Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
littlefreeze

Post by littlefreeze » May 1st, '09, 08:43

Hey! So I started watching J-Drama a while ago, but didn't get into it until I moved to Japan. Any suggestions on drama with a girl who's male best friend is in love with her and he ACTUALLY gets the girl?

I don't mind knowing that spoiler because I'm tired of the best friend not getting the girl..... but if you wanna prevent spoiling things for people.... you can e-mail me suggestions to giggle_pixie@yahoo.com or just PM me.

j_evenstar

Post by j_evenstar » May 1st, '09, 09:46

may i also add tiger and dragon by nagase tomoya. i've learned a lot of japanese culture from watching that.

CP93

Post by CP93 » May 2nd, '09, 04:23

I loved Kuitan and Trick (but thought Galileo was meh).
Also loved Nodame Cantabile (Swing Girls was good too) and Blue Bird (青い鳥).

Any recommendations?

(PS: I'm trying to d/l Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi, but there are no seeds for some eps.)
Last edited by CP93 on May 4th, '09, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

donburi

Post by donburi » May 2nd, '09, 15:21

I am looking for new recommendations to watch!

So far I have liked:
-Kimi wa Petto
-Hana Kimi (both J and TW versions)
-Hana Yori Dango
-Maou

I was neutral on:
-Rookies
-Hachimitsu to Koroba

I like romance and comedy best. I hate sad dramas.

dabogy

Post by dabogy » May 4th, '09, 18:05

GTO and Densha Otoko are my favs so far. Gonna check out some of the recommendations here. Hopefully we have the same taste :D
Last edited by dabogy on May 5th, '09, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

GuyaneseG

Post by GuyaneseG » May 5th, '09, 17:16

I'm also looking for some new j-drama to watch.
I've only started to watch j-drama a couple weeks now.
But so far I've seen:

Zettai Kareshi (Absolute Boyfriend)
Rookies
Bloody Monday
Mei-chan no Shitsuji

Any recommendations?

Matthaios

Post by Matthaios » May 5th, '09, 23:29

@ donburi - Check out Prodai(Proposal Daisakusen). I think based on your criteria, you would enjoy that.

@ GuyaneseG - Thats a pretty eclectic mix of doramas youve seen so far. Is there a specific type of dorama you want to watch? I have tons of recommendations, but if you give me some criteria or a genre I can find something youll enjoy more.

dabogy

Post by dabogy » May 6th, '09, 00:20

Just watched some Nodame Cantabile. AWESOME! :cheers:

non-angelical

Post by non-angelical » May 6th, '09, 02:26

@Matthaios, Oh, then may I ask for recommendation too?
I've pretty much watch all kinds of drama in all kinds of genre. I like most of them (regardless of the genre), as long as it's not spooky. I think what I look is...the contents of the story.

I've enjoyed:
satorare, innocent love, iryu, bara no nai hanaya, akai ito, triangle, pride, nobuta wo produce, densha otoko, etc.

I got to warn you, I've watch most 'basic' (and some non-basic) dramas. So, do you have any suggestion?

Matthaios

Post by Matthaios » May 6th, '09, 02:55

@non-angelical - I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Ive watched quite a few and am also looking for something new to watch. I've seen all the ones you mentioned except akai ito and triangle, so maybe I will check those out, but here are some of my personal recommendations for you. Since you say you've see most of the common ones, I will list the common ones in case you havent seen them, and some more obscure ones that you might like based on content of story.

1 Litre of tears
Last Friends
Nobuta wo Produce
Orange Days
Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu
Beautiful Life
Haken no Hinkaku
Karei naru Ichizoku
Pride

If you need to narrow any of those down or want more selection let me know. These are some of my personal favorites that I think have good story lines. Let me know what you think.

non-angelical

Post by non-angelical » May 6th, '09, 03:15

All of those are checked already. Not quite satisfied with Karei Nazu Ichizoku though :-( Oh, and probably to narrow it down, I've seen all drama by Kimura Takuya, Ninomiya Kazunari, Yamashita Tomohisa, and Nishikido Ryo.

Matthaios

Post by Matthaios » May 6th, '09, 03:25

Hmmm...I'm guessing we really are in the same boat, but you might have seen more than I have. How about...Koi ga Shitai, Unfair, Bokue Dake no Madonna, H2, Summer Snow, or Tokyo Friends?

