Post by fizzlex3mh » May 30th, '08, 01:57

Details

* Title: 태양의 여자 / Women of The Sun
* Also known as: Sisters In Love / Women in the Sun
* Genre: Romance, drama
* Episodes: 16
* Broadcast network: KBS2
* Broadcast period: 2008-May-28 to 2008-Jul
* Air time: Wednesday & Thursdays 21:55 (9:55 Korean time)

Synopsis (from KBS World Site)

Do-Young, 33-year-old top anchor woman in Korea, apparently seems to be the perfect role model for every girl in passion. She has got it all, from educational background, prosperous family, beautiful feature, natural-born talent and even adorable personality. Do-Young shines anywhere and everywhere, but deep down in her heart, she suffers from extreme loneliness and cold.

Originally, Do-young was abandoned in front of a orphanage when she was a very little girl. By chance, she was adopted to a rich professor family without any kid and lead her princess life. Several years later, when the step parents got their unexpected biological daughter, Do-young felt threatened that she might lose her parents’ love and affection. So, 13- year- old Do-young abandoned her 5-year-old little sister in front of the Seoul Central Train Station and took her parental love back.

20 years later, Do-young met a charming personal shopper, Sawol, in VIP corner of a luxurious department store. By her merry and cheerful characteristics, Sawol chooses fashion item for Do-young and they starts to feel friendly each other. By the malicious purpose of Do-young’s orphanage friend, Do-Young’s terrible deed is disclosed and Sawol turns out to be the very sister that Do-young has abandoned. depicts two sisters and their love, desire, revenge, and forgiveness.

Cast

* Kim Ji Soo as Shin Do Young
* Han Jae Suk as Kim Joon Sae
* Lee Ha Na as Yoon Sa Weol / Shin Ji Young
* Jung Gyu Woon

Extended cast

* Jung Ae Ri as Do Young's adopted mother
* Kang In Duk as Do Young's adopted father
* Kim Mi Kyung as Park Young Sook (Do Young's biological mother)

Production Credits

* Director: Bae Kyung Soo
* Screenwriter: Kim In Young

Credits: jazzholic's blog, wiki

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » May 30th, '08, 02:03

Anyone catch the first two episodes yet? The story sounds interesting enough and I'm looking forward to hearing what people think of it so far. I'd never heard of Kim Ji Soo before, but she's gorgeous! It also doesn't hurt that V.O.S.'s Park Ji Hoon sings the OST's theme song.

moonlike75

Post by moonlike75 » May 31st, '08, 16:15

Here is a link where you can download the first two episodes : http://www.aigoo.withs2.net/women-in-the-sun/

I hope the subtitles will be released very soon, it's seems a good drama ^^

supavix

Post by supavix » May 31st, '08, 23:42

good series

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jun 1st, '08, 17:32

Good looking actresses. I'll add this this one to my "To-Watch" list. No need to read the synopsis :)

arabian

Post by arabian » Jun 1st, '08, 17:47

It's really good drama that I'm wait6ing to watch it but I don't think there'll be someone subbing it .. I'll watch it on KBS World cuz of the lead actor from lobbyist :P ..

Btw, the OST will release on 5th of June.. :-)

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Jun 1st, '08, 17:50

arabian wrote:It's really good drama that I'm wait6ing to watch it but I don't think there'll be someone subbing it .. I'll watch it on KBS World cuz of the lead actor from lobbyist :P ..

Btw, the OST will release on 5th of June.. :-)
WithS2 is subbing it....btw why does everyone have KBS World and I don't...I really need to move out of this developing country :mrgreen:

belleza

Post by belleza » Jul 14th, '08, 20:01

Gone though the first 8 episode of Women in the Sun. This drama is really, really good . . . If you liked morality tales like Mawang or a good Jeckyl+Hyde story, you may want to give this a shot.

Basic story more or less follows the revenge melodrama format (i.e. past of guilt ridden heroine returns to haunt), but what elevates the story is the detail in the characterization of both half-sisters and their acting. A lot of character development in the story.

