[Discussion] Mr. Brain

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
totemokakkoii

Post by totemokakkoii » May 27th, '09, 15:55

I watched the 1st episode, but cannot seemed to have the the "WOW" feeling.

I saw the similar recycled characters... weird scientist, clumsy assistant, not-so-smart policeman, the-often-being-mistaken-as-the-bad-guy policeman... etc..

Other than the interesting facts about human's brain which was inserted during the drama, and the weekly guest appearance... I felt as though I was watching a drama trying to incorporate other different detective dramas into one.

skoolrumble4ya

Post by skoolrumble4ya » May 29th, '09, 06:49

I can't wait to watch this show but I'm waiting for subs at the moment.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 30th, '09, 10:59

totemokakkoii wrote:I watched the 1st episode, but cannot seemed to have the the "WOW" feeling.

I saw the similar recycled characters... weird scientist, clumsy assistant, not-so-smart policeman, the-often-being-mistaken-as-the-bad-guy policeman... etc..

Other than the interesting facts about human's brain which was inserted during the drama, and the weekly guest appearance... I felt as though I was watching a drama trying to incorporate other different detective dramas into one.
Exactly my thoughts. i was watching it last night and i was not that impressed with it. have to admit that i am only watching this drama for Hiro's sake as i am not particulary a kimutaku fan and i really don't get all this hype about him and this drama made wonder even more.

from cm i had a different impression of Ayase's character and i found it totally apposite to what i thought.

as for Hiro, i think i prefer in him in more serious roles. being funny and silly does not really suit him. the time when he was serious, he was totally cool.

kimutaku, i can't really say much because i can't see him as one great actor anyway. i think he is an ok actor and his performace in this drama was really ordinary. somehow i have a hard time taking him seriously as a genius person.

and as for his character
is he supposed to have changed into a genius person after that accident or they have done some changes in his brain? and i know this drama called Mr Brain, what why do they have to show image flotting everytime he explains something. it is getting annoying.

and i thought there was absolutley no need for all that hight tech environment all that fancy gadget. it made me feel like i am watching a RoboCop movie. somehow was very hard to believe that environment specially in a japanese drama.

i kept reading in earlier posts that would be similar to Galileo but i think it is not as good as Galileo at all. not even with all that budget spent. but it sure will have very high rating (might be undeserved one too) because of kimutaku.
it might get better in later eps but i always see the 1st ep as most important ep of any drama.

i'll continue watching to see if it gets any better at all.

Moodilic

Post by Moodilic » May 30th, '09, 19:49

If there's no 704x396 version in about 3hrs then I'll upload my encoded version.
It will be about 570Mb. :)

Same will eventually go for the 1280x720 version to. Don't know the size yet as I'm yet to begin any encoding on that part.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » May 30th, '09, 22:33

Moodilic wrote:If there's no 704x396 version in about 3hrs then I'll upload my encoded version.
It will be about 570Mb. :)

Same will eventually go for the 1280x720 version to. Don't know the size yet as I'm yet to begin any encoding on that part.
that would be great really!!!!! ^^
Thank you in advance :thumright:

anneinnagaoka

Post by anneinnagaoka » Jun 1st, '09, 07:20

Couldn't really get into ep 1 without subs, but found the hostman beginning funny and disturbing at the same time. But watched ep2 without subs and loved it. Really kimutaku's hair is a wonder of nature. I can't stop watching the hair. But the story of ep2 was great and loved seeing koyuki (currently watching bokukano too!) Loved the very end of the ep!

guo87

Post by guo87 » Jun 1st, '09, 07:33

waiting for the sub :P

fleng

Post by fleng » Jun 3rd, '09, 12:43

I'm just wondering after watching episode 1... why is Ryoko Hirosue guest appearance so short? Will she be in the show some more??

I think it's great show, despite the rehash of characters from other doramas... what makes it better is that it's Takuya Kimura. And no I'm not a fangirl.

fleng

Post by fleng » Jun 3rd, '09, 12:52

Issy wrote:
totemokakkoii wrote:I watched the 1st episode, but cannot seemed to have the the "WOW" feeling.

Exactly my thoughts. i was watching it last night and i was not that impressed with it. have to admit that i am only watching this drama for Hiro's sake as i am not particulary a kimutaku fan and i really don't get all this hype about him and this drama made wonder even more.

from cm i had a different impression of Ayase's character and i found it totally apposite to what i thought.

as for Hiro, i think i prefer in him in more serious roles. being funny and silly does not really suit him. the time when he was serious, he was totally cool.

kimutaku, i can't really say much because i can't see him as one great actor anyway. i think he is an ok actor and his performace in this drama was really ordinary. somehow i have a hard time taking him seriously as a genius person.

and as for his character
is he supposed to have changed into a genius person after that accident or they have done some changes in his brain? and i know this drama called Mr Brain, what why do they have to show image flotting everytime he explains something. it is getting annoying.

and i thought there was absolutley no need for all that hight tech environment all that fancy gadget. it made me feel like i am watching a RoboCop movie. somehow was very hard to believe that environment specially in a japanese drama.

i kept reading in earlier posts that would be similar to Galileo but i think it is not as good as Galileo at all. not even with all that budget spent. but it sure will have very high rating (might be undeserved one too) because of kimutaku.
it might get better in later eps but i always see the 1st ep as most important ep of any drama.

i'll continue watching to see if it gets any better at all.
Personally I think Kimura played the character really well (just like most of his other characters in other dramas.) There must be a reason why he is called the King Of Drama.. but hey there's always people whom don't fancy him and that's alright.

As from the GiriGiri subs the Doctor told him that part of his normal brain is not functioning properly anymore and that the other part (the frontal lobe) is doing the work of the malfunctioned side of the brain and is actually doing it far better making him intelligent although he loses part of his past self like not liking Big Breasted Idols and liking Fat girls. Quirky.

