The Snow Queen (KBS2, 2006) with Hyun Bin

Discuss Korean drama series here.
epi

Post by epi » Feb 5th, '07, 23:34

I haven't finished the drama yet, still at ep 7 now ... I'm kinda preparing myself for a bad ending just by reading the posts. Anyway I'm loving it so far. The romance between Yuri and Hyun Bin is kinda sweet and sad at the same time.

Is it just me or does anybody else think that the doctor is cute? I actually like the doctor character. He's funny, understanding, and very sweet. He looks so cute when he smiles ... There are several episodes where I am kinda hoping that Yuri will end up with him ... haha (OK don't kill me now ... I'm saying those are just fleeting moments).

But Hyun Bin's character is getting sweeter too as the story progresses. I think I like Hyun Bin best in this drama (compared to his characters in MNIKSS and Millionaire's First Love) ... quite, cool, and very intelligent. I think I like guys who love others quietly ... haha.

Anyway will continue to watch ...

orangeinsanity

Post by orangeinsanity » Feb 5th, '07, 23:52

epi wrote:I haven't finished the drama yet, still at ep 7 now ... I'm kinda preparing myself for a bad ending just by reading the posts. Anyway I'm loving it so far. The romance between Yuri and Hyun Bin is kinda sweet and sad at the same time.

Is it just me or does anybody else think that the doctor is cute? I actually like the doctor character. He's funny, understanding, and very sweet. He looks so cute when he smiles ... There are several episodes where I am kinda hoping that Yuri will end up with him ... haha (OK don't kill me now ... I'm saying those are just fleeting moments).

But Hyun Bin's character is getting sweeter too as the story progresses. I think I like Hyun Bin best in this drama (compared to his characters in MNIKSS and Millionaire's First Love) ... quite, cool, and very intelligent. I think I like guys who love others quietly ... haha.

Anyway will continue to watch ...
I thought the doctor was cute too, but I was too focused on Hyun Bin to pay too much attention to him. :wub: haha

Serentiy01
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Serentiy01 » Feb 6th, '07, 00:36

Moriya wrote:
vietbabi wrote: hyun is freakin hot!!!
so u like the broke/poor mushroom head style kinda guy huh

:crazy:
So looks and money are ALL THAT important when it comes to liking a person huh?? :crazy: :roll

epi

Post by epi » Feb 7th, '07, 01:14

Does anybody know where I can find the song played near the end of episode 8? It's sung by a female singer. I know someone posted the song at the website but I can't seem to download it from there ... Can anybody help plz plz??? Thank you ....

gotfryrice

the best!

Post by gotfryrice » Feb 7th, '07, 03:06

This has to be like the best drama yet!
I learned alot from this drama...with the lily of the valley flower, bach variation classical...etc. This drama will be in my heart as the best drama yet.
I read Andersen's tales because of this, and also the movie. Come to think of it, in the book, Kay and the Snow Queen didnt have a happy ending. Instead, he was with Gerda, where he embraced his reality cuz it's where he belong.
Also, with Duek-Gu, the real boxer who died, his opponent blames himself for Duek-Gu's death. Then there was the SamSung CEO's daughter who committed suicide because she could never be with her lover. Ahh...what a great drama. So heart-warming and very touching. This drama should be well-praised

I'm gonna be sad for a while now...lol

etsy

Post by etsy » Feb 7th, '07, 06:39

epi wrote:Does anybody know where I can find the song played near the end of episode 8? It's sung by a female singer. I know someone posted the song at the website but I can't seem to download it from there ... Can anybody help plz plz??? Thank you ....
theres a torrent for the whole soundtrack so you might be able to find it in there

epi

Post by epi » Feb 7th, '07, 15:03

etsy wrote:
epi wrote:Does anybody know where I can find the song played near the end of episode 8? It's sung by a female singer. I know someone posted the song at the website but I can't seem to download it from there ... Can anybody help plz plz??? Thank you ....
theres a torrent for the whole soundtrack so you might be able to find it in there
Yeah I already downloaded that OST, the song is not part of the OST ... sigh ...

blueshieldqueens

Post by blueshieldqueens » Feb 8th, '07, 04:45

I really love this series. It's so sad and so emotional. I love Sung Yu Ri and her acting in this drama 's so great :wub: :wub: . I just hope she will end up with the doctor :wub: :lol . But well as HB is a main lead so no supprise that she ends up with him. :-( :scratch: Hope to see Yu Ri more in many series :thumright: :thumleft: :cheers:

SunStar

Post by SunStar » Feb 8th, '07, 05:14

Hyun Bin has won my heart!!! i initially thought he was OKAY from "My Lovely Kim Sam-Soon", but him being in "Snow Queen" has totally won my love!!!

