[Discussion] Ryusei no Kizuna - Nino, Ryo, Toda Erika

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Yolchen

Post by Yolchen » Oct 18th, '08, 15:03

though I didn't understand that much when I watched it (my Japanese still sucks) I thought it was not that bad. Actually I didn't have much of an idea what this drama is about (just read the drama wiki description) but I also thought it'd somehow be dark. But I myself am pretty relieved that it's not too dark and depressing, and I like the main cast for some reason, though some may argue that they're not acting well at all %DD I love them anyway... ...): Going to watch it till the end! (and watch the first ep again as soon as subs are available...XD)

Kakijun

Post by Kakijun » Oct 18th, '08, 15:24

Alright then I'll do my best at soft subbing this. I hope the HD one is released soon.

mattroilanh_tt

Post by mattroilanh_tt » Oct 18th, '08, 15:41

Kakijun wrote:Alright then I'll do my best at soft subbing this. I hope the HD one is released soon.
You can use timing posted in the topic Ryusei no Kizuna Ep 1 Raw http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... tm#1106725 for time saving. I have tried and it is good.

Do you need some help from others? I can not translate with my poor Japanese but I know typesetting and a litle bit timing :wub:

SaKuRaKu

Post by SaKuRaKu » Oct 18th, '08, 20:44

Alright then I'll do my best at soft subbing this. I hope the HD one is released soon

good luck !!

waiting for yours so badly , cuz i haven't watched it yet :-(

so where will you post it ??

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Oct 18th, '08, 21:35

yanie wrote:Yeah, I was surprised, I thought it was a "this drama is fiction" warning, but it shouldnt be that long so I paused and read it, and apparently it was about the bicycle! Maybe the bicycle accidents increased in Tokyo lately x)
Well, isn't that type of riding illegal in Japan anyway? lol

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 18th, '08, 21:59

Ladymercury wrote:
yanie wrote:Yeah, I was surprised, I thought it was a "this drama is fiction" warning, but it shouldnt be that long so I paused and read it, and apparently it was about the bicycle! Maybe the bicycle accidents increased in Tokyo lately x)
Well, isn't that type of riding illegal in Japan anyway? lol
Yep. It's illegal to ride double on a bike in Japan. I don't think I can even count how many times I rode double on a bike when I was growing up, so it's always struck me as pretty weird for that to be illegal somewhere. Especially when Japan doesn't even have a helmet law for bikes, as far as I know. :scratch:

Looking forward to the first episode. (My download's at 66%) I haven't been expecting it to really be dark, so I'll just have to see how the show strikes me.

triad636

Post by triad636 » Oct 18th, '08, 22:22

yanie wrote:
triad636 wrote:I just skimmed around the episode, I have a question in the spoilers, maybe someone who read the book or who knows whats going on can answer...
So... is ryo only in episode one or something? is her character really dead, no point in me going on if this is so :cry:
Ryou, the actress, right? She will be a regular cast for the whole series, because there will be more flashback throughout the series :-)
Thank you. :)

Kakijun

Post by Kakijun » Oct 18th, '08, 23:05

SaKuRaKu wrote:
Alright then I'll do my best at soft subbing this. I hope the HD one is released soon

good luck !!

waiting for yours so badly , cuz i haven't watched it yet :-(

so where will you post it ??
I'll post it in the subtitles forum. Currently at 20ish percent(Long episode). I'll see if I can finish it quickly.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 18th, '08, 23:33

Ladymercury wrote:Well, isn't that type of riding illegal in Japan anyway? lol
Yeah, but I don't see that kind of warning in other dramas, like for example... ImaAi or SekaChu?? ^_^

lynchmob72

Post by lynchmob72 » Oct 19th, '08, 00:19

This drama sounds pretty good. I was hoping for a couple of darker/serious dramas. This and Bloody Monday will be eating up some bandwith for a while. :P

Not to mention, i thought Kaname Jun was hilarious in " Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne? ".

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 19th, '08, 02:46

lynchmob72 wrote:This drama sounds pretty good. I was hoping for a couple of darker/serious dramas. This and Bloody Monday will be eating up some bandwith for a while. :P

Not to mention, i thought Kaname Jun was hilarious in " Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne? ".

