Discuss Korean drama series here.
BOGCHI

East of Eden (MBC, 2008) Song Seung Hun, Lee Da Hae

Post by BOGCHI » Jun 5th, '08, 06:57

Lee Da Hae's new drama! :D

.. with Song Seung Hun and Yun Joong Hun

coming soon!

Synopsis:
The drama will be about two men whose fates are crossed from the very first day that they were born. Both men were born in the same hospital. When he was a teenager, Lee Dong Chul witnessed the death of his father. From then on he promised to seek revenge on the man who caused his father's death, Shin Tae Hwan. But unbeknownst to everybody is the fact that Dong Chul's younger brother, Dong Wook, was switched at birth with Tae Hwan's son, Myung Hun. Dong Wook grows up to become a prosecutor and vows to help his brother seek revenge. But what happens when they find out that they're not brothers? What will Dong Chul do when he finds out that his real brother was raised by Shin Tae Hwan and that the brother that was beside him all these years is the son of his enemy?

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jun 5th, '08, 16:14

Lee Da Hae has been very active as this is now her 3rd drama in less than 2 years. Hello Miss! and Robbers didn't do too well so I hope this one is gonna be a success for her. Good to see Lee Yeon Hee in it too, and with SSH as the leading male, there's plenty of eye candy for everyone :)

The story seems to be VERY typical though, with a bit of a mix between Autumn Tale and Resurrection. Let's just hope there won't be any nosebleeds! And 50 episodes.....that's about 30 too many already.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jun 7th, '08, 03:49

Gah...I didn't want to watch this at first when I heard Song Seung Heon was the male lead - the man is gorgeous, but his acting is painful to watch sometimes - but now with Lee Da Hae and Lee Yeon Hee confirmed as the rest of the love triangle I don't know if I'll be able to resist...... The plot does sound a tad bit annoying (not another Autumn Tale?!) but I'm glad it's a tearjerker. I haven't seen one of those in forever.
Ah, Dennis Oh is in this too. It's just eye candy all over the place isn't it?
Last edited by fizzlex3mh on Jun 7th, '08, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

maid3st1ny

Post by maid3st1ny » Jun 7th, '08, 03:54

woo hoo! happy to continue seeing lee da hae, she's awesome. but i think her most memorable character will always be from my girl.. and the girl from the timeless mvs and millionaire's first love is in it too. she has the prettiest almond eyes!

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jun 7th, '08, 16:49

fizzlex3mh wrote: Ah, Dennis Oh is in this too. It's just eye candy all over the place isn't it?
Indeed. That's probably the reason why they haven't put any effort into the plot and just ripped it right off other k-dramas. Who needs an original story when there's so much sight-seeing to be done? But I must admit, even for someone as shallow as I am who watches k-dramas primarily because of good looking stars will find it difficult to sit through this marathon.

Mariemerong

Post by Mariemerong » Jun 10th, '08, 11:11

Yeah it better be a GOOD drama.
I mean theres Song Seung Hun. His so hot man.
And Lee Da Hae I've always liked her acting.
Too bad the castings seems to zoom into the 3trio guys.
But still can't wait though :D.
(Though I need to wait after my 'N's) UGH

pirtybirdy

Post by pirtybirdy » Jun 10th, '08, 12:17

Does anyone have an idea about when this will come out? Will it be this summer, this fall, next year, etc? Thanks you very much. Sounds like it has a fine cast. I love a good eye candy drama! :-D

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jun 11th, '08, 22:50

Han Ji Hye has been confirmed as a member of the East of Eden cast. Ooooh, exciting! She's a cutie. This drama better be good.

gr8wall

Post by gr8wall » Jun 13th, '08, 02:30

Wow, I was really hoping this would be some what like the real East of Eden by Steinbeck.

I really wish that Korean drama will adopt some American themes, instead of the other way around

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Aug 9th, '08, 20:02

New EOE promo pics! With SSH looking very manly and the 3 leading ladies looking stunning:

for more pics, go to coolsmurf's blog.
The drama doesn't look interesting at all, but with this all-star cast I'll have to check out the first episode at least.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Aug 9th, '08, 21:39

Looks interesting to me: :roll

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 10th, '08, 08:18

The look should have the same high gloss and sophistication as Le Dolce Vita, as they're both done by the same director. Because it's a daeha drama, there's a push for stars, elaborate sets, and some kind of "big" story. Though judging by the synopsis, the story doesn't look like they're attempting an Age of Heroes or Seoul 1945.

Dennis Oh will be cast as "Michael", so I guess Lee Yun Hee will deliver some lines in English. Huh.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Aug 10th, '08, 15:46

Lee Da Hae looks great in the promo shots, but she seems to have lost a bit of weight, which tends to happen to a lot of K-actresses who rise in fame. Too much pressure in the industry to be thin?
Dennis Oh will be cast as "Michael", so I guess Lee Yun Hee will deliver some lines in English. Huh.
I'm still hoping for Dennis Oh to be matched up with LDH as her English is pretty decent, but considering she's the female lead and Dennis is like...an extra, it probably won't happen.

I sure hope LYH's English is tolerable....or maybe Dennis should learn some Korean! How hard is it to say sarang-hae-yo? Really, both Daniel Henney and Dennis O'Neil need to learn some Korean if they're gonna stay in the industry instead letting the Koreans learn English instead.

But anyway...EOE seems to be hyped up quite a bit, only second to SHK's TWTTLI ...gonna be an interesting next few months.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Aug 10th, '08, 18:13

Hmm.. Yun Jung Hoon, I think he is pretty good of an actor but his English isn't good at all. I'm now watching Snow White and he had to speak some English in it, I sure hope it's gotten better!! I glanced at the cast and it sure seems to be good! Even Lee Yeon Hee is in it. I guess I have to watch this. It's a pity that Dennis Oh got a minor role... but him and LYH together, awww. They will make a great couple. and AWWW Park Gun Tae is there too! He sure did GREAT job in Misa and TBDaW

Well. Plot seems so typical but it seem sintresting. At least it's the stuff I like. Sounds like there is gonna be lotsa action. But if plot happens to suck I sure hope that cast would save it (like in lobbyist)

I think Daniel Henney should learn either English or Korean well because his English seriously sucks and his Korean sounds funny xD

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 11th, '08, 01:28

but she seems to have lost a bit of weight, which tends to happen to a lot of K-actresses who rise in fame. Too much pressure in the industry to be thin?
Da Hae is also a runner, so she's naturally skinny. I think a lot of it is just losing the babyfat, and cultural beauty standards the viewer brings in viewing them. Korean standards tend to prefer a more angular look (i.e. jawline and prominent nose.) If you prefer a moon or heart-shaped face with saucer-like eyes ("Chinese beauty"), then as they get older, they may seem less attractive.
But anyway...EOE seems to be hyped up quite a bit, only second to SHK's TWTTLI ...gonna be an interesting next few months.
MBC's 2008 season pretty much rests on this one show, and they've spent it like that too. The sales to China and Japan should help a lot, but they really need this show to pull Yi San (doing crazy business in China BTW) like numbers. High 20s and maybe 30s.
TWTTLI
There's some pressure on both Binnie and Hye Kyo to deliver with this show, even though the writer doesn't really write that kind of drama. Though I think this show, again, will do VERY VERY VERY well in China.

KKVL

Post by KKVL » Aug 16th, '08, 06:25

anyone know where i can get da songs to da drama?i heard FT Island's got a song to ... rite?

tourette

Post by tourette » Aug 25th, '08, 10:30

ah... i thinked it started airing today but it is just a special.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Aug 25th, '08, 16:46

Looking forward to this drama too. Hopefully, Lee Da Hae chose the right drama this time because Hello Miss and Robber just bored me or got too overdramatic.

roller

Post by roller » Aug 25th, '08, 16:49

Can't wait. Today is suppose to be the airing of the first ep.

xXvietbabiiXx

Post by xXvietbabiiXx » Aug 26th, '08, 04:32

Are there any groups subbing this drama?