Sung Su Ri and Hyun Bin make an incredible couple... such sadness comes from them being together in this drama... i love it... although... i wished they would have had a little happier ending after the hard life they've gone through... I'M SO TIRED OF SEEING KOREAN DRAMAS HAVING LOVERS BEEN TORN APART BY SICKNESS AND DEATH!!!

blueshieldqueens

Post by blueshieldqueens » Feb 8th, '07, 23:20

LemonDrive wrote:It's the second time I've seen the female end up like that, and it frickin' HURTS!! X_X

I don't know about you guys but this kind of story lingers in my memory whenever I'm alone or sleeping...So I kind of feel sad every other time and then I ask myself "Why did I ever watch it?" but I'm grateful that I saw another great Drama. Although I remember it really sad.. *sigh*

btw, anyone watched A Moment to Remember? It's a movie where a carpenter(construction worker) meets a really rich president's daughter who have an inherited disease.. It really blows. T_T
I did , Mandy Moore. I like that movie too. Snow Queen is similar to it. That guy became successully after Mandy died too. Both movies are sad, but I root more for Snow Queen because of Sung Yu Ri :wub: :wub:

TyphoonBuzz

Post by TyphoonBuzz » Feb 8th, '07, 23:29

Yeah I already downloaded that OST, the song is not part of the OST ... sigh ...
i always use this site to download any type of asian OST.
http://asianosts.cjb.net/index.php?showtopic=5
register, head to the korean section of the osts, scroll down to the snow queen and download the Love Theme (OST 2). the second song by yeon should be the song you are mentioning from episode 8.

epi

Post by epi » Feb 9th, '07, 00:00

TyphoonBuzz wrote:
i always use this site to download any type of asian OST.
http://asianosts.cjb.net/index.php?showtopic=5
register, head to the korean section of the osts, scroll down to the snow queen and download the Love Theme (OST 2). the second song by yeon should be the song you are mentioning from episode 8.
Yep yep ... I found it from somewhere else actually but thanks a lot ... Anyone who wants the songs not found in the OST (there are 3 songs I think) but doesn't want to search for them, I can upload them for you ... just pm me if you want them ... Looks like they are bonus tracks, not sure why they aren't part of the torrent file ...

Thanks again for those who help me find the songs. I really really love these songs :)

StarDust

Post by StarDust » Feb 9th, '07, 02:13

She's the girl from "The Wedding," right? She kinda looks different now... (If I made a mistake... so sorry!!)

Anyway, from the comments, I think this series is really really good... so imma watch it hehe! :wub:

I love tear-jerkers! :lol

teody

Post by teody » Feb 9th, '07, 02:19

blueshieldqueens wrote:
LemonDrive wrote:It's the second time I've seen the female end up like that, and it frickin' HURTS!! X_X

I don't know about you guys but this kind of story lingers in my memory whenever I'm alone or sleeping...So I kind of feel sad every other time and then I ask myself "Why did I ever watch it?" but I'm grateful that I saw another great Drama. Although I remember it really sad.. *sigh*

btw, anyone watched A Moment to Remember? It's a movie where a carpenter(construction worker) meets a really rich president's daughter who have an inherited disease.. It really blows. T_T
I did , Mandy Moore. I like that movie too. Snow Queen is similar to it. That guy became successully after Mandy died too. Both movies are sad, but I root more for Snow Queen because of Sung Yu Ri :wub: :wub:
i think those are two very good but different movies. a walk to remember was with mandy moore and shayne west? i'm not sure. it was really good. i so particularly liked the guys effort to fulfill mandy's wish list. talk about really over the top romantic gestures like naming a star officially in her name. sad to say mandy dies of leukemia.

a moment to remember was with this guy from daisy (the movie) and the girl from my tutor friend. it was kinda sweet also. she has this early onset alzheimer's disease. so the title kinda fits because she has memory losses. it was kinda poignant when her guy had post its all over so that she won't forget. and when she was really sick, he recreated the scenario where they first meet. this really made me cry buckets.

howell, wherever this korean fascination with lover's and sickness comes, i'm not sure. but they're good dramas.well researched, quite believable. i love movies with this theme like a miillionaires first love, even japanese taiyo no uta is also good.
i've also watched stairway to heaven, and the autumn thing-series, where the female lead also dies of some disease.
any other suggestions?

blueshieldqueens

Post by blueshieldqueens » Feb 9th, '07, 03:22

teody wrote:
blueshieldqueens wrote:

i think those are two very good but different movies. a walk to remember was with mandy moore and shayne west? i'm not sure. it was really good. i so particularly liked the guys effort to fulfill mandy's wish list. talk about really over the top romantic gestures like naming a star officially in her name. sad to say mandy dies of leukemia.

