Post by sahansah » Apr 6th, '09, 00:38

Title: 名探偵の掟
Title (romaji): Meitantei no Okite
Format: Renzoku
Genre: Detective, comedy
Broadcast network: TV Asahi
Broadcast period: 2009-Apr-17 start
Air time: Friday 23:15
Theme song: Fighting Pose no Uta by Baba Toshihide (馬場俊英)
Official Site: http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/meitantei/

Cast:
Matsuda Shota as Tenkaichi Daigoro
Kashii Yu as Fujii Mana
Kimura Yuichi as Okawara

Synopsis: The original writing is a short mystery collection that takes a humorous approach to many of the genre's cliches. Matsuda stars as the "famous detective" Tenkaichi Daigoro, while Kashii Yu plays the female lead as a rookie cop.

Source: Image and information taken from its drama wiki page. All credits to the fine people who keep the drama wiki running.

Hope its not too early for this thread but just want to drum up some enthusiasm for what sounds to be an interesting drama with Shota in the lead! I personally cannot wait for this drama.

Its based on a novel by Keigo Higashino and from wiki these are the previous novels he has written which have been converted into dramas or films:
Himitsu (Film, 1999 Original Title: Himitsu, 1998)
Lakeside Murdercase (Film, 2004 Original Title: Lakeside, 2002)
g@me (Film, 2003, Original Title: Game no na wa yūkai, 2002)
Tokio chichi he no dengon (TV Drama, 2004 Aug-Sep, Original Title: Tokio 2002)
Byakuyakō (2006)
Galileo (TV Drama, 2007 and TV Drama SP, 2008, Original Title: Tantei Galileo 1998 and Yochimu 2000)
Ryūsei no Kizuna (2008)
Yōgisya X no Kenshin (Film, October 2008)

So it seems the base material is from a writer of some repute. Hope this drama does well!
Last edited by sahansah on Sep 13th, '09, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Apr 6th, '09, 00:42

New Shota drama!!! hmmms...and the wife of OdaJoe. I personally like live-action dramas from novels/manga so this captures my interest. :)

londonsoul

Post by londonsoul » Apr 6th, '09, 00:56

I've got this on my to watch list. I hope it's good.

Makoto_

Post by Makoto_ » Apr 6th, '09, 09:22

Me too, I love the promo banner :)

saitojiyuu

Post by saitojiyuu » Apr 6th, '09, 12:46

yey!! another one from shota! :cheers:

looking forward to this... :D

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » Apr 6th, '09, 13:39

This seems to be a nice combination of actors and actresses...
and I like novels by Higashino, definitely looking forward to this one.

Maybayla

Post by Maybayla » Apr 6th, '09, 13:49

New Shota drama!!!!!!!!
Looking forward to this!!

wobblywalker

Post by wobblywalker » Apr 6th, '09, 14:20

Thanks for the info, I loved Galileo, definitely looking forward to this one! Shota is a cutie, what great news!
:cheers:

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Apr 7th, '09, 00:11

The one thing I like bout this drama is that from the Tokyograph article, which was quoted in the drama wiki page, it says that "the show is based on a 'parody mystery' work by award-winning author Keigo Higashino".

So this does sound like a fun little drama that Shota has chosen to truly star as the main lead in!

I so want this drama to do well because I think Shota is a really good actor and I'd like to see him as the main lead in alot more dramas in the future.

xtraordinarilynaked

Post by xtraordinarilynaked » Apr 7th, '09, 00:42

I love Matsuda Shota! :wub:
Am looking foward to this.

Sean

Post by Sean » Apr 24th, '09, 22:55

Will anyone be picking this show up for subbing?

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Apr 24th, '09, 23:17

^ Yup The good folks at Querbeet are - hard and soft subs with the hardsubs coming out first. Hope that helps 8)

jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda » Apr 25th, '09, 02:29

sahansah wrote:^ Yup The good folks at Querbeet are - hard and soft subs with the hardsubs coming out first. Hope that helps 8)
Thanks for the info!

Sean

Post by Sean » Apr 25th, '09, 12:21

Thanks for that. Glad to see they're picking the show up.

