Do you really hate where your born that much??

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
evelinux

Post by evelinux » Apr 19th, '09, 16:25

i was born in Poland.. and i still live there. i really can't say that i like my country. the city i live in is nice cause it's not big. there are some nice cities here, but there also are some big, dirty cities, whom i do not like at all.. i'd like to see the world like, US, UK, Japan, Greece, Ireland, but i'm too afraid that i might get lost or so.. but my real dream is to go to those countries alone and see them from a different side than during some organised vacation tours. i wonder how it would be to live in Japan..

rmaggie

Post by rmaggie » Apr 21st, '09, 06:25

edmond chow wrote:most people who say that believe that the world shown in anime is how japan really is xD
if you actually went oversea's to another country for a good amount of time you'll have a new appreciation for your country.
I live in usa and will actually be moving to live in Singapore because that's where my husband is and for us Singapore will be a better environment but I miss America when I'm over there it's a big change to move country's, almost everything is different it can be so frustrating and scary! you don't know all the rules, the currency is completely different the language and beliefs, food, weather, BUGS, and how people see you it's all different the min you leave America you become a foreigner epically if you look western and have to deal with being the different one. I hear japan is even worse since most Japanese are prejudice against foreigners.
But i still don't totally love my country I'm just used to it. I'll miss my family and government assistance and maybe walmart since Singapore doesn't have discount places like that but nothing
Hmmm you can try shop and save in Singapore or NTUC thats where the locals get their "cheap" deals. Don't worry about the language in Singapore, we do speak a strange sort of english if you like but you will get use to it.

Back to the topic I was born in Singapore, went over to hong kong to work for a year or so... now back in Singapore again. Can't say I love this god forsaken Island but I guess there are worse place out there in the world

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Apr 28th, '09, 22:35

Speaking of Polish ppl, I've noticed my city got a huge amount of Polish immigrants from 2003-2006 here. What happen there? ><;

evelinux

Post by evelinux » Apr 29th, '09, 18:04

well, basically, people don't get paid enough. being a nurse in Poland means getting less.. much less money than being a Polish nurse in Britain or Ireland. many young people come there with their families to start a new life there or to just save some money to built a house in Poland. and that's how it started to be a popular fashion in Poland..

as for US, i think it's the same thing, but now the fashion is rather to go to UK than US.. it's closer, and it's in Europe.. and you don't have to pay so much for the plane ticket..

and talking about Polish people overseas and here.. on our classes we had some Mormons with whom we were talking and they said that every time they come across some older Polish people and they say that they are from the US the people say, like.. "I have a son in Chicago, his name is Peter, do you know him?" and that was.. aaah.. funny.. :goggle: some people seem to be so limited.. i mean, Polish people ;)

E.seeH

Post by E.seeH » Apr 29th, '09, 18:31

Both yes and no...
Malaysia is hot! but the food is delicious with many varieties due to diverse ethnic..lolz
Actually is not hate...is that I'm bored with Msia due to many years living with the same thing: doing the same thing, looking the same thing, eating the same thing, enjoying the same thing, experiece the same thing.
I still love my country because this is where I born with nothing, growing a life, die with everything.

ghabarkhaz

Post by ghabarkhaz » Apr 29th, '09, 22:29

I dont hate my country, i just hate the people.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Apr 29th, '09, 22:46

evelinux wrote:well, basically, people don't get paid enough. being a nurse in Poland means getting less.. much less money than being a Polish nurse in Britain or Ireland. many young people come there with their families to start a new life there or to just save some money to built a house in Poland. and that's how it started to be a popular fashion in Poland..

as for US, i think it's the same thing, but now the fashion is rather to go to UK than US.. it's closer, and it's in Europe.. and you don't have to pay so much for the plane ticket..
I woulda went to the UK than the US too if I was Polish, I'm cheap ^.^ lol

evelinux

Post by evelinux » Apr 30th, '09, 05:56

kuro570 wrote:I woulda went to the UK than the US too if I was Polish, I'm cheap ^.^ lol
hehe.. I'd like to go to the UK too, but the US also seems fun.. (you know I'm the Twilight fan.. soo.... Forks, Washington!) ;)

