[TwDrama] Black and White (2009)

Discuss chinese drama series here.
MielCanela

[TwDrama] Black and White (2009)

Post by MielCanela » Oct 11th, '08, 16:51

take a look at the full trailer for Vic Zhou's 2009 drama Pi Zi Ying Xiong (Black and White)

its subtitled in English but the subs are kinda small

its a drama but the trailer makes it look like a movie

it looks awesome to me and i can't wait to see it next year, what do you guys think?

here's the synopsis and cast from wiki

Synopsis
Pi Zi and Ying Xiong are two cops who are as different as day and night. One does nothing except for drinking coffee and living a luxurious lifestyle while waiting for information from dubious sources to crack his cases. Another believes law and justice are the pillars of society and is constantly on the street catching criminals… a little overzealously for his superior’s liking. When a case brought these two top crime solvers together, sparks flied and a little light peeked into this dark city where the nation's President is on friendly terms with the local mafia and twins kill people while drinking milkshake.

Cast
Vic Zhou as Pi Zi
Mark Zhao (趙又廷) as Ying Xiong
Ivy Chen as Chen Lin
Janine Chang as Lan Xi Ying
Xiu Jie Kai as Xiao Ma
Paul Chun as Mob boss Chen
Xu Ai Xin (徐愛心) as Twin sister
Zou Cheng En (鄒承恩) as Twin brother
Tang Guo Zhong (唐國忠)
Kageyama Yukihiko (蔭山征彥)
Kingone Wang
Zhou Xiao An (周孝安)
Wu Zhong Qiang (吳仲強)
Li Lu (李律)
Na Wei Xun
Sonia Sui
Zhao Shu Hai (趙樹海)

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Oct 11th, '08, 18:14

Looking forward to this drama. It will be nice to see a different side of Vic.

Lita Zorro

Post by Lita Zorro » Oct 14th, '08, 21:09

I think it will be super HOT!
Waiting impatiently!

vancoland

Post by vancoland » Oct 15th, '08, 18:03

wow...this i gotta see

misuzana

Post by misuzana » Dec 1st, '08, 01:20

i am waiting to see this too :whistling:

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Dec 1st, '08, 11:33

I almost never comment about tw dramas but this just looks amazing...any idea when in 2009 this will air?

Airhead

Post by Airhead » Dec 1st, '08, 15:03

WroW wrote:I almost never comment about tw dramas but this just looks amazing...any idea when in 2009 this will air?
maybe april-june 2009 - info

tavon1

Post by tavon1 » Dec 1st, '08, 16:17

this looks interesting to look at

SH_BV_7

Post by SH_BV_7 » May 1st, '09, 16:11

Bumping this thread.

I almost never watch tw dramas but this one is a definitely must watch. The story line is good + the actors are great (not to mention hot eye candy. hehe) The cliff hangers really leaves you hanging too. It's almost a pain having to wait for the next episode to air.

misuzana

Post by misuzana » May 5th, '09, 21:23

OMG when i watched the first episode i must say it had or ( have ) its funny part
and its quiet interesting :P

dabogy

Post by dabogy » May 5th, '09, 22:11

so true, can't wait for the next ep! :mrgreen:

shosef

Post by shosef » May 12th, '09, 21:59

i really really love this drama...makes me want to watch one of my all time favorite movie Infernal Affairs...love the ost too...feel so proud of Vic who had improved considerably since Meteor Garden...it's safe to say that among the original F4, he's the one who's improved a lot...

1shinigami0

the best show EVER

Post by 1shinigami0 » May 19th, '09, 09:31

I have been watching this show at Viikii.net and downloading the high quality files via torrent here. Viikii posts and translates the videos super fast, but I want to be able to watch this show again with better video quality and subtitles because this is a keeper.

The acting has been superb, the camera work great and the special effects are movie-grade quality. But the best has been the storytelling. The editing kept the story evolving at a fast pace and each episode brings more questions as it solves previous one. It has been a nice rollercoaster so far.