I initially wondered why Kim Ji Soo returned to K-drama in a show that didn't have particularly high expectations, but she's a subtle tour de force here. As the show progresses, the isolation Do Young feels due to her actions (much like Mawang) grows stronger and stronger. Her mix of guilt and resolve to keep the past buried doesn't make Do Young sympathetic, but it nevertheless touches on a basic impulse to cling to family, no matter how miserable she is. She is simply that terrified of losing everyone, and at the same time she is losing touch of everyone. Ji Soo is really good here at showing her character's Jekyl and Hyde act. Except her Jekyl is that of a 8-year old orphan girl.

The other thing is, the adopted mother-daughter scenes between Ji Soo and Jung Ae Ri (who's a regular in daily dramas) are really heartbreaking. Choi Jung Hee isn't exactly the stereotypical cruel stepmother, and she also admits that she took out a lot of her anger and grief on her daughter. But, the utter lack of love, the intimate (and probably correct) nastiness of her words against Do Young breaks your heart again and again. Do Young tries to deflect Jung Hee's words, but that makes Jung Hee even more angry and suspicious. Worse, there's a lot of going on between the eyes of Jung Ae Ri and Ji Soo. Ae Ri throws some stares of pure spite at her, and Ji Soo returns an accepting, unblinking blankness, as if she dare blinked, she would be thrown out of the door.

Lee Ha Na is also wonderful here. So far. Having Ha Na play the spirited orphan with the heart of gold isn't really a stretch for her. In fact, I would argue that we haven't seen a true goofball like Ha Na doing drama leads since Kim Sun Ah and Lee Na Young, and like those two actors, it never comes across as an act, or "pretty playing cute." Like those two actresses, she also brings in emotional range and sensitivity without going into Queen of Tears histrionics. Her scenes with Han Jae Sok, although not really original, have a level of innocent bliss that's a welcome relief from the dour situation of the story. And in that sense, we have a perfect casting. Thus far. From what I read Yoon Sa Wool does a 180 when she learns the truth, going from cheerful and sweet to all-out hateful, and even through the first 8 episodes, you get the sense that Sa Wool is blocking out a lot. Ha Na will need to evoke her character's dark side, which has only showed up in little cracks here and there.

Jung Gyu Woon is a big surprise here. First, his character Cha Dong Woo is written unusually well. He isn't just the supporting male rival, but he's an important moral conscience, and his own scenes with Do Young have an odd mix of tough criticism and maturing compassion that's just unusual in this kind of role. One of the cool things about this story is you sense every main character has an important role in how the secret will unravel, and you wonder whose side Dong Woo will take (if not both) when the house of cards falls.

Han Jae Suk is good, but Joon Sae seems, at this point, just kinda there.

Thoughts through Episode 8 . . .
You just want to shake Shin Do Young and tell her to bring Ji Young home, properly. Her biological mother is right; the ONLY way she could save her own hide is if she were to be the person to find Ji Young (which she did) and then bring her to Professor Choi. Even if Ji Young fully recovered her memory, it's not really a complete memory. But once she realizes that Do Young knew all along and was trying to cover up the truth, what else will Ji Young do but exact revenge and take everything from her sister?

I'm not sure what I think about the Hong Eun Sub and his extortion plot. It's interesting because he's a late player, and there's so many ways he can hurt her. Yet, because he was introduced relatively late, he just seems kinda superfluous. Like an invasion to their misery party.

The scene with Sa Wol and Joon Sae riding on a bike was SO Autumn Tale lol!! I loved it. That scene alone made me root for them as a couple. It makes me wonder if the show will break from tradition, and each lead (Ji Soo and Jae Suk are billed as the leads here) ends up with a supporting character.

One of the great things about the story is that there are so many people who want to bring Do Young down, so her growing paranoia is not unjustified. Her mother is this close to kicking her out. Her coworker rival wants to ruin her job. Her orphan mate wants to extort her. Sa Wol has already told her that she'll destroy the person who kidnapped her, more out of what that person did to her family than herself. And on and on. She doesn't have friends; she makes allies. Her loneliness is palpable and painful.

To me, the story feels a lot like Mawang. However evil you think Do Young was for what she did, she's also tragically, poignantly human. And you are 100% certain she's fighting the inevitable end and she will probably be destroyed. She knows it too. You can see the fear and sadness in her eyes, knowing how fragile and conditional her happiness had always been. Knowing that no amount of good works could possibly atone for abandoning her sister. And that the longer she keeps the truth down, the more her soul grows darker and sadder, and brutal her end could be.