Phillykat

Post by Phillykat » Apr 30th, '09, 06:52

Your location doesn't have to be where you are born. I could've said North America, my living room, or Burger King. It really wouldn't tell you anything. So why fill it in. Honestly, at first I didn't even have mine filled. I think mine says Land of Make Believe. Why? Because dramas are away to escape my everyday, relax, and be entertained. That is truly where I am. The city in which I was born or live has absolutely no relevance. And to be quite frank sometimes I just don't want to tell people where I am. Though, if you look at the username, it's kinda obvious.

evelinux

Post by evelinux » Apr 30th, '09, 11:47

Phillykat wrote:Your location doesn't have to be where you are born. I could've said North America, my living room, or Burger King. It really wouldn't tell you anything. So why fill it in. Honestly, at first I didn't even have mine filled. I think mine says Land of Make Believe. Why? Because dramas are away to escape my everyday, relax, and be entertained. That is truly where I am. The city in which I was born or live has absolutely no relevance. And to be quite frank sometimes I just don't want to tell people where I am. Though, if you look at the username, it's kinda obvious.
true, but every now and then you have to come back to reality.. to real life.. to your location.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Apr 30th, '09, 12:29

Phillykat wrote:Your location doesn't have to be where you are born. I could've said North America, my living room, or Burger King. It really wouldn't tell you anything. So why fill it in. Honestly, at first I didn't even have mine filled. I think mine says Land of Make Believe. Why? Because dramas are away to escape my everyday, relax, and be entertained. That is truly where I am. The city in which I was born or live has absolutely no relevance. And to be quite frank sometimes I just don't want to tell people where I am. Though, if you look at the username, it's kinda obvious.
Someone completely missed the point of the thread lol. I didn't say anything about the ppl who put their location like yours "Land of make believe" I was talking about the ppl, the many ppl who put stuff like "Sadly the U.S. U.K. Canada, etc" or the ppl that talks down about their own country while praising countries they never been too like Japan or Korea.

gurlzrule

Post by gurlzrule » Apr 30th, '09, 12:35

I love my country! :wub:

but really,able to travel to other countries is something everyone wants to. No one hates their countries. Its the love and nationalism that is floating all around the air(: The sense of belonging. Like come'on, love your countries dudes and babes! :D

seanne

Post by seanne » Apr 30th, '09, 13:40

It really just seems like cases of kids being infatuated with a foreign country/culture, in this case, of course, primarily Japan. It's a healthy and most normal attitude to have when you're young, to want to broaden your horizons and such.

The ironic thing of course is that if said people had in fact been born and raised in Japan they would likely have felt the same way they do now about another country, say the US or a western-European country, as seems to be the case a lot for Japanese people.

The grass is always greener on the other side, eh :)

Endroine

Post by Endroine » May 6th, '09, 13:07

Yes seanne you are very right. But compared to the Netherlands the grass is green everywhere, even in the ocean. [Not that i want to live in the ocean XD] What kind of people do you think that live here? Most will think about drugs/sex or something when they think of the netherlands right? [atleast thats the image i get from a certain movie and the internet] but thats not all. The Netherlands has no interesting history at all or any special thingys like mythologies or special days that no other country has. Were just a country with people that speak the same language. And even that is not always. People that immigrated or people with an accent most people cant understand for example.
But Japan/Korea/Taiwan/China/Thailand/Whatever especially Japan what most people like. They have all these things other countries dont have, the food, history, mythologies, special days/festivals, things that make Japan Japan Korea Korea Taiwan Taiwan China China Thailand Thailand and Whatever Whatever XD Also asian doramas are cooler than european and the guys are cuter O.O I wish i could act in asian doramas ;_;

