Possible to combine two ADSL lines, for more Upload speed?

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
Sesam

Possible to combine two ADSL lines, for more Upload speed?

Post by Sesam » Dec 2nd, '08, 17:01

I know it should be theoretically possible, but can you really do it in practice with a moderate amount of money?, and if so what kind of equipment would I need?. The problem is that I have the fastest connection I can get in my area, that is approx 12Mbit Down/1Mbit up. 1Mbit is not much if running a few torrents, and doing other stuff online.

Also would it be possible for the ISP to adjust so that you get slower download but faster upload?, or is there some technical limitation why ADSL is offered with so slow speeds upstream?.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 3rd, '08, 07:22

you can google to find out why in *most* (not all) circumstances, adsl has difficulty competing with cable. but in some areas, dsl is actually better than cable due to a variety of reasons. someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but since dsl is carried over copper twisted pair, there are limitations to it. whereas the coaxial that cable uses can carry more.

that being said, i have never heard of combining two dsl lines for more bandwidth. i guess if you got two dsl lines, you could hook up two computers? but could you get the same torrent to run off those two dsl lines? i doubt that since they would be two separate ip addresses.

the bottom-line answer to your question is YES. your isp *can* give you more bandwidth - more download, more upload, etc. if you PAY for it.

br4nd0n

Post by br4nd0n » Dec 3rd, '08, 07:39

if you have two different lines you can bridge them together in windows, but I am completely unsure about it. (I recently seen the option when i was fiddling with it, but it may be wireless only)
Good thing about dsl is that you have an unlimited bandwidth (from what I've heard)
When you get a cable connection or optical the ISP puts caps on your download/upload bandwidth.

Sesam

Post by Sesam » Dec 3rd, '08, 11:15

Thanks for the replies, well unfortunately my ADSL line is already maxed out. Because I have such long distance to the base-station. And unfortunately ADSL is the only kind of connection I can get in my area.

Anyway I will propably call my ISP and see if they have any solutions for combining several ADSL lines for faster speeds.... I reluctantly call them, because they always have a 30+ minutes call queue :P

Airhead

Post by Airhead » Dec 3rd, '08, 11:37

faster speed and/or combining isn't aviable, because of the fixed ip-adress connection between modem and pc
u can work with 2 or more lines at one pc if u use vmware and give the vm's exclusive rights to one of the networkcards (1 vm = 1 line = 1 networkcard)
(use the vm for torrents and the hostsys for everything else)

cu

ps: i won't answer the question "how", there are enough documents about VMware aviable :)

mt877

Post by mt877 » Dec 3rd, '08, 21:40

Other fine folks have already mentioned google...

Do a search for "multi-wan router" or "multi wan router". You'll find what you are looking for. As for reasonable cost,
expect to start at $300 and up for a dual wan router. Maybe you have a spare PC around that you can turn into
a multi wan router. You could keep the cost down by using open source router software, Vyatta comes to mind.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Dec 4th, '08, 03:48

guess i'm learning something here. wasn't sure how it was possible, but that multi-wan router sounds like your solution.

but as i was saying in my previous post, i question the feasibility of it. i don't know how the pricing in sweden works, but here in the usa, it seems like getting a $300 modem and paying for two separate dsl lines would be more expensive than just upgrading the bw of your current one to something like a 'small-business class' line?

Sesam

Post by Sesam » Dec 4th, '08, 17:21

jholic wrote:guess i'm learning something here. wasn't sure how it was possible, but that multi-wan router sounds like your solution.

but as i was saying in my previous post, i question the feasibility of it. i don't know how the pricing in sweden works, but here in the usa, it seems like getting a $300 modem and paying for two separate dsl lines would be more expensive than just upgrading the bw of your current one to something like a 'small-business class' line?
Yea I have made some research now, and concluded that if I want something stable and fast the best option would likely be Zyxels ZyWALL 35. It is a bit on the expensive side $300+, but according to reviews the cheaper alternatives avaible are unreliable.

I don't have the option to upgrade the bandwith of my current line, because I already have the fastest service that is provided in my area. So the only option would be to get another line.

But anyway I have made some calculations, and actually two separate DSL lines would not be much more expensive than my current one. Because I'm paying for 24mbit, but only getting approx 12mbit, An 8Mbit (guaranteed bandwith) DSL line would be cheaper, and with two of those I would get faster download and double the upload speed.. for just an moderate amount of more money per month.. So the only thing holding me back is basically the initial investment of the equipment.

conheomap

Post by conheomap » Jan 1st, '09, 20:46

I've been using dual wan router for 2..3 months connected to 2 cable modems. I use IDM (internet download manager) 99% of the time to download. Before using single line the speed was ~2.0MB/s now with 2 lines, the speed is 3.5MB/s - 3.8MB/s. Upload speed will increase in applications with multiple connections at the same time like torrents. I heard you can do the same using 2 network cards and 3rd party software. I didn't want to dig into that so i bought a dual wan router for $170 and it's been stable for me.