What J-Drama would you like to see Hollywood try to remake?

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 18th, '08, 20:32

vhh wrote:
tsurashi313 wrote:I totally agree with every single post that Groink has written in this topic. Instead of people bashing on Hollywood (which really offends me but doesn't matter anyways because it's not about me :)) people need to STAY on topic. It doesn't ask if you think a j-drama will do well or if there should be, all it asks is what would you like to see. Yeah many of you (which is like 90% of the people in the forum) wouldn't want to see any drama being inspired or recreated in the U.S. but it would be nice for you to keep to yourself (but I'm not trying to stop anyone or anything since there are no such "rules" on the internet) and let some of us have fun with this topic. I wouldn't be surprise that 99% of those who hates American entertainment or the country itself lives/comes from the U.S. thus that's why you hate everything about U.S. so much (but I could be wrong).
Then you agree with Groink stance in trying to control opinion in this thread. However, I understand where you are coming from. If you are really offended with "bashing" Hollywood, which my post wasn't, as then I would need to go completly off-topic with a rant, but I'm not concerned about what frivolous topics you may be offended by, since I wasn't trying to offend anyone to begin with.

Bottom line, the question: What J-Drama would you like to see Hollywood try to remake?

My response: None. My simplified opinion: Because Hollywood would ruin it, was a valid reply to the question. Groink was the only one who actually deviated from the topic with his nonsense. But as I've understood, Groink, you, and maybe others, insist on the purity of the question and don't want to be "offended" critical responses which pertain to the question.

Now I'd like to go back to lurking if you'll let me, thx. :lol

Well, I guess it's my fault for seeing it as you're also bashing Hollywood. I guess many people say it all the time and I really don't like bashing in general. People get really mean with it (not saying you, just people who take it too far) sorry ^_^UU

Actually I was a bit upset that he was white (since I see Goku as being Japanese since he's raised by Japanese), but when hearing other people saying Goku is a Saiyan and not human, well... he could really be in race, skin color (well.... maybe not too dark since he's obviously isn't) since well.. he isn't human! But the guy could be a bit buffer...

Oh yeah I was thinking about NANA being here in the US and actually using two Japanese girls both being Nana (they like say that nana means seven in the movie/show) I think people can relate to Nana. (But I still think Mika looks absolute gorgeous when she was Nana... I wonder who can top that) I'm soo mad I can't think of actors and actresses.. I don't watch many shows on TV. Movie star people don't go back to TV shows unless they're like old or they make a sitcom. And the only drama-ish show I watch is Degrassi which is Canadian.... so... maybe Nana can go to Canada! I dunnoo.

But I think some newcomer actress should play Nana only because to like... give her a chance to be big ^_^ And she would actually kinda follow her character too I have no idea what hot guy would be Shin......... Oh yeah... I don't see any American characters with lip rings and a chain attached in shows.. I wonder who would want to do that?[/spoiler]

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Dec 18th, '08, 20:51

Karate-ka wrote:These movies shouldnt be made at all. and if they planing to make it then give asians a chance...
But... you are forgetting Hollywood is racist. Asians are very similar to the token black guy in most American films. They are the token Asian.

Asian Americans don't get lead roles in big Hollywood movies. It's stupid but true. Hell, I'd rather see Asian Americans getting good roles in original American movies before importing or adapting Asian movies. Can anyone name 5 American movies with the lead being Asian? And if you can do that... name 2 that were famous blockbusters that made craploads of money. You can't. They don't exist. I think Harold and Kumar was the only one of note and that didn't even make that much money. Not to mention it was the only lead those guys EVER had. Since that movie they are back to bit parts.

Even movies where the story would probably make more sense if they were the Asian race they should be... it never happens. Case a point, the monstrosity that was D-Wars. It was a Korean legend about the reincarnations of two Korean people... only they were both magically reincarnated as white people in the same American city. I can buy the concept that you may reincarnate as a different race, souls aren't discriminatory and it would make an interesting plot twist. But the movie felt so forced to make them white that it was obvious it wasn't part of the story that they were reincarnated white but done to deliberately cast non-Asians. Heck, I don't even think the female lead could have pointed to Korea on a map.

Why this fails is... they try to embrace a culture by using their very culture based legend, but they removed everything about the culture they could. It makes the characters completely disconnected from who they are supposed to be and leads to bad acting and uncomfortable story telling. You can not tell the audience directly, this is a Korean legend, these people used to be Korean... but now they aren't so forget about Korea now please. It doesn't work.