Kaname Jun = :wub: He was hilarious in "Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne?". I also really liked him in Tantei Gakuen Q and thought he was wonderful (and extremely smexy) in Ashita no Kita Yoshio. He's become one of my favorite actors in the past year as a result primarily of Ashita and KimiHan. So his presence in Ryusei certainly didn't hurt my decision to watch it. ;)

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » Oct 19th, '08, 06:31

They had that warning in the new Koizora drama.. it's probably a relatively new thing, because they didn't have it in Nobuta either.

Yumi Yan

Post by Yumi Yan » Oct 19th, '08, 11:29

ech??? I totally forgot that this thing should start soon... :O
I hope I'll get to see the first episode :whistling: :w00t:

stupid college..... :crazy:

babypudding

Post by babypudding » Oct 19th, '08, 11:42

I wonder how it went with the ratings for the first episode.
By reading the comments..looks like there's humour? weird, but by looking at the preview it looks like a serious drama ...
Anyway can't wait for the first episode to be English subbed! ^^

Damn exams coming up in 2 weeks... T_T

Chibiemon

Post by Chibiemon » Oct 19th, '08, 12:57

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 19th, '08, 15:08

Just wondering, was Kudo Kankuro's previous work, IWGP, was also something like this? A mix of mystery and comedy?

Goodnessgracious

Post by Goodnessgracious » Oct 19th, '08, 15:52

I am watching episode 1 right now. Isn't one of the child actors (the one who plays an older brother) the same that played Kamenashi Kazuya's little brother in Tatta Hitotsu no Koi?

fdpu

Post by fdpu » Oct 19th, '08, 16:10

yanie wrote:Just wondering, was Kudo Kankuro's previous work, IWGP, was also something like this? A mix of mystery and comedy?

yes,it is! n i think it really worth to watch♥!
when i read the sypnosis 'bout IWGP it's looks like a dark drama but when i watch it by myself it turn out a comedy drama but a dark aura it's still there like RnK (i think :lol )
so i will love to continue to watch RnK although many people dislike this (sory my english is bad :lol )

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 19th, '08, 17:00

Yeah, I'd say the mix of dark, mystery, comedy is pretty similar between RnK and IWGP. That series is a classic, and I was really happy to have a similar feel here. I really enjoyed the first episode, and the comedy kept me from feeling like this was going to be treated like "the Nino version of Maou"... something I'd been a little afraid of when this series was announced.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Oct 19th, '08, 18:54

kudo kankuro's previous work was awesome.. Mirai Koshi Meguru, a mix of mystery and comedy and weirdness~~

Rori

Post by Rori » Oct 19th, '08, 22:11

Yeah, definitely not what I expected it to be, but I didn't enjoy it any less! Thought it would be darker but I love the comedy and light-heartedness to it all. Especially Ryo's character, missed his silly self during Last Friends. I think he's got to be the funniest sibling. Plus, it's great to see Nino again.

Well I'll continue to watch it. I really enjoyed the first episode~

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 20th, '08, 03:18

The first rating's episode is:

21.2%

Wow!! Very, very, very unexpected for me! I was expecting around 14%-15% for the first ep. Considering another Arashi's member's mystery drama, Maou, was 14%. Higashino Keigo's Byakuyakou, KudoKan's IWGP and others are also abt 14-15%.

I guess the "Higashino Keigo x Kudo Kankuro" promos worked alot. Maybe 21.2% is Higashino's fans, KudoKan's fans, Nino's fans, Ryo's fans and Erika's fans joined all together :D

I won't expect much for the next ep's rating though.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Oct 20th, '08, 09:03

So just watched the first episode. Well it's certainly unexpected but quite good in its own way. Yah, I also thought it would be a dark drama like Byakuyakou from reading the synopsis, but after watching the first epi ... I did like the comedy stuff (haha with the manga add-ons :lol .) Also Nino-san being teased for being freaky by Ryo and Erika's characters. It was also nice to see Ryo-san's smiling face again because his role in Last Friends just made me angry.

But what got annoying is Erika's character since she acts as another easily fooled girl like in Liar Game. She got so annoying in that show so I hope she'll improve in this.

This show will get darker right? Well because the last 5 minutes hinted on that at least. I've never read the novel so I'm trying not to judge the drama from the first episode. Will wait for more to come out.

nek

Post by nek » Oct 20th, '08, 10:56

This jdrama is very awesome considering it's a jdrama.

lushtea

Post by lushtea » Oct 20th, '08, 13:46

watched the first episode just now...
with rating that high, impossible for me to miss it...

first of all, i'm very thankful that kankuro kudo's involved in this, bcause though it's a bit silly (yes, the "letters from canada" part is plain silly), i kinda like it rather if it is just another dark dramas...
when it comes to kankuro kudo... weird=good...

other than that, nino is awesome.. before i wasn't convinced of him being the oldest brother, but he did a great job portraying the pitiful character...
and.. and.. mika nakashima is in this? hmm.. that's new news for me.... :cheers:

i think i'm getting hooked with this drama...

