fun” you said
Naimonomedari buru-su
The blues of asking for too much
Mina yasuragi wo motometeiru
Everyone’s searching for tranquility (peace)
Michitariteru no ni ubaiau
Content but struggling
Ai no kage wo otteiru
Chasing afterthe shadow of love
Taikutsu na mainichi ga kyuu ni kagayakidashita
Out of everyday tedium a sudden radiance appears
Anata ga arawareta ano hi kara
Because you appeared that day
Kodoku demo tsurakute mo heiki da to omoeta
Even in my solitude and heart-break I was able to appear calm
I’m just a prisoner of love
Just a prisoner of love
Prisoner of love, prisoner of love
I’m a prisoner of love
Yameru toki mo sukoyaka naru toki mo
In sickness and in health
Arashi no hi mo hare no hi mo tomoni ayumou
Through stormy days and after, we will walk together
I’m gonna tell you the truth
Hitoshirezu tsurai michi wo erabu
I chose the secretly heart-breaking path
Watashi wo ouen shite kureru
The support you gave me
Anata dake wo tomo to yobu
You were the only one I could call a friend
Tsuyogari ya yokubari ga muimi ninarimashita
Pretending to be strong and desiring for more has lost its meaning
Anata ni ai sareta ano hi kara
Because I’ve told you from that day
Jiyuu demo yoyuu demo hitori ja munashii wa
Freedom and time means nothing when you are alone
Just a prisoner of love
Oh~ mou sukoshi da yo
Oh~ just a little bit more
Don’t you give up
Oh~ mitsutenai zettai ni
Oh~ don’t you ever leave me
Zankoku na genjitsu ga futari wo hikisakeba
In this harsh reality tries to tear us apart
Yori issou tsuyoku hikare au
It will pull us closer, more than ever
Ikurademo ikurademo ganbareru ki ga shita
No matter what I feel like we would be able to persist
Just a prisoner of love
Arifureta nichijou ga kyuu ni kagayaki dashita
An ordinary commonplace day, a sudden radiance
Kokoro wo ubawareta ano hi kara
I was utterly attracted that day
Kodoku demo tsuraku demo heiki da to amoeta
Even in my solitude and heartbreak I was able to appear calm
Just a prisoner of love
I’m a prisoner of love, prisoner of love, prisoner of love
I’m a prisoner of love
Stay with me, oh stay with me
My baby, say you love me
Hitori ni sasenai
Never abandon me
My baby, say you love me
Hitori ni sasenai
Never abandon me
((thanks for reminding me to spoiler cut it))
Last edited by DeAngel999 on Jul 13th, '08, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Jul 13th, '08, 00:29

Maybe... spoiler cut that.... cause... its like really long....

fayenatic

Post by fayenatic » Jul 13th, '08, 04:50

it sounds like a lot of you are arguing over Masami's and Juri's artistic abilities.
Juri may be more of a natural, but I'm eager to see how far Masami's potential can take her. I think it's far more interesting to see an artist transform and perfect his/her abilities than having an actor/actress become stagnant in their abilities over an extended period of time.

Not so sure if either Michiru or Ruka would like the comparison of their counterparts either. :roll

oh yeah, did i mention how much i think Hikki's song got jipped? How downright misleading -___-

rukaxmichiru

Post by rukaxmichiru » Jul 13th, '08, 09:19

Ladymercury wrote:I would have been happier if Sousuke got sent to prison for like killing someone or getting his jacked up violent behavior exposed and losing everything than just putting the knife to the wrist for real this time.