Binbo Otoko

Post by Binbo Otoko » Dec 18th, '08, 21:10

Well,this is a can of worms. I agree with the majority on all bases. Buuuut if I could choose a show,I think Densha Otoko could be pulled off with minor damage to the storyline. That is a hopeful request though. Anyway,there..a choice.

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Dec 19th, '08, 07:05

Binbo Otoko wrote:Well,this is a can of worms. I agree with the majority on all bases. Buuuut if I could choose a show,I think Densha Otoko could be pulled off with minor damage to the storyline. That is a hopeful request though. Anyway,there..a choice.
That would be racist too densha otoko is based on a true story..

Zirconium

Post by Zirconium » Jan 1st, '09, 05:26

some people here thought that galileo would make a great hollywood series.

i can't help but think that eleventh hour is about as close as you can get to it. and mentalist to a bit lesser extent.

colyn7

Post by colyn7 » Jan 6th, '09, 17:11

do we have a debate here??? hehehhe...

i guess Densha Otoko can pull it off also.. hehehhe...

SOGBA

Post by SOGBA » Jan 6th, '09, 17:28

I think the west needs to leave asian dramas and movies alone to be quite honest
once re-made its never the same i recon :unsure: i guess mostly due to cutural difference once translated into hollywood it is never the same if that makes sence

bots

Post by bots » Jan 8th, '09, 01:47

Regardless of how I feel about remakes, especially those crossing cultural barriers, I will take this as a "what if" question.

If I were a North American producer who had to produce a North American version of a Japanese drama, these would be my choices (in no specific order):

Kurosagi: I like the idea of a swindeler swindeling swindelers. Try saying that 3 times fast. =O
Last Friends: DV and sexual identity would be great topics for a drama.
Hotelier: I really don't see any big cultural differences here.
Daisuki!
Stand up!!: I was reminded of American Pie when I watched this... xD
LIFE

Some difficult ones would be...

Haruka 17: It would be pretty interesting to adapt it to Western Culture. I guess it would be Princess Diaries-ish without the princess part?
Nobuta Wo Produce:The only reason I see this as being hard is because of all the gestures that give this drama character. Ex/ "Bicycle Bye Bicycle"
Zettai Kareshi

If I had to pick, I would pick Kurosagi. I guess it would kinda be like Matchstick Men and Ocean's 11 put together.

As for actors/actresses, I really don't know... I never really watch North American programs except for CSI: LV and CSI: NY.

br4nd0n

Post by br4nd0n » Jan 8th, '09, 01:59

I don't want any remakes from anyone.
They are usually bad, though there are some exceptions......... that I can't think of right now.

ayaseharukaftw

Post by ayaseharukaftw » Jan 8th, '09, 02:19

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, just need to omit the idea of arranged marriages.

SithSylar

Post by SithSylar » Feb 12th, '09, 04:40

I just finished Maou and i would think it would make the best remake in the USA but who knows really!!! My favourite J Drama now hehe

Dslash

Post by Dslash » Feb 12th, '09, 05:09

I don't want Hollywood to mess up any of my J-Dramas. They already messed up all of the Asian movies that they remade, why would I allow them to mess up J-Dramas too?

michca

Post by michca » Feb 12th, '09, 05:09

None. All Hollywood remakes are bollocks...regardless of what country they are from. I'm still sneering over their remake of the Ring and the Eye. Oi.

SithSylar

Post by SithSylar » Feb 12th, '09, 05:11

Dslash wrote:I don't want Hollywood to mess up any of my J-Dramas. They already messed up all of the Asian movies that they remade, why would I allow them to mess up J-Dramas too?
Yeah thats very very true but when you really enjoy the story line like Maou i really want more if that makes sense. Mind you i would be pissed if they did stuff up the j drama....

Dslash

Post by Dslash » Feb 12th, '09, 05:21

I just cant take the chance and have them mess up dramas like GTO, Beautiful Life or GOD FOR BID Hana Yori Dango

ssih

Post by ssih » Feb 14th, '09, 20:20

A lot of people have criticized Hollywood's work in this thread. A lot of others have gone to Hollywood's defense, so I'm not going to bother getting into that argument.

Although Hollywood does put out a good amount of crap, it produces a LOT of stuff, and everything can't be a winner. Re-creating another country's show is difficult at best. Everyone who's seen the original is going to hate the remake. It's like hearing another band cover your favorite band's hit song.

