[Discussion] Tokyo DOGS:Shun Oguri, Mizushima Hiro

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
chisato

Post by chisato » Oct 20th, '09, 19:00

congrats on the good rating for the first episode! I can't wait to watch it tonight, been waiting for such a long time ever since the drama cast has been announced. 8)

Salz

Post by Salz » Oct 21st, '09, 05:48

this drama is really good and Shun acting is just great as well as Hiro and their chemistry as partner is really hilarious and awesome<33
im so happy for the rating and hopefully they will continue to be that high and at least above 15%..
im enjoying this drama a lot and laughing so much even without sub lol xD

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Oct 21st, '09, 18:20

I'm a fan, but I wonder why Shun Oguri still does these sort of shows. He's already made a name for himself. How come he still does these crappy dramas.

That Hiro dude. Summarize his acting as: Squinting a bit, looking left to right, and looking constipated. Bulging eyes & again looking constipated. All the time, every time. You know its true,

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Oct 24th, '09, 11:15

I'm disappointed :(

I was so pumped up for this drama but the first episode let me down. I can't believe that it's a getsu9 drama. The production was bad, the script was bad, the acting was average, it's trying too hard to be funny that even when it's really funny, I can't laugh anymore.

The only good thing here was Oguri Shun. He's really nice to look at in this drama and his acting in the drama is the only reason why I'll give the 2nd episode a chance.

Such a letdown.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 24th, '09, 11:44

I have to say that it was kind of disappointing for me too. maybe i was to hype over it and expected so much of it. it is not a bad drama and i thought it was good enough.
shun was just perfect in his role as usual. as for Hiro, i have to admit that i did not like his character much. acting silly and not believeable charcater in some scenes.
i thought that it might have worked out better if they had role reversal. shun is good in any role and he had no problem portraying hiro's role which i think it needs more expereinece as it has more depth.
hiro is much better when his charcater is rich/cool. well, this is my own opinion anyway. i just thought that they could do better in eachother's charcaters. :P

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Oct 24th, '09, 11:58

nnnc wrote:I'm disappointed :(

I was so pumped up for this drama but the first episode let me down. I can't believe that it's a getsu9 drama. The production was bad, the script was bad, the acting was average, it's trying too hard to be funny that even when it's really funny, I can't laugh anymore.

The only good thing here was Oguri Shun. He's really nice to look at in this drama and his acting in the drama is the only reason why I'll give the 2nd episode a chance.

Such a letdown.
I totally agree!
The parts that are supposed to be funny weren't even funny. It's almost offensive.
Except for Shun, who really DOES act, the rest of the cast looks so wrong.
Although I like Yoshitaka's acting, her drunk voice is quite annoying.
And Hiro... I feel sorry for him, but I guess even Narimiya Hiroki, who was also in ep 01, would be a better choice. At least, he's better than him in comedies. Hiro is handsome, but beauty can't suppress such a bad acting.

Ep 01 was so bad it didn't even make me want to watch ep 02. That's a shame. :-(

Alpedra

Post by Alpedra » Oct 24th, '09, 14:18

I had high expectations for this drama... but the first episoded was really bad. Terrible pace... boring story... cliched characters.. pretty disappointing so far. Let´s see if it gets better on the next 1 or 2 episodes, otherwise I´ll give up on it..

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Oct 24th, '09, 17:35

didn't watch the 1st episode yet, but reading your comments guys make me wanna postpone it more and more :scratchchin:
I wonder where did all of that enthusiasm go :unsure:

lo-chan

Post by lo-chan » Oct 24th, '09, 18:06

I wouldn't say that I was disappointed, but it wasn't really what I had expected. I like hiro normally but I think his role is just badly written - I would have preferred it if he was more bad ass, less comic relief. An ex gang member with more of an attitude would have made it more interesting. Comedy is always good but in this drama I think it would have been better if the supportive actors took care of that.

As for Shun, I thought he was awesome! I already feel like I know what his character is about, and some of his facial expressions were just to die for. And he's really hot right now. He needs to work on his english though, but it was better than in sukiyaki western dango...
Definitely watching episode 2
hope there'll be softsubs for that one too :)

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Oct 24th, '09, 19:56

I wonder why they always make Hiro a cop with such personality.. when I heard his character used to be a delinquent, I imagined him differently, not another comic role... well, the 1st episode didn't impress me. I do like the OP sequence, the musics, the plot is a bit déjà vu though
My first thought is that Yuki is Jinno's daughter. Maybe it's the twist in the end.

Endexus

Post by Endexus » Oct 24th, '09, 20:25

^yeah, that's a good guess, she might just be his son.

@Hiro, yeah I thought were talking about a martial arts hot headed deliquent, then why the hell everytime he gets 'mad' he backs down and stuff? yeah the role isnt written really good, i don't like hiro being a comical police like in mr brain, sucks.

Natsu-pi

Post by Natsu-pi » Oct 24th, '09, 20:31

Just watched ep 1 and I am loving it! Can't wait till ep 2, I actually don't really like detective drama's but damn Shun and Hiro really pulled this drama off!
YAY! for the ratings ^^
Too bad alot of people didn't like it though..

