• Format: Renzoku
  • Genre: Comedy, mystery
  • Episodes: TBA
  • Broadcast network: Fuji TV
  • Broadcast period: 2008-Aug-02
  • Air time: Saturday 23:10
  • Theme song: Secret Code by KinKi Kids
Story
Each episode's mystery is solved within that short time span, but unlike typical detective shows, this comedy features a slow-witted sleuth named Rokuro Kurama. While viewers will be able to identify the criminal right away, Kurama constantly comes up with incorrect theories, leading him to always accuse the wrong person. The show's name comes from its time slot (Saturday nights at 11:10pm), which runs a total of 33 minutes after commercial time is subtracted.

Cast
  • Domoto Tsuyoshi as Kurama Rokuro
  • Mizukawa Asami as Muto Rikako
  • Takahashi Katsumi as Police Inspector Otawara
  • * Totsugi Shigeyuki as Detective Motegi
  • Sato Jiro as the judgment official
  • Nonami Maho as Ai (assistant to the judgment official)
  • Kojima Yoshio (小島よしお) as the informer
Sub Group
CHLOE Fansubs

Soft Subs
I looked on the fansub map and I didn't see anyone willing to do this, since I like this show a lot, if the MQ is released here, I'll do it on the side from my group. :)

... So, who likes this?! XD

crocus

Post by crocus » Aug 3rd, '08, 09:04

me! me! me!

i love dots!!!! :heart: :wub:

so, u'll sub it under SBK right?

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 3rd, '08, 09:08

No, because CHLOE Project is subbing it (according to the fansub map) This will just be under me, not associated with our group.

crocus

Post by crocus » Aug 3rd, '08, 09:15

ok... that's great coz i know you are pretty fast in translation...

thanks in advance!!! this is indeed a good news... :lol :cheers: :party:

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 3rd, '08, 09:23

Aw, thank you~

Now where is that MQ/HQ? No one has uploaded it yet!

ladyxenax

Post by ladyxenax » Aug 3rd, '08, 09:59

It would be great to have softsubs! I'm still downloading the first episode. It can be found on kkk8 clubbox. ))

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 3rd, '08, 10:28

Clubbox is evil to my computer... :( Is it the 300 meg version? I already have that version...

Enaji

Post by Enaji » Aug 3rd, '08, 10:37

I'm interested in this, the plot seems fun :D
Just hope that it will be done well.

carol

Post by carol » Aug 3rd, '08, 14:11

I really like it!
coz of tsuyoshi,hoho
when and where can I download the raw?
box;s speed is evil

Salz

Post by Salz » Aug 3rd, '08, 14:12

this my most anticipated drama this summer^^
Tsuyoshi<33333

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Aug 3rd, '08, 14:21

Ladymercury thanks for softsubbing this :)

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Aug 3rd, '08, 17:02

YEY~
@ Ladymercury
You're pushing through the softsubs? Yey~

I'm waiting for the raws of this drama..
I can't wait to watch this~

mistery_priestess

Post by mistery_priestess » Aug 3rd, '08, 17:29

I watched it already!
No spoiler, don't worry xD
Just... it's more stupid than I thought it will be! But it's fun ^____^!
sub's would help a lot, by the way XD" I did understand the plot and main things, still the I have the feeling the little things are the charm of this drama XD"! And besides, more people would watch it then :D
And Tsuyo is great of course >DDD

miya-san

Post by miya-san » Aug 3rd, '08, 17:47

I can't wait to watch this.
The wasn't released here torrent yet =/

I would love softsubs! T___T~~

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 3rd, '08, 18:58

morai_naki wrote:YEY~
@ Ladymercury
You're pushing through the softsubs? Yey~

I'm waiting for the raws of this drama..
I can't wait to watch this~
Yep, almost done too. Got another.... 15 more minutes to translate. It's really stupid XD Oh, Rokuro is such an idiot.

crocus

Post by crocus » Aug 3rd, '08, 19:16

yeay!!!! just as i thought! you are fast in translation!

Salz

Post by Salz » Aug 4th, '08, 05:22

thanks Ladymercury for the softsubbed^^

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Aug 4th, '08, 05:31

you're fast ladymercury :D

lol im watching this for kojima yoshio and nonami maho!

btw kojima yoshio is wearing his usual undies in this series? haha

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Aug 4th, '08, 12:42

Great to hear that you're subbing this series!

This is one of those shows you'll either love or hate. Personally I really liked how they take many of the routine and clichéd aspects of detective dramas and subvert them. Usually the detective is the most intelligent and perceptive guy or girl around; here Rokuro is the stupidest. Usually the detective solves the crime within a convenient 45-minute one episode; here Rokuro insists on solving a crime in no more or less than 33 minutes because... that's the time period Fuji TV gave the show's producers (!). And not to mention, usually the forensics lab is more helpful than this.