Oh well.
Right on. :thumright:
No, not just get up and walk away. Crying is natural, but I'd expect more complex feelings coming out from her...bitter tears, a release of her pent-up emotions or just numbness. That would be a more chilling response to the damage that Sousuke has done to Michiru's psyche. Instead she bawls like Bambie over him. Geez. What do we expect anyway. This is the same Michiru who said that Sousuke has 'forgiven' her by giving her the rape baby.
Exactly what I was thinking of. I mean, I get that she loved him and all, but from her own words after that rape scene, didn't she want to protect her dear friends? With Sousuke dead, she could have showed some relief that her friends are now safe. Not just her friends either, but herself also. Like mixed emotions at the time with a confused look instead of just crying over him. (imo, the crying wasn't really convincing either) I doubt that the only thing that was running through Michiru's head was "Omg, my beloved is now dead! What shall I do?" More likely she would have thought about the outcome and consequences of his death and not just cry like a baby over a dead piece of meat.
Meh, just my opinion.

lichter002

Post by lichter002 » Jul 13th, '08, 15:55

Masami needs to take more challenging/different roles. I loved her in "Crying Out Love..." but I'm tired of seeing her in these types of roles. Right now, Juri-chan >>> Masami, until she shows more versatility at least. This cannot be argued. Only Aoi Yu approaches or equals Juri-chan in their generation, in my opinion.

kuo87

Post by kuo87 » Jul 13th, '08, 17:32

rukaxmichiru wrote: Exactly what I was thinking of. I mean, I get that she loved him and all, but from her own words after that rape scene, didn't she want to protect her dear friends? With Sousuke dead, she could have showed some relief that her friends are now safe. Not just her friends either, but herself also. Like mixed emotions at the time with a confused look instead of just crying over him. (imo, the crying wasn't really convincing either) I doubt that the only thing that was running through Michiru's head was "Omg, my beloved is now dead! What shall I do?" More likely she would have thought about the outcome and consequences of his death and not just cry like a baby over a dead piece of meat.
Meh, just my opinion.
I think she did want to protect her friends, hence the scene after. But then again, the more I think about it, Sosuke killing himself wasn't very logical. Does this show mental instability? Or just crappy scriptwriting? It would have made more sense after episode five "A Shocking Night" or something like that. Does anyone think Sosuke would have died right there in the hypothesized "original" script?

Oh yeah, since I'm new to the J-Drama scene, I find it pretty funny how the full length OP was cut down to like 15-20 seconds after the fourth episode. Is that common practice? If not, maybe that's where the change occurred and they didn't want to "mislead" us.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Jul 13th, '08, 19:44

Oh yeah, since I'm new to the J-Drama scene, I find it pretty funny how the full length OP was cut down to like 15-20 seconds after the fourth episode. Is that common practice? If not, maybe that's where the change occurred and they didn't want to "mislead" us.
Yes, I noticed that FujiTV and TBS dramas tend to do that a lot like four or five episodes in.

roon

Post by roon » Jul 13th, '08, 20:28

kuo87 wrote: Oh yeah, since I'm new to the J-Drama scene, I find it pretty funny how the full length OP was cut down to like 15-20 seconds after the fourth episode. Is that common practice? If not, maybe that's where the change occurred and they didn't want to "mislead" us.
I think it's to save more time for the actual drama, as tiny a fraction it is.

When did this thread become a Juri>Masami in acting bashing? >_>

I just watched Masami in a couple movies that were both completely different from one another and also Last Friends: 隠し砦の三悪人 (Kakushi toride) and ラフ (Rough) (and soon I will watch そのかれ, but that sounds like another weepy role). Last Friends convinced me that her acting wasn't good at all, but when I saw those two I'm a Masami believer. I highly believe it's the director at fault because she was extremely inconsistent in Last Friends.

Don't get me wrong, I love Juri through and through and think she's a great actress. I just think it's unfair that people are knocking Masami's acting and compare her to Juri if they haven't seen anything else she's done. She may not be as chameleon-like as Juri, but she's got a pretty good range of roles under her belt. She HAS done a lot more than these weepy roles, just take a look at her filmography.

