[Discussion] JIN (Osawa Takao, Ayase Haruka, Uchino Masaaki)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
hunterkirualeorio

Post by hunterkirualeorio » Nov 13th, '09, 00:17

[quote="popoycanton"]looks like ep6 is gonna be packed.

Anyway who is the guy on the far left, we haven't seen him yet, what role does he play?
Image...

Spoiler
After Jin saves one of his men from a fire incident, he is going to build Jin his very own clinic. :whistling:
Last edited by hunterkirualeorio on Nov 15th, '09, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ginoru

Post by Ginoru » Nov 14th, '09, 04:49

Loving this dorama despite i don't like medicine related dramas :) but i love the depiction of old Edo, the area where he moves would be nowadays Asakusa more or less isn't it?

I gave it a shot and now i am hooked XD Long time it happened to me

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Nov 15th, '09, 08:21

Fujita Makoto is no longer scheduled to appear in JIN. He will be recasted, as Fujita will be taking time off for medical treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Hope everything goes well for him.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20091 ... 0-oric-ent

Nakamura Atsuo will be taking his place.

By the way, didn't somebody say they saw Fujita's character briefly appear in a couple of the earlier episodes? I never recalled seeing him, but I thought that maybe his appearance was so brief that I just missed him. However, the above article says that Fujita was scheduled to appear, and doesn't say that he actually ever appeared yet.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Nov 15th, '09, 11:43

Oh dear, hope his condition improves. He has been sick previously.

I think someone posted previously that his character will appear later in the show when Jin saves one of his men. According to another news article, the character is scheduled to appear in the second half of the drama.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 15th, '09, 11:57

somebody said at the point where Saki pretended to be a midwife, the convoy was actually his. It was probably only apparent to those who read the manga. I guess that was his "appearance."

kaiservonjapan

Post by kaiservonjapan » Nov 15th, '09, 21:34

It's really a pity that Fujita Makoto is no longer to be cast because of an illness. . . . I really liked him in Yakusha Damashi . . .

Acutally the whole cast in JIN is really great, a lot of actors and actresses I like and Hayase is so cute ^^

hunterkirualeorio

Post by hunterkirualeorio » Nov 15th, '09, 21:50

popoycanton wrote:somebody said at the point where Saki pretended to be a midwife, the convoy was actually his. It was probably only apparent to those who read the manga. I guess that was his "appearance."
We didn't even get to see his face in that particular scene.

menaine

Post by menaine » Nov 16th, '09, 17:34

popoycanton wrote:

Looks like Kyotaro is going to have a love interest
i'm curious about this
look like interesting
the girl on one of Yoshiwara bar, is she also appear on the manga?
and what will happen to them (kyutaro and her) any relationship progress?

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » Nov 16th, '09, 18:41

I bet Jin is going to make a pair of glasses for her as she is near-sighted.

Jin should examine Fujita Makoto in real life as well. :D

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 16th, '09, 19:30

Although I have had total inability to reconcile subs with video, I am still watching this drama. I am surprised that no-one mentions that the leading actor in this is OSAWA TAKAO. He is a very well known Japanese actor and incidentally, one of my first favourites in film and drama.

I remember one drama several years ago when he was younger and very magnetic...I think it was called 'EX-LOVER' or something like that. Very dramatic and heavy love scenes. I think I have a video(VCR tape) of that so it probably never went to DVD. would like to see that again so I must do a search. It's somewhere in the cave...

Peggy

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 17th, '09, 02:45

Well, I mentioned Osawa earlier and so did a few posters. I didn't really think much of him since I was mesmerized by Takenouchi in Hoshi no Kinka. But after watching a clip of him doing Phantom stage play, I am very impressed. He's really good at singing opera. And after watching some of his movies, I would say he's a very good actor too. He pretty much disappeared from the small screen for a long time so I guess he's not so popular with d-addicts viewers. I wish they released his Phantom of the Opera DVD.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Nov 17th, '09, 02:55

Yeah, Osawa Takao has been away from renzoku dramas for quite a while (as was Nakatani Miki). The reason I decided to watch this drama was actually because of those two cast members. In all honesty, knowing that the drama was going to take place in the Edo period, though, I actually wasn't expecting much from it.... Haha. But what do you know, it's the best drama of the year... by a mile!

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 17th, '09, 03:55

celticmoon wrote:Yeah, Osawa Takao has been away from renzoku dramas for quite a while (as was Nakatani Miki). The reason I decided to watch this drama was actually because of those two cast members. In all honesty, knowing that the drama was going to take place in the Edo period, though, I actually wasn't expecting much from it.... Haha. But what do you know, it's the best drama of the year... by a mile!
I wasn't going to watch this drama cuz I saw Haruka Ayase and Koide Keisuke as the actors in the drama. I thought they were leads. But after I looked at the photo carefully, they weren't so I gave it a try. I wasn't that impressed with the cyborg movie. I'm glad I watched it. I can't say the same for Fumo Chitai though. I watched it for takenouchi but he only had a minor role there but the story is so slow and so political that I found it dull.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 17th, '09, 04:53

Yes..I am trying to watch Fumo Chitai just for Takeno. so far I have only seen him twice and he is definitely not going to be a leading player. So disappointed. When will he do a romantic type drama again. Oh for another 'WITH LOVE'...Sigh.