That said, here's what I'd like to see...

Get one of the major non-broadcast networks (HBO, Showtime, FX, etc.) to pony up the cash and hire a Japanese drama company to come over here and shoot an original JDrama. Bring Japanese actors that are moderately fluent in English and have the language be a mixture of Japanese and English, depending on the situation. Give the Japanese crew absolute control over the content and allow the writers to maintain the eastern culture and storyline, but let the story be set in America.

One other thing... Horikita Maki has to star in it. :D :D

OnlyWish

Post by OnlyWish » Feb 14th, '09, 20:43

definitely none!
all remakes are bad

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Feb 14th, '09, 20:46

ssih wrote:A lot of people have criticized Hollywood's work in this thread. A lot of others have gone to Hollywood's defense, so I'm not going to bother getting into that argument.

Although Hollywood does put out a good amount of crap, it produces a LOT of stuff, and everything can't be a winner. Re-creating another country's show is difficult at best. Everyone who's seen the original is going to hate the remake. It's like hearing another band cover your favorite band's hit song.

That said, here's what I'd like to see...

Get one of the major non-broadcast networks (HBO, Showtime, FX, etc.) to pony up the cash and hire a Japanese drama company to come over here and shoot an original JDrama. Bring Japanese actors that are moderately fluent in English and have the language be a mixture of Japanese and English, depending on the situation. Give the Japanese crew absolute control over the content and allow the writers to maintain the eastern culture and storyline, but let the story be set in America.

One other thing... Horikita Maki has to star in it. :D :D
well she already plays in a japanese movie directed by an american director...
And they might wanna release it in the US too.

Tegoshi Yuuya and Kenichi Matsuyama are in it too... It also has some american actors in the cast but i forgot who...

ssih

Post by ssih » Feb 14th, '09, 20:55

I believe that it's not going to be released in US till 2010.

colyn7

Post by colyn7 » Feb 15th, '09, 02:52

wenks.. Is Kenichi Matsuyama fluent in English? They should have Hiro Mizushima in there.. He's english is so smooth and fluent also.. since he grew up somewhere in America or Europe..

chrono.trigger

Post by chrono.trigger » Feb 15th, '09, 03:00

OnlyWish wrote:definitely none!
all remakes are bad
Amen to that. I haven't seen any good Hollywood remakes of Asian movies

Aoiblue

Post by Aoiblue » Feb 15th, '09, 03:50

lol, i think Maou would work.

pinkcandy

this is totally tldr isn't it? I need to write shorter posts

Post by pinkcandy » Feb 19th, '09, 18:39

Hm. Not all remakes are too bad - the few remakes of UK shows, I know, like the Life on Mars, The Office, and Queer as Folk -- I hear are managing to break away from the originals and stand on their own on some level. Whether they're as good as the originals are, of course, up to opinion, but I think that once a show's quality reaches a certain point and it manages to break away and start their own cohesive and coherent... thing, they're allowed to be judged on their own merits. (Which is my current mindset for the Korean Boys Over Flowers and White Tower.)

Also, I sometimes feel like TV racial representation makes more of an effort for diverse casting than movie studios such as - Grey's Anatomy (high budget soap opera) or The Mentalist (mystery thriller and procedural in one) or Battle Star Galactica (sci-fi) or Heroes (super heroes) or Lost (sci-fi thriller mystery) ....even Power Rangers. Of course, the POC there are still a drop of water in a sea of white people compared to all the other network shows out there, but at least you see the representation THERE, and they're actually real characters in their own right and given real screen time and character development that isn't race based. They're not just random and interchangeable token POC... anyway. I don't think it's impossible to remake a series. It just needs a good team of writers that know what they're doing, producers that have a clear idea of what the project is about, and enough funding. I mean, they can even do something like what they did in Korea for White Tower and pull in the original writer of the show as support/reference/help. (Which... I think they tend to at least try to do anyway for remakes.)

So with that in mind, I think, in order for a Japanese drama to convert over and survive Americanization - either due to a direct change in values or the writers finding a cultural equivalent - it'd have to be something that focuses on things other than Japanese cultural...thingies. Shows like Shigeshoshi wouldn't work at all. It IS possible to have miniseries in the US, though. It just depends on the channel that picks it up - like HBO or something.