DeAngel999

Post by DeAngel999 » Jul 13th, '08, 21:31

rukaxmichiru wrote: Exactly what I was thinking of. I mean, I get that she loved him and all, but from her own words after that rape scene, didn't she want to protect her dear friends? With Sousuke dead, she could have showed some relief that her friends are now safe. Not just her friends either, but herself also. Like mixed emotions at the time with a confused look instead of just crying over him. (imo, the crying wasn't really convincing either) I doubt that the only thing that was running through Michiru's head was "Omg, my beloved is now dead! What shall I do?" More likely she would have thought about the outcome and consequences of his death and not just cry like a baby over a dead piece of meat.
Meh, just my opinion.
Totally agree, u spoke the words out of my mind (The bold one). Instead of crying over him, I thought her reaction would be like: Michiru's shock face, scared, stepping back from him, dropping down on her knees.THen come to him, reaching him by his arm and then notice the letter. (lol my opinion).
kuo87 wrote: I think she did want to protect her friends, hence the scene after. But then again, the more I think about it, Sosuke killing himself wasn't very logical. Does this show mental instability? Or just crappy scriptwriting? It would have made more sense after episode five "A Shocking Night" or something like that. Does anyone think Sosuke would have died right there in the hypothesized "original" script?

About Sousuke suicide, I thought about the original script would have him dead after ep 5 also.
Yea about the OP. I noticed that to. THey change OP by the middle of the series which is common.

rukaxmichiru

Post by rukaxmichiru » Jul 14th, '08, 00:02

Don't get me wrong, I love Juri through and through and think she's a great actress. I just think it's unfair that people are knocking Masami's acting and compare her to Juri if they haven't seen anything else she's done. She may not be as chameleon-like as Juri, but she's got a pretty good range of roles under her belt. She HAS done a lot more than these weepy roles, just take a look at her filmography.
Well, it's just some peoples' opinions on their acting in LF that's all.
Personally, I don't think that Masami's acting is very convincing and it's not only from my opinion of LF. I've watched most, almost all of her other works wayyyyy before I found out who Juri is, and I still don't find it THAT convincing. Just my opinion. I think she needs to take on a totally different and dramatic role in order to shine. :P But she was in sailorfuku... and it was kinda meh. Oh well, at least she has a cute face can save her... photogenic :thumleft: I'll give her props for that.

I'm not saying that she's sucks at acting or anything, she is capable in her own ways, but being next to Juri and others of the same age group in a drama, you can see some differences and usually you would think that the lead actress would outshine everyone else, right?

Not trying to anger any Masami fans here, it's just what I think. Read it or not it's your choice. :lol

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 14th, '08, 00:15

rukaxmichiru wrote:I'm not saying that she's sucks at acting or anything, she is capable in her own ways, but being next to Juri and others of the same age group in a drama, you can see some differences and usually you would think that the lead actress would outshine everyone else, right?
Maybe it's a matter of chemistry... Juri-chan and Eita work together so well here... Mainly because they've worked together so many times in the past. :)

kuo87

Post by kuo87 » Jul 14th, '08, 04:35

bmwracer wrote: Maybe it's a matter of chemistry... Juri-chan and Eita work together so well here... Mainly because they've worked together so many times in the past. :)
Actually, I think that's very true. but then again, I do notice how the chemistry between Juri chan and Masami chan. Juri chan even said that the role or Ruka has kind of grown on her. So, maybe chemistry between those two worked really well, but not anywhere else.

Kathstandsalone

Post by Kathstandsalone » Jul 14th, '08, 08:07

Eh, I accidentally read a spoiler at the top of the page .... :glare:

I am on episode 2 so far. And i've read this thread until page 19 and i need a break.

It is weird watching this drama. but i will continue watching for the sake of Ueno Juri and see how the story will progress. anyway, what i feel like saying is that Masami's acting skills is still the same when I watched her in Proposal Daisakusen. And i didn't like PD btw :) When Ryo started beating her, i thought she could show a bit of fear? I'm not sure whether her reaction is s'posed to be played out like that.

But I thought in the drama Pride, Takeuchi Yuko acted better when her ex boyfriend hit her. She managed to express the fear of getting hit. :thumright:

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Jul 14th, '08, 12:12

Part 3 of the manga is out!

