Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
xenosie

Post by xenosie » Dec 2nd, '09, 15:32

Hi everyone! This is my first post here 'cos I've just started watching j-drama.

I'm not sure what series I should watch next. I've just watched Hana Yori Dango (which was awesome!) and Hana Kimi. I also started Nobuta wo Produce but I didn't like it. It was in my opinion quite boring and depressing. I also gave up on Binbo Danshi, even though it has Oguri Shun acting in it!

I think I'm going to watch Zettai Kareshi next, but could you guys recommend me a j-drama anyway? I probably would like something with romance, a little drama and lots of comedy. School life could be cool. And boys love is also okay with me.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Dec 2nd, '09, 18:50

Stich wrote:i there , this is my firs post :) ok straight to the buisness 8) i ocasionally endulge myself with jdorama and recently watched Proposal Daisakusen and it stuck with me :wub: maybe someone know anything similar ? comedy/romance...the good stuff :D
welcome ^^
yah Proposal Daisakusen was a great drama, but make sure to watch the SP as it has an end for the story..
try My Boss My Hero & Nodame cantabile

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Dec 2nd, '09, 18:57

xenosie wrote:Hi everyone! This is my first post here 'cos I've just started watching j-drama.

I'm not sure what series I should watch next. I've just watched Hana Yori Dango (which was awesome!) and Hana Kimi. I also started Nobuta wo Produce but I didn't like it. It was in my opinion quite boring and depressing. I also gave up on Binbo Danshi, even though it has Oguri Shun acting in it!

I think I'm going to watch Zettai Kareshi next, but could you guys recommend me a j-drama anyway? I probably would like something with romance, a little drama and lots of comedy. School life could be cool. And boys love is also okay with me.
welcome ^^
hmm try My Boss My Hero & Nodame cantabile ( i think those two dramas suit everybody coz they contain so much fun plus amazing plots and cast )

ah also check this thread[Survey] Your Best J-dramas: Ranked! and check Malboro's post @page 53.. you will find a helpful list there..

Stich

Post by Stich » Dec 2nd, '09, 19:15

MisS Lonliah wrote:
Stich wrote:i there , this is my firs post :) ok straight to the buisness 8) i ocasionally endulge myself with jdorama and recently watched Proposal Daisakusen and it stuck with me :wub: maybe someone know anything similar ? comedy/romance...the good stuff :D
welcome ^^
yah Proposal Daisakusen was a great drama, but make sure to watch the SP as it has an end for the story..
try My Boss My Hero & Nodame cantabile
thanx :) i'v already sen nodame so i'll go with my bos my hero

xenosie

Post by xenosie » Dec 2nd, '09, 19:38

MisS Lonliah wrote:
xenosie wrote:Hi everyone! This is my first post here 'cos I've just started watching j-drama.

welcome ^^
hmm try My Boss My Hero & Nodame cantabile ( i think those two dramas suit everybody coz they contain so much fun plus amazing plots and cast )

ah also check this thread[Survey] Your Best J-dramas: Ranked! and check Malboro's post @page 53.. you will find a helpful list there..
Thanks for the help! ^^

wintersweet

Post by wintersweet » Dec 2nd, '09, 21:38

Thanks, ryoko11! I figured I was asking for a long-shot there. Those sound promisingly strange. :lol

Aiko_

Help meededabout ratings/dramas

Post by Aiko_ » Dec 3rd, '09, 18:40

Hello!
I'm writing a Bachelor's degree thesis about jdramas.
I wonder, if anybody can recommend me dramas, from the past 5 years, with very high watching ratings.
Where I can find very exact and faithful watching ratings?

I'd be thankful for help and advice!

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Dec 3rd, '09, 20:20

You may have to dig for the names of specific dramas, but many of the dramawiki entries have viewership info. Someplace to start anyway.

thaoc18

Post by thaoc18 » Dec 4th, '09, 06:28

noobee wrote:2nd house
Do you have a link where I can watch 2nd house? i wanna watch it but i can't find it online. ={

help me please! >.<

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Dec 4th, '09, 15:00

Aiko_

The Fansub wiki should make it easier. You can access it from the Fansub wiki link on the left side of the DA index pages. Then click on Jdrama Fansub Map. It lists dramas dating back to 2005.

