Yoko Kamio's Cat Street Manga Gets Live-Action Drama

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
guccijana

Yoko Kamio's Cat Street Manga Gets Live-Action Drama

Post by guccijana » Mar 13th, '08, 04:34

Latest shōjo manga from creator of Boys Over Flowers (Hana Yori Dango)

Shueisha's Bessatsu Margaret shōjo manga magazine has announced that Cat Street, the slice-of-drama drama manga by Yoko Kamio (Boys Over Flowers/Hana Yori Dango), will be adapted into a live-action television drama this summer. The story revolves around Keito Aoyama, a 16-year-old former child actress who stopped acting after a traumatic incident. She has closed herself off from the rest of the world for years — until she enters a school for "stray cats," or outsiders like herself.

The live-action series will air on Japan's NHK public broadcasting service. Kamio stopped working on the manga last year, but she will draw a short piece in Bessatsu Margaret's May issue (on sale on April 12) to commemorate the announcement of the drama. The eighth and final volume of the manga will ship in April as well. Kamio is also drawing a manga called Matsuri Special in Shueisha's Jump Square shōnen manga magazine. Kamio's earlier Boys Over Flowers manga has already been made into an animated series as well as live-action dramas in Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea. Viz Media has been releasing the Boys Over Flowers manga and anime series in North America, but no licensing announcement has been made for the Boys Over Flowers live-action version or the Cat Street manga yet.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com
Attachments
catstreet01.jpg
catstreet01.jpg (62.32 KiB) Viewed 5665 times

bussan

Post by bussan » Mar 13th, '08, 15:50

Looking forward to the live-action drama. I love this manga, it has an interesting storyline. :-)

I wonder who's going to be in the cast? :unsure:

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Mar 13th, '08, 22:06

I actually read part of the manga a long time ago and it seemed interesting. I guess I will be looking forward to this in the summer then. Thank you for sharing with us! Hopefully they won't be changing much when they do this.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Mar 14th, '08, 02:54

Of all networks, NHK?
I guess they're really trying to bring in younger viewers..... :unsure:

a_petite_azn

Post by a_petite_azn » Mar 14th, '08, 03:08

ooh yay! I'm looking forward to this! Still reading the manga and it has an interesting storyline so far.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Mar 14th, '08, 03:27

OMG! Is this true?! I never got around to finishing Cat Street ever since Condensation stopped scanlating it. But maybe I'll give it another chance now that another group has picked it up.

I really liked "Cat Street" because it was realistic and surreal at the same time. I hope to hear more about this in the future.

kidmigz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kidmigz » Mar 17th, '08, 02:56

I'm guessing it's going to be a tanpatsu and not a full series. Unless NHK announces a new drama time slot, there's no room in their schedule for a series, since Sunday is still Atsuhime and Shizu-chan's drama is taking the Thursday time slot.

Rumor has it that Mitsuki Tanimura is starring.

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Mar 19th, '08, 21:26

it is confirmed that Mitsuki Tanimura is the lead actress and the drama will start on August 28, Thursday 8pm.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/pr/keiei/shiryou/ ... 03/006.pdf

according to Wikipedia, the manga has been completed with 8 volumes.
Last edited by marienella_m on Mar 19th, '08, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 19th, '08, 21:34

Huh, Kamio-sensei completed Cat Street? Is she still plannign to write the sequel manga to HYD?

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Mar 19th, '08, 21:36

ah~ a summer drama.....need to mark this on my calendar.

This is pretty awesome news, thanks for sharing it with us.

Billion

Post by Billion » Mar 21st, '08, 21:24

I've been waiting for a Cat Street drama so I'm glad someone's finally doing it. I was hoping for Inoue Mao as Keiko and Matsuda Shota as Kouichi as I'd really like to see this pairing on screen.