Zealousy

Post by Zealousy » Aug 26th, '08, 04:48

^
WITH S2 is subbing it.

Mayumii

Post by Mayumii » Aug 26th, '08, 08:07

I seriously can't wait to watch this drama. I love Lee Da Hae and Song Seung Hun (<3333) so I hope it's gonna be a good drama. I watched the MV of it and really liked it so I don't think I'm gonna get disappointed lol.

Today is the special (25th) and tomorrow it will be episode 1&2 (i think xD)

oyohan

when will somebody post torrents?

Post by oyohan » Sep 3rd, '08, 04:39

anybody know when this will be up?

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 3rd, '08, 05:39

anybody know when this will be up?
Episodes 1+2 are available now with subs. You can find it at various sites.

dudubear

Post by dudubear » Sep 3rd, '08, 14:19

may i know where can i download this drama?... any direct download links available?.. thanks..

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Sep 3rd, '08, 15:38

You can direct download the episodes at >> http://nhatkyviet.com/2008/08/26/east-o ... jo-min-ki/

sunnyahn79

East of Eden Streaming Video

Post by sunnyahn79 » Sep 3rd, '08, 21:52

English Subtitle Episode 4 has been completed!!!

You can watch it without downloading :roll

Come and enjoy~!!

http://www.viikii.net/channels/goto/eastofeden

:argue: :goggle: :cheers: :thumleft:
Last edited by sunnyahn79 on Sep 3rd, '08, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: East of Eden Streaming Video

Post by WroW » Sep 3rd, '08, 22:00

sunnyahn79 wrote:You can watch it without downloading :roll

English Sub Ep.4 has been completed.

Your speed is amazing but I guess most people prefer downloading because of the quality :-) (*loves softsubs)

dudubear

Post by dudubear » Sep 4th, '08, 05:02

garnet07 wrote:You can direct download the episodes at >> http://nhatkyviet.com/2008/08/26/east-o ... jo-min-ki/

thanks for the links.. but i cant dl from megaupload.. it seems that the connection tht i have does not allow downloading from megaupload.. :pale:
do u know anywhere else i can dl the show.. from sendspace or filesend or filefactory etc?
thanks alot for ur help.. :salut:

jinloh

Post by jinloh » Sep 4th, '08, 05:39

:unsure: Hi... can some kind souls plea...se... help upload this great series onto d-addicts torrent? I rely mostly on this site. Thanks a million in advance.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Sep 4th, '08, 19:20

here is the OST if anyone needs it: http://www.badongo.com/file/11199176

dudubear

Post by dudubear » Sep 5th, '08, 13:24

maakopla wrote:here is the OST if anyone needs it: http://www.badongo.com/file/11199176
thanks for the OST :salut:

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Sep 5th, '08, 17:47

dudubear wrote:
garnet07 wrote:You can direct download the episodes at >> http://nhatkyviet.com/2008/08/26/east-o ... jo-min-ki/

thanks for the links.. but i cant dl from megaupload.. it seems that the connection tht i have does not allow downloading from megaupload.. :pale:
do u know anywhere else i can dl the show.. from sendspace or filesend or filefactory etc?
thanks alot for ur help.. :salut:
You can get no MU links from here but uploading's gonna be somewhat slow, maybe LINK

Anyways, I watched 2 first episode and this drama sucks. Every scene looks fake, acting is nothing and script sucks. Many converstations are over long. I knew to wait something like this. btw. Is it supposed to look like Soviet Union or World War 2? All those fancy cars and stuff...

I knew that plot is nothing special but so far it has been kinda boring. First episode was so fast paced and second slowed down too much. They needed 1 whole episode to kill someone?!! Then 30 minutes long mourning time? It started even before that person was dead. The balance is totally off.

On top on everything every scene looks like they are doing camera shots. People posing all around... going from one scene to another doesn't look smooth at all. I knew East of Eden is gonan be just a star wehicle but to this extend. So far even the starts have disappointed me! This totally reeks of Hollywood <_<

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Sep 6th, '08, 15:15

I was actually planning to watch the first 2 episodes to help me decide whether it's worth going the full 50, but heh, after reading your thoughts my interest in this series has waned quite a bit. Have you seen eps 3 & 4 though? Ratings seems to have improved dramatically.

FoolyDooly

Post by FoolyDooly » Sep 6th, '08, 15:25

To be very honest, I'm disappointed that there isn't new plot and they're just reworking on a old novel/movie.

If it turns out well, however... well... D:

Also, Song Seunghyun is great actor, so I'm not worried too much.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Sep 6th, '08, 21:51

kobe23 wrote:I was actually planning to watch the first 2 episodes to help me decide whether it's worth going the full 50, but heh, after reading your thoughts my interest in this series has waned quite a bit. Have you seen eps 3 & 4 though? Ratings seems to have improved dramatically.
I'm waiting for the subs so I haven't seen ep 3 and 4 yet. I really hope that younger cast is good though Lee Dan Hee... she sucks (no offence My Girl fans but I hated her because she doesn't know how to act).

You should still watch it yourself to check if you like it. You never know but I highly suspect you won't like it.

Dennis Oh will appear in following episodes <3 at least 1 hot guy^^ And well Yun Jung Hoon is pretty charming too, his acting is ok. (please do not look at wikipedia picture) I really like Park Gun Tae too, he already appeared at the end of ep2 and boy did I feel at ease when I saw him. This little guy's acting is superb and he is cute <3 I'm also looking forward Lee Yeon Hee, I really like her. I dunno about Song Seung Hun because I have never seen him in a drama before. But I have heard lotsa good about him so. My expectations aren't that high in the first place... but these are the ones I'm counting on.

Well, you know how in some dramas beginnings can be boring? I really hope this is one of those. But I am pretty sure that this is gonna flop like Lobbyist did. But Lobbyist was very lovable flop, I really loved that drama for some reason. Great cast, good ost and Harry + his gang (not actually fun but really fun) So if bad acting is gonna continue in the future East of Eden will turn my life into hell because since I started I just have to finish. At least a good cast can save drama from bad screenwriting so let's just pray.

I just checked the ratings. heh, they are nothing! At least better than Chil Woo got, die KBS2! :crazy: East of Eden will never beat Gourmet!! Go Kim Rae Won, show them all who's the daddy! :alcoholic: But well, that slight improvement is waking hopes in me.

I'm curious to hear your rants when you have watched first episodes Kobe23 :D

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Sep 6th, '08, 21:59

I am pretty sure this drama won't flop..in its second week it almost beat Gourmet in the ratings and next week they should easily break the 20%. So like it or not this one is a winner for MBC (rating wise).

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Sep 6th, '08, 23:11

We will see that.

tourette

Post by tourette » Sep 7th, '08, 10:02

i watched the 2 first episodes too and, like Maakopla, have to admit that it is painfully dull so far. but, that is just the beginning and the main cast will not be introduced until episode 4.
anyways, it is true that the starting script made me wonder why they planned 50 episodes.
if it doesn't go deeper than that, that drama will be really boring and draggy.
technically speaking, it is also true that the cinematography is a bit disappointing since i am currently watching the director prior drama (La Dolce Vita) that has some of the most beautiful shot i saw in a drama (the shots in Hokkaido). here, most of the scenes look visually fake and the actors are indeed, bad. some things are so overdone that it becomes painful (i can't stand that sign the boy & his father do all the time they have a scene together and that ends the 2nd episode. wth ? is it the only thing they found to make us understand they like each other and have a close relationship ?)

