Where are all the dorama viewers?

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
outcast_within

Where are all the dorama viewers?

Post by outcast_within » Dec 8th, '09, 17:49

Are there not that many? Are we a select chosen few who see pretty boys fooling around, love triangles being smashed, sports won?

If you want to see dorama i don't really know of any other way that gives you video decent quality and subbing speed. So from this i conclude Many dorama viewers are d addicts visitors.
So how come the forum is so dead? Except for a couple kyaaaa-ing high school girls, and poor english speaking mexican :). Where is everybody?

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » Dec 8th, '09, 18:13

Timing a dorama I am working on, so I should really be reading this thread.

Gir

Post by Gir » Dec 8th, '09, 18:40

I'm working on my backlog of about 50 unwatched dramas, and close to as many movies.

And yet I keep downloading them. :lol

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » Dec 8th, '09, 18:48

You should save them for the winter, cause most of the dorama's suck. Spinoff's and second seasons. Blech! Boring.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Dec 8th, '09, 19:44

I'm still around (for a little while, got work tomorrow). Halfway through drama Maria, have also watched some episodes of Begin Japanology (NHK) and VSSing as usual.

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » Dec 8th, '09, 19:59

Oh, I wish that dorama had been long. Really loved seeing Gottchan, but they just seemed to rush it way too much.

zeox

Post by zeox » Dec 12th, '09, 10:54

I just haven't seen any recent dramas that seem interesting to me, that's all.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Dec 12th, '09, 12:04

i think this season's dramas have been quite good.. next season will be horrible, almost all of them have johnny actors :@:@:@

only interested in 4 dramas next season - massugu na otoko, bloody monday 2, magararenai onna & naka nai to kimeta hi

sajerla

Post by sajerla » Dec 12th, '09, 12:27

i have to agree, some of this season's dramas is quite good. but nxt season...idk none seems interestng to me. will hve to see first.

rcpp

Post by rcpp » Dec 12th, '09, 12:49

Hello !

As a matter of fact i don't know any other website that provides as much drama information, subs and raws as d-addicts.com so i think too that every decent drama fan is bound to know this website. I'm not really the forum-addict type, but i do come here quite often, since i've been a great K-drama fan for about 2 years.
And to break the clichees i'm 24yo french male, and i love K-Dramas (well most of them anyway) because I think it gives a different, more transcendant prospective on romanticism, which can't be found in usa movies (well not with that much intensity).

Hi to all drama addicts from arround the world !

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Dec 12th, '09, 13:36

@TS
What are yout talking about! the fangirls are multiplying by the second :P

For what its worth DA forum activity is no different from a hundred other tracker sites out there, private or public. I only know one private tracker site that has more activity in their forum than the actual torrents themselves :P

Maybe its just everybody is busy, who knows.

7-go

Post by 7-go » Dec 12th, '09, 14:07

I'm busy managing my own forum. :goggle:

Perhaps like me, many dorama fans are out there somewhere. crawling slowly seeking interesting thread,

and most of us out here don't understand japanese language well. If we could pitch in somewhere (subbing etc) I think we'll be around more often instead of visiting without login like always. lol

erlog

Post by erlog » Dec 14th, '09, 02:47

This thread got me to log in to post more. I did study abroad in Japan, and my Japanese is alright enough to understand most shows at a basic level. I use the dramas from this site as entertainment and light studying. The trouble is that Japanese dramas move so fast with 2-3 seasons of new shows every year, and a back log of older shows that I find it tough to keep up with everyone here.

So far I've watched Life(all of item), BOSS(most of it), and am in the middle of My Boss My Hero. I think I'll try to pick up Ohitorisama, and get in on that discussion.

x1xBladex1x

Post by x1xBladex1x » Dec 14th, '09, 03:27

erlog wrote:This thread got me to log in to post more. I did study abroad in Japan, and my Japanese is alright enough to understand most shows at a basic level. I use the dramas from this site as entertainment and light studying. The trouble is that Japanese dramas move so fast with 2-3 seasons of new shows every year, and a back log of older shows that I find it tough to keep up with everyone here.

So far I've watched Life(all of item), BOSS(most of it), and am in the middle of My Boss My Hero. I think I'll try to pick up Ohitorisama, and get in on that discussion.

=O BOSS is awesome, you should definitely finish it! ^^

erlog

Post by erlog » Dec 14th, '09, 03:32

Man, now I have to try to figure out where I left off.

outcast_within

Post by outcast_within » Dec 14th, '09, 15:23

rcpp wrote:Hello !

