Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Jul 28th, '09, 09:32

Is Konkatsu good? I'm thinking of watching that.

hishidanlpo

drama and sumo

Post by hishidanlpo » Jul 30th, '09, 02:56

hello
i like to know if there is drama of sumo
thanks

groink

Post by groink » Jul 30th, '09, 03:34

JSA member Uchidate Makiko wrote several dramas about sumo. The only one I'm familiar with is Hirari, starring Ishida Hikari. She plays a young woman who loves sumo and ends up becoming a nutritionist for a sumo stable.

Another drama is Chiyonofuji Story, also written by Uchidate-san. This is a biography about the yokozuna.

You won't find these anywhere, but for historical significance I had to mention these dramas. I haven't seen any recent dramas related to sumo (of course, the sport is dropping in popularity, hence the lack of interest in the subject.)

--- groink

emeralda

Post by emeralda » Jul 31st, '09, 06:05

i just finish my watching on Attack No 1. ueta aya is main castt..
this is really moving my emotion...
although in real world, im not involved in any sports, but this drama really touch my deep heart... the closing songs by aya-chan also become my favaorite song now..
love aya-chan forever...

p/s - really want to watch aya chan in ABARENBO MAMA, but there is no english subs... so sad.. i already download the raw file.. but i heard TISK will subbing this series... looking forward for that...
:wub: :wub: :wub:

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Jul 31st, '09, 12:59

cantaboy wrote:Is Konkatsu good? I'm thinking of watching that.
I am enjoying it a lot, but then I again it has a bunch of actresses I love like Aya, Shaku and Ryo. Kuniyuki is a pretty stupid person and will most likely annoy you, but I love all of the other people in it.

I say see the first episode to see if you can take Kuniyuki.

mygaptelinc

Post by mygaptelinc » Jul 31st, '09, 13:17

Press Release - New Audio Book to Help ETHNIC GROUP [e.g Japanese] parent Salvage Their Children from being lost culturally. Check
<a>Amazing Tips for Immigrant Parents</a> for more details.

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Jul 31st, '09, 14:01

hu?

tunix_2008

Post by tunix_2008 » Aug 1st, '09, 15:13

sinnie wrote:Konichiwa! I am new here and still sort of new to the Jdrama world.
I have watched and love so far these. Any recommendations on what I like? (most of them I have read the mangas for and thats how I decided to watch them.)

zettai kareshi
Koizora
hanazakari no kimi tachi
hana yori dango
kimi wa petto
Nodame Cantabile is good especially Tamaki Hiroshi but I personally vote for the anime version (since you're into manga, the anime is more in depth).

I've also recently just seen My Boss My Hero -- if you're planning to watch this make sure your seat has a seat belt. You'll definitely fall off your chair laughing! Nagase Tomoya's acting is priceless!!

I also saw Mukodono 2003. It's funny and another gem for Nagase Tomoya. However, if you're planning to watch My Boss My Hero, better see Mukodono first that way Mukodono won't be a let down. NT really hit it out of the ballpark with My Boss My Hero.

Q.E.D. was a pleasant surprise. It's interesting and grows on you. Takahashi Ai is good and she's cute too. Nakamura Aoi is good as expected. You may also want to see him in Gakko ja Oshirarenai! This is a high school slice of life drama/comedy. A bit more realistic than Hana Kimi.

Atashinchi no Danshi is fun -- along the lines of Hanazakari no Kimitachi e. It has three of its main characters in common plus I found out from one of the forums that the Hana Kimi robot is in this too.

Stay away from Mei-chan no Shitsuji. It promotes itself as akin to Hana Kimi but NOT!!! It's boring, silly (not in a good way) and the girl just could not act. Not even Mizushima Hiro's cuteness can save this drama.

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Aug 1st, '09, 16:09

I think I have to recommend "Sasaki Fusai no Jingi Naki Tatakai" to anybody who loves comedys. It has a great script, great actors and a little romance. Anyway, you should give it a try. I can't understand why so less people actually know about it.

makkun

Post by makkun » Aug 7th, '09, 14:01

hi there, i'd like to ask if you guys know any GOOD spine-chilling drama (japanese or korean) which involves solving crimes, mysteries, murder (even horror) etc. that will really keep one hanging on the edge of his seat? ^^; yeah something like that.

of course it follows that the drama should be fast-paced..
is liar game like that? i've read the manga, but never seen the live.

i'd also like to see a dark/mature drama like last friends.

help, anyone?
thank you so much!! :)

Iella

Post by Iella » Aug 7th, '09, 14:17

And one more request from me: could you please recommend something similar to "Between Dog and Wolf" and "Black and White"? Nice criminal/romantic story with happy end? Thanks in advance!