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 7th, '08, 19:43

Episode 1

Oooh really mixed about the episode.
I LOVED the portion of the story that covered the coal mining community, and the very struggle between the union organizer Lee Gi Chul and President Shin Tae Hwan. (Worth noting that Jo Min Ki, who plays Shin Tae Hwan, also played Yong-ee's biological father in Iljimae.)

The writing took care to ground their conflict in the real bleak details of the mining life rather than pity histrionics, using the refrain of a coal miner's song, the plum blotched bruises on the shoulders of every single miner, birds in a cage to help signal when the air in the mine was poisonous, etc. More than that, the acting between Min Ki and Jong Won (Dong Chul's father Gi Chul), is nicely played and modulated. Jong Wong has a way of using a smile to convey different shades of amusement, embarassment, and warmth, which he does here too to give texture to his relationship with family. And then it sets up how this everyman Gi Chul then shifts into a quietly charismatic and truly strong man when he confronts the Shin Tae Hwan. And it's well directed, the scene allowed to evolve and play without music or too tight closeups to "lead" the viewer.

If I'm not mistaken, Go Doo Shim (More Beautiful than a Flower) plays Gi Chul's wife. She was the best written character; HER character felt absolutely authentic, like the gritty, unsentimental, rough but definitely "salt of the earth" values of her coal mining town was expressed through her. The acting performance was funny without being silly, and her scenes with Jong Won regarding infidelities, his "hobby" as an activist and other things plays like a real marraige.

I like Kim Jin Man more as an actor's director and less as a stylist. Which is to say, he's definitely a stylist, with the way he likes to mess around with color filtering and do scene-in-scene edits and splits to introduce characters and foreshadow plot points. On one hand, his style differs a lot from other K-drama TV directors in that he generally doesn't like to construct a scene for emotional impact.

Rather more like a good Korean film director, he forces you to piece together the narrative thread and to observe the actual acting in the characters, even if you're not necessarily understanding what the scene actually is. Sometimes this more naturalistic approach makes people's performance seem better than they would otherwise be, because you become extra-sensitive to the cadences and nuances of the actors. And also he doesn't waste time lingering on a shot to hone in on emotional impact. It's more demanding on the viewer, and at times it makes the weakness in the first episode's script more obvious. But, at the same time, it gives the coal mining town scenes the gritty vibe that it needs without turning it into a pity-party history lesson.

On the other hand, as a stylist, I just don't like his style very much (though there's an early use of fade to black with Song Seung Heung which works beautifully.) That includes Bittersweet Life/Le Dolce Vita and Ireland. At times, he approaches it as a powerpoint presentation, using visuals and such to clarify story. But at the same time, it almost makes the presentation kinda cheesy because he isn't using the special effects to create a poetic sequence or underline an emotion. Often, it's not even there to really convey mood.

That becomes more problematic for the other 50% of the episode. The opening action sequence is competently done, but it isn't as fun as it should be. The establishing shots of the coal mining shots look kinda fake. There's a bunch of pregnancies with a bunch of mothers that happened roughly at the same time; we have no clue who is who. Nor we do really care all that much. So, yeah, you have switched babies, aborted babies, weeping mothers, and a foreshadowing of the main character's father, but you're also kinda "ehhh, so what?" Part of it is the messy, all-the-over-map writing that dilutes the slice of 1961 in the coal mining community. But, really, part of it is these moments are only worth a damn when a director is willing to milk the emotional melodrama. Not here though. The piles of suffering just kinda happen in succession and you're trying to process who is who only because you know this show is 50 episodes and has a convoluted family tree. It's tedious work, kind of a character accounting.

So, even though there's lots of action bits, lots of melodrama bits, lots of bleaky, gritty bits, and lots of mano-a-mano details, the first episode really is kinda dull, distant, and at times kinda cheesy/shlocky for the matching budget. But there's still bits here and there, and the acting seems overall better quality to suggest the story has potential, if nothing else but to promise Song Seung Heon's best performance on TV or film.

Episode 2

I guess it's clearer why they called this East of Eden. The original novel was Steinbeck's adaptation of Cain and Abel, and it looks like the core story of this drama will be whether Lee Dong Chul can accept being his (biological) brother's keeper.

Episode 2 is emotionally exhausting. As maakopla says, a key character dies and that part of the story is a continuous 20-30 minutes. I'm not sure how many people here have seen Ireland, but it's the same director and the same approach to human grief. In other words, people are genuinely hysterical, and there's a mix of grief, hatred, regret, and love that plays out during those scenes.

I like the story so far. It's not especially original, but as long as they focus on the coal mining town details and keep the acting, it's still engaging.
I think Go Doo Shim is definitely the character playing Lee Dong Chul's mother. And anyway, this character absolutely owns this episode, with the realness of her performance as well as the quality of her dialogue. It was all very, very well done. Thought the funeral scene was very well done, from how Lee Dong Chul's mother .

And it has to be said -- Lee Dong Gul's dad gets around. When it's revealed that he bore children with both women, part of you goes "WTF?!?!?!? Are we supposed to grieve over this jerk?!?" And in any case, that means that through Episodes 1 and 2, there have been a total of four births (one presumably aborted), and at least one switched birth.

There's not much more to add here. I like the cinematography here in this episode more, and the director's choices in colour contrasts. I also really liked how the director depicted the culture of the mining town (and even the funeral procession was well done) and paid attention to how grim this life really is.

I haven't paid much attention to the family tree diagram, so I'm still waiting on who will be the Lee Dae Hae and Han Ji Hye characters.
I am pretty sure this drama won't flop..in its second week it almost beat Gourmet in the ratings and next week they should easily break the 20%. So like it or not this one is a winner for MBC (rating wise).
I think it's about expectations. The MBC promotion behind EofE is perhaps even more than what was given to the Legend last year, and for this show to be a real success, it needs to flirt with national drama status (i.e. ~30.) One problem is the casting. In order to drive ratings into the high 20s, they need to connect with the traditional ajumma viewership, but majority of the main casting is really young or relatively new. Lee Dae Hae, Han Ji Hye, and Park Hae Jin were all leads in KBS daily dramas, so that might have gone into their choices.

However, East of Eden won't have much competition until late fall. Tazza may end up being good or really, really, really bad.

It's worth noting again that this director is known as an actor's director. Song Seung Heon needs to deliver the best performance of his career in order for the drama to fly, but I've seen SSH in tough guy roles and he's actually good. Part of his acting issues -- as with SHK -- is that they're often associated with roles that IMO weren't well suited them. So for SSH to play a guy who's tortured yet bad ass is probably the way to go. And we should expect this to be LDH's best performance as well, as long as they ground her reputation as a weep queen.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Sep 7th, '08, 20:38

(i can't stand that sign the boy & his father do all the time they have a scene together and that ends the 2nd episode. wth ? is it the only thing they found to make us understand they like each other and have a close relationship ?)
I felt the same way. It was kinda fake and stupid. When Dong Chul did that thing at his dad's funerals I started laughing. I know it was supposed to be "oh, so touching" but it looked just stupid.

ooh, bellez. I was waiting for you. Just a couple of days ago I was wondering if you will watch this stuff and if no then, that's a pity. Glad to see you here. You always write such great rants!!
If I'm not mistaken, Go Doo Shim (More Beautiful than a Flower) plays Gi Chul's wife. She was the best written character; HER character felt absolutely authentic, like the gritty, unsentimental, rough but definitely "salt of the earth" values of her coal mining town was expressed through her. The acting performance was funny without being silly, and her scenes with Jong Won regarding infidelities, his "hobby" as an activist and other things plays like a real marraige.
Dramawiki says it's Lee Mi Sook who plays Gi Chul's wife. She is pretty! I feel like she is best of them too. At first i found her rather annoying but I learned to like her because I definitely felt that her acting was more real than anyone's else's. Though when I first saw her I only needed 5 seconds to understand what kind of character she's gonna be. While I looked at her wolfing that food down I immediately knew she is gonna be a woman who finds it very hard to express her feelings, someone who may seem very rude with bad temper. But of course the script will let us see that she actually loves her husband so much and yada yada. I don't mind cliches, what isn't cliche nowadays? But you have to use them right to make them look good. Then there is this "We are soo poor please pity us" part. GAH! To tell the truth I'm sick of it. I know that being poor is not enjoyable but where is the pride of these people?!
(Worth noting that Jo Min Ki, who plays Shin Tae Hwan, also played Yong-ee's biological father in Iljimae.)
I actually liked him more in Iljimae. That role suited him so much better. He is supposed to be the real badass of the drama but to me he isn't bad enough, he loos too kind. I want to see some real glaring and stuff, I want his character to be more msyterious. I dunno, a person with cold heart and good brains and lotsa plotting, plotting and plotting. Then again, is he supposed to be that bad? Isn't it only the pressure of his wife's father that drives him do these nasty things? Od are these dirty things he does now the reason why he will become even worse in the future?

Did anyone else think that chasing scene in ep 1 was rather unrealistic, to h*ll with unrealistic, lets just say stupid. The guy seriously couldn't drive at all. He is trying to shake some gangsters away but he turns left and right, then brakes, then left and right and then brakes again. wtf?! + SSH doing fancy tricks with his bike (like saving that lady, I was like "Oh please" Korean superman #4 has appeared. /1st is the real superman, 2nd is Harry from Lobbyist, 3rd is Goni from Tazza/ lol)
There's a bunch of pregnancies with a bunch of mothers that happened roughly at the same time; we have no clue who is who. Nor we do really care all that much.
Yeah, I can somehow, just somehow understand Dong Chul's mom, nurse and Tae Hwan's wife since it was very, very important thing considered the plot. (but presented overly dramatically maybe?)
Mad nurse trying to strangle newborn baby with lightnings and hard rain on the background... Then she decided to switch it with mohawk baby xD The babies were WAY too big to be newborn my guess is that they were about 1 year old. I know they cannot use newborn babies but what about even a bit smaller or something. Or how about instead of styling their hair just shave it off?
But that train station man's daughter was a bit too much. I mean, she appeared out of nowhere, she wasn't introduced well enough and we should care for her? She had maybe 2 scenes, and she just wept and it was oh so dramatic.
However, East of Eden won't have much competition until late fall. Tazza may end up being good or really, really, really bad.
That's true. Let's hope Tazza's gonna be good and sweep All In from the earth. I mean, lotsa gambling please and no corny love relationships! If it's gonna be as good as the movie was, no, I wish it would be better... then I'm gonan be SOOO HAPPY! And the cast seems promising to me! I think the greater competitor for Tazza is Beethoven Virus, though genres are totally different.
And we should expect this to be LDH's best performance as well, as long as they ground her reputation as a weep queen.
Let's pray together. I have no expectations from her. I just wish she has gotten better and her role is well written. If she hasn't gotten better at least a well written role might save her somehow.

East of Eden has one great point. At least we can rant about it and rant and rant and rant. I love that part the most. You know, there are plenty dramas that you have nothing to say about.

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 8th, '08, 01:04

. While I looked at her wolfing that food down I immediately knew she is gonna be a woman who finds it very hard to express her feelings, someone who may seem very rude with bad temper
See, it's not just that. Her ajuhmma character perfectly expresses a type of woman of that time and therefore the working-class character of 1961 South Korea. The way she coarsely curses her husband and son and her fate is just a perfect characterization. The way she walks out of the hospital with her baby barely a day after giving a birth and goes for the alkie. Now, that's a REAL Korean!! :D

It's something that I wish the writers better correlated, though -- how her kind of hard character was a nececarry byproduct of that environment, where death by accident could happen any given day, where every wage worker came back with black in their lungs, and where their entire livelihood was indebted to The Company. The adultery situation, the dangerous nature of her husband's work, the limits of her own professional status, she's about surviving all. As is her community. In spite of the hellish conditions of their hardship, there is solidarity, there is still communal bonds, there is still hope in their children.
know that being poor is not enjoyable but where is the pride of these people?!
Nah, I disagree with that. I see enormous pride with these people (but the stereotypical Korean character is not that different from the stereotypical Irish temparment of being both proud AND oppressed/long-suffering), with how she defiantly and rightfully accuses the president for their murder, or how she tells her son that she must be the man in the household. All of it plays true to me, and the stories my friends would tell me as well.
It was kinda fake and stupid. When Dong Chul did that thing at his dad's funerals I started laughing.
Yeah, it's very anachronistic. It's something similar to the 2 finger chest pump "where my boys at!!" salute Lee Ji Ah and hip-hop cats does in their interviews. Something that you wouldn't see at all in that time.
He is supposed to be the real badass of the drama but to me he isn't bad enough, he loos too kind. I want to see some real glaring and stuff, I want his character to be more msyterious.
I actually wonder whether he's the main antagonist in the show (frankly, there's just not enough story regarding their collective situation to make him a suitable villain for 50 episodes.) He's not . . . great. If anything, he comes across as kind of a tool or servant in his own right, rendered somewhat pathetic for the way he weasels out of situations by virtue of his position. And he's not as powerful as he seems, really serving the interests of the South Korean military dictatorship.
He is trying to shake some gangsters away but he turns left and right, then brakes, then left and right and then brakes again. wtf?! + SSH doing fancy tricks with his bike (like saving that lady, I was like "Oh please" Korean superman #4 has appeared. /1st is the real superman, 2nd is Harry from Lobbyist, 3rd is Goni from Tazza/ lol)
it's . . . okay. I mean, this is something that you'd expect from K-drama from the 90s to impress viewers. The action scene doesn't really measure up to recent sets from the Lobbyist (which itself was extremely violent and cheesy in its own right) or Time of Dog and Wolf, Air City, or Homicide Investigation Team. I think in a way East of Eden may be mispromoted as an "action" show. It's just too slow and too intricate for that. I can kinda see East of Eden as an attempt by MBC to do Sandglass 2008 or a 1990s-style Hong Kong action melodrama.
Yeah, I can somehow, just somehow understand Dong Chul's mom, nurse and Tae Hwan's wife since it was very, very important thing considered the plot. (but presented overly dramatically maybe?)
Yeah, I kinda shrugged at that. I mean, it's obviously an important plot point (since it sets up the core story), but it was also kinda . . . "okay, poor girl, so?!?" I was more distracted by the makeup they applied to the poor nurse. She looked like she was dying! :D
But that train station man's daughter was a bit too much. I mean, she appeared out of nowhere, she wasn't introduced well enough and we should care for her? She had maybe 2 scenes, and she just wept and it was oh so dramatic.
I think the same applies for the priest. I think the priest is important too. But we have no frigging idea at this point. For anybody starting this show, you just have to get used to seeing lots of people do lots of KERAZY shiznit that you have NO CLUE who they are or why they are important.
That's true. Let's hope Tazza's gonna be good and sweep All In from the earth. I mean, lotsa gambling please and no corny love relationships! If it's gonna be as good as the movie was, no, I wish it would be better... then I'm gonan be SOOO HAPPY! And the cast seems promising to me! I think the greater competitor for Tazza is Beethoven Virus, though genres are totally different.
I actually love All In (aka "That Show Where Koreans Teach Cholos How To Roundhouse Kick!!") , probably one of my 5 favorite K-dramas, even if the last 4-5 episodes kinda poops all over.

I'm surprised so many people actually have high expectations for Tazza. First, adapting a famous movie into a drama itself smacks of commercial and creative desperation from SBS. Second, I don't think people realize that if Han Ye Seul is bad (and it's 50/50 frankly) in her role, the drama gets brought down BIG TIME.

Then again, Tazza may be great. I love the men, it's the Barbie Doll in between that's problematic for me. ;)
I think the greater competitor for Tazza is Beethoven Virus, though genres are totally different.
Actually I was talking about evening lineups. East of Eden and Tazza are competing in the Mon Tuesday timeslot, and their demographics are pretty much the same. Honestly, I think SBS put Tazza there as a sacrificial lamb. In the Thursday/Friday slot, you got Beethoven Virus, Kingdom of the Wind, and Painter in the Wind. Kingdom and Painter will vy for the #1 spot, and BV is scheduled as MBC's counterprogramming darkhorse. (In other words, BV may not get good ratings but they may get high Netizen viewership due to Jang Geun Seuk's idol status, the association with Nodame Cantabile, and the cult following of the director.)

Zealousy

Post by Zealousy » Sep 8th, '08, 01:31

Wow, you really hate that Director even more by the episodes. Especially episode 3. :\

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 8th, '08, 02:30

Especially episode 3. :
No kidding! I just finished episode 3. Even without subs, I think that could have been the single most depressing episode in the history of K-drama!! Episode :O

Emotional torture = :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: for Belleza!! :lol

So, it looks like all the main actors will start appearing in Episode 4. Lee Dae He's character will be the train man's daughter, so I think initially there will be a triangle between LDH, Park Hae Jin's character (son of President) and Yun Jung Hoon's character (Lee Dong Chul's younger brother.)

And uhhh oh yeah, from the ending stuff from episode 3, this look like the perfect role for SSH. I know I've said all this stuff about him, but honestly I think the Man is LOVE. :D

EDIT: Just finished Episode 4 (loved it even though I didn't understand the dialogue.) Main cast hasn't appeared yet, but they're showing more future clips. Oh and from those clips, SSH is channeling his inner "All In", 100% bad ass.

Nyar Nyar

East of Eden ending??LDH & SSH??

Post by Nyar Nyar » Sep 9th, '08, 05:12

Hi dear all,

I'm one of K-drama fan & Song & Da Hae are my favs; It's really great to see both of them in this series.

But i've read in some reviews & comments that there are other co-stars & love triangle between them.

And I cannot wait to see the ending & am asking this in this page.

Kindly tell me will Lee Da hae(hyerim) & Song(Dong Chul) end up together.
I wish they can live happily together at the end.

Pls....
Thks in advnace, Nyarnyar

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 9th, '08, 05:41

Nyar Nyar --

The show just started (episode 6 just finished today), and this show will run 50 episodes (maybe more if MBC smells a runaway hit?) Given how K-dramas work, it'll probably either have SSH/LDH ending up together, or SSH will die tragically.

Nyar Nyar

East of Eden ending

Post by Nyar Nyar » Sep 9th, '08, 07:34

Dear Belleza,

Thanks much for your kind attetnion & quick reply.

As it's just started & should we wait/patient till 50, that's Okey. I can wait & love to see SSH & LDH.

But I wish they will end up together. pls. don't let SSH die(Huh! another Autumn tales).

Warm rgds,
Nyarnyar

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 9th, '08, 08:54

Watching Episode 5+6 right now. At the end of Episode 5, the main cast finally arrives.

I have to be honest. I was completely wrong about East of Eden. Dude, put up with the first 3 episodes. Episode 4 is when East of Eden starts to really have fun.

Starting with episode 4, this show suddenly goes from inconsistent and kinda dull to OMFG STUNNING -- this is like the realistic, super-super gut wrenching version of All In meets Green Rose. Or in other words, the over-the-top, tragic gangsta histrionics of Green Rose, the power games and intrigue of money of All, with some of the actorly naturalism of Le Dolce Vita (some of the best acting here is between the gangs. Very gritty, intense, and just very gritty. The casting was especially well done here,)

Oh and Kim Bum is going to win a MBC award for his performance. I'm just stunned how good he is here. It's like I'm watching the second coming of Jo In Sung, pretty yet so deeply volatile and a little crazy here. I can't believe he's only 19 years old, nothing he's done before prepares you for the wall-to-wall intensity he's doing as the teenage Lee Dong Chul. There's fear, there's anguish, there's balls-out hatred, but above all, you're constantly riveted to Lee Dong Chul here.

If the story can maintain this momentum, this show could be huge,

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Sep 9th, '08, 16:18

Sounds great belleza. Are you sure you don't work for MBC? kidding :)

Well judging by your comments it does seem like EoE has lived up to its hype and might actually be worth investing a few months into this drama. So fast forward eps 1-3?, yay or nay? It would also be nice to hear an alternate opinion (for ep 4+): maakopla? anyone else?

Just checked the ratings and ep 6 has shot up into the low 20's. If this run of improvement continues, we might well see it hit the 30's pretty soon which is not good news for Tazza in which I'm really looking forward to. I watched 'Miss Gold Digger' last night and to my surprise I thought Han Ye-Seul did a pretty good job. Much better than what she did in Gumiho and Fantasy Couple anyway. I'm sure she'll be fine for Tazza.

Anyway, do keep us updated with this drama, and yes, SSH will get hit by a truck at the end. You heard it here first!!

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 9th, '08, 17:49

If this run of improvement continues, we might well see it hit the 30's pretty soon which is not good news for Tazza in which I'm really looking forward to.
See, the thing that really hurts the new Tazza is that -- from the looks of it -- East of Eden may already have covered some of the similar territory. Basically, episode 4-6 kinda play like Lee Dong Chul's KERAZY adventures, and one of them covers gangsters and underground casinos. BTW, it should be said that EofE plays it much, much more violently than All In; you truly get the sense that these people will literally stab each other in the back with an actual knife in order if it meant mo' money.

Episode 6 slows down a lot, but this is also the episode where the adult main characters show up (and yes Dennis O'Neil graces himself too.) Curiously, Lee Dae Hae's character hasn't shown up yet. I originally thought (haven't really paid attention to the wiki family tree) that she would play the train man's daughter, but I guess not.

I still believe SBS has programmed Tazza to be their sacrificial lamb. It vies for the same audience as EofE, and its overall action-oriented tone is not that different. I think East of Eden has a shot into 30s if they keep the story momentum a lot. MBC is big-time whoring this project, and the truth is, given their lackluster year, they need East of Eden to perform like a true blockbuster.

The true heavies The World That They Live In and Dr. Stop are probably both going to compete with East of Eden when EofE finishes about half of its run.
SSH will get hit by a truck at the end. You heard it here first!!
Joon-sah!! Joon-sah!!! WAAAAAAAAA!!!!! (actually I remember sobbing during the funeral bit, and then breaking into all-out laughter when he flew in the air like that.)

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Sep 10th, '08, 13:33

But, but...Tazza's promotional posters look so good! And as we all know, attractive posters always guarantees success! For me, Tazza is something I don't necessarily expect to succeed, but I just want it to do well. It looks like a well produced project with a good cast and interesting theme. What's not to like about it?

Recently I have found myself increasingly attracted to dramas revolving around a central theme such as the upcoming 'Beethoven Virus' and 'Triple'. I'm kinda sick of the typical Hallyu dramas which are essentially "melodramas about nothing". Dr Stop might be interesting too, I haven't heard much about it, but I think it has something to do with boxing? Not sure, but at least it's about something. Do you really think it'll be a heavyweight though? I can't imagine it'll be strong enough to knockout TWTLI or EoE. I can't think of anymore boxing puns either. Oh well, might as well throw in the towel. :P

tourette

Post by tourette » Sep 10th, '08, 17:12

OMG!!! I watched ep3 and am still without voice. i already knew it would be mediocre but i couldn't imagine it would have one of the most cheesy scene i ever saw in a kdrama!
the scene when Dong Chul tells Dong Wook about how their father died. the live recreation of the past, that dust&scratches filter added on the flashbacks... the way the brothers keep screaming at each other instead of speaking...
hopefully, that will be the last crappy episode of the drama, but, i am still astonished to see so weak directive choices from a veteran director in a production of that importance.
an other major flaw for me (so far) is that their is something lacking about the "bad guy". can't tell if it's the acting or just that he purposely act wicked but the character looks flat (no inner darkness ?). i don't really know and i will probably never look at that 3 episodes ever again.

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 10th, '08, 18:26

Oh I forgot to mention a while, but it's interesting that they have Han Ji Hye cast in East of Eden. When Summer Scent was airing, there was tension between Song Seung Heun and Han Ji Hye (who was, I think, making her debut.) Ji Hye had made some offhand comments (to the effect that she understood why Hye Kyo and Byung Hung fell in love during All In) in an interview, which in turn sparked persistent rumours that SSH and HJH were dating. This lack of discretion really, really angered SSH (friends with both LBH and SHK, and probably then dating Sung Yu Ri who is also close to SHK), and apparently the working atmosphere was tense between then two.
I'm kinda sick of the typical Hallyu dramas which are essentially "melodramas about nothing".
See, I'm probably the opposite, because I've been craving a good tearjerker lately. My favorite K-drama this year is Women in the Sun so far. I cried buckets, and I loved the acting and how the story bit off Hamlet in places. Also the cast is beautiful, and I think you'll like it.

I think for me, because I watch a lot of J-dramas, it kinda satiates my need for original and theme-based storylines. If you ever watch J-dramas, you get stuffed with strongly typed (i.e. is this a school drama, a medical drama, a mystery drama etc.) narratives where the themes are obliquely expressed in the episode titles. That type of stuff is popular with critics and boys, because each episode is about "something" (and therefore substantiates the watching of it), but the actual arrangement of the plot is also formulaic in its own right and it strongly covers up the tepid acting and "lead by the hand" approach toward character development. And sometimes it's tedious because it turns into an exercise in "detail gathering" where you're actually anticipating the thematic endpoints that in turn qualify the changing disposition of the characters. In other words, in J-drama, plot changes people. Whereas in K-drama, people change people.
Dr Stop might be interesting too, I haven't heard much about it, but I think it has something to do with boxing? Not sure, but at least it's about something. Do you really think it'll be a heavyweight though?
I think, on paper, it's still a medical drama. Because it's So Ji Sup's comeback show and that virtually ever medical drama has performed well, there should be pretty strong interest in it. But what's happened this year is that almost all of the "prestige shows" are being pit against each other. It hasn't been like this since 2004 maybe. Not everything can succeed. It's also weird to see SJS's best friend and SJS's most famous on-air costar competing with him onair.
For me, Tazza is something I don't necessarily expect to succeed, but I just want it to do well. It looks like a well produced project with a good cast and interesting theme. What's not to like about it?
Yeah Tazza may be really, really good. And part of it is my bias against Han Ye Seul; I don't think she can play a femme fatale or Madam sufficiently, with or without her ample cleavage. The movie is supposed to be much darker than the original comic, and so they can dial down the grifter and dolls vibe for the TV show. I'm glad the show is not coming out right now though, since I'm well behind on my list. :)

The truth is, ALL of the current and to-be-aired shows (East of Eden, Beethoven Virus, Kingdom of the Wind, Painter in the Wind, Tazza), are must-see for me. That's 5 shows. That's a lot of "actor stares into space because the writers couldn't finish this week's script." Then late in the fall, you got "Autumn Tale? Autumn Hell!!!" programming with East of Eden, World That They Live In, and Dr. Stop.
the live recreation of the past, that dust&scratches filter added on the flashbacks.
Yeah, I thought it was a little cheesy. That's part of the director's style, consistent with his work in Le Dolce Vita and Ireland.
i am still astonished to see so weak directive choices from a veteran director in a production of that importance.
I actually liked that bit. Screaming is the only appropriate reaction between brothers. :D
an other major flaw for me (so far) is that their is something lacking about the "bad guy". can't tell if it's the acting or just that he purposely act wicked but the character looks flat (no inner darkness ?
I agree with that, but thinking it over, I think that's also one thing I like about the show. To put it another way, Shin Hae Twang didn't really consider Lee Dong Chul or Lee Dong Chul's father as a true rival. Both guys are "problems" among many, many other "problems" that he encounters through in his job, and most of the time, he does evil for the bidding of even more evil men. He is effectively a mid-level manager among other mid-level managers climbing the ladder of karmic sin.

And in addition, although he has an often adverse relationship with the coal mining workers, he needs them just as they need him. It is an inherently symbiotic relationship, and that relationship is what keeps affecting/ruining Dong Chul's family. And at the same time, in episode 6, it's also clear that this exploitation onto the proletariat manifests in the evolution of the town itself through the decades. The Machine continuously grinds the people. Yet the people continue to multiply and survive as one people, and it looks like Dong Wook is to emerge as a working class hero, something to be.

Nyar Nyar

Oh! Song wil be hit by a Truck(Again??)

Post by Nyar Nyar » Sep 11th, '08, 03:22

Dear Kobe23,

I'm really fell sad to know the end from you. SSH will be hit by a Truck(again?? like in Autumn Tales). Pls. tell MBC, donot make anymore tragedy like that(kill all our beloved characters). Will LDH die too, together with SSH??
I cannot help it & don't think I can endure to see for that kind of ending.

Anyway, maybe if it's there a lot of scenes between SSH & LDH, I'll enjoy them & not to watch the ending.

Warm rgds,
Nyarnyar

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Sep 11th, '08, 23:41

Dear Nyar Nyar,

East of Eden is still only up to episode 6 so no one knows how it's gonna end. My comment about about SSH being hit by a truck is just a joke and nothing more. Although I wouldn't be surprised if SSH got hit by something at the end :)

Enjoy the series and don't worry too much about how it'll end since it's all about the journey, and not the destination.

Sincerest regards,
Kobe.

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 12th, '08, 00:46

Enjoy the series and don't worry too much about how it'll end since it's all about the journey, and not the destination.
A long long long journey . . .

Yeah, kobe23 and I were just being facetious about the end. I think the possibility of LDH dying is about zilcho, but I really don't know about SSH. Let's just say that I hope SSH's character never goes back home (yikes.) Life just seems SO much happier for him in Macao even if he has to work more jobs than a Jamaican in Queens. :D

Nyar Nyar

Kobe23 & Bezella

Post by Nyar Nyar » Sep 12th, '08, 05:30

Hi Kobe23 & Bezella,

Even if it is a joke, I'm now happy & cheer up again cause of your words(Our prince will not die at the end). Hee Hee..
Will enjoy the sceneries of both SSH & LDH as I saw pictures of them together in some web pages & they really look cute together.(Apart from Song Hay Gyo, LDH is really matched with SSH other than actress).Maybe both of them can act v-well on screen.

By the way, in some of yours, I saw SSH is dating Sung Yu Ri( I thought she is a grilfriend of Gong Yu(Coffee prince). Right?

Warm Rgds,
Nyarnyar

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 12th, '08, 06:36

Will enjoy the sceneries of both SSH & LDH as I saw pictures of them together in some web pages
Honestly, I've never really felt strongly about any pairing with SSH (though I've always thought Sung Yu Ri would make a great match.) For example, I always thought Won Bin should have played Joon-sa; his chemistry with Song Hye Kyo was fire.