Here's a shortcut:
http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Jdrama_Fansub_Map

From there you can click on whichever year you want. Click on the name of each show to go to its Dramawiki entry. Some just list the average viewership, and some will have a breakdown chart of viewers per episode. I think all of the ratings info is courtesy of Video Reasearch Ltd.: http://www.videor.co.jp/top.htm

Good luck on your thesis!

quincey

Post by quincey » Dec 6th, '09, 03:02

thanks for the guy that suggested Love Shuffle~
i enjoyed every episode of it...
its a different kind of drama and got a really good cast of characters on it.
i specially love AI-Ai's and Kairi's roles on it,, well Usa-tan's too~

im recommending this one as a "must-see"

.q

heat6jones

Post by heat6jones » Dec 6th, '09, 04:03

can anyone recommend some darker dramas? examples of what i mean would be dramas similar to

-zeni geba
-ashita no kita yoshio
-kiraware matsuko no issho
-warui yatsura
-cheap love

dramas about hateful people, suicidal people, or people who go through difficult times with an overal negative theme in the drama.

Sixcoins

Post by Sixcoins » Dec 6th, '09, 05:47

For a dark drama

Yako no Kaidan
Ikebukuro West Gate Park
Yasha
Antique
Last Friends
The Quiz Show 2

taylor

Post by taylor » Dec 6th, '09, 05:58

For romantic comedy, I suggest Hotaru no Hikari and for darker dramas, hatred and stuff perhaps Taiyo no Kisetsu.

chili01

Feel Good Comedy JDrama?

Post by chili01 » Dec 9th, '09, 04:19

Hi new here, sorry if this is the wrong section, but I'm looking for recommendations on Feel Good Comedy JDramas (or just something I can enjoy). Something like My Boss My Hero, Hanazakari no Kimitachi e, kekkon dekinai Otoko, Sexy Voice and Robo (love this one), and Brother Beat

Thanks

chrysanthemum

Post by chrysanthemum » Dec 9th, '09, 04:38

Yeah, I wish I could find something like Hanazakari no Kimitachi e too. I laughed so hard when I watched that. :tv:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Dec 9th, '09, 04:57

<< Nodame. :mrgreen:

chili01

Post by chili01 » Dec 9th, '09, 06:08

yeah, Nodame is pretty good, is the sequel in Europe good?

shinri

Post by shinri » Dec 9th, '09, 06:22

does it have to be japanese?
ummm there's Atashinchi no Danshi, Gokusen, Nobuta wo Produce, Yamada Tarou Monogatari, Himitsu no Hanazono, Mr. Brain (i have to admit i never finished it but what i saw was pretty funny), Tsubasa, Hotaru no Hikari, Oh! My! Girl!, Seigi no Mikata, Lunch Queen, Stand Up!
sorry if these aren't feel good comedies, but i think they were at least funny or good hehe
oh and one drama that's a bit older while not being funny but is wonderfully entertaining i think is Jotei. if you like Kato Rosa, or at least Kato Rosa slapping/being slapped by many people while reminding people she's a woman from the fire country then you'll enjoy it :D
kk i hope this was helpful and not horribly rambling :lol

J-Pooh

Post by J-Pooh » Dec 9th, '09, 06:49

I second the ones that have been recommended already (absolutely love Nodame Cantabile!), here are some of my own:

Mei-chan no Shitsuji
Ryusei no Kizuna (though the theme is not light-hearted, but a lot of the antics are real fun!)
Love Shuffle
Yamada Taro Monogatari
Zettai Kareshi
Kimi Hannin Janai yo, ne? (Kaname Jun is an absolute gem in this one!)
Yasuko to Kenji (gangster turned girl romance manga artist - how can that not be funny?)

^^

LaLaLaDRAMA

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Dec 9th, '09, 07:40

I'm watching Seigi no Mikata and Ohitorisama. They are both lighthearted comedy. I would recommend them.

trustbb

what jdrama is like shimokita glory and xenos?