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Oct 20th, '08, 14:33

The first episode was so good. Tho the light atmosphere was really weird considering that they're supposed to be hunting down a guy that killed their parents. What's weirder is that I thought it was funnier than most jdrama comedies out there. So... don't really know what to expect from the rest of the series, but I'll be definitely watching this.

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Oct 21st, '08, 04:22

Absolutely love the comedy and humor in this drama!
(Although I thought he kinda overdid it in Mirai Koshi Meguru. IWGP on the other hand was wickedly good; hope this one follows suit!)

Anyway, ep2's preview shows...
Nakashima Mika making her debut appearance! :cheers:

toma_sis

Post by toma_sis » Oct 21st, '08, 12:46

just watch ep 1.. this drama is awesome..
I really like it....as usually I really like Nino drama..
and plus Ryo ..and now I think I started to likeToda Erika.. :)

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Oct 21st, '08, 14:13

I agree, I didn't like Toda Erika before but this drama is making me warm up to her.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 21st, '08, 17:50

Some of her roles really annoy me. I'd have loved to see Fujiki Naohito drop her off the roof in the beginning of Gal Circle, for example. But this seems like a role I can really like her in. (I liked her in Ushi ni Negai wo, and I really enjoyed her story in this spring's Yonimo Kimyona Monogatari too.) That little girl playing young Shii really does a great job, imo. She really manages to match Toda's acting, and it really impressed me.

All in all, this is shaping up to be an excellent drama. If it stays with a similar mix to IWGP, it'll have plenty of dark stuff. I don't think there was ever and episode of IWGP that didn't make me laugh at some point though. You'd usually switch between the dark and the bizzarrely hilarious a few times each episode, but sometimes things got serious.

xkia56

Post by xkia56 » Oct 22nd, '08, 09:28

Goodnessgracious wrote:I am watching episode 1 right now. Isn't one of the child actors (the one who plays an older brother) the same that played Kamenashi Kazuya's little brother in Tatta Hitotsu no Koi?
Yes, he is. I thought he looked familiar when I first started watching the episode, but it took me a while to place him.

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Oct 23rd, '08, 05:07

ryo is so hot in this drama!
it's good to see him play a funny character after watching him in last friends as an abusive jerk.
anyways, the first episode was really interesting.
so nino, ryo, and erika play siblings, but erika is not blood related to them.
my guess is that the dude who killed nino and ryo's parents is erika's biological father.
the guy who always shows up where nino works (the dude who asked for hayashi rice) is the murderer's son.
so i think erika and that dude at the restaurant are biological siblings.

otaku_freak_16

Post by otaku_freak_16 » Oct 23rd, '08, 08:31

Does anyone know if the subs are out for the first episode yet?

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Oct 23rd, '08, 08:36

I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit. I was wary about Kudokan being the scriptwriter, since I know it's either you love his stuff or hate his stuff (and I've never seen one of his dramas before), but I really enjoyed it. I think that some of the writing was trying a little too hard to be funny and kinda failed, but overall I thought it was pretty good. And the source material itself seems really interesting, so I can only imagine that it would get better from here. (I enjoyed the drama versions of both Galileo and Byakuyakou, so hopefully this will be another hit for me... So far it is.)

darkash

Ryuusei no Kizuna mistake

Post by darkash » Oct 25th, '08, 21:26

Hi there, Maybe i'm watching too much detective drama lol but i saw a big mistake in Ryuusei no kizuna.

In the first episode, The killer got away with his unbrella in his hand while Taisuke saw him.

But in the second episode the unbrella was inside the house in a bucket where the killer left it when he first got in the house to kill there parents.

Or maybe he got away with the family unbrella instead of his.

Since we dont have subtitles yet for the second episode i dont really know witch theorie to keep in mind.

Kakijun

Post by Kakijun » Oct 25th, '08, 21:46

Subs are almost done...