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Oct 25th, '09, 02:42

I just watched ep1. It really didn't seem as bad as what people say about it. It wasn't great either. The characters in the drama were kinda lame. Shun and Nari's characters were the best from the first ep IMO. The mom was irritating, but then moms are like that especially if they haven't seen you for a long time. Hiro and Ryo's character lacks much to be desired. They don't seem to take their job seriously enough. However I can see Shun's character out of line in Japan. From what I gather watching Japanese detective dramas. They don't like police using guns. eg) joshi deka. I'm surprised they don't reprimand him for shooting off his gun so often.

As for hiro acting the delinquent. He's doing just that. He's character is such a delinquent, I don't know how he survives being a police officer. He's better off writing parking tickets.
I will watch to the end so I can see Shun arrest the yakuza to catch his dad's murderer.

delaciel

Post by delaciel » Oct 25th, '09, 03:33

Hmmmn, I don't know why some people say that they're disappointed with this drama :scratch:
For me, I like the first episode :wub: I have no objection/complain whatsoever about the character, the plot nor the set... everything is good. I like Shun as Sou.... I like Takakura-Maruo relations.... The 'mother's call' moment is kind of silly but cute... I guess all I want to say that I enjoy the first episode so much... :D And I'm looking forward for the next episode~~~~

And well, for Hiro, I already guess/expect that his character will turn out to be more comedic and lack of 'bad ass' attitude LOL... BUt, Shun's facial expression is enough for me to love this first episode~~~

noobee

Post by noobee » Oct 25th, '09, 04:45

cool!

Zeineb

Post by Zeineb » Oct 25th, '09, 19:03

*edit*
Last edited by Zeineb on May 27th, '10, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Oct 25th, '09, 19:40

seirin wrote:I just watched ep1. It really didn't seem as bad as what people say about it. It wasn't great either. The characters in the drama were kinda lame. Shun and Nari's characters were the best from the first ep IMO. The mom was irritating, but then moms are like that especially if they haven't seen you for a long time. Hiro and Ryo's character lacks much to be desired. They don't seem to take their job seriously enough. However I can see Shun's character out of line in Japan. From what I gather watching Japanese detective dramas. They don't like police using guns. eg) joshi deka. I'm surprised they don't reprimand him for shooting off his gun so often.

As for hiro acting the delinquent. He's doing just that. He's character is such a delinquent, I don't know how he survives being a police officer. He's better off writing parking tickets.
Not only in Japan, but the rest of the world. The scene where Shun was outside, in front of the bad guys' house and pops two or three rounds through the door w/o warning. That's just so wrong in so many levels. He could have been shooting a housewife for all he knew. Even John McClane (die hard reference) knew not to shoot w/o prior knowledge of a situation or threat. Who the crap writes these stuff.

Well anyway, thats just all fair game in the world of tokyo dogs.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 26th, '09, 01:34

Zeineb wrote:The first episode was so cool ! ! ! :w00t:

The big bad point: Mizushima Hiro. Usually, he has no acting skill. But here, he's trying to do the natural unlucky funny boy, which makes him looking reeeally weird. He tries too hard, and he's not funny! :glare:

Shun stole the show, he's so funny, and mysterious at the same time. Not a good combo with Hiro though. I wish Hiro could disappear in the next episodes :lol

It's a good drama from now on, hope it won't disappoint ^___^
as a jdrama fan i have to say he is not really that bad in acting. he was really good in Room of King and Mei-chan. there are far more worst actors than him that rely on their good looks with no acting skill. let's just not mention names. :P

i think his charcater failure also has to do with how it is written for him. i saw him in Drop the movie and again he had this delinquent character and he was very good in it. with non of his recent silliness in Tokyo DOGS.

to be a fromer gang/delinquent and now a cop is a great character to have. because he can have the best of both. actually it can be much more entertaining than just being a cop/detective (even a very cool/good one) but here where acting expereinece comes handy. not to mention a good writing skill. that's why i thought shun could do a better job as marou in here.

as for shun, what can i say. he is just perfect in everything he does. i am so in love with his character in here. he can do no wrong.
saying this, there is still some scenes that made think they are trying very hard to add some comedy element to this drama. not sure if it works here or not. but in some scenes i thought they don't really match with characters. like
when sou and marou were arguing in that house when one suspect already just escaped. you don't expect sou with all his expereince to stand there arguing about sushi/sashim/fish/bread when he knows he has to run after that suspect. it is in marou's character to do this but not in sou's.
or sou trying to buy suit from that shop.
maybe they are adding these comic bits to lighten up his character but not sure if this is the way. his character is cool enough. they don't need to make him having a sense of humour too. you got two people with two extremes working together.
i was really happy to see Nari in this ep. it was so fun to see him again with shun as i remembered their great days together in Gokusen and Stand Up. but
what i really hoped was to see nari's character not to get killed off from ep1 and that he would have regular appearance through out this drama. it would have been much more fun. it has been long time since i have seen him in anything (well, saw him in Drop the movie :P ). and he has matured.
second viewing of this drama(this time with sub) made me like it much more. i never thought of stop watching it it the first place as i like these kind of dramas. looking forward for the next ep for sure.

