How do you organize your dramas? HELP?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
audiodj007

How do you organize your dramas? HELP?

Post by audiodj007 » Sep 2nd, '08, 15:36

How do you organize your dramas?

Need help.
My collection is growing.

Would love some fresh ideas how to store them?

Should i -
Put them on dvd as avi's or convert to dvd in boxes with covers or spindles - very confused -

What do you all do?
Any good idea's where to get some covers from?

Cry5tal

Post by Cry5tal » Sep 2nd, '08, 16:36

Personally I put on external hard drives. I used to burn onto DVDR as backup but at the end you end up with a huge collection of DVDR and usually it doesn't fit very well and leave some room at the end of the disk, I like to fill them up to not waste these extra MB lol.

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Sep 2nd, '08, 16:57

Hard drive are comming down in prices fast, so I keep them on many 1T HDs and categorize them, the I can put them out and reseed when ppl need help :-)

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Sep 2nd, '08, 17:13

I burn the ones that I like and are completed onto DVDRs and the incomplete ones in my hard drive. Mind you that my 350GB external hard drive is running out of space because of all the manga and music I download as well. Now I really need to buy one of those 1 TB external hard drive.

What brand and how much is the best deal for 1 TB external hard drives now. Last time I saw a Western Digital on sale for $150 at Best Buy like 2 months ago but didn't get it because I thought it could be much cheaper than that. But then I went to Fry's 2 weeks ago and the cheapest one I could find was freaking $250. It hasn't gone down but in fact has gone up. Gahhh :cussing: I should have bought that $150 one from Best Buy when I saw it then.

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » Sep 2nd, '08, 17:30

I hear that a lot of the 1 TB HDDs are glitchy though because they're just starting out developing them.. there's probably a brand that is pretty reliable though..

as for how I store them, I also burn the completed ones to DVD-R and keep the incomplete ones on my HDD.. I just don't have the $$ right now to buy external HDDs lol.. and I usually can fit an entire J-drama series onto on DVD-R.. and a K-drama series onto 2-3 DVD-R's..

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Sep 2nd, '08, 17:38

I have 5 internal 1T and never have prob with them, they're faster and quieter than my 750GB drive. both maxyor and seagate work for me :-)

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Sep 3rd, '08, 00:57

The #1 best tip you can give yourself:

Don't save everything!
Only save the ones worth saving... It will keep you sane (trying to organize your collection can be a huge task) and I don't know about you, but I rarely go through the stuff a second time. There's too much new stuff to check out that I rarely feel the urge to go back into my collection to find something to watch.

Aarana

Post by Aarana » Sep 3rd, '08, 01:29

I just bought a binder from WalMart or something that can store 200 CD's at once. Then what I do is when its full, make a sheet of paper with all of the drama's in that one binder and finish that off.

I have 2 and a half binders full :)

melica37

Post by melica37 » Sep 3rd, '08, 01:32

I save everything as though I am stocking media up for the end of life as we know it or something.

With that in mind I have all my dramas in 6 or so of those 144 slot CD/DVD books and a spreadsheet so I know where to find everything.

Nerdy I know but it works. :thumright:

hellokuromi

Post by hellokuromi » Sep 8th, '08, 18:12

I put mine all on a external hard drive. I have 750 GB one from Segate and it works pretty well, I alaso have a smaller hard drive from omega where I store the ones that I am currently watching so I can hook it up to my ps3 and watch them on the tv. Deleting is not even a question for me you never know when you might want to watch it again or watch a certain scene or show a friend. I plan to burn all of my dramas on dvds as backup. Never keep the on you computer, my computer crashed and I lost everything, the most devestaing thing to lose was my pictures and Dramas. After that I have been using external hardrives and even backing up those!

gokidora

Post by gokidora » Sep 9th, '08, 04:55

quashlo wrote:Don't save everything!
That's a great tip, but I can't help myself. I'm an addict. Pretty sure I spend more time rubbing my hands over my collection and cackling as I do actually watching it.

rock1234

Post by rock1234 » Sep 17th, '08, 12:58

No I have Never Organized the Drama show.But i like to watch Drama show ,I Really Love to watch................
My Favorite Drama show is Kimmi..........