a moment to remember was with this guy from daisy (the movie) and the girl from my tutor friend. it was kinda sweet also. she has this early onset alzheimer's disease. so the title kinda fits because she has memory losses. it was kinda poignant when her guy had post its all over so that she won't forget. and when she was really sick, he recreated the scenario where they first meet. this really made me cry buckets.

howell, wherever this korean fascination with lover's and sickness comes, i'm not sure. but they're good dramas.well researched, quite believable. i love movies with this theme like a miillionaires first love, even japanese taiyo no uta is also good.
i've also watched stairway to heaven, and the autumn thing-series, where the female lead also dies of some disease.
any other suggestions?
hahha My bad, sorry :P , yep A moment to remember starring Son Je Jin (not sure spelling right) .I watched that one too . Coz I saw LemonDrive's post I thought about A walk to remember right away.... maybe the storyline. The girls died b/c of caner and the guys became successfully after that .But Mandy 's character was more nicer than Bo Ra and Shane was like a player before meeting Mandy. :lol Actually I don't like Autumn thing series much except for Summer scent even people said it was bad. I don't like sad series , SQ just special b/c having SYR and I watch any series that have Sung in it. :wub: :wub:

CawaiiBoRa

Post by CawaiiBoRa » Feb 11th, '07, 06:16

First And Foremost, I would like to compliment Sung Yuri for being so "ichiban" in this drama despite all the criticsm when she was chosen as the female lead...and frankly,she did improved very much since Prince's First Love..so please support her to help improve more other than saying things like "there goes the potential in this drama"...Aza Aza Fighting!!

teody

Post by teody » Feb 11th, '07, 13:13

blueshieldqueens wrote:
teody wrote:
blueshieldqueens wrote: I did , Mandy Moore. I like that movie too. Snow Queen is similar to it. That guy became successully after Mandy died too. Both movies are sad, but I root more for Snow Queen because of Sung Yu Ri :wub: :wub:

any other suggestions?
hahha My bad, sorry :P , yep A moment to remember starring Son Je Jin (not sure spelling right) .I watched that one too . Coz I saw LemonDrive's post I thought about A walk to remember right away.... maybe the storyline. The girls died b/c of caner and the guys became successfully after that .But Mandy 's character was more nicer than Bo Ra and Shane was like a player before meeting Mandy. :lol Actually I don't like Autumn thing series much except for Summer scent even people said it was bad. I don't like sad series , SQ just special b/c having SYR and I watch any series that have Sung in it. :wub: :wub:
i'm not also into sad movies, however there are just some thngs you can't avoid. :) Shayne was the best reformed rake ever, that's why it was so romantic. Bo Ra was quite the ****, though I still have to complete the series. Haven't gotten to the better part yet or wherever she redeems herelf. Looking forward to it. Although its HB who primarily draws me to watch SQ. Isn't he the best Korean drama actor ever? I don't know how that small chinky eyes can convey so much sadness...

blueshieldqueens

Post by blueshieldqueens » Feb 11th, '07, 17:17

teody wrote:
i'm not also into sad movies, however there are just some thngs you can't avoid. :) Shayne was the best reformed rake ever, that's why it was so romantic. Bo Ra was quite the ****, though I still have to complete the series. Haven't gotten to the better part yet or wherever she redeems herelf. Looking forward to it. Although its HB who primarily draws me to watch SQ. Isn't he the best Korean drama actor ever? I don't know how that small chinky eyes can convey so much sadness...
Yeah .me too, I like to see comedy or action. But this one has Yu Ri, Hyun Bin, and the doctor (don't know his name but saw him in Love to Kill ), so it's a plus. :wub: :wub: I agree Bo ra was such a brat :P , but she had her sorrow and sadness and she changed after loving TW, like Shane :P . One thing I don't like about HB's character , he cried too much. Well sometimes you need to cry to relieve your hurt, but crying too much for a man made him weakly. Anyway I like both guys but I root more for the doctor and Bo Ra. :wub: :wub: I really enjoy this drama :thumright: :thumright:

teody

Post by teody » Feb 12th, '07, 13:54

blueshieldqueens wrote:
teody wrote:
Yeah .me too, I like to see comedy or action. But this one has Yu Ri, Hyun Bin, and the doctor (don't know his name but saw him in Love to Kill ), so it's a plus. :wub: :wub: I agree Bo ra was such a brat :P , but she had her sorrow and sadness and she changed after loving TW, like Shane :P . One thing I don't like about HB's character , he cried too much. Well sometimes you need to cry to relieve your hurt, but crying too much for a man made him weakly. Anyway I like both guys but I root more for the doctor and Bo Ra. :wub: :wub: I really enjoy this drama :thumright: :thumright:
come to think of it... HB is a cry baby with series. although he's so good that he gets away with it. i think few people can cry that much and still look manly (no gay overtones here). i have the series already though i've yet to watch it. from what i've seen the doctor's really good also. a bit of reverse pyschology is good. not too obvious. also, the attitude's quite realistic. he's so darn cute!

gummonster

Post by gummonster » Feb 13th, '07, 01:25

i just finished the series, and it was soooo sad. I really like SUNG YURI now, so pretty.