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » May 6th, '09, 13:36

Endroine wrote:Yes seanne you are very right. But compared to the Netherlands the grass is green everywhere, even in the ocean. [Not that i want to live in the ocean XD] What kind of people do you think that live here? Most will think about drugs/sex or something when they think of the netherlands right? [atleast thats the image i get from a certain movie and the internet] but thats not all. The Netherlands has no interesting history at all or any special thingys like mythologies or special days that no other country has. Were just a country with people that speak the same language. And even that is not always. People that immigrated or people with an accent most people cant understand for example.
But Japan/Korea/Taiwan/China/Thailand/Whatever especially Japan what most people like. They have all these things other countries dont have, the food, history, mythologies, special days/festivals, things that make Japan Japan Korea Korea Taiwan Taiwan China China Thailand Thailand and Whatever Whatever XD Also asian doramas are cooler than european and the guys are cuter O.O I wish i could act in asian doramas ;_;
I don't know about most of Asia having a more interesting history than Europe, I mean Rome, Macedon, the Greek Cities are incredibly interesting not to mention that not only did Rome conquer lands of the Spanish to the lands of what used to be Carthage but also invented many of the many technologies we still use today such as roads, irrigation, sewers, in door plumbing, the Republican form of government and many more things. Japan on the other end though is interesting cause their civil war lasted so damn long, anyways Europe and the U.S. is somewhat similar to each other in culture compared to ancient Japan, Korea etc.

Elitist Grammarian

Post by Elitist Grammarian » May 12th, '09, 21:10

I love Scotland and I'm proud to be Scottish. I'm not so fond of the UK as a whole, but I wouldn't say that I hate living here. I have also noticed that a lot of people take their love of other cultures (in this case Japan, Korea and China) so far that they start to reject their own, but it's something I don't really have any personal experience of. I think it might be an immature thing and that they'll grow out of it when they realise that the streets of wherever they're infatuated with aren't actually paved with gold.

And as for the comment about Asian history being more interesting than European history, I beg to differ. Unless by Asia you mean western Asia with the crusades, the Ottomans, the Mamluks and all that jazz. Then you might have a point. But in my opinion, European history from the fall of the Western Roman Empire to the 1800s is the best part of history anywhere. The dark ages, plagues, unstable empires, infighting, wars, political intrigue and angry peasants. What more could you want? I mean, I wouldn't like to have lived anywhere in those times myself, but it's certainly interesting to read about.

gerald_tot

Post by gerald_tot » May 12th, '09, 21:19

thats a very nice question. i think for most people, in my experince, especially the ones living in 3rd world countries or even developed ones is that , they tend to have a negative outlook to where they are born because of economic,political and social reasons that the encounter. some people love other cultures like japanese/korean because probably they cannot view themselves fit in there current place. they probably feel that they could better be fitted in that society rather than theirs

as for me, I was born in the philippines, raised in a foreign country, but now still residing few months of the year in philippines for university, I can't really say i hate it, but i don't love it either.

cool_drama
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by cool_drama » May 12th, '09, 21:37

Hating your country is something that you shouldn't do, it is something that you should don't.

sunniesideup

Post by sunniesideup » May 12th, '09, 22:01

I love wear i was born and raised in honolulu, hawaii. there really isn't any place better. sometimes it is a disadvantage though, you begin to forget what the real world is like. i think when people don't realize how lucky they are, they wish for something else. but its always fun to travel and experience new things.

BloodyBandage

Post by BloodyBandage » May 14th, '09, 20:54

I think it's weird to be proud over something you have no control over...like George Carlin said. You wouldn't say you were proud to be 5 '10. You can be happy about it, but not proud :). That said I love where I live in the US, and hope others enjoy their life/location as well.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » May 14th, '09, 21:54

@BloodyBandage I have to disagree with you, even though we have no control over where we are born or our race I still think you should have some pride or dignity regardless. It would really be pitiful for anyone to hate who they are wishing they were something else just because they think something else is better.

