[Discussion] Last Friends - Nagasawa Masami/Ueno Juri/Eita

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Sep 6th, '08, 22:15

From the latest issue of Nikkei Entertainment. An interview with Juri, and here's a part that mentioned about Last Friends:

It is because Ueno has a strong conviction that a piece of work where everyone can confront with honesty and sincerity contains a 'special kind of strength'. The critically acclaimed 'Last Friends' too, whether it's between the director, staffs or the other co-stars, it's a work that was born out of many conflicts and discussions.

"I'm really glad to be able to work together with actors/actresses from the same generation in that drama. Watching each one of them sincerely come face to face with their characters and act even through the worries, through the conflicts, I understood something. "Ahh, it's not just me(that think that way)". It was encouraging."

"For me as well, for the whole duration of playing Ruka, I worried about a lot of things. It was a constant battle. For example, the scene in episode 9 when Ruka goes to confront Sousuke(acted by Nishikido Ryo), there was a line in the script where Ruka was suppose to say, 「あんたの偽物の愛になんか負けやしない」(Your false love, I won't lose to something like that). I thought to myself, 'This line, I won't be able to say it as Ruka'. The writer, Asano-san and the director, I understood the enthusiasm they were trying to inject into the lines. But Sousuke's love being imitation or false isn't something that can be decided like that. Ruka also can't be the only one that is always right. That's why I suggested 「あんたの愛なんか本物だとは思えない」(Your love, somehow, I can't think of it as being real love), saying it almost with a jealous tone. Because I wanted to protect this character named Ruka, I fought. If it's about Ueno Juri, anything is fine, but if it's for the sake of the role or for the work(drama/movie), I'll fight no matter what."

"Actually, towards the end, Ruka's scenes have been abruptly and drastically cut down. But alas, because they wanted to have the scenes at the share house, things have to be re-shot again. But that's okay. How many seconds(that was shown of her), things like that isn't important. The prove of Ruka living her life is there, so if people is able to see that then it's fine. Towards the final moment, everyone still had their worries; there was a time where we filmed 2 days straight without any sleep. But, being able to create a work together that everyone can sincerely and seriously come face to face with, and because of that bringing in a lot of critical acclamations, I'm really happy."

---
Uhuh...our girl is a fighter so don't mess with her~! XP

The rest of the article can be read here. Interestingly, there's a page dedicated to analyzing the increase of Juri's female fans too. With graphs! :mrgreen:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Sep 7th, '08, 00:45

^Yuuki wrote:"Actually, towards the end, Ruka's scenes have been abruptly and drastically cut down. But alas, because they wanted to have the scenes at the share house, things have to be re-shot again.
I think it was more to give more screen time to what's-his-face. :glare:

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Sep 7th, '08, 01:00

Ryo Nishikido? He was MIA half of the series... if you really look at it. :/ Only pop in to slap a ho and then return to his slapaho tribe.

I'm actually rewatching Last Friends, I'm going to do a complete marathon tonight :3 And write an 'essay' on the series. I think rewatching Last Friends without all the hype that came with it will give me a better opportunity to understand it.

suchira

Post by suchira » Sep 7th, '08, 05:45

Ryo Nishikido? He was MIA half of the series... if you really look at it. :/ Only pop in to slap a ho and then return to his slapaho tribe.
I... I think I might die. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

But seriously though, this drama is one that I am immensely satisfied with, dissatisfied with, that frustrates me and pulls on my heart strings.

I didn't think I'd love/hate a J-drama like this. =\[/quote]

siutou_amy

Post by siutou_amy » Sep 7th, '08, 06:12

miznagase wrote:i think ueno juri is a lot prettier and more talented than that masami chick.
gotta love juri!!!
Buahaha.

I think most girls will agree on that with you. Many guys (note, I'm not saying all) will give it at least a 2nd thought.... xD

I didn't know the LF board was so active after the end. xD

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Sep 8th, '08, 03:51

i just went to the japanese store today and looked at the magazines.
juri-chan is the cover girl of five different magazines.
she's getting really popular. and she deserves it!!!