I've uploaded it at my blog. There's no translation so it's just a scan. If someone can offer any insight on the contents then that will be great!!

http://yasashiisekai.wordpress.com/

littlemafia

Post by littlemafia » Jul 15th, '08, 08:15

i fall in loved with this drama..
n ruka too.. hahhha..
she's really a good actress.. loved watching her act in nodame n this drama too..

still waiting SP epi to dload..
great drama again for me.. :)

UnionSagittarius

Post by UnionSagittarius » Jul 16th, '08, 13:51

Totally loved Last Friends,one of the best drama I've ever watched.Although I started watching it because of Ryo,I think that all the actors did great as well! I've read almost all the pages here and I really want to say sth about the scene with Michiru finding Sousuke's body.

I think her reaction was really normal.I think it was a huge surprise for her,I mean,maybe she thought that now that she had told him she would stay with him,he would be satisfied.I believed she never thought that he would kill himself,I mean,he had already threatened to do it once,but never did it,right?
In addition,although he had done all these terrible things to her and her friends,they had also had shared beautiful moments as well,and I believe that she still cared a bit about him,if not loving him.Well,I'm sure that later,she would feel relief now that her friends were safe,but I think that crying over him as her first reaction was...normal.I mean,what would you do if you woke up and you saw someone you knew dead and the whole scene covered with blood?Well,I'd probably do the same.
I think that Michiru's character wasn't capable of hating anyone...

However,thinking that Sousuke forgave her by giving her the baby was a bit silly,I think.But even if it's like this,I don't think we can blame him for that.I mean,he nver told her ''I forgive you with this baby'',plus he shouldn't be the one to forgive.Although I was never able to hate Sousuke,I didn't like the methods he used to make Michiru come back to him.I'm sure that he loved till the end,just wasn't able to show his love the right way.I have to say that I was able to understand his feeling,even a bit.He wasn't a totally bad person,it was just this contradiction thing that did it all.

I also believe that Sousuke can't be described as an actual DV person,I mean,real DV people don't just regret what they've done,cry,and then kill themselves,right?

I also have a question:I know that he was to be killed at the first episodes.But that would be a bit wierd,I mean if he killed himself at episode 5 or so,then why would he be one of the main characters,why be in the opening if he wasn't going to exist at later episodes.

Just my opinion though...I may be totally wrong,but I felt like saying all these things...

leadfreaky

Post by leadfreaky » Jul 16th, '08, 14:25

Nikkansports Awards~

Best Drama: CHANGE
(second was Last Friends!!^^)
Best Actress: Amami Yuki -->around 40
Best Actor: Kimura Takuya -->change
Best Supporting Actor: Nishikido Ryo--> LF
(fourth was Eita)
Best Supporting Actress: Ueno Juri --->LF

http://www.nikkansports.com/entertainme ... amagp.html

we can be satisfied right?~^^ LF did great!~
YES! Ryo won!!XD
and please don't start with "oh no, why Ryo..it should be Eita"thinggie..Ryo did great in LF and it's of course also thanks to his JE popularity I know!:)

UnionSagittarius

Post by UnionSagittarius » Jul 16th, '08, 14:51

Yay for Ryo-chan and Ueno Juri!

DeAngel999

Post by DeAngel999 » Jul 16th, '08, 14:54

Yes! Great Job Last Friends! I heard CHANGE wasn't good. So it is the best drama? Hooray for Ueno Juri!! Omedeto for Last Friends and its casts .

m-ayu

Post by m-ayu » Jul 16th, '08, 15:01

leadfreaky wrote:Nikkansports Awards~

That's all I care :wub:

Thanks for the info. :mrgreen:

Rori

Post by Rori » Jul 16th, '08, 15:06

Gratz Ryo and Juri.

Isn't Nikkansports the one that gave Yukan Club all the awards when that aired? :lol Are there any other drama awards coming up?

littlemafia

Post by littlemafia » Jul 16th, '08, 16:33

omedeto..
yippie.. glad to hear ueno juri wins.. yippie.. and ryo too...
wil watch SP LF today

so sad this drama already finish :(

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Jul 16th, '08, 18:28

Nikkansports is purely popularity.
Come on, Jin Akanishi won best actor in it.
For Yukan Club.

l.o.l

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 16th, '08, 19:05

leadfreaky wrote:Best Supporting Actor: Nishikido Ryo--> LF
(fourth was Eita)
Total BS.