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Apr 26th, '07, 07:51

I'm currently on ep 14 right now. I'm kinda puzzled that many people don't like this show and say it's a typical k-drama. Aren't all k-dramas typical?! I think so; but I love them anyway. :D I mean that was the reason why I didn't get into this series in the first place but by ep 2 I was completely blown away. The story is really beautiful and everything falls in place so well. I mean it had a sad tone throughout but not so much to make the whole thing depressing like MISA *clears throat*. There was a good balance of happy and sad scenes. I admit to fastforwarding some parts, which is something I usually refrain from doing, but this series has been highly enjoyable none the less. It's so meaningful and it really melts my heart. :wub: I have a feeling I'm going to bawl after watching the ending. I don't cry that easily so we'll see. :sweat: I hope there is a DVD box set coming out for it. Anyways, I came in here to ask if anyone knows of a Korean drama lyrics site or know where I can get the translations or romanizations of the OST. Okie dokes, back to watching episode 14. :salut:

hikaru181262

Post by hikaru181262 » Jul 4th, '07, 08:10

Konichiwa! :goggle: :goggle: :wub:

Frightening comments here pertaining to Sung Yuri. Somehow I never really doubt her acting potential cos' I really like her in Prince's First Love. She is not too bad an actress to act opposite Hyun Bin. I know HB has become one hell of a popular actor after My Lovely Kim sam Soon but let's give HB another shot at fame with Snow Queen. I cannot deny that there is some chemistry between them in Snow Queen. Maybe not as strong as MLKSS cos the genre is different.

Could it because of the fact that Sung Yuri is being portrayed as a snobbish girl that she wouldn't allow even a guy to touch her unnecessarily even in moments when Bora and Han Te Gu are alone and greatly in love, that viewers fail to see the on-screen chemistry between them? I just think so.

So let's be more gracious in our perception of Sung Yuri and also give her a chance in SQ.

But I must say that I'm struck more by HB in Snow Queen rather than in MLKSS. I really love the great strory line, and I must admit that I cried quite a lot at certain episodes cos' I really feel for Han Te Gu in those moments where he has been suppressing his feelings for Bora. He wants to love her but cannot get himself to do so cos' he would not be on par with her standing somehow.

Please watch it! Bye!

orange_range88

Post by orange_range88 » Jul 13th, '07, 17:53

YuRi is a great actress I think!!
I love her in One Fine Day and Snow Queen!!
Why everybody dislike her??
Snow Queen is good...Hyun Bin just ok..But it takes two tango to make this drama goes well right??
Yu Ri and Hyun Bin make a great couple...No doubt Yu Ri is the best choice to lead this drama...

gula

Post by gula » Jul 20th, '07, 14:30

Wow was it shot in NZ? I want to return to Kiwi, I miss it.
Anyway on topic: what happened to the snow queen torrents? does anyone know? All of the sudden they're not there anymore....

roflmao

Post by roflmao » Aug 18th, '07, 16:42

this may seem dumb, but i cant find the link to download the series not just the subs
i cant download from clubbox or rapidshare or megaupload btw

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Aug 21st, '07, 12:49

I think they were removed because of licence :scratch:

well, I'm giving my comment to Snow Queen..but I only finished episode 6 now.. :lol

thanks hikaru for making me to start with Snow Queen anew :thumright: :lol
I read in another topic that there are a lot of people, who don't like Sung Yuri...what a pitty... I started to like her in Prince's first Love and I think she isn't that bad as an actress..well not the best but one of the better ones. And the part of Bo-Ra...perfect ^-^ cause for me her facial expressions fits the part of this snobbish girl the best *almost the same as in One fine day in the beginning, ne? *watched only til ep. 3 til now....**

As for Hyun Bin... I love his smile :wub: :wub: :wub: and he smiled often in Kim Sam-Soon... but I like more as an actor in Snow Queen.. seems to be more grown up *well, his part does the rest to think so though ^-^ *
He's gonna cry a lot? Mmmhh, Bi did the same in A Love to Kill :scratch: :D

And I can't go before compare these to dramas... they're quit similar,ne?

exge

Post by exge » Aug 21st, '07, 17:33

its ok, i found a new source lol
also has alot of other dramas which i will download if i can even get anything from megaupload

http://idols-unlimited.com/the-snow-queen

btw : i am roflmao ... i created him when i 4got my password

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 23rd, '07, 22:14

I read in another topic that there are a lot of people, who don't like Sung Yuri...what a pitty... I started to like her in Prince's first Love and I think she isn't that bad as an actress..well not the best but one of the better ones.
Yeah, in a writer/producer poll evaluating singers-turned-actors at end of 2006, Sung Yuri was voted the worst actress, beating out ex-Finkl mate Lee Hyori. Worse than Hyori? Now that's just cold. ;) Rain and Jeong Ryu-Won of KSS ranked were voted best actors/actress respectively.