But what really won me over was the excessive eye shadow and all the rice, topped by the record-size onigiri. I appreciate shows where the show doesn't take itself too seriously and the actors are obviously having fun. 8)

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Aug 4th, '08, 14:17

lzydata wrote:Great to hear that you're subbing this series!

This is one of those shows you'll either love or hate. Personally I really liked how they take many of the routine and clichéd aspects of detective dramas and subvert them. Usually the detective is the most intelligent and perceptive guy or girl around; here Rokuro is the stupidest. Usually the detective solves the crime within a convenient 45-minute one episode; here Rokuro insists on solving a crime in no more or less than 33 minutes because... that's the time period Fuji TV gave the show's producers (!). And not to mention, usually the forensics lab is more helpful than this.

But what really won me over was the excessive eye shadow and all the rice, topped by the record-size onigiri. I appreciate shows where the show doesn't take itself too seriously and the actors are obviously having fun. 8)
I definitely agree with you about one thing, this show certainly isn't for everyone. I hated it.

While I can appreciate a show that tries to take the detective story genre and inject it with humor and do things differently ( like American shows Monk or Psych as an example or Kuitan for a japanese drama ), I think this show was waay over the top. Too much for me anyway.

I couldn't help constantly thinking that Rokuro was the anti-, Bizarro Kindaichi version of a detective. Whereas Kindaichi is a genius, Rokuro was the polar opposite. Maybe that was what the producers had in mind. Interesting take for a show, but I fear that this premise is going to wear thin fast unless they develop the relationship with the characters. To me that's the most important aspect to any show. Not so much the cases and the reasoning of the detective and crew, but the dynamic exchanges between them. To me what really killed this show, I felt there was a general lack of chemisty between Domoto Tsuyoshi and Mizukawa Asami.

Ironically to me, the constantly silliness in Rokuro's crazy detective reasoning left me watching the clock. Even though this is a 33 minute show ( approximately ) it felt agonizingly longer.

But I suspect that many folks will enjoy this show. And the fact that ladymercury is providing the subs is probably the best thing in this entire thread. Good luck! I'm sure you'll do a great job!

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 4th, '08, 16:42

I will admit that there are some aspects in this drama that does make it seem longer than the 33 minutes given to him to solve the mystery, but I think the #1 think that makes me like it so much is that they're constantly breaking the forth wall, even Asami's character. I love humor that constantly breaks the forth wall, and considering that the jokes in this drama isn't your conventional Japanese humor, its a breath of relief.

Ie, when Rokuro makes his comment about twins and Rikako then says " This nation's twins are going to be angry ", stuff like that. Its really childish. But, considering this is Tsuyoshi Domouto, this type of show is RIGHT up his alley. I mean, if you think this is weird, watch Fantastipo.

The movie literally makes no sense, and the producers knew. How else are you gonna tag line a movie with " Its okay if you don't understand it "

kansha773

Post by kansha773 » Aug 4th, '08, 19:40

Ladymercury wrote:I mean, if you think this is weird, watch Fantastipo.
Hahahahahah! I agree so much with this. I don't think even now I can't fully comprehend Fantastipo. ww

About 33pun, i found it funny wwww. Especially Tsuyoshi's expressions.......Can't wait for the future releases from the drama.

kooriyuki16

Post by kooriyuki16 » Aug 5th, '08, 14:21

i think in the midst of serious detective dramas (like maou), and not so funny dramas (like 4 lies and koizora), it's refreshing to have 33 pun tantei.

i dont agree that rokuro is stupid; he has a weird sense of logic, and a out-of-the-world imagination (who on earth will think of sticking sugar cubes together to make it a 2 storey high platform?!). he highly believes in finding out more evidence before closing case, that's why he insisted on 33 minutes instead of instantly catching the culprit.

i do agree this is not a show for everyone, not even all tsuyoshi's fans i think. but i absolutely love his style and his ability to act silly in serious situations. (i was reminded of his role in aiken roshinante no sainan)

waiting for the next episode for more facepalm humor! :D

miya-san

Post by miya-san » Aug 5th, '08, 14:30

OMG, it's more stupid then I thought! XD
Ok, let's watch it! uahauaha

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 5th, '08, 16:44

kooriyuki16 wrote:i dont agree that rokuro is stupid; he has a weird sense of logic, and a out-of-the-world imagination (who on earth will think of sticking sugar cubes together to make it a 2 storey high platform?!). he highly believes in finding out more evidence before closing case, that's why he insisted on 33 minutes instead of instantly catching the culprit.
I agree there too. I realized he bases a lot of his theories off of the detective/mystery books that he has read, making references to them. He probably is a detective that just lives the fantasy of the great mysteries of the 20th century.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 6th, '08, 01:56