Also, I can't wait for the other shoe to drop and for bright, happy Ya Wol to finally turn evil. (In episode one, she destroys a high school classmate's wedding after that person would not repent for getting her kicked out of school. Ya Wol is not to be messed with.) You know it's coming; the show even does a few sequences where Ya Wol finds out and Ha Na's heavily eyelined eyes (no coincidence that) turns all dark. Then the mechanics of the revenge will finally go into motion.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jul 24th, '08, 19:45

Dang...I just noticed this, but Women of the Sun's ratings have shot up to 20% with its 17th episode. And to think I changed my mind about watching this when I saw how un-popular it was when the first few episodes aired. :unsure: Man, I have got to stop doing that.

belleza

Post by belleza » Jul 24th, '08, 20:27

Yeah, this is KBS2's biggest hit since Dal Ja Spring. It went up against the biggest drama of the year thus far, Iljimae, which just finished this week, so you can see how strong the word of mouth has been for the show.

This is a really well executed (especially well acted/cast) revenge melodrama. The story is familiar, but the chemistry of the principals (and the mother) is unusually strong.

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 2nd, '08, 19:36

Episode 15 was just wow . . .
The revenge arc of this story is flat out brilliant. Going into Episode 13, you were expecting Sa Wol to just flip out, turn evil, and carefully plot out her revenge. Maybe steal her fiance or plant evidence all over the place. Maybe use her new benefactor's money to start out a plan for war.

You didn't think Sa Wol would help start out a play. You didn't think Sa Wol would become Hamlet.

Women of the Sun was from the same writer as Mae Ri (Ha Na's previous show, where she played a starving actress looking for her big shot), and here we see kind of a flip side of it. Here, the concept of play-in-play is used as a Shakespearean device, as a way to revisit the buried demons of the past, the sins between the sisters, and "foreshadow" the outcome . . . i.e. to make the lead character go through judgment, performance after performance, and then be destroyed through play and through reality.

At the same time, the play is a cathartic experience for Sa Wol, and a way to force the people she loves to see the truth, to see that she is that girl. It is Sa Wol's way to revisit her experience and to bring art and truth out of the experience. Traumatic experiences that she herself has just remembered.

Which leads to Episode 15 and how by the end of that episode, we finally have Sa Wol and Do Young finally confront each other properly, finally get it all out in the open by enacting a scene in the play in front of the public and in front of the men they love (who strangely seem to know the entire truth and yet remain passive about the two women, as if they're in plain denial of Do Young abandoning her sister)

And, here, it's a cathartic experience for Do Young. She says what she really wanted to say. If Sa Wol goes further, Do Young will "break her neck." If Do Young goes further, Sa Wol will ostracize Do Young leading her to death. They have become two demons to each other.

coconico

Post by coconico » Aug 6th, '08, 08:10

Team Sa Wool! :dance: :lol

This is one of the best drama of 2008 after HGD! The storyline and character are smoothly developed. Do Young, she is a perfect villain ( I see her as a villain in this series). Pretty, successful, smart and charismatic. A master manipulator. She can manipulate people to listen to her and make people to change their mind according to her please. I got mixed feeling towards her; pity and annoyed and hatred. Damn I hate her for not wanting to admit her fault and always twists other people words that oppose her!

Can't wait to watch the series finale and see what happen to the sisters. Shish.... why the guys in WITS so protective towards Do Young especially Dong Woo. Her 'pitiful' and 'lonely' life cant make what she done to Sa Wool excusable. :hissy:

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 6th, '08, 09:16

A master manipulator.
For me, Kim Ji Soo's performance matches Eom Tae Woong's performance in Ma Wang. Instead of amping up the already heady stew of melodrama and angst, Ji Soo interprets the fear (and naked cowardice) and painful loneliness without showing her character's hand. So much is in her eyes, how it subtly shifts to the fickle and cruel wind. Or in her voice becomes like a lonely child when her mom rebukes her yet again.

Much like Kang Oh Soo in Mawang, Do Young ultimately knows no amount of good works or half-hearted redemption can save her from being slowly dragged into hell. She's stalling an inevitable conclusion. And she knows it.