InoueOrihime

Post by InoueOrihime » Sep 17th, '08, 17:10

If I like a drama I store it as an AVI on a DVD and if i really like it alot and know I'll watch it again ( Like Last Friends and Maou ) I convert them and turn them into a proper DVD ^^ I store all of them in one of those huge DVD binders that holds alot. I'm almost out of space though x.x;;;;;

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Sep 17th, '08, 17:26

lol I know how you feel. I burn everything because my family watches the dramas as well.. I swap with my sister so we have spindles and spindles of dvds.

I burn them, number them, input the number on an excel sheet.
then i store them in a CD binder. (now it's getting full o_o)

I have different binders for different languages.

I used to have a program (forgot what's it called) that reads the file names and has an automatic list. But I like Excel.

I'm too lazy to hardcode or convert them... I usually leave them as as is since I have a divx dvd player.
Last edited by melonyhappy on Sep 17th, '08, 17:38, edited 2 times in total.

smiley6yrl

Post by smiley6yrl » Sep 17th, '08, 17:29

haha, i normally burn them into dvds, then put them into the sleeves and store them in the blue ikea boxes.. I must have 15+ boxes right now.. I still didn't have the time to put them in alphabetic order nor did I do a spreadsheet for it, hopefully one day I won't be as lazy and organize it. LOL, you are very organized melica! :)

little_deviI

Post by little_deviI » Sep 18th, '08, 23:07

i just keep them on my external hard drive....as of how i am keeping them....lol....i just name the folder according to year and title....as such

[JP] Action Heroes [2008]

konaxis

Post by konaxis » Sep 28th, '08, 17:44

list it in a small note, and fix it orderly by keeping it alphabetical order!

Ryuuta

Post by Ryuuta » Sep 30th, '08, 11:37

I keep them on my external HD but before I got a new one (the older one was full) I had to burn it on DVD (or delete something)
and I deleted some of them because I didn't like them too much that I would watch it twice or more

first I burned them on DVD to watch them on my DivX DVD player but since I can use my TV like my TFT (TV-out) I watch all on TV (and the quality is very good like DVD)

on my external HD I have a folder named "JDorama" and there are many other folders with the titles of the series (I only watch JDorama)

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Sep 30th, '08, 11:39

I usually just burn those that I love and put the ones I like on my external HD while the rest are deleted

pyang32

Post by pyang32 » Oct 6th, '08, 03:15

You can try www.sleevetown.com for dvd covers. It's a great place to buy covers when you have a lot of discs for one drama. And also, you can buy a dvd cover individually instead of buying them in packs. It's $2.00 per dvd cover at the most. See if you like it.

dthekim

Post by dthekim » Oct 6th, '08, 05:41

Perhaps a review of what I've gone through will provide a backdrop for you and others to make their own wise choices and circumvent the pain I've gone through as my collection has grown.

Current collection: 200+ Korean Dramas. Roughly 7 TB of data.

Started burning the videos into DVD's and then when I ran out of HD space, would make DVD data backups. Can usually fit 6 Videos per disk. but when burning DVD's, would put 4 drama episodes per DVD.

I initially put the dramas into 400 disc albums, but it became impossible to find anything because of alphabetical category organization difficulty. It's a joke to shift things around to keep alphabetical order. I tried creating an index and numbering pages and albums as volumes, but this becomes quite a bit of work too because as my collection grew to over 1,500 discs... I could no longer keep the albums anywhere without them being a huge eye sore and a pain to keep the index up to date. Also, when organizing things, having 5-7 albums open all over the room with hundreds of discs became an absolute nightmare to manage.

At 50 kdrama sets, I bought plastic bins that were a perfect fit of 2 or 3 rows of DVD's in DVD sleeves. I then cut manilla folders to the size of a DVD sleeve, but a bit longer on one side by 1.5 inches so that I could write the name of the Drama. I call these my title sleeves. I color the left corner of a title card with a red marker to denote which dramas are complete.[img=http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/492/ ... uc5.th.jpg][img=http://img386.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif]
[img=http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/319/ ... hd2.th.jpg][img=http://img360.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif]
[img=http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4811 ... jn0.th.jpg][img=http://img261.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif]

Over time, I kept buying bigger bins and more of them.

I initially put the data backup discs into albums, but this got out of hand over time when looking for a drama disc to restore to hard drive. I recently bought 2,000 cd sleeves to put the discs into and put these discs into a couple of boxes that fit two rows of discs perfectly. I have since found that havingthe dramas in alphabetical order has been a god send.