While were at it, maybe I should ask you for some suggestions, or anyone else that might want to chime in. Here is a link to most of the doramas I've seen. There is an X by the ones I finished and S by the ones I stopped watching in the Done column. The ones that don't have anything, I am either currently watching or debating if I should finish or not.
http://public.sheet.zoho.com/public/mlew122/jdorama

non-angelical

Post by non-angelical » May 6th, '09, 04:34

I'm checking Koi ga Shitai! the others...have been checked too :cry:

Oh, the ones on your list, why did you hesitate to continue? Was it because you found them boring? I personally like code blue, voice, mei-chan no shitsuji, and galileo from those in the s-list.

This season I'm watching God Hand Teru, you might want to check it if you like Iryu and code blue. And Majo Saiba looks promising.

The one on your list (that hasn't been s-ed or x-ed), I like Kisarazu Cat's Eye, innocent love, love generation, and change.

And to suggest some....ones that I really like:
Ryusei no Kizuna, Maou, Haikei, Chichue-sama, Yasashi Jiikan (but the last 2 started out pretty slow), tokyo wankei

The ok ones:
love revolution, Lunch Queen (Lunch no Jouou), last christmas, Itoshi kimi e.

The I'm not sure people would like it as much as I do ones:
Uta no Oniisan, Himitsu no Hanazono

Proudlikeagod

Post by Proudlikeagod » May 6th, '09, 05:07

Are there any good new romantic comedies? Ive seen most of the older ones

xploring

Post by xploring » May 6th, '09, 06:33

Many people had a great time watching Love Shuffle recently, may be you can try it.

Proudlikeagod

Post by Proudlikeagod » May 6th, '09, 16:22

Thanks ill start watching it

mivanx77

Post by mivanx77 » May 7th, '09, 03:04

Damn, I just finished Densha Otoko. Man, was it a great drama, if not one of the best. It was soo good, im probably saying that since I can relate to it a bit. Other than that, whats another good drama, I was thinking of switching it up, between love story ones so I don't get sick of them. Now im going to watch some Kurosagi.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » May 7th, '09, 03:25

@mivanx77: Switching up dramas is good. Densha Otoko is a very good drama. But watching Kurosagi next is not really a way to go (I was disappointed with it overall). Perhaps, are you looking for mystery or action dramas? Or comedy story?

For comedy, I would recommend My Boss My Hero or Kekkon Dekinai Otoko.

For mystery (since Kurosagi is sort of in that area), I recommend Liar Game, Tantei Gakuen Q or Galileo.

For more recommendations, click on image below on my siggy. or here >> http://goldlilys.110mb.com/drama_col.html . I summarize what the story is about in 1-2 sentences. Hope that helps.

mivanx77

Post by mivanx77 » May 8th, '09, 03:36

garnet07 wrote:@mivanx77: Switching up dramas is good. Densha Otoko is a very good drama. But watching Kurosagi next is not really a way to go (I was disappointed with it overall). Perhaps, are you looking for mystery or action dramas? Or comedy story?

For comedy, I would recommend My Boss My Hero or Kekkon Dekinai Otoko.

For mystery (since Kurosagi is sort of in that area), I recommend Liar Game, Tantei Gakuen Q or Galileo.

For more recommendations, click on image below on my siggy. or here >> http://goldlilys.110mb.com/drama_col.html . I summarize what the story is about in 1-2 sentences. Hope that helps.
Thanks I appreciate it, I'm going to watch them and then get back to you on my feed back.

Utada

Post by Utada » May 10th, '09, 06:00

I have a queston. Do you know any good high school/romance? Something like Koizora or Smile? You know something more realistic?

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » May 10th, '09, 06:09

Utada, do you want doramas that have all 3 elements at once? (high school/romance/realistic)

Utada

Post by Utada » May 10th, '09, 07:59

charia-chan wrote:Utada, do you want doramas that have all 3 elements at once? (high school/romance/realistic)
yeah.

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » May 10th, '09, 08:01

That's a bit hart than...
Maybe Houkago?
Or Akai Ito, though I didn't watch all of it and can't say how realistic it is.

Utada

Post by Utada » May 10th, '09, 08:15

I watched Akai Ito, it's realistic, but I liked only the 5 first episodes. Houkago sounds interesting, thanks. ^^ I heard that Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu with Yamada Takayuki and Ayase Haruka is good.