And Dong Woo knows it too. Both men are protective toward her, because they know that in the end, pitiful, lonely Do Young will lose everything. Career. Reputation. Family. Friendship. Love. She will finally be overcome by karma and drown in her sin. Dong Woo's love is to assure her that when she falls into the abyss, he will be there by her side. He doesn't even know if he can save her. He doesn't even know if she deserves to be saved. But he will be there.

The buzz around Lee Ha Na's performance is deserved as well. I've seen quite a revenge melodramas, but who knew the writer would turn Sa Wool into Hamlet?!? Her transformation is heartbreaking, because it isn't even a full turn or even linear. Love in her turns into hate; hate turns back into love; as a result, Sa Wool is also running around in circles, seeking revenge but also seeking release. Her revenge plan is also a valid and beautiful expression of her agony, a way to tell an audience who she is, what she lost. As art, it's her truth. And that at the same time it slowly eats her alive, because she too is seeking Do Young's truth. WHY did Do Young do that to her? Jealousy is not enough. Cowardice is not enough. Hatred is not neough. How could you do that to your own sister, who adored you like noone else? How could you look at her and still lie, your own sister?

Sa Wool is destroying Do Young; and Sa Wool is seeking Do Young. And she too grows mad.

cjgohan2003

Post by cjgohan2003 » Aug 6th, '08, 13:31

Oh man, I pulled an all-nighter to finish episode 8. I didn't expect to like this show THIS much. For a series that's shamelessly structured as a early 2000s melodrama, the sheer talent of the 4 leads diverges it from ever sinking to the point of cliches that plague most kdramas (mainly the 4 seasons).

I don't know how to feel about Do Young. Because it's a 20-episode series, the whole "sympathy for the devil" manipulation somehow works with the depth of characterization, and we get enough time to engage ourselves in each of their lives and their motivations.

Part of me wants this all to work out conveniently in the end. And the other is rooting for SW to annialate her to bits for the 20+ years she's been put through.

One thing I'm surprised with is how lax they are on the romantic front. I'm still cheering for SW/DW pairing . a SW/JS seems too reminicent of Autumn Tale, getting that awkward incest vibes when they're together onscreen. Yes, as endearing as SW may be, it would be odd for JS to view her as anything more than a little sister (hell, he and his family considered adopting her in the first place). I'm still looking forward to seeing who ends up with who (though I have a feeling, with how SW turns crazy once the secret comes out, they'll all become alone and miserable).

What I absolutely love is how the drama manages to capture momments that parallel DY's pervailing loneliness - No matter how happy the leads may be, the inevitable looms over them like the proverbial shoe. The sh*t's gonna hit the fan soon enough (I'm thinking Episode 10), and I myself am somewhat scared/anxious to see how it all unfolds. It's crazy how this series manages to evoke so many emotions. gahhh. stupid melodramas.

EDIT. Okay, After episode 9 i'm officially team SW.

Do Young has finally lost touch with humanity. That one scene where SW was panting exaahsted while the fake JY sits there in a facade of luxury while DY barely bats an eye lash was deplorable. She's a piece of work. Only in times when her tush is safe does she ever give to care about her own sister. Rather than feeling the guilt and agony she put her through, her main focus has always been herself. Her "why me" attitude ticks me off to no end. She uses pity as means to attract the two male leads. Which makes their "affections" for her quite questionable.

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 6th, '08, 17:28

For a series that's shamelessly structured as a early 2000s melodrama, the sheer talent of the 4 leads diverges it from ever sinking to the point of cliches that plague most kdramas (mainly the 4 seasons).
Oh no doubt. And it's all beautiful setup. The show takes its time in putting up the pieces (and not all of it is obvious, you'll see . . . ), so when the "revenge arc" kicks in, there are many aspects that suddenly come into play. There's not that many plot twists, but each twist works unusually well because the show set it up properly.
One thing I'm surprised with is how lax they are on the romantic front. I'm still cheering for SW/DW pairing . a SW/JS seems too reminicent of Autumn Tale, getting that awkward incest vibes when they're together onscreen.
Yeah, that completely surprised me too, and it's a big reason why the show plays so well. The two male characters more or less articulate the personality differences and predicaments between the two women, and later their strained sibling relationship. Both guys show deep compassion to both women. There's a lack of rivalry between the two male leads as well, and so the relationship dynamic between the two sisters (and between them and the mom) always remains the main focus of the show.
(though I have a feeling, with how SW turns crazy once the secret comes out, they'll all become alone and miserable).
It's actually interesting how the JS/SW relationship changes when SW finds out.
and I myself am somewhat scared/anxious to see how it all unfolds. It's crazy how this series manages to evoke so many emotions. gahhh. stupid melodramas.
And when the shoe starts to drop, it's not quite how you think it will go.
ather than feeling the guilt and agony she put her through, her main focus has always been herself. Her "why me" attitude ticks me off to no end.
Yeah, and it's really a testament to Ji Soo's acting that Do Young's coward doesn't come off as obnoxiously cruel. HELLO, she is your sister Do Young!! DY's action isn't defensible (and even her biological mother had beseeched her to finally right her wrong), but the story still manages to convey more and more that DY knows she'll eventually be punished and severely. If she feels almost nothing for JY's suffering, she doesn't feel joy either for what she does to her. Fear rules her life.
She uses pity as means to attract the two male leads. Which makes their "affections" for her quite questionable.
Yeah, the way she uhhh "befriends" both men is kinda interesting. Though DW doesn't seem to mind . . . ;)