TokyoTokyoAkiba

Post by TokyoTokyoAkiba » Aug 7th, '09, 14:26

well I was wondering, why is here no Eng sub for the jdorama LIFE? Or have I missed it? ;_;
the same for Buzzer Beat, okay but this is still new, but I really love it even when I just watch two episodes. very funny characters inside! ^^

theskillster

Post by theskillster » Aug 7th, '09, 14:33

TokyoTokyoAkiba wrote:well I was wondering, why is here no Eng sub for the jdorama LIFE? Or have I missed it? ;_;
the same for Buzzer Beat, okay but this is still new, but I really love it even when I just watch two episodes. very funny characters inside! ^^
SOS subbed LIFE, it should be as a Hard sub, I know because I enjoyed that series and it did take sometime before it was all subbed.

Moodilic

Post by Moodilic » Aug 7th, '09, 18:50

I would like to know what interesting/good dramas there are that are prior to 2001 that has not been subbed in English.
I'm searching for such old dramas (either uploaded here or not). If you can help me, redirect me to DramaWiki or with the title in Japanese.

Thank you!

TokyoTokyoAkiba

Post by TokyoTokyoAkiba » Aug 7th, '09, 20:12

theskillster wrote:
TokyoTokyoAkiba wrote:well I was wondering, why is here no Eng sub for the jdorama LIFE? Or have I missed it? ;_;
SOS subbed LIFE, it should be as a Hard sub, I know because I enjoyed that series and it did take sometime before it was all subbed.
Thank you very much! Now I found it...^^" And do you know why I couldn't find it before? Because SOS called it 'RAIFU' xD

Anyway, thanks again <3

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Aug 7th, '09, 21:11

And what else would it be called? LoL! Yes, if can be fun when the name is in katakana.

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Aug 7th, '09, 21:12

And what else would it be called? LoL! Yes, if can be fun when the name is in katakana.

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Aug 7th, '09, 21:34

I´m sure someone has already recommend them but:
Proposal Daisakusen - my ultimate favorite - right now i´m watching it for the third or fourth time and I´ll never get tired of it :)
1 litre of tears - I´m not sure how many tissues were wet when I finished watching it.
Gachi baka! - well I really enjoyed watching it even though the main character is boring - there´s a lot of great supporting characters like Minoru (Tegoshi Yuya) and Kouta (Masuda Takahisa) >.<
Dance Drill (Dandori) - the story itself isn´t so good, but it´s really enjoyable jdorama
Nobuta wo Produce - I think I don´t have to explain myself
Kurosagi - just amazing jdorama with great story, even tough it would have been better with more romance scenes (in the movie two minutes for Maki isn´t enough!)
My Boss, My Hero - this jdorama is for everyone who wants to laugh their heads off after watching something so sad as 1 litre of tears is :D

cantaboy

Post by cantaboy » Aug 8th, '09, 02:42

I agree. I watched a My Boss, My Hero episode after watching 1 Litre of Tears just to keep the happiness level up. :)

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Aug 8th, '09, 03:18

Almost anything with Kimura Takuya.
Here are some of my favorites:
1. Nodame Cantabile
2.Hero
3. Pride
4. Unfair
5. Kimi Wa Petto (You're My Pet)
6. Last Christmas
7. CHANGE
8. Attention Please
9. Voice
10. BOSS
11. Long Vacation
12. Love Generation
13. Around 40
14. Top Caster
15.Beautiful Life

Start downloading, Good Luck

Spike1455

Post by Spike1455 » Aug 8th, '09, 04:04

That is easy....

Inochi - with Mita Yoshiko & Izumi Pinko

Oshin - with Tanaka Yuko

Tobu Ga Gotoku
- with Tanaka Yuko

Kasuga no Tsubone - Reiko Ohara

My Little Chef - (its in my ClubBox)

Attention Please - (in my 'Box too!)

Good Mourning - with Atsuko Asano

Koi No Paradise
- with Yuko Asano

Kimi no Hitomi ni Koishiteru - with Yuko Asano

....Gee, I could go on forever (with the "oldies but goodies"!)

Spike :study:

Gleep

Dark stuff

Post by Gleep » Aug 9th, '09, 01:41

I'm looking for really dark, depressing and/or unpleasant themed dramas. Whether it's just a love triangle that's sad enough to make you cry non-stop, such as Last Friends, or chilling and disturbing on another level, it's all good. The important thing is that there is none of the typical Japanese silliness anywhere in it. And it has to be subbed, as I don't speak Japanese at all. Anyone? Please?

kuro570

Re: Dark stuff

Post by kuro570 » Aug 9th, '09, 02:24

Gleep wrote:I'm looking for really dark, depressing and/or unpleasant themed dramas. Whether it's just a love triangle that's sad enough to make you cry non-stop, such as Last Friends, or chilling and disturbing on another level, it's all good. The important thing is that there is none of the typical Japanese silliness anywhere in it. And it has to be subbed, as I don't speak Japanese at all. Anyone? Please?
A Million Falling Stars
Maou
Taiyou no Kisetsu
Kou Kou Koushi
1 Liter of Tears
Kamisama mou sukoshi dake
Byakuyakou
Triangle
Watashitachi no Kyokasho
Yako no Kaidan (I'm not sure if its done being subbed yet)
Iryu
Iryu 2
Kemonomichi (not subbed)
Kurokawa no techo (not subbed)
Warui Yatsura
Koori no Hana
Bokura no Yuki
Tsubasa no oreta tenshitachi
Koori no Sekai

tunix_2008

Post by tunix_2008 » Aug 10th, '09, 05:56

makkun wrote:hi there, i'd like to ask if you guys know any GOOD spine-chilling drama (japanese or korean) which involves solving crimes, mysteries, murder (even horror) etc. that will really keep one hanging on the edge of his seat? ^^; yeah something like that.

of course it follows that the drama should be fast-paced..
is liar game like that? i've read the manga, but never seen the live.

i'd also like to see a dark/mature drama like last friends.

help, anyone?
thank you so much!! :)
Try Maou. It seems like a perfect fit for your requirements -- suspense drama, etc.

In so far as mysteries are concerned, I've seen Detective Conan 1 and 2 live action starring Oguri Shun as Kudo. It's pretty much like the anime. Q.E.D. is a light detective-type story about a young genius who solves mysteries using logic. Cases are usually thrust upon him by his classmate/friend who's the nosy daughter of a police detective.

As for horror, I've seen Ghost Train, a movie about ghosts trapped in a train station. It also stars Oguri Shun.

plain_love

Re: Dark stuff

Post by plain_love » Aug 10th, '09, 06:59

Gleep wrote:I'm looking for really dark, depressing and/or unpleasant themed dramas. Whether it's just a love triangle that's sad enough to make you cry non-stop, such as Last Friends, or chilling and disturbing on another level, it's all good. The important thing is that there is none of the typical Japanese silliness anywhere in it. And it has to be subbed, as I don't speak Japanese at all. Anyone? Please?
i'm recommending "Zeni Geba" its pretty dark and have a sad ending

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Aug 10th, '09, 08:04

Moodilic wrote:I would like to know what interesting/good dramas there are that are prior to 2001 that has not been subbed in English.
I'm searching for such old dramas (either uploaded here or not). If you can help me, redirect me to DramaWiki or with the title in Japanese.

Thank you!
Before 2001=
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kiseki_no_Hito
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Border
after 2001=
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Primadam
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Last_Present_%28NTV%29

kia_pika

Post by kia_pika » Aug 10th, '09, 13:13

Hello! I recently watched Nodame Cantabile and Hana Kimi. And I so like them! Can you suggest other J-dramas with the same humor and romance?

Thanks in advance! :D

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » Aug 10th, '09, 13:48

kia_pika wrote:Hello! I recently watched Nodame Cantabile and Hana Kimi. And I so like them! Can you suggest other J-dramas with the same humor and romance?
Hotaru no Hikari
Hana Yori Dango
Seigi no Mikata
Satorare
Celeb to Binbo Taro
Anego
Haken no Hinkaku
Yamada Taro Monogatari
Nobuta wo Produce
Papa to Musume no Nanokakan

tunix_2008

Post by tunix_2008 » Aug 10th, '09, 14:21

kia_pika wrote:Hello! I recently watched Nodame Cantabile and Hana Kimi. And I so like them! Can you suggest other J-dramas with the same humor and romance?

Thanks in advance! :D
Romantic Comedies:
Atashinchi no Danshi (ensemble cast pretty much like Hana Kimi)
Hotaru no Hikari
Hanayome wa Yakoudoshi
Love Shuffle
Mukodono
Yume Wo Kanaeru Zo
Zettai Kareshi

School comedies with some romance
Gakko ja Oshierarenai!
Q.E.D.
My Boss My Hero -- highly recommended!!

sixpoint8

Japanese TV Show Recommendations Please

Post by sixpoint8 » Aug 10th, '09, 15:45

Hello All!

I'm looking for some recommendations for great Japanese TV shows and/or movies. Any genre is fine, but I'm particularly into comedies and love stories. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone knows of top 10 lists out there, that would be extremely helpful as well.

Thanks in advance!

WobbySabi

Post by WobbySabi » Aug 14th, '09, 22:09

Ryuusei No Kizuna!!!!! :clap:

lordsilent

Post by lordsilent » Aug 14th, '09, 23:59

Im pretty sure I saw a recommendation for stand up!! in this thread somewhere so I watched it and enjoyed it very much! Are there any shows I can watch that are like this?

Some other stuff I've watched an enjoyed:
Puzzle
Ashita no Kita Yoshio
Love Shuffle
Tiger and Dragon
MBMH

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

sixpoint8

Post by sixpoint8 » Aug 15th, '09, 01:59

Thanks WobbySabi, I just read the synopsis on Wiki and it looks pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to watching :cheers:

sweetcandy_

Post by sweetcandy_ » Aug 15th, '09, 12:36

These are well known and probably have already been recommended but still some of my favourites are:

Nobuta wo Produce - A story of a great friendship between three totally different high-schoolers combined with funny and some mysterious moments. (What's more YamaPi acting as Akira is a must see!!! )

Attention Please - Starring Ueto Aya this is a cheerful story of growing up in terms of life perception. Watching this dorama fills you up with energy.