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Oct 26th, '09, 02:07

Was quite disappointed with this. However, Shun was great and his comic timing was perfect. Also that other young cop guy (what's his name?). As for the other leading actor... I love Hiro but his acting here was just dreadful. I think he'll do fine with better direction since he exaggerates too much with this kind of suppose-to-be-funny character.
He was sooo good as Nanba senpai and Kabuto though..

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Oct 26th, '09, 05:49

yea I would love to see Nari in the next few episodes too. But I think maybe his role was meant to be a cameo only and we're lucky we even got to see Nari in it.

As for the food and suit silliness. I'm not sure what the writer was trying to do with that.

Well, here's hoping Hiro's character grows and gains depth. Maybe Shun's character will influence him to do his job more responsibly and seriously. However I hope Shun's character doesn't loosen up O_o I'd hate if he gained half of Hiro's character persona.
They showed Shun's bad attempt at joking when he said the police stake out was being staked. And everyone gave him a blank look. Some might have thought it's a lame attempt at a joke? But I thought for someone serious his joke is pretty funny. Ryo's gf is a stalker.

chisato

Post by chisato » Oct 26th, '09, 18:18

seirin wrote:Well, here's hoping Hiro's character grows and gains depth. Maybe Shun's character will influence him to do his job more responsibly and seriously. However I hope Shun's character doesn't loosen up O_o I'd hate if he gained half of Hiro's character persona.
[/spoiler]
haha I would die if shun's character eventually gain half of hiro's character....hehe one silly hiro is enough in this drama. :P

Melissa100

Post by Melissa100 » Oct 26th, '09, 18:24

Wow, that was bad. I think they should've either gone completely goofy or completely serious. Trying to do both in the same show just didn't work for me. And what's with all the shooting. Do the writers really think American cops normally behave that way? Mostly I'm disappointed because I like Hiro and thought this was going to be much better.

One thing I did like was Hiro's character's poor English. It was funny considering how perfect Hiro's English really is. I also liked when he took the ping pong paddle away from the girl. That was funny. Other than that, the show wasn't really watchable.

outcast_within

Post by outcast_within » Oct 27th, '09, 00:29

I saw worse than this.
Boss for example.
And i think the 2nd lead is way less annoying here than he was in Brain.
Shun's haircut makes him look like a total different person than he was in binbo danshi. Heh so strange.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Oct 27th, '09, 04:11

popoycanton wrote:
seirin wrote:I just watched ep1. It really didn't seem as bad as what people say about it. It wasn't great either. The characters in the drama were kinda lame. Shun and Nari's characters were the best from the first ep IMO. The mom was irritating, but then moms are like that especially if they haven't seen you for a long time. Hiro and Ryo's character lacks much to be desired. They don't seem to take their job seriously enough. However I can see Shun's character out of line in Japan. From what I gather watching Japanese detective dramas. They don't like police using guns. eg) joshi deka. I'm surprised they don't reprimand him for shooting off his gun so often.

Not only in Japan, but the rest of the world. The scene where Shun was outside, in front of the bad guys' house and pops two or three rounds through the door w/o warning. That's just so wrong in so many levels. He could have been shooting a housewife for all he knew. Even John McClane (die hard reference) knew not to shoot w/o prior knowledge of a situation or threat. Who the crap writes these stuff.

Well anyway, thats just all fair game in the world of tokyo dogs.
Well regarding shooting the door down. Actually I've seen many cop shows both American and HK dramas/movies shot down doors. But I don't recall seeing cops shoot down the doors in Jdramas.
What was uncalled for was shooting the bad guy in the leg again when he was already down, just so he could lure the other guy down from upstairs. And generally, the guy upstairs would have escaped the place through the window. He wouldn't stay around.
What is violent which is uncommon and controversial is 24 hours. At least they haven't gone that extreme in Tokyo Dogs. Okay, maybe Jack Bauer would have done what Takakura So did when he shot the bad guy (helpless on the floor) to lure the other guy down.

I kind of wonder if they're trying to attempt a Lethal Weapon style? If they are, they're failing. The jokes are corny, they're not funny. Japanese have an odd sense of humour?

cj_0908

Post by cj_0908 » Oct 27th, '09, 04:50

chisato wrote:
seirin wrote:Well, here's hoping Hiro's character grows and gains depth. Maybe Shun's character will influence him to do his job more responsibly and seriously. However I hope Shun's character doesn't loosen up O_o I'd hate if he gained half of Hiro's character persona.
[/spoiler]
haha I would die if shun's character eventually gain half of hiro's character....hehe one silly hiro is enough in this drama. :P
If Shun's character does get a bit of Hiro's character Shun's character would still be great bcz Shun can pull off anything! :P
and it would probably put Hiro's character to shame...
Ahhhhh..... Shun :wub:

Aya~chan

Post by Aya~chan » Oct 27th, '09, 16:00

I was so disappointed by this dorama//// I mean..I expected smth serious and dramatic with good acting and good characters and what ive got? No scenario, bad looking Hiro with bad role , not very good looking Shun(<3) with terrible role and a sweet girl, who has nothing to do with the story;//. And the balance between comedy and drama was..I really wanted to say "This dorama is so cool~", but even Shun cant make me say it, cause its a failure.

And why the hell they've tried to make Oguri a clown ? He's a good actor, bur he's not a monkey. He might be the bad, the good, the smiley, the bitchy but not this annoying type of guy ;[...Bla~h!!!

Deleted User 160504

Post by Deleted User 160504 » Oct 27th, '09, 17:00

seirin wrote:
Well regarding shooting the door down. Actually I've seen many cop shows both American and HK dramas/movies shot down doors. But I don't recall seeing cops shoot down the doors in Jdramas.
Well, I guess that's because Takakura Sou grew up in Japan and was originally an elite from NYPD?
seirin wrote:
What was uncalled for was shooting the bad guy in the leg again when he was already down, just so he could lure the other guy down from upstairs. And generally, the guy upstairs would have escaped the place through the window. He wouldn't stay around.
What is violent which is uncommon and controversial is 24 hours. At least they haven't gone that extreme in Tokyo Dogs. Okay, maybe Jack Bauer would have done what Takakura So did when he shot the bad guy (helpless on the floor) to lure the other guy down.

I kind of wonder if they're trying to attempt a Lethal Weapon style? If they are, they're failing. The jokes are corny, they're not funny. Japanese have an odd sense of humour?
Please re-watch that scene and look carefully where Takakura Sou was shooting. He was not shooting the poor tied-up fella.

I'm not saying that this is a fantastic drama. It has been a long time since any drama has been fantastic to me. But hey, this drama wasn't meant to be serious in any way.

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Oct 27th, '09, 17:21

I watched episode 1 twice, once without subs, and once with subs. I actually quite like it!

First time watching, I was really annoyed by Mizushima Hiro's character, who seemed really unprofessional and hopeless at being a cop. Even the fight scenes were laughingly bad. However, I was surprisingly impressed by Oguri Shun. His acting is pretty good and its funny how he can be so deadpan and straight-faced while in such silly situations..

Second time watching, I liked the story better cos I could understand more of the background and the jokes. But I still dislike Hiro's character and think he's quite a bad actor.

Oh, and whenever Shun's mum calls him, she sounds just like Makoto's mum from IWGP. I was almost expecting to see the same actress appearing!

wolfsbane_desu

Post by wolfsbane_desu » Oct 27th, '09, 20:32

I wasn't expecting much from the drama because i usually don't like cops series, and as i expected i didn't like it.

Oguri Shun is still a fantastic actor in whatever role he takes.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Oct 27th, '09, 23:43

Aya~chan wrote:I was so disappointed by this dorama//// I mean..I expected smth serious and dramatic with good acting and good characters and what ive got? No scenario, bad looking Hiro with bad role , not very good looking Shun(<3) with terrible role and a sweet girl, who has nothing to do with the story;//. And the balance between comedy and drama was..I really wanted to say "This dorama is so cool~", but even Shun cant make me say it, cause its a failure.

And why the hell they've tried to make Oguri a clown ? He's a good actor, bur he's not a monkey. He might be the bad, the good, the smiley, the bitchy but not this annoying type of guy ;[...Bla~h!!!
I don't find Shun's role that bad.
Shun is out to avenge his father who was shot to death when he was a kid. He's been chasing his dad's murderer for a long time, but never manages to catch him. The only thing he remembers is the scar. No one seems to know his identity, so he must be a really big hancho yakuza who doesn't show his face much. Also, how is Shun made to be a clown? His role seems like a very serious character. He hardly smiled. He tried to crack a joke, which I thought was amusing cuz he's so right. But the others seem to think it was lame. (I thought the other characters were lame IMO)

As for the girl. She's not just a sweet girl who has nothing to do with the story. I suspect she's probably the girlfriend or daughter of the head of Yakuza. Not sure how old the guy is. At first glance after Nari killed himself, the guy seems to look like tamayama tetsuji.
Please re-watch that scene and look carefully where Takakura Sou was shooting. He was not shooting the poor tied-up fella.
Regarding the Takakura Sou shooting the guy down on the ground, I'll take another look. I thought he shot him a few times cuz the guy was screaming. I guess it could be he was shooting near the guy and he was freaking out.
Well, I guess that's because Takakura Sou grew up in Japan and was originally an elite from NYPD?
Yea, he worked in NY so I could believe he would shoot down the door. However I'm surprised the Japanese police didn't reprimand him for his actions.

shioki

Post by shioki » Oct 28th, '09, 05:31

just finished ep 1 &2
abt ep1
Overall, the ep was good. but the fight over food between shun and hiro's char in the middle of a shootout was totally unnecessary, and quite stupid too.
About the mysterious guy who walked away after nari's char died. He really reminds me of takayama tetsuji with that hair and moustache. But i think he's this guy
ep2
Another ep with more shooting and bicker over food. The scene btw shun and the lil boy, esp his fight with the potted plant was pretty funny :D Oh...and yuki finally gets to work. I can predict that Mr mysterious will appear more in the future eps.

cj_0908

Post by cj_0908 » Oct 28th, '09, 07:31

OMG ep2
Shun was soooo <3 adorable with the little kid and teaching him how to fight....
I really enjoy tokyo dogs despite the fact that everything seems a bit over the top but hey that's what the majority of J-dramas are like.
But it sort of makes sense for the producers to cast Hiro with Shun. bcz Shun has heaps of acting experience that makes up for the too try hard acting Hiro does. Hiro is sort of a Newbieish actor and a lot of producers would cast experience with inexperience.
i Sort of like Yoshitaka Yuriko, she's cute and can act. (love shuffle anyone?) and she was making googly eyes at shun through out ep2 lol...
The ratings for ep 2 is still around the 18 mark YAYY!!!!!!.

Shun = Love <3

wickedvampiregirl

Post by wickedvampiregirl » Oct 28th, '09, 12:51

It's been a while since I've been on D-Addicts. I blame the lead actors of the drama for dragging me back hahah... Whatever drama they're in, it feels like a drug of some sort. I was really excited when I saw that Shun & Hiro would be working together again after Hana Kimi. I was practically jumping out of myself for weeks, refraining the idea of actually posting here at least until I saw an episode. I did... The first episode was great. It's just that somehow, I kept seeing Nanba & Sano in it. I mean, that ridiculous + serious dynamic between the two. Maybe that's just me really. I'm hoping to see more for episode 2... Well... I can only watch it after I can get a hold of a softsub.. Someone's already subbing for the softsub version, dunno whether she would continue on for the rest of the episodes. I'm kinda hoping she/ would or else I would have to force myself to finally learn Japanese...

Deleted User 160504

Post by Deleted User 160504 » Oct 29th, '09, 08:31

[deleted]
Last edited by Deleted User 160504 on Aug 15th, '20, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Oct 29th, '09, 08:48

kiramethyst wrote:A question to the last 3 posters: Where did you get to watch episode 2? I can't find it anywhere in d-addicts.
it's on streaming sites like veoh.com and dramacrazy.net

After watching episode 2, I think it's hiro's acting that seems to be the problem. If you throw in a young version of takashi sorimachi into that role, he would do a better job I think (GTO). Being a delinquent is one thing, but being lame is another.

shioki

Post by shioki » Oct 29th, '09, 09:31

kiramethyst wrote:A question to the last 3 posters: Where did you get to watch episode 2? I can't find it anywhere in d-addicts.
it's also on chinese websites too. like tudou.com, with chinese subs, so its a bonus if u understand chinese :-)

fleng

Post by fleng » Oct 29th, '09, 13:30

Episode 1 wasnt that bad.. Funny moments.. Two of the DB4 (Doutei Boys 4) fighting.. It could have been better of course. Action scenes were campy. Sometimes I wonder what is going on with the screenwriters of Japanese Doramas. It's either Hit or Miss.

Here's hoping the rest of the episodes gets better.

And to think Hiro have better command of English than Shun lol.

chisato

Post by chisato » Oct 29th, '09, 14:46

cj_0908 wrote:OMG ep2
Shun was soooo <3 adorable with the little kid and teaching him how to fight....
I really enjoy tokyo dogs despite the fact that everything seems a bit over the top but hey that's what the majority of J-dramas are like.
But it sort of makes sense for the producers to cast Hiro with Shun. bcz Shun has heaps of acting experience that makes up for the too try hard acting Hiro does. Hiro is sort of a Newbieish actor and a lot of producers would cast experience with inexperience.
i Sort of like Yoshitaka Yuriko, she's cute and can act. (love shuffle anyone?) and she was making googly eyes at shun through out ep2 lol...
The ratings for ep 2 is still around the 18 mark YAYY!!!!!!.

Shun = Love <3
I couldn't agree with you more! ep 2 was another great episode, honestly, I love the interaction between shun and hiro. of course, we cannot compare the acting skills between shun and hiro, but I have to say I really like watching them together. hiro is a bit over the majority of the time, but despite his character is someone like that, I think I can accept it at this point. there has to be a big difference between shun and hiro's role, one calm and cool and one is crazy, hehe.

yes, I like yuriko too and I noticed her already when watching love shuffle. and she was very cute in ep2, I do have some expectation from her because I think she can really act.

its great that the ratings are pretty steady for he first two episodes, can't wait for ep3!!!

Romance

Post by Romance » Oct 29th, '09, 18:35

Horrible drama, you guys who like this must have low standards... :roll Also i Cant take the Hiro guy's overacting, facepalmed throughout the whole episode :cry:

chisato

Post by chisato » Oct 29th, '09, 19:47

well, we all have different standards, I wouldn't call people liking this drama having "low" standards. we just have different tastes, thats all.

Mai-Soon

Post by Mai-Soon » Oct 29th, '09, 20:36

Romance wrote:Horrible drama, you guys who like this must have low standards... :roll Also i Cant take the Hiro guy's overacting, facepalmed throughout the whole episode :cry:
Judging a drama form 1 or 2 episodes is merely not fair !

and as chisato pointed up there...we just have different tastes

and i really find that this drama is worth to watch... :thumleft:
i really like the pairing of Oguri/Hiro...they are the only successful -non-Johnny's- actors i've ever known :cheers:

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 29th, '09, 22:21

Romance wrote:Horrible drama, you guys who like this must have low standards... :roll Also i Cant take the Hiro guy's overacting, facepalmed throughout the whole episode :cry:
I think it is very rude of you to say that people who love/watch this drama (or any other drama that you don't like) have low standards. as said before, everyone has different taste and likes and dislikes (and thank god for that :cheers: ). i am sure there are plenty of people that might not like your choice of dramas. so before being labled by "having low standars" by them, learn how to respect other's opinions. after all, nobody is perfect.