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » May 10th, '09, 08:33

Ah, yes. it's good.
I completely forgot to add it because for me it's not so much high school but you're right, they are actually in high school.
Try it out.
And maybe 1 liter of tears?

Utada

Post by Utada » May 10th, '09, 08:59

I watched it. And Taiyou no Uta (it's not high shcool though). I also liked Tatta Hitotsu no Koi (it wasn't high school too). I noticed that in Japanese romances love is mostly tragic. And I enjoyed Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003 (which is weird, because I don't like teacher/student pairing).

quotie

Post by quotie » May 10th, '09, 15:29

I just recently started watching jap. dramas. Now I'm wondering if there are more subbed dramas with Fujiwara Norika. I'm having trouble finding subbed dramas with her, except with star no koi.

Would be nice if you could tell me which subbed dramas I could find here or somewhere else. Thanks in advance.

ik0n

Post by ik0n » May 10th, '09, 17:52

Hello again everyone,

school is going to be finish in few weeks (just exams left) so I'm trying to download some dramas for the summer vacation so I can watch on my free-time (most likely at night times since I'm always out or got work on the day time). I've seen quite a lot of series and I can't seem to find other good ones these days. But I'M very sure that there are great ones out-there. So here's a list of the dramas I've seen through the year or couple of months, I have no idea how long lol. Oh and please don't suggest something that's already in the list. All of these dramas are in my external hard-drive so I can watch em anytime, I know that I've seen a serie two or three times because it was that good. But yeah, let me know if you know any other good ones. Thank you in advance. :)

List below is pretty long so I put it inside a spoiler tag. :P
Kurosagi
Nobuta Wo Produce
Attention Please
Bambino
Bloody Monday
Dragon Zakura
Gachibaka!
Galcir
Gokusen 1, 2, 3
Great Teacher Onizuka
H2
Hana Yori Dango 1, 2
Honey and Clover
Mop Girl
My Boss My Hero
Rookies
Taiyo to Umi no Kyoshitsu
Yamada Taro Monogatari
Yasuko To Kenji
Tadashii Ouji no Tsukuri Kata
Galileo
Galileo Special
Yankee Bokou ni Kaeru
Akai Ito
Brother Beat
Maou
Mei-chan no Shitsuji
Voice
Puzzle
Stand Up
Kimi Wa Pet
Tatta Hitotsu no Koi
Tokkyu Tanaka San Go
Celeb to Binbo Taro
Absolute Boyfriend (Zettai Kareshi)
Binbo Danshi
Code Blue
Densha Otoko
Hana Kimi
Innocent Love
Love Shuffle
Kami no Shizuku
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
One Pound Gospel
Q.E.D Shoumei Shuuryou
Ryusei no Kizuna
Sapuri
Shibatora
Tiger & Dragon
Utahime
Holy smokes, I just realized that's a lot of drama lmfao. And I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two that's probably in my other HD (which I dont have it with me at the moment.) Anyways, yeah there we go that's my list. So hook me up guys and girls. :D lol.

egghead

Post by egghead » May 11th, '09, 20:34

can sumone please give me a run down on Beautiful Life?

Cheers

Moodilic

Post by Moodilic » May 12th, '09, 10:47

egghead wrote:can sumone please give me a run down on Beautiful Life?

Cheers
Beautfiful Life

Synopsis
Kyoko, a young woman with an unhindered spirit despite being physically bound to a wheelchair due to illness, and Shuji, a stylish and popular fashion magazine hairstylist, are brought together in a fateful traffic incident. Despite their confrontational meeting, they soon find themselves falling in love, with Shuji drawn to her courage and enthusiasm and Kyoko attracted to his ability to look beyond her physical limitations and into her heart. However, Kyoko's protective older brother and her worsening condition begin to test the bounds of their love for each other and threaten to end their beautiful life together.

angel333

Post by angel333 » May 12th, '09, 19:44

I would recommend Galileo and SP from detective dramas
My all time favorite is Good give me more time, and Strawbery on a Shortcake

Can somebody recommend very good dramas similar to Galileo and SP

darkliquids2

Post by darkliquids2 » May 14th, '09, 04:08

Ikon,
try ashita no kita yoshio,
and a comedy: shikaotoko aoniyoshi

kkwan

Post by kkwan » May 14th, '09, 05:16

yeah so, I never really wanted to do this cause it seems troublesome to others, but I'm running low on things to watch and I'm kinda sad about it.