Post by trustbb » Dec 9th, '09, 17:09

can anyone tell me other jdrama series like shimokita glory days or xenos? explicit content but good drama..please tell me ASAP..

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Dec 10th, '09, 07:35

Sixcoins wrote:For a dark drama

Yako no Kaidan
Ikebukuro West Gate Park
Yasha
Antique
Last Friends
The Quiz Show 2
eh? Antique, a dark drama? it's a comedy in my book though :scratch:

I'd like to add "Koukou kyoushi" original and 2003 to the list. oh and also "one million stars falling from the sky", "byakuyako" and "kareinaru ichizoku".

noshadow31

Re: Help meededabout ratings/dramas

Post by noshadow31 » Dec 10th, '09, 07:44

Aiko_ wrote:Hello!
I'm writing a Bachelor's degree thesis about jdramas.
I wonder, if anybody can recommend me dramas, from the past 5 years, with very high watching ratings.
Where I can find very exact and faithful watching ratings?

I'd be thankful for help and advice!
Try looking at the ratings by seasons starting from here
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Japanese_Dram ... utumn_2009
and go back 5 years.
but maybe there's other source with more comprehensive info in a single page that i dont know of :P
good luck in searching.

pandaranda

Post by pandaranda » Dec 12th, '09, 08:53

chili01 wrote:yeah, Nodame is pretty good, is the sequel in Europe good?
Nodame in Europe SP good? Heck yeah it's good! It's awesome like all Nodame related things are! :D The film is opening so soon O_O! Uwaaaaaaaaaaa~ I can't wait!

But right now I'm in major Nodame withdrawals! I just marathoned the entire drama series + SPs (I hadn't actually watched the drama, even though I loved the anime D: How silly of me...), and now I have an ever growing need for something to replace this gaping hole in my chest after the current ending! I physically and mentally cannot wait until the movie is out and subbed. T_T *fidgets*

So please, would any of you have any recommendations for amazing comedies (a touch of romance wouldn't hurt :D)?

What I've watched and enjoyed:
Nodame Cantabile
Hana Yori Dango
Kimi wa Petto (maybe...)
Liar Game
Stand Up!!
Ryuusei no Kizuna
Papa to Musume no Nanokakan
Maou
Love Shuffle
The Quiz Show (maybe...)
Smile
Bloody Monday
Shiroi Haru
Galileo
BOSS

I've also watched, and quite painfully so:
Nobuta wo Produce
Gokusen
Hana Kimi
Mei-chan no Shitsuji
Yamada Taro Monogatari

So please don't recommend anything like the immediate above, I'm sick of these teenage high-school dramas >< They're sooooo boring, repetitive, cliche... Something refreshing, entertaining and stimulating would be muchly appreciated. So that my brain cells don't feel like exploding with despair at the tedium and drivel of teenage high school angst ~

Thanks so much in advance! :D

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Dec 12th, '09, 14:49

pandaranda wrote:
chili01 wrote:yeah, Nodame is pretty good, is the sequel in Europe good?
Nodame in Europe SP good? Heck yeah it's good! It's awesome like all Nodame related things are! :D The film is opening so soon O_O! Uwaaaaaaaaaaa~ I can't wait!

But right now I'm in major Nodame withdrawals! I just marathoned the entire drama series + SPs (I hadn't actually watched the drama, even though I loved the anime D: How silly of me...), and now I have an ever growing need for something to replace this gaping hole in my chest after the current ending! I physically and mentally cannot wait until the movie is out and subbed. T_T *fidgets*

So please, would any of you have any recommendations for amazing comedies (a touch of romance wouldn't hurt :D)?