Not_Priority

Post by Not_Priority » Sep 8th, '08, 22:22

hmm...my friend recomend it to me too......

seems to be nice, lets get it :D:D:D

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Sep 9th, '08, 01:07

siutou_amy wrote:Many guys (note, I'm not saying all) will give it at least a 2nd thought.... xD
Not me. :mrgreen: :thumleft: :wub:

hanashi

Post by hanashi » Sep 9th, '08, 13:32

LOL! It's so true Juri-chan is more talented than Masami. But I think Masami's also pretty good though. :D
I love her in Sailor Fuku to Kikanju. And Propdai was pretty good. :D

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Sep 9th, '08, 21:56

hanashi wrote:LOL! It's so true Juri-chan is more talented than Masami. But I think Masami's also pretty good though. :D
I love her in Sailor Fuku to Kikanju. And Propdai was pretty good. :D
i thought masami was ok in prodai, but in last friends, her acting was pretty bad, and it pissed me off.
juri, eita, asami, and ryo all did great, but masami was just plain bad.
i think they should've casted a better actress to play michiru.
the chick who played eri in prodai would've been my pick.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Sep 9th, '08, 23:58

I think people think Masami's acting was bad because her character had made some stupid ass choices, so there was a lot of frustration at her....

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Sep 10th, '08, 02:02

Ladymercury wrote:I think people think Masami's acting was bad because her character had made some stupid ass choices, so there was a lot of frustration at her....
no, i don't think so.
well, personally, i would never have a biased opinion about an actor's talent depending on his or her character.
i think ryo did a good job, but, obviously, his character is f-ed up.
i just think that masami is not a very good actress, that's all.

Rori

Post by Rori » Sep 10th, '08, 02:14

Eh, strangely enough, LF made me LIKE Masami. She was had a pretty annoying character in ProDai which I hated.

As for her acting, I think it's pretty decent. Not much more to say.

kikurazz

Post by kikurazz » Sep 10th, '08, 03:05

gotta love ueno juri's hair in LF.
masami is the pretty version, while ueno juri is the stylish type.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Sep 10th, '08, 03:51

kikurazz wrote:gotta love ueno juri's hair in LF.
Only if you wanna look like a guy.

siutou_amy

Post by siutou_amy » Sep 10th, '08, 05:08

bmwracer wrote:
LOL. Actually, I think Juri's short hair suits her better. But then again, I could see guys' views on longer hair.
IMO, the short messier Ruka do gave her an UMPH,

hard to explain xD Hmm... like Natalie Portman's short hair look good, better than her longer straight hair dos....

Now I wonder...... how does Juri look with long wavy locks a la Portman in Attack of the Clones era? xD Or Juri shaved-head... now THAT be shocking for racer. xD

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Sep 10th, '08, 13:34

siutou_amy wrote:LOL. Actually, I think Juri's short hair suits her better.
My perception is that the short hair suits the gay crowd, for the most part... From the straight view, the longer hair is (typically) more preferred...

scherzando

Post by scherzando » Sep 10th, '08, 14:16

Her short hair suited her character perfectly in LF.

siutou_amy

Post by siutou_amy » Sep 10th, '08, 16:57

bmwracer wrote:
My perception is that the short hair suits the gay crowd, for the most part... From the straight view, the longer hair is (typically) more preferred...
I disagree, a little... but then we'll be getting into lesbian/gay perceptions of beauty... which I think vary a lot as well, LOL'

so let's just say that it all depends on the person... in this case, Juri did rock the short hair.
For instance, I don't think Masami or Asami could rock a short do, but maybe I'm wrong... Asami did rock the wavy curls though, she looked better than in Nodame xD

