[Discussion] JIN (Osawa Takao, Ayase Haruka, Uchino Masaaki)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
hey9

[Discussion] JIN (Osawa Takao, Ayase Haruka, Uchino Masaaki)

Post by hey9 » Oct 16th, '09, 21:54

DramaWiki
Official Site

Synopsis:
The story follows a brain surgeon named, Minakata Jin, who has spent the last two years in anguish, as his fiancee lies in a vegetative state after an operation he performed. One day, he faints at the hospital and awakens to find himself transported back in time to the Edo period. He is soon attacked by a samurai, but he escapes with the help of a man named Kyotaro. Kyotaro suffers a serious injury to the head while trying to protect him, but Jin manages to save his life despite a lack of proper medical equipment. Because of that, Kyotaro's sister Saki begins taking an interest in Jin and becomes his assistant. Meanwhile, Jin is determined to find a way back to the present.

Softsubs announced by Heiwa Fansubs

I was waiting for someone to create a topic on this show, but no one did lol. What did everyone think of the first episode? I thought the first 20 minutes was a little bit boring, but once Jin was transported back, it became interesting. I'm hoping that this will be my must-watch drama of the season. I'm also hoping someone uploads the .avi file in 1280x720 version :mrgreen:

BTW, for fans of ROOKIES, Kyotaro Tachibana and Kenta Kiritani are in it. And for fans of NINKYO HELPER, the kid reminded me a lot of Ryota haha.

Spoilers EP01
Oh, and forget the SAW movies and Takashi Miike, watching the operations in the show totally traumatized me. So intense and cringeworthy. Especially the operation on the woman...augh. But I kinda loved it haha.

The only thing that annoyed me was that old woman that kept trying to stab Jin...someone give her a good backhand.

The fetus was weird though...
Last edited by hey9 on Mar 12th, '14, 21:33, edited 3 times in total.

hectic3

Post by hectic3 » Oct 17th, '09, 08:49

I couldn't agree more with the first 20 minutes but I think it was necessary to build up the backstory. Thruthfully speaking, I was waiting for it to just move on, but later on in the episode it draws upon this so that you can understand where Minakata is coming from.

Abosolutely enjoyed the rest of the episode and love how puzzled the poor Edo-period populous were when being bombarded with medical terms. The first episode has made me really excited and it has set up the foundations for the rest of the story. I can't wait for the second episode.... perhaps I shall watch it on Keyhole TV :P

EDIT: The kid was more of a brat than what Ryota (Ninkyo Helper) ever was! Though, he did an awesome dogeza pose.

sect0r7

Post by sect0r7 » Oct 17th, '09, 11:31

Ok i just watch the 1st episode with chinese subs and i must say WOW this got to be 1 of the best drama this season.Prior to watching i was thinking the main lead is not that attractive enough for me to watch but i can tell you all that is simply so wrong!!The story plot was fantastic and so refreshing from the normal romance type.

I love medical dramas but this got to be 1 of the best protrayed medical drama.Going back to the Edo period is so funny yet so exciting.I was like sitting on the edge of my seat thinking what will happened next..It somehow mixes the essence of tenchijin + team batista gosu medical skills together as one.I can't wait for the next episode seriously.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 17th, '09, 12:16

English subs are out. :salut:
can't wait to watch it.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Oct 18th, '09, 01:14

ep1 was so good.. so he went back to the past and changed the past basically.. those who were supposed to die, he cured them.. anyone know what happened with the photo? why did it change??

sect0r7

Post by sect0r7 » Oct 18th, '09, 03:25

furransu wrote:ep1 was so good.. so he went back to the past and changed the past basically.. those who were supposed to die, he cured them.. anyone know what happened with the photo? why did it change??
well it was said that since he changed the history(the mum who had her head hit by the horse was supposed to died in history but he saved her), the victory sign in the photo also changes..