I dunno. Hm. For shows that aren't specifically crime or medical procedurals....

-Maou serial killer mystery thriller. This'd make a great little miniseries
-Galileo
-Hotelier
-Ikeburo West Gate Park
-My Little Chef/Sommelier/etc Any of the food dramas would be interesting to see on like. I don't know. As a PBS drama with each ep followed up with actual recipes. - even Teppan Shojo Akane, since there are plenty of Chinatowns/Japantown/Korea towns in the US who sell street food in carts, and there's a healthy competition for more clients and it can just be set in California or New York City. I'm still waiting for a drama about a falafel cart guy and his journey into foodie super stardom. *laugh*
-Sailor Moon (hilarious) - this is one of those ones where it doesn't matter how bad it is, it'd still be awesome.
-White Tower - (though I'd vote for the Korean version to be adapted over the Japanese one in this case for a few subtle nuances, but they're both the same story.) vicious hospital politics over a backdrop of ethics, medical liability, and funding? That would translate BEAUTIFULLY. Sort of like an evil West Wing crossed with House and it has potential be be expanded with more seasons if there is any interest.
-in fact, with the popularity of Grey's Anatomy and House, it'd also be interesting to see some of the more relationship based medical drama ported over. Since they're essentially relationships placed in a medical setting, rather than just medical procedurals. I can't remember any names off the top of my head though.
-ROOKIES/Gokusen There's always have been a subset of movies/stories out there about a teacher/mentor understanding poor angry youths and showing them a better path through sports/song/dance/writing/competitive cooking. I think there was a TV mini series at some point with an ex-cop as a teacher? I can't remember... anyway, this would slot in easily.
-Odoru Daisousasen US police are structured differently from Japanese police, but there is still infighting amongst federal and local branches over priority on a case. Even within the locals, there's resentment amongst regular police and detectives. So I think a story about an idealistic cop fighting his way through the ranks and hopefully inspiring his precinct and the aid of a higher official-- I think it could work.

Difficult but would be interesting if it could be done successfully

-Shomuni - This probably wouldn't make any sense considering the US now. BUT. Perhaps time warp it and have it set back in... oh. The 60s-70s? There's a thought. It'd be like Madmen, but from the women's point of view.
-Iguana no Musume My guess is that an American adaptation wouldn't cop out with the whole thing of whether the mother really IS an iguana or not and focus on psychology and the cyclical nature of abuse.

Others maybe....
-PRIDE This I'm not sure about. There's something about the Japanese take of Western sports that is somehow... different.
-Food Fight I think the US competitive eating circuit is nonprofit, but... it might work here.
-Over Time This is essentially a soap opera. If they can keep the atmosphere going without going all va-vavoom with it... it'd be interesting to see this sort of story happening in a US show and it's far less staid/quiet compared to Long Vacation and potentially has enough twists and turns to keep interest.... it might still be too tame, though.
-Trick It'd be like... X-files gone wrong and... it really depends on if they can keep the really odd humor and quirky stylistics which I think was so embedded in the show that it might not go over well. This one might be too much of a stretch, but if it can be done somehow... it might work.
-Celeb to Binbo Taro- Why do I suddenly see Paris Hilton?

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Feb 19th, '09, 19:10

I've finally found a drama that could be remade by Hollywood without losing its feel. The drama Triangle looks like it would be be really good to remake.

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Feb 19th, '09, 19:17

ssih wrote:I believe that it's not going to be released in US till 2010.
Its going to be released this falll

colyn7 wrote:wenks.. Is Kenichi Matsuyama fluent in English? They should have Hiro Mizushima in there.. He's english is so smooth and fluent also.. since he grew up somewhere in America or Europe..
Sweden, and this movie is mainly in japanese there are only a few english lines...

ssih

Post by ssih » Feb 19th, '09, 19:24

Karate-ka wrote:
ssih wrote:I believe that it's not going to be released in US till 2010.
Its going to be released this falll
It's going to be released in Japan this fall. It won't be released in US until 2010.

http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-4078

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Jun 22nd, '09, 01:42

I still can't get over the butchering of Chakushin ari (One missed call) ; ;
One thing that pisses me off about the whole thing was that there were Eng subs for the original version and English dubs as well so what was the point of recreating it?