Criticisms of her acting has followed her pretty much her entire career. The netizen community apparently has been harsh to her, and I think it hurt her. Korean celebrities tend to be vulnerable with their fans in a way American celebs aren't. She's not a great actress, and perhaps playing off studs like Hyun Bin, Gong Yoo, Kim Nam Jin, and So Ji Sup, hasn't endeared her with the female community. But, she's watchable and still has that adorable shtick down. And with the Snow Queen, she delivered a good performance and put her heart into playing a mean, almost vicious human being.

The Snow Queen was written and produced by the same company of the Endless Love/Seasonal Dramas, with of course the MiSa director taking over filmmaking duties. Originally, Sung Yuri and Joong Ji-Hoon were projected to star opposite each other in the Spring Waltz seasonal drama. However, Sung Yuri's management couldn't work out the details with the production company, and Goong's extended run pulled JJH out of the project. While watching Spring Waltz with that knowledge, it was really obvious to me that the script was written with those two actors in mind.

My hunch is that Sung Yuri signed onto Snow Queen probably due to her agency making good with the production company. Had she done Spring Waltz, there may have been no Snow Queen, or that the Snow Queen would have been cast differently.
And I can't go before compare these to dramas... they're quit similar,ne?
For all intents and purposes, The Snow Queen was the "5th Endless Love" drama and something of a closing door to an era of tear-jerker melodramas, which itself was only prolonged by the pan-Asian success of Hallyu. There was no season attached attached to the Snow Queen (though fall colours i.e. Autumn Tale, prevailed), but the original story was written around the motifs of the Snow Queene fairy tale.

I loved Yoon's seasonal dramas. I know that a lot of people view the storylines as formulaic, sappy, and often silly -- and they are. But outside of the formula, I prefer the glacial pacing and elegaic tone of these stories. The emphasis on extended family and friendships dynamics and lengthy, informal dialogue. The way the music and the eye candy quietly seeps into the work. And, above all, the stories really embrace the melodrama form and sacrifices realism for the sake of symbolic characters, while at the same time grounding interaction in daily life.

The Snow Queen works on that level, and then puts a unique twist in the melodrama. In this story, the main female character is mean, nasty, and even vicious human being, not merely from circumstances but an innate nature. She was born a ****. In contrast, the male character, the prodigal son, lives like a suffering saint.

The Snow Queen ends up being a role reversal of the classic melodrama. In this story, the hero is not the guy, but the girl. And she is effectively the anti-hero, as arrogant and flawed, fearless and passionate as a classic male protogonist. A person whose vicious heart is turned warm and good by the "saintly" soul, and then realizes that the saint himself is the one who's truly trapped, the one who's truly beset by demons. Hyun Bin essentially plays the captive, fallen, "passive" female role. The one who waits patiently, who seems so deeply affected by the love around him.

This changes the meaning of the story. It doesn't become how love enables them to forgive each other or to recognize their destiny together. That is the usual female fantasy with melodrama. Instead, it becomes about whether she can save him, about how fiercely and steadfastly she must love to unravel the buried past and right the people around her. It's about how far she must go, emotionally and spiritually, in order to save him before it's too late. The Snow Queen and Gerda are one.

The sensibility is Christian. If she must become his martyr to absolve his sins, she must. And in return, in her own angry soul, she can have grace. But, in the meantime, she howls at the walls around her, at her own limitations, screaming out epithets of loving this man, not to seek his love, but to make her own love break through the ice and warm his frozen soul.

I know this conceit didn't work for a lot of people -- we're expecting men and women to be a certain way in these shows, and see it as bad writing if they don't. But the Snow Queen really took on a fable-ish/"adult" fairy tale through the 2nd half of the drama, to a degree, that I hadn't seen since Autumn Tale.

Kumaxell
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kumaxell » Aug 24th, '07, 14:19

I don't know why I kept crying when watching this show. I haven't cried this much since 1 Litre of Tears and Butterfly Lovers.
I'm a little reluctant finishing this show. So far it's good. But if the second half becomes a standardized melodramatic K show, I might smash the TV.

belleza, did you write reviews for other shows, too? I love your Snow Queen review.