Rook

Post by Rook » Oct 30th, '09, 11:53

It should be on d-addicts soon. I have the 704 and the 1280 version that will be uploaded here. I'm waiting on moodilic to throw up the torrents and all that and then I'll be seeding. Hold out a bit longer :-)

I'm a bit of a quality freak so there's no way I would be able to watch it on a streaming site.

MartinLi

Post by MartinLi » Oct 30th, '09, 14:11

can somebody help me out? theres something i dont understand in episode 1.
I would like to know what the girl was writing on the papers that oguri found on top of her desk, i understood that the girl was lonely and bored, but what was the papers with all the writing about?
thanks >=)

gauri92

Post by gauri92 » Oct 30th, '09, 18:27

well....i was actually a lil bit disppointed...i was expecting the theme and execution to be a little darker and grittier...and hiro's character as a former delinquent....he should be a lot more intense, being comical is fine, but not all the time.....
well..shun is great as usual...

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Oct 31st, '09, 07:57

+1

caramelchampagne

to MisS Lonliah can i ask ya something

Post by caramelchampagne » Nov 3rd, '09, 17:18

to MisS Lonliah

hi plz can i ask ya something who is the actor that u put him in ur signature and this scene from which drama
Last edited by caramelchampagne on Nov 3rd, '09, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

Issy

Re: hi plz can i ask ya something

Post by Issy » Nov 3rd, '09, 18:04

caramelchampagne wrote:hi plz can i ask ya something who is the actor that u put him in ur signature and this scene from which drama
you forgot to write who you're asking this question from? :P

caramelchampagne

Post by caramelchampagne » Nov 3rd, '09, 21:30

to MisS Lonliah

hi plz can i ask ya something who is the actor that u put him in ur signature and this scene from which drama

caramelchampagne

Post by caramelchampagne » Nov 3rd, '09, 21:40

till now still waiting to see if i'm gonna continue to watch this drama or not this is ma 3rd drama i watch for hiro mizushima after mr brain and absolute boy friend so i'm waiting to see if it's gonna worth to watch or not i like police drama ma heart become so weak from sad dramas need lil change

and i agree with ya guys hiro need to fix his eyebrows and his hair style for being really hotblood fighter any way wish it will be great drama

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 3rd, '09, 22:18

caramelchampagne wrote:to MisS Lonliah

so my guess was right. i thought you were referring to Mis S Lonilah's sigi because it also cought my eyes sometimes ago when i was watching Orthros no Inu.
with permission to my friend Mis S Lonilah, i can tell you that the actor is called Hideaki Takizawa and that scene is from his latest drama Orthros no Inu which i am watching again at the moment.
so sorry to butt in but i thought i give you a fast reply and won't keep you in agony. :P

@Mis S Lonilah, so sorry to interefere dear. :P

mikkichan

Post by mikkichan » Nov 3rd, '09, 23:10

I still don't get why people hate Hiro's hair and eyebrow so much. Maybe they got used to his prince charming image from his previous drama so that's why. I wasn't that big of a fan of Hiro so I didn't watch much of his old work, maybe that's why his hair and eyebrow in Tokyo Dogs do not bother me so much. As a matter of fact I think he still look rather attractive in this style especially during the ending credit, which is beautifully done by the way.

I think those who are disappointed in this drama was expecting a more serious, dark theme police drama but TD turn out much lighter and even down right comical. As for me I was sick of watching dark, heavy or romance drama so I was kind of relieve that TD have its comedic side as well. And having Shun, Hiro and Yuriko on screen are like candy for my eyes LOL

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 3rd, '09, 23:25

Issy wrote:
caramelchampagne wrote:
so my guess was right. i thought you were referring to Mis S Lonilah's sigi because it also cought my eyes sometimes ago
+1 I keep staring at it every time she posts.

I don't think it's hiro's hair or eyebrows. It's his constant eye bulge and over exaggeration? I think if Toma did the role, the character might have been portrayed differently and better?

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 4th, '09, 00:14

I think people don't like Hiro's eyebrows because it is way too thin for a man and specially for a cop (and the previously delinquent gang guy, is a sin to be seen with such eyebrows :P ). and is not that he did them this thin specially for the sake of TD (i think it's something to do with his character in Beck the movie)

i just don't get what is japanese young actors facination to have thin/womanly eyebrows? they sure looked better before everytime they done them. matsujun is another similar case.

hate to admit but i too starting to think that maybe somebady else could do a better job than hiro. even if the character still have do bulging eyes and exaggeration, at the moment is not working too well with hiro, maybe Toma could do the same expressions that is much less annoying. when he is acting normal and without above expressions, his character is not that bad at all.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 4th, '09, 00:46

Issy wrote:I think people don't like Hiro's eyebrows because it is way too thin for a man and specially for a cop (and the previously delinquent gang guy, is a sin to be seen with such eyebrows :P ). and is not that he did them this thin specially for the sake of TD (i think it's something to do with his character in Beck the movie)

i just don't get what is japanese young actors facination to have thin/womanly eyebrows? they sure looked better before everytime they done them. matsujun is another similar case.