As a matter of fact i don't know any other website that provides as much drama information, subs and raws as d-addicts.com so i think too that every decent drama fan is bound to know this website. I'm not really the forum-addict type, but i do come here quite often, since i've been a great K-drama fan for about 2 years.
And to break the clichees i'm 24yo french male, and i love K-Dramas (well most of them anyway) because I think it gives a different, more transcendant prospective on romanticism, which can't be found in usa movies (well not with that much intensity).

Hi to all drama addicts from arround the world !
See there are no other websites like these. This must mean people don't want to discuss the shows they have seen? How do they discuss it.. with friends?
1. Not many people per 1000 watch it so that will be hard.
2. Time frame since people watch it at their own leisure it's kinda hard to talk to people about it who know the series or are watching it as well.
So yeah why aren't they on the forums more to discuss their favourite shows.

And to your last piece that is also a cliche lol.
Besides the kyaaing school girls, there are the super softy showing their female side guys on this forums.

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » Dec 14th, '09, 15:38

7-go wrote: and most of us out here don't understand japanese language well. If we could pitch in somewhere (subbing etc) I think we'll be around more often instead of visiting without login like always. lol
What makes you think you can't pitch in somewhere. I saw that someone was going to translate a dorama I really wanted to see, so I offered to help her. We got two other people and now we are a fansub team. I just helped another fansub team spot time another dorama yesterday, and I am going to do it again today. A month ago I only had a basic knowledge of timing and typesetting, but I get better at it each day. And it is actually getting easy to do it.

Now I have no time to watch dorama's. Waaaaaaaah!

helterskelter

Re: Where are all the dorama viewers?

Post by helterskelter » Dec 15th, '09, 01:34

I am a fan but I don't frequent this site unless I'm looking for a new series to watch. I started Manhattan Love Story but stopped midway as I got caught up with the kdrama, You're Beautiful :D

Is there any super dorama blogger like the great kdrama blogger javabeans? hehe :P I would love to read updates on new series etc.

outcast_within

Post by outcast_within » Dec 15th, '09, 12:54

So far only 12 people reacted on this thread. Maybe there are not that many english speaking people who watch dorama.

But then i made a quick check on a recent shows subtitle nr of downloads.

Description:
Buzzer Beat ep11 Finale- Eng Sub

Download
Filename: Buzzer Beat ep11 Finale (704x396 XviD 1.2).srt
Filesize: 53.05 KB
Downloaded: 12999 Time(s)

13.000 viewers an episode. 12 episodes. 156000 total views. 450 thread posts.
that's like 0,002 post per view

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Dec 15th, '09, 14:23

Ech, people. We, registered users, are the minority. Most of the people are just leechers who want to take as much as they can, not giving anything in return. That is why forum is so dead. I'm here at least twice a day (before and after work).
And although I mastered in japanese language I don't watch jdramas at all. Don't convince me to do it. I'm helpless kdrama addict.
Peace to you all (and to me too)!

erlog

Post by erlog » Dec 15th, '09, 14:49

Ethlenn wrote:Ech, people. We, registered users, are the minority. Most of the people are just leechers who want to take as much as they can, not giving anything in return. !
I'm not sure that's true. I seeded quite a bit before I ever registered here. I know there are probably a lot of leechers, since that's the nature of a public torrent site, but I wouldn't knock them too hard about it.

Many people who use torrents simply aren't sophisticated enough to know the etiquette of it. They probably don't even realize they're downloading from other people, and that they should also upload to other people.

Another reason not to be too hard on them is that we obviously share a common niche interest with them. They're the people we would like to get more of on this forum. This isn't like we're sharing pop music here. We're sharing asian TV shows in a community that doesn't speak those languages. We would like to promote discussion about those shows since there are few other places to discuss them online. It's not like I can discuss them over the water cooler at work.

Our interest here truly is niche, and so I don't think you should be so flippantly discounting people. Most people in the US, at least, are just now becoming comfortable enough with subtitles that they've started appearing more often on television dramas here. There's a ton of people in the US who probably would never watch a j/k/c-drama no matter how good it was because they'd have to read the subtitles. We barely watch any British television here, and that's in English. The only way to see Top Gear is a stripped down version on BBC America on cable. I think, maybe, you shouldn't be so hard on them.