A big shift for me recently was to stop making DVD discs at all. I have decided to just keep all the videos on hard drive. I have been buying the FD 1 TB ext hard drives over at newegg.com for $130 each. They work well because they have USB 2.0 and eSATA connectors. I used to have people borrow DVD's from me and I would note checkouts in a notebook. You see, I have been making 2 sets of every DVD set for people to borrow and various reasons such as verifying source data, disc errors or the like. With so many DVD sets being made, I've had about a 5-7% failure rate where people return the discs due to stuttering when playing the DVD's.

Having the hard drive format now has helped me uncover some issues that I didn't know were going on. 1) Some videos were getting corrupted when putting onto backup discs and so I was having to go find replacements and sometimes have not been able to find sources for getting the videos again. 2) When creating DVD data backups, I would sometimes miss a video or subtitle file and would have to go get replacements. Again, I have not always been able to find replacements easily in some cases.

When doing the math, DVD data backups cost about 1/2 or less than hard drive backups. But the loss of productivity in finding missing or damaged files when restoring from backup has been occasionally very painful.

With my hard drive backup system, I don't believe I'll have problems with video recovery any longer. I am worried of a hard drive going belly up on my now so I plan on going with RAID 5 systems soon so that a faulty hard drive in any one area will not cause a loss in data.

I have created over 5,000 DVD discs and no longer wish to.

Overall, creating DVD's is nice for people who borrow them, but becomes costly and time consuming to maintain. Creating DVD sets of favorites may be a good option. Maintaining backups of videos is best done on hard drives. The amount of time saved turns out to be amazingly huge.

Some tips on cost and application usage. I buy Taiyo Yuden 8x value lines DVD blanks from Supermediastore.com. Buying a set of 600 will get you a box that fits DVD disks in sleeves nicely. I buy my DVD labels from onlinelabels.com I use CD Stomper for the designs of discs. I've found it very useful to create DVD labels for the 1st disc of a set that shows a picture and name of the drama.[/img]

audiodj007

Post by audiodj007 » Oct 6th, '08, 09:25

dthekim wrote:Perhaps a review of what I've gone through will provide a backdrop for you and others to make their own wise choices and circumvent the pain I've gone through as my collection has grown.

Current collection: 200+ Korean Dramas. Roughly 7 TB of data.

Started burning the videos into DVD's and then when I ran out of HD space, would make DVD data backups. Can usually fit 6 Videos per disk. but when burning DVD's, would put 4 drama episodes per DVD.

I initially put the dramas into 400 disc albums, but it became impossible to find anything because of alphabetical category organization difficulty. It's a joke to shift things around to keep alphabetical order. I tried creating an index and numbering pages and albums as volumes, but this becomes quite a bit of work too because as my collection grew to over 1,500 discs... I could no longer keep the albums anywhere without them being a huge eye sore and a pain to keep the index up to date. Also, when organizing things, having 5-7 albums open all over the room with hundreds of discs became an absolute nightmare to manage.

At 50 kdrama sets, I bought plastic bins that were a perfect fit of 2 or 3 rows of DVD's in DVD sleeves. I then cut manilla folders to the size of a DVD sleeve, but a bit longer on one side by 1.5 inches so that I could write the name of the Drama. I call these my title sleeves. I color the left corner of a title card with a red marker to denote which dramas are complete.[img=http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/492/ ... uc5.th.jpg][img=http://img386.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif]
[img=http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/319/ ... hd2.th.jpg][img=http://img360.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif]
[img=http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4811 ... jn0.th.jpg][img=http://img261.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif]

Over time, I kept buying bigger bins and more of them.

I initially put the data backup discs into albums, but this got out of hand over time when looking for a drama disc to restore to hard drive. I recently bought 2,000 cd sleeves to put the discs into and put these discs into a couple of boxes that fit two rows of discs perfectly. I have since found that havingthe dramas in alphabetical order has been a god send.

A big shift for me recently was to stop making DVD discs at all. I have decided to just keep all the videos on hard drive. I have been buying the FD 1 TB ext hard drives over at newegg.com for $130 each. They work well because they have USB 2.0 and eSATA connectors. I used to have people borrow DVD's from me and I would note checkouts in a notebook. You see, I have been making 2 sets of every DVD set for people to borrow and various reasons such as verifying source data, disc errors or the like. With so many DVD sets being made, I've had about a 5-7% failure rate where people return the discs due to stuttering when playing the DVD's.