I really really love Medical Dramas, they make my heart race. The ones I watched and liked are: Voice, Satorare (even though those two aren't all that medical), Code Blue, Iryu (ALL TIME FAVORITE)

I also really like school dramas: Queen's Classroom, ROOKIES, Hana Kimi, GTO, Gokusen, Hana Yori Dango

eh...there are more somewhere, those are just the ones off the top of my head. I really don't mind what kinda dramas I watch I just find myself liking those the most

Thanks guys

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » May 14th, '09, 05:28

Medical Drama:
Say Hello to Black Jack/Black Jack ni yoroshiku
A currently airing one would be Godhand Teru

jnara

my recommended japanese drama

Post by jnara » May 15th, '09, 23:11

This is one of the best jdrama i've seen:

Karei naru Ichizoku aka The Grand Tribe

Synopsis

Originally a novel by Yamazaki Toyoko, and later a 1974 movie, Karei naru Ichizoku depicts the conflicts within the Manpyo family, famous in Kansai's financial circles, amidst the tumultuous reorganization of the financial industry of the late 1960s. Unlike the book, the eldest son, Teppei, and not the father, Daisuke, is the central character of the drama.

This drama is set in the late 1960s decade of Japan and depicts the rivalry between Manpyo Daisuke (Kitaoji Kinya), a powerful banker, and his eldest son, Manpyo Teppei (Kimura Takuya), the executive managing director of a steel firm. For reasons not yet entirely clear, Daisuke seems to dislike his own son and when Teppei finds out why, the Manpyo family is turned upside down.

Sakura^^

Post by Sakura^^ » May 17th, '09, 10:36

I just finished watching Star No Koi and really enjoyed it. (I thought it was so sweet!)

Can anyone recommend another J Drama that I might like. Particularly a romance story or a drama featuring the Kusanagi Tsuyoshi or Fujiwara Norika...

naoko (^-^)

Post by naoko (^-^) » May 17th, '09, 11:57

hi there,
LOVE SHUFFLE is a must watch! I gave it a try without really tjinking about it and it's one of the best dramas I've watched so far. Sore ja mata :thumright:

xploring

Post by xploring » May 17th, '09, 12:06

Sakura^^ wrote:I just finished watching Star No Koi and really enjoyed it. (I thought it was so sweet!)

Can anyone recommend another J Drama that I might like. Particularly a romance story or a drama featuring the Kusanagi Tsuyoshi or Fujiwara Norika...
Maybe Satorare?

Sakura^^

Post by Sakura^^ » May 17th, '09, 12:13

Thanks so much, Naoko and Xploring!! I will give those ones a try ^^

Sakura^^

Post by Sakura^^ » May 17th, '09, 12:14

Thanks so much, Naoko and Xploring!! I will give those ones a try ^^

naoko (^-^)

Post by naoko (^-^) » May 17th, '09, 12:20

you're welcome. Enjoy ;-)

Zion12467

Post by Zion12467 » May 18th, '09, 23:00

Hi all...

I'm looking for a commendation on a drama with a super badass/hardcore main character. On the verge of being a bad guy or villain. Maybe even something where in the end the bad guy wins or something along those lines.

Thanks

groink

Post by groink » May 18th, '09, 23:32

Zion12467 wrote:I'm looking for a commendation on a drama with a super badass/hardcore main character. On the verge of being a bad guy or villain. Maybe even something where in the end the bad guy wins or something along those lines.
This is very un-Japanese in terms of TV dramas. The closest I've seen to this is Out Limit starring Kishitani Goro, but I don't think English subtitles are available. Another would be Time Limit starring Takenouchi Yutaka. I have this with English hard subtitles (it aired on KIKU back in 2004 I think), so it may have found its way onto the Internet.

Others that may fall in this genre:

- Double Score (Sorimachi Takashi)
- Abunai Deka (Tachi Hiroshi & Shibata Kyohei)
- Great Teacher Onizuka (well, maybe not, but the main char has the attitude of a badass)

--- groink

teri0607

Post by teri0607 » May 19th, '09, 01:15

Can anyone suggest a comedy jdrama similar to hana kimi? :)

I've just finished Mei Chan no Shitsuji and Seigi no Mikata.