I absolutely recommend it.

misuzana

Post by misuzana » May 24th, '09, 00:02

omg i am like it its funny and fun to watchand
but question does any one knows who sang the theme ? :D thankz in advance

shosef

Post by shosef » May 24th, '09, 02:55

misuzana wrote:omg i am like it its funny and fun to watchand
but question does any one knows who sang the theme ? :D thankz in advance
the opening is by color feat. mark zhao (the very passionate officer in the series)
the ending is by Jason Tsou

shosef

Post by shosef » May 30th, '09, 06:28

i just saw ep. 13 and i must say i'm thrilled...i mean the possibility that Pi Zi is a son of Chen Lin's dad can put in many scenarios...

SunStar

Post by SunStar » May 31st, '09, 05:26

*wah....

there goes my hopes of PiZi and Lin Lin being together.... i really liked them together as a couple... i hope it's all a misunderstanding or something...lol

gosh... i can't wait till the end!!! i need to know the truths!!!

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » May 31st, '09, 06:33

My favorite TW drama this season. Episodes 15 & 16 on sitting on my PC waiting to be watched.

Still, it'll be terrible if Zai Tian and Chen Lin were siblings. Hopefully, the hints of them being brother and sister turns out to be a false alarm.

shosef

Post by shosef » May 31st, '09, 13:27

yeah...they look cute together..though i feel for Yi Xiong cuz he's really in love with Chen Ling...this drama keeps me in suspense...i just love it...i hope that Yi xiong would end up with the forensics girl..but then again he had this lovemaking scene with another girl so maybe they won't end up together...

SunStar

Post by SunStar » Jun 4th, '09, 08:03

true... there's pics of Ying Xiong with an upcoming character... somehow... they must have known each other in the past or something...

as for Tai Tien (Pi Zi) and Chen Lin... it looks like they're actually not brother-sister...

i can't remember where i read it from, but apparently, Pi Zi was mistaken as Chen Lin's brother and got the whole new life and identity... but it may seem like he was one of the soldiers who was with Xiao Ma when they went on a secret mission to North Korea... or something like that...

who knows...this series doesn't make anything definite yet... so we'll have to keep guessing and wait until it airs every week...

BTW... how many episodes does this series have exactly??? on dramawiki, it says 20, but on Sublimes blog...it says 24... anyone know it's exact episodes????

lilangryaznangel

Post by lilangryaznangel » Jun 10th, '09, 20:44

wait...if Zai Tian could be one of the soldiers with Xiao Ma in North Korea...wouldn't he remember something about it? I mean all we get are flash backs of when he was a begger. Also when Xiao Ma was a solider...didn't they say he died about 3 maybe 2 years ago in the storyline and also wasn't Zai Tian still a begger since the flash back kind of look like 3 years ago.

Oh man...sorry. I'm ranting again, but do correct me if this seems horribly wrong. I don't really remember what the soldier said to Ying Xiong when they went to get the information about Xiao Ma.

Masumi-chan

Post by Masumi-chan » Jun 18th, '09, 15:44

OMG just saw ep 19 and was like Whaaaaat

morserachel

Post by morserachel » Jun 26th, '09, 09:01

It's starting to get silly from 19 onwards. This is what I was afraid of. What a pity considering I really enjoyed the show so far.