I suppose if he didn't off himself in the drama, NikkanSports would've declared him Emperor of Japan. :nuts:

DeAngel999

Post by DeAngel999 » Jul 16th, '08, 21:07

Nikkansports award.. hmmm.. I'm knew to Japanese television awards. So Nikkansports is popular. From wiki, it is the daily sport newspaper in Japan. What I look forward to most is the Television Drama Academy Awards, which "based on the combined results of votes from the magazine readers, juries, and TV journalists." Now that make the Nikkansports's award is just a "small" award. Well, I'm still waiting for Juri to get the big prize award. :roll

lichter002

Post by lichter002 » Jul 17th, '08, 05:22

Yay for Juri-chan! Definitely worthy of the award.

sarah117

Post by sarah117 » Jul 17th, '08, 06:20

leadfreaky wrote:Nikkansports Awards~

Best Drama: CHANGE
(second was Last Friends!!^^)
Best Actress: Amami Yuki -->around 40
Best Actor: Kimura Takuya -->change
Best Supporting Actor: Nishikido Ryo--> LF
(fourth was Eita)
Eita was fourth??!! haw dissappointing.. but if it is purely based on popularity, than i can understand better.. :lol
anyway, bravo Ueno Juri-chan and Last Friends crews!! :cheers: :cheers:

waiting for the drama awards..

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Jul 17th, '08, 07:59

bmwracer wrote:
(fourth was Eita)
Total BS.

I suppose if he didn't off himself in the drama, NikkanSports would've declared him Emperor of Japan. :nuts:
:lol

Congrats to Ryo and Juri.

Hee, it's no surprise that they'd win these popularity awards since Ruka and Sousuke were the most talked about and controversial characters in Last Friends. I'd say the Nikkan Sports Awards is similar to the MTV Movie Awards. :D

Now waiting for the real acting awards......rooting for Juri and Eita! :thumleft:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 17th, '08, 13:23

hanapyupyu wrote:Now waiting for the real acting awards......rooting for Juri and Eita! :thumleft:
Right on. :thumleft:

kuo87

Post by kuo87 » Jul 17th, '08, 14:10

lol.
not really surprised by the results.

I say ten dollars on Juri-chan winning best support at The Television Awards

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Jul 17th, '08, 14:13

bmwracer wrote:
(fourth was Eita)
Total BS.

But Nikkansports is fan voting, so it doesn't mean anything. :roll

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Jul 17th, '08, 17:06

Great to hear Juri got best supporting actress! CONGRATS!!! But I really want her to make a mark in the real acting awards!! Any idea when that's coming up?

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Jul 20th, '08, 13:44

An update on the Drama Academy Awards! The voting will end on 22 July so I'm expecting the actual awards to be later this month. But, looking at previous years, it might be in the 1st week of August. I'm going to keep an eye out for the date.

Btw, nomination list is out...I've posted it up on my blog...hehe

At this stage, there's not much to add.

GO RUKA!! Oops...I meant Juri!! :wub:

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Jul 20th, '08, 15:36

sleepyzzz wrote:An update on the Drama Academy Awards! The voting will end on 22 July so I'm expecting the actual awards to be later this month. But, looking at previous years, it might be in the 1st week of August. I'm going to keep an eye out for the date.

Juri should be up for best supporting actress then. Something interesting about deciding on the winners. There are 3 voting categories, readers, judges and critics/reporters. I think the overall winner is based on percentages from these 3 group's vote. An example:
Best actress: Ueno Juri for Nodame Cantabile
(look at the 3 lists at the bottom)

rulan

Post by rulan » Jul 20th, '08, 20:15

great to see this place stilll alive and kicking. not as active as before but still up there. so how's everyone doing now that last friend is over. i know some of you are rewatching the show and others are watching something else. for me i have resorted to playing online games. kinda sad but if anyone plays domo (dream of mirrors) then you can find me as ruka. hehe. :wub:

DeAngel999

Post by DeAngel999 » Jul 20th, '08, 20:47

^Yuuki wrote:
sleepyzzz wrote:An update on the Drama Academy Awards! The voting will end on 22 July so I'm expecting the actual awards to be later this month. But, looking at previous years, it might be in the 1st week of August. I'm going to keep an eye out for the date.