Thanks so much! :)

Proudlikeagod

Post by Proudlikeagod » May 20th, '09, 04:41

I just finished Love Shuffle and found it extremely entertaining. Can anyone suggest another good new romance/comedy? If not just suggest some new dramas that are worth watching.

howtwosavealif3

Post by howtwosavealif3 » May 20th, '09, 14:17

NOTE please do not mention anything about the plot of the drama in my list or the one you want to recommend. I like going in COMPLETELY BLIND. Reading summaries,etc justruins it andmakes it boring to watch.

What I want is a really GOOD drama that's not melodramatic ie. 14 sai,b loody monday, hana yori dango,maou (not to offend I justwant recommmendations) by all means I enjoyed them to a certain extent minus the melodrama but... i'm just no into melodrama.

I LVOED last friends and nobuta wo produce.

plan to watch:
proposal daisakusen プロポーズ大作戦
gokusen 1 2 3 ごくせん
My Boss, My Hero マイ★ボス マイ★ヒーロー
GTO
絶対彼氏
1 Liter of Tears
Hanazakari no Kimitachi e
densha otoko 電車男
nodame canatbile のだめカンタービレ
joou no kyoushitsu 女王の教室
tantei gakuen q
watashitachi no kyoukasho
LIFE
saito-san 斉藤さん
結婚できない男 kekkon dekinai otoko
ハケンの品格 haken no hinkaku
結婚できないおとこ
Galileo

Moodilic

Post by Moodilic » May 20th, '09, 15:20

howtwosavealif3 wrote:NOTE please do not mention anything about the plot of the drama in my list or the one you want to recommend. I like going in COMPLETELY BLIND. Reading summaries,etc justruins it andmakes it boring to watch.

What I want is a really GOOD drama that's not melodramatic ie. 14 sai,b loody monday, hana yori dango,maou (not to offend I justwant recommmendations) by all means I enjoyed them to a certain extent minus the melodrama but... i'm just no into melodrama.

plan to watch:
gokusen 1 2 3 ごくせん
GTO
絶対彼氏
1 Liter of Tears
densha otoko 電車男
joou no kyoushitsu 女王の教室
tantei gakuen q
LIFE
saito-san 斉藤さん
ハケンの品格 haken no hinkaku
結婚できないおとこ
Galileo
GTO, Gokusen HanaKimi and Kekkon Dekinai Otoko are very good dramas. About the melodramatic part, well there may be some of it, but not that it ruins the whole thing.

Yigytugd

Post by Yigytugd » May 22nd, '09, 02:57

Ok I haven't watched any new JDrama in a while (been trying to watch Anime and finish some other shows (Gokusen S3) and I want to watch a high school show like Stand Up!! That is one of my favorite JDrama and I would love to have another show like it. I have seen Water Boys S1 but Stand Up!! was better in comedy and drama.

Please help me find a good show guys.

darkliquids2

Post by darkliquids2 » May 22nd, '09, 17:35

Currently watching a school drama Seito Shokun-the main actress is very good and hot. As far as the story goes I don't think it's that much different from GTO or gokusen.

Anyways any recommendation from stuff currently airing? (i did check out Ata...something danshi already)

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » May 22nd, '09, 23:13

Currently I'm watching some really good new dramas that are still in progress of airing so far I love these.

Yukemuri Sniper starring Endo Kenichi, I love the adult theme to it since its a real step away from the kiddy emo school dramas other dramas currently airing. I also love the opening of each episode showing him assassinating ppl. I can't wait for episode 6 >.<

Yako no Kaidan starring Fujiki Naohito, This is a really great drama as well but unlike Yukemuri Sniper it feels far less original in the sense that it feels just a bit like Taiyou no kisetsu. One more thing that I hate is how easily he wraps his rich customers around his fingers with a smile and sweet words then turning into an ass back to sweet.

Boss starring Amami Yuki, She fits her role nicely and although its not a dark detective series its still pretty good. I just hope it doesn't become llike Galileo and lose its steam at the end.

iluvasiandrama

Recommend dramas for me to watch please

Post by iluvasiandrama » May 23rd, '09, 00:21

Please recommend dramas for me to watch...I have already seen

You are my destiny
Worlds Within
Kingdom of the Winds
My precious you
Boys Before Flowers (kdrama)
Full House
Akai Ito
Nodame Cantabile
Hana Kimi

I particularly like the high school type dramas. Please recommend more of these type of jdrama or kdrama for me to watch.