Didn't Osawa play the lead in the film 'Love in the Centre of the World' of whatever it was called. I have not watched that yet. I did see the drama but was not impressed with those actors. too young.....
Peg

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 17th, '09, 05:09

Acting was good in the movie "crying out love in the centre of the world". I cried. It was pretty sad. Osawa was good in it as usual. Takenouchi hasn't made many dramas lately that impressed me. Most of his roles were mediocre. I miss his roles in the past when he was becoming famous.

Osawa's phantom clip :wub:

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Nov 17th, '09, 07:19

seirin wrote:I wasn't going to watch this drama cuz I saw Haruka Ayase and Koide Keisuke as the actors in the drama. I thought they were leads. But after I looked at the photo carefully, they weren't so I gave it a try. I wasn't that impressed with the cyborg movie. I'm glad I watched it. I can't say the same for Fumo Chitai though. I watched it for takenouchi but he only had a minor role there but the story is so slow and so political that I found it dull.
So you don't think Ayase and Koide are any good? I think both have actually become pretty good actors within the last year or two. Ayase is doing surprisingly well with her role as Saki in JIN, and Koide gave a very good performance in last year's ROOKIES. I did see the Cyborg movie as well though. It was probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen, so I don't know if that's a good thing to base their credibility on.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 17th, '09, 07:51

Airhead Ayase is just one of her arsenals, not to say 'there's many, but she's alright for her age and intended demographics. Ayase has the charm, you can't deny that. Best actor here IMO is Uchino Masaaki as Sakamoto Ryoma.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 17th, '09, 09:51

celticmoon wrote: So you don't think Ayase and Koide are any good? I think both have actually become pretty good actors within the last year or two. Ayase is doing surprisingly well with her role as Saki in JIN, and Koide gave a very good performance in last year's ROOKIES. I did see the Cyborg movie as well though. It was probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen, so I don't know if that's a good thing to base their credibility on.
Ayase is an alright actress. She doesn't strike me as anything outstanding. She did irritate me in Mr.Brain but that might just be the writer's problem. As for Koide, he irks me a bit. I've seen some projects with him in it and frankly, he kinds turns me off. Like the scene where Jin and Kyotaro first meet. He saves Jin and gets hurt. I didn't notice he was that seriously hurt. His speech was so clear when he was explaining that the incident wasn't Jin's fault. Then suddenly he toppled over. I was thinking eh???? Was he that badly hurt? He didn't sound like it.

As for Uchino Masaaki, he's a good actor as well. I've seen some of his other projects. But I like Osawa's diversity after watching his other works. He can look so evil, he gives me goosebumps. And I was very impressed he can sing Opera. Not many actors can do that I think.

SMAPcracklepop

Post by SMAPcracklepop » Nov 18th, '09, 05:26

Wow! I've been busy, so I just sat down and watched 5 and 6 back to back. It's starting to heat up!
Seems like next episode Ogata-sensei's figured out Jin's secret.
I'm really loving the portrayal of Sakamoto Ryouma. (even more than Jin :shhh:)

rebornsoul

Post by rebornsoul » Nov 18th, '09, 16:09

anyone know whre i can find the ost for jin?

hunterkirualeorio

Post by hunterkirualeorio » Nov 19th, '09, 00:29

SMAPcracklepop wrote:
Seems like next episode Ogata-sensei's figured out Jin's secret.
Caution: Serious Spoiler for next episode!!!
He will also tell Jin he has incurable late stage TB...It will be a sad episode. :-(

hey9

Post by hey9 » Nov 19th, '09, 07:24

seirin wrote:As for Uchino Masaaki, he's a good actor as well. I've seen some of his other projects. But I like Osawa's diversity after watching his other works. He can look so evil, he gives me goosebumps. And I was very impressed he can sing Opera. Not many actors can do that I think.
What show has Osawa played an evil character? I've only seen him play good guys so far, so I would be interested in seeing him on the other side. After seeing Gonzo, I was excited to see Uchino Masaaki again, he kind of reminds me of Toshiro Mifune. After watching so many dramas with effeminate guys, his bold and brash characters are a nice change.

Although I have not been impressed with Ayase (airhead) and Koide (bland) in the past, I am thinking that they just needed a good script like JIN to work with. Of the young actors, I think Kiritani Kenta stands out. He has a face that's made for historical dramas, and he exudes a lot of onscreen presence.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 19th, '09, 07:32

I found it interesting to see Uchino Masaaki playing this role. At the same time I am watching him playing Takuya Kimura's brother eleven years ago in 'LOVE GENERATION'.

He was very good looking then but now he is fascinating to watch. He has grown into the strongest kind of actor who can play any role and make you watch every second when he is in a scene. He is a splendid Sakamoto.

Peggy

saayan

Post by saayan » Nov 19th, '09, 11:41

hey9 wrote:What show has Osawa played an evil character? I've only seen him play good guys so far, so I would be interested in seeing him on the other side.
If I remember correctly, he played Tokiwa Takako's nasty, abusive boyfriend in the late 90's drama, "Utsukushii Hito." He's also kind of a villain in the could-have-been-oh-so-awesome-but-really-wasn't movie, "Goemon." Osawa can play roles from both sides of the spectrum very convincingly!

Honestly, I always thought he had an alien-ish look to him and didn't appreciate him at all during the 90's, but "Jin" has really opened my eyes to Osawa's charm. I'm beginning to become quite the fan and can't wait to see more of his work, both old and new.