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Oct 18th, '09, 03:42

i still dont know about the foetus bit and how it appeared.. but i think i know who the guy is in the 1st episode.. its the doctor i believe.. he went back to his world using the foetus he got from the edo era to get medical supplies.. anyone think the same?

sect0r7

Post by sect0r7 » Oct 18th, '09, 03:50

furransu wrote:
i still dont know about the foetus bit and how it appeared.. but i think i know who the guy is in the 1st episode.. its the doctor i believe.. he went back to his world using the foetus he got from the edo era to get medical supplies.. anyone think the same?
wow now that you mention it i realised that it may be true.In that case does it means he can comes and goes freely?This is getting more and more exciting.Can't wait for todays episode.

menaine

Post by menaine » Oct 18th, '09, 22:52

just watched ep1
it's good, just like everyone say
the thing is although Minakata doing surgery in the edo era which there is no technology or else like we have in the modern, but in this drama the doctor still holding the basic of medicine like sterilization etc, so it's make me feel 'oh it make a sense'
It is a must watch drama for this season
furransu wrote:
it's seem like that, he look like someones who has knowlegde about medicine,
but, what about the rookie samurai? MInakata chasing after him because his voice remind him to the guy who has fetus in his head, am I missing something?

that fetus so weird, i though it a horror for a while, when that fetus open his eyes

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Oct 19th, '09, 13:06

That guy Jin is running after ia not a rookie samurai, he is a ronin, which is a lordless samurai.

-----

I wonder how far the production company/author of the script is going to go cause this show could be very very interesting. First off that guy Jin is running after is a real guy in Japanese history, and Jin realizes he is getting involved in some important Japanese history. Also, I think he realizes that he has already changed the future, and that the place he came from is not the same one as before, so I wonder if he would even want to go back,

But I really want to know how far they are going to take this? Sakamoto Ryoma, the guy Jin is running after is planning on killing Katsu Kaishu, played by Kohinata Fumiya. I won't say what he does, so go and read wikipedia if you want to know, but what if he does something different? What if Jin is the reason, and was always the reason that Ryoma does what he does?

I guess Jin wasn't a Trekker cause all I am thinking about is Kirk and the Federation Prime Directive. Jin has landed right in the middle of an important part, Bakumatsu Period, and anything he does is going to change an important part of Japanese history.

This could really be a good series!

fleng

Post by fleng » Oct 19th, '09, 13:49

Epic Drama . The first episode was awesome. My two favourite actors from j movies particularly Christmas on 25th Avenue , it just couldn't get any better. A definite must watch this season. It's so awesome to see great actors doing doramas :P

fseventh

Post by fseventh » Oct 19th, '09, 14:17

This series is definitely the best fall drama for me. I have watched a few of new dramas but none of them made me want to continue watching them except JIN. I always love historical drama and now it's mixing with medical plot line. It's so interesting! I hope they can maintain the pace of the story. It can be an epic drama if they want :cheers:

menaine

Post by menaine » Oct 19th, '09, 21:30

wmcnair370 wrote:

That guy Jin is running after ia not a rookie samurai, he is a ronin, which is a lordless samurai.

-----
haha, yeah that what i mean, i just don't know how to call it

i think you are right, i got to see wikipedia to building up the story
ooh it's more serious than i though, but it's interesting

hectic3

Post by hectic3 » Oct 20th, '09, 10:17

I do believe that they can keep the story up as this series is based off a Manga series by the same name. ( http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIN-%E4%BB%81- ).

I was just wondering if anyone has come across the manga (scanned or otherwise) as I'm pretty intrigued by the story. Any help will be most appreciated!

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Oct 20th, '09, 10:19

I think it's wonderful how I was totally immersed into the story to even realize that the casting lineup is suppose to be the one which is more impressive (2 of which supposedly do only movies in recent years).
Then you have the principle vs ethics + adaptability vs improvisatory factors that pretty much sealed the "interesting content" deal for me. :P
So yeah, this one is a sure-watch this season. :thumleft:

xploring

Post by xploring » Oct 20th, '09, 11:56

hectic3 wrote:I do believe that they can keep the story up as this series is based off a Manga series by the same name. ( http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIN-%E4%BB%81- ).

I was just wondering if anyone has come across the manga (scanned or otherwise) as I'm pretty intrigued by the story. Any help will be most appreciated!
I have read about 9 volumes of the manga (chinese version), it's still ongoing but has not been scanlated into English. The subplot with Jin's girlfriend is actually new and not in the original manga.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Oct 21st, '09, 07:27

so from ep2 we know..
the person in ep1 with bandage is that ryoma sakamoto guy.. so i guess he was helping jin getting medical supplies from the future :P

hectic3

Post by hectic3 » Oct 21st, '09, 08:45

furransu wrote:so from ep2 we know..
the person in ep1 with bandage is that ryoma sakamoto guy.. so i guess he was helping jin getting medical supplies from the future :P
Didn't we kinda know that already from ep1?

fseventh

Post by fseventh » Oct 21st, '09, 14:22

2nd episode is a little bit slow in progress isn't it? But I think it's still awesome. The next episode will be more problematic for Jin :| :|

I also can't wait for history plot in this drama. They gave hinst for history plot in every episode!