Juri should be up for best supporting actress then. Something interesting about deciding on the winners. There are 3 voting categories, readers, judges and critics/reporters. I think the overall winner is based on percentages from these 3 group's vote. An example:
well I guess this place will be active when the Television awards annouce in later July/early August.
@^Yuuki:
Do you know Japanese? You're like one of the people who are actually have all kind of info about the drama like a reporter or something. :lol
@rulan: now that Last Friends is over, I'll be working on some Ruka's art. (which i don't know how long it will take me :cry: currently struggling with photoshop that is...)

sarah117

Post by sarah117 » Jul 21st, '08, 07:04

^Yuuki wrote:Juri should be up for best supporting actress then. Something interesting about deciding on the winners. There are 3 voting categories, readers, judges and critics/reporters. I think the overall winner is based on percentages from these 3 group's vote. An example:
what did it say? (can't read japanese.. :P )

mixedmedia

Post by mixedmedia » Jul 21st, '08, 07:59

Apologies if this has been asked every few pages but what is the deal with the spin off mentioned on the drama wiki?

Hasn't surfaced yet?
Not worth watching?
False information?

lichter002

Post by lichter002 » Jul 21st, '08, 10:34

sarah117 wrote:
^Yuuki wrote:Juri should be up for best supporting actress then. Something interesting about deciding on the winners. There are 3 voting categories, readers, judges and critics/reporters. I think the overall winner is based on percentages from these 3 group's vote. An example:
It shows how the different actresses ranked in the three voting categories. The first list is for the readers, the second for the judges and the last for critics/reporters. Juri-chan ranked first in the latter two categories and second in the first. Shida Mirai ranked first in the reader vote for "14 sai no haha". Didn't bother to read the rest. :D

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Jul 21st, '08, 13:04

mixedmedia wrote:Apologies if this has been asked every few pages but what is the deal with the spin off mentioned on the drama wiki?

Hasn't surfaced yet?
Not worth watching?
False information?
You mean Eri~ My Love? That was sorta like a 5 minutes omake pay-per-view shown after each episode of Last Friends. Each short episode centers on Eri and Ogurin. Some has connection to the episode while some is just plain fluff. They'll be included in the DVD along with other extra stuff.
lichter002 wrote:
sarah117 wrote:
It shows how the different actresses ranked in the three voting categories. The first list is for the readers, the second for the judges and the last for critics/reporters. Juri-chan ranked first in the latter two categories and second in the first. Shida Mirai ranked first in the reader vote for "14 sai no haha". Didn't bother to read the rest. :D
Yeap. Still, in total it appears that Juri's percentage is highest so she got the best actress award at that time. Other stuff in that page, Juri mentioned that the casts got together to watch the finale together. Tamaki cried at the final scene. Lol. Juri herself was jumping around having fun...(very Chiaki and Nodame if you ask me). :mrgreen:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 21st, '08, 13:34

^Yuuki wrote:Juri herself was jumping around having fun...
That's my Juri-chan... :thumright: :wub:

the_lilone

Post by the_lilone » Jul 22nd, '08, 10:09

i just finished the 7th episode!!!!

i really want to hug takeru~~~ really want one for myself!!! i know.... in a way he's very similar to ruka.... but the only different thing is ruka has takeru.... takeru has no one!

also i've always wondered... u know how they always have breakfast together??? who makes it anyway?? i mean i know takeru makes the coffee and sometimes dinner.... but who's responsible for breakfast??!? ruka, eri and the other guy always seem to leave the dishes there for the "less busy" takeru and michiru to clean.... but did takeru and michiru have to cook too??? :x thats unfair! (lol~ like it matters at all)
also i thought it was weird.... that the scene where takeru turns around and realized ruka left her phone on the couch.... while michiru was cleaning up the table... did takeru really look for that long?? or michiru has secret superpowers to finish cleaning the table and wiping it down even though it was originally covered with dishes in a split second??
hehe sorry can't catch up with everyone else's convo cuz i'm still only on ep 7.... but at least i know the nikkan sports award and i know that last friends got 2 top awards :D YAYYY~

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Jul 23rd, '08, 18:34

There was an updated posted on the official website yesterday which seems to say that the voting has closed and results will be published in the weekly magazine on 20 August and in the monthly magazine on 23 August! So far, still no news of when it will be broadcasted on TV but I guess it’ll be before 20 August!! Will continue to keep a look out!!