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Sep 10th, '08, 19:12

siutou_amy wrote:
bmwracer wrote:
I disagree, a little... but then we'll be getting into lesbian/gay perceptions of beauty... which I think vary a lot as well, LOL'
Yeah, it's a touchy subject and I hope I didn't step on any toes... It's just my observations from the posts here and other threads regarding Juri-chan's hair and role... :sweat:

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Sep 10th, '08, 22:33

juri's hair in last friends is sexy

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Sep 11th, '08, 17:04

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :hissy:
i know i'm like half a year late to be saying this, but i just watched episode 8 last night and omg the ending was so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
ruka finally confessed her true self to takeru, and takeru told her that he would love her no matter what!! :heart:
sigh...that is true love right there. :wub:

scherzando

Post by scherzando » Sep 11th, '08, 17:47

It's hard to watch LF and not go ga-ga over Takeru ;)

scherzando

Post by scherzando » Sep 12th, '08, 16:54

@miznagase: About your signature pic, what event was that? And who is Hayato? Juri looked good! (and kinda different.. looked older)

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Sep 12th, '08, 19:13

miznagase wrote:AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :hissy:
i know i'm like half a year late to be saying this, but i just watched episode 8 last night and omg the ending was so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
Shouldn't you have used the spoiler tags?

noisia

Post by noisia » Sep 12th, '08, 22:31

Just finished the last episode on LF. I think the last 3 episodes were fantastic and I really enjoyed the ending. The best you could hope for really.
Why doesn't anyone like Takeru in the story? I think Eita and Juri played their powerful roles extremely well. I really didn't like Ryo's acting in LF, it seemed distant and disjointed, compared to 1 litre of tears, especially when it came to his ending. According to their roles in the OP, I think Eita, Juri and Mizukawa exceeded expectations in their roles whereas Masami and Ryo were quite sub-par performance wise. I didn't get the right feel for their characters. I would've preferred it if Sousuke died earlier and developed the idea of Michiru x Ruka more.
Overall, I recommend this drama to anyone, their topics and ideas are fresh with the cast providing a strong driving factor for their own plots and the character developments. 9.5/10

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Sep 12th, '08, 23:10

scherzando wrote:@miznagase: About your signature pic, what event was that? And who is Hayato? Juri looked good! (and kinda different.. looked older)
http://community.livejournal.com/juri_u ... tml#cutid1
it was a kobe fashion show this past august. juri was a special guest along with hayato.
hayato is an actor who's best known as aniya from the popular drama "rookies."
you should check it out. it's a good drama. and he's really sexy :wub:
juri and hayato worked together in a movie called "rainbow song."
i think they look really cute together. too bad hayato has a girlfriend though.
doesn't juri look gorgeous???

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Sep 12th, '08, 23:12

bmwracer wrote:Shouldn't you have used the spoiler tags?
i assume that everyone here has watched the whole drama except me... :P

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Sep 12th, '08, 23:31

miznagase wrote:
bmwracer wrote:Shouldn't you have used the spoiler tags?
i assume that everyone here has watched the whole drama except me... :P
Not everyone... You shouldn't make that assumption. :P

rulan

Post by rulan » Sep 14th, '08, 18:38

bmwracer wrote:
that comment seems really offensive to me. i hate the stereotype that girls had to have long hair while guys needed to have short hairs. i mean in that cause does most of the guys in korean want to look like girls? it's just a trend and if it makes you comfortable then be it. your comment reminds me of my 6 yr old neighbor who asked me if i was a boy because i liked to tie my hair up to a ponytail. comments like these is why i don't come around here anymore.