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Oct 21st, '09, 14:33

hectic3 wrote:
furransu wrote:so from ep2 we know..
Didn't we kinda know that already from ep1?
AFAIK that person's identity was only revealed in ep2.
Brain twister: If Jin really send Ryoma to the future to get medical supplies, then why didn't Jin come himself? Is he altering the future? Will the future still be the same for him?. I love this show, solid cast, everything is solid.

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Oct 21st, '09, 14:41

This series is worth watching, though
I skipped the scenes where he is sculpting people's heads.

All the time travel series/books have the basic dilemma: do you deliberately mess around with history (nudging it in certain directions, trying to make it "better/right"), or try and avoid messing with it altogether. And, as the series suggests, any alterations, no matter how small they may seem, have unintended and unforeseen consequences. Now that he has helped fix the cholera outbreak who knows what will happen. But it will be interesting to find out.

And it must be about time to meet the past reincarnation of his girlfriend.

I am thankful that there is much less silliness and bizarre happenings than normal!
A big thanks to the subbers.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Oct 21st, '09, 14:51

i still dont understand how the foetus is inside ryoma's head in ep1.. i think we'll know more about the foetus in ep3 based on the preview

sect0r7

Post by sect0r7 » Oct 21st, '09, 14:57

hmm seems from the official jin website bbs forum that there are some speculations there will be jin2010 sequels..perhaps it may hold true.As i had read the manga,i find that the flow of the story was rather slow.Episode 2 is still stuck on the cholera disease.For those who had read the manga, you should had known that if they were to folllowed the manga storyplot closely, there are still many things awaiting to happen.

I should not post much of the spoilers from the manga but
judging from the preview of episode 3, they had only reached the part of the story where Jin sinseh suffered from the cholera. There are still alot of things to be happened and the most interesting are the relationship between jin sinseh and Miki,.but yet there are still not much interaction between him and Nakatani Miki.Total episodes for this is 11 and if i were to calculate by a rough gauge, they can't possibly finish the whole manga within 11episodes.And the most crucial fact is the manga is still ongoing,it has no ending yet or whatsoever so it will be kind of strange if the production staff were to write their own ending.

garcon

Post by garcon » Oct 21st, '09, 15:13

wow episode 1 is really cool...

menaine

Post by menaine » Oct 21st, '09, 22:25

that featus must be has an important part for the story , right?

why after seeing that featus, jin got a great headache
episode 2, a little bit slow

voth

Post by voth » Oct 22nd, '09, 14:35

For those of you who have been reading the manga does anything happen between Jin and Saki? It seemed as if, from watching episode 2, Saki was becoming quite fond of Jin. Also how long does the Chlorea arc last? It seemed from the previews Jin was starting to present symptoms and we see Saki attempting to take care of him. If there is something of a romantic link forming between the two is this it or does it happen later in the series?

fleng

Post by fleng » Oct 22nd, '09, 16:17

Well I guess we gotta be prepared for a 2 season Drama :)

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Oct 22nd, '09, 23:21

From Yomiuri Daily:

For good TV this autumn, call the doctor
Wm. Penn

The one drama definitely worth tuning in this autumn is Jin. The TBS tale of a time-traveling neurosurgeon (Sundays, 9 p.m.), debuted with Video Research Ltd. ratings of 16.5 percent.

Minakata Jin (Osawa Takao) questions his skills after performing difficult surgery on his fiance (Nakatani Miki) that has left her comatose.

While chasing a mysterious, fleeing patient, Jin is catapulted back to 1862 where he saves the life of a samurai whose sister, Saki, (Ayase Haruka) becomes his assistant. Later, he discovers Yoshiwara's top geisha looks just like his comatose fiance.

Unsure what it all means, Jin keeps busy combating a cholera epidemic and reassessing the meaning of being a doctor. He realizes he's not much of a healer without all his advanced medical tools and rediscovers the desire to really help cure patients. Jin, based on the popular Super Jump manga, works on several levels. The story is intriguing, the contrast between feudal Edo and the modern-day Tokyo it became is thought-provoking and the supporting cast, including Uchino Masaaki as Sakamoto Ryoma and Takeda Tetsuya as famed doctor Ogata Koan, are great. Attention to detail in the dialogue and period sets gives it all a realistic feel. Do check it out. It's definitely this quarter's best bet.

xploring

Post by xploring » Oct 23rd, '09, 00:02

voth wrote:For those of you who have been reading the manga does anything happen between Jin and Saki? It seemed as if, from watching episode 2, Saki was becoming quite fond of Jin. Also how long does the Chlorea arc last? It seemed from the previews Jin was starting to present symptoms and we see Saki attempting to take care of him. If there is something of a romantic link forming between the two is this it or does it happen later in the series?
I had only read 9 or 10 volumes of the manga and it's very light on romance. Saki does develop feelings for Jin, but aside from one or two scenes, Saki mainly stayed by his side to assist him.

The cholera arc should be wrapped up by the end of next episode I would think. Any longer and they would really struggle to fit in the story with Nakatani Miki's character in the remaining episodes. There are a few other cases/operations too in between but they probably will opt to skip some of them.

sect0r7

Post by sect0r7 » Oct 23rd, '09, 13:53

if they were to follow every details on the manga,soon ayase will be stripped naked and revealing her breast.Well of course this will not happened in dorama but in the manga this really happens

voth

Post by voth » Oct 23rd, '09, 18:30

xploring wrote:
I had only read 9 or 10 volumes of the manga and it's very light on romance. Saki does develop feelings for Jin, but aside from one or two scenes, Saki mainly stayed by his side to assist him.

The cholera arc should be wrapped up by the end of next episode I would think. Any longer and they would really struggle to fit in the story with Nakatani Miki's character in the remaining episodes. There are a few other cases/operations too in between but they probably will opt to skip some of them.
I didn't expect it to be overly romantic relationship considering the plot and/or story up to this point, but I would expect at least a little play on the part of the two leads.

Does the manga up to where you are say anything about Jin's comatose fiancee, Mirai and/or about Nokaze? By the way what exactly is Nokaze supposed to be? An oracle or some kind/fortune teller not something like a geisha, right?

xploring

Post by xploring » Oct 23rd, '09, 23:37

voth wrote: I didn't expect it to be overly romantic relationship considering the plot and/or story up to this point, but I would expect at least a little play on the part of the two leads.
There is a scene of Saki embracing Jin in some forest, but that only came about because of the traditional medical practitioners who felt threatened by Jin's out-of-this-world medical knowledge/techniques. Those characters seems to have been completely left out judging by the characters relationship diagram, so I don't know about the drama. The age difference of 20 years between Jin and Saki in the manga is a major barrier in Jin's mind to a romantic relationship between them.
voth wrote: Does the manga up to where you are say anything about Jin's comatose fiancee, Mirai and/or about Nokaze? By the way what exactly is Nokaze supposed to be? An oracle or some kind/fortune teller not something like a geisha, right?
Jin's comatose fiancee is completely new. There is very little information about Jin's past in the manga, though there is an image of a nameless romantic partner.

There is nothing super-natural about Nokaze, or any of the other characters. She is the top geisha in Yoshihara(sp?) and will eventually retire and leave the place. She will lead Jin to new patients, and be a patient herself. I am not sure how much you want to know... She is not a regular character like Saki and faded out of the story from time to time in the manga.

SMAPcracklepop

Post by SMAPcracklepop » Oct 23rd, '09, 23:57

xploring wrote:
voth wrote:
voth wrote: Does the manga up to where you are say anything about Jin's comatose fiancee, Mirai and/or about Nokaze? By the way what exactly is Nokaze supposed to be? An oracle or some kind/fortune teller not something like a geisha, right?
Jin's comatose fiancee is completely new. There is very little information about Jin's past in the manga, though there is an image of a nameless romantic partner.

There is nothing super-natural about Nokaze, or any of the other characters. She is the top geisha in Yoshihara(sp?) and will eventually retire and leave the place. She will lead Jin to new patients, and be a patient herself. I am not sure how much you want to know... She is not a regular character like Saki and will fade out of the story from time to time in the manga.
This isn't a spoiler, so I won't put it under tag, but an important distinction to make. Nokaze is not a geisha, but an oiran, which are sort of the predecessors to geisha. The main difference between the two is that oiran like Nokaze are prostitutes. You can see in the first episode she ties her obi in the front, which is a mark of her profession. However, unlike regular prostitutes, oiran are high-class and trained in in music, dancing, all that stuff that geisha would go on to be trained in as well. And among oiran, Nokaze appears to be the highest rank.

BTW, I'm liking this drama. First time poster, long time lurker. :mrgreen:

xploring

Post by xploring » Oct 24th, '09, 01:41

Thanks for the clarification. :) I didn't know that.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Oct 24th, '09, 17:43

OH HAI FETUS!

Really digging the show. I'm not a fan of Ayase Haruka but I'm really liking her character in this one, she's strong willed and smart, but not a beyotch. I understand more of where her mom is coming from, so I don't dislike her as much anymore.
Last edited by hey9 on Mar 12th, '14, 21:35, edited 2 times in total.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Oct 24th, '09, 18:20

lol damn that fetus is scary!

blackbalsam

Post by blackbalsam » Oct 24th, '09, 19:50

JIN was the first drama I chose in summer to watch from the list of upcoming autumn'09, and I was expecting smth....hmmm....interesting, great and I'm really happy that my spinal brain didn't let me down. Nice acting, immersing content, topic of opposite things, not just Tokyo vs Edo but also those little details like men vs women. Worth watching!!!! :)

P.S. Everytime I hear "formalin-kun" I start laughing - ばかですね (笑)

lenrasoon

Post by lenrasoon » Oct 25th, '09, 01:05

i really liked the first episode of JIN, it's my first time watching a "historical" drama so i hope that the future episodes will be as good as the first one i just saw. Oh and i love the ending theme song by MISIA, such a beautiful song.

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Oct 26th, '09, 02:14

hey9 wrote:Image
OH HAI FETUS!

Really digging the show. I'm not a fan of Ayase Haruka but I'm really liking her character in this one, she's strong willed and smart, but not a beyotch.
FORMALIN-KUN SCARES ME

I used to not like Ayase Haruka after watching her in some variety shows (a bit too tennen for my liking) but she's really a good actress. I'm quite impressed with her in this drama.

I think the patient who tried to run away with formalin-kun and the medical supplies was actually
Dr. Jin himself

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 26th, '09, 02:47

blackbalsam wrote:P.S. Everytime I hear "formalin-kun" I start laughing - ばかですね (笑)
same here :lol :lol :lol . it always make me laugh. love the name.
i am just loving this show more and more with each ep. have to admit though, i am not so keen on watching his step by step detailed treating way of each one of his patients. specially in ep2 and treating people with "korori ":P

@brokenparadise

VERY ineteresting thought. it does makes lots of sense. :scratch:

SMAPcracklepop

Post by SMAPcracklepop » Oct 26th, '09, 03:04

brokenparadise wrote:I think the patient who tried to run away with formalin-kun and the medical supplies was actually
Dr. Jin himself
I agree! I'll be really surprised if it's NOT err...ano hito. :whistling:

noobee

Post by noobee » Oct 26th, '09, 03:13

what is that!

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Oct 26th, '09, 03:14

SMAPcracklepop wrote:
xploring wrote:
voth wrote:
This isn't a spoiler, so I won't put it under tag, but an important distinction to make. Nokaze is not a geisha, but an oiran, which are sort of the predecessors to geisha. The main difference between the two is that oiran like Nokaze are prostitutes. You can see in the first episode she ties her obi in the front, which is a mark of her profession. However, unlike regular prostitutes, oiran are high-class and trained in in music, dancing, all that stuff that geisha would go on to be trained in as well. And among oiran, Nokaze appears to be the highest rank.

BTW, I'm liking this drama. First time poster, long time lurker. :mrgreen:
great info, thanks. Adds a whole new depth to the show. It bits like these that we outsiders miss, but downright obvious (I assume) to the locals.

fseventh

Post by fseventh » Oct 26th, '09, 12:21

Rating for episode 3 was more than 17% :cheers: :cheers: . This series definitely got steady ratings and they deserved it.
I just finished it without sub, I think he realized that perhaps person who came into the future to get formalin kun and emergency skit was himself? When he heard how his voice became hoarse when he was sick and resembled the voice of that person? I don't know. I have a very limited Japanese skill. And the kid's mother dead. Perhaps that;s the sign that no matter how, people can't change the destiny? Because the picture "peace" sign back to the normal position. And episode 4 is definitely will be more and more interesting, because finally, he met his fiancee in the past and Saki found his picture with his fiancee :goggle:

wolfsbane_desu

Post by wolfsbane_desu » Oct 27th, '09, 20:30

I'm really loving this drama, especially Uchino Masaaki's Sakamoto Ryoma!

I also think that the guy who had formaline-kun in his head is actually Jin. I wonder if in the end all of these happenings in the Edo period aren't in Jin's head because he actually has a brain tumor. If you notice on episode 1 he seemed to have a terrible headache.

It would kind of suck if all this was provoked by a brain tumor though.

OnlyWish

Post by OnlyWish » Oct 27th, '09, 21:36

blackbalsam wrote:P.S. Everytime I hear "formalin-kun" I start laughing - ばかですね (笑)
haha, me too :-)

i've only watched episode 1 so far but i might watch 2 and 3 today (i hate getting addicted and not having more episodes to watch :cry:)

JIN is a very engaging drama so far!! if you're into dramas like these, you should try dae jang geum, damo, and hong gil dong as well

wolfsbane_desu

Post by wolfsbane_desu » Oct 27th, '09, 21:59

OnlyWish wrote:
blackbalsam wrote:
JIN is a very engaging drama so far!! if you're into dramas like these, you should try dae jang geum, damo, and hong gil dong as well
Indeed, i watched all of these and they are wonderful. Especially Damo!

hey9

Post by hey9 » Oct 28th, '09, 01:17

@ furransu, brokenparadise: I know all of you secretly love the fetus, just admit it XD

@ wolfsbane: I think "it was all a tumor-induced hallucination" would be akin to "it was all a dream". Lazy writing and I really really hope they don't go that route. Although it would be kind of funny if it did hehe

New theory: the fetus...is Minakata-sensei.
Another great episode, and I think the ratings reflect that.

So far my favorite aspect in the series is seeing how Minakata-sensei implements modern medical knowledge using old-school techniques and instruments. I actually enjoy seeing all the medical stuff...maybe not the bum juice though...

I am also digging the female characters in the show. Even Saki's mom has become pretty good. I was expecting Saki to face a lot of sexism, but I haven't seen a lot of that. The old doctor even allowed her to insert that groin IV hehe

Poor Kiichi, though...how bad is that kid's luck? His mom gets hit in the head by a horse and then gets killed by some random samurai. I wonder where he will go now? I hope he stays with Minakata.

fleng

Post by fleng » Oct 29th, '09, 11:34

Man oh man, the drama is just getting better and better. Can't wait for episode 4! Effin Epic!

Kae

Post by Kae » Oct 29th, '09, 13:14

wolfsbane_desu wrote:I'm really loving this drama, especially Uchino Masaaki's Sakamoto Ryoma!

I also think that the guy who had formaline-kun in his head is actually Jin. I wonder if in the end all of these happenings in the Edo period aren't in Jin's head because he actually has a brain tumor. If you notice on episode 1 he seemed to have a terrible headache.

It would kind of suck if all this was provoked by a brain tumor though.
Man, I can see this as a possibility. I hope not. I hope they do a different twist. Oh, wait this is based on the manga and it's not even finished yet right?

cantabileblue

Post by cantabileblue » Oct 31st, '09, 00:46

Well, this definitly is a great drama. I guess Im already adicted already. :D
I share the opinion of many in this forum, I mean, that the doctor is the patient in episode 1, and I think one simply way to know it is based in the place where the fetus was storage after the operation. I think it will be extremely hard for someone who just wake up from an operation to know the exact location of that thing.
I also agree with the female lead, she is just great, I love the way she behaves, because I thought that she probably be annoying asking a lot of question in the busy times, but she doesnt, she is a great help, in cases of need or confusion she make the right desicion and never has to be told twice about something.
Hope this keep with the great quality it has till now. I cant wait for next episode :P

shioki

Post by shioki » Oct 31st, '09, 09:22

i think that the theory about who the patient is make sense too. maybe thats why jin's headache stopped after he landed in edo.
formalin-kun looks rather cute when its not trying to scare people :D

hectic3

Post by hectic3 » Nov 1st, '09, 05:23

shioki wrote: formalin-kun looks rather cute when its not trying to scare people :D
Cue dramatic eye opening scene

xploring

Post by xploring » Nov 1st, '09, 05:27

Is it just me,
or did the V sign in the photo change back to the other side in episode 3...

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Nov 1st, '09, 05:56

I've just started watching 1epi today and I was amazed by how much it exceeded my expectations. I had no intention in watching at first because it's ancient lol...not a very big fan of that. But after reading some really good reviews and recommendations, I go ahead and I'm grateful I did! The 1st epi was awesome. Lots of action and really well-directed scenes. :D

It's very interesting. I enjoyed this more than Tokyo Dogs really. I think this will easily be my fav this season.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 1st, '09, 12:49

xploring wrote:Is it just me,
or did the V sign in the photo change back to the other side in episode 3...
It changed back. They mentioned it I think. He was worried he might change the future but realized, sometimes the future can't be changed. It will correct itself. Someone he saved that was suppose to die, might not live past another encounter anyhow. So the photo was changed back.
cuz the lady got killed by the random samurai

levi88

Post by levi88 » Nov 1st, '09, 12:59

ep. 4 just finished airing just now. barely understand anything. will wait for RAW and the subs this week.

hectic3

Post by hectic3 » Nov 1st, '09, 13:04

Just watching it on Keyhole TV. It dropped quite a few times and I think I missed some key stuff. Otherwise it was pretty interesting....
such as introducing Nokaze's story, and how the photo completely changed . I wonder what he saw right at the end as well (he said he saw something unbelievable). Can't wait for ep 5 where he makes penicillin, lol
I will rewatch it when the raw comes out though

levi88

Post by levi88 » Nov 1st, '09, 13:10

hectic3 wrote:Just watching it on Keyhole TV. It dropped quite a few times and I think I missed some key stuff. Otherwise it was pretty interesting....

same here. it freezed a lot of times, i've a few of it open at the same just in case 1 freezes i move on to the next.

bad quality of audio as well, very noisy. but glad i could catch it LIVE for the 1st time.

hectic3

Post by hectic3 » Nov 1st, '09, 13:16

levi88 wrote:same here. it freezed a lot of times, i've a few of it open at the same just in case 1 freezes i move on to the next.

bad quality of audio as well, very noisy. but glad i could catch it LIVE for the 1st time.
Ah, I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who had issues this week. The previous week was not too bad, even with 700 plus people watching it. The server is clearly overloaded but we can't really complain. Have to thank the Ministry of Internal Affairs for it.

I'll be travelling to Japan in a few weeks and I hope i can watch a few episodes of it live! :D

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Nov 1st, '09, 13:23

My streaming wasn't good and audio was quite muffled so couldn't catch the dialogue clearly.

Much of Ep4 takes place in Yoshiwara after Sakamoto brings Jin there because he wants him to meet Nokaze (who looks like Miki).
Jin is shocked when he sees Nokaze. I think her first reaction when seeing him is a similar gesture that Miki did in an earlier episode too. He starts stammering and I think he enquires about her family and in response she walks out on them.

As they are about to leave the place, they learn that the owner is sick and Jin diagnoses the illness which no doctor has been able to identify so far. There are protests from a lady (not sure what her relationship is with the owner) and a man, but Nokaze steps in and asks Jin to cure him when she hears from Sakamoto that Jin is an accomplished doctor. During the surgery, Nokaze relates her background to Sakamoto and how she regards the owner as her father because he has been very kind to her.

Saki gets jealous when she learns from her older brother that Jin had gone to Yoshiwara and she sees Jin's photo with Miki while packing his medical tools to send to him through Kyotaro.

Anyway, the surgery goes well and when Jin returns home and takes a look at the photo of himself and Miki he sees that it is different. They are no longer in a hospital setting and she looks healthy and happy.

Later, Jin returns to Yoshiwara to check on the owner's recovery and Saki follows along. Jin cannot understand why she is behaving coolly. Saki perks up when she learns that Jin had not indulged in any entertainment during his last visit to the pleasure quarters but her happiness dies down when Nokaze appears before them and asks Jin for help. She recognises Nokaze from the picture.

hectic3

Post by hectic3 » Nov 1st, '09, 13:26

In regards to the lady who protests:
I think she is the wife of the owner or someone pretty high up such as the one who takes care of the workers. Notice how Nokaze addressed her as "mother" when she pleading to let Jin do the operation

levi88

Post by levi88 » Nov 1st, '09, 14:19

my guessing is that, based on tonight's episode, Nokaze is adopted by the ill man. That lady is the ill man's wife, 'cos she addressed him as goshujin.
Last edited by levi88 on Nov 1st, '09, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Nov 1st, '09, 14:30

hectic3 wrote:
such as introducing Nokaze's story, and how the photo completely changed . I wonder what he saw right at the end as well (he said he saw something unbelievable). Can't wait for ep 5 where he makes penicillin, lol
I think she suffers from veneral disease hence her condition. She's Nokaze's senior.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 1st, '09, 19:40

shouldn't the title list of actors be changed to Osawa Takao? Koide Keisuke isn't the main actor.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Nov 2nd, '09, 14:21

seirin wrote:shouldn't the title list of actors be changed to Osawa Takao? Koide Keisuke isn't the main actor.
It should certainly have Nakatani Miki's name tooo!
hectic3 wrote:In regards to the lady who protests:
I think she is the wife of the owner or someone pretty high up such as the one who takes care of the workers. Notice how Nokaze addressed her as "mother" when she pleading to let Jin do the operation
She is more likely the latter. The other person in the room is apparently another doctor who insisted on staying because he wanted to see if Jin could cure the owner.

Endexus

Post by Endexus » Nov 2nd, '09, 16:10

It's really fun hearing ancient japanese too, its really nice somehow. also the way Nokaze talks, thats just new, never heard, at least the ending ''-rinssu" or so..

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 2nd, '09, 16:36

by the way why does Saki addresses herself always in the third person, like saki: saki will save jin-sensei? She does it more often than the other characters. Is it polite talk? Why doesn't she just use boku or atashi?

UedaJiro

Post by UedaJiro » Nov 2nd, '09, 17:21

popoycanton wrote:by the way why does Saki addresses herself always in the third person, like saki: saki will save jin-sensei? She does it more often than the other characters. Is it polite talk? Why doesn't she just use boku or atashi?
That's the Japanese way to say "I".

(I am not a Japanese, but I have watched a lot of dramas, :D)
It is still avoided to use "watashi" or any other pronoun to refer to oneself and I guess it was much more in Edo times.
Using a pronoun to refer to oneself might sound selfish. I would say, Saki is more polite and humble towards Jin for obvious reasons. She admires him.

I did not notice anything unusual about her using her name to address to herself. I would translate "Saki" as "I" or "me" in most cases, but it might take some of the fun out of it.

A modest adult daughter of a samurai saying "boku" is impossible.:goggle:

--

A question to the experts in Japanese history:
Was it possible in the Edo period that a common physician marries a daughter of a samurai? :scratch:

If not, Saki should hope that Sakamoto performs his historic mission which will ultimately lead to a major change in society.
[/spoiler]

shioki

Post by shioki » Nov 3rd, '09, 03:57

I have this feeling that JIN might get summoned to the ooku coz he's such a pro doctor. the ed song by MISIA is very nice. I've been listening to it everyday :D

btw, boku is mainly used by little boys, thats why Saki can never use it. Using watakushi is more proper in ancient times.
about the lady who protest:
the official website calls her 女将. so she's probably both the wife and mistress of the place.

hectic3

Post by hectic3 » Nov 3rd, '09, 04:15

shioki wrote: btw, boku is mainly used by little boys, thats why Saki can never use it. Using watakushi is more proper in ancient times.
[/spoiler]
I would disagree with you there. Boku is the masculine form of I and its still used by adults even today. I certainly heard quite a few people use it whilst I lived in Japan for a couple of years. Watakushi is just the keigo form of I and again it is used in very formal occasions today.

shioki

Post by shioki » Nov 3rd, '09, 05:26

yup...i agree with you, thats why i used 'mainly' I've heard older males and more guyish females using boku in dramas. it must be nice to have lived in japan. my exposure to japanese only comes from drama and my japanese lessons.
With all these talk about 'I', I wonder what kind of 'I' Jin uses...

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 3rd, '09, 07:04

I don't think females can use boku. They would get looked at oddly. Same with ore. Only reason they would is if they were pretending to be a guy.

hectic3

Post by hectic3 » Nov 3rd, '09, 08:26

seirin wrote:I don't think females can use boku. They would get looked at oddly. Same with ore. Only reason they would is if they were pretending to be a guy.
Funny that you said that. I had a tomboyish student (7th grader) who used Ore to address herself all the time. Recently some more females have started using Boku, which probably explains why you see it more often than not in Anime/J Dramas. As for the reason why they do that, I haven't a clue.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 4th, '09, 00:35

I have to say Gonzo (Uchino Masaaki) steals this show from time to time. He has his moments. Brilliant actor.

ep5 looks like they are going to make Penicillin, can't wait.

With all these talk about 'I', I wonder what kind of 'I' Jin uses...
from ep4 when Saki's mom announces that jin has a visitor, he says "watashi ni?"