What I've watched and enjoyed:
Nodame Cantabile
Hana Yori Dango
Kimi wa Petto (maybe...)
Liar Game
Stand Up!!
Ryuusei no Kizuna
Papa to Musume no Nanokakan
Maou
Love Shuffle
The Quiz Show (maybe...)
Smile
Bloody Monday
Shiroi Haru
Galileo
BOSS

I've also watched, and quite painfully so:
Nobuta wo Produce
Gokusen
Hana Kimi
Mei-chan no Shitsuji
Yamada Taro Monogatari

So please don't recommend anything like the immediate above, I'm sick of these teenage high-school dramas >< They're sooooo boring, repetitive, cliche... Something refreshing, entertaining and stimulating would be muchly appreciated. So that my brain cells don't feel like exploding with despair at the tedium and drivel of teenage high school angst ~

Thanks so much in advance! :D
Manhattan Love Story - Very funny comedy with a touch of romance set in a coffee shop outside a tv studio where the customer's lives get amazingly intertwined. No highschool stories at all.

Long Vacation - very romantic story with comedy and terrific cast... also revolves around a pianist in his mid twenties.

Tiger and Dragon - debt collector decides he wants to do rakugo (traditional Japanese storytelling). A little romance and some very funny rakugo tales which weave into the plot of each episode.

Utahime - a bit more serious, but lots of funny parts too. Story of an amnesiac man taken into the hearts of a small town and finding a new life in 1950's Japan. Also deals with the present.

Shika Otoko Awoniyoshi - stars Tamaki Hiroshi as a "loser" teacher who gets tangled up with trying to save all of Japan from a disaster tied to Japanese mythology. He's guided by a talking deer. Mixes mythology, history and fiction in very interesting ways... starts a little slow for some with lots of information that becomes important later. It's set in a highschool, but it's not a "highschool" comedy like what you've seen.

Hotaru no Hikari - woman who has given up on love falls for a younger man in her office... and then she ends up having to share a house with her stodgy, yet hot, boss.

Yama Onna Kabe Onna - as long as you don't mind boob jokes... It's about a handbag seller named Megumi in a major department store, who deals with her personal insecurities while developing a friendship with a woman named Maria who initially treads directly on Megumi's biggest insecurity. At the same time Megumi's looking to find someone to marry, and her potential suitors are pretty funny.

Stich

Post by Stich » Dec 12th, '09, 16:20

to pandaranda

also Hero - just finished watching it , not your everyday dorama, it was something new (at least for me), entertaining, funny and interesting, with nice characters.
Link ==> http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Hero

chili01

Post by chili01 » Dec 13th, '09, 09:45

thanks for all the recommendations, no it does not have to be japanese

Chrono

Re: Christmas JDramas

Post by Chrono » Dec 13th, '09, 15:22

Chrono wrote:Hello guys!

I was sitting at my computer, looking for a new drama to watch, and I suddenly asked myself: Christmas is really near already, what about a Jdrama about Christmas or something like that? :-)

Last year I watched Last Christmas and Waraeru Koi wa Shitakunai (they're pretty good, by the way), but what about this year?

Someone knows a Jdrama like that? A Jdrama that is about, talks about, involves, is related with (even a little bit) Christmas?

I'm looking forward your suggestions. :w00t: Thanks a lot!
Please, anyone else has another suggestion??
I'm looking forward for your suggestions :-)

YIXUANNNNN

Post by YIXUANNNNN » Dec 13th, '09, 16:37

Drama
Mei-chan no Shitsuji
Gokusen 1,2,3
Atashinchi no Danshi
Real Clothes
Jin
Ohitorisama
Gyne
Buzzer Beat
Mr Brain
Code blue
Nobuta Wo Produce
Hana Kimi
Hana Yori Dango
My Girl
Koshonin
Saru Lock
Tokyo Dogs
Liar Game 1 & 2
1 Litre of tears
Nodame Cantabile
Zettai Kareshi ( the male lead is hot :lol )
Yukan Club

Movies
Dear Friend
Lovely Complex
Hotaru no Haka ( Graves of the fireflies )

and the list goes on and on.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Dec 13th, '09, 16:59

Chrono wrote:
Someone knows a Jdrama like that? A Jdrama that is about, talks about, involves, is related with (even a little bit) Christmas?
You know, I think this might actually be a deceptively challenging request... Probably because Xmas has the same significance as Valentines Day in Japan (Can't think of a whole lot of dramas around that holiday either)... Christmas is generally a commercial holiday for couples (mainly) as opposed to the full blown family affairs in the West. People still go to work and school, and about the only thing different for most families is the presence of Kentucky Fried Chicken at the dinner table. ^_^;;;

Anyways, here are a couple more (not all subbed):
Byakuyakou (err... probably not really what you want for if you're looking for something Christmas-y, but... yeah... you could say the season is significant and "gifts" were exchanged)
Xmas Nante Dai Kirai
29 sai no Christmas
Antique (I think I remember a Santa Suit someplace? Maybe it's just my imagination?)