Why he likes to show the 3D imagery of the brain? That's because he is a Neuroscientist and that's his bread and butter, understanding the human brain and of course he will keep showing it to everyone because he's such a weird character and likes to emphasize his fanaticism with the Human Brain unto others (his peers) and also a good little knowledge snacks/trivia for viewers.

Again personally I like to see those techno funky gadgetry in the show, pretty cool actually, especially that LCD Table where he does touchscreening and stuff (got to try that at Microsoft fair quite recently too and that thing is awesome).

citrone

Post by citrone » Jun 3rd, '09, 14:22

I also favor Kimura for his roles. I watched many dramas of him .generally the characters are too stiff! but Kimura is always natural. That's why I like his characters. To be natural in a drama is as much important as acting serious. You should not realize that they are actually acting. For me the all time best couple is Kimura and yuko in PRIDE. The scene with their continuous talk in the car is marvelous.

anoracle

Post by anoracle » Jun 3rd, '09, 19:27

Toooh-tally agree. Kimutaku and Yuko did have really good chemistry. Aaah, Halu and Aki, I do miss them.

I think with Kimutaku craze, you either buy his charm hook, line and sinker, or you sit their wondering what all the fuss is about. Or maybe not. Either way, I'm definetly in the first catagory.

Now, about MR. BRAIN. I was kinda apprehensive when I heard he was taking on this role because... let's face it, he has played a really diverse bunch of characters... profession-wise (Prime Minister, hockey player, serial killer suspect etc.), but character wise, they've all been kinda similar. Charming, charismatic, born-leader kind of person. I wasn't sure if he would really do the whole "generally incapable of reading the atmosphere of a situation" act. He can do quirky and eccentric(eg in HERO), but just plain disconnected...?

Anyhoo, I think he pulled it off pretty well, ne? I found him pretty funny actually. I enjoyed the first ep, I liked all the other characters so far, the high techy-ness didn't bother me.

Phew, that turned out long. After waiting so long, i kinda had to vent. (...vent in a good way)

... of to wait for ep 2 subs.

citrone

Post by citrone » Jun 3rd, '09, 19:46

anoracle wrote:Toooh-tally agree. Kimutaku and Yuko did have really good chemistry. Aaah, Halu and Aki, I do miss them.

I think with Kimutaku craze, you either buy his charm hook, line and sinker, or you sit their wondering what all the fuss is about. Or maybe not. Either way, I'm definetly in the first catagory.

Now, about MR. BRAIN. I was kinda apprehensive when I heard he was taking on this role because... let's face it, he has played a really diverse bunch of characters... profession-wise (Prime Minister, hockey player, serial killer suspect etc.), but character wise, they've all been kinda similar. Charming, charismatic, born-leader kind of person. I wasn't sure if he would really do the whole "generally incapable of reading the atmosphere of a situation" act. He can do quirky and eccentric(eg in HERO), but just plain disconnected...?

Anyhoo, I think he pulled it off pretty well, ne? I found him pretty funny actually. I enjoyed the first ep, I liked all the other characters so far, the high techy-ness didn't bother me.

Phew, that turned out long. After waiting so long, i kinda had to vent. (...vent in a good way)

... of to wait for ep 2 subs.
Same in here... :)

You explained the character issue very well...

On the overall, I also liked it.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jun 4th, '09, 04:41

I actually liked the first episode. The beginning was kind of a big HUHHHHH!!! Was the point of that part just to get himself hit by the wall to get a concussion and become a genius?!! :lol I found that funny. And I liked his animeyish hair in the beginning. But dang, with his long hair, he looks like a girl. Ahh, I can never get tired of Kimura Takuya's natural acting. I mean he always manages to make his characters seem natural. Like he's not really acting but totally spot on. Waiting for episode 2 subs when Koyuki and Gackt show up.

skoolrumble4ya

Post by skoolrumble4ya » Jun 4th, '09, 20:22

The first episode is kind of weird but I like it can't wait to see how it develops.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Jun 4th, '09, 20:28

The technical jargon outshined the charisma. A bit complicated to be entertaining.

Kadamony

Post by Kadamony » Jun 4th, '09, 23:40

I'm disappointed they pulled the "humans only use x% of their brain" line. Total myth! Also disappointed that Hiro fell into such a typical character... he was surprisingly great as the serious and sure Rihito. Right now the show's saving grace is Kimura, his performance is pretty funny and entertaining. Ep 2 looks pretty disturbing with Gackt, should be interesting.

miriko

Post by miriko » Jun 5th, '09, 00:16

I am a little scared to try this drama.. I was watching it without subs in Japan, and it looked a little silly, maybe it improves with subs?

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Jun 5th, '09, 20:30

Overall I liked the first episode. But yeah I was dissapointed after the ten minutes when it went into safe mode, your typical j-drama series akin to voice j-drama did, though it was nowhere near as bad voice was. This series obviously tries to be CSI but adds your typical j-drama cliche which really brings it down. Too bad this series didn't move away from that. Still gonna watch this series just with lower expectations seeing now how they plan on structuring the show around as.

lunas

Post by lunas » Jun 5th, '09, 22:15

Watched first episode with sub and it's okay. But will continue for a few more episodes since other series I've had watched improve after the first episode. At least they didn't do the hand thing like Galileo which annoyed me greatly.

Kai200X

Post by Kai200X » Jun 5th, '09, 22:31

I watched and wanted to sub this series because of Hiro, but after watched first 2 epiosdes... I am almost glad I didnt. Of course, someone already announced they want to sub this, and I don't want to compete with anyone, but Hiro's role in this drama is not what I expected. I will keep watching this drama but without much expectations.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 5th, '09, 23:38

Kai200X wrote:I watched and wanted to sub this series because of Hiro, but after watched first 2 epiosdes... I am almost glad I didnt. Of course, someone already announced they want to sub this, and I don't want to compete with anyone, but Hiro's role in this drama is not what I expected. I will keep watching this drama but without much expectations.
yes, it was my only reason to watch this drama too but not liking his role in this at all. i really wonder about chosing this character for him here. why he could not be the cool and clever police man helping mr brain. or does all the coolness had to go to kimutaku and no one else. :scratch:
i still continue to watch though.