Unless we want to petition to take this site private, require registration, there's not too many other options for increasing involvement. There's also the issue that the way the site is set up is kind of confusing. There's real discussion in the main forum, but there's no real discussion besides "Thanks!," and "Are there subs yet?" in the thread for the actual torrents. It would be easy for a lot of people to assume that there really is no discussion. It might be better if it was policy that the torrents linked back to the main discussion thread for the shows.

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Dec 15th, '09, 16:31

I discuss the drama i watch with friends, although only a very few who watch J-dramas. Forum discussions are slow and dull and i'd much rather have a short and lively real-world conversation with one or two people than a week-long discussion with a dozen where the other participants may or may not bother to respond.

Plus I also think that for a lot of people and English sub is a happy medium between watching a raw and actually finding a sub in their native tongue -- they'll understand enough to follow the show, but not enough to feel comfortable jumping into a discussion. And is it any wonder?

The way Brits and Americans are rude to non-native English speakers (Mexican or otherwise) is one of the things I really hate about net culture (although D-Addicts in noticeably better than a lot of sites on this front).

Reminds me of the old joke:

Q: What do you call a person who speaks many languages?
A: Multilingual.
Q: What do you call a person who speaks two languages?
A: Bilingual.
Q: What do you call a person who speaks only one language?
A: English!

Ahem! Bad joke, sorry... but it's my second-favorite and i tell it every chance i get.

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Dec 15th, '09, 18:36

The reason why I haven´t been an active member lately, is that I have a school to attend. Even though most of the people might think that it isn´t a "good" reason, it actually is. High School (especially at my country) is really hard - schooldays are from 8. a.m to 16 p.m (8 hours from Monday to Friday) + homework. So most of my days are filled with studying. I believe that there are more persons who don´t have the time to visit forums so often. Sometimes I even have hard time on finding the time to watch doramas! and that makes me really mad!

I actually don´t like to discuss the doramas I´m watching. I like to think about them alone and make my own thoughts about it. If I want to discuss them, then I discuss them with my friends (it happened that I, my sister and best friend are all dorama-addicts O.o ) because we watch doramas together at our "movienights" (, which usually are Friday nights, when "normal" people go partying)

Anyway right now is the end of the year and Christmas really close, so I´m afraid that most of the people don´t have the time to be active member of the forum. :goggle:

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Dec 15th, '09, 20:53

I'm around, but most of the threads just aren't for me lately. I'm behind on several series, so I'm not really on those threads to avoid spoilers. I'm enjoying Tokyo DOGS, but the discussion hasn't really interested me. Most folks seem to dislike the comedy, so there doesn't feel like many people to talk to. I recently watched Manhattan Love Story and loved it, but I've been too lazy to start a thread. I love Aibou, but there's no discussion since it's not subbed. (Plus, the encoder doesn't appear to have done the past two episodes. :-( ) Untouchable seems fairly interesting from the episodes I've seen, but no discussion is going on since there are no subs. So mostly I just try to help people looking for certain kinds of dramas on the recommendation thread while waiting for a discussion to grab me.

Since my mother loves dramas too, I talk to her about the shows we're watching. I do miss some of the more active discussions that I remember from previous seasons and series. But you just can't peg when a show will come up that gets enough interest to make people post. Usually they seem to be shows with some ultra popular Johnny, so even then you'd better be ready for plenty of "kyaaaaing" schoolgirls. *chuckle*

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 16th, '09, 00:15

I guess I am guilty of not posting as much as some people do about the dramas they watch. At least on this site. I do connect on other sites and usually it is a site with Kdramas, and I go to another site to talk about jdoramas. I like to be able to talk about any drama or film regardless of it's origin, but I have been told to refrain rather sharply in the past for discussing anything but the particular actor in a particular drama from that country.
I have watched films in England and seen many European films with English subtitles over many years. I was always surprised that subtitles were not favoured in US.
I missed the Italian and Swedish films. Why don't people in US like subs by the way?

For a long time I watched Korean dramas without subs and found them pretty easy to understand. Good acting mostly. Then I realised that the plots were endlessly reworked. However, by that time I was hooked and got to know many actors by looks and name. The brightest day was finding Japanese film and drama. I always go back to RAN and those early ones.I did know about those in UK. I watch it all without subs because the variety shows are too spontaneous for subs. I am madly in love with one Japanese actor for about ten or twelve years. I won't mention names.... there are lots of good actors in Asia. I do not watch US TV except for some news and Charlie Rose night show. I do think most things turned out by H'wood have dumbed down the whole world not just US. At least most UK stuff is either good historical or just plain funny. Just need the British sense of humour which is often rather bawdy.,

I think I am a very right brain person and technical stuff is a mystery to me. I can d.l and put English subs on a video and burn a disc etc but have no idea how all the clever people here upload them in the first place. I am always very thankful to those who give us pleasure with their efforts in uploading dramas.