THe official site
http://blog.television.co.jp/drama/academy/

sarah117

Post by sarah117 » Jul 24th, '08, 00:53

sleepyzzz wrote:There was an updated posted on the official website yesterday which seems to say that the voting has closed and results will be published in the weekly magazine on 20 August and in the monthly magazine on 23 August! So far, still no news of when it will be broadcasted on TV but I guess it’ll be before 20 August!!
one more month to wait?? i'm dying to know the results.. XD
well, thanx for the info!! :lol

asian_grl

Post by asian_grl » Jul 24th, '08, 02:53

I looked at the results online. Ryo-kun won best supporting actor and Juri-chan won best supporting actress. The Michiru chick didn't win anything (THANK GOD :mrgreen: ). Change beat Last friends by a couple hundred votes and won the best drama award.

I am REALLY REALLY glad Ryo and Ueno Juri won. I've always been spiteful toward all the roles Ryo have played, but he really won me over in Last Friends. His expression changes were great, and the conflict inside him was almost tangible. Ueno Juri is of course incredible. She's the reason I watched this series despite my annoyance.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 24th, '08, 03:12

asian_grl wrote:I've always been spiteful toward all the roles Ryo have played, but he really won me over in Last Friends. His expression changes were great, and the conflict inside him was almost tangible.
Does cardboard have any expressions? :scratch:

sarah117

Post by sarah117 » Jul 24th, '08, 04:57

asian_grl wrote:I looked at the results online. Ryo-kun won best supporting actor and Juri-chan won best supporting actress. The Michiru chick didn't win anything (THANK GOD :mrgreen: ). Change beat Last friends by a couple hundred votes and won the best drama award.
Eita didn't win??! that's shocking.. :scratch:
well, as long as Juri-chan won, I'm still happy.. :lol

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Jul 24th, '08, 13:49

asian_grl wrote:I looked at the results online. Ryo-kun won best supporting actor and Juri-chan won best supporting actress. The Michiru chick didn't win anything (THANK GOD :mrgreen: ). Change beat Last friends by a couple hundred votes and won the best drama award.

I am REALLY REALLY glad Ryo and Ueno Juri won. I've always been spiteful toward all the roles Ryo have played, but he really won me over in Last Friends. His expression changes were great, and the conflict inside him was almost tangible. Ueno Juri is of course incredible. She's the reason I watched this series despite my annoyance.
I think the result you saw is the Nikkan one which was posted in the previous page...As sleepyzzz says, the result for the Japanese Television Academy Awards will only be known next month. Unlike online voting, they need to tally up the reader's votes and there's the other judges/juries' votes to consider.

Juri did won in a recent poll conducted by Oricon Style though. Favourite actor/actress among females. ^^ I posted about it here: http://community.livejournal.com/juri_ueno/7818.html

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 24th, '08, 14:01

^Yuuki wrote:I think the result you saw is the Nikkan one which was posted in the previous page...
Yup... It's nothing more than a fangirl, er, popularity contest.... Not very legitimate.

the_lilone

Post by the_lilone » Jul 24th, '08, 19:41

bmwracer wrote:Yup... It's nothing more than a fangirl, er, popularity contest.... Not very legitimate.
yep :D i for one agree that i voted more than once for different actor/actresses i fangirl over.... hehe so when i found out that ryo won of course i was happy but at the same time i know it means nothing...

waiting for the academy award results though.... at least then we could see what the judges picks are :)

**Mejoka**

Post by **Mejoka** » Jul 24th, '08, 23:59

hihi minnaa saaaaaaaan :D how's everyone doing!!
does anyone know when my beloved KIOKU family is going to reveal ep 11...i'm sooo excited :-( (no spoiling plz, i'm still watchin) ...and why aren't there any info about the SP in the wiki :blink !