There might be a few more where Christmas is mentioned, but I don't remember that level of detail....

MasterOfPuppets

Horror Dramas?

Post by MasterOfPuppets » Dec 13th, '09, 23:44

What are some good horror dramas? I've already seen Ring: The Final Chapter and Spiral. I'm currently watching Missed Call.

heat6jones

Post by heat6jones » Dec 14th, '09, 03:37

Yako no Kaidan
Ikebukuro West Gate Park
Yasha
Antique
Last Friends
The Quiz Show 2
Thanks for the recommendations. At the time I read this I had already seen 'IWGP' and 'Last Friends'. Of the others, I chose to download 'Yasha' and was not disappointed. Was wanting to see 'Antique' but there aren't any seeds.

heat6jones

Post by heat6jones » Dec 14th, '09, 03:39

noshadow31 wrote:

Yako no Kaidan
Ikebukuro West Gate Park
Yasha
Antique
Last Friends
The Quiz Show 2
eh? Antique, a dark drama? it's a comedy in my book though :scratch:

I'd like to add "Koukou kyoushi" original and 2003 to the list. oh and also "one million stars falling from the sky", "byakuyako" and "kareinaru ichizoku".
I've seen Byakuyako and loved it! Will try the others when I have time. Thanks!

nomnomnom

Post by nomnomnom » Dec 14th, '09, 21:36

Can anyone recommend a mystery/thriller/cop show dealing with one united mystery (so no murder of the week)? I'm listening to Triangle and like the concept although the execution is not perfect and would enjoy looking at other shows like that. I've barely watched any dramas so if the genre is popular I assume I have many options to explore.

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Dec 14th, '09, 21:59

Maybe the thriller bloody monday or the social drama Watashitachi no Kyokasho.

nomnomnom

Post by nomnomnom » Dec 14th, '09, 23:09

k361 wrote:Maybe the thriller bloody monday or the social drama Watashitachi no Kyokasho.
Thanks, the first one looks a little bit too "pretty teen boy super-genius saves the world without messing up his brushing" but the second one sounds really interesting. I forgot to mention that, if possible, the series should star adults playing adults.

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Dec 15th, '09, 00:06

Watashitachi no Kyokasho is at a school, but the main characters are teacher and lawyers. There are some twists in the story and most of the time it is unclear what really happend.

Maybe you like a funny story with little mistery Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi?
A Million Stars Falling from the Sky starts like a crime/suspense and end in a tragedy.

I must finish Zeni Geba. It have a good story yet. I think it can be recommended.

pandaranda

Post by pandaranda » Dec 15th, '09, 01:05

Shika Otoko Awoniyoshi - stars Tamaki Hiroshi as a "loser" teacher who gets tangled up with trying to save all of Japan from a disaster tied to Japanese mythology. He's guided by a talking deer. Mixes mythology, history and fiction in very interesting ways... starts a little slow for some with lots of information that becomes important later. It's set in a highschool, but it's not a "highschool" comedy like what you've seen.

to pandaranda

also Hero - just finished watching it , not your everyday dorama, it was something new (at least for me), entertaining, funny and interesting, with nice characters.
Link ==> http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Hero
Thank you ryoko11 and Stich! I've heard all of them, but now I'm keen to try some of them out :D Especially the deer man one with Hiroshi Tamaki in it. ^^[/quote]