Dragon Zakura - A school dorama that as jaycee05 said "actually teaches". Rersonally I started watching it because of Yamapi a year ago. But watching it gradually I became engrossed in it. It did make me want to study harder.

Densha Otoko - I think there is no need for explanation for this one. Just watch it.

Others highly recommended:

Funny and cheerful:
Brother Beat
Hana Kimi
1 Pound no Fukuin
Stand up!
Gokusen (I,II,III)
Mei-chan no Shitsuji

Oh! My Girl!
Binbo Danshi
Kimi wa Petto

Romantic:
1 Littre of tears
Koizora
Honey and Clover
Tatta Hitotsu no Koi
Zettai Kareshi
Hana Yori Dango (I,II)

And some more:
Life
Mr. Brain
Liar Game
Kurosagi

I hope you'll N-Joy them :-)

sad clown

Post by sad clown » Aug 19th, '09, 22:28

kunichiwaaaaaaaaaa ..

hey guys i wana see a drama about basketball

any recommendations ?

adohr

Post by adohr » Aug 20th, '09, 22:15

sad clown wrote:kunichiwaaaaaaaaaa ..

any recommendations ?
you should definitely try watching Buzzer Beat! it is still airing in japan so it isn't complete, but it's really good so far! :) also, there's romance in it

thelefteyeguy

Post by thelefteyeguy » Aug 21st, '09, 01:39

adohr wrote:

any recommendations ?
you should definitely try watching Buzzer Beat! it is still airing in japan so it isn't complete, but it's really good so far! :) also, there's romance in it
seriously...there's very little basketball so far in 5 episodes ;)

abarenboboss

Suggestions, something similar to My Boss My Hero

Post by abarenboboss » Aug 21st, '09, 02:12

Hi All,

Need help. Please suggest other series that is funny like My Boss My Hero.

Arigatou!

adohr

Re: Suggestions, something similar to My Boss My Hero

Post by adohr » Aug 21st, '09, 03:50

abarenboboss wrote:Hi All,

Need help. Please suggest other series that is funny like My Boss My Hero.

Arigatou!
some funny series that you can try:

atashinchi no danshi
attention please
hana kimi
hotaru no hikari
mei-chan no shitsuji
one pound gospel
nodame cantabile
papa to musume no nanokakan
seigi no mikata
binbo danshi
love shuffle
stand up!!
yukan club

hope you enjoy! :D

doramnrose@gmail.com

Post by doramnrose@gmail.com » Aug 22nd, '09, 19:58

Here my fovorite JDramas: ;)

1º - Buzzer Beat
2º - Liar Game
3º - Nobuta wo Produce
4º - Code Blue
5º - Tatta Hitotsu no Koi
6º - My Boss My Hero
7º - Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2
8º - Ryuusei no Kizuna
Last edited by doramnrose@gmail.com on Aug 22nd, '09, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

doramnrose@gmail.com

Post by doramnrose@gmail.com » Aug 22nd, '09, 20:01

thelefteyeguy wrote:
adohr wrote:

any recommendations ?
seriously...there's very little basketball so far in 5 episodes ;)
Yeah... But Buzzer Beat is a really good JDrama...
It's my favorite JDrama this moment :)

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Aug 24th, '09, 20:29

Can someone recommend a teen drama? Boys over flowers I already tried.

tepiestar

Post by tepiestar » Aug 25th, '09, 01:37

I've seen a fair few. haha. and i've dropped even more. for the person above, i'll highlight the teen dramas. some of them are stretching it a bit though.

those with a :mrgreen: are the best of the best.
those with bold are high school / teen dramas

Ashita no Kita Yoshio
Atashinchi no Danshi :mrgreen:
Cat Street
Detective Conan :mrgreen:
Gokusen :mrgreen:
Hana Yori Dango
Himitsu no Hanazono :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kami no Shizuku
Kanojo to no Tadashii asobikata
Kimi Hannin Janai Yo Ne?
Kimi Wa Petto :mrgreen:
Kindaichi Shonen
Liar Game
Mei-chan no Shitsuji
Nana
Oh! My Girl
Puzzle (2007)
Sexy Voice and Robo
Rescue
Remote
Ryuusei no Kizuna :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tantei Gakuen Q / Special
Yamada Taro Monogatari
Yaoh

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Aug 25th, '09, 01:43

I've been bored with most of this seasons dramas, can anyone recommend me some dark theme dramas like Taiyou no kisetsu or Byakuyakou? This season seems kinda down on these type of dramas ; ;

outcast_within

Post by outcast_within » Aug 25th, '09, 18:35

Hmm i haven't watched any dorama lately. Last one i tried to watch was some bikergang/mangaka (with his bikergangsecret ofcourse having to be kept a secret) and every ep ended in a storage hall fight. It was like one of those really generic format shows that keep to a formula.
It kinda make me lose interest in dorama, especially when i started to recognize certain supposedly funny actors from one generic show into another.