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Mar 21st, '08, 21:46

seriously? oh I love cat street and only stop reading it because condensation is slow in translating it.

but I really like the series

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Mar 26th, '08, 06:25

marienella_m wrote:it is confirmed that Mitsuki Tanimura is the lead actress and the drama will start on August 28, Thursday 8pm.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/pr/keiei/shiryou/ ... 03/006.pdf
Mitsuki Tanimura as the lead? That is so awesome. Now I am definitely going to watch this. Who are the other two people if it has something to do with Cat Street drama? XD

shimmi

Post by shimmi » Apr 18th, '08, 17:12

OMG!!!! I can't wait to watch it!!!! I love the manga!!!

neuhikari

Post by neuhikari » May 4th, '08, 15:02

I really love Yoko kamio's works I like cat street I want to see it in live action but I'M a little bit scared th japanise tend to mix everything with everything. I mean the characters relationships etc...

Sak

Post by Sak » Jun 5th, '08, 15:43

Brilliant, I love the manga and HYD so sure I will love this too :D .... I can't wait for it to be shown :lol

shannobi

Post by shannobi » Jun 6th, '08, 05:25

NHK? Really? Not TBS, or Fuji TV, not even NTV? Weird, the NHK dramas I've seen are mostly old-time themed. Anyways, I think I'll watch.

I wonder who the cast is.

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Jul 4th, '08, 21:59

additional cast: Katsuhisa Namase, Tomoka Kurokawa, Ryo Katsuji, Ryo Kimura, Hideo Ishiguro, Ai Takabe, George Takahashi, Chikako Kaku

start: Aug 28, Thu 8pm

cant wait, what a great cast! :thumleft:

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Jul 8th, '08, 21:05

cast pictures from Sanspo news:

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Jul 8th, '08, 21:20

How exciting! Thank you so much for sharing these pics! :D The cast's characters looks are awesome.

But I am kind of disappointed on how Kimura Ryo's character look. Almost like the character but something about it that bothers me. D:

But I can't wait for the drama. ^^

ninjabunny

Post by ninjabunny » Jul 10th, '08, 05:24

who is going to be kouichi?

Sak

Post by Sak » Jul 10th, '08, 09:41

Hmmmm not so sure about the cast, they suppose to be younger, and the pics of the cast look more like college/university age. Plus isn't the main lead suppose to be exceptionally pretty. Not that I am saying the one in the pic isn't, just she not that exceptionally pretty.

Salz

Post by Salz » Jul 10th, '08, 12:32

cant wait for this drama^^
when will it start???
never thought that NHK going to make liveaction drama lol....
Namase, Katsuji and Kimura Ryo^^
what a great cast^^
but dun really like Ryo hair there^^"

Ottosei

Post by Ottosei » Jul 12th, '08, 13:21

Tanimura Mitsuki, Kurokawa Tomoka, Arai Moe, Miyama Karen, Takabe Ai, Minegishi Minami, Oshima Yuko, Ono Erena - great cast indeed. A lot of exceptionally pretty girls if you search for ones... And Tanimura is just a great actress, she doesn't need to be exceptionally pretty. :)

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jul 21st, '08, 20:10

Awesome :cheers: :cheers: another one of my favorite mangas turned Live action and well anime for Skip Beat.

Semaru

Cat Street

Post by Semaru » Aug 21st, '08, 12:56

So has anyone heard anything more about Cat Street that's supposed be be airing in Aug 28th? I tried to find an official website for it, since I really want to see pictures, but so far no luck. I am really really excited to watch this, but I haven't heard that anyone is going to be subbing it yet, either? Anyone know anything? Please? lol.

I am totally, moronically, obsessed right now. :wub:

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Aug 25th, '08, 04:13

official website up! http://www.nhk.or.jp/drama8/catstreet/index.html
the drama will start this Thu, Aug 28

the screenwriter is Asano Taeko(Last Friends, Kamisama mou Sukoshi Dake).

Semaru

Post by Semaru » Aug 25th, '08, 23:05

thanks for the link! I am really looking forward to this one!

so excited :wub:

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Aug 28th, '08, 15:15

Sak wrote:Hmmmm not so sure about the cast, they suppose to be younger, and the pics of the cast look more like college/university age. Plus isn't the main lead suppose to be exceptionally pretty. Not that I am saying the one in the pic isn't, just she not that exceptionally pretty.
if you go to see their age, youll see that they are pretty young.
about her not being pretty,hmm, when i saw hana yori dango for the first time, i thought that girl(tsukushi/inoue mao) wasnt pretty for her role, but with her amazing acting she puts a magic spell on our hearts, and now we love her.
so i think this will be the same with this new female lead :wub:

anyway who is gonna sub this drama?