hate to admit but i too starting to think that maybe somebady else could do a better job than hiro. even if the character still have do bulging eyes and exaggeration, at the moment is not working too well with hiro, maybe Toma could do the same expressions that is much less annoying. when he is acting normal and without above expressions, his character is not that bad at all.
Actually when Toma does the eye bulging expression, he's actually pretty cute and funny. Like in HanaKimi, he practically stole the show even from Shun.

ooyoo

Post by ooyoo » Nov 4th, '09, 01:35

@caramelchampagne: Miss Lonilah's sigi is TAKIZAWA HIDEAKI in "Orthros no Inu." He's dreamy :wub:

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Nov 4th, '09, 01:44

The rating for the 3rd episode was 14.4

I guess people are now starting to drop this drama. I will give it another episode before I make that decision :(

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Nov 4th, '09, 03:21

Issy wrote:I think people don't like Hiro's eyebrows because it is way too thin for a man and specially for a cop (and the previously delinquent gang guy, is a sin to be seen with such eyebrows :P )
Lol! :rofl: Yeah, male Idols with overly plucked, pencil-thin brows look so unnatural. :crazy: They could learn a few things from your Tomo-baby on how to do 'em right, eh, Issy? :D

After having recently seen Mr. Brain and Hana Kimi in rapid succession, I'm putting Tokyo Dogs on hold until I've gotten past my Hiro hangover (and it's not the good kind of hangover, lol). :whistling: Peace to all the Hiro fans. I'm watching this for Shun, who can shave off his eyebrows for all I care. Facial hair or no facial hair, will :wub: him just the same.

Deleted User 206561

Post by Deleted User 206561 » Nov 4th, '09, 04:06

Last edited by Deleted User 206561 on Sep 29th, '23, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

tunix_2008

Post by tunix_2008 » Nov 4th, '09, 11:32

I don't really notice Hiro's eyebrows so I guess for me there isn't anything wrong with them. I mean eyebrows are very noticeable if they're done wrong since I don't notice it then maybe it's okay for me.

Hiro's hair however is another matter. IMO, he only ever had decent hair in Kamen Rider. It seems to me that a comb or brush should chase after him :lol:

As to Toma probably doing a better job ... I can see that happening although he looks too young and too cute to be an ex-deliquent hot-headed cop especially against all-serious Shun. In Hana Kimi, their age difference is quite apparent. But good acting will always come out so maybe Toma could've done a better job in this role.

caramelchampagne

thanx to ya

Post by caramelchampagne » Nov 4th, '09, 16:22

thanx to ya issy for telling me who is the actor actually i was going to ask ya if Orthros no Inu worth to watch or not

and about japanese actors eye brows i will add another name to the list k :lol aminashi kazuya lol he really trim his eye brows like a girl i found him the most girlish actor i watch drama for till now

:argue: i remember one day i tryied to make ma cousin watch japanese drama and she lol and say most of them look like a girls
ps: she was right by the way

well i can say i'm kind of new fan of japanese drama the first ever jp drama i watched was gift by kimura takoya and i became crazy fan for him so i will apprciate some help if any one can recommend me great hits of jp drama i'm expert in korean one i'm watching iris now and it's alot better than tokyo dogs like another friend here say that she will give it another epi b4 drop it out i will do the same if it didn't get better

my mail is cokychampain@hotmail.com so if u wanna be friend of me recommending some dramas u also can find me on facebook
i will be happy to have new friends who they like asian drams
forgive me i type long message

[quote="Issy

hate to admit but i too starting to think that maybe somebady else could do a better job than hiro. .[/quote]

lunas

Post by lunas » Nov 4th, '09, 23:27

Totally agree with everyone about Hiro, I do not like one bit on how he kept on bulging his eyes and the over the top reaction. It look like they couldn't decide to be a funny series or a serious series and mix the 2 together but very badly done.

caramelchampagne

Post by caramelchampagne » Nov 4th, '09, 23:33

yup lunas you are right also about his hair style i think his wife Ayaka Iida should pay more attention to her husband hair style coz in this series and the series of MR BRAIN he didn't change his hair cut

and ya he is over reacting to be funny it doesn't suit a policeman to me naive i can say taht much naive and not smart or even strong

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 5th, '09, 09:45

I kept thinking, if that was Toma in the drama instead, they could spin it off as HK LOL haha At the last episode, Nakatsu wakes up with Sano calling him "anata baka?" :P

caramelchampagne, you should check out Orthros if you like super power type shows. It's an interesting concept about human kind. The ending wasn't so satisfying though but you walk off with some food for thought.

tunix_2008

Post by tunix_2008 » Nov 5th, '09, 13:40

seirin wrote:I kept thinking, if that was Toma in the drama instead, they could spin it off as HK LOL haha At the last episode, Nakatsu wakes up with Sano calling him "anata baka?" :P
I can totally see that happening. It's like they grew up to become cops :lol Hiro should just stick to "growing up" to become a bakery owner. :D

BTW someone ought to rename this thread to [Discussion] Tokyo Dogs since it's no longer [Upcoming]. :P

caramelchampagne

Post by caramelchampagne » Nov 5th, '09, 15:24

well from all our replies here i can see we all agreed on 1 thing that hiro need to change his hair cut

and tokyo dogs is diappointing drama i recommend if u like really police or thrilling drama ma most 2 fav korean ones time between dog and wolf by lee jun ki and the devil by joo ji hoon the last one i just finished watching it yeaterday and realllllllllllly realllly amazing and worth to spend time watching it

as for tokyo dogs i wil load epi 3 and see if i will continue watching it or not

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 5th, '09, 17:15

well, there are good Japanese police stories. This one just isn't it. I like watching the Negotiator series. The one with Oda Yuji.