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 24th, '07, 21:33

But if the second half becomes a standardized melodramatic K show, I might smash the TV.
Uhm, that TV doesn't cost very much, right? ;)

I found the ending satisfying and even uplifting. I'm not sure, though, whether other people felt the same way.
I haven't cried this much since 1 Litre of Tears and Butterfly Lovers.
I think the difference between Japanese and Korean tearjerkers is that the former emphasizes the helplessness people really are against fate, whereas the latter reiterates familial bonds. What killed me with Autumn Tale are the scenes between the child and mothers. Rare Korean exception for me was MiSa -- the romance is so authentic/intense that it made me cry just by the way he smiled at her, knowing full well the basic hopelessness of their situation. And the Japanese exception for me is the movie version of Ima Ai/Be With You, which is a kind of impassioned thank you to young motherhood/wifehood rather than "pure love." And of course 1 Litre.

Snow Queen works in more familiar territory. Most of the sadness is derived from the bonds of friendship, really surrogate brotherhood, and the strain of the parent-child relationship. And there's just enough fairy tale -- true to the Endless Love style -- so that things seem to take on a more symbolic, again "Christian" perspective as the series closes out.

I really liked Hyun Bin in this show. His acting style in general, especially the way in which he delivers his lines in a kind of "waves of the sea" cadence, conveys both deep inward pride and self-absorption. That may not sound flattering, but I mean it as a compliment. He brings out internality into his performances, whether he's a spoiled brat a la his characters in KSS or Millionaire, a confused young husband in Ireland, or here a tortured, self-loathing genius type.

However his character here is gentle and saintly, that very gentleness makes his heart further unreachable by most people, because it's deeply sucking off his self-absorption. Bo Ra senses this and so she cannot take his kindness by face value. I really, really enjoyed Hyun Bin in this role. It's not a original role, but it was nevertheless enjoyable watching an actor playing someone so adolescently, so effeminately conflicted with himself. Yes, most Korean actors cry on the spot, but Hyun Bin is distinctively emo, which is again meant as a compliment. Hamlet was emo too. I would have loved to see an actress like the brilliant Kim Min Jung play the part of Bo Ra; her face comes prepackaged with a smirk, and they played off each other well in Ireland.

ahtoot89

Wow!

Post by ahtoot89 » Aug 28th, '07, 11:35

Oh man! i just finished this series about 1 week ago and it still lingers so freshly in my mind! I happened to catch the first episode when i was strolling in a shopping centre which has cable TV preview!(it's currently on air now). I was totally sitting at the edge of my seat when Sung Yu RI was saved by Tae Woong/Duek Gu in time!
Normally i do not really like Korean drama that much because the plots are just about the same (This guy loves her but she doesn't or This guy loves her and the girl loves him but cannot be in love because of parents friends and blah blah obstacles)
I happen to like Sung Yu Ri a lot when i saw her starred in the "Love for a Thousand Years". The way she acted in SQ was just stunning too! Even better than "Love for a Thousand Years" ! I just love the chemistry between the 2 main actors and they just look so compatible!(No offence to female fans of the male lead...) Although the plot was quite sad in the sense that Sung Yu RI died in the end, the ending was extremely satisfying unlike other drama's ending which is neither conclusive nor appropriate.
I felt so reluctant to leave my sofa when i saw the ending. How i wish that there would be a happy ending and the episodes could be more because i just could not get enough of Yu Ri acting! Nevertheless, this is one of the best drama i've watched and i would give it 5 out of 5!! ( i seldom cry when watching dramas but i think i've cried at least 5 times? Couldn't count the rest...that's what really makes this drama and the actors a thumbs-up because it can pull the spectators into the story itself and feel what the actors are feeling )

SNOW QUEEN ROCKS! SUNG YU RI ROCKS! WON BIN ROCKS!

Sung Yu Ri!! If you can see this, GOOD JOB and i hope to see more of you!!! Dun care what others say!!! I LOVE YOU!!! ABSOLUTELY ENJOYED THIS SERIES!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

physics223

Post by physics223 » Sep 1st, '07, 12:56

If the lead was Han Ye Seul instead ... *sigh*

Han Ye Seul is SO awesome ... instead of this Sung Yu Ri.

snowprince

Post by snowprince » Sep 1st, '07, 22:32

if anyone has a good mv of the snow queen with the opening intro song please link me, and i will love you forever.

Have looked on youtube, its inconcievable there isn't one with the main song!

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Re: Wow!

Post by mizune » Sep 2nd, '07, 06:21

ahtoot89 wrote: SNOW QUEEN ROCKS! SUNG YU RI ROCKS! WON BIN ROCKS!
... isn't that supposed to be HYUN Bin? :whistling:
Sorry, just couldn't help but notice that... :mrgreen:
:fear:

ahtoot89

Opps

Post by ahtoot89 » Sep 7th, '07, 02:43

ahaha kinda mixed up Hyun Bin and Won Bin. Bleargh.... Yar anyway they both rocks! Wee!!