I just finished episode 1 and after I time it, hopefully, I'll have it out later tonight. :D/

Tethur

Post by Tethur » Aug 6th, '08, 11:31

Just watched the first episode. Liked it but I have to say some of those gags were straight out of the original Police Squad! TV-series, so much so i kept wondering if it was a Japanese adaption. Anybody know ?

marspeach

Post by marspeach » Aug 6th, '08, 14:00

Tethur wrote:Just watched the first episode. Liked it but I have to say some of those gags were straight out of the original Police Squad! TV-series, so much so i kept wondering if it was a Japanese adaption. Anybody know ?
Haha, I remember the fakey freeze frame at the end from that show but that was the only thing that made me think Police Squad. Of course I was really young when I saw it so there was probably more.

Tethur

Post by Tethur » Aug 6th, '08, 14:40

marspeach wrote:Of course I was really young when I saw it so there was probably more.
The mime scene and the informant scene's [shoe shine man in the orginal], the hitting gag [ending with the chief getting hit] and the aformentioned freeze frame were lifted almost straight out of Police Squad!. Added with the overly fake rear projected driving scene's which police squad popularized and the half-a-wall gag in the crime lab I was having some serious deja vu :mrgreen:

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 6th, '08, 23:35

What's Police Squad? XD

Tethur

Post by Tethur » Aug 11th, '08, 15:58

Ladymercury wrote:What's Police Squad? XD
FYI Police Squad! is an American comedy series broadcast in 1982. The show was a parody of many American police dramas with a lot of jokes and sight gags. The series itself is mostly forgotten but many people do know the Naked Gun films [same writers, same actors] which are based on the series and recycle a lot of the jokes.

domoto

Post by domoto » Aug 25th, '08, 15:40

Bonjour excusez moi de vous ennuyer mais pourriez vous me dire ou je peux trouver les softsub en Anglais, je ne vois que le 1
Merci beaucoup

:wub: :heart: :clap:

Hello excuse me bore you but could you tell me where I can find softsub in English, I can see that the 1
Thank you very much

:wub: :heart: :clap:

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Aug 28th, '08, 10:21

there are ep2 and 3 subs here if anyone's interested.
http://community.livejournal.com/chloep ... tml#cutid1

domoto

Post by domoto » Aug 28th, '08, 14:56

THANK YOU :wub: :thumright: :heart:

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Oct 5th, '08, 15:11

Hasn't anyone else followed this drama till the end? :)

As all-out nonsensical entertainment, 33-pun Tantei doesn't have much competition. I'm glad that they never let up on the wackiness. It's great to have shows like this where you can just relax and have a good laugh.

Thanks to the people here who clued us in on the Police Squad homage! Some of their fake freeze-frame sequences didn't really work (the takoyaki one), but I enjoyed most of them.

Some of my favourite moments or gags:

- Of all the unwelcome guests: the "ore ore" ("It's me! It's me!") scam acted out by a person, which of course makes no sense
- Of all the transportation devices: the incredibly fake horse
- Of all the freeze-frame sequences: the onigiri one, the champagne one, the alien one
- The Fuji TV tie-ins: Mezamashi TV, Taiyou to Umi no Kyoushitsu, the announcers, and even name-dropping Ruka of Last Friends. Has there ever been a show with so many tie-ins?
- In the 'absolutely wild even by 33-pun Tantei standards' category: the musical sequence and the blackface parody of Obama. Not to get political here, but if anyone needs the informant's help now, it's McCain.
- Kindaichi! "...On Grandpa's name!" "Finally!" "Hajime-chan!"

scaturan

Post by scaturan » Oct 5th, '08, 15:15

I finished watching the entire series. Lots of goofball moments. Highly recommended!

Gir

Post by Gir » Oct 19th, '08, 00:32

Tethur wrote:
marspeach wrote:Of course I was really young when I saw it so there was probably more.
The mime scene and the informant scene's [shoe shine man in the orginal], the hitting gag [ending with the chief getting hit] and the aformentioned freeze frame were lifted almost straight out of Police Squad!. Added with the overly fake rear projected driving scene's which police squad popularized and the half-a-wall gag in the crime lab I was having some serious deja vu :mrgreen:
And the lab scenes, where the lab guy would be doing weird experiment/demos just before the detective would enter. Kurama is a good match for Lt. Drebin, and Otawara for Captain Hocken.

About halfway through the episode the Police Squadness of the show it really hit me, I would have to say the shows writers definitely watched and maybe were fans of Police Squad. I've rather enjoyed the first episode, (the only one I've seen yet) but I also really liked Police Squad too, so what's not to like.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 19th, '08, 06:27

I always loved Police Squad. (I think they were even playing it on TVLand a few years ago.) So those parallels are welcome here too.