I love the scenes between DY and DW though. Quiet, thoughtful, compassionate, and just so wrong. :D

cjgohan2003

Post by cjgohan2003 » Aug 7th, '08, 08:07

WOO! Episode 15 was a doozy.
belleza wrote:Episode 15 was just wow . . .
The revenge arc of this story is flat out brilliant. Going into Episode 13, you were expecting Sa Wol to just flip out, turn evil, and carefully plot out her revenge. Maybe steal her fiance or plant evidence all over the place. Maybe use her new benefactor's money to start out a plan for war.

You didn't think Sa Wol would help start out a play. You didn't think Sa Wol would become Hamlet.

Women of the Sun was from the same writer as Mae Ri (Ha Na's previous show, where she played a starving actress looking for her big shot), and here we see kind of a flip side of it. Here, the concept of play-in-play is used as a Shakespearean device, as a way to revisit the buried demons of the past, the sins between the sisters, and "foreshadow" the outcome . . . i.e. to make the lead character go through judgment, performance after performance, and then be destroyed through play and through reality.

At the same time, the play is a cathartic experience for Sa Wol, and a way to force the people she loves to see the truth, to see that she is that girl. It is Sa Wol's way to revisit her experience and to bring art and truth out of the experience. Traumatic experiences that she herself has just remembered.

Which leads to Episode 15 and how by the end of that episode, we finally have Sa Wol and Do Young finally confront each other properly, finally get it all out in the open by enacting a scene in the play in front of the public and in front of the men they love (who strangely seem to know the entire truth and yet remain passive about the two women, as if they're in plain denial of Do Young abandoning her sister)

And, here, it's a cathartic experience for Do Young. She says what she really wanted to say. If Sa Wol goes further, Do Young will "break her neck." If Do Young goes further, Sa Wol will ostracize Do Young leading her to death. They have become two demons to each other.
Seriously, I was expecting her to make use of JS, come out to the press and create a tycoon media frenzy out of all this. But the sheer intensity in SW (thanks to Lee Ha na)'s eyes; the anger, sadness, madness - Just having her revenge right then and there couldn't possibly satisfy her thirst for vegeance. Beautifully executed. That final scene was just WOW. The sheer emotions coming off both actresses was intense.

DY (the red headed oprah, as I lovingly refer her)'s greatest mistake is biting off more than she can chew. Apparent in her career, family, and lovers. She wants to have the prestige of a aristocratic marriage with JS, yet behind closed doors, wants to fall back into the comfort of DW's arms. Her expectations are impossible - she wants to horde the cake, and eat it too.

Speaking of DW- It's safe to say that he gets a kick out of saving damsels in distress. Once SW's life seeimingly falls back to place, he loses interest in turn for DY's problems. I find it hard to imagine (especially in a genre like this) for him to let go of his first love so easily. Then to top it off with his aloof atitude towards SW, preeching on his moral pedastal to patch it all up (why he didn't tell DY the same thing is beyond me).

I can only imagine what they have in store for us in the last 5 episodes. I'm expecting one or two more plot twists that'll end in a climatic death. (it's pretty obvious how it's going to end anyways, I'm just wondering if DW is dumb enough to jump with her).