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 25th, '08, 04:28

Here's some recent pics of Juri-chan (thanks to meoinkie2 at J-D) with (semi) short hair that I can really love: :wub:

asian_grl

Post by asian_grl » Jul 25th, '08, 05:02

she.. is.. soooooo pretty!!! Our Juri-chan is getting prettier by the day. which show was this from?

asian_grl

Post by asian_grl » Jul 25th, '08, 05:05

bmwracer wrote:
asian_grl wrote:I've always been spiteful toward all the roles Ryo have played, but he really won me over in Last Friends. His expression changes were great, and the conflict inside him was almost tangible.
where can I get the cardboard you've been looking at? your observation power must be sooooooo great.
It's a good thing neither of us get to decide, eh? :-)

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 25th, '08, 13:21

asian_grl wrote:
bmwracer wrote:
where can I get the cardboard you've been looking at? your observation power must be sooooooo great.
It is: I can recognize a cardboard cutout from a mile away. :P

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jul 25th, '08, 13:56

forgive me for being a bit OUTDATED with Juri's recent news but i just have to say this after seeing her recent pics....

she looks GORGEOUS !!!

i love her new look! the semi long hair... :w00t:

rulan

Post by rulan » Jul 25th, '08, 14:52

avieamber wrote:forgive me for being a bit OUTDATED with Juri's recent news but i just have to say this after seeing her recent pics....

she looks GORGEOUS !!!

i think she just looks gorgeous in every hair style. even for nodame at first i didn't like it but then it just grew on me and it was just great. iono maybe i just love her so much that everything else is just an added bonus.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 25th, '08, 15:56

avieamber wrote:forgive me for being a bit OUTDATED with Juri's recent news but i just have to say this after seeing her recent pics....

she looks GORGEOUS !!!

It just plain rocks. :thumleft: :wub: :thumleft: :wub:

**Mejoka**

Post by **Mejoka** » Jul 25th, '08, 20:15

wait :scratch: wasn't she was wearing a wig in LF!! is she wearing a wig in those pics too....anyway she always looks pretty :cheers:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 25th, '08, 20:25

**Mejoka** wrote:wait :scratch: wasn't she was wearing a wig in LF!! is she wearing a wig in those pics too....anyway she always looks pretty :cheers:
No wig.

yopakfu

Post by yopakfu » Jul 25th, '08, 22:30

bmwracer wrote:Here's some recent pics of Juri-chan (thanks to meoinkie2 at J-D) with (semi) short hair that I can really love: :wub:

What show??!!?! :w00t:
Please tell us!

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Jul 25th, '08, 23:07

^^ It's Mezamashi TV.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 25th, '08, 23:59

atskv9 wrote:^^ It's Mezamashi TV.
Right on. :thumright:

Here's the DailyMotion link: http://www.dailymotion.com/search/ueno% ... anko2_news :thumleft:

Enjoy!

**Mejoka**

Post by **Mejoka** » Jul 26th, '08, 00:07

bmwracer wrote:
**Mejoka** wrote:wait :scratch: wasn't she was wearing a wig in LF!! is she wearing a wig in those pics too....anyway she always looks pretty :cheers:
No wig.
ummmm did she say that in an interview :roll cuz it really seemed like a wig especially when she takes off her racer hat (there is no scalp lines when she rubs her head!!)
oh that makes wanna ask if there is a subbed interview for them?? :mrgreen:
don't get me wrong I LOVE Ueno Juri she rocks :cheers:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 26th, '08, 01:34

**Mejoka** wrote:
bmwracer wrote:
No wig.
ummmm did she say that in an interview :roll cuz it really seemed like a wig especially when she takes off her racer hat (there is no scalp lines when she rubs her head!!)
She's got a lot of hair... :)

Why would she wear a wig for this role?

If you saw her recent Fibe-Mini CM she has the same Ruka cut... No reason for her to wear a wig in that CM, ne? :)

It's her hair. No wig. :thumright: