What Makes You Watch a New / Unknown Drama?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

What is the most important factor that makes you watch a new / unknown drama?

Actors / Actresses
40%
Plot synopsis
32%
Friends / Family recommendations
5%
Genre (love story, martial arts, etc)
7%
Posters
2%
Trailer
0%
Magazine / Newspaper reviews
No votes
Reviews of others
9%
Theme songs / ending songs / OST
0%
Other (explain)
4%

Total votes: 203

Eziya Minamoto

Post by Eziya Minamoto » Dec 28th, '06, 05:02

a. Actors / Actresses
b. Plot synopsis
c. Friends / Family recommendations
j. It has English subtitle

Please also indicate your age group
a. 13-18

Please indicate your sex:

b. Female

miicriic

How do you decide what to watch?

Post by miicriic » Jun 14th, '07, 23:16

How do you decide if a drama is good to watch... or do you just download every single drama that comes out and watch the first episode of each one?

fastat3m

Post by fastat3m » Jun 14th, '07, 23:41

i am usually drawn to certain actors or actresses and I do like to watch the first episode and see if any of the characters in the show draw my attention. I also read the synopsis, because sometimes you can tell that a certain show is meant for a different target audience than myself.

StraySora

Post by StraySora » Jun 14th, '07, 23:43

mmmmmmm
that's a smart Q :-) , but i think there's no rule for this , it depends on each person ^^

as for me , i normally care about the drama tat have actors that i like! i normally see what is my Fav next drama , and be set to dl it once it's there!!! :D

of course i read the reviews of new dramas every now and then , to know what's worth watching and what's not , and of course it depends what type of dramas i like ,,....

are a newbie 2 drama?? :cheers:

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Jun 15th, '07, 00:26

Actors - Because I follow a few specific actors, that's the first thing I go for, whether it's through announcements on their sites, official drama sites, or the upcoming drama thread (or other threads) here. It's shallow, but it's these actors who turned me into an addict in the first place. Most of my favorites are character actors, not leading, so I get dragged into a wide variety, which I appreciate. By the same token, actors can also decide me on NOT d/ling a drama. Too many idols and I have absolutely no interest.

Synopsis - generally gives me an idea if the story is going to be of any interest to me at all, or of a genre I tend to enjoy (for example, I can take only so many high school dramas in a year before :alcoholic: happens... there has to be another factor for me to d/l them).

Miscellaneous information - I'm just now beginning to recognize writers and directors, so that's beginning to play into my choices. Sometimes there's other tidbits of info that peak my interest.

Subtitles - If a drama is picked up for subtitling, I'll often go back & pick it up unless it's something I know I'll never be interested in.

Release year - Being exclusively a jdrama person, I'll pretty much d/l anything that comes from the 1990's (and earlier).

airskape

Re: How do you decide what to watch?

Post by airskape » Jun 15th, '07, 03:53

miicriic wrote:or do you just download every single drama that comes out and watch the first episode of each one?
this is what i do :D

anhnie

Post by anhnie » Jun 15th, '07, 04:04

hmm good question...I usually search around forums for recommendation/rating pages to see what a large # of other ppl think about certain dramas....I usually try to check out the really famous & popular ones first and then with others, i DL them as they come out after I check the synopsis and the actors/actresses that star in it.

Usually a big factor for me are the leading actors, if I recognize them and like them, i'll most likely watch it. As for some dramas with ppl i dont recognize, I'll give it a try pending on if the synopsis sounds interesting or refreshing.

Another thing is that I usually search within genres of dramas that i like, I'm for the most part ,a big sucker for romantic comedies, so i usually try those the most. As for dramatic dramas and/or historical dramas, I have to see if the storyline and actors are worth watching or not since i dont like those as much.

iloveoki
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by iloveoki » Jun 15th, '07, 04:04

I usually don't download dramas from d-addicts. Usually, I just watch them on YouTube or Dailymotion. It is so much more convenient that way.

hakuharu

Post by hakuharu » Jun 15th, '07, 12:55

We had a poll on "what makes you watch a dorama" once where lots of people answered. I'm sorry I don't remember what that was called, but maybe you'd like to search for it nonetheless...

As for me, I have some actors which I look out for, like Abe Hiroshi or Shinohara Ryoko, Takeuchi Yuko aso. Either because I just like them or because all the doramas they did so far were great.
Just like toyotaku I have some doramas I didn't download because I didn't like some actors in it.

but more important is the story line. I check the dorama.wiki or j-dorama and if I don't like the description or if I think I have seen this type like 100times than I won't download.

In some cases I take interest because lots of people talk about a certain dorama or because I recognise other people on the thread which I know have similar interests as me.
Another recommendation is the fansubber (group) or the uploader. For example I like everything I've downloaded from SARS so far and most of what groink's uploaded was good stuff as well.

If I'm interested I usually download the first episode and watch it. Mostly I download the whole series after that :whistling:

AfricanBean

Post by AfricanBean » Jun 15th, '07, 18:48

I usually try to browse around and read the synopsis for all of the newer ones. If it sounds interesting I'll download it. From there if I like the acting of a particular person, or just the plot in general, I try to find other dramas that are similar.

I'm not really into the whole "following a specific idol" thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that at all. Yamapi has lead me to some interesting dramas, but he wasn't the deciding factor on whether to watch or not. And yeah, if it has subtitling being done, I'm at least ten times more likely to just download them on a whim. Which fansub group it's done by is a major factor too.

viet_la_amour

Post by viet_la_amour » Jun 15th, '07, 18:56

I read the synopsis for latest dramas and I pick the ones that interest me too. I usually don't go on people's recommendations, cause I know that what other people like are different from what I like.. and I've found that out quite a few times, so I don't like doing that. And if there's a person that I like, I find other dramas that have them in it but it has to be good too! Just because a superstar is in something doesn't necessary deem it as great.. take Hello Miss as an example... lol.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jun 28th, '07, 07:21

a. Actors / Actresses (2)
b. Plot synopsis (3)
c. Friends / Family recommendations (I'm usually the one doing this) (7)
d. Genre (love story, martial arts, etc) (1)
h. Reviews of others (mostly from forums) (5)
j. It has English subtitle (4)
m. As long as it is seeded and can be downloaded (6)

(1) = most important
(7) = less important

First I look at the genre, and see whose acting in it. Then read the synopsis if it sounds interesting. I download the first episode and see if it actually goes anywhere plot wise. And of course has to be subbed because, for the life of me, I cannot understand Korean, and only know a little bit of Japanese. Once they pass these steps, I download everything all at once if I can. And if they are really good all the way to the end, I'll keep them and burn it onto CDs. I've erased so many dramas already because they just didnt keep my interest.

b. 19-25

b. Female

JaYbLeS

Post by JaYbLeS » Jun 30th, '07, 07:50

Actors / Actresses
Plot synopsis

These three are usually the basis for the Dramas i watch. First i check for another drama that an actor/actress is in and then read the synopsis and if it interesting but lately i've just been downloading any drama i find from noted actors/actresses

Age group: 13-18

Sex: Male

Ore.Sama

Post by Ore.Sama » Jul 1st, '07, 06:07

a)
1. It has English subtitle (since i can't watch without subs :cry: )
2. Friends / Family recommendations
3. Actors / Actresses
4. Reviews of others
5. Plot synopsis
6. The number of episodes (prefer short dramas, 20 episodes or less)
7. Genre

Well if my sis recomended a drama I would directly watch it since she's more picky than I am.... but otherwise that's what i do: open jdorama or wikipedia and start browsing through links from an actor/actress that I like >> after I find a drama that seems kinda interesing I read reviews and the plot (trust reviews more) >> If I realized that it's a really really long drama I might reconsider watching it >> Though i do watch different genres but the thing thats out of the question is history... Hate romance dramaz that are over exagurated too (like the old ones) so if i see romance genre I might be a littlle careful and read more and more reviews....

b) 19-25

c) Female

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Jul 1st, '07, 06:47

im a drama collector so i download all the japanese dramas here in d-addicts, but i only watch about 2-3 dramas per season. when i first started watching dramas, i watch them to see my favorite actors, but now that i know better, here are my criteria:

n. Others: I check the scriptwriter first. Dramas from writers like Nojima Shinji, Yukawa Kazuhiko, Okada Yoshikazu, Sakamoto Yuji and Kizara Izumi interest me because for most of their dramas, the storyline is interesting and the character development is good.

if the drama is an adaptation, i prefer if it's based on a Watanabe Junichi or Matsumoto Seicho novel.

b. 19-25

b. Female

:thumleft:

Shadow Hexagram

Re: What Makes You Watch a New / Unknown Drama?

Post by Shadow Hexagram » Jul 1st, '07, 07:17

abcd99 wrote: What is the most important factor that makes you watch a new / unknown drama?
1: n. Other (explain) >> a good screenwriter is what matters the most to me

2. j. It has English subtitle (English or French, as long as I can understand)

3. b. Plot synopsis

4. a. Actors / Actresses
abcd99 wrote: Please also indicate your age group
c. 26-35
abcd99 wrote: Please indicate your sex:
a. Male

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Aug 1st, '08, 09:54

a. Actors / Actresses « 3
b. Plot synopsis « 2
d. Genre (love story, martial arts, etc) « 1

b. 19-25

b. Female

Other Thoughts: If I can't find any other info abt a drama, then I'll dl the first ep. If I see a good looking lead guy, then of course I'll watch it and I don't even have to know who he is! Haha! If I like a drama, I tend to end up liking the actors in it, so I check out the actors and their filmography and that's how I usually end up choosing. Sometimes though, I look @ the ratings, and if like, a fifth of the country watched it, well then it must be good. Also, I can't really rely on reviews anymore, as I've encountered quite a few that tend to contradict my views anyway. Length doesn't matter because a good drama will be good no matter how long. It doesn't matter to me whether it has English subs or not, as in the case of Ooku ~ Hana no Ran; I just read the episode summaries to get by and to this day it's still my fav. j-drama. Plus sometimes, the subs just doesn't make sense :P

EDIT: It also doesn't matter if it can be dled or not cuz where there's a will there's a way. For instance, I learned how to use clubbox long ago, before my comp stopped turning on and then I forgot. Plus if no one ever uploaded it, I can just ask this girl who's subscribed to VODs and watch 'em that way :lol

chack

Post by chack » Aug 2nd, '08, 21:44

For me, it just has to attract me.
If it doesn't attract me, I probably will never watch it. [=

Rori

Post by Rori » Aug 2nd, '08, 22:08

Most important factor?

There are a few: cast; how popular the drama is; plot; type of drama (for ex. a school jdrama will always get my attention)

Age group: 19-25

Sex: Female~

Ayulyn

Post by Ayulyn » Aug 2nd, '08, 22:11

a. Actors / Actresses
b. Plot synopsis
d. Genre (love story, martial arts, etc)
e. Posters
f. Trailer
g. Magazine / Newspaper reviews
h. Reviews of others
i. Theme songs / ending songs / OST
k. The number of episodes (prefer short dramas, 20 episodes or less)
l. The number of episodes (prefer long dramas, 21 episodes or more)
m. As long as it is seeded and can be downloaded
n. Other (explain)

a. 13-18
b. 19-25
c. 26-35
d. 36-50
e. 51-65
f. 66+

a. Male
b. Female
c. Prefer not to say

Sometimes I just watch dramas because I'm bored and can't find anything to do. It mostly depends but I will definitely have to be attracted to the story and the leads to an extent.

Sikono

Post by Sikono » Aug 2nd, '08, 22:35

a. Actors / Actresses - If I know the actors and they're decent or excellent, I will give the show a shot.
b. Plot synopsis - Plot has to sound interesting to me, since there are specific themes I don't like. :/
13-18 year old
Male

Recommendations are important, but I usually find the drama before it's mentioned to me so... And Genre is important, but I'm willing to give any Genre a chance... And Posters/Trailers/Reviews I barely see... The OSTs I don't really listen to unless the drama's theme/ending songs and soundtrack were above amazing. I only watch Japanese or Korean dramas, and Japanese I understand pretty well, (Maybe 80%..) and Korean is one of my native tongues next to english. So no problems with subtitles. The number of episodes doesn't even come across my mind.until after 10 episodes. I could probably find a streaming site if I can't download it either. That's my reasoning.

zcbml

Post by zcbml » Aug 7th, '08, 19:14

I usually just go around looking at what new drama comes out and then read the PLOT to see if it is any good. Another important thing is LENGTH of the drama, what PERIOD it is in. I like drama from the past ancient periods.

If a drama is really popular, I will probably try to watch it! I just try randomly, a episode of each and if it is interesting I continue.

Age group: 19-25
Female

marnnoi

Post by marnnoi » Aug 9th, '08, 21:40

Besides my fav. actors (Toyoetsu or Oguri Shun) PLOT is the most important to me.
sometimes, even though my fav. actor played in some boring/not interesting PLOT I may not watch it.
So, the PLOT is what I concern the most.

age group: 19-25
Female

Aiko_

Post by Aiko_ » Aug 13th, '08, 08:12

a. Actors / Actresses .. I usually watch dramas with Johnny's boys or with some other actors/actresses whom I saw before in some dramas and I liked them :) that's the most important for me.

then it would be:

b. Plot synopsis

age group: 19-25
Female

Marquart

Post by Marquart » Aug 13th, '08, 08:29

b. Plot synopsis

b. 19-25

b. Female

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Aug 17th, '08, 12:26

a. Actors / Actresses
b. Plot synopsis
h. Reviews of others
n. Other: screenwriter

b. 19-25

b. Female

Ruka707

Post by Ruka707 » Aug 24th, '08, 15:35

a. Actors / Actresses
i. Theme songs / ending songs / OST

a. 13-18

b. Female

MochaValencia

Post by MochaValencia » Aug 29th, '08, 21:26

in order:
1. Actors / Actresses – This is especially important when I was only starting to watch JDramas. I stumbled upon a lot of dramas, both good and bad, because certain actors and actresses are in them. I wouldn’t exactly call this shallow; we have to start somewhere. It’s like a snowball effect: watch a random series; find an actor; look for other dramas he or she is in; then find other actors in those dramas. Still, there are dramas that are so bad that even my favorites can't make me watch them. I *try hard* to finish every drama I start. There's no turning back... ugh... But when It's too painful to watch, I scan it to the end. :lol And yes, I sometimes stay away from some shows because of the actors. For some reason, I tend to avoid dramas with lots of pretty boys. :roll
2. Plot synopsis – I actually find some plot synopses misleading, but if it sounds dark or funny or interesting enough for me, I’d give it a shot.
3. Genre (love story, martial arts, etc) - I give whatever genre a chance, but I’m really more interested in hospital and courtroom dramas, mysteries and dramedies.
5. The number of episodes (prefer short dramas, 20 episodes or less) - I usually go for 9-12-episode dramas. Time is a major factor, plus I can be impatient, especially if I feel that the episodes are dragging. Asadoras are an exception, I don’t care how long they are. :lol
6. Trailer – Also misleading sometimes, but most of the time, they tickle my curiosity.
7. Friends / Family recommendations and Reviews of others – This is how I found some of the dramas I’ve seen, but they’re not everything. I’ve turned down some recommendations because of actors, plot, and number of episodes.

As if I haven’t said too much (or: P.S.): I won’t really mind now if the series is subbed or not. I don’t know that much Japanese, but I take context clues. It also doesn’t matter much if it’s available for download, if I’m really interested in the drama, I’d buy them online. Posters? If I based everything on them, my list of dramas watched would be shorter. A lot of posters turn me off. :whistling:

And I’m only beginning to notice the screenwriter(s). I’m now looking for certain styles. Over time, this might matter to me a hell lot.

19-25

Female

freezspirit

Post by freezspirit » Aug 29th, '08, 21:38

d. Genre (love story, martial arts, etc) - comedy
b. Plot synopsis
a. Actors / Actresses

c. 26-35

b. Female

The number of episodes used to determine if I watched it but I just got a bigger hd. lol problem solved. But if I start to watch a drama then discover its a long series and don't like the show after a few episodes I stop watching.

xxemz19xx

Post by xxemz19xx » Aug 30th, '08, 09:47

Plot: If the story line doesn't sound good then I won't watch it,
Genere: Also important I usually watch Romance, comedy and historical. But I'm open to most if the plot is good ^^
Actors/Actresses: This is kind of important, I'll watch dramas with my favs in, but usually I start liking the actors in dramas after I've watched it....

19-25

Please indicate your sex.

Female

Masumi-chan

Post by Masumi-chan » Aug 30th, '08, 10:14

a. Actors / Actresses
b. Plot synopsis

19-25

b. Female

Medousa

Post by Medousa » May 4th, '09, 10:01

I have to admit that I didnt expect to see the Actor/Actress to get the majority of votes...
well I understand we all enjoy watching beautiful and skilled actors/actresses performing but even though they may be beautiful or even skilled I cant watch a drama because of that.

so for your little survey here, my answers will be:

b. Plot synopsis
c. 26-35
b. Female

:thumleft:

honey_almond

Post by honey_almond » May 4th, '09, 14:12

a. Actors / Actresses
b. Plot synopsis
h. Reviews of others
k. The number of episodes (prefer short dramas, 20 episodes or less)

b. 19-25

b. Female

ParadiseLost

Post by ParadiseLost » May 4th, '09, 20:30

a. If it has Rainie Yang :lol
b. Other Actors/ Actresses
c. Plot synopsis

b. 19-25

b. Male

dabogy

Post by dabogy » May 4th, '09, 21:06

b. Plot synopsis
c. 26-35
b. Male
j. I can understand japanese, but its soo much easier to read english haha