So to the person who is not happy because of the sparsity of posting I suggest you start things off by talking about a specific drama or film and then I am sure you will get a response. It is a little daunting to think of which drama or film is going to be of interest to the world at large. This site is a goldmine of information and holds so many treasures if you have the time to dig into it.

After quite a few years I know I have not found all the things here that are available.

So much to find ...So litttle time..Got to go...down the rabbit hole.

Peggy

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 16th, '09, 00:21

Forgot to add...

XRay...Yes that really is a very bad joke :-)

Peg :roll

erlog

Post by erlog » Dec 16th, '09, 01:15

Peggy wrote:Why don't people in US like subs by the way?
Well, it's not really that most people in the US actively hate subs, it's just that the US entertainment industry is very insular. The only real way to see shows from other countries is to get cable, and even then there's only a few channels that show stuff from other countries. PBS, actually, might show some stuff like they did the Pythons back in the day, but that's just one channel. The majority of the programming even on PBS is produced within the US.

Americans don't actively hate subtitles it's just that if they have to choose between something they understand natively and something they can only understand with subtitles, most of them will choose to watch the thing they understand natively. I think that's stupid because there's so many good things I've watched from countries all over the world that I wouldn't have been able to understand without subtitles. The average American doesn't care. They get more entertainment than they can ever hope to watch, in their native language, produced and distributed within the United States.

It makes sense if you think about it. If other countries are worried about the amount of entertainment the US exports to their countries, then what do you think living in the US is like? The US rarely imports shows. They might remake a few here and there for American audiences, but the major networks will never outright import a show no matter how much sense that makes. What's funny is that the ones that tend to get remade come from English-speaking countries.

It's mostly that Americans can happily avoid subtitles without feeling like they're missing anything. Even if they realize they're missing something, they kind of tell themselves that if it's good enough then it'll be remade in English for the US market anyway.

I'm obviously not like that. I highly value being bilingual, and I think it's one of the best decisions a person can make regarding their future. It gives you new perspective on your own culture while teaching you about another. It changes the way you look at the world. It's too bad most Americans don't really see it that way. Being bilingual seems to be the norm in quite a lot of places. It's almost a courteous gesture that shows you're making an effort to understand outside of your own lingual boundaries.

The people who are not scared of subtitles are just as good in my opinion. I have no interest in learning Italian, for instance, but I have seen some very good Italian movies that I would not have been able to understand without subtitles. The bilingual people need to work together amongst themselves to help understand things, and also to help the monolingual people communicate with the rest of the world. That is my perspective on it as an American, and part of the reason I chose to study Japanese to a high level.

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Dec 16th, '09, 04:12

outcast_within wrote:So far only 12 people reacted on this thread. Maybe there are not that many english speaking people who watch dorama.
I think that demographic is actually growing... maybe even exponentially. Maybe dorama viewers just prefer other outlets to hash out their reactions and opinions--like the LJ comms, for one. The "What dramas are you watching now?" thread over at J-D can get lively at times, although the specific dorama threads there hardly see action. There's actually more activity going on here at D-A with respect to the drama threads.

But yeah... there doesn't seem to be a Soompi analog for the Jdorama community, a forum where threads are practically chat rooms, lol.
XrayZ wrote:I discuss the drama i watch with friends, although only a very few who watch J-dramas. Forum discussions are slow and dull and i'd much rather have a short and lively real-world conversation with one or two people than a week-long discussion with a dozen where the other participants may or may not bother to respond.
LOL @ that joke, btw. :lol

I've had a few very fruitful/interesting/entertaining exchanges here at D-A, but for the most part, I tend to stay away from the currently active threads because I don't watch dramas in "real time," and always wait for a series to be completely subbed before watching it in one fell swoop. So you won't see me in (relatively) "hot" threads like JIN or Samurai High School, because I'm usually a full season behind. And by the time I've actually seen the drama and feel like discussing it, the people in the thread have already moved on to the next "hot" topic, lol. Which is probably why I feel more at ease over at the J-D thread, because I can talk about dramas that were aired months, years ago, and people won't mind.

@ JaJe: Yeah, I also watch and discuss dramas with my best friend, so maybe that's why I don't really mind the slow thread turnover at sites like this one.