Elitist Grammarian

Post by Elitist Grammarian » May 14th, '09, 22:11

BloodyBandage wrote:I think it's weird to be proud over something you have no control over...like George Carlin said. You wouldn't say you were proud to be 5 '10.
I disagree. I'm fiercely proud of my nation's history and my ancestors. As long as a nation's unique culture survives, the people will celebrate their achievements and will feel different from those outside it, but this isn't necessarily racist.

A lot of people don't seem to realise that it's possible to be proud of their country without being xenophobic. But it is. And there's nothing wrong with civic nationalism either. You should be proud of the positive achievements of the people of your nation throughout its history. As long as you can do that without looking down on the people of other nations, it's all good.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 14th, '09, 22:21

I started to read this at the first page. I think it is an interesting question. Some people went a bit off track. I could not read every page but I must say groink made me laugh. I'm with you when it comes to poi groink.

I skipped to the end because my eyes were giving out but I wanted to post anyway.
I was born in England on the borders of Wales. Moved at age seven to Shrewsbury in Shropshire and then at twelve moved to Staffordshire. Lived there until I was 25 and then came to US with my ex RAF English husband. Been here every since. Lived east coast.. west coast..middle west. and several states. Loved it all I think. Now retired in southern California. They call this area the California Riviera. I like the climate.

I am glad I was born in England when it was Great Britain and there was a smaller population. I am glad I was educated there because it was at that time a good system even in an all girls school. We respected teachers and we learned about all sorts of things and especially about geography. They don't seem to teach much geography here in US I think they changed to something called 'Social Studies'. No wonder people can't find other places on the map or globe. I was even asked years ago, is Wales an island and part of Ireland. .. this from someone who had spent time in college. Socially I was thought strange because I used a knife and fork to eat and didn't switch from one hand to the other. Weird people in NYC then. I later discovered that person was from Iowa and all he knew was basketball. I didn't argue..He was six foot six. However I loved NYC. It was our first place to see and live right on Madison Avenue.
Then to North Jersey which was real country then. Loved it.

Well I have lived in many places in US and liked them all. I am happy to be here.I am happy to be a citizen for the past fifty odd years. I would not want to go back to England now. It is not 'my England' these days but I would never hate the land in which I was born.I love it still. Many wonderful people lived and accomplished great things in the English history.
I would not allow anyone to insult England in my presence while here in US and I would never allow anyone to insult US when I am in England.

the world is a beautiful place and all countries have their own amazing places to see . Just not enough time in one life to see it all....

Peggy

hydeaway

Post by hydeaway » Jun 27th, '09, 08:25

with my growing-up mind, i thank to god that i was born there.

maybe, i will just say: i live in a wrong country XP

Rozenrot

Post by Rozenrot » Jun 29th, '09, 22:40

I was born in England and I'm proud to be English.
I know lots of people who wished they lived somewhere else and it does annoy me slightly. England is not that bad of a country. It could be worse, certain parts of the middle east are very oppressive of women for example. So I'm glad that I live in a country where women are deemed equal to men. I'm especially proud to live in the country that created metal music, yes that right, not 'europe', England! Althrough the UK has faults, I don't think anywhere in the world is 'perfect'. It would depend on the person.

MarkD

Post by MarkD » Jun 30th, '09, 01:08

No, except the winters can be a little too long here in Central New York. I did enjoy the years I spent in Japan, but being an outsider wears on on you after a while. It's different, with much good and some not so good. My wife is Japanese, so we live in both cultures, but our children are Americans, by birth and by choice.

I've been fortunate to have travelled quite a bit, and I've never been anywhere that had nothing going for it. I've never been to heaven, either. Every place is mostly what you make of it, with good and bad people.

A country with 300 million people can't have an Army of 710 million. What else do you know that is not true?

rpger81

Re: Do you really hate where your born that much??