I, too, am impressed by Uchino's portrayal of Sakamoto Ryoma. Man, I feel sorry for Fukuyama Masaharu, who will be playing Ryoma in next year's Taiga drama. Uchino's Sakamoto is gonna be a real tough act to follow, that's for sure. NHK is probably kicking itself for not thinking of casting him first instead. XD

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » Nov 19th, '09, 14:09

IMO: Uchino Masaaki outperforms everyone in "Ace wo Nerae" as Coach Munakata Jin.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 19th, '09, 19:52

And...what about Uchino playing the one eyed military strategist in

"Fuurin Kazan." that was a very heavy role to portray for such a long drama. He was amazing I thought.
Yamamoto Kansuke was a very complex man. I thought a bit sad and very lonely in his whole life.

Peggy

shigechan

Post by shigechan » Nov 19th, '09, 22:41

Fuurinkazan is Uchino's masterpiece. It's a must to see.
Attachments
風林火山ポスター1.jpg
風林火山ポスター1.jpg (139.81 KiB) Viewed 5657 times

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 20th, '09, 04:17

hey9 wrote:
seirin wrote:As for Uchino Masaaki, he's a good actor as well. I've seen some of his other projects. But I like Osawa's diversity after watching his other works. He can look so evil, he gives me goosebumps. And I was very impressed he can sing Opera. Not many actors can do that I think.
What show has Osawa played an evil character? I've only seen him play good guys so far, so I would be interested in seeing him on the other side. After seeing Gonzo, I was excited to see Uchino Masaaki again, he kind of reminds me of Toshiro Mifune. After watching so many dramas with effeminate guys, his bold and brash characters are a nice change.
He played evil character in "Sky High" and Aragami. Well, he wasn't evil at first, but near the end he was. He had a really scary look on his face in Aragami.

Regarding Fukuyama Masaharu in a Taiga, I think he will have his own interpretation of it. He seems to have charisma, otherwise he wouldn't be so popular. In the An An polls, he's ranked just under Takuya.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Nov 20th, '09, 15:18

Here's a gag inspiration! Fukuyama Masaharu playing Sakamoto Ryoma w/ the edo clothes and everything, but the twist is he will be acting as he did in Galileo, weirdo scientist, hehe that would be a laugh.

Roshi

Post by Roshi » Nov 20th, '09, 17:08

i want to get movie, how i can?

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 21st, '09, 01:38

Roshi wrote:i want to get movie, how i can?
There's some movies for download here

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Nov 22nd, '09, 00:48

seirin wrote:
Regarding Fukuyama Masaharu in a Taiga, I think he will have his own interpretation of it. He seems to have charisma, otherwise he wouldn't be so popular. In the An An polls, he's ranked just under Takuya.
I somehow still find Sakamoto's character in JIN rather bizarre but nevertheless Uchino's charisma and screen presence is undeniable. Fukuyama, I feel doesn't have that energy and presence to carry it off. I may be wrong, but he's always carried himself rather aloofly in a rather "I'm too cool" way so I'm wondering what kind of Sakamoto he will be.

It's confirmed that JIN will have a total run of 11 episodes.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 22nd, '09, 00:55

haha that's pretty true. I'm imagining he's gonna portray Sakamoto as a cool guy with idealism and such. Kind of like "I will right the world and kill off all the bad guys" feeling. Well, we will have to see what happens. I don't even know how the real Sakamoto in history is suppose to be. I also have no idea how they will portray him in the Taiga drama. I'm not a fan of Fukuyama, but he's tolerable. I wouldn't avoid a drama just because he's in it.

I actually liked Galileo minus all the repetitive random formula writing. Course, Suspect X was better than the drama maybe. I liked the science and odd cases.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Nov 22nd, '09, 01:14

seirin wrote:haha that's pretty true. I'm imagining he's gonna portray Sakamoto as a cool guy with idealism and such. Kind of like "I will right the world and kill off all the bad guys" feeling. Well, we will have to see what happens. I don't even know how the real Sakamoto in history is suppose to be. I also have no idea how they will portray him in the Taiga drama. I'm not a fan of Fukuyama, but he's tolerable. I wouldn't avoid a drama just because he's in it.

I actually liked Galileo minus all the repetitive random formula writing. Course, Suspect X was better than the drama maybe. I liked the science and odd cases.
Haha. Neither do I although I'd imagine him to have such a magnetic and forceful personality to have achieved so much in his short life. I guess I'd rather go back and watch Fuurin Kazan than attempt Ryomaden. Uchino anytime.

I liked Suspect X more than Galileo too. That's because there was Tsutsumi Shinichi and Matsuyuki Yasuko!!! :mrgreen:

And I don't know if I've already said this but the boy actor who stars as Kiichi really steals the thunder from Ayase. Not that I've expected much from her all along knowing how limited her range is. I hope he gets substantial screen time in Ep7 since this episode involves Akane, the lady he's helping out now.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 22nd, '09, 17:00

I guess Uchino rubbed off on me as a dull boring guy back from Love Generation drama days. So I wouldn't really make an effort to watch his dramas. If he's in it, I wouldn't be repulsed to watch either. Acting skill wise, he's a pretty solid actor. Just not my cup of tea. Maybe if I hadn't watched him in LG, I wouldn't have had a bad impression of him for years.

hunterkirualeorio

Post by hunterkirualeorio » Nov 22nd, '09, 21:29

From the pace of the drama, it seems like they might end the season with...
Nokaze having a breast surgery and Saki getting an arranged marriage.