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Aug 28th, '08, 15:38

OMG, it's today. Oh, Kioku is doing the fansubs for this >> http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Kioku_Fansubs

Semaru

Post by Semaru » Aug 28th, '08, 23:13

Yay, I'm so glad Kioku is doing subs! I wonder how long we will have to wait..... :cheers:

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Aug 29th, '08, 01:10

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Aug 29th, '08, 01:15

^Thanks so much for the videos! :D

First episode ratings: 7.0% D: It's pretty low, but oh well. :) I can't wait to see the drama.

liltle

Post by liltle » Aug 29th, '08, 13:27

thankyou for the links!!! i hope you won't mind my telling others about this in cruncyroll. the vids look awesome, thanks.

makino_sanbr

Post by makino_sanbr » Aug 29th, '08, 17:04

OMG~ I have to watch!!
I love this manga *loves Yoko Kamio's manga*
I don't know really this actors.. but seem that they are good.

*waiting eagerly for subtittles*

BBOvenGuy
United States of America

Post by BBOvenGuy » Aug 29th, '08, 18:53

tsurashi313 wrote:First episode ratings: 7.0% D: It's pretty low, but oh well. :)
Ratings always need to be taken in context. What network is the show on? When is its time slot? What's its competition?

Just as an example - When Doctor Who runs on the SciFi Channel in the US, its audience is only a fraction of what the show gets on BBC One in the UK, even though the US is a much larger country. But the SciFi Channel is still happy, because they're a smaller network with more of a "niche" audience. Ratings are relative.

If Cat Street has one of the best spots in the lineup on one of the biggest networks in Japan, then yes 7.0% is troubling. But if they're on a smaller network or in an unusual time slot, 7.0% might be good.

a2a

Post by a2a » Aug 29th, '08, 21:56

Actually it airs on NHK, the national channel. Which is pretty much the biggest and most well know channel in the country... So it's really low. I hope it picks up!

Elien

Post by Elien » Aug 30th, '08, 23:27

But still, it airs at 20:00 on thursday, that´s pretty early. Code Blue has the main importance on that day and it airs at 22:00. If you look here, you´ll see how the ratings loks like. Atsu-hime kicks ass here XD

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » Aug 31st, '08, 18:23

i hope the next episode be a little higher.
i want this drama to have the same popularity like hana yori dango

andre2907

Post by andre2907 » Sep 1st, '08, 22:34

a2a wrote:Actually it airs on NHK, the national channel. Which is pretty much the biggest and most well know channel in the country... So it's really low. I hope it picks up!
Yes, but the 7% is actually the usual ratings those young-skewed dramas get. NHK, like most public broadcasters, is targeted to an older audience and it has lots of trouble connecting with the younger public. That's why EVERY SINGLE DRAMA from NHK, besides the epic ones, have really small ratings compared to the private channels.

If it was on TBS, FujiTV or NTV, 7% would be a big flop. On NHK? Not so much. Besides, their trendy dramas have much much smaller budgets.

yokubou

Post by yokubou » Sep 6th, '08, 22:11

I just finished watching the 2nd episode today...
I like it, but I don't.
I really like the manga I own it all...well thats out.
and I just don't understand why they got rid of pretty much the main character if it wasn't for kate
Rei was alot of what makes the manga funny and good D: they really had no reason to change it so that kouichi was her love interest... -_-
what do you all think?

I'm going to keep watching though

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Sep 8th, '08, 16:55

Well ok, I haven't watched the drama yet because still waiting for Kioku fansubs. But from what you're telling me, it seems you forgot some stuff about the manga.
Somewhere on the manga Keito does start liking Kouichi first, but wasn't he interested in his step-sister.