NuDrive

Post by NuDrive » Oct 26th, '08, 18:44

otaku_freak_16 wrote:Does anyone know if the subs are out for the first episode yet?
Yeah, the first ep is on mysoju

KuroSawa

Post by KuroSawa » Oct 26th, '08, 20:14

There are already subs for the second episode :cheers: , thanks to incredibly fast Kakijun :)

I must say I really like the drama so far, though I was expecting something diffrent I love that mix of mystery & humour :wub:
furransu wrote:kudo kankuro's previous work was awesome.. Mirai Koshi Meguru, a mix of mystery and comedy and weirdness~~
Second episode was fun, so hopefully this kudo kankuro's work is going to be awesome as well :D

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Oct 27th, '08, 04:47

The first episode kinda felt it was all over the place it was a mix of drama, comedy, mystery. Maybe it was because I went into this series thinking it would be a serious drama kinda hard not too when you read the plot summary for the drama and watch the first several minutes of the first episode. So I was caught by suprise it had comedy, not sure if that's a good thing because it kinda hurt the serious parts then suddenly it gets into the comedy. Overall still not sure what to think of this series but I know it was good enough to watch keep watching.

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Oct 27th, '08, 07:40

I agree that the drama is still a bit all over the place, and the comedy parts are still freaking me out (tho the weirdest part for me is the opening song, which is... pretty light), but I'm still in spazz-mode with this drama which is a lot considering we're already in episode 2 (my spazz usually lasts until the end of epi 1).
Anyway, what I was afraid of was that the episodes were going to be formulaic
tho there are series that work best with epis that have the same structure everytime (a crime happens, the detective starts to investigate, maybe there's a red herring, and in the end the detective finds the criminal, whatever). I was happy to see that the second episode had entirely different pacing than the first one. So, I don't mind if they do a swindling in every episode, as long as it doesn't get formulaic. The comedy and drama was mixed differently too, so hopefully my fear was needless.

Romance

Post by Romance » Oct 27th, '08, 09:26

I can understand that so many japanese are disappointed with this drama, like me. The book is great, deep and heavy - a true masterpiece. But the director makes everything so lighthearted, stupid and shallow. Drama sucks thinking about what it could have been, they should have let the byakuyako-director take care of this one. Biggest drama-disappointment in years.

Masumi-chan

Post by Masumi-chan » Oct 27th, '08, 09:37

hi
dose anyone know why there isn't any torrent for episode 1& 2?

mattroilanh_tt

Post by mattroilanh_tt » Oct 27th, '08, 09:41

Torrent available for both EP1 and EP 2 but their name is Ryuusei no Kizuna (not Ryusei), you can search again :D

Masumi-chan

Post by Masumi-chan » Oct 27th, '08, 09:43

thanx

NuDrive

Post by NuDrive » Oct 27th, '08, 10:29

KuroSawa wrote:
I must say I really like the drama so far, though I was expecting something diffrent I love that mix of mystery & humour :wub:
I agree, I think if it was too serious it would be a bit like Kurosagi, maybe, though then again I do agree that's it's not really doing the book justice, but it is just starting

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Oct 27th, '08, 10:45

Romance wrote:I can understand that so many japanese are disappointed with this drama, like me. The book is great, deep and heavy - a true masterpiece. But the director makes everything so lighthearted, stupid and shallow. Drama sucks thinking about what it could have been, they should have let the byakuyako-director take care of this one. Biggest drama-disappointment in years.
Ishii Yasuharu is one of the directors. He directed Byakuyakou and I think will be directing the "deep and heavy" parts of the series, so chill. The show just started. The current director is the person who have worked with Kudo Kankuro previous masterpieces and I think is trying to inject the Kudokan humor into Hagashiso-san's work. Its working (and I'm loving it). Higashino-san even agrees that the book and drama are different platforms to tell the story. I think he likes how his story is progressing in the drama (from what I read).

I love how natural the siblings were. It reminded me of me and my brothers :)

totemokakkoii

Post by totemokakkoii » Oct 27th, '08, 13:04

frankly speaking, sometime i don't quite get the humour part. i don't see the link between that and the main objective of the 3 siblings (ie. to find the killer and revenge).
but then again, i am allegic to dramas with excessive heavy, dark themes about revenge and killing... so i am not sure if what i am seeing now from epi 1 and 2 is a good thing.... the drama so far has failed to 'set the mood' that i should be expecting from the show... kinda confusing...

Navin

Post by Navin » Oct 27th, '08, 16:47

I've only seen the first episode, but I already love it. But I'm a big Kudo Kankuro fan, so take that as you want.