Peggy

Sakamoto

Post by Peggy » Nov 23rd, '09, 07:45

Sakamoto has been played by a few actrors. In the drama 'ATSUHIME' he was played by Tamaki Hiroshi. He is quite young looking and has done a lot of dramas and films. However as I remember the character in 'ATSUHIME' he was around thirty-ish and he was quite different from the usual samurai. He was very western in outlook and greatly interested in 'foreign' armaments. Carried a revolver as well as a sword. Whether he really was that friendly with the Princess I don't know, but she had long discussions with him about the political and military happenings of that time.
It is a pity he was killed. He would have been a most interesting man.

Peggy

Toritorisan

Post by Toritorisan » Nov 23rd, '09, 08:15

seirin wrote:I guess Uchino rubbed off on me as a dull boring guy back from Love Generation drama days. So I wouldn't really make an effort to watch his dramas. If he's in it, I wouldn't be repulsed to watch either. Acting skill wise, he's a pretty solid actor. Just not my cup of tea. Maybe if I hadn't watched him in LG, I wouldn't have had a bad impression of him for years.
It's been awhile since I've watched Uchino is such a great role. I've liked his acting since I watched him in "Mrs Cinderella." It isn't such a famous drama, but the storyline was really good and I really fell in love with his character... I really like him in Jin, so different than some of the other roles I've watched him in.

Oosawa is another actor I haven't watched for awhile. Although he has been in dramas, none of them really caught my attention as Jin has. Even though Hoshi no Kinka is my favorite drama, my favorite role (before Jin) of his was in "Utskushii Hito", where he played the antagonist in the story, which made the storyline very suspenseful. It was so different than his "good doctor" image in Hoshi no Kinka.

Actually, the whole cast is good in this drama. It's been awhile since I watched such an interesting medical storyline. There are a lot of medical Jdramas out there, but this one is definitely different and really interesting.

hiroshi

Post by hiroshi » Nov 25th, '09, 06:19

Just finished watching Episode 7. This is an outstanding series. I'm already bummed that there's only four more episodes left! Season 2 please! :D

Minakata-sensei: the Edo jidai era McGyver ...

airskape

Post by airskape » Nov 25th, '09, 10:04

great drama, although it is starting to get rather ridiculous in what he is able to perform in terms of different types of surgeries. one episode he's a neurosurgeon, the next a plastic surgeon, etc..

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 26th, '09, 01:14

Well, what he did for plastic surgery isn't anything special. I think that should be pretty basic knowledge for surgeons. Course, if he were to do a Batista surgery and he's a neurosurgeon, then you would wonder...

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Nov 26th, '09, 03:51

For what's worth, it's called skin grafting. And nice one on the Batista joke. :mrgreen:

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Nov 29th, '09, 14:49

A few of my cousins are GPs, I should ask them if they know how to make penicillin next time I see them. Also, what they remember about conditions found in undeveloped countries. :D

Gitik

Post by Gitik » Nov 29th, '09, 16:50

JIN is so fascinating because the fiction is very close to the truth.
More info about penicilin:
Many ancient cultures already used moulds and other plants to treat infection. This worked because some moulds produce antibiotic substances. So the idea "how to make an antibacterial substance" is very old. Alexander Fleming was the first man, who was able to isolate the active antibacterial substance. He decided to name this substance "penicilin." The term penicillin originally refers to the mixture of substances that are naturally (and organically) produced. But its discovery was fortuitous accident: Fleming noticed a petri dish containing Staphylococcus plate culture he had mistakenly left open, which was contaminated by blue-green mould, which had formed a visible growth. There is not problem "how to make it" but "how to isolate it in effective concetration," we can see it explained very well in the show.
Minakata-sensei is very McGyver-like, but his methods are based on real facts. He is always very lucky, but still... he can do it. He can know it. The key information of that process is not common knowledge, I think, so he needs little help from Miki. Excellent hint, isn´t it? We know her and her character better now thanks to this help. And moreover, Minakata can produce penicilin...
Mass production is questionable, but they found very interesting handling of their problem. You believe them, that they really can do it...

Do you know it? The producing of "stable" penicilin (and its research) is Nobel Prize awarded discovery! You believe them, that they really can do it in old Edo... no wonder, with Yamasa´s soy sauce team :lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penicillin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_of_penicillin

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Nov 29th, '09, 19:19

raven_frost wrote:
I somehow still find Sakamoto's character in JIN rather bizarre but nevertheless Uchino's charisma and screen presence is undeniable.
I agree about the character's bizarreness. I find it very odd how Sakamoto appears at random moments and random places. I also find the lines he speaks hard to make sense of.

As regards Uchino, I thought he was very good as the angsty, fanatical trainer in Ace wo nerae. In JIN, so far, the script hasn't given him an opportunity to shine.

Gitik

Post by Gitik » Nov 29th, '09, 22:00

Sakari wrote:
raven_frost wrote:
I somehow still find Sakamoto's character in JIN rather bizarre but nevertheless Uchino's charisma and screen presence is undeniable.
I agree about the character's bizarreness. I find it very odd how Sakamoto appears at random moments and random places. I also find the lines he speaks hard to make sense of.