patosuke

Re: What J-Drama would you like to see Hollywood try to rema

Post by patosuke » Jun 22nd, '09, 01:55

snoopypal wrote:
Densha Otoko: Hardcore comics-gamer geek and office clerk (Frankie Muniz) saves a quiet, emotionally scarred fashion model (Mandy Moore) while riding the New York subway. He then uses an assortment of wireless mobile devices to seek on-the-fly advice from anonymous forum dwellers to court her. Guest cameos galore filling in for the forum gallery.
I think Muniz would actually be perfect. Not so sure about Mandy Moore but she's pretty without being a bombshell and the 6-inch height difference is irresistible casting!
ABC already has a show that's conspicuously very similar to what you just described... and, more conspicuously, came out in 2006. You may know it as Ugly Betty.
And, fitting with how a lot of people in this thread feel about remarkes, it (Ugly Betty) is a terrible show.
Trying to be more positive... I like the idea with Muniz. But I think Mandy Moore would need a lot more rethinking. From what I've seen I don't think she's capable of playing anything beyond a shallow character... and it's pretty important to the show that "Hermes" is a thoughtful person.

Love Shuffle is the drama that sticks in my head. But I see 2 major issues...
1) American producers wouldn't be able to avoid everyone sleeping with everyone in every episode. American tv thrives on sex.
2) I think it'd be too hard for American audiences to accept #1 as a show worth watching, but even if the producers managed to avoid it just becoming an orgy... they wouldn't find that "believable" either.

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Jun 22nd, '09, 04:18

i think one liter of tears is a good one, but i dont think anyone can act as well as sawajiri erika in the main role.
another would be koizora. again, i don't know who can play the main two actors.
i think japanese actors are incredibly good. hollywood actors don't impress me that much :P

Kakijun

Post by Kakijun » Jun 22nd, '09, 04:51

It's not a drama but I want to see Monster made into a Hollywood movie. I love high tension movies! :D

pinkcandy

Post by pinkcandy » Jun 23rd, '09, 07:05

I think Monster is already languishing away in production purgatory, and was intended to be a multi-part movie by New Line Cinema as written maybe by the guy who did 'A History of Violence'. It's probably dead in the water by now, as it's been over a year since I heard anything about it.

I'd had some level of hope too, since New Line seemed to have two types of movies: utter sludge and stuff with some level of artistic integrity, even if it turns out the product becomes inaccessible because of it. But it ended up in the sludge pile, it should stay dead where it is.

I'm actually of the mind that Monster would absolutely rock as an HBO miniseries. Preferably done by the people who worked on Rome or The Wire.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jun 23rd, '09, 07:56

patosuke wrote: ABC already has a show that's conspicuously very similar to what you just described... and, more conspicuously, came out in 2006. You may know it as Ugly Betty.
And, fitting with how a lot of people in this thread feel about remarkes, it (Ugly Betty) is a terrible show.
Just to throw a fly in the ointment, Ugly Betty is the American remake of Yo Soy Betty, La Fea, which was a Spanish (Columbian, I think?) miniseries. Show still sucks, but it's got nothing to to with any Japanese series. If I remember right, Betty ended up marrying the owner's kid after 16 or 20 episodes or so and the series ended, but it's been a while since I've seen it...

pizza17

Post by pizza17 » Jun 23rd, '09, 08:05

I think remakes would destroy J-dramas, everything will be for example focused on sex.
But recently I watched the movie Ghosts of Girlfriends Past in the cinemas and it somehow reminded me of Proposal Daikusen hehe, the whole time I was like ahh you stole that lol But perhaps I'm just too focused on J-drama lol

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jun 23rd, '09, 08:14

aNToK wrote:
patosuke wrote: ABC already has a show that's conspicuously very similar to what you just described... and, more conspicuously, came out in 2006. You may know it as Ugly Betty.
Just to throw a fly in the ointment, Ugly Betty is the American remake of Yo Soy Betty, La Fea, which was a Spanish (Columbian, I think?) miniseries. Show still sucks, but it's got nothing to to with any Japanese series. If I remember right, Betty ended up marrying the owner's kid after 16 or 20 episodes or so and the series ended, but it's been a while since I've seen it...
And yet about 19 or 20 countries thought it was profitable enough to make their own version. Isn't TV funny?