outcast_within

Post by outcast_within » Nov 7th, '09, 14:08

well i watched episode 2. But nearing the finale i couldn't stand it anymore.
Though i kinda like the main character. I don't like how many mistakes the others make.
This isn't a standard silly cop, serious cop. It's a foolish cop who endangers lives and a serious cop. And to top that off we also have a foolish girl who keeps endangering everyone and everything.
Than you have the co-workers, the woman who keeps agreeing with her boss always kills the mood for me as well.
Too many plotholes, for a show that is trying to be semi serious.

poonk
United States of America

Post by poonk » Nov 13th, '09, 02:26

It's interesting to pop in here and see quite a few others with similar complaints. Now, let me preface this by saying I've only watched ep01 so far and still plan to watch a few more. However, while I have no problem with Hiro's appearance (actually I think he still looks pretty good playing "scruffy") it's his over-the-top comical reactions-- yes, the "eye-bulging"-- that gets to me. It's not that I necessarily expected a uber-serious, dark, gritty detective drama but his reactions seems just too exaggerated compared to the tone of the surrounding show. I don't remember him acting like that in Hana-Kimi, and that show was intended to be over-the-top. In short, I can't believe I'm actually preferring Oguri Shun's uptight, quietly humorous character to Hiro's loud, super-expressive character. Exactly the opposite of what I expected, going into it. Again, this is all based on just one episode so I may be proven wrong in eps to come, but that's my 2 cents at this (very early) time.

Aikawa Ringo

Post by Aikawa Ringo » Nov 14th, '09, 16:23

Remember at episode 3 when they said "We are not the Helper." I laugh alot there :lol

kaiservonjapan

Post by kaiservonjapan » Nov 15th, '09, 21:37

I like the Tokyo Dogs drama actually only because of the girl and Oguri Shun doing a good job in it. I guess Mizushima isn't bad either but i hate his character.

The Drama is just too predictable which makes it boring. and it always makes me angry when i see oguri being treated like somewhat **** by mizushima just because oguri is a real police office doing a great job instead of being a playboy!!

starting the second episodes there weren't any surprises at all . . .

caramelchampagne

Post by caramelchampagne » Nov 15th, '09, 21:42

for me actually i already gave up on this series

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Nov 17th, '09, 15:04

Just watched episode 5. I don't think this series is all that bad... the story is getting quite interesting esp with yuki's memory slowly coming back. oguri shun's acting is really good in this show and there is starting to be a bit more chemistry btw the main leads.

The bad parts are still bad though... mizushima hiro's acting is still terrible (altho slightly better in ep 5), there are major plot holes, sou and maruo talk way too loudly while on a mission, the rest of the detectives are so blatantly obvious when trying to stake out people.................

But focusing on the good bits and not taking it too seriously, i find it entirely watchable. Love the exile theme song and ending sequence too (which is way nicer than the actual exile pv).

chisato

Post by chisato » Nov 18th, '09, 17:59

emmy21 wrote:Just watched episode 5. I don't think this series is all that bad... the story is getting quite interesting esp with yuki's memory slowly coming back. oguri shun's acting is really good in this show and there is starting to be a bit more chemistry btw the main leads.

The bad parts are still bad though... mizushima hiro's acting is still terrible (altho slightly better in ep 5), there are major plot holes, sou and maruo talk way too loudly while on a mission, the rest of the detectives are so blatantly obvious when trying to stake out people.................

But focusing on the good bits and not taking it too seriously, i find it entirely watchable. Love the exile theme song and ending sequence too (which is way nicer than the actual exile pv).
haha I agree with you, I like the ending when they played the theme song...as a big EXILE fan, their PV for the song was pretty weird. but the song is AWESOME!

haven't watch ep5 yet but will do tonight. not discussing hiro's acting (I think enough is being said here), I do enjoy the drama. I think people are taking the drama too seriously, but as you can tell...when they create hiro's character like this, its definitely not a serious drama anymore. so if you watch it without critizing the logic, its actually a pretty good drama. good acting from shun, funny scenes, yuriko is cute, great theme song...I'm satistifed with the drama.

Toritorisan

Post by Toritorisan » Nov 24th, '09, 10:50

I've been keeping up with this drama and I agree with some of the previous posts that it's somewhat disappointing, especially when it's the drama in Fuji's prime Monday night time slot where some great dramas have been in the past. Also, for some reason the storyline is a bit slow for a police drama and does not have a lot of unique qualities as some as the other dramas this season like Jin, Liar Game 2, and Shokojo Seira.

I think Oguri Shun and Mizushima Hiro are okay (I think their roles should have been reversed though for some reason - doesn't Mizushima speak English fluently?) But I think this drama lacks a strong female lead. Her character comes off as whiny and really doesn't add "suspense" to the story as it should (or at least it hasn't so far...).

But I'll probably stick with it since I've been watching it up to now and hopefully the storyline will start getting better and improve.