Having the hard drive format now has helped me uncover some issues that I didn't know were going on. 1) Some videos were getting corrupted when putting onto backup discs and so I was having to go find replacements and sometimes have not been able to find sources for getting the videos again. 2) When creating DVD data backups, I would sometimes miss a video or subtitle file and would have to go get replacements. Again, I have not always been able to find replacements easily in some cases.

When doing the math, DVD data backups cost about 1/2 or less than hard drive backups. But the loss of productivity in finding missing or damaged files when restoring from backup has been occasionally very painful.

With my hard drive backup system, I don't believe I'll have problems with video recovery any longer. I am worried of a hard drive going belly up on my now so I plan on going with RAID 5 systems soon so that a faulty hard drive in any one area will not cause a loss in data.

I have created over 5,000 DVD discs and no longer wish to.

Overall, creating DVD's is nice for people who borrow them, but becomes costly and time consuming to maintain. Creating DVD sets of favorites may be a good option. Maintaining backups of videos is best done on hard drives. The amount of time saved turns out to be amazingly huge.

Some tips on cost and application usage. I buy Taiyo Yuden 8x value lines DVD blanks from Supermediastore.com. Buying a set of 600 will get you a box that fits DVD disks in sleeves nicely. I buy my DVD labels from onlinelabels.com I use CD Stomper for the designs of discs. I've found it very useful to create DVD labels for the 1st disc of a set that shows a picture and name of the drama.[/img]
THANKS so much - wish i had your colletion - do you live in UK?

So far considered - seems best for me to use large HD's and have a separate book/folder with index/covers/photo's as a memory aid
What do you think?.

dthekim

Post by dthekim » Oct 6th, '08, 18:08

An index or catalog has turned out to be very important to me and those who borrow from me. The picture is key though. Here is the link to my own catalog. http://kim360.com/KDRAMA/DJ_KDrama_Catalog_10_03_08.pdf

If you e-mail me, I'll provide the original. It's over 50mb, so I have a different distribution for that other than my website.

I obtain info for the index from the following sources:
summary info from koreandrama.org
Synopsis from koreandrama.org, yesasia.com, soompi.com (I prefer yesasia by far though as they provide interesting info about the cast and characters that nobody else does)

pictures from SBS, MBC, KBS, Hancinema.net (my preferred source), koreandrama.org.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Oct 7th, '08, 01:26

Another good alternative if you have the money get a Blue-ray drive. I bought a LG Black Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM, its incredibly good for storing anything since one BD-R holds between about 23-28 GBs. The only down fall of this for me anyway is that even if I wanted to convert the files so I can use on standard DVD players it won't work at all, second is the price of these disks at about 8 dollars per disk its a lot in my opinion. Its a great buy if you have the money non the less

After that I set an order but like someone mentioned in a post earlier that its almost impossible to keep your dramas organized since new ones keep coming out like every other week/month. I have 3 large CD books and in them I label everything by the date they're first episode was released since doing it in alphabetical order would be a constant pain in the ass.

audiodj007

thx

Post by audiodj007 » Oct 7th, '08, 08:29

If you e-mail me, I'll provide the original. It's over 50mb, so I have a different distribution for that other than my website.

I do not know your email - please could i see the large cat.
I sent you a PM with my email if that helps.

Thanks for other cat.
Well worth a look everyone.

Ezalor

Post by Ezalor » Oct 7th, '08, 09:33

In the question DVD or Bluray or HDD you also have to mind the long-term arcive issue. If you burn on Bluray or DVD, you will have to read out every single disc in 3-10 years or so when there are newer standards and your old discs are starting to get faulty. Plus, you never know when it happens.

If you have HDDs, you can copy the whole collection in the wink of an eye on newer mediums and your whole collection is readily available.

If you have no redundant backup, HDDs are now or very soon the most cost effective solution. And one redundant backup is not costly and time-consuming as well if you compare to DVDs.

For me, I recently started to D/L the HD versions only. With DVD, I had the problem that only two episodes would fit but there was still 1GB of space left.

zerch

Post by zerch » Oct 18th, '08, 03:27

I burn them to DVD so that way I can have free space on my computer. However, after a while, I became a bit reluctant about the whole process. It might be just my computer, but the DVDs from say, a month ago, no longer read or register on my computer at all.

I can't seem to find a solution, but for the moment, I just watch and burn the dramas I enjoy. The ones that I think are lousy are usually the first to go to Trash.