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Dec 15th, '09, 02:30

nomnomnom wrote:Can anyone recommend a mystery/thriller/cop show dealing with one united mystery (so no murder of the week)? I'm listening to Triangle and like the concept although the execution is not perfect and would enjoy looking at other shows like that. I've barely watched any dramas so if the genre is popular I assume I have many options to explore.
Gonzo-Densetsu no Keiji

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Dec 15th, '09, 04:45

nomnomnom wrote: Thanks, the first one looks a little bit too "pretty teen boy super-genius saves the world without messing up his brushing" but the second one sounds really interesting. I forgot to mention that, if possible, the series should star adults playing adults.
There really are a lot of these types stories....
Other series to check out:
Ashita no Kita Yoshio
Suna no Utsuwa
Koori no Sekai / Ice World
Byakuyakou
A Sleeping Forest
Ame to Yume to Ato ni and Teru Teru Ashita sort of fit the bill as well, but they aren't really "thriller" types...

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Dec 15th, '09, 06:31

Another one: if you don't mind watching an SP, Koori no Hana. It's 2 parts.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Dec 15th, '09, 20:35

Chrono wrote:

I was sitting at my computer, looking for a new drama to watch, and I suddenly asked myself: Christmas is really near already, what about a Jdrama about Christmas or something like that? :-)

Last year I watched Last Christmas and Waraeru Koi wa Shitakunai (they're pretty good, by the way), but what about this year?

I'm looking forward your suggestions. :w00t: Thanks a lot!

The next to the last episode of Manhattan Love Story is all about Christmas and a party. And the final episode is set at New Years. So that's good for the holidays. Other than that all I can think of that mentions Christmas is the movie Parasite Eve, but it's not used in a festive way. :unsure:

@nomnomnom

I second Gonzo Densetsu no Keiji and Ashita no Kita Yoshio.

I'd also add

Maou - Twisted story of the relationship between a serial killer and a specific cop.

Yasha - Thriller about a pair of genetically enhanced twins and a killer virus.

heat6jones

Post by heat6jones » Dec 15th, '09, 20:43

Plenty of Fall dramas usually mention christmas on the last episodes. 'Cheap Love' and 'Dream Again' come to mind.

wainee

addicted :D

Post by wainee » Dec 17th, '09, 02:13

guys. i would like to ask for suggestions of some jd that are teens/romantic/high school/comedy. any combination. :-)

i would sincerely appreciate it :thumright:
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (127.71 KiB) Viewed 5283 times

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Dec 17th, '09, 07:03

I like that kind of stuff too so I have some to recommend.

1. Stand up!
2. tatta hitotsu no koi
3. Hana yori dango 1,2 and SP <- definetely one of the best.
4. Proposal Daisakusen
5. Mei-chan no Shitsuji <- it didn't get to me that much but isn't bad too

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Dec 17th, '09, 09:30

i recommend tatta hitsu no koi or akai ito for teen/romance and comedy like Hana Kimi, Nobuta wo produce, ..

From running series watch Otomen or Samurai highschool.

wainee

Post by wainee » Dec 17th, '09, 13:47

:O coooool. :D
thanks guys. i'll look for them, and add them on my list :D :heart: :heart:
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (127.71 KiB) Viewed 5385 times

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Dec 18th, '09, 04:13

Ok... I have watched quite a few jdrama's up until now and this is my own personal opinion on some of them.

Nobuta Wo Produce - I didnt care for Horikita in this drama.. I managed to watch the whole thing but not in one sitting. It was hard to watch much of it at one time... Irritating at times. I didnt care for it.

Nodame Cantabile & SP Eps - Fantastic humor and believable romantic moments. Love hate tension and chemistry was wonderful. Music and plot superb. Watched it twice or thrice so far :)

Akai Ito - My first jdrama and was very good.

Long Vacation - Took a few episodes to get into it but it was a nice drama to watch. I am glad that I stuck it out because it made alot of sense and seemed so real at times. I enjoyed it!

Zettai Kareshi - Good so far...I think I am really going to like this one...it helps that the male actors are hot :)

Proposal Daisakusen - No... forced myself to watch 2-3 episodes and just couldn't go any further...Hallelujuah CHANCE! *sigh*

Hana Kimi - Horikita's role again was just too Irritating for me to watch. I did manage to watch the whole thing fast forwarding some. There were funny dorm hall battle scenes. Some instances reminded me of Coffee Prince kdrama...