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Jun 23rd, '09, 08:36

pizza17 wrote:I think remakes would destroy J-dramas, everything will be for example focused on sex.
But recently I watched the movie Ghosts of Girlfriends Past in the cinemas and it somehow reminded me of Proposal Daikusen hehe, the whole time I was like ahh you stole that lol But perhaps I'm just too focused on J-drama lol
You should definitely take a break. Its similar to ghost of Christmas past, but definitely, definitely, not in the same universe af ProDai.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jun 23rd, '09, 08:48

popoycanton wrote:
pizza17 wrote:I think remakes would destroy J-dramas, everything will be for example focused on sex.
You should definitely take a break. Its similar to ghost of Christmas past, but definitely, definitely, not in the same universe af ProDai.
Except ProDai is the same concept as The Christmas Carol. The only real difference is he's allowed to interact with the past and not just watch.

pizza17

Post by pizza17 » Jun 23rd, '09, 09:33

Puppet Princess wrote:
popoycanton wrote:
Except ProDai is the same concept as The Christmas Carol. The only real difference is he's allowed to interact with the past and not just watch.
Yeah it's the concept I'm taliking about, I know both are from the Christmas Carol, but I mean the settings in Proposal Daikusen and the movie were similiar.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jun 23rd, '09, 16:31

Puppet Princess wrote: And yet about 19 or 20 countries thought it was profitable enough to make their own version. Isn't TV funny?
I was referring strictly to the American version of the show in my suckage commment....

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Jun 23rd, '09, 17:19

pizza17 wrote:
Puppet Princess wrote:
popoycanton wrote: You should definitely take a break. Its similar to ghost of Christmas past, but definitely, definitely, not in the same universe af ProDai.
Yeah it's the concept I'm taliking about, I know both are from the Christmas Carol, but I mean the settings in Proposal Daikusen and the movie were similiar.
Wow, you two should really take a break. You see j-drama in everything even if its not there.

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Jun 23rd, '09, 17:34

aNToK wrote:
La Fea mas Bella the original Ugly Betty as a very popular and extremely long running series and ran for 301 episodes.

And I hope no American company remakes a dorama. I like having shows that end in three months and would hate to see one extended for years. And it will just never be as good as the original.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jun 23rd, '09, 18:16

Ah, here we go, the original "Ugly Betty." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_la_fea

The original was the Columbian one and ran for a few years. Since Salma Hayek was one of the main people involved in bringing the American version to life, I'd guess that it's largely based on the Mexican version that wmcnair370 mentioned.

Ooh, and there's supposed to be a sequel in the works. Guess there won't be an American version of that one, since the series has never "ended."

In America, we just don't seem to be able to finish telling a story if there's still money to be made from it. Remember the first season of "Prison Break?" It was actually pretty cool. Same with "24." My favorite "Battlestar Galactica" had some serious blah issues in season 3 with the writers' strike and all, but at least they ended on a fairly high note in the final season.

After watching the atrocious "The Lake House" butchering of another favorite, "Il Mare," I'm not looking forward to any remakes of Asian series myself.

Of course, to be fair, most of the Asian remakes of American shows have shown major signs of Hooveritis as well.....

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jun 23rd, '09, 19:55

popoycanton wrote:
pizza17 wrote:
Puppet Princess wrote:
Wow, you two should really take a break. You see j-drama in everything even if its not there.
Um no I saw The Christmas Carol in a Jdrama. That's the other way around.
And the connection IS there.

What most people don't realize is that completely original concepts don't really exist much anymore. Movies and shows these days are born from people taking an existing story and going, "but what if we did this?" That's also how scripts are pitched to producers. Writers say "it's *movie* meets "movie"", or "It's like *another movie*, only...."
It's Treasure island... In SPACE! <-- My favorite example because it's the most blatant example of this.

Gir

Post by Gir » Jun 23rd, '09, 20:31

Puppet Princess wrote:
It's Treasure island... In SPACE! <-- My favorite example because it's the most blatant example of this.
What was that? sounds interesting.

How about Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Bulykin

Post by Bulykin » Jun 28th, '09, 19:02

of course the Slingshot/A man's Story...or The Devil^^
i think the Slingshot is a typical Hollywood story:P

OnlyXainz

Post by OnlyXainz » Jul 16th, '09, 22:05

hotaru no hikari or like... zettai kareshi with super technoogy XD that'd be awesomely cute

mele90

Post by mele90 » Jul 21st, '09, 22:56

It's Treasure island... In SPACE!
the inner kid in me is screaming "treasure planet"
this movie exists in animation.

then again im fuzzy in reguards to treasure island plot, but its basically the pirate concept in space, so close enough