Well since the manga scanlations aren't really finished yet either, I'm hoping that she and Rei end up together.
Got a question, who is Suzuki Gota in the manga again? I thought Kimura Ryo will be playing Rei since he has the hairstyle for it. Yah, I haven't watched the drama yet so just speculating.

nzlyn

Post by nzlyn » Sep 8th, '08, 21:48

I've watched 2 episodes without the subs. I think the plot is gradually moving since this is a 6 episode drama. I hope it would bloom nicely just like HYD.

yokubou

Post by yokubou » Sep 9th, '08, 01:02

garnet07 wrote:Well ok, I haven't watched the drama yet because still waiting for Kioku fansubs. But from what you're telling me, it seems you forgot some stuff about the manga.
Somewhere on the manga Keito does start liking Kouichi first, but wasn't he interested in his step-sister.

Well since the manga scanlations aren't really finished yet either, I'm hoping that she and Rei end up together.
Got a question, who is Suzuki Gota in the manga again? I thought Kimura Ryo will be playing Rei since he has the hairstyle for it. Yah, I haven't watched the drama yet so just speculating.

They got rid of Rei altogehter D:!! and made some new character....I dont know why. It doesn't make sense...

sellega

Post by sellega » Sep 11th, '08, 20:24

yokubou wrote: Rei was alot of what makes the manga funny and good D: they really had no reason to change it so that kouichi was her love interest... -_-
what do you all think?

I'm going to keep watching though
I don't understand it either. I love Rei's character. Though I wouldn't be so sure he's supposed to be Keito's ultimate love interest. How the manga's going, it seems she's really attached to Youichi. It's unclear whether it's friendship or more, though there are strong hints that it's more, one of them being Rei's jealousy. I don't want to make any claims, I'm just speculating at this point.

Molenir

Post by Molenir » Sep 11th, '08, 20:41

Yeah, to be honest, going with the manga, I'm really hoping she ends up with Koichi. I think he is better for her then Kei is. Going to start watching this today. Hope its as good as the manga.

Thanks a lot for subbing this series. I'm very much looking forward to watching it.

Billion

Post by Billion » Sep 27th, '08, 03:52

It's been quite around here.... Has anyone watched it yet? Episode 5 just came out yesterday - one more to go! I really wish they made it longer than 6 episodes, so much more could have been done with the story.

So far the acting is good. The characters are of course slightly different from the manga (Kouichi is only half himself and Gouta it totally new) but they work for the drama script.

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » Sep 28th, '08, 17:18

I keep on confusing this manga with another one I was reading at the time too, so my comparison is very fuzzy.

I don't remember there was a mute character in the story. And Keito's love interest (from what I think I remember) is a different person from the guy who's always on the computer. I forgot so much about this story =_=;;.

Kioku just released the 3rd episode, so I'm looking forward to it <3. For now this is the only drama I'm following... Though soon to change when Ryusei no Kizuna starts..

Thanks a bunch to Kioku for subbing this! <3. Fansubbing is a pain in the behind........

keaiclam

Post by keaiclam » Sep 29th, '08, 03:21

I just watched the first three and I really love it.
I'm sad that there's only two more left.
Loved the third one haha Koichi at the last, the fourth one looks good too.

:mrgreen:

jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda » Oct 2nd, '08, 21:23

Wow its amazing what people watch and why. This show is not popular at all, but its so good, imo. I identify with not being accepted so this is particularly touching to me. I just wish it was more popular, so more people could discuss it... Oh well.

I only started watching for momoji, but I happened along and watched a show that is quite good. And I am amazed how my perception of a girl is so different depending on what's she's wearing and her personality. When keito was seducing the guy in episode 3, I was like OMFG! she is hot as ****... but didn't like her before (still only watching for my baby momoji...). Anyways I took some pics because it was so amazing, imo...

kudoushinichi

Post by kudoushinichi » Oct 3rd, '08, 07:34

This is one of my favourite dorama, but it might be since I love the manga so much. I still feel disappointed with the replacement of Rei though, Gouta doesn't add up the tension as much as Rei did in the manga :cry:

Anyone's watching the last episode yet? I watched it last night.
It is not as interesting as I thought it would be. Keito's confession is pretty... average, Kouichi's hug suits his character (in this drama) though. Momiji's going out with Gouta feel rather pushed since I found no chemistry between them. Last scene is similar with the manga, but I'd be more happy if Kouichi sent her a Keito flower. Told ya, I love the manga too much :lol :lol