I've watched through episode 3 subbed (though Chloe Project was timed to a different file, so the ends of those 2 episodes totally didn't match as a result of the commercial break.) I've just started watching episodes raw. I'm sure I'm missing tons of verbal jokes and details, but I'm still keeping up with the basic plot and having a wonderful time anyhow.

lushtea

Post by lushtea » Oct 20th, '08, 15:33

love this series...
so far, i managed to watch til ep4 wit sub..
just frustrating to see all the raw eps without me understanding it.. haha...
it's sad that series like this don't get the subber' priority..
yeah.. maybe because these kind of series just not for everybody...
patiently waiting though... :salut:

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 20th, '08, 16:50

No worries. Subbing takes lots of time, and when someone is commited to one series already their side projects just can't get the same priority. I don't think it's really just that this series is a bit more niche for screwball comedy fans.

Tsuyoshi dramas are actually what started me watching raw series in the first place. By the end of Kindaichi seasons one and two, I came away with many very key "mystery series helpful" words. You know.... satsujin (murder), hannin (criminal), hanzai (crime), jisatsu (suicide), etc... LOL As well as all Kindaichi's catchphrases. It's funny how much use I'm still getting out of that specific vocabulary. (And Tsuyo-chan can still deliver, "Jichan no nani kakete!" like noone else, btw. :wub: )

I think I've actually watched more raw dramas for Tsuyoshi than subbed ones, though many of those older ones are getting picked up now. I honestly think his dramas are currently getting more attention than I've seen for him in the few years I've been here. :D

ETA: Apparently, 33pun Tantei ranked 3rd in votes for Best Drama this summer in the Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix. While it was way behind Maou and Code Blue, it was a really pleasant surprise that 33-pun Tantei had enough following in Japan to land in the top 3. :wub:

http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-3932

BigHeadDog

Post by BigHeadDog » Oct 21st, '08, 02:04

i will be waiting for the batch release...

jewelchan

Post by jewelchan » Nov 10th, '08, 05:57

If you can watch videos on Veoh, I subbed Episodes 4 and 5 and post them there. (I'm practicing my Japanese so I randomly pick the episodes that have Japanese script on jdrama.cc blog. The translation is probably around 80% correct because there are many difficult words. Anyway, it should be okay to understand the story. ^_^)

33 Pun Tantei Episodes 4-5 English Subbed

Ep.04: Part 1, Part 2
Ep.05: Part 1, Part 2

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Feb 18th, '09, 01:30

Thank you, Jewelchan! :cheers: :mrgreen:

I can't believe we get both SP and a second season! Looks like this season Rokuro will be dealing with the Kyoto Prefectural Police, and Sawamura Ikki will be joining the cast as the Police Inspector from Kyoto.

jewelchan

Post by jewelchan » Feb 18th, '09, 02:52

Wow, ryoko11, thanks for the news about the sequel. This actually is quite a big surprise for me... Now this answers why Tsuyoshi's been having nice hair style on Shin Domoto Kyodai lately. :P (I usually saw him with weird hairdos in the past. But now his hair is always short and nice. ^_^)

And, Rokuro will work with Kyoto police? I hope they won't speak in Kansai dialect much because it's so difficult to understand. T_T

By the way, C.H.L.O.E. project did release the English hardsub videos upto Ep.07. I think they haven't uploaded their files here after the first few episodes but the videos are available at their livejournal page.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Feb 18th, '09, 15:12

jewelchan wrote:Wow, ryoko11, thanks for the news about the sequel. This actually is quite a big surprise for me... Now this answers why Tsuyoshi's been having nice hair style on Shin Domoto Kyodai lately. :P (I usually saw him with weird hairdos in the past. But now his hair is always short and nice. ^_^)

And, Rokuro will work with Kyoto police? I hope they won't speak in Kansai dialect much because it's so difficult to understand. T_T

By the way, C.H.L.O.E. project did release the English hardsub videos upto Ep.07. I think they haven't uploaded their files here after the first few episodes but the videos are available at their livejournal page.

Tsuyoshi's had some pretty experimental hairdos over the years. I can probably accept anything but that perm from circa Eien no Bloods. LOL I dig the Rokuro short hair on him, so I'm glad to see it sticking around for a while. It looks really good.

I honestly don't know anything about the dialect. For some reason I don't expect them to use it much if at all, but I could be totally wrong.

Thanks for the heads up on the hardsubs! C.H.L.O.E. project is linking their second journal from their wiki page, so I hadn't realized that they had updated their first journal with the subs. I'm still kinda hoping for more softsubs from them too.

Dragonfan

Post by Dragonfan » Sep 21st, '12, 01:56

Is this dorama subbed in english until the end anywhere?

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » May 2nd, '13, 08:06

Uh, I completely forgot to download this until now.
Would love to watch this, it sounds really fun.