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Apr 25th, '09, 12:32

lilswtangel wrote:New Shota drama!!! hmmms...and the wife of OdaJoe.
I never think of her as OdaJoe's wife because of Linda Linda Linda. More like "Kei is in another drama!" I really loved that movie and she will always be Kei.

nell123

Post by nell123 » Apr 30th, '09, 10:42

I am really interested in this drama and can't wait to watch it.However, at the same time I feel a bit uneasy. Usually when I see a jdrama with a character who is described as "a rookie cop/detective/lawyer/ reporter" it is to be read as "total idiot". Especially if the character is a female. I would hate it if I am forced to drop another drama with Matsuda Shota :wub: because of stupid female characters (I stopped watching "Love Shuffle" because of that... :glare: )

Sean

Post by Sean » Apr 30th, '09, 16:58

Wow, you dropped Love Shuffle? I feel sorry for you, because it is pretty awesome. :P

myk_06

Post by myk_06 » Apr 30th, '09, 17:01

This series is really funny! I love it! haha!

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 1st, '09, 06:12

IMO so far ep. 3 is the best in parodying mystery dramas/novels, but ep. 7 is the funniest. As a mystery buff, I've an idea what trick was used in the novel and understand why they sort of side stepped the mystery solving/parody part and changed it instead into a complete farce. I got a real kick out of this episode's beginning theme (the one after the title) - you'll know if you're fan of a certain anime. :mrgreen:

Not for everyone but IMO if you like mysteries, the Monty Python type of humor or something off the wall, then you'll most likely enjoy this. First 2 episodes were not very good; everything really came together from ep. 3 onwards (it helped that ep. 3, 4, & 7 were handled by one of the directors of Mop Girl). Matsuda Shota appropriately overacts (as required for his character) and both he and Kashii Yu showed good comedic timing. The sound effect was very well done and complements the show perfectly (as is the score and choice of music). Currently this is my second 'most looking foward to' drama series every week, behind Shiroi Haru.

Maybayla

Post by Maybayla » Jun 1st, '09, 20:29

zettaiKaren

you made me :D

the first 2 ep. were not very good but i am waiting ep.3

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Jun 1st, '09, 20:32

Episode 3 is just awesome. I loved it. The best so far. And if the others are all good like that... The show will be one of my favs~~ *____*
:wub:

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 2nd, '09, 19:45

Karo wrote:... And if the others are all good like that... The show will be one of my favs~~ *____*
:wub:
Well, it all depends on your perspective. If you're a big mystery fan, then ep. 3, 4, & 6 may be more enjoyable because they sort of spoofed the mystery cliches in a proper and funny way (you really have to be familiar w/ the genre to get some of the inside jokes). If you're just going for laughs, you'll still be entertained as they're delivered in spades (although IMO ep. 5 & 6 are not as funny as they could be, and I lay the blame on the directors).

BTW, I noticed a spike in my expense on tissues since the beginning of this season. I always seem to have something stuck in my eyes while watching Shiroi Haru XD , and watching this just made me :rofl:
Last edited by zettaiKaren on Jun 2nd, '09, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

xtraordinarilynaked

Post by xtraordinarilynaked » Jun 2nd, '09, 20:31

This dorama has already become one of my favorites this season.
And I love seeing Shota playing such a comic role. ^^

sogeking

Post by sogeking » Jun 2nd, '09, 23:13

What's up with the room with tiny door? LOL
Ridiculous but yet exciting :tv:
Just finished ep.1. Looking forward for more shota's geek trousers and bicycle freakness xD

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Jun 4th, '09, 21:35

I'm really liking this series myself. The whole door to another world/dimension thing threw me off a bit but got used to it especially now that they don't use it more half a dozen times now. Anyways the characters are fun and I'm liking the show being a parody of crime solving detective dramas, their doing a good job on it. Also surprise by how some of the twist are.

poonk
United States of America

Post by poonk » Jun 6th, '09, 04:41

How interesting to hear zettaiKaren say that "the First 2 episodes were not very good; everything really came together from ep. 3 onwards" because I found the first 2 eps (all I've seen so far) pretty original and amusing and I'm not even a mystery buff. It's encouraging to hear that it gets even better. The idea of self-aware detective-story characters is definitely different from the usual drama fare and I can't wait to see more genre conventions parodied. I also love how Kashii Yu's "female detective" character refuses to swoon over Tenkaichi (like her character normally would) and keeps trying to introduce real-life, logical (and infinitely less dramatic) police procedure into the mix, much to Okawara & Tenkaichi's dismay. I can't wait to see ep03 now...

hey9

Post by hey9 » Jun 7th, '09, 18:22

I haven't been very impressed with the mystery-comedy jdramas coming out in the past few seasons, so I'm really enjoying Meitantei.