I think the humour works pretty well. It somehow doesn't feel forced, and it's a better way to give some depth to the character's relations that a standard melodramatic monologue contest. Prime example was that Koichi-Taisuke-Hayashi scene, showed that Taisuke is totally comfortable with Hayashi and that he clashes with Koichi like father and son would. And the one liner about being a caretaker or something wouldn't have hit me so hard if it hadn't been after some funny scenes. I can see why people are disappointed, but you should've seen this coming by only reading KudoKan's name, and I for one am glad it's not one big emofest.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 27th, '08, 18:29

I'm a KudoKan fan too, and I love what he's done here. I've seen plenty of "serious" and standard dramas in this vein, so I'm enjoying the mixture of humor that's been infused into RnK. It keeps the drama distinctly different, imo. And for me the humor works wonderfully. Tai's speech in episode 2 pretty much put my feelings about the humor into words.
"It's alright for the family of the deceased to laugh, right? It's fine for them to pick up girls, right? How are they different from normal people?! The only difference is whether your parents were killed or not, right? How long are we going to be the family of the deceased? How long do we have to keep being called the family of the deceased?" (I fixed a couple typos, but those are the lines I mean.)

I think viewers are used to seeing characters in these types of shows in only a limited way, as "the family of the deceased". In many shows they concentrate on their revenge constantly. They go through the motions of living while shutting everyone out of their life. They never truly move on from the moment when their families died. That's the common artifice for fiction, but real life is not so cut and dry. It doesn't give us such a limited spectrum of experiences. Even the family of the deceased laughs and has silly moments, especially after 14 years. And these three have never truly been alone. They've always had each other to maintain those important human connections. Even with the zany humor, these characters gain a certain fullness from addressing these other aspects of their humanity. It's an appreciated difference in approach for me.
For people having trouble pinning down the mood, I do suggest trying IWGP. There is a similar feel (Mirai Koshi Meguru is much lighter). It might help you with pinning down the humor/drama balance here to see a complete KudoKan series.

Also, I'm loving the title parodies in Nino's "scripts". The Letters from Canada/Letters from Iwo Jima bit made me grin, but the Tokumei Kakarichou Tadano Hitoshi (Anoymous Section Chief Tadano Htoshi)/Delusional Section Chief Takayama Hisonobu one is truly an inspired and a hilariously fitting choice. :wub:

I have my own suspicions about the murderer, since episode 1.
It just strikes me as odd for an officer to repeatedly make it to the scene of similar murders first.
Last edited by ryoko11 on Oct 27th, '08, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

NuDrive

Post by NuDrive » Oct 27th, '08, 18:32

Hahah at the end of the second ep, it shows what's happening in the next ep and Ryo has a small bear/ stubble XDD

a2a

Post by a2a » Oct 27th, '08, 19:06

I also gotta say that I love this series. I'm a very big KudoKan fan (all the series that he wrote are top in my favorite dramas list). I aspire to become a scriptwriter and he's my idol.
For the people who are not familiar with his work this mixture of comedy/drama might seem weird and they may get confused by the humor (which is classic KudoKan and makes me laugh like crazy every time). But personally I think it works out great. Being bizzare is a big plus.
And I think it manages to portray very well the bond between the siblings which is actually the focus of the story (not the revenge part). The title itself says it: Kizuna = Bonds.
What more can I say... You'll either love or hate it depending on what you were expecting to see.

Lifo

Post by Lifo » Oct 27th, '08, 19:18

I don't know if I'll continue watching this ..

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Oct 27th, '08, 19:34

ryoko11 wrote: Tai's speech in episode 2 pretty much put my feelings about the humor into words.
"It's alright for the family of the deceased to laugh, right? It's fine for them to pick up girls, right? How are they different from normal people?! The only difference is whether your parents were killed or not, right? How long are we going to be the family of the deceased? How long do we have to keep being called the family of the deceased?" (I fixed a couple typos, but those are the lines I mean.)