Kon Kon

Post by Kon Kon » Aug 7th, '08, 18:32

Helw
I'm watching this drama on KBS world and it is fabulous, but i missed many episodes coz i traveled.
i searched for the torrent on d-addicts but i didn't find any thing. i was wondring why there isn't any files uploaded.. I hope we can find someone who will upload the episodes and the subtitles.
Thank u in ADVANCE (^_^)

coconico

Post by coconico » Aug 8th, '08, 01:23

Kon Kon wrote:Helw
I'm watching this drama on KBS world and it is fabulous, but i missed many episodes coz i traveled.
i searched for the torrent on d-addicts but i didn't find any thing. i was wondring why there isn't any files uploaded.. I hope we can find someone who will upload the episodes and the subtitles.
Thank u in ADVANCE (^_^)
Kon Kon, thanks to withs2 team you can try this link; http://www.aigoo.withs2.net/women-in-the-sun

It has the uploaded episodes (complete) + sub

Hope that you enjoy this as much as i do! :wub:

mrvx
Malaysia

Post by mrvx » Aug 8th, '08, 01:43

i'm wake-up at 3.00am to watch it in malaysia time..... ahhhh!!!!/... i'm sleepy!!!

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 8th, '08, 07:30

Thoughts on Episode 16 + 17
Just exhausting . . . but for the most part, beautifully written. As the show is approaching the end, its starting to cash in its revenge drama chips. It's almost certain that Ji Young will forgive Do Young eventually. It's almost certain that Do Young will not end up with Joo Sae. It's almost certain that Do Young will probably be brutally undone. It's however not certain whether Do Young would choose to jump into the ocean (as she often says), or whether Dong Woo will be there by her at the ocean, when she has lost everything, when she can end it all or start anew. But it seems almost certain that she'll be there at the ocean.

Women in the Sun has turned into a wonderful character study on the differences between older and younger siblings. As they act out their revenge and deceit, they unknowingly fall back into the relationship of their childhood. They fight just like they did when they were kids. Ji Young would storm into Do Young's room. Ji Young would demand something of Do Young. Ji Young would threaten to tell mom. Do Young would use false promises. Do Young would resent Ji Young through her relationship with her mother. Ji Young, the younger sister, cannot understand why Do Young did this to her. The older sister doesn't know how to appease the fury of Ji Young.

Do Young, like many older sisters, feel that they were the parenting experiment for their parents. That it is their duty to bear the mistakes of their parents and to mantain the status quo or order of the house, and to live up to the expectations (or in this case, to hope for the love) of their parents. For all the evil things Do Young did to Ji Young, she also accepts Ji Young's anguish easily and does not strike back.

As the older sister, Do Young is crumbling under the weight. It is as if she is preparing for her execution, and that it will be a relief when everything she values is destroyed. And then, she will be merely a erasure smudge from the book of her own life.

Ji Young, like many younger sisters, feel that their identity is in the shadow of their older sister. That, for all of their efforts, they will always be compared (or pressured to exceed) the achievements and image of the older sister. And even in this house, Ji Young felt intimidated and inspired by SHin Do Young. Part of her had always adored her as the person she most wanted to be. For all the vengeful spite Ji Young has for Do Young, she cannot understand how the older sister could do this to her younger sister, could do this to her.

As the younger sister, Ji Young -- even after the reunion and the possibility of a romance with Joon Sae -- is confused with hatred and love, jealousy and a desire to forgive. She quietly loses herself; even when there is happiness, it is a mad, unstable happiness, because she is still looking for her mirror (her older sister) to reflect back.

I love the contrast in their romantic relationships. I love Do Young and Dong Woo. It is a relationship of the moon -- illicit, intimate, sad, quiet, tender and compassionate. It is the older sister, who values security and order above all else, finding the only relationship she can trust from the dark depth of her soul. I love Sa Wol and Joon Sae. It is a relationship of the sun -- bold, creative, inspirational, sweet, warm and hopeful. It is the younger sister, who values hope and inspiration above all else, finding the oppa prince who is still like a fairytale romance and who is always uplifting her.

This drama is the rare one where neither sendimentalism nor memories engender the connection between people. The drama is our habits, flaws and reactions put under extreme duress. Ji Young and Do Young reconnect as sisters, not because they like each other or because the good memories won over, but because they were always sisters. They can't, by habit and personality, help but be sisters to each other.