Mei-chan no Shitsuji - This drama was short and sweet! I loved it.

Hotaru no Hikari - Nice plot and all actors/actresses fit their characters well. It was ok.

Taiyo no Uta - I really liked this one. This drama was very good. Not too long to watch either.

Anego - This was surprisingly good. I did take a few episodes to get into it but it was worth the wait.

Orange Days - Stopped after 3rd episode. I couldn't get into it. Was boring to me.

Tokyo Wankei - I watched this drama without fast forwarding. It was excellent from beginning until the end. Beautiful love story and hardships experienced by the couple in love. Money, social class, nationality, allegiance, love...WONDERFUL drama! Definitely one of my most favorite jdrama's.

Kimi wa Pet (petto) - I loved this drama! Nice kissing scenes too! Very passionate and fun! Will watch it again! One of my most favorite jdrama's.

I have to say that I do enjoy watching jdrama's although I don't see as much passion and romance as in kdrama's...still they are good to watch and lots of nice looking male actors!

mokudekiru

Post by mokudekiru » Dec 22nd, '09, 03:05

So recently I got a new boyfriend... he's pretty much a jdrama virgin. I'd like to share my love for jdramas with him, but what would be something good to watch together? I normally watch raws (Japanese speaker here) but I'd be willing to find subbed versions to watch with him. So far he's been around while I saw one episode of Buzzer Beat (which he seemed kinda bored with... but it was a particularly slow episode) and 1 Litre of Tears (he seemed relatively intrigued with this one).

The list of jdrama I've seen so far is here: http://mokudekiru.com/jdrama/

So I'd prefer to see something I haven't seen yet, that would still be a good intro to jdrama and might be enjoyable for both of us. I look forward to all of your suggestions!! :mrgreen:

ayaseharukaftw

Post by ayaseharukaftw » Dec 22nd, '09, 03:38

mokudekiru wrote:So recently I got a new boyfriend... he's pretty much a jdrama virgin. I'd like to share my love for jdramas with him, but what would be something good to watch together? I normally watch raws (Japanese speaker here) but I'd be willing to find subbed versions to watch with him. So far he's been around while I saw one episode of Buzzer Beat (which he seemed kinda bored with... but it was a particularly slow episode) and 1 Litre of Tears (he seemed relatively intrigued with this one).

The list of jdrama I've seen so far is here: http://mokudekiru.com/jdrama/

So I'd prefer to see something I haven't seen yet, that would still be a good intro to jdrama and might be enjoyable for both of us. I look forward to all of your suggestions!! :mrgreen:
Long Vacation and Love Generation!

Darianasi

YAOI AND YURI J-DRAMAS- New releases

Post by Darianasi » Dec 23rd, '09, 16:34

Anyone knows good Yaoi and Yuri dramas on tv right now? I was wondering if I am the only one who likes em so much :lol

The last ones I watched were

Last Friends
Mendol! Ikemen Idol

and I loved em :D

Can I please have some suggestions? ^^

Thank you!
Haruka

tremault

what series do you recommend?

Post by tremault » Dec 24th, '09, 05:09

Hi, hope i'm not bugging too much asking this!

I really enjoy atashinchi no danshi, binbo danshi and mei-chan no shitsuji.

I was wondering if you experts would be able to recommend similar series?

thank you in advance.

Jin Kazuki

Post by Jin Kazuki » Dec 24th, '09, 06:08

From the list of comedy you might like Tokyo DOGs. It's a police drama but also a bit of a comedy. The main butler from Mei-chan is a main character in this one as well. Also Zettai Kareshi is a comedy about a girl getting a robot boyfriend. I really like The Quiz Show for something a bit deeper. Bloody Monday is good for people who like 24.

reinneguhn

Post by reinneguhn » Dec 24th, '09, 06:52

One of the drama that i like and recommend is Ohitorisama. Its a romantic comedy between a perfectionist female teacher with a new temporary instructor. You might also want to check on Samurai High School, kinda interesting.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Dec 24th, '09, 07:43

Wrong forum to be asking this question, huh?

tremault

Post by tremault » Dec 24th, '09, 16:33

OH! that's wierd, I don't remember clicking on actors and actresses...
how did that happen?

ok please somebody move it to the right place if you can, thank you :D

thanks for your recommendations guys, I'll have a look at teh ones you mentioned that i haven't already.