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Jun 6th, '09, 03:52

Issy wrote:
Kai200X wrote:I watched and wanted to sub this series because of Hiro, but after watched first 2 epiosdes... I am almost glad I didnt. Of course, someone already announced they want to sub this, and I don't want to compete with anyone, but Hiro's role in this drama is not what I expected. I will keep watching this drama but without much expectations.
yes, it was my only reason to watch this drama too but not liking his role in this at all. i really wonder about chosing this character for him here. why he could not be the cool and clever police man helping mr brain. or does all the coolness had to go to kimutaku and no one else. :scratch:
i still continue to watch though.
There's some sort of a unwritten rule in J-Dramas detective solving dramas that you need a bumbling good hearted detective/character and he's that character, when he showed up as that type of character I was also pretty dissapointed as well.

Having alot of fun watching a show like Meitantei no Okite were it polks fun at shows like these since that show is a parody of detective solving dramas.

poonk
United States of America

Post by poonk » Jun 6th, '09, 04:09

My thoughts on ep01 (sorry for the block of text):

I find Kimura's title character very charming (more on that later). I thought at first the premise sounded a lot like Galileo but having seen the first episode, the characters are nothing alike (though I found Galileo's Yukawa-sensei very appealing in a different sort of way). Tsukumo seems pretty absent-minded most of the time but when need be, he displays moments of extreme perception into people's psyches. What can I say, I'm watching this for Kimura so I'm predisposed to loving this character.

I do sort of hope Ayase's assistant character starts doing more in future episodes-- seems like in ep01 she's just there to voice what we fans are thinking ("he's so handsome/cool," getting flustered around him, etc.). I'm assuming since she works there she must be pretty intelligent herself (though maybe not in the neuroscience field, but still) and while it's fine (and amusing) to see her moon over him, I'd like to see her actually contribute something intelligent to the proceedings too.

And Hiro Mizushima-- wow, what a difference the hair makes. :O In everything else I've seen him in, he's played the charming, cool guy. In this series (so far; again, I've only seen ep01) he seems like he's lucky if he manages to tie his shoes in the morning. Definitely a different role for him, and I can see why some fans are disappointed-- I would be too, if I were here for him and not mainly Kimura.

I also agree with a lot of comments here that all the ultra-super-high-tech setpieces were excessive (almost as if they had a big budget and were determined to use every single penny), not to mention totally unrealistic compared to an actual laboratory setting; but I just kept telling myself, "It's a drama!" (and not a terribly serious one at that), so by the end of ep01 I just started to sit back and enjoy all those unnecessarily-flashy visual effects.

All in all, I think I'm gonna really dig this one despite it's flaws. It's going to be one of those (few) series that my friend & I make a point to get together and watch every week as subs appear, instead of just postponing it until it's finished.

P.S. We practically went into fits of squeeing over the animated chibi version of Kimura who popped up to explain one of the scientific concepts. I must make an avatar of that...
anoracle wrote:I think with Kimutaku craze, you either buy his charm hook, line and sinker, or you sit their wondering what all the fuss is about. Or maybe not. Either way, I'm definetly in the first catagory....
I have to totally agree with this. I'd (somehow) been watching dramas for a few years before I ever saw any of his dramas, and whenever people would rave about him I'd wonder, "What's the big deal? He's not that good-looking." Then someone highly recommended Long Vacation to me and it was all over. I was like, "Yes, now I see." I quickly followed up with Engine, Good Luck!, Pride, Gift, and Hero. It was almost like a switch flipped on in my head and suddenly the man is gorgeous, funny, and eminently charming. I mean, even the series that I actively disliked (Pride, sorry fans, I really didn't like the heroine), the best thing about it was his performance.

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Jun 6th, '09, 04:29

Anyone who doesn't get it, say whatever you like.
The last word stops here: I DIG KIMURA TAKUYA! :argue:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 6th, '09, 05:41

So far I have not watched all the first episode. Have been busy d.l the subs and putting it together. Also I have to admit that the intro and first scenes with Kimura as the No. 3 Host have me enchanted,
I have loved Kimura for over ten years at least. Therefore his host character in this drama is so funny when you have seen his gorgeous Host in the ParaPara skits he does with Goro on SxS. There, he is pristine in his sparkling white suit and all the necessary bling. Definitely the Number One Host in every sense.
The the way he looks as the host in the drama is so tatty and so untidy and so dowdy headed that you know he is having a good time doing it. It can only be really enjoyed if you have seen the SxS shows.

I have watched this beginning three times. I really have to go on and watch the whole episode now that I have those great subs. Great Subs....many thanks.

Peggy

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Jun 6th, '09, 20:43

Peggy wrote:So far I have not watched all the first episode. Have been busy d.l the subs and putting it together. Also I have to admit that the intro and first scenes with Kimura as the No. 3 Host have me enchanted,
I have loved Kimura for over ten years at least. Therefore his host character in this drama is so funny when you have seen his gorgeous Host in the ParaPara skits he does with Goro on SxS. There, he is pristine in his sparkling white suit and all the necessary bling. Definitely the Number One Host in every sense.
The the way he looks as the host in the drama is so tatty and so untidy and so dowdy headed that you know he is having a good time doing it. It can only be really enjoyed if you have seen the SxS shows.

I have watched this beginning three times. I really have to go on and watch the whole episode now that I have those great subs. Great Subs....many thanks.