I can understand why a lot of the older registered users aren't that active anymore. Some are probably more interested in K-dramas (or... TW-dramas? *shudder!* lol) than Jdorama right now, the same way I was an active K-watcher (and Soompi denizen) for years before recently discovering Jdoramaland--just this year, in fact. Lots of different reasons. Then there's other stuff like--oh, I dunno, The Real World, maybe? School, work, family obligations, deadlines... it sucks when that stuff sometimes gets in the way of things that truly matter, like downloading and watching dramas, ne? :P

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 16th, '09, 08:46

erlog,

Enjoyed your post a lot. I actually don't think subs are 'hated' in US. I have a theory that these days we have been trained to watch half hour shows that only have twenty minutes of substance and the rest is commercials. I think we find it difficult to keep concentration on an hour of show in many cases. We are in such a hurry to start and finsh and get on to something else. Big Brother wants us to listen to what is being sold in the CMs. Therefore having to spend time watching and actuallly reading a sub title is just too much effort. I may be wrong about this. Just my theory. I was used to doing it for the Italian and Swedish films since I was quite young so when I found the Asian shows and then when they started with subs it was a joy.
If you have a good understanding of Japanese I almost envy you. However, even without subs I watch and get the drift. My brain is really too old to concentrate on learning new languages I am afraid. I am not lazy about it. I love the nuances of the spoken Japanese. It is really very musical I think. I have a few words here and there. My neighbour has English and Spanish and her two small children use both ,which I think is great. I am also trying to get them to say Hello and goodbye in Japanese and Italian. It is rather sweet to hear a fourteen month old who now can do that in the four languages and know what he is saying. Children love to have their minds filled up. It just takes someone with time and knowledge. Imagine what a good effect it would have if small children were taught as many languages and watched scenes of other countries early on..before school.

I am like Enders Girl in watching things in a different time usually. Friends in Asia have usually seen dramas ahead of me and they are talking about them but I can't join in until a few months later. I still can converse if they talk about the actors and indeed we talk about dramas of the past and enjoy the discussions.

Enders Girl has a wonderful blog about jdoramas. Worth looking up her sometimes acidic summaries. Very funny and very erudite.

Late. Going back into my cave now....

emetib

Post by emetib » Dec 16th, '09, 12:09

For me, I just suffer from a chronic condition known as "forum lurkitis." It is common and so far they don't really know of a cure. However, I was feeling well enough though to create a profile to post to this thread, although I've been reading this forum for about two years now. I just love watching doramas myself. Somehow I got into them, and haven't been able to stop. =)

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Dec 16th, '09, 12:26

I think most ppl aren't visiting the forums recently just because most people are busy around this time with school and work, especially work preparing for the holidays

As for me... I don't write much on anything unless a drama is very very good or is very bad. So far nothing this last season or this season has been except maybe Liar Game season 2 being very good but I wont know until I watch it.. but I wont watch it until I download the last episode like I do with all my favorite dramas ><

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Dec 16th, '09, 23:35

I have posted comments and questions in threads for the dramas I am watching and I have also noticed that not many people respond. I just assume that most people are caught in their lives, school and the holidays.

Maybe the people that were heavy into dramas for the past two or three years have grown bored of them and we have to wait for a new crowd to discover them.

Who knows...

outcast_within

Post by outcast_within » Dec 17th, '09, 03:04

It's like some downwards cyclus.
Not many people react in threads within a time frame.
People who do post about shows who are watching get no response
They start posting less
back to 1.

We need some posting bomb which will have many people react.
so they will get responses
and start posting more. :)

pyxee

Post by pyxee » Dec 17th, '09, 03:57

I tend to lurk more than anything else. I spend massive amounts of time just reading and enjoying threads, but I almost never join in on a discussion.
The reasons why probably won't make sense to a lot of people. More often than not I feel like the regular posters here are a very tight knit group and it is almost impossible to break in and get anyone to reply to my posts. I have either replied to posts and been completely ignored in an active topic, or read threads where the conversation between two or three people goes on and on and any attempts by other to join in go unnoticed.
I don't think this is anything intentional, I see posters come and go so often that I just figure that I figure those that have been around a long time have sort of just stopped investing their time in replying to someone who most likely will never return to a thread.

As far as Americans hating subs I actually have to agree that there are indeed too many who hate them. In my circle of friends all but two or three refuse to even discuss a movie if it has them. They just tell me if it is good we will remake it. :pale:

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Dec 17th, '09, 04:41

Since I've been lurking for about five years now, there have been a lot of stuff that's been going on this site. Back then, there used to be lively discussions about dramas from many threads until they started to go off-topic because arguments would erupt or people would post pointless comments not related to the dramas.