I love the action so much between the three actresses. The way Jung Ae Ri never goes for a histrionic to convey the emotional violence Do Young's mother levies upon Do Young. Again and again. Their scenes are consistently heart breaking. At various moments, Lee Ha Na's eyes go wild, then cold, then wild, the remorseful again. It creates a nervous, unsettling texture between her and Ji Soo; the sisters are much more casual than you think they would be.

But I think Kim Ji Soo is going to be a frontrunner for KBS Actress of the Year. She's able to articulate her character's cowardice and selfishness and overwhelming, overwhelming loneliness and sadness. Often as if a camera isn't there. At times, she pulls off the subtle trick with her voice and posture to turn herself into the oldest 12 year old ever, pitying herself privately in the car or in her bedroom or when scolded by her mother. It's a controlled performance that grounds the whole drama as her character study. "I didn't meant to do it" sounds so trite, but she makes her case for her character very strongly.

So many other things I like about the drama. The story mantains a strong professional drama narrative, and it does a marvelous job weaving revenge, deceit, and confession through Do Young's job as an announcer and Ji Young's play and recent job with the station. Her job has such high visibility, and so the workplace is like a minefield that DY sidesteps episode to episode. I like how the President's own secret and Eun Sub's thuggery makes the ending so unpredictable.

Oh and I love the Tell Me Tell Me slap video! :D

Kon Kon

Post by Kon Kon » Aug 9th, '08, 11:30

Coconico
I tried this website but i have some problems with mega upload that doesn't start downloading :(
I looked in their clubbox but episode one doesn't download too ..
I'm really sad :(

aziatik

Post by aziatik » Aug 16th, '08, 08:03

Great Drama overall. One of the few dramas that really was worth the view time, Just the right amount of episodes

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 16th, '08, 08:37

I really enjoyed the ending of the show. It's a revenge melodrama, and if you've seen a few, you know that revenge melodramas end up at either point A or B. Women in the Sun is no different in that respect, but episode 20 took an interesting turn, It backed off the melodrama; it backed off most of the emotional release you expect in shows like these. Instead, the writer decides to bring all the themes together, and actually try to say something about Do Young.

The last 10 minutes or so, while not original, was beautifully, beautifully done, such a graceful, lyrical way to bring the theme of the story to an end. The big buzz over the show was Lee Ha Na's performance (as well as the intense, completely believable chemistry between Lee Ha Na and Kim Ji Soo), and the last scene distilled that all beautifully.

sooec

Post by sooec » Sep 12th, '08, 06:21

what happened to the other sister at the end? and please tell me where i can download the song the younger singer sang to her in the hospital? thanks

adacomey

Post by adacomey » Sep 12th, '08, 06:34

i really don't understand with the ending of this drama.. alive or died?

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 12th, '08, 06:46

i really don't understand with the ending of this drama.. alive or died?
She passes away on the beach. This was confirmed by the director.

Word is, the reason why you see her with Cha Dong Woo is because he also dies in an airplane crash going back to Hong Kong. But, they uhh left that scene out, because that would be incredibly stupid. So, as the scene is shown, it's just her being granted her wish in heaven (or hell or at least purgatory on Club Med. K-drama death? SWEET! :lol )

Arsenal1508

Post by Arsenal1508 » Sep 15th, '08, 02:59

The older sister was selfish to the end. Did not like her at all.

MizTsukuura

Post by MizTsukuura » Sep 15th, '08, 04:46

this drama sounds interesting... i think i gotta run into the store & look 4 it!!!! :-)

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Sep 15th, '08, 05:14

Yeah, those are some women, hahaha. They're my heroes :)

Rori

Post by Rori » Sep 15th, '08, 06:04

My feelings were all over the place for the older sister. On one hand I could sympathize with her after seeing what kind of mother she has - also the father who tries to help but fails miserably at it. But on the other hand she deserved every bad thing that happened to her for what she did to her younger sister. I didn't like the ending, was pretty unsatisfying but it was OK I guess.
Also, this Do Young/Dong Woo relationship? Was gagging the whole way through it. Didn't convince me at all.

On the brighter side, it was a terrific drama, my emotions were all over the place with the suspense and the cliff hangers they always gave us at the end of every episode. Great acting from them all. Definitely a kdrama I'd recommend.

