What J-Drama would you like to see Hollywood try to remake?

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
snoopypal

Post by snoopypal » Dec 2nd, '08, 02:08

Okay, before you all go on a rant about how this question is as close to j-drama fan sacrilege as any, please keep in mind that I'm not saying it would be any good, just what j-drama might be interesting for Hollywood to attempt a remake.

I know there are a lot of cultural nuances that would have to be partially or completely revamped in order for American audiences to understand. Also the selection of the right actors would be a source of endless debate (and possibly another topic thread?).

So, with that said, name a show you'd like to see the Hollywood machine try to wrap its paws around, maybe describe some plot lines that would need to be revised, and if you can think of any, what actors would replace their Japanese counterparts? Be adventurous, as in Eliza Dushku in Mop Girl would be way too easy!!! :lol

To get the ball rolling:

Densha Otoko: Hardcore comics-gamer geek and office clerk (Frankie Muniz) saves a quiet, emotionally scarred fashion model (Mandy Moore) while riding the New York subway. He then uses an assortment of wireless mobile devices to seek on-the-fly advice from anonymous forum dwellers to court her. Guest cameos galore filling in for the forum gallery.
I think Muniz would actually be perfect. Not so sure about Mandy Moore but she's pretty without being a bombshell and the 6-inch height difference is irresistible casting!

It'd also be interesting to see how Gokusen would translate. An Italian mafia princess would be obvious but they could go for a swerve and maybe make her come from a Vietnamese or Chinese Triad family.

TofuQueen

Post by TofuQueen » Dec 2nd, '08, 02:24

Honestly...I would purely hate to see Hollywood try to remake any J-Dramas. :pale:

It's pretty rare for a remake to be as good as, never mind better than, the original...and part of what I enjoy about J-drama is that it's NOT American.

If there was a remake, I doubt I'd watch it.

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Dec 2nd, '08, 02:58

Sorry, but I'm in total agreement with TofuQueen. The reason I'm so addicted to jdrama is precisely because it isn't Hollywood. They can't even make anything worth watching from all the wonderful Brit stuff they try to remake.

snoopypal

Post by snoopypal » Dec 2nd, '08, 03:12

Hmm...I see we're already going off topic here. That's okay. Let me clarify: I didn't intend for this topic to go bashing North American productions. I really do enjoy j-drama but i wouldn't be honest if I said that all american productions are bad and all the japanese shows I've watched are good.

But aside from that, many countries take story ideas and influences from one another all the time, sometimes acknowledging source material, sometimes not.

And like I said, I'll concur that the majority of remakes don't live up to the original.

I'm 99.9% sure that we will never have to witness our favourite j-dramas turned inside out by the Hollywood factory, less likely so for Japanese movies. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever imagined a particular j-drama being remade and how would you envision it. Play producer, so to speak.

ILoveKoyuki

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Dec 2nd, '08, 04:42

well im not gonna bash america products but i will tell tha truth
most american tv is garbage mainly ur MTV, BET, and especially E! shows
most of it is jus plain sensational garbage :roll (wonders)

but they have made some GREAT television!!!
namely 24, the unit (at times), and house
and great comedy like Always Sunny In Philadelphia <----LMAO!!!! :lol

as long as tha dorama has nuttin ta dew with love or human relationships i think it would be find . . . . maybe. . . . . big maybe!!!! :glare:
seeing as hollywood has sum weird obsession wit sexinizing (new word!!! 5 pts) everything

so even thought its not my favorite i would like ta see whut hollywood could dew wit 'Bloody Monday' i like tha show as is. . . but seeing fujimaru cryin all tha time like a kindergartener who got put in time out GETS ON MY NEVRES :crazy: , its not cute at all, and doesnt make him seem more like a human. . . its jus dumb, im sure real japanese teenage boys dont cry that much :unsure:

i dont have a cast setup but hopefully they can make it good seeing as the dorama is very similar to 24. . . . matter of fact i think they already made a season wit a similar premiss. . . . hhmmm umm. . . well i guess they could still do it??? :scratch:

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Dec 2nd, '08, 04:58

I must be like the only person in this forum who LOVES American entertainment except for those shows (mainly reality) on the such channels ILoveKoyuki listed at the beginning of his/her comment.

I think I would like to see how Galileo would turn out. It's almost like Bones (which is my favorite show in the whole world!!!) but instead of anthropology, its on Physics. :)

Koizora can be pretty well done by the Hollywood makers. Although American critics usually hate these kind of tragic melodrama movies, it will be something that a lot of us are used to seeing, sad chic flicks.

ILoveKoyuki

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Dec 2nd, '08, 07:02

yea but even there other shows are horribly over-sexed to tha point where its ridiculous
like Grey's Anatomy . . . really where in tha world dew these doctors find tha time ta have sex in a hospital . . . shouldnt they being out tryna save life instead of always cryin about how horrible their superficial lovelifes (or for that matter sexlifes) are?

and a doctor even having sex with a ghost??
whuts next. . . really?

i have a BEARD!!! :lol

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Dec 3rd, '08, 00:14

^lol, I don't even want to watch Grey's Anatomy because it's way too dramatic but who knows what's really happening in a hospital these days. There will always be shows (in any countries) that have weird and over dramatic, ridiculous shows. xD

Another one that I thought would be cool is: Change, but it's been kind of done in the U.S. before so I don't know if it really counts.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Dec 3rd, '08, 00:33

After seeing what Hollywood has done to Chakushin Ari, I don't want them touching any of my favorite jdramas or movies! They completely ruined an incredibly great horror movie >.<

noisia

Post by noisia » Dec 3rd, '08, 10:11

I personally see a lot of potential for comedies. Look at Scrubs, that sort of silly comedy turned out great. If they can successfully port an Asian story over to the West, I reckon it would work quite well (not My Sassy Girl LOL).

JikokunoShuusennin

Post by JikokunoShuusennin » Dec 3rd, '08, 16:04

Hmm, this is a really cool topic... I just wish people would actually discuss the topic and not bash.
----

I think the medical/cop based thrillers would work well re-made.

Something like Iryuu Team Dragon could be done well... or even Maou. Anything where there isn't any extended amount of cheesy fake-emotional acting. lol

All of the school/relationship based ones are subject to Americanization... which really takes away from the show overall.

xtraordinarilynaked

Post by xtraordinarilynaked » Dec 3rd, '08, 16:24

Its not a jdrama but I heard that hollywood is making a live action movie for Dragonball.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Dec 3rd, '08, 22:52

omg guys XD why are you changing the topic!!
anyway.. thanks a lot snoopypal.. it's good to have a wide imagination..

for me I just thought about making a remake for CHANGE
although I'm sure that no one from Hollywood will be like Kimura Takuya :D
emm couldn't think of an actor XD maybe Johnny Depp? even though he's 10 years older than Kimura !
at least people will see some kissing scenes XD hmm Angelina Jolie instead of Eri :scratch:

I would also suggest My Boss My Hero & Seigi no Mikata_(2008) -- because I feel that Hollywood might have more chances of success with remaking comedy-dramas.

groink

Post by groink » Dec 4th, '08, 02:07

One note about Japanese-turned-American dramas. You can basically use the storyline, but they would definitely need to replace the Asian philosophies with western philosophies. And most of the time, there is absolutely no way these philosophies can be translated or replaced without totally ruining the storyline.