Now, as for the reason I don't get into jdrama discussions is because there hasn't been many jdramas lately that really convince me to comment on and besides, I watch jdramas for my own enjoyment without having the need to discuss about it. The last thing I wouldn't want to do is upset the sensitive fangirls/fanboys that have to defend a drama because their favorite(s) are in it.

I do agree with most of the posters have said about the U.S, and subtitles for foreign movies and shows. I'm sure a lot of them just want to have their native language heard over foreign movies and shows instead of reading what is being said. However, I do get a kick out of the bad dubs that are used in those foreign movies and shows but I rather listen to the native language and read the subtitles just to learn words and phrases.

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Dec 17th, '09, 06:07

Example why people don't post...

I had a post halfway typed, a bunch of thoughtful and intelligent stuff i assure, but my mate turned up for a midnight scrabble showdown... beat me 381 to 344, got 62 points for "wattling"...

But seriously, i'm seeing a lot of people on this thread say stuff i've thought since i joined up here.

Like Peggy i've been told i'm off topic for discussing "similar stuff that's not japanese" (especially if its European or a book, for some reason, people think u being a snob, lol!)....

Like yt_toshi i have problems when fan-type-fans don't get that i'm dissing the writing of a character not the cutie-cupcake who's playing the role... or get annoyed if u lay into the plot or script on a structural level...

Like Enders' Girl i watch at my own pace... plus a lot of shows i watch with my daughter so i save 'em for the weekend when she's at my place, so even when i'm pretty up to date i can suffer killer spoilers.

Like pyxee i get the feeling that there are cliques and stuff i'm completely out the loop on - for some reason toku forums are more chilled than D-A (sorry!), and the discussion flow faster due to the nature of the shows.

And yeah, like MitsukaiKuroi says people move on, innit? Then to the old hands the next lot to arrive are all insufferable noobs....

Actually, i hope outcast realizes THIS is the most interesting thread in ages, for some reason. Usually i suffer lurkitis as well... i like the off-topicness and the fact i'm not the only long multi-paragraph rambler, lol (naming no names)....

PS, sorry bout the joke, and u all need to go watch Kodai Shoujo Dogu-chan!

TofuQueen

Post by TofuQueen » Dec 17th, '09, 08:21

I do mostly lurk rather than post, & I try to keep my ratio up & upload at least double what I download though that's not always possible, but...I have a ratio of 20-30 on a good dozen torrents right now...so I guess that ought to make up for the ones I can't get up to 2! (^_~)

My free time is limited, so I generally spend it watching dorama rather than haunting the forums, and I don't watch until the whole series is available subbed so I don't have much to say in the majority of the active topics.

I do occasionally hunt down the discussion topic when I finish watching a dorama, but usually reading through what others have written is enough & I don't feel any need to post myself (and honestly, finding the discussion topics among all the "episode release" topics can be a b***h so I have to be pretty motivated).

Just skimmed over the other responses & didn't see this, so apologies if I missed it - another reason folks in the US don't like subtitles is that a lot of Americans are not fast readers. Quite a few people, esp. young people, have trouble reading & making sense of the subs & still being able to watch the actual show/movie. (I do not mean to imply that they're stupid at all. There are tons of reasons for slow reading that have nothing to do with intelligence.) I've always been a fast reader (as are my parents, siblings, & children) but spending time with some of my kids' friends has made me realize that quick, effortless reading is not the norm for many US kids & adults. If it's hard to keep up, and they have to pause the show to read the subs, it's going to be a lot more work & less fun to watch so I can understand why some people aren't interested in subbed shows.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Dec 17th, '09, 08:45

Hmm.... I'm not posting much because I'm trying to rebuild a few computers and get some of the subbing projects I'm working on caught up.

Plus, I tend sometimes to be a lightning-rod for flame wars, as my well-established lack of tolerance for idiots and those who don't follow the site rules or rag on subbers tends to lend itsself to that.

I actually pop in a few times a day, but I'm a lot more selective in what I'm looking for or respond to. I used to download everything that was remotely interesting and have waaaaay too many dvd's of stuff stored away than I can ever reasonably watch, so I'm down to only 6 or 7 shows these days. As my background's been mostly in Kdramas (though ironically, only one of my current 3 projects is Korean) I don't spend much time in the Dorama threads.