Peggy
Heh you just watched the best part of the episode after that scene well it just becomes your typical detective solving drama. Not to say the first episode was bad I did enjoyed it, just dissapointed in the direction it went after the opening scene.

totemokakkoii

Post by totemokakkoii » Jun 7th, '09, 13:26

Oh my... There were so many loopholes in episode 3 as I was watching along, that it really made the police and the scientists look stupid when these loopholes turned out to be some great discovery for the crime.

I'm so sorry to say that, but I really thought episode 3 was lame. Are they trying to insult the intelligent of the audience?

Hope it gets better..

jewelchan

Post by jewelchan » Jun 7th, '09, 20:38

I agree that this drama has A LOT of loopholes in the stories. I even thought that since the name of the show is MR. BRAIN maybe the producer set up a competition of some sort and let the audience find the loopholes and send the answers to TV station or something. (They don't actually do that, do they? :P)

So far, I found at least 10 illogical deductions in episode one, a few in episode 2 and I haven't watched Ep.3 yet. Maybe the producer think too much about adding neuro-science stuff to the cases that they forget to check the logic in the cases' deduction parts.

Anyway, in contrary to the lame detective-mystery plot, other things are pretty well-made. The cast is amazing. I know many people don't like Hiro in this role but I think he's so cute and his acting as a clumsy detective is very convincing. (It's fun watching him being abused by the other detective. Hahaha.) I don't like Takuya's acting much in the first two episodes but I can't deny that he's really charming. I feel that he's quite annoying at times but I still can't take my eyes off of him. ^_^ Haruka's also great. Her role's getting more focused in episode 2 and I expect to see more dramatic scenes in later episodes too. The stories are quite fun and exciting if you don't think too much about the logic in each case. (It's a drama about brain but you'll enjoy it more if you don't use your brain while watching. :lol) Overall, it's a kind of drama that I can't say that it's great but I will still recommend people to watch it. ^_^

By the way, I have a question for those who've watched episode 2 and understand some Japanese's puns/jokes.
Could anyone explain the joke about Diamond Ring and Manjuu to me? Are there other meanings for the word "da-i-ya" or is it something else? I'm trying to look up some references for this joke but I still can't find any.

Edit: I took a look at GiriGiri Fansub's translation and this part is not even a pun. I expected this to be a clever pun or joke of some sort and it turns out to be just nothing. :blink

thienly

Post by thienly » Jun 8th, '09, 08:28

Was it that bad? I want to watch it but reading your comments here turn me off. The only drama I like Kimura in is the Karei (splendid family), the rest of his other dramas I thought was ok....he is not handsome, and his acting is ok to me.

I hate watching detective dramas that really insult the intelligence of the viewers...like that...
no wonder the rating dip from 24, 22 then 16% in ep 3...

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Jun 8th, '09, 18:57

The mystery for episode 2 was pretty good until in the end title they throw in the 5 seconds plot point.
You had guy on death row writing to the victim's fiancee. I don't know any modern prison systems where the guard don't read all of the mail before they let it go out. They could just simply had the fiancee visit the killer before he was hang and had him tell her who the real killers were. You will have a guard monitor what's going, but not listen to their conversation.
I don't mind about some of overly fake tech display, too much trying to be like CSI, but the confusing and unrealistic plot point keep me from loving this drama. Still like what the unsolved part of the mysteries.

calimerina

Post by calimerina » Jun 8th, '09, 20:53

Well, I don't think that japanese screenwriters care at all about what is the real practice (or what is realistic and what is unrealistic in a plot).
XrayMind wrote:You will have a guard monitor what's going, but not listen to their conversation.
In "Smile" the guard is always in the room listening and taking part in the conversation between the convict and his lawyer. In "Aishiteru" a 10 years old child (only suspected) is arrested at school and questioned and taken in custody all the night without seeing a lawyer or a social worker or a psychologist or his parents until the morning after, left without dinner and sleeping on a chair. I don't think things go that way in Japan.
Maybe screenwriters don't care about what happens in reality because the japanese audience as well doesn't care at all or doesn't know about that. But you're right, when something in the plot is confusing and unrealistic it keeps me from loving the drama.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 8th, '09, 21:56

thienly wrote:Was it that bad? I want to watch it but reading your comments here turn me off. The only drama I like Kimura in is the Karei (splendid family), the rest of his other dramas I thought was ok....he is not handsome, and his acting is ok to me.

I hate watching detective dramas that really insult the intelligence of the viewers...like that...
I haven't watched ep. 3 yet, but I've read lots of comments (from Japan and other countries) attributing the low rating to Kame (and the debate seems to be more interesting than the episode itself :mrgreen: ). Even before it aired, some people were already boycotting it because of his appearance. Now that the episode got a disastrous rating (lowest for a KimuTaku drama in years), this will just reaffirm in some people's minds his reputation of being a 'poison pill for box-office/rating'. BTW I read that one of his nicknames is 'sales tax', because his last drama had episode ratings lower than the national sales tax :P .

I don't like him either (just personal preference but I'm sure he has lots of fans as well); with all the negative comments I'm not sure I'll watch this episode anymore.

calimerina

Post by calimerina » Jun 8th, '09, 22:15

zettaiKaren wrote: I've read lots of comments (from Japan and other countries) attributing the low rating to Kame (and the debate seems to be more interesting than the episode itself :mrgreen: ). Even before it aired, some people were already boycotting it because of his appearance.
Almost always I must bear one or more annoying female characters for the sake of the male one, why a Kimutaku fan can't bear just 1 episode with Kame? :scratch:

AiaNP

Post by AiaNP » Jun 8th, '09, 23:03

I must say that even though I do not absolutely adore this drama, I do find it very amusing/entertaining to watch. It's nice to just sit down and enjoy, even if there are little things here and there.

I'm definitely going to give it a chance. For some reason, I have this inkling that, perhaps, somewhere down the line it will grow from being a *strict* comedy/mystery....I don't know why, I just feel that way...

Ah, well, let's see ep. 4!