Thanks bunches! :thumleft:

groink

Post by groink » May 23rd, '09, 00:23

RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE JDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_10409.htm

iluvasiandrama

Please recommend dramas for me to watch...I have already see

Post by iluvasiandrama » May 23rd, '09, 00:29

Please recommend dramas for me to watch...I have already seen

You are my destiny
Worlds Within
Kingdom of the Winds
My precious you
Full House
Akai Ito
Nodame Cantabile
Hana Kimi

I particularly like the high school type dramas. Please recommend more of these type of cdrama, jdrama or kdrama for me to watch.

Thanks bunches! :thumright:

Moodilic

Post by Moodilic » May 23rd, '09, 01:46

Yigytugd wrote:Ok I haven't watched any new JDrama in a while (been trying to watch Anime and finish some other shows (Gokusen S3) and I want to watch a high school show like Stand Up!! That is one of my favorite JDrama and I would love to have another show like it. I have seen Water Boys S1 but Stand Up!! was better in comedy and drama.

Please help me find a good show guys.
Then I can recommend GTO. High school drama (lots of it, haha). More than that I will not reveal. Read the plot, download and be "awesomized" by it :D.

ayaseharukaftw

Re: Please recommend dramas for me to watch...I have already

Post by ayaseharukaftw » May 23rd, '09, 01:47

iluvasiandrama wrote:Please recommend dramas for me to watch...I have already seen

You are my destiny
Worlds Within
Kingdom of the Winds
My precious you
Full House
Akai Ito
Nodame Cantabile
Hana Kimi

I particularly like the high school type dramas. Please recommend more of these type of cdrama, jdrama or kdrama for me to watch.

Great Teacher Onizuka
Orange Days
Hana Yori Dango
Stand Up!!
Gakko ja Oshierarenai
Nobuta wo Produce

You might give Gokusen a try since it seems to be popular. I didn't like it though, too repetitive

Moodilic

Re: Please recommend dramas for me to watch...I have already

Post by Moodilic » May 23rd, '09, 01:50

iluvasiandrama wrote:Please recommend dramas for me to watch...I have already seen

You are my destiny
Worlds Within
Kingdom of the Winds
My precious you
Full House
Akai Ito
Nodame Cantabile
Hana Kimi

Also GTO for you, hehe and Hana Yori Dango, the japanese one, also very good.
There's also Gokusen (season 1, 2 and 3), all high school dramas and fights, somewhat "sissy" sometimes but what a heck, it can be enjoyed :-) .

Tammy88

Post by Tammy88 » May 25th, '09, 05:38

Can someone recommend me some new dramas? Preferably comedy shows and newer shows (i don't quite like the older dramas)

Dramas i have watched and enjoyed:
Hana Kimi
My Boss My Hero
Nobuta wo Produce
Dragon Zakura
Proposal Daisakusen
Yasuko to Kenji
Engine
Change
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko

I have also watched other dramas, but didn't quite like them. So, i didn't list them.

Thanks for your help :)

rezo

Post by rezo » May 25th, '09, 14:30

Seigi no Mikata, I guess?

Check the people who wrote the scripts for the shows you like in the wiki. The team behind Nobuta wo Produce also wrote Suika and Sexy Voice and Robo and its easy to notice their style, so you might enjoy those.(Suika's the best one, but possibly least appealing to younger demographics). Other writers are all over the place though.

BlazingSkies

Post by BlazingSkies » May 26th, '09, 19:42

can anyone recommended a drama that is like proposal daisakusen

im looking for a plot with:
guy has a best friend that has a boyfriend
guy loves the girl who has a boyfriend

ANY drama like that?

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » May 28th, '09, 12:32

^--I love triangle? That's fairly common. I think it's harder to find a romance-series without one.

I'll go ahead and toss out Orange Days. The triangle is a pretty minor element and occurs pretty late in the story, but if you haven't seen it yet... ya' really need to.

*ahem*

While I'm at it, I'd love a recommendation myself. I've been out of the loop recently--anything good I should check out? As long as it's something well-made/acted I'm game for it (excluding formulaic titles--like Gokusen, or Yasuko to Kenji).