Shows i liked, Densha Otoko, Ikeburo west gate park, nobuta wa produce, Knight/robolover....,my boss my hero
Shows i didn't like: hana yori dango s2, that mafia teacher s2, most specials from succesfull shows.
Anyone can recommend me something really good from the last three seasons?

asahii

Post by asahii » Aug 26th, '09, 21:38

The dramas I liked very much:
Ikebukuro West Gate Park
Nobuta wo Produce
Kimi wa Petto - lots of people seem to dislike this one... I really liked it, though :-)
Gokusen - THE FIRST ONE.

NINGEN SHIKKAKU - Not for those who don't like dark themes... It deals with some really serious issues and includes characters that break your heart. But it's probably the best drama I've ever seen.

NagashPT

Post by NagashPT » Aug 27th, '09, 18:56

Hello everyone, thanks for helping us poor souls in search of other J-drama shows!

What I have really really liked so far:
--> My Boss My hero: This show was amazing! Super funny.. couldn't stop watching!
--> Tiger and Dragon: Also very interesting, the way they told the stories was superbly well connected with the storyline
--> Nobuta wo produce: Very interesting drama, amazing characters

--> Stand UP!: Very funny as well

DISLIKED:

---> Gokusen: sure, the first season was funny and cute.. but everything forward was awfully repetetive.

Currently im also watching BUZZER BEAT, and im enjoying it a lot, so what im searching for is a show similar to Buzzer Beat or similar to those I referred in my list that would somehow match my tastes for Romance / drama / comedy !

Thank you all so much for your help !

gilmey

Post by gilmey » Aug 28th, '09, 21:22

i only watched one jdrama so fat it was bloody monday and i really like it
i wreally like suspense and thrillers like 24 for example
can anyone reccomend me another good series?

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Aug 28th, '09, 21:35

gilmey wrote:i only watched one jdrama so fat it was bloody monday and i really like it
i wreally like suspense and thrillers like 24 for example
can anyone reccomend me another good series?
Byakuyako: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Byakuyako

chicaman

Post by chicaman » Aug 30th, '09, 08:07

hi any recommendation for something similar to gokusen? I like the funny elements in it.

TLab3000

1st JDorama for a group of 28 to 55 year old people

Post by TLab3000 » Aug 30th, '09, 21:49

I'm really not sure which dorama to pick. Maybe you can help me?
I'm supposed to show a bunch of people a jdorama. Those guys know almost nothing about Japan and have never seen a jdorama before. They're between 28 and 55 years old and they've all just begun to learn Japanese.
Which jdorama would you recommend? Which one would be entertaining, informative and/or fun and leave a good impression of Japan?

Akiio

Post by Akiio » Aug 31st, '09, 08:39

chicaman wrote:hi any recommendation for something similar to gokusen? I like the funny elements in it.
Errmm :

Gachi Baka!
Rookies
Dragon Zakura
Hana Kimi
Nobuta wo Produce

@gilmey I recommend you " Maou "

sayingallineed

Post by sayingallineed » Sep 2nd, '09, 20:11

ahhhh
lol my aggrivation for i think i've seen all the recent Yakuza dramas =P
you know i have a feeling there aren't too many
my boss my hero... i dropped mid way.. didn't like it
loved yankumi in gokusen.... (saw all 3) wayy cheesy which is why i loved it
Dragon Zakura... not yakuza but i enjoyed that.
GTO was love.ness for the comedy. hehe
Waruboro is a movie... reminded me of the outsiders... so watch the movie. ;P
Rookies was good
Crows Zero... the movies 1 & 2
Ninkyo Helper -- currently watching one of my favourites so far
Kisarazu Cat's Eye
i think those are all i've seen
is there any left.
im looking for not serious serious lol
:heart:

tonakai

Post by tonakai » Sep 4th, '09, 15:37

Loved:

Nodame Cantabile
Dekichatta kekkon
My boss my hero
Nobuta wo produce
Dragon zakura
Densha Otoko
CHANGE
Summer snow
Hotaru no hikari

Liked:

Tiger & Dragon (still watching)
GTO
Engine
Good luck
Hero
SP
Long Vacation

Watched:
Hana yori dango
Glass no Kamen

Dropped:

Lunch no joou
Trick Season1
Gokusen
Kimi wa petto
Stand up!
Kuitan
Karei naru ichizoku
Sasaki Fusai no Jingi Naki Tatakai
Koukou kyoshi (the darkest, sickest thing I have ever seen)

Watching
Kisarazu Cat's eye (probably in Dropped)

Any suggestions ?
Thank you!