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Sep 7th, '07, 15:59

So... finished....love it... gonna watch it again for sure :cheers: :cheers: :lol

I really like the theme with the Snow Queen and his genuis type... Yu Ri's part was something like "not a rich brat again"-girl but this thinking changed pretty quick after the first episodes.
It wasn't that draggy to the end like 'A Love to Kill' *the tune of the two dramas i pretty similar I think...two diffrent characters from diffrent 'classes', someone, who cause a problem for them to be together and of course the ending*

I was pretty sad and teary after finishing it, but really satisfied..I mean, it's better than a happy ending for me... and what this ending makes memorable for me was his last sentence...
I mean, you know that he's missing her..you can read it on his face... but finally someone -from all these dramas- said it out loud
... don't know why...but I love this scene...

and the happiest time for me watching Snow Queen I had for sure with episode 14 :lol god, it was good that I was home alone...probably smiled silly all through the 14th ep. ^--^....and then the ending.... :crazy:

dethos

Post by dethos » Sep 8th, '07, 06:57

i like the ending too , not too sad but i hope and dream that he starts a new relashionship with the female doctor ,i don't remmber her name, his schoolmate :roll she's cute and nice to him

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Sep 9th, '07, 21:05

yeah, the ending makes me wishing him a new start... even with a lost love like Bo-Ra. life goes on, no matter what come...
perhaps a new start with the female doctor, yes ^-^
Haha, I was so happy throughout the drama, that she didn't have to start such a triangle-love/hate-situation.... even if she loved him, she was .. I would say so far grown up not to act like all the other female parts in other dramas.
Ah, but I think there was only friendship between her and HB.
I felt relieved, when I realised she has 'good' character... more supporting than destroying.

teemu8

Post by teemu8 » Sep 10th, '07, 16:16

i really like the doctoress too , she really loves the hero since the highschool ,and she said that he was her first love , why she didn't tell him the truth :P :w00t:

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Sep 10th, '07, 16:47

You mean she really loves HB? I thought she was in love with Bo-Ra's brother and the feelings for HB were just friendship :scratch: Ah, not easy to say I think...she only appeared frequently :-)

teemu8

Post by teemu8 » Sep 10th, '07, 17:03

i'm confused too about her but i don't remember tthat she was in love with the brother ,just old friends
and she helped HB about the math essay's cheat to find the truth
:lol

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Sep 10th, '07, 17:58

well, she didn't show any further feelings to both of them I think :scratch: But, yes.. you're right with the math sheets...
haha didn't liked her at all in the first episode, but later on I thought she's quiet nice :lol

nets

Post by nets » Oct 1st, '07, 15:16

Hi friends,
After reading so much on here, cant stop myself from sharing as well:
I'm a guy and this is one k-drama which prompted tears in my eyes, at nearly the end of the esp 16... when they were at the beach and Bora was saying that "she's sorry that she cannot keep her promise, to keep Taixiong accompany...." :cry:

Really love this show!!

kimmy12

Post by kimmy12 » Oct 8th, '07, 13:17

well..i think sung yu ri wasn't that bad in acting. from this drama..i can see that she's improved a lot than her previous drama. i like her even more from this drama..

Cabb

Post by Cabb » Oct 10th, '07, 15:03

I love this kdrama!
Hyun bin en Sung yu ri were great i think only flaw was that doctor, he looked really young and not really too realistic for his role. But man this was so sadd :cry:

hana~jk

SNOW QUEEN..

Post by hana~jk » Oct 25th, '07, 18:24

Love this drama so much... hyun bin and sung yuri hv a really great chemistry... I was totally fell in love with hyun bin in this drama... his appearence, his character... really affected me... same as yu ri.. although not a happy ending but i'm vr satisfied with it... (though I would vr happy if it was a happy one =)) however.... I would say that there were both a happy and sad ending.. the happy one was tae woong didnt give up his study after bora died and I'm very happy with what tae woong had achieved in the end...... and of course the sad part was bora died and left tae woong alone... sob.. sob... the scene whn tae woong said he miss bora a lot really touched me.... sob..sob..perhaps I miss both of them too... huhuhuhu...

hana~jk

Post by hana~jk » Oct 25th, '07, 19:09

oh ya... i just forgot one more thing.. =).. the male doctor (Im Ju Hwan) was also vr good... love his cuteness.. he acted vr well and the doctor role really suit him.... Afterall this drama was one of the best drama I've ever seen...It's actually hard for me to fall for someone after watching the drama... after a bunch of series that i watched, this is the third time I really crazy about the actor & actress... that is hyun bin and sung yu ri....

bent

Post by bent » Nov 6th, '07, 16:40

what were the ratings in Korea like for this show?