As regards Uchino, I thought he was very good as the angsty, fanatical trainer in Ace wo nerae. In JIN, so far, the script hasn't given him an opportunity to shine.
Sakomoto stands out very much. He is like dazzling (charismatic) creature, the pure essence of randomness in JIN. Is he completely odd or is he embedded deus ex machina? Because his storytelling role is important and his random actions are moving everthing forward.
Furthermore, he speaks in different way than others, it is an english slang in subtitles, isn´t it? I like decoding his lines. "yer"-> you, your... I can uderstand it and catch its meaning, because it is regular internet spelling. :D (He speaks like that beacause he comes from Tosa? I can´t speak japaneese, so I don´t know. I don´t have any "laguage alarm" or experience for it. I radomly noticed: Minakata says something, then Sakomoto repeats it and it sounds very different from Minakata´s speech because of his intonation.)

UedaJiro

Post by UedaJiro » Nov 30th, '09, 10:57

Oh, where does this drama lead to?

I don't know the Manga, so I am just speculating.
I guess we won't see Jin marrying Saki and having Nokaze as his mistress...
I cannot wait for the next episode.

In the first episode in present times, Jin fixes Sakamoto's head after he had been cut... so I guess Sakamoto will be injured some episodes later, he will time-slip to the future and then take the med kit from the hospital to take it back to his time, which makes only sense after he already knows Jin.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Nov 30th, '09, 15:12

Gitik wrote:
(Sakomoto) speaks in different way than others, it is an english slang in subtitles, isn´t it? I like decoding his lines. "yer"-> you, your... I can uderstand it and catch its meaning, because it is regular internet spelling.
Yes, I understand that the subbers are trying to show that he speaks a dialect. But my problem is that I simply do not understand where he is coming from, or indeed the need for his character. OK, that would probably need some knowledge of Japanese history in the 19th century, and I'm pretty weak on the subject.

Even so, if Sakamoto is a Navy person, shouldn't there be ships somewhere? So far, I think there was one scene where he was standing on the seashore (with Fumiyo Kohinata's character) - but even then, I could not understand the dialogue. And shouldn't he be standing on a ship's deck, rather than on the shore?

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » Nov 30th, '09, 15:34

Sakamoto Ryoma is one of the most famous people in Japanese history, and he is considered to be the founder of the Japanese Navy. He was going to assassinate Katsu Rintaro (Kaishu), but Kaishu was able to talk his way out of it, and turned Ryoma into a follower. Ryoma hasn't founded the Navy yet, because he still has to get several hundred samarai and start a naval school. Ryoma was going to kill Kaishu 1862, and he dies in 1865, so obviously he can't do all of the things he is supposed to do in 11 episodes.

Hachiko-chan

Post by Hachiko-chan » Nov 30th, '09, 17:11

Ryoma was portrayed more as a family man in Atsuhime.
What I've read about him(besides the founding of more modern imperial japanese navy)
is that he was very fond of his wife Oryo. The trip he took his wife on is considered the vwry first honeymoon trip ever in Japan.

This picture is said to be a portrait of Oryo:

http://www.japanprobe.com/2008/05/16/sa ... omas-wife/

Uchino portrays Ryoma more as a humorous, laid back guy with a strong believe in what is right.
I'm though a little sceptical about Fukuyamas version will his version be a extra cool sake swinging ronin or something a bit more serious.
I do hope he surprises me in a positive way
I just can't see him in the part :unsure:

http://www.japan-zone.com/modern/pix/f/ ... _ryoma.jpg

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Dec 2nd, '09, 10:55

wow I'm surprised. The most boring episode of Jin and it has the highest rating :O 22.3% Next episode looks more interesting. Hopefully the ratings keep going up.

A.N.JELL

Post by A.N.JELL » Dec 2nd, '09, 12:17

seirin wrote:wow I'm surprised. The most boring episode of Jin and it has the highest rating :O 22.3% Next episode looks more interesting. Hopefully the ratings keep going up.
I thought it was a very nice episode :-)
Though the next episode looks really really awesome!

I really want to read the manga... does anyone know if there are plans of an american release?

Fumei

Post by Fumei » Dec 2nd, '09, 12:23

seirin wrote:wow I'm surprised. The most boring episode of Jin and it has the highest rating :O 22.3% Next episode looks more interesting. Hopefully the ratings keep going up.
probably more and more people are getting interested in the drama. Even if it isn't a good episode people will watch it because they are interested XD
and your right the next episode looks more interesting! I want to wait what happened to the picture 0o (yes I'm a person who is anxious in small details XD)

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Dec 2nd, '09, 12:33

ep9 looks really good.. im curious to what the photo shows :O anyone got a feeling what the photo might show?

A.N.JELL

Post by A.N.JELL » Dec 2nd, '09, 12:39

furransu wrote:ep9 looks really good.. im curious to what the photo shows :O anyone got a feeling what the photo might show?
I'm as bad as a fortune cookie :-(

What do you think the photo shows?

On a different note... *clears throat*
Who is the fetus?

Fumei

Post by Fumei » Dec 2nd, '09, 12:47

A.N.JELL wrote:
furransu wrote:ep9 looks really good.. im curious to what the photo shows :O anyone got a feeling what the photo might show?
I'm as bad as a fortune cookie :-(

What do you think the photo shows?
Umh what the photo shows... it could be all sort of things... Maybe Jin isn't on the photo anymore... Or maybe Miki has turned to the worst point... let's just say this: whatever changed in the picture: it isn't good
A.N.JELL wrote: On a different note... *clears throat*
Who is the fetus?
I would like to know that aswell.. or what the meaning is of the fetus...

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Dec 2nd, '09, 13:02

maybe the fetus could be Jin himself? :O

A.N.JELL

Post by A.N.JELL » Dec 2nd, '09, 13:13

Fumei wrote: Umh what the photo shows... it could be all sort of things... Maybe Jin isn't on the photo anymore... Or maybe Miki has turned to the worst point... let's just say this: whatever changed in the picture: it isn't good
OMG :O Jin, not in the photo???
He is the only good thing in that picture!
By good i mean nice to stare at... for a very very long time :wub:

This series has a lot of HOT men ne?
Fumei wrote:I would like to know that aswell.. or what the meaning is of the fetus...
I think everyone would like to know... i think it looks cute XD
furransu wrote:maybe the fetus could be Jin himself? :O
If this fortune cookie prediction of yours is true, i might have to smack you XD

Why do Japanese shows have to be so damn good!

Does anyone know where i can find the manga to purchase?

Gitik

Post by Gitik » Dec 2nd, '09, 15:05

Sakari wrote:
Gitik wrote:
(Sakomoto) speaks in different way than others, it is an english slang in subtitles, isn´t it? I like decoding his lines. "yer"-> you, your... I can uderstand it and catch its meaning, because it is regular internet spelling.
Yes, I understand that the subbers are trying to show that he speaks a dialect. But my problem is that I simply do not understand where he is coming from, or indeed the need for his character. OK, that would probably need some knowledge of Japanese history in the 19th century, and I'm pretty weak on the subject.

Even so, if Sakamoto is a Navy person, shouldn't there be ships somewhere? So far, I think there was one scene where he was standing on the seashore (with Fumiyo Kohinata's character) - but even then, I could not understand the dialogue. And shouldn't he be standing on a ship's deck, rather than on the shore?
As for slang laguage problem - my secret weapon is Urban Dictionary (special online dictionary of english slang): http://www.urbandictionary.com/
and all facts about Japaneese history background, real historical persons or special medical stuff (= the problematic confusing words) are good explained at wikipedia
as for "Sakamoto understanding problem" - he constantly causes laguage problems to my friends ( weak english) too, so I decided to write special article about it with explanation problematic lines - feel free to PM me - I will help you and you help me to complete an article :D
I´m doing big and very deep JIN themed research, because I´m traslating JIN into the czech language and I write about my results of research reguarly. I´m slow fansubber, beause there is a lot of difficult stuff and I tend to write more about english x czech x japaneese matters than translating.
Uhm, it is classical problem of asian dramas *in love* developing country with minor language. Big boom, a lot of excited people, who are weak at english, but almost no language support there. Recently, Memories of Geisha gained status of very amazing movie about Japan and its culture at comments at my friend´s blog. Just for your imagination of generall taste and common knowledge ... ( and then you can try to compare it to Jin episode 8 ) :D

Fumei

Post by Fumei » Dec 2nd, '09, 17:29

A.N.JELL wrote:
Fumei wrote: Umh what the photo shows... it could be all sort of things... Maybe Jin isn't on the photo anymore... Or maybe Miki has turned to the worst point... let's just say this: whatever changed in the picture: it isn't good
OMG :O Jin, not in the photo???
He is the only good thing in that picture!
By good i mean nice to stare at... for a very very long time :wub:

This series has a lot of HOT men ne?
It has indeed!!! so many lovely hot men <333 but it would be indeed a disaster if Jin would be in the picture, because he is indeed the only hot thing in there XD But well who knows? He was so shocked!
furransu wrote:maybe the fetus could be Jin himself? :O
If this fortune cookie prediction of yours is true, i might have to smack you XD [/quote]
Would it be himself?? That would be a little bit awkward if you ask me XD
Or it is him when he timetravels... argh my mind is overflowing with all kind of thoughts!
A.N.JELL wrote:Why do Japanese shows have to be so damn good!

Does anyone know where i can find the manga to purchase?
Because the japanese have to be so darn evil!!

A.N.JELL wrote: I totally agree with you about the story & cliffhangers. I guess that's one of the charms of watching a J/Kdrama.
I like Asian Dorama's because they actually have good plots & i know it won't go on for 6-10 years. Though i wouldn't mind JIN coming back for a second season... if they don't really end it with one :D
A second season would be marvelous, if they don't know how to make a good end to it. But that's only if they will make a second season that can follow up the manga...
I also follow American shows... though i'm currently really addicted to UK shows as well.
Right now i'm avidly following Merlin & The Legend of the Seeker.

I think we should discuss this in the JIN discussion thread rather than spamming this thread... since people subscribe to it to know when the new subs are out :lol
Ah UK series are alsow lovely <333 all I have to admit that I'm only following Top Gear <33333 and Doctor Who <333 (can't wait until the christmas special and until january when the new doctor omes <333) But let's keep that for that and this for this, because we ain't really talking here about american or uk series XP
A.N.JELL wrote: Does anyone know where i can find the manga to purchase?
Only japanese version is available! it hasn't been translated yet Y__Y I even can't find any translation of it Y__Y

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Dec 2nd, '09, 17:36

Gitik wrote:[
as for "Sakamoto understanding problem" - he constantly causes laguage problems to my friends ( weak english) too, so I decided to write special article about it with explanation problematic lines - feel free to PM me - I will help you and you help me to complete an article
My problem is not the English of the subtitles - if a Sakamoto subtitle reads as "ta dis world", it's all right with me.

Rather, it is what I have read about Sakamoto, namely, that he is supposed to be a key actor in the development of the Japanese navy. Yet, in JIN, almost nothing of his naval activities is shown. Instead, he is hanging around Minakata almost constantly. And Minakata has, well, nothing to do with the navy.

So, Sakamoto seems to be something of a plot device. Because of his celebrity status, Minakata knows him to such a degree that he even knows Sakamoto's date of death. It seems that things are being set up such that there will be an attempt - almost successful - to kill Sakamoto and Minakata will have a chance to save his life. If Minakata did not know when the real Sakamoto died, then there would be no drama. But Minakata knows, so saving Sakamoto will mean more than saving one man's life; it will mean changing history.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Dec 2nd, '09, 20:32

@sakari
Pay more attention to the dates, they're different from ep to ep. As the saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day."

I agree that they'll probably use the Ryoma assassination in their plot. Jin saves Ryoma or Jin doesn't, we'll see.

Rather, it is what I have read about Sakamoto, namely, that he is supposed to be a key actor in the development of the Japanese navy. Yet, in JIN, almost nothing of his naval activities is shown. Instead, he is hanging around Minakata almost constantly. And Minakata has, well, nothing to do with the navy.
I'd say irrelevant as this is a work of fiction & does not need to be historically accurate.

Gitik

Post by Gitik » Dec 3rd, '09, 14:29

Sakari wrote:
Gitik wrote:[
as for "Sakamoto understanding problem" - he constantly causes laguage problems to my friends ( weak english) too, so I decided to write special article about it with explanation problematic lines - feel free to PM me - I will help you and you help me to complete an article
My problem is not the English of the subtitles - if a Sakamoto subtitle reads as "ta dis world", it's all right with me.

So, Sakamoto seems to be something of a plot device. Because of his celebrity status, Minakata knows him to such a degree that he even knows Sakamoto's date of death. It seems that things are being set up such that there will be an attempt - almost successful - to kill Sakamoto and Minakata will have a chance to save his life. If Minakata did not know when the real Sakamoto died, then there would be no drama. But Minakata knows, so saving Sakamoto will mean more than saving one man's life; it will mean changing history.
I see. Thanks for clearing. I got you wrongly.
Jin is historical fiction but it is very close to real history. Sakomoto is keep thinking about that issue, there is Sakomoto and sea, Sakomoto standing on the shore... and we can see him on the deck of some little boat only once. As mentioned above the dates are important, Sakamoto and the navy is only the final result. Even it is not shown fully developed it is shown a lot and very often.
Storytelling role of Sakamoto keeps rising episode by episode, so I´m really looking forward to next episode. Do you noticed the symbolism, that connected prologue of first episode and episode 8 (mainly its last words)? It is very complex vision (hint: "with your own hand") and we deal with alterning history, so I think there will be definetely Sakamoto´s plot device of key importance. I agree with your idea. That makes sense.
We also cannot predict "full changing of history effect" due to Kiichi´mother and her side-story.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Dec 3rd, '09, 16:48

Gitik wrote: We also cannot predict "full changing of history effect" due to Kiichi´mother and her side-story.
No. Of course, anything Minakata does, no matter how small, will change history - that is the fascination of time jumps. I keep thinking of his work in the red-light district. Due to venereal disease and failed abortions, many girls and women would probably have died rather early. Now, Minakata's wonder medicine is working against this high mortality. So the effect must be strong. It would be different, had he landed, say, in a rural area in Hokkaido, where we could imagine old age being the usual cause of death...

Found this when searching for the manga: Image But I don't know whether that's Saki or Nokaze...

fleng

Post by fleng » Dec 3rd, '09, 16:49

Can't wait for episode 9!! It just gets better and better and better and BETTER!

A.N.JELL

Post by A.N.JELL » Dec 3rd, '09, 17:12

Sakari wrote: Found this when searching for the manga: Image But I don't know whether that's Saki or Nokaze...
I think it's Saki... though i'm not 100% sure :unsure:

Can someone translate this Manga/Liveaction character chart please~
Source

Gitik

Post by Gitik » Dec 3rd, '09, 19:43

A.N.JELL wrote:
Sakari wrote: Found this when searching for the manga: Image But I don't know whether that's Saki or Nokaze...
I think it's Saki... though i'm not 100% sure :unsure:
Can someone translate this Manga/Liveaction character chart please~
Seconded with Saki. It is because her hairstyle typical for young girl. There are different hairstyles of several meanings. Maybe more info about typical hairstyle you can learn in Atsu-hime, I remember that they are choosing "the right hairstyle for Atsu-hime" at one episode. It is brilliant part. Courtesans (as you can notice in JIN) have always very decorative style of hairstyles. From my JIN research: http://www.ginacolliasuzuki.com/spot-a-prostitute.html
Moreover, "manga Nokaze" has a horse face, so she looks similar to her jdrama version. I´m picture-reading manga raw now. I don´t speak japaneese and I cannot read the text. But it is still very enjoyable.

Your picture contains correlation chart for JIN. As you propably know, there is picture actor + picture manga character, who that actor plays in jdrama version. There should be names and written info about the actor in my opinion. You can check JIN correlation chart on official website: http://www.tbs.co.jp/jin2009/chart/ (it is clickable, so click on the picture -> new window with character gallery with character info is opened -> see the name in chart and compare it with poster and dramawiki profile of cast -> some pictures are the same)
I´m aware that is not extra help, but you can also try to visit JIN - characters at http://jdramas.wordpress.com/2009/10/22 ... haracters/
I suspect this article to be translation or some re-telled version of correlation chart. (And there you can find full names too. Comparing manga picture with their character info is truly interesting.)

So I have recognised / decoded at that poster (correct me if I mistaken somebody):
green: Minakata
salmon pink: Saki - violet: Nokaze - blue: Sakamoto
yellow: Katsu ( Katsu Kaishu, Sakamoto Ryoma’s mentor) pink: Tachibana family (mother) - pink: Tachibana family (Kyotaro)
sky-blue: Western Medicine Office doctors (Saburi) - sky-blue: Western Medicine Office doctors (Yamada ) -sky-blue: Western Medicine Office doctors (Ogata)
side column- Edo rezidents: orange: (Tae) - greenish: Yoshiwara (Suzuya Hikosaburo, he is a father figure to Nokaze)

notes: big red elipse in the middle: MINAKATA JIN
blue elipse above each picture: name of character + black text is character info (maybe)
big white text in coloured frame: name of actor /actress + black text his/her info profile (born, who is he/she, previous famous role) (maybe)

source link visited: red blocks [1024x 768] [1600x1200] - are clickable, it looks like a wallpaper to dowload (and help text how to save it and use it ) - very cool feature *taking*
-That´s all. My ultimate picture-reading-based translating process finished. :salut:

citrone

Post by citrone » Dec 5th, '09, 00:05

For the ep 9 preview, Jin's headaches remind me the first eps where they find the BRRRR!!! lets say little thing!

Maybe who time traveled was the JIN himself????

A.N.JELL

Post by A.N.JELL » Dec 5th, '09, 06:03

citrone wrote:For the ep 9 preview, Jin's headaches remind me the first eps where they find the BRRRR!!! lets say little thing!

I think so too :D

SMAPcracklepop

Post by SMAPcracklepop » Dec 6th, '09, 04:47

A.N.JELL wrote:
citrone wrote:For the ep 9 preview, Jin's headaches remind me the first eps where they find the BRRRR!!! lets say little thing!

I think so too :D
I think a lot of us have felt that way since about ep. 2 or 3. But from the preview for next episode it appears Jin might have finally come to that conclusion himself.

As for the talk about Sakamoto, I don't think showing his naval activities are really important because the drama isn't about him. The main point of him being there is the implication that Jin may have influenced his decision to start on that path and of course how Jin relates to his assassination. It does seem like he's with Jin a lot but they do talk about his travels and exploits and I think from the start of the series it's already been over a year.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Dec 6th, '09, 12:17

citrone wrote: Maybe who time traveled was the JIN himself????
But wouldn't that mean that Jin operated on himself in episode 1? Sounds weird. Of course, time travel is weird...

On the other hand, the bandaged patient of episode 1 had wounds that might have resulted from an assassination attempt. Sakamoto?

But where did Formalin-kun come from? And where is he/she now?

Gitik

Post by Gitik » Dec 6th, '09, 14:07

Sakari wrote:
citrone wrote: Maybe who time traveled was the JIN himself????
But wouldn't that mean that Jin operated on himself in episode 1? Sounds weird. Of course, time travel is weird...

On the other hand, the bandaged patient of episode 1 had wounds that might have resulted from an assassination attempt. Sakamoto?

But where did Formalin-kun come from? And where is he/she now?
Being twice at one place is weird. In Potter series, there is something like it possible. But Rowling´s explanation of altering history is totally weird and contains twisted nonsense.
Formaline-kun has symbolic meaning of somebody who is newly born. Indeed. Maybe he is Jin - not himself as a human but as symbolic alter ego, newly born doctor to the core. They are connected, definetely due a very deep (and very JIN-like) idea.
As for mysterious patient of ep. 1: Time traveling caused by close death. Nice idea and very sophisticated. It worked for Jin in ep. 1 too. Uhm, isn´t it basically fanservice for Sakamoto fans (he wasn ´t killed in old Edo times) and open end for next season? I hope we will see very JIN-like end and no bullshit. There is also analogy between Jin and Sakamoto ( the vessel issue). Just to switch them: Sakamoto goes to future, Jin goes to past times and contrariwise... Both can learn something new and then the history could be switched back to new reality of present days. On the other hand, the patient had had to know what he needed to find and took the the basic medical stuff like a doctor :scratch: *beware, she is Kinoko Nasu fan*
Oh, Formalin-kun as girl version! I have always thought that our BRR! thing is a boy... the girl-possibility could reverse our predictions upsidedown. It sounds very crazy, but Miki herself can not speak, so she literally decided to send a brr-thing as an soulmate guide in order to help Minakata with dealing the altering history issue and she could find a chance to recover herself thanks to him. Nokaze´s kaleidoscope is also analogy with altering history. It is seen in the hands of a girl all that time.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Dec 6th, '09, 17:37

Gitik wrote:... the patient had had to know what he needed to find and took the the basic medical stuff like a doctor
Rewatching the staircase scene in episode 1: the patient was carrying the medical bag, yes. But I thought his voice was Sakamoto's. The voice is heard because the patient says he has to go back to "that world"...

menaine

Post by menaine » Dec 6th, '09, 23:29

yeah, it's sound like sakamoto's voice

but the eyes, look like jin's eyes :scratch:

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Dec 6th, '09, 23:41

I used to think the bandaged dude in ep1 is Sakamoto becaues of the voice, but now I think its most likely Jin. That and that, OR what if the bandaged dude is both Jin & Ryoma at the same time, a hybrid, hehe, joke.