I'll give you an example: NHK's Asuka. Asuka enjoys making wagashi, and takes it upon herself to break the gender barrier by allowing women to become wagashi masters. The problem with the story is that I don't think any American takes serious pride in crafts like making wagashi, or have the urge to break down gender barriers. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, gender-related stories like Norma Rae were popular. But today... Sheesh, just look at how Sarah Palin or Hillary were treated.

Another example is NHK's Fight. What makes this story really special is that you have a stubborn man who would sacrifice the stability of his family over his craft of making springs. I can find absolutely no way a story like this would be digestible by the American audience. First, it would need to be a Hallmark drama special, as Hallmark can get away with writing softy storylines like this. A story like this produced by any of the major TV networks - it would be a disaster because, for starters, an American would say to hell with his occupation, keep his family together and live off food stamps. Also, no man would be making springs in America. And, the wife can't be THAT forgiving that would allow the husband to keep an abandoned factory while forcing her and their daughter to work as maids in a far-away town.

That's really the problem with bringing Asian dramas to America. Anyone who watches Japanese dramas must understand that, regardless of you believing that the philosophies you're absorbing via these shows is normal, they're really not normal in the west. This is why many attempts have turned up bad. Dramas demonstrating perseverance like Oshin or Hoshi no Kinka would definitely fail.

And the reverse is also just as bad. Just look at what TBS did to Bewitched!

--- groink

broken_string

Post by broken_string » Dec 5th, '08, 02:15

since i come across this thread

actually there is one CBS drama that i would like to see a remake in dorama style
its about a guy who receive tomorrow's newspaper today, its deliver by a mysterious cat..
the name of the drama is Early Edition..

Hope to have Atsushi Itō playing the main actor, stirring up lots of trouble and comedy in the neighborhood while trying to prevent terrible events each day :D

the plot and story is quite simple and i feel that it can be easily transfer over.

my 2 cents :D

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Dec 5th, '08, 02:47

JikokunoShuusennin wrote: I think the medical/cop based thrillers would work well re-made.

Something like Iryuu Team Dragon could be done well... or even Maou. Anything where there isn't any extended amount of cheesy fake-emotional acting. lol
That's because cop and medical shows are the exact same thing every time. The country doesn't matter. Basically ER, Grey's Anatomy, House, Code Blue, Iryuu Team Dragon.... same show. It's all saving people's lives and dealing with their personal lives, just to differing degrees. Same exact thing with cop shows. So technically you don't need to remake it because it was already remade dozens of times.

The point of remaking something from another country is because it's an unique idea. It's why Japan stole Mop Girl. It was an unique idea that they didn't already have.

Now when you get into the unique shows it's hard to find ones that will translate either way well because like groink said... our worlds are so different. For example, Shigeshoshi is one of the most unique shows I've ever seen. It's about an unusual topic. It's dark, funny, touching, and sad all at once. But it would never be able to be an American show because embalming came from the west. A huge part of the show was that he had to hide his identity because embalming is new and not really accepted to Japanese people, who cremate their dead.

When you cross out the ones that already exist in America and the ones that simply wouldn't make sense (and the ones that suck) you have very few shows that actually have potential.

hwhh

Post by hwhh » Dec 5th, '08, 02:52

Although it's definitely taboo - especially in Florida, Majo no Jouken would be disturbingly realistic and possible interesting. But, I don't think it could ever appear on American TV.
Something else a little dark like Sora Kara Furu Ichi Oku No Hoshi or Byakuyakou would do pretty well though - at least I think it would.
Or, something like Stand Up!! or Proposal Daisakusen...

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 5th, '08, 03:37

I would like to see a remake of "Daisuki!!" I think it's something that can be made into an US show since I think it will tackle an issue that America really hasn't before... unless they did and I missed it ^_^U But will see it going in a more different direction that the Japanese one, since it's two completely different cultures.

And I don't know why people have to start ranting about how the remakes are going to be bad when the author made a thread about which drama you would like to see remade... just if people don't have anything to contribute to the thread, then they shouldn't post at all. Personally, how someone sad that American dramas have too much sex stuff, the Japanese dramas I watch seem to have too many love-triangles. Someone like this person, but likes someone else blah blah. But who cares? It's just a cultural/ audience thing. And naming stations like MTV and BET and E! are bad examples of America "drama" since they mainly show (MTV for sure) just show reality shows...

groink

Post by groink » Dec 5th, '08, 03:44

Puppet Princess wrote:Same exact thing with cop shows. So technically you don't need to remake it because it was already remade dozens of times.
The interesting thing about the Japanese is that they approach crime at a totally different angle. In many of the series - especially these tanpatsu-like shows on Fuji TV, you don't even see the main characters carry a gun. Unlike the American mentality where criminals are just bad people and they should be shot/thrown in prison, these deka/keiji shows basically show that there is a root cause to each criminal, and therefore they show a lot of compassion for these thugs. The closest thing I can think of in American TV is maybe Criminal Minds, which IMO is the best crime drama to come out of Hollywood in years. With that, I can easily see Abunai Deka become an American crime drama, as it kind of reminds me of Starsky & Hutch but with a lot more dancing and slapstick comedy. But I cannot for the life of me see something like Hagure Keiji Junjoha or Aibo being filmed in a major American city.

--- groink

newrealmking

Post by newrealmking » Dec 5th, '08, 03:56

Yama Onna Kabe Onna might work, not sure who would get casted though.

Lillyrain

Post by Lillyrain » Dec 5th, '08, 04:39

Although i doubt Americanisations of Jdramas would ever be anywhere near as good, I think if they were to experiment Liar Game would be an interesting turning point. :-)
Perhaps a remake of Kurosagi could be interesting (though NOONE could EVER surpass YAMAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :mrgreen:

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Dec 5th, '08, 04:54

«minah» wrote:I would like to see a remake of "Daisuki!!" I think it's something that can be made into an US show since I think it will tackle an issue that America really hasn't before... unless they did and I missed it ^_^U But will see it going in a more different direction that the Japanese one, since it's two completely different cultures.
Isn't I am Sam the same concept?

And groink... a cop show is a cop show. The American versions are just that. The American versions. That's what they would turn into if they were adapted. I would be shocked if they would stay remotely the same.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 5th, '08, 05:35

Puppet Princess wrote:
«minah» wrote:I would like to see a remake of "Daisuki!!" I think it's something that can be made into an US show since I think it will tackle an issue that America really hasn't before... unless they did and I missed it ^_^U But will see it going in a more different direction that the Japanese one, since it's two completely different cultures.
Isn't I am Sam the same concept?

And groink... a cop show is a cop show. The American versions are just that. The American versions. That's what they would turn into if they were adapted. I would be shocked if they would stay remotely the same.

I dunnooooo I don't watch much TV hehe. The only thing I watch is ANTM or The N and Family Guy toooo... but um ^_^U OH! I remember saying to myself before that they should make Maou into an America movie. I can't see it being a TV show, even when I did watch it. But I do think it can be really big globally. The story is great. I'm not finished with the Korean version, (it's so long. I like how the JPN version squeezes everything in 11 episodes) But I would like to see a remake of The Devil.

winniehurgel

Post by winniehurgel » Dec 5th, '08, 09:05

MisS Lonliah wrote:for me I just thought about making a remake for CHANGE
although I'm sure that no one from Hollywood will be like Kimura Takuya :D
emm couldn't think of an actor XD maybe Johnny Depp? even though he's 10 years older than Kimura !
at least people will see some kissing scenes XD hmm Angelina Jolie instead of Eri :scratch:
Nice idea, but both Angelina or Johnny would not be part of a television series, maybe if it was a movie?!