Post by rpger81 » Jun 30th, '09, 01:33

kuro570 wrote:On most of my time of D-addicts I noticed I've seen quite a few profiles and where it says "Location" I would see comments like "Sadly U.S. or Canada and such" I've also seen many statements of the sorts in some forums and I'm wondering... are ppl truly that unhappy about being born where they're at? As much as I like Japanese culture I love my country and wouldn't become a Japanese citizen, the whole reason I study Japanese is to work for my country doing something I'm good at with a language I like. I just hate seeing ppl talk lowly about their own country while praising others that they've never been to and only seen and heard about on TV or online.
[/b]
Sorry but too many pages to read so I'll just post my thoughts :P

Well the location means just where you are currently, doesn't necessarily mean they were born there. I was born in Japan (Yokosuka-shi, Kanagawa-ken), and when I was a kid I was very embarrassed to tell people where I was born.

It made it even more weird because I am not Japanese by blood (father was just stationed there 'cus of US Army) but I am half Asian. "Oh you're Japanese then!" yadda yadda. Was a pain trying to explain to people who are ignorant to such things, especially the kids that were my age.

Of course now I'm not embarrassed where I was born, and I love the US. I'm an American and that's not gonna change. People compare western countries to Asian ones due to their fascinations (maybe a bad word, hopefully you get my meaning) and want to go live there, which is fine. But you'll soon find out, at the bottom of all things, that it's pretty similar and not that super special.

revenantsoul

Post by revenantsoul » Jun 30th, '09, 01:43

I think, maybe unlike most people, I do dislike where I live. It hasn't always been like this for me though ... and it has nothing really to do with my interest in Asian culture. I have found, over the years, that I really don't share the same ideals, beliefs, or personal politics as most of my countrymen. As I evolved as a person, became exposed to other ways of thinking, believing, and seeing the world - as well as my own personal realizations about the kind of life I'd like to live - I began to realize that I really wanted to explore a different way of life.

It has only been in the past 5 years that I have been seriously researching where I would like to live. I have friends all over the world and I have learned a lot about different places, pros and cons ... and I think within the next year or so I will end up leaving the country I was born in. I won't be moving to Japan. However, I would like to visit it someday.

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Jun 30th, '09, 02:09

I was about to make a serious and thoughtful post on this subject when I was distracted by a whore and an alcoholic slinging abuse at a couple of Kurdish lads right outside my window.

WHORE: You want business?
KURD: No, no, sorry.
WHORE: Well, have you got a fag then?
KURD: No, I not smoke.
WHORE: (something incomprehensible)
KURD: You go away now!
WHORE: Who the f--k are you telling to f--kin go away you bastard? F--k off!
KURD: What? You f--k off!
WHORE: What you saying? Come on, then, you Paki c--t!
KURD: (something in Arabic)
WHORE: What the f--k are you saying? Come on you Paki twat, I'll f--kin 'ave you meself!
DRUNK: Oi, oi, you... you f--kin foreigners shouldn't talk to our women like that!
KURD: Oh, f*** you too! You just a drunk! You smell like piss!
DRUNK: Do what? F--k off you c--t! Get your f--kin 'ead kicked in you will!

Then the traffic lights changed, and the Kurdish guy drove off, leaving the whore and the alkie to walk off together muttering racist abuse.

It's not England I hate. It's not Britain, not even the world.

The world would be so beautiful, if only it wasn't for all the humans.

LOL!

Joe1991

Post by Joe1991 » Jun 30th, '09, 02:40

I love being English, and a Londoner. But I'm still extremely excited to be moving to live in Japan in two weeks!!! :D I'm glad I never got sucked into the blind Japan worship that seems to plague a lot of people and while I do adore the countries culture I also recognise that it has plenty of problems and is by no means perfect. No country is.