His rapport with guys is actually much stronger IMO, because in real life, he's the perfect hyung ("older brother".) Protective, loyal, and always one of the boys. I often call SSH the George Clooney of Hallyu, because he's like best friends with almost every Hallyu star -- So Ji Sub, Park Yong Ha, Lee Byung Hun, and Kwon Sang Woo.

Lee Dae Hae could be potent with him though.
By the way, in some of yours, I saw SSH is dating Sung Yu Ri( I thought she is a grilfriend of Gong Yu(Coffee prince).
Sung Yu Ri is rumoured to be dating Yoo Ha-Joon, who was in One Fine Day with Gong Yoo. Some people speculated that Gong Yoo might have liked Yu Ri, though. Even before Coffee Prince, Gong Yoo has been rumoured to be attached with many leading ladies though (esp. Im So Jung and Gong Hyo Jin, with whom he's just friends), but it seems that the honest truth is that he just has a lot of friendships. He's expressed that his ideal woman would actually be older than him (like Kim Sun Ah?)

SSH and Sung Yu Ri dated probably 2002 and 2003, around their Andre Kim fashion appearance, relatively after FinKl ended. So this was before Sung Yu Ri was really committed to becoming an actress. The word was they didn't date all that long though. Not like say Song Hye Kyo and Lee Byung Hun -- word there was that relationship almost became a marriage.

Here was their appearance at the Andre Kim show.

Nyar Nyar

Sung Yu Ri with Yoo jun hoon

Post by Nyar Nyar » Sep 12th, '08, 08:23

Hi Belleza,

I'm really pleased to have a reply whenever I've posted anytime.

Oh do you mean the museum manager(in One fine day) who is Yu Ri's superior & loves her v much. Oh! he's one of my eye candy in that series although he is not v good looking. I don't like Gong Yu in that series. If it is real, I will clap & cheer to the lovely couple(Yu Ri & Yoo).

As for me, I don't think LDH is just a potent to SSH. Have you seen the picture that I mentioned before. In that, she looks at SSH with a bright & lovely smile which means she's really fall for him & SSH smiles shining(Oops! I mean it on screen)

Anyway, thanks again.

Hope to keep in touch & update our EOE series as long as it airs & just drop me a mail once you know the ending. Sorry! it is my bad habit that I want to know in advance the ending of the series & feel good.

Warm Rgds,
Nyarnyar

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 12th, '08, 09:03

Oh do you mean the museum manager(in One fine day) who is Yu Ri's superior & loves her v much.
Oh no no no. It was the brother who was hot for his half-sister until he found out he was really hot for his blood sister. Character quit his incest fantasy real quick, but apparently the actor ended up winning Sung Yu Ri's heart anyway.

Nyar Nyar

Oh! that's really

Post by Nyar Nyar » Sep 17th, '08, 07:59

Hi Belleza,

Oh! Is him(yeah I notice he's also cute although a villan in that part)., her half brother.

I also seen in one of Kim Ji Hwan(Hong Gil Dong) , he & SYR are giving birthday presents each other, Uh, there' s may be sth btwn them, right? Hee Hee...

Warm Rgds,
Nyarnyar
p.s- I do request one more thing(if it is posible), have you also watched"Before & After Plastic surgery clinic, by Kim Sung Min & So Yi Hyun). I'm also interested & eager to know whether Kim & SYH end up together(Oops! I did it again-Britney Spears), as one of my bad habit to know the ending in adv. As there is also another one, Lee Jin Wook(from Smile again) leading role in that series. Could you pls reply me, hm?

sunnyahn79

East of Eden English Subtitle Episode 9

Post by sunnyahn79 » Sep 24th, '08, 02:53

Hey guys,

East of Eden English Subtitle Episode 9 has been completed
and Episode 10(row) has been uploaded. Check it out! :)

Nyar Nyar

Is Lee Da Hae show up

Post by Nyar Nyar » Sep 24th, '08, 04:20

Hi Sunnyahn,

Thanks for your kind post.
But what a pity! I cannot even take a peep as our line's not good properly & donot have Adobe Flash player.

Can you pls. just tell me is our cutie-Lee Da Hae Shown up & match with Song?

Thks in adv,
Nyarnyar

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 24th, '08, 05:41

Can you pls. just tell me is our cutie-Lee Da Hae Shown up & match with Song?
Lee Da Hae doesn't show up until -- I think -- the end of Episode 7. She and the Dong Wul meet during the Gwang-ju Massacre or Uprising. It's pretty scary, actually.

LDH's acting BTW is by far the best of all the younger leads, including Song Seung Heon (who's actually pretty good here.) Her performance is strong, intelligent, insightful, and consistently interesting (just love her line deliveries, so sharp and crisp here), and unlike the other younger actors, she avoids overacting. It's as if this role was MADE for her.

This is by far SSH's best performance. The one thing that still kills his acting is his inability to convey various moods and emotions through facial expressions without really hamming it up. Ironically, he's being paired right now with Lee Yeon Hee who, acting skills aside, has a phenomenal relationship with the camera.

Through 9 episodes, East of Eden has split into 2 storylines, one in Macao (SSH's story <-- which definitely is a Green Rose/All In-ish throwback to 90s HK Thrillers), and the other in South Korea (SSH's brother, LDH, rest of family <-- heavy-handed melodrama with some historic backstory around the 1980/81 student demonstrations.) The 9th episode ends with the introduction scene from the 1st episode.

I'm guessing that LDH and SSH don't formally met until near the 20s or so; they're actually building the relationship between LDH and SSH's brother right now.

Nyar Nyar

Oh! how can I wait till 20?

Post by Nyar Nyar » Sep 26th, '08, 05:28

Dear Belleza,

Oh! up to 20, they(Song & LDH) won't meet each other?
Um.. Okay let' s wait & see the rest 30 parts, right?

But still would like to request you to kindly update me on this page this series as it hasn't aired up yet in our country.
I'm so looking forward to see my fav:(Song & LDH) pair up.

Also would like to thank you for your kind & so good detailed so that I think I can see the scenes as it shown before my sight. Really.

Warm Rgds,
Nyarnyar

kim_calvz

Lee Da Hae and Seung Hun already met up!

Post by kim_calvz » Oct 2nd, '08, 09:51

they already met up on Episode 11
its kinda quite short meeting up but, they looked good together
Hye-rin(Lee Da-Hae) asked Dong-chul(Song Seung-Hun) to accompany her from the venue.
Lee Da-Hae broke her shoe heels, Song Seung-Hun helped her and they rode the motorcycle together.
Nyarnyar try to watch it on www.viikii.net/channels/goto/eastofeden

Nyar Nyar

Oh finally they meet each other.

Post by Nyar Nyar » Oct 3rd, '08, 03:59

Dear Kim,

Thanks for your kin dinfo.
Finally they meet each other. From your view, I 've seen it's a lovely scence.

So, it's different from othe r's review. They said , Song & Da hae have less scence with e each other. & they don't think Sond does not interest in her, as one sided by Da HAe.

How about you? I also don't think like that.
Hope to see more chemistry & love scence btwn Song & Da Hae. hee Hee

But what a pity. I cannot pop out your attached link.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your kindness & hope to tell/update me about the series progress on this page. Yasukkha(Promise?, sorry I don't know how to tell in Korea language).

Warm Rgds,
Nyarnyar

kim_calvz

To.Nyar Nyar

Post by kim_calvz » Oct 3rd, '08, 20:20

sorry for the wrong link its http://www.viikii.net/channels/goto/eastofeden.

they had a briefly scene. i don't think the director well just set a side Lee Da-Hae and Song Seung-Hun's story. because they confirmed that Lee Da-Hae will be the leading lady of Song Seung-Hoon, lets just wait and see what's gonna happen next.
i think its a part of the story changing some partners.

Her character is of a woman who graduated a Law school top of her class. And with her great intelligence and talent, Hye-rin chooses to give up on love for her ambitions.

Hye-rin's first love is Yeon Jeong-hoon acting as Dong-wook, a king and gentle man. Dong-wook loves his family dearly and became a judge in revenge for his father's death. He is as ambitious as Hye-rin for becoming so far in his career. Hye-rin falls in love with his innocent eyes and heart.

Another love that Hye-rin encounters is Song Seung-heon acting as Dong-cheol who has lived a rough life. He is a wild spirit who can even give up his life just to achieve vengeance for his father's unjust death. Hye-rin falls in love with this man who has a passionate yet innocent heart.

Hye-rin is a different character compared to other bright and cheery characters that Lee has taken. Hye-rin is strong and serious. Let's see how this love triangle is resolved in this drama!

source : Cynews
Last edited by kim_calvz on Feb 18th, '09, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.

Nyar Nyar

Thanks!

Post by Nyar Nyar » Oct 6th, '08, 06:53

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your new link. Will try to check it out later.
Maybe cause of our internet line's unstability & need some fash player, I cannot pop out into your link.

From your well description, I can see the scenes reflesh infront of me. Really!.

I really love to chat about the series with you as I am one of the K-series fan.
But I can only access to my fav; links once I have a little free time as I am working Monday thro' Friday, .

Anyway, you pls. kindly update me on this page so that I can see once I can access to this.

Warm Rgds,
Nyarnyar

kim_calvz

To Nyar Nyar

Post by kim_calvz » Oct 7th, '08, 15:36

Nyar Nyar

you must be a busy person!
yes i am really hooked in this drama

try to watch it!if you are interested!
enjoy!
Last edited by kim_calvz on Mar 8th, '09, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.

Nyar Nyar

That's so kind of you

Post by Nyar Nyar » Oct 8th, '08, 05:04

Hi Kim,

Oh! it's really so kind of you.

Am v pleased for your kind effort. But what a pity of me! I cannot even access to your link.(Shh! some of the web are banned at our end, access denied).

I really love to see it. If it is available/possible wtih you, could you pls. kindly catch some still(stay, not a live one) photo of Song & Da Hae, from your MV.

You pls. promise(Yaksuka) me to update for this series always whenever it reach as it.
Okey?

Warm Rgds,
Nyarnyar

kim_calvz

To Nyar Nyar

Post by kim_calvz » Oct 8th, '08, 11:20

Nyar Nyar

okay I'll give you the exact URL just click this link

but, have you seen my posted video on youtube?

i suggest; try to open new browser then copy this link and paste it to the URL!

they met in episode 13; again they met briefly

to be honest Lee Da-Hae's character is quite mysterious
in this drama she loves SSH younger brother, but how come the director comes up with the idea that they met together in a romantic scene with SSH.
what was that? if they will not be end up together.
and the other side of her character here kinda strong personality she will steal the love of her sister(not SSH)

well i guess this is part of the story to make the viewers be hook with this drama(Twisted fate,love and revenge)

i am confused with Lee Da-Hae and Song Seong-Heon love story!
i can't wait to see more of them!

:D :scratch: :lol

Nyar Nyar i try my best to give you an update(i will)
araso!
Attachments
Son Seung-Hoon and Lee Da-Hae
Son Seung-Hoon and Lee Da-Hae
a4.jpg (58.57 KiB) Viewed 6616 times
yah! sarang!
yah! sarang!
2008081917450110011ds9-1.jpg (124.55 KiB) Viewed 6616 times
fgf.jpg
fgf.jpg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 6616 times

tourette

Post by tourette » Oct 8th, '08, 12:28

i am more and more disturbed while watching EoE. up to episode 11, the way everything is handle gives me goosebumps and made me speak angrily to my tv. what we have here is the heaviest treatment i have ever seen on screen. from the dialogues, the characters and their interactions to the editing, each are heavier than a thanksgiving meal (sorry about that one).
one exemple is how the pathos is managed and its falls into unbearable pathetic acts (see the love knot between myung-hun & ji-hyun). while watching fictions, i don't look for strict realism (especially in kdrama's case) but there, this is constantly over-the-top insanity (the reunion of dong-wook & dong-chul is a massive exemple).
so far, without mentioning the acting, the only characters i am interested in are the g**k father & daughter. then Lee Mi-Sook provides the only decent acting since even Lee Da-Hae doesn't succeed to bring her character some life (but, damn, the introduction-yet-explanation-of-her-character-inner-self lacks so much in subtlety that i can't imagine the face she must have made while reading the script. cf. ep11 here again)
about the script, well, i realize i don't care about it since some time now and i lost any expectations i could had have.
so, still watching ? probably... because i am weak. and because i know they will all die. everything is damned.

belleza

Post by belleza » Oct 8th, '08, 21:03

i am more and more disturbed while watching EoE.
It only gets more disturbing in episode 14. At that point, they actually take a note from daehas like Eyes of Dawn and use a semi-real historical point onto Dong Wook. It's bitter, bitter stuff.

East of Eden keeps pulling me though, because there's just so much hatred in this show. The story has holes all through it, but there's a brooding, seething anger that courses through the majority of the characters. It's not even about any given plot point (unlike say Bad Love, where the bad luck played like comedy); the aura of this show is shadowy, claustrophobic, deeply miserable.

There's a time skip toward the second half of episode 14, and hopefully we'll actually see some warmth and romance. (And Young Ran seems to be less bratty now.) It seems the story is ready for a tone change. I'm starting to realize that this show is going to be 50 episodes. How much more can these characters take?

On the bright side, Song Seung Heun is getting better episode to episode.
one exemple is how the pathos is managed and its falls into unbearable pathetic acts (see the love knot between myung-hun & ji-hyun).
Strangely, it gets more compelling through episodes 13+14, when Ji Hyun essentially gives up and in to Myung Hun. I'm not sure whether it's episode 11 or 12, but there's a sad bit where you just see closeups between Myung Hun and Ji Hyun, and Ji Hyun simply looks as if her spirit for living has died. And so it's not that the audience laments over the destruction of the relationship between Dong Wook and Ji Hyun, but that Ji Hyun finally had come to terms with her inevitable fate, long since set in her childhood. She MUST be his wife or die. And, so, she becomes his wife, and she dies inside.

I'm actually kinda stunned by Han Ji Hye here. Her performance had been SO over-the-top (and shrill and annoying in many different ways) that it seems like an act of pure athletic stamina worthy of Choi Ji Woo. But then starting with episode 11 or 12, her character goes into exhaustion, she literally can't cry and scream anymore, and what's replaced is just a dark, dark shadow of bitter sadness. That she has accepted her fate in Hell for the sake of her child. We just rarely, rarely see a character whose emotional presence has been so ruthlessly destroyed by the circumstances of the story and other men. And it nicely sets up the wedding. Dong Wook from afar looks at her with as much genuine pity as personal regret; it is truly a sad day for both of them.
the only characters i am interested in are the g**k father & daughter.
I really like the Guk Dae Hwa character, maybe my favorite character. Yoo Dong Geun's performance is wonderfully unique here. Lee Yeon Hee has taken a lot of criticism for her performance as Yoon Ran, but Yoon Ran is written as a 19-year old brat. So hopefully the time skip enables her character to develop as well.

Nyar Nyar

Hi Kim

Post by Nyar Nyar » Oct 9th, '08, 03:41

Hi Kim,

Thanks (Kumbansumitha, sorry for my poor pronounciation) again for your kind effort.

Haven't not seen it yet your MV on yuotube.
Will try to check it out per your advice.

So now you are tired to see the coming episodes?Oh! 14...........50.
But , you pls. just watch for me, Okey?

Warm Rgds,
Nyarnyar