I think the last drama I really, really liked was Seigi no Mikata.

zizzle_stick

Post by zizzle_stick » May 28th, '09, 13:00

howtwosavealif3 wrote:NOTE please do not mention anything about the plot of the drama in my list or the one you want to recommend. I like going in COMPLETELY BLIND. Reading summaries,etc justruins it andmakes it boring to watch.

plan to watch:
gokusen 1 2 3 ごくせん
GTO
絶対彼氏
1 Liter of Tears
densha otoko 電車男
joou no kyoushitsu 女王の教室
tantei gakuen q
LIFE
saito-san 斉藤さん
ハケンの品格 haken no hinkaku
結婚できないおとこ
Galileo
if you don't want melodrama, i suggest you take out one litre of tears and life. i'm recommending proposal daisakusen, hana kimi, my boss my hero, and orange days.

but about one litre of tears... lots of people say it's good. i've never tried to watch it, though, so i don't know if my suggestion counts. it's just too dramatic for me, see.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » May 28th, '09, 13:41

Well I completely finished Hana Kimi and Nobuta wo produce.

Hana Kimi - Ashiya Mizuki's character was extremely annoying...following Sano around like a leech it was too much to digest and it actually took me about 3-4 days to finish it completely. I enjoyed the comedy and animated acting skills especially by Nakatsu and the "dorm wars" were hilarious! For that alone it was a good movie. Ashiya was just too annoying.

Nobuta wo produce - Not quite what I expected. Akira's acting seemed "forced" and didnt come natural. This drama was "OK"

I tried watching the jversion of Boys Before Flowers and I just couldn't get into it. Having watched the kversion first is the reason why. To me, the kversion is just top notch!

Nodame Cantabile, Akai Ito and Boys over Flowers (korean version) are the best so far.

BlazingSkies

Post by BlazingSkies » May 31st, '09, 08:13

BlazingSkies wrote:can anyone recommended a drama that is like proposal daisakusen

im looking for a plot with:
guy has a best friend that has a boyfriend
guy loves the girl who has a boyfriend

ANY drama like that?
i just saw orange days.. i did not like the idea of deaf girl... =/
and i saw nobuta no produce ep 1... HATED the guy -_-

i like the main guy to be nerdy and cool and stuff and NICE

anything like that plus what i said before?

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » May 31st, '09, 15:14

You finish Orange Days? I didn't care much for the concept, myself, but by the end I loved it.

If you want nerdy AND cool, I can really only think of one actor that can pull that off... Abe Hiroshi. Pretty much all of his shows are top-tier, but he doesn't do the "nice" so much. (think gruff, kind of like Toshiro Mifune. Not saying Abe compares to Mifune, but if anyone does.....

Well, anyway, in terms of love-triangles, maybe try checking out Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. He's nerdy and cool, and there's a bit of a triangle/square thing going on. Generally speaking, though, those three concepts you're looking for are kind of antithetical.

There's also Hero, a really good lawyer-drama, with a whole host of romantic subplots I won't even bother to outline because it'll seem too confusing.

I'll also recommend Egao no Housoku and Trick, while I'm at it. Everyone needs to see Trick.

Yigytugd

Post by Yigytugd » May 31st, '09, 18:57

Well I finally take some advice from this thread and found Gakko ja Oshierarenai! and I have to say that it is a great High School show. Stand Up!! is better in my opinion but Gakko ja Oshierarenai! is still a great show. I am on Ep 4 now and it just gets better and better.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » May 31st, '09, 19:01

zizzle_stick wrote: but about one litre of tears... lots of people say it's good. i've never tried to watch it, though, so i don't know if my suggestion counts. it's just too dramatic for me, see.
How can you say a series is too dramatic if you haven't watched it? Give it a chance before knocking it off.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 1st, '09, 15:11

Well...I finished kimi wa petto and I have to add this to my A list. Wow! The relationship chemistry and kissing scenes were passionate....hmmm... never seen this kind of chemistry in any Asian drama so far. I guess there are more out there like this one.