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 6th, '07, 19:14

Snow Queen was/is more popular overseas than in Korea. Ratings were pretty bad, mostly <10.

1) It was playing opposite Jumong. I think the only competing show that did respectably in that time slot was Vineyard Man.

2) Tearjerker melodramas haven't been that popular since 2005. Also Snow Queen's style is similar to the seasonal dramas, and the last 2 seasonal dramas -- Summer Scent and Spring Waltz -- were spectacular flops.

3) Bo Ra's **** queen alienated most of the audience, and it helped influence Sung Yu Ri ranking as the worst singer-turned-actress in recent polls. (Though, again, a lot of female viewers just don't like Sung Yu Ri . . ) I think a lot of Korean viewers were rooting for her to die . . . :D

LUNCHBOX

Post by LUNCHBOX » Nov 7th, '07, 07:19

Its hard to see Hyun Bin in a serious drama when he constantly reminds me of mister cool guy from MNIKSS( still my favorite kdrama to this day)
Hes just an AMAZING actor, one of the best....
he did really well in this Drama and made me Teary...Seriously....

pist

Post by pist » Nov 8th, '07, 12:14

lol i loved this drama but i think it was becuase im pretty new to the drama scene, the ratings werent soo good in korea probably because of Sung yu ri but yea chemistry between the two was good....too bad they chose sung yu ri as the lead if it wasnt for her im pretty sure snow queen would have done great. XD

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 11th, '07, 02:36

.too bad they chose sung yu ri as the lead if it wasnt for her im pretty sure snow queen would have done great
I think people were surprised that it was doing that poorly since Hyun Bin was coming off both Sam Soon and Millionaire's First Love. But, it was again scheduled opposite Jumong, and tearjerkers/pure love melodramas were way, way out of fashion. In fact, Snow Queen's relative failure probably put the nail in the coffin of the genre.

With that said, Snow Queen drew pretty high internet buzz (i.e. mania drama) and it's popular overseas. And I think it's Sung Yu Ri's best, if least sympathetic, performance.

harharpan

Post by harharpan » Feb 20th, '08, 18:28

I think it was a pretty good drama. It had its rough parts, overall it was worth watching in my opinion.

saby

Post by saby » Feb 20th, '08, 18:31

after watching MY lovely Sam Soon (this one n goong are my fav korean dramas) where HYUN BIN was just OMG (after watching it he is my favourite korean actor :wub: ) I wanted to watch Snow Queen but I Heard it was a sad ending soo all I said was : NO thanks
I luff HYUN BIN but I cant stand dramas with sad endings anymore.. Ive seen far too many

cute_angel

Post by cute_angel » Mar 8th, '08, 05:32

This drama was so sad but it's great.

Hyun Bin & Sung Yu ri have a great chemistry.

macross

Post by macross » Mar 9th, '08, 01:04

I loved this drama too. How didn't she know his name though when they were little. Didn't he have a name tag on his uniform?

dethos

Post by dethos » Mar 25th, '08, 10:46

do you know who is the singer and where i can this song ,you can hear this song in the ep 15 when sung yuri is in the bed ( 53 min ) at the end of the ep

i cant find this song in the ost , thanks for your help :salut:

benchmarkjoe

Post by benchmarkjoe » Mar 29th, '08, 00:29

I joined d-addicts late last year, so I download and watch oher web-site and now I still love this drama, even it was sad story. Does anyone know where can I down load better version than ental? Club-box ...
Thanks in advance.

anamcara

Post by anamcara » Oct 26th, '08, 09:42

I am quite late and this thread has been quiet for a long time but only now I managed to watch this drama. And it was such a pleasure - a painful one but nevertheless a huge pleasure. I am sure it will keep lingering in my head for a long time.

I read the comments here on the show and actors with great interest. I am quite new to Kdrama and only starting to appreciate them while I usually watch Jdrama which are totally different to me. I am still stunned by Hyun Bin's perfomance. Usually one has to decide between total eye candy or good acting but with him I was getting it all in one! :D

One thing keeps bugging me though it is only a very small thing: Why did Han Tae Woon go to New Zealand? I was expecting him to go to Lapland but there were these huge signs - Christchurch and obviously not a Swedish or Finnish surrounding. Why was that? Did I miss something or was this just the producers effort to make us believe this WAS Lapland?

kdrama.queen

Tearjerker but HAPPY/GOOD ending

Post by kdrama.queen » Feb 9th, '09, 08:46

To all K drama fans out there... ... please, please, please recommend tearjerker/sob/touching/romantic stories that have a good closure or 'happily ever after' ending... like Beautiful Days... Wedding... Golden Bride...

Thanks a million! :roll