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jun 9th, '09, 01:42

zettaiKaren wrote:I haven't watched ep. 3 yet, but I've read lots of comments (from Japan and other countries) attributing the low rating to Kame (and the debate seems to be more interesting than the episode itself :mrgreen: ). Even before it aired, some people were already boycotting it because of his appearance. Now that the episode got a disastrous rating (lowest for a KimuTaku drama in years), this will just reaffirm in some people's minds his reputation of being a 'poison pill for box-office/rating'. BTW I read that one of his nicknames is 'sales tax', because his last drama had episode ratings lower than the national sales tax :P .

I don't like him either (just personal preference but I'm sure he has lots of fans as well); with all the negative comments I'm not sure I'll watch this episode anymore.

Really, I didn't know Kame-kun had a lot of anti-fans. I didn't watch Kame's last drama because the plot seemed boring from the very beginning :whistling: Who would want to know about wine tasting?!! But I think he's a pretty good actor. Well at least I liked his roles in Nobuta, Gokusen 2 and Tatta Hitotsu. What kind of debate are they having about him? Can you post up a link to these debates?

fleng

Post by fleng » Jun 9th, '09, 02:23

Just Sitback and enjoy the dorama, what with this season being low on good drama, this is pretty ok to watch.

watersoflethe

Post by watersoflethe » Jun 9th, '09, 09:00

zettaiKaren wrote:
thienly wrote:Was it that bad? I want to watch it but reading your comments here turn me off. The only drama I like Kimura in is the Karei (splendid family), the rest of his other dramas I thought was ok....he is not handsome, and his acting is ok to me.

I haven't watched ep. 3 yet, but I've read lots of comments (from Japan and other countries) attributing the low rating to Kame (and the debate seems to be more interesting than the episode itself :mrgreen: ). Even before it aired, some people were already boycotting it because of his appearance. Now that the episode got a disastrous rating (lowest for a KimuTaku drama in years), this will just reaffirm in some people's minds his reputation of being a 'poison pill for box-office/rating'. BTW I read that one of his nicknames is 'sales tax', because his last drama had episode ratings lower than the national sales tax :P .

wow i didn't know kame had so many anti fans.
but then again...the rating for kami no shizuku DID suck. i watched the first episode and never came back to the series.
but to be more lenient on him the premise for the series itself was not that interesting. its just not so fun WATCHING someone drink wine. its different from food where at least different food look delicious. all wines look alike.

16% is awfully low for a kimutaku drama
i've been enjoying mr. brain so far (its fun if you dont think too deeply into it, when you start actually thinking about if its possible then you hit a rut)
i haven't watched episode 3 yet (ah finals...) but is it really that bad? now i'm getting afraid to watch it. :scratch:

but then i'm loving the animated kimutaku that pops out to explain things :wub: freaking adorable. i hope they make it into a cell phone chain or something. i would totally buy it.

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Jun 9th, '09, 14:49

Again, I did enjoy watching episode 2. But afterward, after my critical thinking kicked in and the enjoyment was greatly reduced by the bad plot points. Not only by the letter written by death row inmate not read by the guard. But think about it, 3 cops, 2 of them still in active duty that easily stub to death by one woman. With the last one knowing already who the real killer was and can prepare for the attack? I actually accept this plot point/hole, with the idiom "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned", but letter from prison did break my suspension of disbelieve.

gauri92

Post by gauri92 » Jun 11th, '09, 00:20

well....im really liking and enjoying the series....adn from the preview for the third epi, it seems like kame has acted well in this episode.....why do people not like him???

tkah

Post by tkah » Jun 11th, '09, 02:47

I am a bit shocked by the responses so far. I have only watched ep 1/2 so far. But I can see why people would question it. Its much different than the dramas that Kimura Takuura has done in the past. I get the impression they were hoping for a similar impression like when he did Hero. I will hold judgement until I see a few more episodes. I love anything both Kame/Kimutaku do. here is an interview that they did. I laughed. They seem like maybe they are good friends?...

watersoflethe

Post by watersoflethe » Jun 11th, '09, 03:15

tkah wrote:I am a bit shocked by the responses so far. I have only watched ep 1/2 so far. But I can see why people would question it. Its much different than the dramas that Kimura Takuura has done in the past. I get the impression they were hoping for a similar impression like when he did Hero. I will hold judgement until I see a few more episodes. I love anything both Kame/Kimutaku do. here is an interview that they did. I laughed. They seem like maybe they are good friends?...

ah i saw those clips before....
i'm dying to know what they were whispering to each other...hahaaha.a.
but i dont think they are really friends or anything. just reallly famous senpai and kouhai type of relationship they typically have in johnny's...

faleron

Post by faleron » Jun 14th, '09, 08:07

i was just rewatching ep2 with subs the other day, seeing how kimutaku was interacting with koyuki in the show. Then it hit me that kimutaku has possibly never worked with nakama yukie before. Can u imagine the chemistry they might have together onscreen? then omg i found out last wk even b4 next wk's preview that she'll be appearing in Mr. Brain! :w00t: My wish is being fulfilled! Here's hoping that it'll be an impressive storyline n acting! :wub:

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jun 14th, '09, 14:53

i've never really been disappointed by takuya's shows before. I'm not a fan but just a regular viewer and this show's pretty interesting. It's nice to see it touches on the field of science as well as investigative, kinda like CSI but a more relaxed, less tense and comedic side. Though I wasn't that impressed by the storyline for ep2, it's good to see they invited some big shots to star in them. Like Gackt and koyuki. :lol

Now, takuya's acting is fine I guess, not marvelous, and I have no problem with the long, wavy hair at all. I think it fits his character as an eccentric neuroscientist. His assistant is doing a decent job. And Hiro playing a clumsy/rookie type of cop...isn't exactly what I wanted to see, honestly, I'm actually annoyed by his hair more so than Takuya's! I wish he could trim it or sth, not making it curly like that. it looks weird. lol :unsure:

Anyways, gonna continue with this show. I hope they'd come up with interesting cases and keep up the good work.

thienly

Post by thienly » Jun 15th, '09, 03:57

it's must be the Kami's effect in the last episode, becaue ep 4 shots up at 21%

veritati

Post by veritati » Jun 15th, '09, 08:56

It's a TV show and a comedy, not documentary so don't expect everything to be 100% accurate. Even CSI is not totally correct about a lot of the things they show.