untypikal

Post by untypikal » Sep 15th, '08, 03:38

what was the story arc concerning takeru and his sister?
they seemed to touch a little bit on it in 1 or 2 episodes, and then he forgives her at the special episode, without really telling the audience what's the deal between them? was he sexually abused by her? sorry if this was discussed earlier, but i stopped reading after 50 pages =/

noisia

Post by noisia » Sep 15th, '08, 08:30

untypikal wrote:what was the story arc concerning takeru and his sister?
they seemed to touch a little bit on it in 1 or 2 episodes, and then he forgives her at the special episode, without really telling the audience what's the deal between them? was he sexually abused by her? sorry if this was discussed earlier, but i stopped reading after 50 pages =/
Yeah Takeru was sexually abused by her. You can tell because in one of the later episodes, there is a flashback of Takeru and his sister in a field. She hugs him and gropes his arse. The camera then zooms in to show that :O
I'm still waiting on Eri, my love to be raw'ed up and subbed down. Can't wait for it :wub:

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Sep 15th, '08, 18:12

NG scenes from Ganbatta Award~

:mrgreen:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Sep 15th, '08, 22:02

^Yuuki wrote:NG scenes from Ganbatta Award~

:mrgreen:
LOL, Juri-chan put on her motorcycle helmet backwards... :lol

Silly girl. :lol :wub:

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Sep 16th, '08, 00:41

HAHA juri was so cute during that bar scene. :lol
and omg asami and ryo were hilarious!!! ryo actually looked cute there. :P

Nasi

Post by Nasi » Nov 2nd, '08, 03:36

:(( till the end, I cannot hate Sousuke :((

mattroilanh_tt

Post by mattroilanh_tt » Nov 2nd, '08, 03:47

@ Nasi: Glad to see you here... Prisoner of Sousuke :D

noisia

Post by noisia » Nov 2nd, '08, 11:19

Nasi wrote::(( till the end, I cannot hate Sousuke :((
As a guy, i wanted to beat the crap out of him. His character, not him, naturally :P

mister88

Post by mister88 » Nov 7th, '08, 15:47

Me too I want to beat the sh*t out of him!

And also that pansy Ogurin.

2muchsoda

Post by 2muchsoda » Nov 12th, '08, 17:28

Wonder when she'll be acting for new drama..
arggh so addicted to her acts

sarah117

Post by sarah117 » Nov 12th, '08, 20:26

2muchsoda wrote:Wonder when she'll be acting for new drama..
who's that? Juri-chan? well, she's more in movies right now, but i do agree that i'm impatient to see her in a new drama.. :lol

miss the day when i first watched Last Friends. i can't seem find new dramas which can give me the same mood i had while watching this one..

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Nov 13th, '08, 00:52

sarah117 wrote:
who's that? Juri-chan? well, she's more in movies right now, but i do agree that i'm impatient to see her in a new drama.. :lol

miss the day when i first watched Last Friends. i can't seem find new dramas which can give me the same mood i had while watching this one..
i totally agree :thumleft:
the first time i watched last friends, i was like, "woah! who is that girl???!!!"
and i've obsessed with her ever since :D

flamethunder85

Post by flamethunder85 » Nov 13th, '08, 11:21

miznagase wrote:
sarah117 wrote:

i totally agree :thumleft:
the first time i watched last friends, i was like, "woah! who is that girl???!!!"
and i've obsessed with her ever since :D
Ahh....Looks like everyone is getting impatient..
I love Juri-chan in LF but the development of storyline is just *cough* bad *cough*
I'm more into Nodame :wub:

softbank

Post by softbank » Mar 23rd, '09, 02:49

haha.. necrothread.. but..
anyone see the rumour about the Last Friends movie?
Has it been struck down or validated?
It's late, but i just watched Last Friends... i love it so much.. but it left me wanting more somehow, even though the ending was well-done. Maybe the characters were just so lovable.