impreza

horror or thriller

Post by impreza » Sep 5th, '09, 07:03

hey can anyone recommend a decent horror a thriller series. Ever since i had seen the ju-on television miniseries, man i was hooked. I grew up during the slasher era of horror films in the states, so Asian horror drama's and cinema have really set the standards for this kinda of genre in my opinion(meaning no mindless killing, must use brain to watch). Silk was sweet.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Sep 5th, '09, 07:19

sayingallineed wrote:ahhhh
lol my aggrivation for i think i've seen all the recent Yakuza dramas =P
is there any left.
im looking for not serious serious lol
:heart:
Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu comes immediately to mind
Maybe Tiger and Dragon?
impreza wrote:hey can anyone recommend a decent horror a thriller series. Ever since i had seen the ju-on television miniseries, man i was hooked. I grew up during the slasher era of horror films in the states, so Asian horror drama's and cinema have really set the standards for this kinda of genre in my opinion(meaning no mindless killing, must use brain to watch). Silk was sweet.
Well, there's obviously the original Ring series.
Anata no Tonari ni Dareka Iru is pretty wicked, but I don't think it's been subbed.
Chakushin Ari
Trick series (these are actually comedies, but there are some things they come across which, under other cirumstances, would be pretty damn freaky :fear:)
More along the lines of psychological thrillers would be series like:
Byakuyakou
A Sleeping Forest
Maou
Zeni Genba

sansukini

Post by sansukini » Sep 5th, '09, 17:59

i just finished watching "PRIDE" with Kimura Takuya.... I'm really outdated since I've only started watching jdramas for 2 or 3 mos now. But i really enjoyed watching this drama. I have watched this twice and I feel like I can watch it over and over again... so I think I'll buy a dvd of this.

Anyway, these are the things I've watched so far...
I started with
*Hana Yori Dango - I love the first season, i like the 2nd season but did not really enjoy it as much as the first season.

*Hana kimi - this is hilarious (in a good way). I love this drama better than the taiwanese version.

*Nodame Cantabile - my favorite dorama. It has all the elements you want to see in the drama. I watched this 3x, i think.

*Zettai kareshi - I love this, not just because of moco..

*Stand up - i didn't like the first few episodes of this series but it's really enjoyable towards the end. it's a little perverted though..

*Oh! My Girl - This is a family drama.. but I really enjoyed watching this.. i was disappointed that it was finished with just 9 episodes.

*Proposal daisakusen - you'll get annoyed with Yamapi here, not just because of bad acting, but he doesn't get anything done here after all the efforts going back in time. finally, he managed to confess, on rei's wedding day (of all times). the confession made me cry.. but it's just conflicting because she already went through the whole ceremony then she left the groom. I kept thinking each episode ''fess up, idiot!".. anyway, I still love the show. Hehehe!

*Gokusen - I watched this with y sister. She kept criticizing the shows i watch but she kept laughing when she watched this. We both love it. we dropped the 2nd season though. It seemed repetitive. we didn't watch the third season at all.

*Kurosagi - I like this series eventhough I'm not really amazed by Yamapi's acting. He really lacks facial expression. The movie's boring and it left so many holes on the story.

*Nobuta wo produce - i enjoyed this as well. I like that this is not like any other make-over drama. Instead of changing her physical appearance, they gave her self-confidence which made her happier.

*My Boss, My Hero - it's so funny.. that's it.

*Atashinchi no Danshi - i love this drama, with all the Ikemens and Maki. I have to say, the special effects are a little corny, but it's really funny, and i like the teamup of Mukai Osamu and Maki. Kawaii!

*Sekkai no Chuusin de, Ai wo Sakebu - Every episode made me cry so much, I though our house will be flooded. I love this.

*Pride - I'm so glad i watched this. i felt like this is the best dorama i've ever watched. I'm not a sports drama fan, I like friday night lights, but i didn't enjoy it the way I enjoyed Pride. Really can't compare this drama with anything else. It's so vibrant and energetic even from the first episode and it will keep you hooked till the last episode. Plus it has the best ending ever.

I didn't enjoy :
DEATH NOTE

I dropped :
Maid Deka - It seemed so corny from the start, and looks so anime-ish!

I still have no idea what i will watch next! I hope it's as good as Pride. I really love jdoramas better than kdramas or filipino dramas that drag the story too much, you just get tired watching or you lose interest!

tonakai

Post by tonakai » Sep 6th, '09, 01:46

I still have no idea what i will watch next! I hope it's as good as Pride. I really love jdoramas better than kdramas or filipino dramas that drag the story too much, you just get tired watching or you lose interest!
Judging from your history, take my word for it and watch Hotaru no hikari.
Drop me a line if you don't find enough seeds for episodes in 704x396
Cheers

imarkon

Post by imarkon » Sep 6th, '09, 15:16

Hi,
im sorry for having just registered and writing already a suggestion request as my first entry ever in this forum, even though i've been lurking discussions for some quite a time now.

Anyway im writing now because im a law student and a jdorama fan, and wanted to ask you guys -who surely have much more experiences than me- about law/legal drama subbed series, since im really interested in how japanese laws work.

yeah i know thats trying to know something off a dorama series is a kinda silly, but yea, i'd like at least to give it a try.

hope you can help!
thanks

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Sep 6th, '09, 21:26

imarkon wrote:Hi,
im sorry for having just registered and writing already a suggestion request as my first entry ever in this forum, even though i've been lurking discussions for some quite a time now.