Kashii Yu isn't really funny, but I think she makes a good straight man to Matsuda and the weird guy lol haven't gotten to know the names yet as I haven't started watching with the subs XD

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Jun 15th, '09, 21:46

Wow, I'm surprised with the positive feedback..this is the only drama out of the 5 I'm watching this season that I will drop. To be honest (and really not trying to offend) but I find this too-baka. I mean it just feels really stupid...maybe the drama, concept, ideas, etc. are not stupid but I cannot stand the baka-ness of the characters. Plus it's so slow...always wasting 'moments' with repeated action...like sulking, waiting for reaction, etc. I simply am not getting this. I've watched up to ep4...don't know if I want to give it one more ep before I drop it. Gomen~~

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 20th, '09, 00:55

I didn't want to post another comment until after the finale because last time I did I seemed to have jinxed the series (ep. 08 was horrendously bad, the worst in the series because the script was probably NOT based on the novel, and ep. 09's rating paid for it). However, for the sake of those non-mystery lovers/buffs who've watched ep. 09 (which was great btw) and are unsure about what things were being parodied, my interpretation is as follows:
- Whether the mystery writer 'plays fair' with the reader/viewer. 'Playing fair' means whatever clues the detective used to solve the mystery are also available to the reader/viewer, so the reader/viewer has the same chance of solving the mystery as the detective (this's why they talked about the solution being 'unfair' in the episode, though to be honest, being a parody the previous ones haven't really been playing fair anyway but this one is extreme).
- When the writer uses 'unfair' tactics (the most common ones are twins, plastic surgery, hypnotism, etc.), then you know s/he is running out of ideas. This is the 'danger' happening to the Tenkaichi series that was alluded to at the end of the episode.

Also, can someone tell me what song was played during the 'Touch' parody scenes? I know I've it on tape but can't seem to find it :-(
I hope this won't jinx the finale, which I'm fretting because this series seems to be very dependent on the director (so far the best episodes IMO are all directed by the same person - ep. 3, 4, 7, & 9, though 5 & 6 are pretty good as well).

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Jun 20th, '09, 01:46

@fifimimi Couldn't agree with you more. I was barely able to get through the first episode, but after about 10 minutes of the second one I just gave up. I loved the actor's in this one, but not the material they were given to work with. Really disappointing.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 22nd, '09, 16:58

Just as I feared, the finale was handled by IMO the worst director of the 3 in charge of the series. I looked up his track record in the Japanese drama wiki, and this seems to be the first time he'd directed a comedy (a parody no less).

The finale is a parody of Agatha Christie's 'And then there were none', which was also parodied in the movies 'Murder by Death' and 'Clue'. The script is actually pretty good; there are several LOL moments. It could have been so much better in the hands of a more capable director. As a regular episode I'd give it 8/10; as a finale only 7.

My final ratings for the episodes are as follows (starting from ep. 01, out of a maximum 10):

5, 2, 10, 9, 8, 8, 9, 1, 10, 7.

As it stands, a bit too inconsistent but still a good watch in my book. BTW, next up in the same time slot is:
Hope it's not another 'Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne?' clone :pray:

hey9

Post by hey9 » Jul 1st, '09, 15:08

Does anyone have a link to the 1280x720 version of the finale? I don't think it's been uploaded here.

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Jul 1st, '09, 15:45

I a watched the first episode of the hidden drama just to see Fukada Saki and it is good, but I probably won't continue since I hate watching drama's with subtitles.

--Edit--

Oh, great the pirates picked it up so we get crappy quality and/or they never finish it.

akisu

Post by akisu » Aug 7th, '10, 15:54

Anyone has a list of the music used in the static card after the intro?
For example Episode 7 static card had Detective Conan OST as BGM.