I think viewers are used to seeing characters in these types of shows in only a limited way, as "the family of the deceased". In many shows they concentrate on their revenge constantly. They go through the motions of living while shutting everyone out of their life. They never truly move on from the moment when their families died. That's the common artifice for fiction, but real life is not so cut and dry. It doesn't give us such a limited spectrum of experiences. Even the family of the deceased laughs and has silly moments, especially after 14 years. And these three have never truly been alone. They've always had each other to maintain those important human connections. Even with the zany humor, these characters gain a certain fullness from addressing these other aspects of their humanity. It's an appreciated difference in approach for me.
I partly agree with this.
This probably is the reason why people are put off, but I'm going a bit further with this. I think a lot of people have lost important people in their lives and still manage to move on and live like the rest of us. What makes this different is that they don't just want to find this guy, they want to kill him - themselves. If someone close to you gets killed or murdered, you probably want him/her to get punished too, but I imagine not many would start tracking down the killer by themselves. They made it pretty clear that they don't want the police to find him (before them): it would be letting him off way too easily. That's the reason why the atmosphere of this drama is weird for me. (I'm not saying this because I hate this, because I don't, I'm totally loving this)

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Oct 27th, '08, 19:45

Personally I find the "confusing" (I rather call it random) parts interesting to watch. It's a Kudokan "style" (I think), and for those watching his works for the 1st time I can empathize with the confusion; I remember watching Kisarazu Cat's Eye feeling the same.

Anyway watching up till ep2, I'm quite impressed with the balance between the plot, the randomness and the humor. Especially the timeline-jumping parts, I find it very interesting how the past has been unfolded each time. The flashback scenes look "jumpy" but the frequency of bringing back the past seems quite consistent and it's becoming like a style in itself. :salut:

And the humor, OMG I think the silliness is just intoxicating. The "Delusional Chief Clerk" part, for example, is just plain awesome. I don't know, maybe goofy humor's not everyone's cup of tea.

Lastly, regarding the comments about the show straying away from its original flavor; I think with Kudokan's involvement, one cannot really expect anything purely serious. Personally I think my ignorance (with the novel) is allowing me to enjoy the show more than those with a certain purist expectation (and I'm glad I'm the former).

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 27th, '08, 20:18

SSpiegel wrote:I partly agree with this.
This probably is the reason why people are put off, but I'm going a bit further with this. I think a lot of people have lost important people in their lives and still manage to move on and live like the rest of us. What makes this different is that they don't just want to find this guy, they want to kill him - themselves. If someone close to you gets killed or murdered, you probably want him/her to get punished too, but I imagine not many would start tracking down the killer by themselves. They made it pretty clear that they don't want the police to find him (before them): it would be letting him off way too easily. That's the reason why the atmosphere of this drama is weird for me. (I'm not saying this because I hate this, because I don't, I'm totally loving this)

I totally see where you're coming from there.
While most people do move on, I don't think it takes a certain type of person to really want that kind of personal vengence. Whether they do it or not, most people in this situation would probably have said something along the lines of wanting to kill the murderer themselves. Even these three are vacillating about what to do and haven't been actively pursuing that vengence all this time. Tai was thinking of simply going to the police at the beginning of that scene. As the one who has moved on least, Koichi is the one to incite his syblings back to revenge though. They're on this cusp right now. These are normal people, but normal people do sometimes seek vengence too. Sometimes they can pull themselves back from the brink; sometimes not.
@chokubi

I love those scenes too. As a Tadano Hitoshi fan, this was a particularly funny parody for me.

NuDrive

Post by NuDrive » Oct 27th, '08, 20:55

I have to agree I love the humour, it's just so random, it's hard not to love. I think it's gonna be one of those dramas which can make you laugh one second and then practically cry [maybe?] the next minute. Iunno but I know that I love this so far, even if it is confusingly random and leaves me lost at parts

ichinose

Post by ichinose » Oct 28th, '08, 03:39

is there any good quality hardsub for this drama recommended?
or is there any good subbing group doing it?

Kakijun

Post by Kakijun » Oct 28th, '08, 03:45

I thought Akira Shock was going to do it but I haven't heard anything.