Anyway im writing now because im a law student and a jdorama fan, and wanted to ask you guys -who surely have much more experiences than me- about law/legal drama subbed series, since im really interested in how japanese laws work.

yeah i know thats trying to know something off a dorama series is a kinda silly, but yea, i'd like at least to give it a try.

hope you can help!
thanks
No problem ^^ you're welcome!!!
hmm let's see .. Hokaben you'll find the soft subs here.. Also I would recommend Majo Saiban you'll find its hardsubs..
hope you will enjoy them^^

imarkon

Post by imarkon » Sep 6th, '09, 23:50

woa thanks for these suggestions, i'll be downloadin right away

chicaman

Post by chicaman » Sep 7th, '09, 04:43

fuuniest drama??

sk8trgil2l

My listing of what I liked or would recommend

Post by sk8trgil2l » Sep 7th, '09, 10:31

1) Hana Yori Dango - season 1 & 2 including the movie. -Romantic
2) Hanazakari no Kimitachi e - hilarious. You will find yourself bursting out laughing.
3) Gokusen 1, 2, & 3. Although on the third one it get a bit repetitive but the hotties were there providing a great distraction.
4) Ikebukuro West Gate Park -
5) GTO - kinda like gokusen with teacher trying to teach life lessons
6) Nobuta wo Produce - revolves around school and friendship
7) 1 Litre of Tears - and boy the title is not lying. This is a tear jerker so beware but definitely worth watching.
8) Tatta Hitotsu no Koi - romantic story but also sad.
9) Beautiful Life - romantic
10) Sekai no Chuushin de, ai wo sakebu - romantic and sad.
11) Kimi wa Petto - funny
12) Dance Drill - sports
13) Ganbatte Ikimasshoi - sports
14) Binbo Danshi - a bit weird but funny at times
15) Death Note - I liked it up until the end.
16) Long Love Letter - weird plot but if you like the actors go for it. I had seen several.

I think that's a good list for anyone to get started. The ones listed at the top I liked more than others. The ones in the middle I like as well as the ones at the top but I don't like to cry all the time and they always made me do that.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Sep 7th, '09, 18:19

chicaman wrote:fuuniest drama??
My Boss My Hero Yakuza - School drama
Nodame cantabile Music
Hana kimi School drama - Romance

there is no specific order so choose depending on your fav Genre ^^

sistergirl

Post by sistergirl » Sep 7th, '09, 18:58

i am currently watching buzzer beat

tonakai

Post by tonakai » Sep 9th, '09, 01:46

I figured I need to improve the list I posted a few days ago before asking for suggestions:

Loved:

Nodame Cantabile (talent, music, friendship, easygoing female character, silly and fun)
Dekichatta kekkon (pregnancy before marriage, strict conserative in-laws, character evolution, goofy situations)
My boss my hero (friendship, yakuza, school life)
Nobuta wo produce (popularity, self-confidence, school life)
Dragon zakura (ambition, self-confidence, underachievers emergency training for tokyo univ., fun)
Densha Otoko (unlikely romance, courage, geek, friendship)
CHANGE (politics, teacher runs for PM)
Summer snow (romance, conservative)
Hotaru no hikari (romance, easygoing female character, mature male character)

Liked:

Kekkon dekinai otoko (socializing, solitude, late marriage)
Tiger & Dragon (rakugo)
GTO (school life and relationship with teacher)
Engine (family, children)
Good luck (light mixture of topics: strict boss, romance, quality of service at work..)
Hero (talented detective, nonconformism, cheekiness)
SP (special police unit)
Long Vacation (romance)

Watched:

Kurosagi
Hana yori dango (school life, teen-ish)
Glass no Kamen (talent, acting)
Hana Kimi (friendhsip, romance, girl disguised as boy in all boy school, teen-ish)

Dropped:

(after a few episodes)
Lunch no joou (lunch queen)
Trick Season1
Gokusen
Kimi wa petto
Stand up!
Karei naru ichizoku
Koukou kyoshi (the darkest, sickest thing I have ever seen)

(after 1 episode)
MR.BRAIN
Kuitan
Sasaki Fusai no Jingi Naki Tatakai

On hold
Kisarazu Cat's eye
Atashinchi no danshi

Checking
Beautiful Life

I fancy a bit of comedy, a bit of romance but most important of all, a good story and a message =)
Thank you for your recommendations!
Last edited by tonakai on Sep 16th, '09, 02:16, edited 2 times in total.

aYa_YooL

Post by aYa_YooL » Sep 10th, '09, 09:25

I'm currently watching "atashinchi no danshi", I recommend that jdrama! hahah

thanks for recommendations!!, I was looking for dramas to watch ^^

isatis

Looking for suggestions

Post by isatis » Sep 14th, '09, 14:52

I'm currently on the hunt for something new to watch after having finished Remote and Galileo and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for similar dramas, maybe with a touch of romance this time around?

Dramas I've already tried and liked are Gokusen, Mr. Brain, Trick and Tantei Gakuen Q.

Dramas I've tried and not liked are Boss and Yukan Club.

