Audio/Video out of sync for various videos.

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
jkim78

Audio/Video out of sync for various videos.

Post by jkim78 » Aug 14th, '09, 05:02

eg. Atashinchi no Danshi (all episodes, 1440 x ... RAW version).

Problem summary:
I frequently get audio/video sync issues with many video files I've downloaded (such as that above), and I don't know why it happens or how to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Problem Details:
When any video (that this issue occurs on) is played, everything is in sync. However, the audio plays faster/slower than the video, so that over time, a sync issue becomes apparent. Fast forwarding / rewinding resynchronizes the audio/video, but as this difference in play speed keeps happening, it's not watchable without fastforwarding/rewinding after a short time. pause does not fix the issue, which is even more irritating.

Does anyone else suffer this issue, and does anyone know how to fix it?

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Aug 14th, '09, 05:12

Some computers, especially older ones, can't play HQ files. Anything much over 704x368 and mine does exactly what you're experiencing. Of those that can play the 1280x720 files, I don't how many might not be able to play the 1440xwhatever files. I'm sure someone here can tell you specifically what you'd need to do to get your computer to play the HQ files (if at all), but I'm sure that's the issue you have.

jkim78

Post by jkim78 » Aug 14th, '09, 05:24

Thanks for the reply.
My computer that I am trying to play the file on is not too shabby.
Core2Duo 2.0
2gig DDR2
160gig hdd.

Will I need something more powerful than this to play the vid?
The vid seems to be MP4.

The other thing is that I have experienced this same issue with files of lesser quality as well... even the 704x368 ones, so it may not be the computer, but something to do with the file or the player/codec. I just don't know what, since I've tried 7 different codec packs and 4 different computers with same results.

groink

Re: Audio/Video out of sync for various videos.

Post by groink » Aug 14th, '09, 06:23

jkim78 wrote:Problem summary:
I frequently get audio/video sync issues with many video files I've downloaded (such as that above), and I don't know why it happens or how to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas?
The symptoms sound very consistent. With that, here are some ways of determining the cause:

1. On the video file in question, do the same sync problems occur when using multiple video players? Always try a combination of players, such as VLC, MPC, etc.

2. How do you download these files? Via BitTorrent? Via direct downloading from places like megaload, rapidshare, etc.?

3. Are there any other things in common among the problematic video files? For example, are they all AVI? Are they all XviD/DivX?

4. Going along the line of what toyotaku was getting at... When you play these video files, is your PC doing other things in the background, such as downloading or any other CPU-intensive operations?

--- groink

jkim78

Post by jkim78 » Aug 14th, '09, 06:29

Hi groink,

Thanks for the reply.

It's not all files that are affected, but it seems that the files that are affected with the issue do not have any special common traits. Please note that the majority of files play OK, but there are batches of files that seem to exhibit this behaviour.

1. Yes.
I tried Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic and GOM player, and it happens on all 3.

2. There are many that I've experienced the issue.
I downloaded Atashinchi no Danshi RAW files from here (via Bit Torrent). Some others that had the same problem were copied from my friend's HDD via DVD (he doesn't suffer the same problem, and is not aware of any special configuration that he'd performed). Others yet, were downloaded via HTTP (i.e. megaupload/rapidshare).

3. No. Some are AVI, others are MP4. I don't know about the XviD/DivX thing. How can I tell?

4. No. The PC is doing nothing, and the same thing occurs on my Home Theatre system for the files affected.

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by peacht » Aug 14th, '09, 06:34

I frequently had this problem and found that kmplayer played problematic files smoothly so you may want to give it a try.

jkim78

Post by jkim78 » Aug 14th, '09, 06:37

Thanks. Will give that a go.

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » Aug 14th, '09, 06:50

I'm not using windows anymore so the terminology may be different:

1. Kill any processes running in the background that shouldn't be running. You can check that via system monitor. While you're at it you could check which processes are taking up the greatest % of cpu usage.

2. You may have to increase the amount of swap memory.

Is the fan going hard on while you're playing the video and does the computer seem really slow?

jkim78

Post by jkim78 » Aug 14th, '09, 06:53

Hi theuncontactable,

No. The computer does not exhibit any unusual performance symptoms between those videos that have this issue, and those that do not.

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Aug 14th, '09, 07:08

Have you tried VLC? (a codec-less solution?)

jkim78

Post by jkim78 » Aug 14th, '09, 07:12

I've just tested kmplayer with an affected file, and it seems kmplayer plays the affected files fine and without any issues.
I haven't tried VLC.
It doesn't really tell us what the cause was though..., which I'd be interested in finding out so i could play them on my home theatre.

groink

Post by groink » Aug 14th, '09, 07:26

jkim78 wrote:I've just tested kmplayer with an affected file, and it seems kmplayer plays the affected files fine and without any issues.
I haven't tried VLC.
It doesn't really tell us what the cause was though..., which I'd be interested in finding out so i could play them on my home theatre.
My bet is that you have a video codec issue. The cause is when a video codec that is not robust runs into problems with bad video frames. People don't realize this but a LOT of videos have mis-timed or corrupted video frames, most of the times caused by bad ripping software. The bad frames are discarded by the codec, but the video player doesn't bother removing the same frame sort-a-speak in the audio, causing the audio to slowly get ahead of the video.

The better video players like kmplayer and VLC contain its own set of codecs. The codecs are designed to play along with the player, unlike standard codecs built within the operating system. This allows for the player to handle bad frames nicely, and the viewer will never notice the glitches. This is why I think you have a codec issue - the videos play fine in kmplayer (and probably VLC once you try it.)

So you have two choices:

1. Stick with kmyplayer or VLC, and forget about the codec problems.

2. Remove the video codecs from your system. Download one of the codec packs available. Removal depends on where the video codecs came from - either all together via a codec pack, or installed individually.

--- groink

jkim78

Post by jkim78 » Aug 14th, '09, 07:52

Thanks for the explaination, groink.
I guess I can't play videos on my home theatre system then... :(

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by peacht » Aug 14th, '09, 10:06

Is your home theatre system aligned to your pc or a separate system?
If it's separate do you still experience the same lag?
If it is a feature of your pc then you should be able to fix it if it is a codec conflict/issue.
I remember that zoom player has a facility to remove all codecs from your system from where you can start afresh. Personally I prefer cccp codec pack.

jkim78

Post by jkim78 » Aug 15th, '09, 13:01

My home theatre is: http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/home-cinema-sys ... 5/1106692/

It's not connected to my PC. It's connected to my HDTV.
The lag occurs when I'm playing affected DivX files from DVD (burnt media) on that home theatre.

CCCP was one of the first codec packs I used, and it had the lag from day 1.