An open question....

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

An open question....

Post by aNToK » Jun 4th, '09, 00:03

Believe it or not, I'm not starting this topic to continue the flame war from the Korean Wave thread, but someone made what to me are some very serious accusations about me that I wasn't given the opportunity to address.

Without rehashing the mess of that thread, a very ill-advised little person claimed and implied that I have been making negative comments about Koreans and/or Korea.

As someone who has been a member of this community for over 5 years and an active subber of Korean dramas for the last 4 or so, I find this kind of accusation HIGHLY offensive.

My subbing and one of my businesses deal almost 100% with Korean drama and culture. My wife grew up in and is ethnically Chinese, and I spent a good portion of my youth living in Japan before moving back to California a few decades ago. As far as my race, I'm Irish/American Indian.

My point is this: I find racism, sexism, etc.. to be among the most offensive things one can claim about another person and I cannot and will not allow even the implication of such about me.

I would give an open challenge to the person who made such a claim about me (or anyone, if they so choose) to dig through the 2700+ posts I've made on this forum over the years (or ANY forum I'm a member of for that matter, I'm aNToK everywhere) and find a post or two that could show anything of the sort.

Bonus points if you find one that shows me to be prejudiced or biased against Koreans in particular, as that seems to be what was claimed.

You'd think all those K-dramas I've worked on and the fact that I run a K-drama retail site would give someone a clue otherwise, but hey, happy hunting!!!!!

Elitist Grammarian

Post by Elitist Grammarian » Jun 4th, '09, 00:17

You shouldn't take insults from internet racists seriously. Especially as far as Korea and Japan are concerned.

I mean, I once had a girl on Soulseek threaten me with physical harm just because I said I prefer kana and kanji to hangul.

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Jun 4th, '09, 00:23

If I was Korean I would be pretty sick of guys like you coming over and taking my women and trying to make a profit of my culture ,ethnicity and language and forcing your multi-cultural virtues on me. But then I am not Korean so I don't really care. Good luck to you and to your business.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jun 4th, '09, 00:50

|ZERO| wrote:If I was Korean I would be pretty sick of guys like you coming over and taking my women and trying to make a profit of my culture ,ethnicity and language and forcing your multi-cultural virtues on me. But then I am not Korean so I don't really care. Good luck to you and to your business.
???

First, no "guys like you" stuff. The question was about me personally. Since I'm married and my wife is not Korean, I think Korean women are "safe" from me. I don't "force" my multi-cultural values on anyone, though I do take exception to people who come up out of the blue and act like my mixed marriage and Eurasian son are somehow "wrong." Haven't seen much of that though, so folks can feel whatever they want.
Any complaints about me profiting off of Korean culture'll have to wait until I actually make a profit. Always seem too busy to actually promote my site, but thanks for the well-wishes...

Hmm... While I'm at it, if anyone finds a post where they feel I'm acting prejudiced towards any ethnic group, kindly include the entire post in your quote. Context is rather important n such matters, especially since I've been involved in more than a few debates, polite and otherwise on many topics here over the years....

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Jun 4th, '09, 02:03

If I was European I would not consider the children of you guys to be Eurasian since you aren't really European. But then I am not European so it doesn't matter.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jun 4th, '09, 02:10

I don't know why, but I find your response entertaining.

Gir

Post by Gir » Jun 4th, '09, 02:27

I guess they could be Amerasian, or for those who don't like the USA being called America, USAsian.

I think I found a picture of watermelonghost:

Maybe he should go back home to be with his buddies: http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/uglykorea/

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jun 4th, '09, 02:53

Elitist Grammarian wrote:You shouldn't take insults from internet racists seriously. Especially as far as Korea and Japan are concerned.
I completely agree with the first statement.

I know it'll be hard put but don't let those racist comments get to you, aNToK. If it's any worth, the drama community definitely appreciate all the kdramas you've subbed over the years.
Elitist Grammarian wrote:I mean, I once had a girl on Soulseek threaten me with physical harm just because I said I prefer kana and kanji to hangul.
seriously? :crazy: Well you can rest assure you won't have the same problem coming from me. Kanji = Hanzi :)

|ZERO|

Post by |ZERO| » Jun 4th, '09, 05:24

There is no offical name for them so I guess you can call them anything you want.