Anyone got any suggestions? :)

tonakai

Post by tonakai » Sep 16th, '09, 02:14

@isatis: I recomment SP and Hero if you're into police/detective shows

Akuma2636

Post by Akuma2636 » Sep 16th, '09, 11:25

Hey I just started getting back into Japanese TV after 3 -4 years, and I was wondering what you guys might suggest?
I used to watch a lot of anime, but I've grown up a bit since then and want something a bit more substancial.

I'm currently watching Shinigami no Ballad which I really liked (Escpeially because it had so many gravure idols I know!!)
And I remember watching and liking Shimokita Glory Days

I don't really generally like lovey dovey shows, or detective shows.

But I do like a few American shows that might help you guys recommend something for me to start off with.
I love Bones, NCIS, Stargate, Star Trek & Firefly (#1). I love Sci Fi, so please if you can, help me get back into Japanese TV ^____^

Thankyou!!!

Kenitai

Recommend me some good late 80's - early 90's drama

Post by Kenitai » Sep 16th, '09, 15:22

I'm looking for some good old Japanese drama's. It's hard to look them up by year and which ones are great.

Could anyone recommend me some late 80's- early 90's series?

ik0n

Post by ik0n » Sep 20th, '09, 18:47

Hey,

I was wondering if there's any good yakuza related dramas? I've seen My Boss My Hero, Ninkyo Helper, Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu. I want something good and not oldies.

Thanks in advance.

tunix_2008

Post by tunix_2008 » Sep 20th, '09, 19:25

ik0n wrote:Hey,

I was wondering if there's any good yakuza related dramas? I've seen My Boss My Hero, Ninkyo Helper, Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu. I want something good and not oldies.

Thanks in advance.
We've recently seen Tiger & Dragon which aired in 2005. It's Nagase Tomoya before My Boss My Hero. He plays a yakuza debt-collector who has to collect from a rakugo (traditional Japanese story-telling theater) headliner. His first experience watching rakugo changed his life and he wanted to stop being yakuza and start "telling stories". He begged the rakugo headliner to teach him the "stories" in exchange for tuition fees which the rakugo headliner will use to pay back the yakuza boss. He ends up telling the old "stories" adapted into present day situations which he and the rakugo man's son get into. It's not as funny as My Boss My Hero but Nagase Tomoya here along with the rest of the cast are more endearing.
But I do like a few American shows that might help you guys recommend something for me to start off with.
I love Bones, NCIS, Stargate, Star Trek & Firefly (#1). I love Sci Fi, so please if you can, help me get back into Japanese TV ^____^
Since you like Bones and NCIS, I suggest you watch Mr. Brain starring Kimura Takuya. It plays pretty much like Bones -- the IPS reminds me of the Jeffersonian. The gadgets they use are much more impressive than CSI. I'm inclined to believe that some of it is Sci Fi or at least in the development stage but the recent arrest of Sakai Noriko may have proven me wrong. Tracking down suspects using triangulation of cell phone tower signals were used both in that infamous incident and in the show Mr. Brain. Plus it also stars Ayase Haruka who used to be a gravure idol.

Of course, there's always Meitantei Conan -- Detective Conan live action but not a series, only 2 specials to commemorate 10 years of the anime.

We've also seen Q.E.D. It's a light, detective drama in a school setting. A genius teenager comes home from America (MIT) and enrolls in a Japanese high school to assimilate the culture of his heritage. He's befriended by the nosy, busy-body daughter of a police detective.

If you like the spy/sci fi genre, there's Karei Naru Spy starring Nagase Tomoya. I have not yet seen this because it's still currently airing and not completely subbed at the moment. Clips of it show that it plays a little (or a lot) like Austin Powers. So there's espionage, sci fi gadgets and plenty of good looking girls.

ik0n

Post by ik0n » Sep 20th, '09, 19:48

tunix_2008 wrote:
We've recently seen Tiger & Dragon which aired in 2005. It's Nagase Tomoya before My Boss My Hero. He plays a yakuza debt-collector who has to collect from a rakugo (traditional Japanese story-telling theater) headliner. His first experience watching rakugo changed his life and he wanted to stop being yakuza and start "telling stories". He begged the rakugo headliner to teach him the "stories" in exchange for tuition fees which the rakugo headliner will use to pay back the yakuza boss. He ends up telling the old "stories" adapted into present day situations which he and the rakugo man's son get into. It's not as funny as My Boss My Hero but Nagase Tomoya here along with the rest of the cast are more endearing.
I'm sorry but it's my fault for not mentioning about it, but I already seen Tiger and Dragon. However, thanks for the suggestion though. My fault. Is there might be anything else?

Dudie

Post by Dudie » Sep 20th, '09, 19:54

I'm looking for some nice boy meets girl or girl meets boy drama. I allready saw many of these but some are not to my liking. I want it a bit cinderella/HYD (saw all HYD versions). Where a girl (or a boy) falls in love with someone he/she can't get but there will be a happy ending. Or when they are enemies at first but then start to like eachother. With hardships and such ofcourse. Needs to have a good plot.

Ohh and I'm looking for drama's like 1 litre of tears / Taiyou no uta.

I allready looked through some pages but there are so many :(