If you want to know why the ratings drop you have to do some quantitative analysis. It's on Saturday at 8pm. What else was on that day? Any big sporting events? Was it a holiday or special day? Any world events happened? Saturday, June 6th happened to be the clincher game for the 2010 World Cup: Japan vs. Uzbekistan.

Dorama are for entertainment purposes so just watch to enjoy, especially in these tough economic times.

citrone

Post by citrone » Jun 15th, '09, 09:14

veritati wrote: If you want to know why the ratings drop you have to do some quantitative analysis. It's on Saturday at 8pm. What else was on that day? Any big sporting events? Was it a holiday or special day? Any world events happened? Saturday, June 6th happened to be the clincher game for the 2010 World Cup: Japan vs. Uzbekistan.

Dorama are for entertainment purposes so just watch to enjoy, especially in these tough economic times.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering why this notch happened.... :)

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jun 15th, '09, 10:06

veritati wrote: If you want to know why the ratings drop you have to do some quantitative analysis. It's on Saturday at 8pm. What else was on that day? Any big sporting events? Was it a holiday or special day? Any world events happened? Saturday, June 6th happened to be the clincher game for the 2010 World Cup: Japan vs. Uzbekistan.
Just to set the record straight, the FIFA World Cup qualifying match was up against the Majo Saiban time slot. The official party line from TBS and JE is that the rating was adversely affected by NHK's live broadcast of a baseball game between some teams in the Kanto and Hokkaido regions; however, that still can't explain the Kansai region rating which is even lower (16.2%).

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jun 15th, '09, 14:25

i just finished ep3. It's average. I like how they get all these stars to come act in episodes like that but I wish they could use them to the fullest. Kame was practically just standing there looking all expressionless, and there's nothing much for aibu saki to do either. Their characters weren't memorable. (i know the attention should be towards takuya but they could've done better).

The preview for next ep looks rather promising though. waiting for subs now. The subs are coming out fast :wub:

Jaja

Post by Jaja » Jun 16th, '09, 08:31

I watched the first episode but I'm not satisfied probably its because it lacks ground on why these crimes are commited or whats his purpose?

Well for one thing it stick to its tittle which gave me insight some of functions of human brain.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 17th, '09, 21:59

watched ep3 last night (well, finished it last night as i fell asleep in the middle night before). i thought it was really bad.
ep was not really great but i thought it was OK. ep 2, i really did not how to think of it becuase it felt kind of weird ep but ep3, i thought it was the worst so far.
i have seen Keme in dramas before and i liked some of them. i thought he was very good in Nobuta Wo Produce and Tatta hitotsu no koi. but he was just so bad in here. like had no idea how to act in front of kimutaku.
not only him, Aibu Saki was as bad in acting as him. the whole giving describtion of the murdurer act was just so unrealistic. why did she have to say it this way? ok, she meant to show it as she was made to memorise those words. but even in acting so, she failed badly.
but i have to say, as a non kimu-taku fan, i am starting to see his charm. he is not a very good actor but i am kind of opening up to his character bits by bits.
but, Ayase character and Hiro's character are getting on my nerve.

chesed

Post by chesed » Jun 19th, '09, 06:31

I feel pretty dumb after reading all these comments. I'm totally not catching all these plot holes and whatnot. I guess ignorance is bliss... which is not something I'm particularly proud of, but damn I'm enjoying the hell out of this series. I agree, though, that I wish they really utilized the potential in each of the guest actors that are known to carry shows on by themselves.

Admittedly I'm a Kimutaku fan. This series has a sort of Hero quality in him, but my favorite drama with him was Million Stars Falling In The Sky. Regardless, I love how the guests are cast as roles they normally wouldn't portray. It's refreshing, in the same way it was nice to see Kimutaku in a darker role in Million.

But the amount of guests on this series seems staggering. Just waiting to see who else guest stars is part of the fun. Watching this series makes watching all the other dramas I've seen seem that much more worth it somehow. It must cost a lot of money to do something like this *looks at all the sponsors*. Then again, there have been plenty of series that get higher ratings that seemingly cost much less, so hrm. =P

lunas

Post by lunas » Jun 20th, '09, 03:47

Episode 3 is the worst so far, so obvious in so many level. There are no suspense in BOSS and in this series as well. :P

Peggy

Mr. Brain Ep.3

Post by Peggy » Jun 20th, '09, 05:28

Well I'm with those who don't know what the fuss is all about. I have never seen Kame as an actor or as a singer. I thought he played a calm and quiet role about a man who had something hidden inside, and he did it rather well. He was quite a contrast to the excitable young detective (Hiro ?) and also the quirky role Kimura is playing in his character.

I have never been able to understand why some people can get so agitated and use the word 'hate' about an actor. That person is playing a role and is probably doing just what the director is telling him to do with every scene. It's not that easy to hit the mark , remember your lines and where the camera is at all times, and then still get yourself into the personality of the character.They rarely do the scenes in sequence and that means holding on to the feeling from the previous take.

I am anjoying this drama. I adore Kimura and even tho I would definitely like to see him in a hot romantic role, I like any role he has played. Agree 100% about Million Stars Fell. Great role and great drama. Incredible ending.

Peg

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jun 20th, '09, 05:59

I'm not sure if anyone watched "Doctor Who" with Tom Baker. When I watched the first episode, I kept thinking, the way Takuya is acting is very familiar. Then I started recalling Tom Baker who played Doctor Who. I'm not sure if maybe Takuya's been watching it or just mimicking other eccentric scientists. For those who thought Takuya isn't doing a good job acting as an eccentric scientist, maybe they're referencing Galileo too much? There is also the absent-minded professor type.

I didn't like Haruka Ayase's character so much. I kept wishing she could be replaced by someone like Romana, Doctor Who's assistant, who was smart and helpful.

I didn't like Hiro's character either. But I guess like all japan detective drama, there's always the clumsy detective. Someone had to do the role.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 20th, '09, 07:07

You're absolutely right about the DR.WHO tie in. I did not see the whole series but definitely Tom Baker is similar to Kimura...or vice versa... They are all slightly mad and rush around. Very eccentric and Kimura is just the same. Now I appreciate some of his antics a little more as I recognize them.

You opened a window in the memory then.

I bet Kimura knows this Dr.Who. what do you think ?

Peg

Maybayla

Post by Maybayla » Jun 20th, '09, 08:35

I've watched ep.3 the other day. The plot and turns were a little bit boring. But Kame's acting was rather well so i don't understand why people blame him for low rate...

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 20th, '09, 12:42

I really don't any problem with Kame's acting either. as i said, i kind of liked some of his performances and if he is in a new drama (with interesting plot and not just about tasting wine) i would watch that too.
i don't understand why j-viewers were agaist it even before been aired.
the problem with ep 3 was that plot was very silly and predictable. they could have put some more mystery and side story so we wont guess the identity of the murdurer.
That person is playing a role and is probably doing just what the director is telling him to do with every scene. It's not that easy to hit the mark , remember your lines and where the camera is at all times, and then still get yourself into the personality of the character.They rarely do the scenes in sequence and that means holding on to the feeling from the previous take

here where we draw the line between good and bad actor/actress. if they are good enough in their proffession, then they know how to work under these pressures. and actors/actress always can have a say on how they want to portrait their character. 8)

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jun 21st, '09, 06:12

Peggy wrote:You're absolutely right about the DR.WHO tie in. I did not see the whole series but definitely Tom Baker is similar to Kimura...or vice versa... They are all slightly mad and rush around. Very eccentric and Kimura is just the same. Now I appreciate some of his antics a little more as I recognize them.

You opened a window in the memory then.

I bet Kimura knows this Dr.Who. what do you think ?

Peg
I don't know. Do Japanese watch UK sitcoms? Maybe there were other characters who acted similarly? But the whole look and feel reminds me of Tom Baker. The goofy clothing, the bulging curious eyes, the wild hair and hair pulling thing, the scurrying around, the crazy laugh and big weird smile, and even the way takuya talked.

I used to watch practically all Tom Baker's Doctor Who series cuz he was charismatic even if his character was weird and not good looking. The other doctors just couldn't catch my interest.

hehe_mel

Post by hehe_mel » Jun 21st, '09, 06:59

I've seen 3 episodes so far and you know, I am getting hooked on this dorama! What we have to remember is that this is a DRAMA! These shows are created for our entertainment only. I sure am enjoying this show for what it is despite its flaws.

I love the characters! I've been reading the comments about Hiro in this drama and all I gotta is that, "Come on, he's an actor!" As an actor, you shouldn't expect to play the same kinds of roles. It just gets too boring. Here, he is someone different from his roles in other works. I actually love watching him here. He's clumsy, silly, and stupid unlike his characters in Mei-chan's Butler, Absolute BF, Hana Kimi, Room of King, Watashitachi no Kyokasho, etc. Almost every J-actor has played the "naive, stupid, silly, or whatever" role at least once in their aciting career. I think he is doing a great job at playing the naive young detective. He keeps me laughing in this dorama.

And about all the hype bout Kimura, I honestly don't think he's all that. I actually think he is somewhat overrated as an actor. His awards and popularity just make him seem abslutely AMAZING. I actually think that he's always playing it safe. Considering his experiences in this field, playing it that way does not make him all that good at all. But like most audiences, I adore his character in this drama very much. His character is really cute and sweet. His weirdness just makes him so likeable!

I honestly believe that this dorama is NOT as bad as everyone has been saying. If we push aside our expectations, critical thoughts, or whatever, we'll be enjoying it more. Everyone and everything has its own flaws. People, we shouldn't be expecting perfection from one little drama. But I guess these forums wouldn't be all that interesting after all if we avoid criticisms, huh?

I love this dorama for what it is! It's awesome!

Maybayla

Post by Maybayla » Jun 21st, '09, 11:24

hehe_mel wrote: I love the characters! I've been reading the comments about Hiro in this drama and all I gotta is that, "Come on, he's an actor!" As an actor, you shouldn't expect to play the same kinds of roles. It just gets too boring. Here, he is someone different from his roles in other works. I actually love watching him here. He's clumsy, silly, and stupid unlike his characters in Mei-chan's Butler, Absolute BF, Hana Kimi, Room of King, Watashitachi no Kyokasho, etc. Almost every J-actor has played the "naive, stupid, silly, or whatever" role at least once in their aciting career. I think he is doing a great job at playing the naive young detective. He keeps me laughing in this dorama.
You are exactly right about Hiro. I think it's good for him to try another chracter..

watersoflethe

Post by watersoflethe » Jun 21st, '09, 11:59

i finally watched episode 3
sort of late..(stupid finals)
and i dont know why people were complaining about kame ...
personally i feel that he did a pretty good job...
however, although overall i am enjoying this series, i must say that the storyline for episode 3 sort of sucked. it was overly predictable and not at all exciting.
eh~
i hope episode 4 will be more exciting...preview looked interesting with sato takeru...
more excited for the guest after that though..nakama yukie!!! yey!

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 23rd, '09, 00:01

finished watching ep4
i have to say, i liked this ep alot. so much improvement in the story since ep3. i thought Takeru Sato was very good. although i did not recognise him because had a horrible orange hair in mei-chan...
1st of, it was so funny and cute that both Tanbara and Hayashida both bring bananas everytime they need tsukumo's help and how the bunch gets bigger depending on how big the help wanted. :lol
ok, this story made my brain work more. i kind of was convinced that sister was the murdurer but when she admited so easily thought of nakagawa again and now i am suspecting the teacher. maybe because he steals nakagawa's music and plays it as his own? not so sure.
the preview of ep5 did not help much either.
but as i said in earlier post, i am finidng Tsukumo/kimutaku more and more likable. so far this ep was the best of 4. looking forward for ep5

tkah

Post by tkah » Jun 23rd, '09, 01:12

I think the gap between the serious and comedy parts are a bit too drastic. Its like the drama Boss on drugs. But I will still watch and enjoy it anyway. The cast is awsome. Whats with the bananas? Anyone watch Good Luck? They had a banana theme as well.....

coldseleno

Post by coldseleno » Jun 23rd, '09, 01:22

someone can find and upload the 05.30 放送直前 1280......
I wait it so long~
thanks!!!!!

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 23rd, '09, 02:12

Bananas...good for brain and body.

Lots of potassium..good for heart. Easy to eat and safe in their own package also...:-)

Peggy

Maybayla

Post by Maybayla » Jun 23rd, '09, 05:56

I watched ep.4 yesterday. Takeru Sato was very good! I like him more and more

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 23rd, '09, 06:27

I was just idly thinking today about Mr. Brain and his head surgery after that wall fell on him.
If he has more trouble with passing out etc. I was thinking that I would like to see him at the end watching a SMAP show when Takuya Kimura and Goro Inagaki are doing the 'Hostman' skits. Then he would have an inkling of his former life. He would be interested and try to investigate the job of a Host and like it and go back to being a Number One Host instead of a third in line.
I just don't want him to go into coma or die.

Kimura as a Host with all that bling and the impeccable white suit is irresistable.

Peg

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Jun 23rd, '09, 07:56

Isn't it about time they tease us w/ a bit of the story behind Ryoko Hirosue in ep1.

Ayase is one fine actress.
Kimura has done this type of role a million times, if you've seen one, you've seen them all. He is cool though & that's a fact.

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Jun 25th, '09, 22:39

the story with sato takeru was kinda confusing...

summary of episode 5:
so if i got it right, the pro pianist dude steals takeru's music because he found takeru's sister with a dead body. so the pianist apparently promises his sister that he won't tell anyone about "her killing the dude" if she would allow him to call her brother's music his own. takeru's sister tries to cover up for takeru when in fact it was takeru who killed the dude to protect his sister. there are two guys killed. takeru killed one of them, and the pianist killed the other. but because the pianist blames takeru of killing the dude he killed, takeru's sister tries to cover up for both of those crimes. the show doesn't tell us what happened to the pianist and takeru???!!! :blink the second half of the show was about the murder of a woman who was killed by nakama yukie.

Kathstandsalone

Post by Kathstandsalone » Jun 29th, '09, 03:31

In episode 3, I like the explanation of Aibu Saki's brain (one part of it) reacts when she sees her loved one. Kame looked remorseful. I just find it amusing that Kame is dubbed a a rating killer. :mrgreen:

Agreed with a comment above that the supporting guests could have been used to the fullest. Not just because they are popular artistes that we know, but because of the plot. the criminals seem too flat.

I was disappointed that episode 2 with Gackt was only a flashback.... boohoo.

Anyone else find it funny that the chars stick their face to another person's face and talk? heehee.

amhrancas

Post by amhrancas » Jun 29th, '09, 04:51

Issy wrote: i thought Takeru Sato was very good. although i did not recognise him because had a horrible orange hair in mei-chan...
I know!! While I'm not a fan of dreadlocks, the look worked for him in ROOKIES. When I saw Mei-chan, I just couldn't for the life of me figure out what they had done to him, and why!! It was like bad pageant-hair from the south, or something.

I came into this show primarily for Hiro, as I have never been that into Kimura, but his character definitely grows on you, which is a good thing, as Hiro's character is certainly more on the annoying side.

I would also like to mention that some things pointed out as flaws/illogical with some episodes, may actually be standard practice in reality. A good example is the issue of the letter from Gackt to Koyuki in ep2. I know for a fact that prison guards in the US can check incoming mail, but only for contraband. ie: open envelope, remove letter, look in envelope, open letter, close letter, put back in envelope. No reading of the letters allowed. Outgoing mail as well. Only with special exemptions can mail be read before coming in or going out. While it may not make a lot of sense to some people, the inmates do still have a claim to privacy rights. anyway, tl:dr, but this is just an example.

Overall, I like the show, and can understand people's complaints about realism issues, but i learned a long time ago, with tv-- and especially doramas-- to throw realism out the door, as everything is much more enjoyable that way.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 29th, '09, 13:46

I came into this show primarily for Hiro, as I have never been that into Kimura, but his character definitely grows on you, which is a good thing, as Hiro's character is certainly more on the annoying side.
Appearantly, there is more to Hayashida characters than just annoying/ comic relief character. according to Mr Brain's producer in here, we will see more of his masculine side in future eps. his character will develope for better for sure. i can't wait to see this.

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jun 29th, '09, 14:17

man...i can't wait to watch ep5/6 with subs! Nakama Yukie!!! :cheers:

shearerc

Post by shearerc » Jun 29th, '09, 14:24

popoycanton wrote:Isn't it about time they tease us w/ a bit of the story behind Ryoko Hirosue in ep1
Agreed! I love the opening scene. And then I spend the rest of Ep 1 wondering why there was no reference to it anymore. :|

Rozenrot

Post by Rozenrot » Jun 30th, '09, 00:43

I love this drama.
Its what basically got me into doramas. I have seen up to the first half of the 5th episode, each one is great! They just keep getting better and better in my opinion!