Elizabethein

Post by Elizabethein » Jun 30th, '09, 04:24

I live in NYC! I love living here because of the transportation (subway), without it I would have a lot of trouble, but I would survive ;) Anyways I have only traveled to Ecuador because that's were my whole family is from and I love it there also. Even though I was born in the US I spoke Spanish first and lived in Ecuador for 3-4 years right after I was born, but when I went to school I eventually learned English and now I am fluent in English, Spanish and some French. So therefor I want to visit France sometime and also Japan just because I want to visit these places for I while but in the end I still want to live where I am living now b/cus I have grown accustomed to my life here, so I love it here! :D

Hanazawa-Jrui

Post by Hanazawa-Jrui » Jun 30th, '09, 09:26

i think maybe its because after the internet boomed, so many people started to have access to a lot of different types of cultures and media (this site is a perfect example) before this no body would know, unless of course they traveled, but its not like being somewhere for a month will expose you to much media...but now some people have been exclusively online and watching other countries medias for 4-5 years. there is always going to be different types of people anywhere you go . maybe some in canada/USA just feel they belong somewhere else. the world is slowly becoming connected

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Jun 30th, '09, 21:29

XrayZ wrote:I was about to make a serious and thoughtful post on this subject when I was distracted by a whore and an alcoholic slinging abuse at a couple of Kurdish lads right outside my window.

WHORE: You want business?
WHORE: What the f--k are you saying? Come on you Paki twat, I'll f--kin 'ave you meself!
DRUNK: Oi, oi, you... you f--kin foreigners shouldn't talk to our women like that!

Then the traffic lights changed, and the Kurdish guy drove off, leaving the whore and the alkie to walk off together muttering racist abuse.

It's not England I hate. It's not Britain, not even the world.

The world would be so beautiful, if only it wasn't for all the humans.

LOL!
Lmfao That put a smile on my face ^.^

Pokioki

Post by Pokioki » Jul 11th, '09, 23:36

I don't hate my country. I love the US. I've visited China and Japan. And even though I had oodles of fun, I still missed the US very much while traveling.

I LOVE the city I was born in. Boston rules! <3

groink

Post by groink » Jul 12th, '09, 02:43

XrayZ wrote:WHORE: You want business?
We are the world!
We are the children!
We are the ones who make a brighter day, so...
BANG!!!!!!!!

--- groink

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jul 12th, '09, 03:41

Not really. This country is beautiful if you know where to look, and the people are kind. If you look at the wrong places though (like the news and the government), I won't blame you for not liking this place.

Right now, I really want to leave because I've not gone abroad before, ever.

Mabuhay Philippines. :P

dabogy

it is beautiful

Post by dabogy » Jul 14th, '09, 12:29

it is beautiful, yes, but it is still a 3rd world country. I really wanted to earn alot.. =)

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jul 15th, '09, 12:46

I get the feeling that we are from the same country. :w00t:

3rd World country...That's a fact that won't change for a long, long, time.

I want to earn a lot too. It's not going to be easy studying and working abroad though... and Japan is the country that comes to mind. I'm interested in the culture and they're one of the best in technological advancements (I'm studying electronics and communications).

mele90

Post by mele90 » Jul 22nd, '09, 16:05

i like where i live, i just take it for granted. I was once asked online by someone who wanted to travel to Australia which are the best places to visit but i couldn't think of anything mind-boggling good. But i do realise i am in a comfortable lifestyle and will always call Australia home, i just desire to travel to alot of countries in Europe and Asia, maybe live somewhere else for a while

Goodnessgracious

Post by Goodnessgracious » Jul 23rd, '09, 17:16

I love my country a lot. It is far from perfect and our politicians are complete retards (I hope I won't go to prison for saying that), but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else besides Russia. I have spent a few years in England and it made me realise that there is no better place than home. I still like to travel though and I would like to experience different cultures while I am still young, but eventually I am planning to settle down in my native country.

Ruka707

Post by Ruka707 » Jul 24th, '09, 15:06

I live in Hungary, and I absolutely love it. :wub:
It's such a beautiful country, although much of the world doesn't seem to know about it.

But I hate to live here... because of the people. :glare:
Like Goodnessgracious said: our politicians are complete retards too.