Unfair could be a good American television series, but maybe only because it's crime. But I can't think of a possible American cast. I like Eita and Shinohara Ryoko too much. XD

Somehoe off-topic, I think it's bad that Hollywood tries to make Live Action Movies of anime like Dragonball. They are even planning to do a movie adaptation of the anime series Monster. Great. *lol*

KIRA915

Post by KIRA915 » Dec 5th, '08, 22:12

hell no....Americanizations of J dramas would be a bad thing....i would protest it lol...
if i ever see My Boss My hero americanized i'd shoot myself

groink

Post by groink » Dec 5th, '08, 23:36

Puppet Princess wrote:And groink... a cop show is a cop show. The American versions are just that. The American versions. That's what they would turn into if they were adapted. I would be shocked if they would stay remotely the same.
You're probably right. But then this would bring back the question "Why even bother?" If CBS were to take Hagure Keiji Junjoha, and make the main character carry a gun and shoot the bag guys, then it is no longer Hagure Keiji Junjoha - the show where Yasuura uses the heart of a keiji to solve crimes.

Simply put, if Hollywood takes a Japanese script and replace Japanese values and philosophies with western ones, then IMHO I think the investment and the extra work put into the conversion is a total waste. I think writing an original American TV drama from scratch would be more productive both financially and artistically than taking a script from another country and making the conversion.

I think what makes a Japanese TV drama great is that we get to see things we do not see in an American TV drama. Japanese TV dramas are not great just because they're made in Japan or because they have better writers/actors/etc., but more likely it is because the J-drama fan favor Japanese values and traditions more than American ones. And, the Japanese TV dramas just further validates his views. So keep these things in mind the next time you see someone make a comparison of X-country shows with Y-country shows.

--- groink

Lindsey

Post by Lindsey » Dec 8th, '08, 19:29

Forbidden romance. (majo no jouken)
I feel like this would be theme that could be redone. A teacher-student drama would attract many viewers for the whole 'forbidden' theme. Some of the angles would have to be redone but both Japanese and Americans have the no-no of teacher-student relations.

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Dec 8th, '08, 20:02

i think if you want a remake, you have to look what could do well. for example(not that i want it to happen) Hana Yori Dango, how F4 lives is pretty much western. thats one asspect could work..

But i dont know if the story's is appealing to amercan or western viewers. Plus i dont like remakes anyway so i dont want it...

Plus how many times have been their great remakes?

Ive heard good things and bad thing about dragonball... concerning about the live action movie...

They changed it so much to make it viewable for american viewers...
In a way there is no way to make a movie if they dont screw like someone say it already.

I mean Goku is played by a white guy(no offens), I know goku is alien, but how many people are going to take a white man in a asian clothing serious? You see thats one thing they dont see to care about.

And Goku's name isnt that the japanese way of saying SUN WUKONG which is a chinese name?

Plus ive heard like 4 times they are maybe going to scrap it (which i doubt it realy spending 100 mill is a total waste)

and they had to push back the premiere of the trailer, for so many times now. I heard they its going to premiere now in japan on 18th december, and a pre screening on 20 december

mofa

Post by mofa » Dec 8th, '08, 20:16

They should try Hana Yori Dango. The setting could be easily handled over there and adapting the story is also not hard.

Peggy

Japan drama by US ?

Post by Peggy » Dec 8th, '08, 20:30

Basically anything that groink has said I agree with. I think if I want to watch Japanese film and drama then I want their philosophy and their ideas and talent. They are different just because it is another country and a totally different culture.
I cannot imagine 'Heaven and Earth' being made other than with and by the Japanese knowledge and soul. Yes I know the huge battle scenes were done in Canada but the important story was purely Japanese.

We have history in every country whether it is ancient or modern but it is always pertaining to the particular country and culture. You can't copy a Japanese story and give it an American slant. It is no longer the same.

I am English abd now an American citizen. I have seen stories that were originally English re-made by US and they end up totally different. Mostly they lose something in the making and many times they completely miss the point. It is something that can be very annoying when you know how something should be 'underneath' and that point is lost.
I think the same goes for trying to make a Japanese film or drama with US talent. One glaring example is 'Il Mare' . This was very delicately done in Japan and then in US it was the difference between ballet slippers and lumberjack boots. Sorry if I am treading on anyone's toes.....!!!!

I know the question was asked re Japan but really you can't take over stories from Italian or Swedish or German presentations either. Different countries have different methods and cultures to start with. Can't change that.

Peggy

hanapyupyu

Re: Japan drama by US ?

Post by hanapyupyu » Dec 9th, '08, 10:47

Peggy wrote:
I think the same goes for trying to make a Japanese film or drama with US talent. One glaring example is 'Il Mare' . This was very delicately done in Japan and then in US it was the difference between ballet slippers and lumberjack boots.
Peggy
Il Mare is originally a Korean movie, not Japanese.

nelo

Post by nelo » Dec 9th, '08, 15:42

maybe : Crying Out Loud in the center of the world :)

ILoveKoyuki

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Dec 11th, '08, 07:22

I HAVE IT!!!! I HAVE IT!!!!

after watching pineapple express i kno which show would be slightly do-able

IKEBUKURO WEST GATE PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!

after watching pineapple express i realized dat JAMES FRANCO would make the
perfect version of an american KING ANDOH!!!!!
they jus need dye his hair and give em a blowout
it would be awesome

because IWGP did really focus on japanese philosophies like most otha doramas try to incorporate

i mean its about tha youth in a particular part of a city and some gang violence, drug
use, sex, hanging out and fruits all of these things caan be incorporated inta an
american production
i mean hikaru gave makoto a pair of J's in one episode

i believe if they keep it tru to tha comedy feel and dont try ta make it anotha
garbage-wannabe-gangsta-bastard-child like THE WIRE then it should b fine

obviously it could take place in california and then you could put tha triads in place of tha
yakuza and maybe a mexican gang instead of the black angels and they should
definately use Luis Guzman and Robert LoSardo
and since i caant think of anotha goofy guy i guess Dax Shepard could be makoto
but im blank on tha rest of tha cast

anyone got any ideas

mahirghari

Post by mahirghari » Dec 11th, '08, 07:40

HELLS TO THE NO!

IWGP is one of the best, most epic, most uniquely Japanese Drama classics, EVER!

No way you can Americanize that. Don't get me wrong, your American castings and whatnot are pretty cool and I see where you're going with that. But let's keep it at that cause IWGP is sacred ground.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 11th, '08, 08:28

Yes indeed,,you are absolutely correct 'Il Mare ' is indeed Korean. I have thought of it as Japanese before for some reason. I think it was such a beautiful production and not really like most Korean film or drama. It has a very ethereal feeling which reminds me of a Japanese work. In any event there is an essence there which was never caught in the American film.

Forgive my error but it still pertains to not remaking or taking over a work from something Asian and making it into an American production.

Peggy

ILoveKoyuki

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Dec 11th, '08, 15:52

mahirghari wrote:HELLS TO THE NO!

IWGP is one of the best, most epic, most uniquely Japanese Drama classics, EVER!

No way you can Americanize that. Don't get me wrong, your American castings and whatnot are pretty cool and I see where you're going with that. But let's keep it at that cause IWGP is sacred ground.
yuh i agree
lol it is sacred ground
i guess i jus got carried away
maybe I could redo it but never hollywood LOL!!!!!
YES IT IS PERFECTION AS IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NEVER SHALL IT BE TOUCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Dec 11th, '08, 16:11

people welcome to 2008...

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 11th, '08, 16:41

Actually I think IWGP would be perfect, just I think it wouldn't be a remake, like not trying to duplicate it, but in America it would be called "inspired by a Japanese drama," or "based off" because, I think for this to be a "remake" it really can't, since one, the title will be completely different . I think this show would have an excuse to make it Americanized, since gang life and the police force here is different than in Japan since it's um...... two different cultures, so they will be different but I think the American version would be good in it's own way. If they still try to have the same humor. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself well when I say that the "remake" can't really be a complete "remake."

And since IWGP was mentioned, I think Akihabara@Large would be a perfect remake. It would go in a different direction like IWGP, but it can be about American "otaku" and like, maybe have like an otaku convention with people yelling at them saying "You freaks!" and giving them mean looks (yeah... I experienced that two years ago at Otakon.... hehe) but the story will change to fit how it is to be an "otaku" in America, since this subject really never came up in any shows (only in Degrass, which is Canadian for like one episode when one guy likes anime and this one girl did he fell in love) Bu yeah, and still have this really old American otaku guy who is maybe in charge in like.... I dunno but he can't exactly be like that guy in the original. I think it would take place in Cali, since I know that's where a lot of Asians are so I'm only guessing they may have a lot of Japanese imports and some type of Asian community or something? I think this could easily be done. Just think of the countless anime fans here in America who are like, anti-social with other or "normal" people. Dunno about actors/actresses though....

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Dec 12th, '08, 03:54

Call me pessimistic, but given the kind of cruddy productions that come out of the US, they would, in all likelyhood, completely botch any remakes or adaptations. So no, I don't think they should try.

vhh

Post by vhh » Dec 13th, '08, 23:02

None at all. Hollywood can and will break any original concept, then disfigure it with cheap plots and clichés after the first season.

I only watch one American drama now, only because I've been watching since the beginning and it's now in its last season. :lol
Last edited by vhh on Dec 17th, '08, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

artalicous
Wales

Post by artalicous » Dec 14th, '08, 01:10

No No ...lets see how I will say it correctly...

Mostly all movie companies around the world try to remake some film, dramas... "from other countries and so" , we know that, ...

But there is a difference in some things ... I hate the faked that I was facing years before (Internet was still a newbie and no dramas and films could be found on-line), so when I entered to DvD store, that was filled with "Hollywood films". Plus if you where stuck in a small home down that where your choices {thanx I was not}... then you never had the change to watch from other countries films....only some the most comertional...

So "Hollywood industry" is know all around the world, and good for it...Yeah I am watching those movies too and I like them and series too...

But enough is enough, some films and some dramas shall been film by the right parties ....

It took me some time to get Asia films and dramas, now I can understand them and I like then even if they get bizarre, wired...but I would never get "Gokusen" if It was film by "Hollywood" and keeping the same plot, because it would be compared to USA films and it would not make any seance...

That's why i insist each film shall have the original audio language and from us to understand it should be subbed...

Finally what I am saying is that, how many of us like watching our fevered actor/actress not listen to his/her voice...how many would wish to see their best Asia film or drama played by Hollywood actors...

Come people lets get real, for example "Gokusen" I could see it with other (eg hollywood actors), who would not like (from those who like the drama) season 2 not acted by Akanishi or Kanemashi, and who would not wanted their voices....
Its like (I mean the idea I am not comparing any actors or films , cause their in different fields and have different standards) watching the "lord of the rings " and legolas would not be played by Bloom or his voice...and in "the pirates of the..." Captain Sparow would not be played by jonny deep (ok the example suck )
Anyway is like we can get why in most Japanese Drama there will be found karaoke, group-dating, taken pictures ...cute and naive girls ,bad guys that are not bad but the circumstances made them ...(ok they can be found in most Asia dramas)...but in Hollywood it would be awful...like the chinese film "the eye" nice thriller, but hollywood production was not getting ...

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 14th, '08, 17:14

But these remakes aren't being made for us Asian-drama fans but for everyone. You really can't please everyone, it's impossible. And we can't have them take place in those kind of surroundings like karaoke and group-dating. Not if the director and producer and everyone getting a big budget to make a movie/show that would make sense over in Japan and not in the US. At least be happy that Hollywood picked up on a drama that we liked and think it can make money. I see it as a compliment. But if Japan remade an American show, well it's obviously going to have changes. Lots of girls and boys in uniforms, which isn't common in the States, 16-year olders working part-time when they're not suppose to when it's perfectly fine over here. When it seems bad for a girl to get pregnant in school, and the whole city knowing about it, and school trying to kick you out. I know I had countless teenage moms when I was in highschool. But it's not that big of a deal here. You can't remake a show like in LIFE, when that class had a bullying problem and the school won't acknowledge it. Because well, bullying over there is different than over here. Changes have to be made. So instead of it really being a "remake" it's more like a country-adaption or just "inspiried by" Unless it's like a universal script, like Romeo and Juliet and there was an American version and a Japanese version. Then it would be a "remake" unless it adpats to their culture (Like the Leonardo Di Capio.... whatever it's spelt... in that R&J when it was word from word and action from the play, but used modern things. It would be coll in Japan if they did the same exact thing, but used their culture reference.... wow... I would like to see that ^_^

But yeah, I think everyone is scared of the changes from the adaption, and American always screw things up anyway. But fans shouldn't be so bias. And some (not all) directors like doing things in their style. Like drawing, you want to do it in your style and interpret how they see fit. Anything is possible to to remake, but to at least have it sell and people not watching it because it's more Japanese, it's not going to. (Unless it's historical like maybe Graves of the Fireflies where that can be remade and people will know what's going on and see it from a different perspective... it'll be kind of how Memoris of a Geisha was made. When you know it's about Japanese life.

But yeah, if it's remade with us knowing what's going on (if it stays Japanese-like) then it's going nowhere. We just have to look at it overall and know it go anywhere if it's not understandable by the viewers. (It's not like an anime that really should stay the same since when a company plans to dub, they should know it's about Japanese society and should just waste money to re-make to make it American... then that's stupid) I hope I make sense....?

groink

Post by groink » Dec 14th, '08, 22:20

In short... I'm seeing some really negative stuff about American cinema and television in general. For those of you who are thinking along those lines, just get over it because it makes you sound like a Japanophile. And Japanophiles have absolutely no credibility in this community whatsoever. This level of criticism just shows the very low depth of your knowledge of entertainment on an academic level, and the urge to quickly criticize something that to this day is non-existent, in order to make you feel good about yourself and think you're being trendy and a part of the majority. Like criticizing the U.S. over politics, it is too easy to criticize Hollywood since it is a popular thing to do. This topic does not need this nonsense. This topic is simply one that basically asks as simple question. Stick to the discussion defined in the first post, and refrain from further criticisms.