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Mar 23rd, '09, 12:23

softbank wrote:haha.. necrothread.. but..
It's late, but i just watched Last Friends... i love it so much.. but it left me wanting more somehow, even though the ending was well-done. Maybe the characters were just so lovable.
omg! :O I've totally forgotten all about the movie version! But anyway, since it's not the original casts anymore, it's just natural for it to slip away as easy as it is... :lol

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Mar 23rd, '09, 12:37

omg! :O I've totally forgotten all about the movie version! But anyway, since it's not the original casts anymore, it's just natural for it to slip away as easy as it is... :lol

softbank

Post by softbank » Mar 23rd, '09, 15:03

avieamber wrote:
ah... they're not bringing back the original cast?!
might as well not make it anyways..I'd rather they just leave the rest of the story to our imaginations~
I think the actors perfectly fit their roles. Just became each character.. it was magical lol :D

ssih

Post by ssih » Mar 23rd, '09, 15:23

If it's not the original cast, it would make no sense to do it as a Special (i.e., here's what they did following what you saw in the show). Perhaps they're going to completely retell the story with a new cast.

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Mar 24th, '09, 04:45

ssih wrote:If it's not the original cast, it would make no sense to do it as a Special (i.e., here's what they did following what you saw in the show). Perhaps they're going to completely retell the story with a new cast.
I'm not entirely sure that it would be a totally diff casts for the movie, but most likely it'd be different judging by the look of it. (my assumptions though) except if the decided to make a movie taking off from where it ended in the special (maybe show more of their lives with Rumi...etc)

until now, there doesnt seem to be any news yet...on the progress of the movie version. Anyone else knows? :-)

flamethunder85

Post by flamethunder85 » Mar 24th, '09, 17:58

^ As far as I know, the whole movie thing is just a rumor.... :unsure:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 28th, '09, 04:08

^ Just let the story/movie die and go away... Time to move on to better things. :sweat:

stolenxkisses

Post by stolenxkisses » Apr 1st, '09, 03:01

Just wondering, were the photographs that Michiru kept looking at in the first episode ever uploaded to any site?

flamethunder85

Post by flamethunder85 » Apr 1st, '09, 10:17

stolenxkisses wrote:Just wondering, were the photographs that Michiru kept looking at in the first episode ever uploaded to any site?
You can find them on official sites of Last Friends (if that's what you asked)

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/lastfriends/another/index.html
http://www.fujitv.co.jp/lastfriends/index.html

stolenxkisses

Post by stolenxkisses » Apr 1st, '09, 12:52

flamethunder85 wrote: You can find them on official sites of Last Friends (if that's what you asked)

Ah, thanks -- I was actually referring to the photos in Michiru's hand. The shots with them standing together in front of the house, or with the (apparent) barbecue celebration, or with Michiru and Ruka in high school. But thanks for the links -- there are some great photos there as well :)

hoyung

Post by hoyung » Apr 1st, '09, 13:16

nicer

flamethunder85

Post by flamethunder85 » Apr 1st, '09, 14:30

stolenxkisses wrote:
flamethunder85 wrote: You can find them on official sites of Last Friends (if that's what you asked)

Ah, thanks -- I was actually referring to the photos in Michiru's hand. The shots with them standing together in front of the house, or with the (apparent) barbecue celebration, or with Michiru and Ruka in high school. But thanks for the links -- there are some great photos there as well :)
Yeah I saw them in the first link I gave you...There are 8 numbers below and each number has many photos (click the arrow left and right)

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Feb 6th, '10, 12:07

Anyone who knows Chinese and can help here.
Is it a remake, fanvideo, CM

And a video:

Lady Zhuge

Post by Lady Zhuge » Feb 6th, '10, 15:51

Keiko1981 wrote:Anyone who knows Chinese and can help here.
Is it a remake, fanvideo, CM

That's a poster for a play version of an old Chinese idol drama by the same name.
Keiko1981 wrote: And a video:
That's an opening segment for this TV Shopping Channel.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Feb 6th, '10, 16:15

Lady Zhuge wrote: That's a poster for a play version of an old Chinese idol drama by the same name.
That's an opening segment for this TV Shopping Channel.
Interesting. Thank you very much for answering my question. :)

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jun 17th, '12, 04:47

I noticed on the Baidu forum that apparently a Director's Cut of Last Friends was released on DVD.

If they did it right, all the scenes with Nishikido Ryo are deleted. :mrgreen: