Is it possible that the golden era dramas would come back?

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Is it possible that the golden era dramas would come back?

Post by Keiko1981 » Jan 4th, '09, 03:49

Is it possible that the golden era (1990's) dramas would make a comeback?
I was thinking if the financial crisis that's in the world today (or any other reasons, if so which ones?) could influence the development of dramas today.

bmwracer

Re: Is it possible that the golden era dramas would come bac

Post by bmwracer » Jan 4th, '09, 03:52

Keiko1981 wrote:Is it possible that the golden era (1990's) dramas would make a comeback?
Only if you ban JE boys or similar from being in any drama from now on. :lol

groink

Post by groink » Jan 4th, '09, 04:10

Interesting that you point out the financial crisis as a link to the golden era. And you're right! The bubble economy of the 1980s definitely had an effect on the style of writing that lasted for several years. In short, people in financial crisis makes for great storylines. Finances affect families, relationships, friendships...

The problem, however, is that today original drama writing is almost non-existent. For those of you who aren't aware of how dramas are written... Prior to the 2000s, just about all of the dramas were written specifically to become dramas. During that period, the TV networks would hold contests, and allow people to submit screenplays. Nojima Shinji is probably the most famous screenwriter during this period. There were some dramas that were based on novels, and only a tiny number based on manga.

But today, I'd say most of the prime-time shows are based on manga, or original writings written to be light-hearted. I think that even if you were to re-introduce these golden era screenplays, I think the damage to the audiences' expectations is irreversible. They now want rom-coms, or shows about school. The audience is much younger now. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, most of the storylines were more for the college and mature generations. And most of all, the idols continue to take the lead and supporting roles. I could not for the world see idols tackle lead roles in Hitotsu Yane, Itsuka Mata Aeru, Imoto yo, Virgin Road, or dozens of others that made the era golden.

So my vote would be a solid NO! In short, there are not that many really great artists that can do away with their idol status and play their roles right. I'd say that first we must wait for the geinokai to re-define the idols' place in the business, and to give more weight to accomplished artists that can be compared to Suzuki Honami, Eguchi Yosuke, Fukuyama Masaharu, Wakui Emi, among others. Have the producers stop making prime-time dramas into advertising billboards and re-define TV dramas. If Japan does this, then maybe there's a chance.

--- groink

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jan 4th, '09, 04:20

Thank you for the answer Groink.
All we can do is wait and see what the future holds.