Lifo

Post by Lifo » Oct 6th, '08, 07:06

The drama is gets an "Okay" from me so far. I'm watching it 'cause it's a work of Yoko Kamio although I didn't read the whole manga yet. It's a 6 episode series, something light to watch when I'm outta drama.

aishii

Post by aishii » Oct 6th, '08, 22:03

i really liked this ^^
so sad it only had 6 episodes T.T
i loved koichi and momoji

bonaparte

Post by bonaparte » Oct 9th, '08, 17:37

kudoushinichi wrote:
It is not as interesting as I thought it would be. Keito's confession is pretty... average, Kouichi's hug suits his character (in this drama) though. Momiji's going out with Gouta feel rather pushed since I found no chemistry between them. Last scene is similar with the manga, but I'd be more happy if Kouichi sent her a Keito flower. Told ya, I love the manga too much :lol :lol
Yes, I agree!
I wish the confession would've been a bit more dramatic, lovey-dovey and sweet. I mean, that tension in episode 5 between them at the train station was so good! I can't believe he was just like "I'm going out with Keito" to her family!! If only he had confessed his love all sweetly; that would have been nice. I did appreciate his crying at her performance, though. :3

And yes, yes about Momji and Gouta. Totally out of the blue for them, in my opinion.
Still, it was a very fun drama to watch. If only it were longer!!

Lifo

Post by Lifo » Oct 13th, '08, 19:21

Does anyone think that the whole Keito issue is exaggerated? (Like her sister being bullied, her being looked at very differently because of her acting failure.)

elvisrules

Post by elvisrules » Oct 13th, '08, 19:28

It's a good drama, but no one who read the manga [which was amazing] can call it great.

kudoushinichi

Post by kudoushinichi » Oct 14th, '08, 05:40

bonaparte wrote:
I wish the confession would've been a bit more dramatic, lovey-dovey and sweet. I mean, that tension in episode 5 between them at the train station was so good! I can't believe he was just like "I'm going out with Keito" to her family!! If only he had confessed his love all sweetly; that would have been nice. I did appreciate his crying at her performance, though. :3

And yes, yes about Momji and Gouta. Totally out of the blue for them, in my opinion.
Still, it was a very fun drama to watch. If only it were longer!!
The point when Kouichi's having virtual date and declare himself as Keito's bf rather turn me off, that's definitely not Kouichi-like (especially when we read the manga). Yeah, I've to admit when he's all red-eyed was cute =3
Overall it's nice... but unfortunately, I'm still disappointed we didn't get to see Rei.

kudoushinichi

Post by kudoushinichi » Oct 14th, '08, 05:40

elvisrules wrote:It's a good drama, but no one who read the manga [which was amazing] can call it great.
That is so TRUE!!

TofuQueen

Post by TofuQueen » Oct 14th, '08, 07:25

Lifo wrote:Does anyone think that the whole Keito issue is exaggerated? (Like her sister being bullied, her being looked at very differently because of her acting failure.)
As I recall - and it's been quite a while since I read the manga, plus I'm waaaay behind on reading it - in the manga it's made MUCH more clear just how famous she was as a child actress, and how famous and well-publicized the play she froze up in was.

Later on in the drama they mention her acting on TV, etc. but especially at the beginning, it looks more like it's her first role in a community theater production, and the reaction does seem pretty extreme.

If you add in a pushy, boasting stage mother (which she did seem to be when Keito was a child, though not anymore) who probably made a HUGE deal out of every role Keito got, and that most of the kids in the school had probably attended the same schools all their lives & heard about it from their parents etc., then it doesn't seem so exaggerated to me.

Or maybe I'm just too accepting of stuff because "oh well, it's manga/drama, after all..." :lol

Kanin

Post by Kanin » Oct 15th, '08, 20:30

Thanks for a great show. I loved this one!

freyabigg

It's bad :(

Post by freyabigg » Apr 13th, '10, 21:14

I just went and watched it and I thought to myself...where's Rei...He doesn't even exist in it! D: They took part of his past and gave it to Kouichi! What?! :scratch: Since when did he play football? Also, at the end Momiji is single right? Mantle boy doesn't count XD she suddenly gets Gouta? I can't remember him!

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Apr 16th, '10, 21:52

Drama was not bad but I thought the manga was much much better.