Back to getting megui to work on Windows 7 so I can get the next upload of Natsuko No Sake uploaded......

nell123

Post by nell123 » Dec 17th, '09, 09:45

I've been around since 2007 and so far I have only approximately 50 post. And the majority of those are in the torrent section. That's mostly because I usually watch silly and funny dramas which don't provoke long and meaningful discussions. Even if I watch a more serious show I usually wait for subs and I don't always watch the episodes right after the subs are out. By the time I'm done other users have already said all there is to say and have moved on. There's no point in repeating what's been said before. If I see an interesting topic unrelated to dramas I post there too but that doesn't happen very often either.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 17th, '09, 10:10

This is somewhat off topic I suppose but I will go ahead anyway. It's about the latest drama 'IRIS' It is playing on TV here in California right now.
Now I like Byung Hun and have watched him in other dramas. I also think the rest of the cast is really fine. Well..not keen on the lead girl but that is incidental. The problem is that I looked forward to seeing this and it sounded a good story etc. I can't understand why I am not keen on this drama at all. I try to watch but have missed a few episodes and dont stay with the ones I start to watch.

It is full of action scenes which are more than interesting since they occur in various places outside a set in a studio. The scenery is also beautiful in Japan and in Europe.
There is just something that turns me off and I can't put my finger on it yet.

Maybe it is that Byung Hun is so bright and lively as the hero and he is so deceived by people he totally trusts. It's depressing and a bit 'expected' so that so far nothing is a surprise.

Is anyone else watching this and how do you feel about this drama.

Peggy

shuurei

Post by shuurei » Dec 18th, '09, 13:07

Well, I just don't want to go, "Kyaa!" or gush, or say whatever sentiments I have regarding the doramas I watch. I tried in the past, though. I guess, I just enjoy watching doramas on my own; I cry, laugh, loathe, and fall in love along with the characters, albeit silently. There.

darynrose

Post by darynrose » Dec 18th, '09, 13:50

Well, I'm here most of the time. At least 2-3 times a day but I'm mostly a lurker. Unless of coz if I need to post on my subbing but tht was mostly done with my group's acc.

I do agree there is a major decline of discussions over doramas lately. IMO and personally I think Jap dramas are getting less and less interesting. Take winter season 2010, not one of the dramas interest me and it is littered with JE boys drama which I usually avoid.

Nowadays I'm more interested with Kdramas and KMusic which I usually fangirl over in the other famous korean website. Equivalent to DA probably. And life has been hectic and I'm trying to catch up with my subbing backlogs but at the same time to actually live my life.

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Dec 18th, '09, 14:53

Mostly, I post for 2 reasons:
• to thank uploaders and subbers for their dedication.
• to ask questions about specific issues regarding plot or translation or music. Sometimes, I get answers, sometimes I am totally ignored.
Otherwise, I visit DA twelve times a day :D

nonenix

Post by nonenix » Dec 18th, '09, 15:23

Arrrg I'm busy like hell timing and subbing a dorma,
tomorrow i have a math exam
arrg and still i have to watch dorama WTF
i wonder how i will do in the exam better lear a bit ... arrg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Dec 18th, '09, 16:09

Peggy wrote: There is just something that turns me off and I can't put my finger on it yet.

Maybe it is that Byung Hun is so bright and lively as the hero and he is so deceived by people he totally trusts. It's depressing and a bit 'expected' so that so far nothing is a surprise.

Is anyone else watching this and how do you feel about this drama.

Peggy
Hi! I know what you mean, I tried to watch the first episode, and I was like: "Who, anyway, cares?". I know, there was a huge buzz around it, this drama overshadowed YAB (yup, I'm on this side) and its time slot, but I couldn't brace myself enough to watch entire episode. And, contrary to you, I'm not a big Lee Byun Hun fan, to be honest, he's not in my Top 20 list, so I didn't tried to watch because of him. I was more interested in the plot (seeing Shwiri I expected a lot). But in the end, the plot has been blown up like a huge balloon with all the set, cast, speed etc. It's distracting, I cannot identify with any of them, and when I do not care about the Dramatis Personae the movie is useless for me.

And I'm regular on this site.
Cheers to all!
But I think it's not the place to discuss IRIS, maybe we should move any hypothetical discussion someplace*_*

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 19th, '09, 08:51

I would point out that I am not a 'big fan of Lee Byung Hun'. I just like him...as opposed to disliking him. Indeed I am not a fanatic about any actor except for one who has my admiration for well over ten years.