I am starting on Bambino! now.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 2nd, '09, 19:56

Can someone recommend me a few romance with comedy drama from 2007-2009? All of the ones I am viewing are kind of old. Is there anything newer? Has anyone seen Mirai Koshi Meguru? How is it? Thanks !

yopakfu

Post by yopakfu » Jun 2nd, '09, 23:59

I just watched Stand Up!! and it was great. Can someone recommend me more drama's like this? You know, about a bunch of friends, falling in love, going to beaches & holidays, comedy etc. I already watched these with similar themes:

- Kizarazu Cat's Eyes
- Proposal Daisakusen
- Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2
- Orange Days
- Water Boys

pyxee

Post by pyxee » Jun 3rd, '09, 00:28

iluvasiandrama wrote:Can someone recommend me a few romance with comedy drama from 2007-2009? All of the ones I am viewing are kind of old. Is there anything newer? Has anyone seen Mirai Koshi Meguru? How is it? Thanks !
You said you liked Love triangles too, right? Maybe you should give Love Shuffle a try? That show is nothing but Love triangles and squares. I also think that the romance scenes are much more believable than in most dramas I have seen.

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Jun 3rd, '09, 10:32

kuro570 wrote:
zizzle_stick wrote: but about one litre of tears... lots of people say it's good. i've never tried to watch it, though, so i don't know if my suggestion counts. it's just too dramatic for me, see.
How can you say a series is too dramatic if you haven't watched it? Give it a chance before knocking it off.
I feel the same way as Zizzle.

It may indeed be a great drama, but from what I gather, it's also very emotional--and not the happy kind. Orange Days was about as depressing as I could take, and only because it had a happy ending. From what I've heard, One Litre of Tears does not have that happy ending.

So... too dramatic. Too sad. Not gonna watch it.
iluvasiandrama wrote:Can someone recommend me a few romance with comedy drama from 2007-2009? All of the ones I am viewing are kind of old. Is there anything newer? Has anyone seen Mirai Koshi Meguru? How is it? Thanks !
Mirai Koshi Meguru was... well, pretty bad to me. Part of that may be because it aired concurrently with another drama with a nearly-identical premise that was much, much better.

That much, much better drama would be Mop Girl. It's not the best, but it's pretty good and a lot of fun to watch.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jun 5th, '09, 04:39

Thanks for the recommends... I managed to watch a little more than half of the first episode of Bambino! That was all I could stand to watch...just couldn't follow it. On to the next drama!

@ Mwulf - Cant seem to get a successful download of mirai koshi meguru. I will keep trying. I will start downloading Mop Girl.

@ Pyxee - That was someone else wanting love triangle...not me. I prefer comedy/romance drama...I am not too big on triangles tho. But I will give Love Shuffle a try.

Any other suggestions anyone???

TIA

darkliquids2

Post by darkliquids2 » Jun 5th, '09, 04:58

1 litre of tears -it is very sad, and i thought it was very beautiful overall-but not very realistic to be honest. i do recommend you watch it because even in today's movies/media it is rare to see such family/human closeness..... idealistic, or not.

i am watching Musashi- it has the same sort of appeal to me as Zatoichi: so far i've seen about 4 episodes and i'm liking it-decent acting. i just hope it keeps up the same pace all the way to the end (almost 50 eps)

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jun 5th, '09, 15:08

hey all. i'm running out of dramas to watch too. i watch some that are currently airing, but they're still being subbed, so i'm looking for some to watch while waiting. i prefer dramas that make me feel good or even make me laugh while watching it. i've watched quite a number already. these are the comedies/romantic comedies I liked:

-my boss, my hero
-hotaru no hikari (i really really loved this)
-love shuffle
-hana kimi
-hana yori dango

well, there are many more, but i don't want my post to be long. i learn how to use the spoiler tag after posting this. :)
PS i just fell in love with ayase haruka

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Jun 5th, '09, 19:39

cantaboy wrote:hey all. i'm running out of dramas to watch too. i watch some that are currently airing, but they're still being subbed, so i'm looking for some to watch while waiting. i prefer dramas that make me feel good or even make me laugh while watching it. i've watched quite a number already. these are the comedies/romantic comedies I liked:

-my boss, my hero
-hotaru no hikari (i really really loved this)
-love shuffle
-hana kimi
-hana yori dango

well, there are many more, but i don't want my post to be long. i learn how to use the spoiler tag after posting this. :)
PS i just fell in love with ayase haruka
Well, if you haven't seen Trick yet, you need too.

Also check out Kekkon Dekinai Otoko and Attention Please. IMHO, those are the three funniest dramas out there.

Seigi no Mikata is also really, really funny. And When I say really, really funny, I mean you'll be laughing so hard it will hurt. Really, really hurt.