--- groink

powerKid

Post by powerKid » Dec 15th, '08, 15:49

I would like to see Sailor Moon! Not because it is good, but because it is the most stupid funny as hell crap **** I have ever seen. Imagine like Mandy Moore, Lindsey Lohan, Olsen Twins, Hillary Duff or somewhat young actress wearing a blue wig and a sailor uniform ^^ that would be entertaining for generations!

apart from that i am not sure about the hollywoodization of japanese series. the culture differences are too big. But Things like HYD should be possible, shouldn't they? Or Enka no Joo (someone becoming country musician) or Around 40. Team Batista no Eiko is quite easy as well. It's a hospital drama but a little different ^^

Thinking of Enka no Joo you could easily use a former celeb that is now struggling to get jobs for the leading role ^^

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Dec 15th, '08, 15:52

I take my statement back.. I think Bloody Monday would be a great drama to remake. Its just that Bloody Mondays anti terrorist organization seems to lack umm... security for its own HQ lol

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Dec 15th, '08, 16:23

groink wrote:In short... I'm seeing some really negative stuff about American cinema and television in general. For those of you who are thinking along those lines, just get over it because it makes you sound like a Japanophile. And Japanophiles have absolutely no credibility in this community whatsoever. This level of criticism just shows the very low depth of your knowledge of entertainment on an academic level, and the urge to quickly criticize something that to this day is non-existent, in order to make you feel good about yourself and think you're being trendy and a part of the majority. Like criticizing the U.S. over politics, it is too easy to criticize Hollywood since it is a popular thing to do. This topic does not need this nonsense. This topic is simply one that basically asks as simple question. Stick to the discussion defined in the first post, and refrain from further criticisms.

--- groink
If you watched the original of something and loved it do you like to see a port of it? Watch how they drain the original of its feel, especially after you become accustomed to the main characters. Look at One Missed call, I didn't like the American version since Chakushin Ari is my favorite Japanese horror and noticing how it loses its atmosphere and feel, not to mention the characters I've became attached to are gone. The rock music booming in the American version compared to the silent and low tone music playing in the original was not welcomed since it destroyed the atmosphere. Same thing goes both ways for me I don't like Japanese ports of most American movies and tv shows. I don't wanna see a Japanese remake of Predator, and Over There just to name two. While yes I am incredibly biased in my opinion of horror movies and for good reason I still give credit where credit is due. Chain saw massacre and SAW honestly would not hold a candle to Korean movies Someone Behind you or Muoi, these two movies has great story lines, great atmosphere and music. While Chain saw massacre entire scare tactic was coming at you with weapons when you least expect it they became almost too predictable. I'm not saying Japanese Horror is perfect either they have many shitty movies as well like Versus, and Machine Gun Girl to name two. To me its mostly about genre if its American I would be the first to pick up military, espionage, and Counter Terrorist type movies basically action, If its horror I would be first to check into Korean horrors and suspense, and Japanese horror, suspense and feudal war era time movies.

powerKid

Post by powerKid » Dec 15th, '08, 16:33

would they blame it on the iraqis again? xD

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 15th, '08, 16:34

powerKid wrote:I would like to see Sailor Moon! Not because it is good, but because it is the most stupid funny as hell crap **** I have ever seen. Imagine like Mandy Moore, Lindsey Lohan, Olsen Twins, Hillary Duff or somewhat young actress wearing a blue wig and a sailor uniform ^^ that would be entertaining for generations!

apart from that i am not sure about the hollywoodization of japanese series. the culture differences are too big. But Things like HYD should be possible, shouldn't they? Or Enka no Joo (someone becoming country musician) or Around 40. Team Batista no Eiko is quite easy as well. It's a hospital drama but a little different ^^

Thinking of Enka no Joo you could easily use a former celeb that is now struggling to get jobs for the leading role ^^
It's funny that you said that because a loooong time ago some group tried to make a live action/cartoon of Sailor Moon and uh... it was bad. If you look up "Saban Nightmare" or "Saban Moon" on google or youtube, you might find it... good thing it was not made. Now THAT was awful. I mean, Sailor Jupiter... in a wheelchair! No offense to people who really asre, it's just she's the most active Inner Senshi and she's in a wheelchair? And the fact that they made the cartoon part where she fights was really tacky. I'm a huge BSSM fan, and when some people complained about the JPN live-action, I actually thought it was good. (Well, good story and you get use to the costumes... but the monsters are another story.)

But yeah... you should totally check that out if you never heard about that. It made my day when I was feeling sad.

*edit*
But um... it would be interesting if they tried again. Just... it's gonna look like Power Rangers.

powerKid

Post by powerKid » Dec 16th, '08, 15:58

OMG saban moon! it's so ridiculous xD

but actually i loved bssm to! i got used to it and started to love it because it somehow was cute and totally different from normal dramas! but i think there is no person who could say it wasn't quite awkward!

Everyone watched the Dragonball Trailer? What a stupid movie is that going to be?!

colyn7

Post by colyn7 » Dec 16th, '08, 16:37

ahahhahaha

silencio

Post by silencio » Dec 17th, '08, 01:37

hmmm... i think i'll like DENSHA OTOKO redone by the US

Cast:
Aoyama Saori (Itoh Misaki) = Kate Beckinsale, Kate Bosworth, Anne Hathaway
Yamada (Itoh Atsushi) = ????? (any suggestion)
Yamada's sister = Hillary Duff
Yamada's father = Jack Black
Aoyama's Brother = Ashton Kutcher

Forum members = famous hollywood actors ( it ould also be interesting to see Kobe Bryant as a forum member hehehehe)

vhh

Post by vhh » Dec 17th, '08, 01:41

groink wrote:In short... I'm seeing some really negative stuff about American cinema and television in general. For those of you who are thinking along those lines, just get over it because it makes you sound like a Japanophile. And Japanophiles have absolutely no credibility in this community whatsoever. This level of criticism just shows the very low depth of your knowledge of entertainment on an academic level, and the urge to quickly criticize something that to this day is non-existent, in order to make you feel good about yourself and think you're being trendy and a part of the majority. Like criticizing the U.S. over politics, it is too easy to criticize Hollywood since it is a popular thing to do. This topic does not need this nonsense. This topic is simply one that basically asks as simple question. Stick to the discussion defined in the first post, and refrain from further criticisms.

--- groink
It's called allowing people to express their opinion which relates to the question at hand... And then you criticize others for having a opinion as to what pertains to the question. :lol you're rich, Groink. Maybe it's really you who has no credibility, since I don't care for what you have to say.

silencio

Post by silencio » Dec 17th, '08, 04:13

newrealmking wrote:Yama Onna Kabe Onna might work, not sure who would get casted though.
hmm, yep, this is feasible.... wonders who can be casted.

groink

Post by groink » Dec 17th, '08, 05:12

vhh wrote:It's called allowing people to express their opinion which relates to the question at hand... And then you criticize others for having a opinion as to what pertains to the question. :lol you're rich, Groink. Maybe it's really you who has no credibility, since I don't care for what you have to say.
So what are you going to do? Bad mouth the Republicans on every topic we have at D-Addicts? Or talk about the weather? Or give us tips on building a outside patio? That's what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with people expressing their opinion. It has everything to do with doing so IN CONTEXT. Again, this topic is not asking what you think about Japanese turned to American dramas. The topic is about what Japanese dramas would be good to turn to American dramas. To make a generalized statement such as "Don't even make the attempt!" - that's out of context. If you have zero dramas on your list, then it would be better not to post, than to post something we're not even asking your opinion about in this topic. S-hit for brains idiot if you can't comprehend the term "context."