Is it not possible to discuss a drama on this thread by the way...just asking. It would be interesting even if a slight change in the original question which was asked.

If not....Gomen and sayonara.

Peg

Thunder70

Post by Thunder70 » Dec 19th, '09, 09:12

where are the cantonese dramas section at?
i am new here and i have no clue where to look for.:)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Dec 19th, '09, 09:22

Well, this is japanese drama section, and we are chatting about Lee Byun Hun, kekeke :whistling:
Yes, I know, being a fan means something different, but I can even appreciate his way of acting (and I've seen few his movies), maybe that is why I was so indifferent towards IRIS.

Thunder70: Cantonese drama section: forum:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewforum_44.htm
dramas: in the search pannel scroll down "type" button, hit the cdrama. That's all.

Thunder70

Post by Thunder70 » Dec 19th, '09, 09:46

@ Ethlenn...thank you for your help.:)

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Dec 19th, '09, 09:54

Well I go some topics back (from IRIS etc. XD)

I just want to tell all those people who ignore and avoid JE boys dramas, then you might miss some really good ones! For example "Proposal Daisakusen" (starring Yamashita Tomohisa) has made it to my favorite drama! Also there are other really good JE boys dramas.

But the threads for JE boys dramas are filled with gyaaaing fangirls, so for your own safety it´s better not to go there O.o (I once did and I had a shock for the rest of the day).

As a person, who is interested in movie business, I always analyze the way movie/dorama is made. And the fact that "my favorite" stars in it, has really slight matter in my discussion (it matters only when I discuss the actors work). What matters mostly is the plot and the way it is filmed.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Dec 19th, '09, 11:14

I'm here around to help:)

outcast_within

Post by outcast_within » Dec 20th, '09, 01:50

JaJe wrote:Well I go some topics back (from IRIS etc. XD)

I just want to tell all those people who ignore and avoid JE boys dramas, then you might miss some really good ones! For example "Proposal Daisakusen" (starring Yamashita Tomohisa) has made it to my favorite drama! Also there are other really good JE boys dramas.

But the threads for JE boys dramas are filled with gyaaaing fangirls, so for your own safety it´s better not to go there O.o (I once did and I had a shock for the rest of the day).

As a person, who is interested in movie business, I always analyze the way movie/dorama is made. And the fact that "my favorite" stars in it, has really slight matter in my discussion (it matters only when I discuss the actors work). What matters mostly is the plot and the way it is filmed.
what is j.e? Is it something like pretty boys? Hana Kimi was a very funny one.
Nobute wa produce was also great. Only bad thing was the ending.
Nobody ends up with the girl instead they have a homosexual ending where both guys end up far far away playing together in the sea
:lol

I noticed a lot of people don't have avatars. Maybe it would give the j-dorama section a bit more flair if posters had a nice avatar.

edit: So i made another thread. If you want a new avatar or want to help other j-dorama lovers out, check it out. http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_80837.htm

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Dec 20th, '09, 03:38

Most of it's been said.... For the most part, I think people don't care.

I upload files that I record occasionally, but the only replies I get aside from the obligatory "thanks" are those of people being jerks. I guess there's a bit of an elitist attitude around the boards.

Some threads are fun to write in for certain periods of time, but, they tend to die away. Besides, this place has such a massive user base that it's hard to feel a sense of community.

I rarely DL since I've been in Japan forever... but, I do stop by for information and to chat when I find a rare drama that I enjoy.

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Dec 20th, '09, 19:07

what is j.e? Is it something like pretty boys? Hana Kimi was a very funny one.
Nobute wa produce was also great. Only bad thing was the ending.
Nobody ends up with the girl instead they have a homosexual ending where both guys end up far far away playing together in the sea
:lol

I noticed a lot of people don't have avatars. Maybe it would give the j-dorama section a bit more flair if posters had a nice avatar.

edit: So i made another thread. If you want a new avatar or want to help other j-dorama lovers out, check it out. http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_80837.htm[/quote]

JE as Johnny´s Entertainment also known as Johnny Boys or just Johnny´s ^o^
(XD I cried at the end of Nobuta wo Produce!!!)

I would like to have a great avatar, but I don´t know from where and what to choose XD

piston

Post by piston » Dec 24th, '09, 18:21

Most of the time , I am a lurker. But occasionally, I do post to help someone out or post a question/request.

And when the drama is very interesting to me, I would share some thoughts on it.

=> hikkichan,
I want to thank you for all the postings that you did. Without them, I would miss out a lot of stuff.