OnlyXainz

Post by OnlyXainz » Jul 15th, '09, 20:46

best tdrama i've seen in a long while :D
of course the ending fell short of my expectations but what i really wanted more was a smoother transition inbetween cases :\ before i could pin down a case there was another one rolling already. what buggered me the most was how gao yi just disappeared o_O all that creepiness around him for nothing!!!
no coupling at the end either.... asjdklfasldfjalsdjf!!!!
anyhow i don't blame them and i love it nonetheless :3 finally saw chen yi han in a role that suited her better (spider lilies... x_x;)

Masumi-chan

Post by Masumi-chan » Jul 15th, '09, 21:18

still didn't watch ep 23 & 24 but they say there is a movie
quote from Black & White wiki page
The movie sequel of this drama will be released in the summer of 2010.

morserachel

Post by morserachel » Jul 16th, '09, 14:48

Onlyxainz wrote:
of course the ending fell short of my expectations but what i really wanted more was a smoother transition inbetween cases :\ before i could pin down a case there was another one rolling already. what buggered me the most was how gao yi just disappeared o_O all that creepiness around him for nothing!!!
no coupling at the end either.... asjdklfasldfjalsdjf!!!!
Didn't mind that but what bugs me is that
That Mu Sha woman, out of the blue, after trying to kill Ying Xiong decides she loves him to bits and had to kill herself. It really doesn't make sense to me.
Chen Lin deciding to confront those professional killers on her own really takes the cake for being ridiculous.
That guy who was trying to kill Xi Ying, after a few words from her, decided to turn into a new leaf. Hello, we are here talking about a professional killer not some namby-pamby individual!!
But despite all the flaws I found it entertaining. Nice to see Vic Zhao in such a role after the last few disasters. Mark Chao was a revelation. Soo hot! :wub:

yukino2002

Post by yukino2002 » Jul 17th, '09, 18:46

I thought they did this one pretty well too. I feel like the production team put some thought in the music selection. I really like the soundtrack and it fits the show.

I think Vic Zhou is doing choosing different characters to act to challenge himself. Actually, I saw on one of the interviews that the director actually wrote the character with Vic in mind because Vic actually has a more playful side that he doesn't reveal all the time. Anyways though, his character shows a lot of conflicting emotions underneath the playful facade which is not easy to pull off!

Mark Chao was superb - especially for a first time actor. Also from his interviews, I can tell that he has a can-do professional attitude which is a plus! He's perfect for the straight-forward, brave cop seeking to do good and catch the bad guys. (Of course, it isn't as simple as that with the twists in this movie).

I really liked the contrast between the two characters and although I must say that there were parts of the drama where I was like "uhh.... this is impossible or just utterly stupid" (like what morserachel mentioned), but it was definitely enjoyable w/ lots of eye candy to boot.

joolie

Post by joolie » Jul 19th, '09, 09:39

This drama made me fall in love again with Vic Zhou <3
and it's a first time for me to see his playful side :b

homenextyear

Post by homenextyear » Jul 23rd, '09, 23:31

to watch Black & White episodes @ http://www.d-addicts.com

AxiomofDreams

Post by AxiomofDreams » Jul 24th, '09, 03:53

@morserachel:
Totally agreed! The part from Lei MuSha was worst for me probably. I'd understand it if she was already in the drama at the beginning. They relied too much on the actors to convey their past relationships.

Chen Lin's bit was understandable because they took her father I guess.

Anyways, small complaints aside, this is definitely the best TW Drama I've ever seen, and I wish they would make a sequel instead of a movie. The cast works great together and I want to see more work from Chao in the future!

morserachel

Post by morserachel » Jul 24th, '09, 13:55

That Chen Lin bit that I quoted earlier was because she could have taken the whole San Lian hui there. Don't you think that would have been more logical and sensible?

Umm, I really like the chemistry between Vic and Mark. The despise and rivalry which slowly changed to reluctant friendship and finally morphed into brotherly love was done well.

You are right, wouldn't mind another season but hopefully they will put more thought into the storyline this time.

AxiomofDreams

Post by AxiomofDreams » Jul 29th, '09, 04:54

Oh yeah. You know what, I was looking for that Da Yen guy when she first appeared on the screen...forgot haha

Yeah, I felt the whole cast went together really well, and they contrasted each other for a little bit of everything.

Hope the movie will be on par with the drama!

Phillykat

Post by Phillykat » Jul 29th, '09, 05:53

Masumi-chan wrote:still didn't watch ep 23 & 24 but they say there is a movie
quote from Black & White wiki page
The movie sequel of this drama will be released in the summer of 2010.
fantastic! thanks!
yukino2002 wrote:I thought they did this one pretty well too. I feel like the production team put some thought in the music selection. I really like the soundtrack and it fits the show.

I think Vic Zhou is doing choosing different characters to act to challenge himself. Actually, I saw on one of the interviews that the director actually wrote the character with Vic in mind because Vic actually has a more playful side that he doesn't reveal all the time. Anyways though, his character shows a lot of conflicting emotions underneath the playful facade which is not easy to pull off!

Mark Chao was superb - especially for a first time actor. Also from his interviews, I can tell that he has a can-do professional attitude which is a plus! He's perfect for the straight-forward, brave cop seeking to do good and catch the bad guys. (Of course, it isn't as simple as that with the twists in this movie).

I really liked the contrast between the two characters and although I must say that there were parts of the drama where I was like "uhh.... this is impossible or just utterly stupid" (like what morserachel mentioned), but it was definitely enjoyable w/ lots of eye candy to boot.
I didn't know the part about the writer thinking of Vic when he wrote the part, but I do agree he's doing a good job at picking different roles for himself (if indeed he does.. the system they have in Asia is a little reminiscent of old Hollywood it seems). I'm glad. I think it was ep 11 when we saw his reaction to his "transition" and he was brillant. He kind of reminded of a monkey or maybe L from Death Note. If they ever make a Chinese Death Note, he's perfect. He had the right amount of every emotion necessary for each scene.

I also agree with you about Mark. I think what might have been lucky for him was having his dad on set. As a new actor if he was ever wobbly or unsure, his dad was there for support.

I loved it. Yeah they reached a bit, but I didn't mind. I really don't think the chic going from killing him to herself was that much of a stretch. It could have been written better but the elements for it were there. Same thing with the twin guy. His programming started to revert when they killed his sister. All he wanted was revenge. If he tells all he knows, he'll probably not go to jail, but he will get the revenge he wanted for his sister. Someone mentioned the lack of coupling and to that I can only say HALLELUJAH!!!!! It was a cop show not a romance. It had quite enough.

yukino2002

Post by yukino2002 » Jul 31st, '09, 20:11

Phillykat wrote: I didn't know the part about the writer thinking of Vic when he wrote the part, but I do agree he's doing a good job at picking different roles for himself (if indeed he does.. the system they have in Asia is a little reminiscent of old Hollywood it seems).
Yeah people get type cast all the time in Asia it seems. I hope that Vic will be able to break out of the Idol mold.

lunas

Post by lunas » Jul 31st, '09, 20:43

I think a lot of actors/actress in both Asia and in Hollywood get typecasts if they are good in acting a certain character and some are just plain bad that it doesn't matter how many movies they are in, it's the same character with different name. I really don't know which is better, get typecasts or act as the same character in every movies.
I've to say overall it's not a bad series but toward the end, everything seems to be a little rush rather than let the storyline gradually layout.

fwfan888

Post by fwfan888 » Aug 30th, '09, 13:51

hope it is good

misuzana

Post by misuzana » Sep 2nd, '09, 00:49

Now what an ending ...evrything came out ..whose son is whose and some other but the best and can of sad part for me (
was where pizi found that girl he Xiao ma i think is her name was alive after all what he went thriught looking for her :-( ... ... the fighting in the end wasn't all that some piece was just dumb :glare: but hey that how they wanted what i can do right LOL
but overall it was good pizi went back to his old ways
and started trusting people
:cheers:

andrewjho

Post by andrewjho » Sep 19th, '09, 02:22

Sweet.

erilot

Post by erilot » Feb 18th, '10, 03:48

Any other good dramas like Black&White! I just finished and loved it. Tempted to buy the DVD's but not sure of the quality of the english subtitles, but the only raws I can get are for real player which can't be burned to a DVD.