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 15th, '08, 07:13

On one hand I could sympathize with her after seeing what kind of mother she has - also the father who tries to help but fails miserably at it.
And the truth is, the father didn't love her either. The father quietly resented her all that time, and Do Young probably knew too.
DY's failing is with her sister, because above all other people (including her mother and Dong Woo), her sister did love her more than anyone else. The end -- which itself was the sum-zero consequence of Do Young's choice -- was the end result of DY absolutely expending every single chance she was given to accept her sister.

But, at the same time -- and this is why I loved this version of the revenge drama -- the story doesn't really focus on the morality of Do Young's situation. Women in the Sun's fault is in how it seems content on using Do Young's pathetic and unwanted station in life to delay her mea culpa. But, at the same time, I really enjoyed how within Do Young's claustrophobic circumstances, DY herself admits her only escape isn't love, but oblivion. And that as she continues on her wicked ways, she only sees more and more facets of her oblivion. In that regard, I loved the treatment of the ending. Because if DY ultimately sought release and escape, we got to see what release and escape would look alike, beyond the evil of her acts or the tragic absence of love in her entire life.

I really liked the Dong Woo and Do Young relationship. Not because it was a romance, not because anything really happened. He was her confession, and he -- they -- knew that she would slowly fall. That can't be emphasized enough; Do Young truly believed that through the end of her days, she would never really be forgiven, that she would never really experience love or true happiness. That doesn't justify her actions; but that puts the story into context. Through the 2nd half of the story, she believed that her end was inevitable, that she was only buying time until every illusion she created, every hope she put on others would be destroyed. In a way, she waited Ji Young to take justice upon her and finish her off.

The last third of Women in the Sun plays like a suicide in slow motion. Even when she experiences the happiness with her adopted mother -- and it feels so good to her -- she knows that one day her mother will recover her memory. When she learns that her adopted mother was in fact projecting Ji Young onto her, well it was a crushing blow but also a reminder that, even her happiness was an illusion.

Unwitting to her, she doesn't realize that, by her same decisions to remain complicit to her original sin, she also plunges her sister into madness. Love turns into hatred and hatred turns back into love. Because familial habits are still familial habits, and Do Young still cannot but act out the role of older sister, and Ji Young cannot but re-enact her standing as younger sister. Even at its most vicious, it is still a fight between sisters. Do Young, in spite of her vicious selfishness, never really hated Ji Young for being Ji Young, and Ji Young, as much as she hated Do Young, wanted to forgive Do Young because she was a necessary part of her existence too.

That leads to the final scene. Do Young finally experiences release. Do Young and Ji Young finally are restored as sisters. It was so simple. If she had accepted Ji Young, all things could have been forgiven. But, at least in the end, Do Young can go in peace.

The moral of the story is that, if you do not accept love into your heart, then you will see no love around you. Ji Young loved Do Young. Ji Young forgave Do Young. It was Ji Young's voice that came through to Do Young from the other side. And Ji Young's voice was the last thing she heard before she finally rested in peace. You see, in childhood and when JY came back, Do Young was never really alone as she had thought. Ji Young was not the curse of Do Young's existence; Ji Young was God's gift to Do Young. Finally, in the end of her life, she realized that.

sooec

Post by sooec » Sep 16th, '08, 06:36

hi, would someone please tell me the name of the song Ji Young sang while playing the guitar? and where i can download it? please... :salut: thanks

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 16th, '08, 07:02

@sooc,

It was a Korean cover of NZ traditional tune Pokarekare Ana. (It's to Maoris what Danny Boy is to Irish.)

This song is well known in South Korea since the war, and was used in Korean boxing classic "Crying Fist" (sung by Lena Park) some years ago.

From Women in the Sun

From Crying Fist

Hayley Westenra's version (pass the hankie!!)

sooec

Post by sooec » Sep 17th, '08, 01:02

belleza,
thank you

sooec

Post by sooec » Sep 26th, '08, 18:50

would anyone please help me... i'd like to download the song sang at the end of the show at the beach to a cd ... how do i go about doing that? thanks

wynema

Post by wynema » Oct 8th, '08, 08:10

i have also finished watching this wonderful, wonderful drama. it's really very well acted by the 2 female leads. i kept switching between hating DY or pitying her. this is definitely one of the best dramas this year!