--- groink

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Dec 17th, '08, 11:55

Looks like we have a flame war going on >.>

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Dec 17th, '08, 12:19

hahahahaha Saban Moon totally just made my day. Thank you!!

Hmm... I'd really like to see Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. The main character is just so awkward and socially unaware it's hilarious.

vhh

Post by vhh » Dec 17th, '08, 16:05

groink wrote: So what are you going to do? Bad mouth the Republicans on every topic we have at D-Addicts? Or talk about the weather? Or give us tips on building a outside patio? That's what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with people expressing their opinion. It has everything to do with doing so IN CONTEXT. Again, this topic is not asking what you think about Japanese turned to American dramas. The topic is about what Japanese dramas would be good to turn to American dramas. To make a generalized statement such as "Don't even make the attempt!" - that's out of context. If you have zero dramas on your list, then it would be better not to post, than to post something we're not even asking your opinion about in this topic. S-hit for brains idiot if you can't comprehend the term "context."

--- groink
What? The question was, what drama would you like to see Hollywood try to remake? I answered the question followed with my opinion as to why. My opinion is as how it pertains to Hollywood and my observation of how good their remakes are. And I've seen a number of remakes already.

You made a generalized comment, when you generalized your original response to the thread and not to me. And then you try and dictate what can and can't be said based on what you consider context. I bet you hate free-speech, huh? Man, you're really ridiculous. And you have no credibility with me, jfyi. I usually skip over your narrow-minded wannabe-expert opinions when I read these forums maybe once a month. Not to mention I recognize a forum bully when I see one. :lol

groink

Post by groink » Dec 17th, '08, 19:54

vhh wrote:You made a generalized comment, when you generalized your original response to the thread and not to me. And then you try and dictate what can and can't be said based on what you consider context. I bet you hate free-speech, huh? Man, you're really ridiculous. And you have no credibility with me, jfyi. I usually skip over your narrow-minded wannabe-expert opinions when I read these forums maybe once a month. Not to mention I recognize a forum bully when I see one. :lol
Calculating user profile....

- Student, and not working for a living.
- Japanophile, and general dislike for most things American when it conflicts with his japanophile views.
- Never participated or always failed at debates because he can't focus on the subject at-hand.
- Forms and conveys opinions based on what is popular, rather than actually forming an academic-level opinion (and again, within context of the subject at-hand.)
- Under the age of 22.

I'm much MUCH older than you, and have been on-line for over 30 years. I've run into literally thousands of runts like yourself. For you to respond to my original "japanophile" rant basically means you thought it was about you, which means you are indeed a japanophile. Most other people would've read it and ignored it because it did not pertain to them. But you responded - and with vigor at that. That action alone speaks volumes.

As for free speech, I have just as much of a "right" (although there is no "bill of rights of the Internet") to call you out as an idiot as you can be totally off-topic in a message board. Again, by you responding in such a matter, the action suggests that my points are accurate, ne'e?

Use the "Ignore" feature. That's your right as well.

BACK ON TOPIC....

Once again, the topic is what Japanese TV dramas you feel would work out somehow if a given show were to be turned into an American TV drama. We're looking for mentions of specific shows. This is not a "Will re-makes in general work?" topic.

--- groink

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Dec 17th, '08, 20:00

I think a drama such as Bambino would work very well in an American setting, and it would certainly be worth watching. And I would also like something in the line of Galileo — but Galileo is not very japanese, in fact…

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Dec 17th, '08, 20:17

Ouch crash and burn vhh ><

tkah

Post by tkah » Dec 17th, '08, 21:19

This is a tough question. I think Hollywood could remake any of the ones I have seen. I don't think it matters about Japanese or American cultures. Afterall isn't it just about entertainment? How about Long Love Letter. That might be interesting......

vhh

Post by vhh » Dec 17th, '08, 22:23

groink wrote: Calculating user profile....

- Student, and not working for a living.
- Japanophile, and general dislike for most things American when it conflicts with his japanophile views.
- Never participated or always failed at debates because he can't focus on the subject at-hand.
- Forms and conveys opinions based on what is popular, rather than actually forming an academic-level opinion (and again, within context of the subject at-hand.)
- Under the age of 22.
What are you, a robot? You're a defective one if you are. That's a pretty bad analysis, or just general bad assumption. But I think it's really you who is quick to fail at debates since you're so eager to control and dictate opinion.
I'm much MUCH older than you, and have been on-line for over 30 years. I've run into literally thousands of runts like yourself.
And you plainly don't have enough experience for simple respecting of other peoples opinions by resorting to your forum bullying. Maybe you've been on-line too long?
For you to respond to my original "japanophile" rant basically means you thought it was about you, which means you are indeed a japanophile. Most other people would've read it and ignored it because it did not pertain to them. But you responded - and with vigor at that. That action alone speaks volumes.
So in other words you were baiting me in with your generalized off-topic post? I see. Well, since you know so much about me... Oh, no you don't. You're ridiculous. :lol Most people read what you said and plain old ignored you, except me, who called you out on it.
As for free speech, I have just as much of a "right" (although there is no "bill of rights of the Internet") to call you out as an idiot as you can be totally off-topic in a message board. Again, by you responding in such a matter, the action suggests that my points are accurate, ne'e?
Yeah, I'm not debating whether you have the right to be a forum bully. You can do that all you want. Maybe you're just mad because I'm calling your BS? I don't believe I was off-topic. I was giving an answer to the question, and then as to why. You, however, were off-topic with your generalized all-points-bulletin.
Use the "Ignore" feature. That's your right as well.
I don't need to. Like I told you, I usually ignore most of what you have to say on anything, without using the button.
BACK ON TOPIC....

Once again, the topic is what Japanese TV dramas you feel would work out somehow if a given show were to be turned into an American TV drama. We're looking for mentions of specific shows. This is not a "Will re-makes in general work?" topic.

--- groink
Yeah, like people can't interpret the question already. Forum bully. :lol

tkah

Post by tkah » Dec 17th, '08, 23:05

You two need to get your own room. Why so angry?

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 17th, '08, 23:24

Well I agree with Groink on his opinion ( the first couple of post, but the last one was harsh and maybe he said things that weren't needed) but the argument is getting off-topic. And Vhh, honestly it wasn't necessary to answer "why/will a jdrama won't work as a US remake" if the original question was "what jdrama would work us a US remake." And if someone is getting on each other nerves, then just report it. Because it's just ruining it for the rest of us who are interested and have positive opinions to the question. I'm sorry Groink made you upset Vhh. Maybe it's how it came off and it could have been worded meanly? I dunno. But neither two don't have to post back a comment that is going to feed the argument, I guess just PM each other.

I just know it's annoying when people have to keep saying how bad something will be if America came to fiddle with it. I'm American and I have to deal with living in this place, and not everything[i/] here is bad. I'm not sure what you like Vhh, but if there was a thread you were seriously interested in, you wouldn't like it if someone posted a comment that was not answering the question and said the same thing that ten other people said about "it won't be a good idea" if no one is asking if it will be a good idea or not. Well all already know that probably 90% of the this forum don't want to see an Asian drama come over to the States. We don't need to here more of it if a person just simply ask the few people who would like to see a drama come over. I hoe what I said isn't mean or made anyone upset, but I'm not going to ignore that there's a public argument

Oh, I started watching "Oh! My Girl" and that could be remade...... but I don't think I would like Ann even more (she's one of those "too smart for her age but is too 'cute' Olivia and Michelle character) and grrr, they make me mad. But! I could see it being here in the states. But it would be a sit-com though.

silencio

Post by silencio » Dec 17th, '08, 23:50

it wouldnt be original, but Celeb to Binbo Taro might be a hilarous US remake!

i wonder if they can handle "Itoshi Kimi E"

vhh

Post by vhh » Dec 18th, '08, 01:40

tkah wrote:And Vhh, honestly it wasn't necessary to answer "why/will a jdrama won't work as a US remake" if the original question was "what jdrama would work us a US remake." And if someone is getting on each other nerves, then just report it. Because it's just ruining it for the rest of us who are interested and have positive opinions to the question. I'm sorry Groink made you upset Vhh. Maybe it's how it came off and it could have been worded meanly? I dunno. But neither two don't have to post back a comment that is going to feed the argument, I guess just PM each other.
I'm not upset at all. I've been laughing at Groink's forum bullying all day. :lol I admit I posted my original response to the thread on a whim, thinking I could just air an opinion, without any problems of course.

If I'm getting on Groink's nerves it's up to him to PM me in this case, really. If he hadn't posted his generalized off-topic criticisms about "posters" being "japanophiles" etc.., I may have ignored it. How do you know he wasn't talking about everyone in this thread? Baiting people with posts like that is ridiculous and I agree he should have PMed the person that got on his nerves. Otherwise, do what everyone else does: you don't have to respond to everything posted. Also don't think no one will call you on it if you post stuff like that.

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Dec 18th, '08, 02:12

I totally agree with every single post that Groink has written in this topic. Instead of people bashing on Hollywood (which really offends me but doesn't matter anyways because it's not about me :)) people need to STAY on topic. It doesn't ask if you think a j-drama will do well or if there should be, all it asks is what would you like to see. Yeah many of you (which is like 90% of the people in the forum) wouldn't want to see any drama being inspired or recreated in the U.S. but it would be nice for you to keep to yourself (but I'm not trying to stop anyone or anything since there are no such "rules" on the internet) and let some of us have fun with this topic. I wouldn't be surprise that 99% of those who hates American entertainment or the country itself lives/comes from the U.S. thus that's why you hate everything about U.S. so much (but I could be wrong).

As for me, another drama that would be interesting would be Innocent Love. Although some of the elements can be quite frightening for a U.S. drama, I think it could play out fine in like a 2 hour special on television or something. Hataraki Man can kind of be seen to be in the U.S. too but there's shows like these in the U.S. anyways.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 18th, '08, 02:26

Wow that's weird.... I said that but it said tkah hehe ^_^U Well, I guess maybe it was wrong choice of words. What I got from his comment was that the people who kept posting stuff that wasn't helping the topic should not post. But I really think we should go back on the topic, because I feel really sorry for the author of this thread. This person might feel that they started something ...controversial? Dunno if that's the right word, but I haven't seen the author of the thread post anything in a while, and I feel like we are disrespecting she/he. So let's just try to forget about it and maybe you guys can handle the disagreement in a PM.

Soooooooooo... wow, I was just trying to think of a drama that would be an adaption and glanced at my "Tramps Like Us" (Kimi wa Pet) and..... that would perfect! Just some cultural difference. But I can see this working as a US drama. I mean, gender issues are very global and there's still problems with independent working women here in the US. I actually hope they add in the two foreign co-workers... I guess make them Japanese since they were American in the manga ^_^U I dunno. But I can see this coming over here

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Dec 18th, '08, 12:45

tkah wrote:This is a tough question. I think Hollywood could remake any of the ones I have seen. I don't think it matters about Japanese or American cultures. Afterall isn't it just about entertainment? How about Long Love Letter. That might be interesting......
That's a good idea!! If they did though, I'd kinda hope they would change the ending. I dunno how you felt about it but I was super disappointed. The rest of the show was pretty interesting though.

Ryuuta

Post by Ryuuta » Dec 18th, '08, 14:42

I don't want any japanese series or movie as a hollywood remake because I don't like the most of the remakes
they lose a lot of its original contents/have nothing to do with the original anymore
I love asian movies, for me they are special and a lot better than ones form germany, america etc.
and for me the remakes hasn't this special thing....

it's the same with Dragonball now...
I will watch it but I don't really think I will like it
the only thing what I'm happy about is that Ayumi Hamasaki will sing the themesong

the ones who make the remakes should let it be how it is.....

here in germany a lot of films/series are like ones from other countries but I think american ones aren't better because they do a lot of Hollywood remakes of asian films...and that is one point I don't like because it is only a copy

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Dec 18th, '08, 15:04

Ryuuta wrote:
it's the same with Dragonball now...
I will watch it but I don't really think I will like it
the only thing what I'm happy about is that Ayumi Hamasaki will sing the themesong
i agree defitnetly, people are saying GOKU IS SAIYAN and doesnt look asian because of its big eyes. But all Anime Characters Have big eyese wether they japanese or not.

Also people who supports this movie are saying if Goku is asian then i wouldnt watch the movie. And then they call people who wants goku to be asian a racist because they dont like a white men playing him?

Okay dragonball takes place in a diffrent world, but as was LORD OF THE RINGS, and that movie was based on europian myhtoligies or at least it looked like it.

Dragonball was the same but to asian mythologies, and had a bit of modern things in it.
People would use the fact that most anime characters looks western because of the hair eyes such and such.
But honestly if you model anime characters after a standerd japanese person then people would go and say "all anime characters look the same" they just added color so what? doesnt mean their not japanese?
In dramas they are just japanese even in movies
And its not because they couldnt get a foreign man to play the character most defitnetly not. Since japan has a agency specialy for foreign people http://www.eclipsepro.jp/. and even if theres a character that could played by a foreigner just because of its looks Japan would still cast a japanese.

Face it guys any american who likes anime but imagine them as white people are ignorant.

Ryuuta

Post by Ryuuta » Dec 18th, '08, 15:29

@ Karate-ka
I can only agree

and the thing with anime you mentioned, you're right
for over many years I want to know why the americans change names, location names, phrases/sentences, make their own openings/endings, soundtrack and more.....
I mean...you can't change Tokyo to New York or something like that....that's very stupid...

I really really hate that because I want the original and not a changed and cut one
and here in germany a tv station takes some anime versions from america like Yugioh and Pokemon (here=> they made an onigiri to a sandwich.....stupid?)
and most of the fans of the series are angry because of that

and this is with the remakes, too

but nothing helps to change that
I lost all hope...really

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 18th, '08, 17:21

Ryuuta wrote:@ Karate-ka
I can only agree

for over many years I want to know why the americans change names, location names, phrases/sentences, make their own openings/endings, soundtrack and more.....
I mean...you can't change Tokyo to New York or something like that....that's very stupid...

I really really hate that because I want the original and not a changed and cut one
and here in germany a tv station takes some anime versions from america like Yugioh and Pokemon (here=> they made an onigiri to a sandwich.....stupid?)

I lost all hope...really
Now with Pokemon and YuGiOh, that's jsut hte particular company- 4Kids and kinda FUNimation and 4Kids changes EVERYTHING in an anime. Trust me, many people complained about the changes in anime, especially when it happened to Sailormoon. Actually, they have use to release the uncut version of YuGiOh. For anime, you really shouldn't change anything. If 4Kids want it so Americanized, then they should make their own version. They're wasting enough money just to edit it. But it's manly that company that sucks the joy out of anime. But I agree with you for the anime.

But with live action stuff however, I'm not sure if many people understand this, but everything gets change when a remake, or something base on the book is made. Regardless of where you are. Zettai Kareshi is the perfect example. The manga and drama are two completely different things. Even the targeted audience changed. And when it changed so much, I don't think people should see it as the same story, because it's not. I don't know why they change it like that, but action stuff gets changed a lot. And this isn't an anime. An anime is what they bring over here that was already made. It's only really a "remake" if people like 4Kids messes it up.

Live action stuff, well you can bring it over to the US or outside of Japan but of course they're not going to "change: the movie/show. If they bring it over subbed/dubbed it's just mainly target for the Asian/Japanese. I think if that's the case, then no one would ever do remakes, and really, we won't know many good movies/shows if it weren't for remakes. People have to remember that when these companies are making these adaptions, 1) The story idea is licensed, not the drama/movie, so the remakers could do whatever they want with the story to they see fit (which means they can cast any type of person) 2) Not all productions are just only after the money. Some directors may really love the story and want to interpret in their own way. 3) It's still a budget. If they remade a show exactly as the original then the only people who are mainly going to watch it are Asians/Fans of Asian shows since they already know what it is. But if that's the case why remake it if it's already exactly like the original (including cultural) They have to consider everyone who might watch the show, who is the target audience, so I think changes would be made from that. No one is going to spend money on what is guessed that very few people are going to watch it.

We can't get away from the changes from a remake, but I think what type of changes are made is probably what's most important. Do I kinda make sense? Like seriously? Not sure if my point went across there in those long paragraphs...

Grr, I still didn't like... explain myself like I really wanted.
@ that "Face it guys any american who likes anime but imagine them as white people are ignorant." comment I sooooo agreee. I saw a picture of a black guy cosplaying as Inu Yasha, and people posted comments on how "Inu Yasha isn't black" blah blah. But um, I have a feeling that they think it would be perfectly okay is someone who is white would be okay to cosplay as him. People can be whatever they like grr!

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Dec 18th, '08, 19:42

«minah» wrote:
Ryuuta wrote:@ Karate-ka
I can only agree

I lost all hope...really
Now with Pokemon and YuGiOh, that's jsut hte particular company- 4Kids and kinda FUNimation and 4Kids changes EVERYTHING in an anime. Trust me, many people complained about the changes in anime, especially when it happened to Sailormoon. Actually, they have use to release the uncut version of YuGiOh. For anime, you really shouldn't change anything. If 4Kids want it so Americanized, then they should make their own version. They're wasting enough money just to edit it. But it's manly that company that sucks the joy out of anime. But I agree with you for the anime.

But with live action stuff however, I'm not sure if many people understand this, but everything gets change when a remake, or something base on the book is made. Regardless of where you are. Zettai Kareshi is the perfect example. The manga and drama are two completely different things. Even the targeted audience changed. And when it changed so much, I don't think people should see it as the same story, because it's not. I don't know why they change it like that, but action stuff gets changed a lot. And this isn't an anime. An anime is what they bring over here that was already made. It's only really a "remake" if people like 4Kids messes it up.

Live action stuff, well you can bring it over to the US or outside of Japan but of course they're not going to "change: the movie/show. If they bring it over subbed/dubbed it's just mainly target for the Asian/Japanese. I think if that's the case, then no one would ever do remakes, and really, we won't know many good movies/shows if it weren't for remakes. People have to remember that when these companies are making these adaptions, 1) The story idea is licensed, not the drama/movie, so the remakers could do whatever they want with the story to they see fit (which means they can cast any type of person) 2) Not all productions are just only after the money. Some directors may really love the story and want to interpret in their own way. 3) It's still a budget. If they remade a show exactly as the original then the only people who are mainly going to watch it are Asians/Fans of Asian shows since they already know what it is. But if that's the case why remake it if it's already exactly like the original (including cultural) They have to consider everyone who might watch the show, who is the target audience, so I think changes would be made from that. No one is going to spend money on what is guessed that very few people are going to watch it.

We can't get away from the changes from a remake, but I think what type of changes are made is probably what's most important. Do I kinda make sense? Like seriously? Not sure if my point went across there in those long paragraphs...

Grr, I still didn't like... explain myself like I really wanted.
@ that "Face it guys any american who likes anime but imagine them as white people are ignorant." comment I sooooo agreee. I saw a picture of a black guy cosplaying as Inu Yasha, and people posted comments on how "Inu Yasha isn't black" blah blah. But um, I have a feeling that they think it would be perfectly okay is someone who is white would be okay to cosplay as him. People can be whatever they like grr!
Exactly and thats the problem, with people they like everything as long its white.And thats racism too. About remakes , adaptions realy if i was a director i too would change thins you know because its realy unpossible to be 100% true.
These movies shouldnt be made at all. and if they planing to make it then give asians a chance...

ABout GOKU... in the anime he was a martial artist and a Saiyan. But he was also potrayed as a warrior in a Japanese Gi...

Okay he wasnt potrayed(despit the tournaments)as a competitor martial artist but more like a warrior.

Justin Chatwin is white in a asian style clothing potraying a warrior?
He would look like a asian wanna be warrior... Do you get what i mean.

vhh

Post by vhh » Dec 18th, '08, 20:01

tsurashi313 wrote:I totally agree with every single post that Groink has written in this topic. Instead of people bashing on Hollywood (which really offends me but doesn't matter anyways because it's not about me :)) people need to STAY on topic. It doesn't ask if you think a j-drama will do well or if there should be, all it asks is what would you like to see. Yeah many of you (which is like 90% of the people in the forum) wouldn't want to see any drama being inspired or recreated in the U.S. but it would be nice for you to keep to yourself (but I'm not trying to stop anyone or anything since there are no such "rules" on the internet) and let some of us have fun with this topic. I wouldn't be surprise that 99% of those who hates American entertainment or the country itself lives/comes from the U.S. thus that's why you hate everything about U.S. so much (but I could be wrong).
Then you agree with Groink stance in trying to control opinion in this thread. However, I understand where you are coming from. If you are really offended with "bashing" Hollywood, which my post wasn't, as then I would need to go completly off-topic with a rant, but I'm not concerned about what frivolous topics you may be offended by, since I wasn't trying to offend anyone to begin with.

Bottom line, the question: What J-Drama would you like to see Hollywood try to remake?

My response: None. My simplified opinion: Because Hollywood would ruin it, was a valid reply to the question. Groink was the only one who actually deviated from the topic with his nonsense. But as I've understood, Groink, you, and maybe others, insist on the purity of the question and don't want to be "offended" critical responses which pertain to the question.

Now I'd like to go back to lurking if you'll let me, thx. :lol