If any fansub group is interested in using my softsubs to complete a hardsub (karaoke, fonts, titles, etc.) then feel free to PM me.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 28th, '08, 03:51

I'm loving the dorama alot so far, esp. the siblings' interactions and dialogues together (perfect balance!). But one thing bothers me, as the novel reader:
IN THE NOVEL, the siblings' revenge is to capture the murderer and hand them over to the police. When they were children, yes, they were saying that they want to kill the murderer themselves. But as adults, somehow they dont have the intention to kill the murderer anymore. And when they were convinced that the person resembles the face sketch is the murderer, they tried to look for more convincing proofs, so the police can immediately capture them and won't hesitate. Koichi think that the proofs they found won't convince the police, and so they were making efforts to find more proofs. Koichi in the book is very mature and almost perfect, the only mistake he has done is leading his younger siblings to do swindling. So it kinda bother me, that Koichi in the drama wants to kill the murderer with his own hands so much. However, I believe KudoKan has his own reasons making this changes. I won't judge and I won't conclude anything until I get to watch the whole series ^_^

Also, does anyone feel that the siblings does the fraud actions just for fun? Coz its sooo not what it's like in the novel x) But I dunno how to judge this part, coz I really love that Delusional Chief swindling plot! :lol

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 28th, '08, 04:04

ichinose wrote:is there any good quality hardsub for this drama recommended?
Sakurai Storm has released a very good quality of hardsub and softsub for Ep1, you can get it here:
http://arashiforum.110mb.com/index.php?topic=458.0
But the thread is locked to registered users with at least 1 post.

STORMY and AkiraShock are working together for hardsubs, too. But no release yet.

For softsub choices:
Kakijun^^
Icefight
AkuSub [AkuSub is the fastest (released on Sundays, so far, just 2 days after each ep aired), and it's a good quality of .ASS softsub too.]

Arashi@Vox subs it too, but not sure whether its hardsub or softsub.
Last edited by yanie on Oct 28th, '08, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.

Yessy89

Post by Yessy89 » Oct 28th, '08, 04:09

looks like a pretty good show to watch, ne?! :D

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Oct 28th, '08, 05:26

yanie wrote:
Koichi in the book... he leads his younger siblings to do swindling.

Also, does anyone feel that the siblings does the fraud actions just for fun? Coz its sooo not what it's like in the novel.
No idea what's in the novel but the intent seems somewhat similar to me though. From a non-reader's perspective, I see the frauds as the siblings' way to "get back at society". The "fun" aspect is just Kudokan taking the entire swindling process and making it into a special comedy segment every episode. (Oh, and I like how Shizuna gets dressed up in those segments! XD)

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 28th, '08, 05:55

Arashi@Vox subs it too, but not sure whether its hardsub or softsub.

It's probably a softsub if it's Arashi@Vox. I've followed a few series there in the past, and those were always softsub.
I'm figuring on reading the novel after the series so as to avoid major spoilers. But that info about the siblings plan is mighty interesting (and not overly spoilerish).

Most KudoKan series seem to shy away from nearly perfect characters, so it might be part of the planned character development in the script to give Koichi some flaws. While drama Koichi says he wants to kill the murder with his own hands, he also seems like he doesn't really want that. He seems more to want to beat the murder along the lines of what he advised Shii over Post-It, but he also doesn't seem to know how to achieve certain aspects of that either--such as dating.

It does feel rather like the siblings are doing the swindling for fun in the series. Plus, I think KudoKan is having fun working in the zany stuff and parodies found in those segments.

The Delusional Section Chief part kills me! For those who don't know, Tokumei Kakarichou Tadano Hitoshi is a well-known salaryman adventure/comedy series about this guy who appears to be a total loser in the office, but is really a kind of cool secret agent type for the company--and women are constantly throwing themselves at his cool persona. He takes down corruption in his company--including scam artists, blackmailers, and murderers--and he usually gets at least one comic bedroom scene per episode with a woman who is overcome by his studliness. (Hence the nudity warning on the series torrents.) :lol So "Post-It" acting like he's secretly cool and waiting for "Plain" to throw herself at him is just perfectly delusional! And all the business scam, bad girl nurse stuff, and pervy humor fit too.

This is the official movie site for the upcoming Tadano movie complete with trailer for comparison (no nudity here!):
http://www.tadano-movie.com/

Romance

Post by Romance » Oct 28th, '08, 08:46

Alright, I've already written two whine-posts but let me just ask you one more question. Don't you guys really think that the extremly whacky humor really is out of place in this drama?

NuDrive

Post by NuDrive » Oct 28th, '08, 11:02

ichinose wrote:is there any good quality hardsub for this drama recommended?
http://www.dramacrazy.net/v/japanese-dr ... no-kizuna/
They're subbing this and it's not in too many parts either, unlike mysoju

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Oct 28th, '08, 11:20

NuDrive wrote:
http://www.dramacrazy.net/v/japanese-dr ... no-kizuna/
They're subbing this and it's not in too many parts either, unlike mysoju
You probably mean they're stealing other people's hard work and claiming it's theirs.

Romance wrote:Alright, I've already written two whine-posts but let me just ask you one more question. Don't you guys really think that the extremly whacky humor really is out of place in this drama?
More than one person has already commented on this. Some people love the humor, other people hate it. I agree that the humor is a bit weird, but personally I'm loving it.
And there's nothing really that we can do about it. If you don't like it, you can always choose not to watch this. But it's just been two epis, who knows what they got in store for us.

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » Oct 28th, '08, 11:24

Romance wrote:Alright, I've already written two whine-posts but let me just ask you one more question. Don't you guys really think that the extremly whacky humor really is out of place in this drama?
:whistling: don't know what you want to achieve with posting whining posts....
but I'll try answering your question anyways ^^.
The humor was hilarious, appropriate and helps emphasize the Ariake bond. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy watching those 3 siblings. I think each gag (?.. er.. eg: Togami's Hayashi Rice, Koichi awkwardness, George-san sudden outburst etc, etc) blends well with the story. After the awesome 2nd episode, I'm looking forward to the swindling drama :)

The angst is still there.
Especially watching Koichi serving his hayashi rice. :sad:
Just a suggestion though, stop watching if you don't like. I heard Bloody Monday is good. Watch that instead ^^v

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 28th, '08, 12:16

It works for me. Loving the Lupin III Theme-like music in the 2nd ep's swindling plot^^

The only thing doesn't work for me, is the themesong... still :lol
In Ep2, it just didn't come out right that after the sad and painful scene of 12 yrs old Koichi, then Beautiful Days came on :scratch:

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Oct 28th, '08, 14:14

yanie wrote:
The only thing doesn't work for me, is the themesong... still :lol
Agreed. I'm not sure if it's just that I don't like the song or that it doesn't fit the drama. I'm usually pretty nonchalant about theme songs, I don't usually like them or the band that performs them, but I don't hate them either. This time it really bothers me. :scratch:

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Oct 28th, '08, 14:29

yanie wrote:Loving the Lupin III Theme-like music in the 2nd ep's swindling plot^^
You're not the only one. 8)

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 28th, '08, 16:04

chokubi wrote:
yanie wrote:Loving the Lupin III Theme-like music in the 2nd ep's swindling plot^^
You're not the only one. 8)
I third that one! :mrgreen:
Alright, I've already written two whine-posts but let me just ask you one more question. Don't you guys really think that the extremly whacky humor really is out of place in this drama?
I love the extremely whacky humor in this drama, and I do find it appropriate. If someone can combine a dark mystery with this kind of whacky humor... well, they have earned my love forever. I also agree that the humor emphasized the Ariake syblings' bond for me.

It's hard when a drama you want to like doesn't work out to be enjoyable for you. Happened to me with Zettai Kareshi, and sometimes you just have to walk away from a series that doesn't work for you. (And do whatever venting helps you on things like blogs or worst drama threads...)

The only thing doesn't work for me, is the themesong... still
Agreed. I'm not sure if it's just that I don't like the song or that it doesn't fit the drama. I'm usually pretty nonchalant about theme songs, I don't usually like them or the band that performs them, but I don't hate them either. This time it really bothers me.

While I like the song itself (yeah, I'm an Arashi fan), it's always a bit of a strange transition into it for me. Maybe if they didn't seem to always jump into it from one of the sad flashbacks, it might not seem as awkward. It's like when I watched Long Love Letter. I like the song Loveland Island, but it always seemed an odd fit to the series. :scratch:

lushtea

Post by lushtea » Oct 28th, '08, 16:12

are we still comparing the drama with the books.. because then i have no idea ..
the books is just a masterpiece of its own, but this drama has kudo kankuro written all over it.. so having a wacky humor is kinda acceptable.. imo, though..

about the theme song, it kinda grew on me though.. besides, i love the opening...

Navin

Post by Navin » Oct 28th, '08, 20:48

I like the insert song way better. But the lyrics seem to be written for Shizuna only, so it wouldn't really fit as OP.

ikbenlief

Post by ikbenlief » Oct 28th, '08, 21:13

I really want to watch this drama... I am currently downloading this one.
I want to see Nino and Ryo!!! *drools*

rairai

Post by rairai » Oct 28th, '08, 22:20

i didnt expect it to be funny.. i thought it was like kurosagi (after reading the synopsis)..
i think its really cool.. was lmao.. esp on the post-its.. har...