I did look at tokyo dogs and felt it was quite "hard hitting" in some way. so it is good, but i think i'll watch another time.

zattai kareshi sounds cool. I liked chobits and that seems similar.

i've heard a lot about samurai hiugh school actually, I should definitely give that a look.
ohitorisan sounds very sweet, wow I got a lot to take a look at! thank you so much :)

leemex17

Suggestion for Japanese Romantic Comedy Movie/Series

Post by leemex17 » Dec 29th, '09, 04:14

Hallo everyone!

I was having my days-off from work and I kinda got bored.. :-(
I was looking for some good romantic/comedy Japanese movie or series..

Im done watching the following:

Hana Yori Dango I and II
Hana Kmi (JP version)
Hanayome to Papa
Tantei Gakuen Q
Nodame Cantabile (L.A. + SP)
My Boss My Hero

I was looking for some series/movie that is comedy yet has a twist of romance..:wub: it could be horror as well and if it has glimpse of high school life that would be great..

Hope you can help me everyone :w00t:

asprikitik

Post by asprikitik » Dec 29th, '09, 04:42

I liked Last Christmas (fits the season :) ) and Absolute Boyfriend was not bad.

edit--
as for movie.. I don't think there's much ROM-COM in Japanese movies.. the only thing that comes to mind was Love Complex (it was pretty enjoyable)
Last edited by asprikitik on Dec 29th, '09, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.

klon22

Post by klon22 » Dec 29th, '09, 04:45

I really loved Friends 2002 (Veryromantic :cry:)
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Friends_2002

If you like anime and otaku world you can try densha otoko (Very funny :cheers: )
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Densha_Otoko

And dont forget watch GTO=Great teacher Onisuka (Funny Funny)
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Great_Teacher_Onizuka

Otomen its also recommend (Funny)
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Otomen

Enjoy!

koyuki-chan

Post by koyuki-chan » Dec 29th, '09, 05:55

Go for Atashinchi no Danshi - it has a lot of funny scene and also good story. Ikemens for bonus too.. :P :cheers:

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Dec 29th, '09, 06:48

Stand up!
Hana yori dango (both seasons and film)

You can laugh all the way through Stand up so I`d definately recommend that one.

Kathstandsalone

Post by Kathstandsalone » Dec 29th, '09, 07:54

Neliets wrote:Stand up!
Hana yori dango (both seasons and film)

You can laugh all the way through Stand up so I`d definately recommend that one.
I think the thread starter said he had already watched Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2.

My suggestion is "Orange Days" for you. :)

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Dec 29th, '09, 09:06

Yes, Orange days is good romance, like tatta hitotsu no koi.

I think you will like One pound gospel or Hotaru no Hikari

If you a little older then Kekkon Dekinai otoko could be something for you.

Milly

Post by Milly » Dec 29th, '09, 10:51

I'd suggest 'Manhattan Love Story'. It's hilarious!! :D

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Dec 29th, '09, 11:49

Stand up!! is a really funny story as Neliets already said.

But as it is a Christmas time still (to me it´s until the Year´s End comes ^o^), then I suggest you "Waraeru koi wa shitekunai" :wub: (Don´t want a laughable love) - it´s full of love-seeking and some funny parts - even tough it in some points it is sad, but mostly it´s really really sweet ^o^ (I watched it just yesterday)

SithSylar

Post by SithSylar » Dec 30th, '09, 06:33

Really need some help here. Does anyone know a really good sad j drama that came out in 2009??? I have seen most of the good sad j dramas. Any help would be awesome....

xploring

Post by xploring » Dec 30th, '09, 12:54

Aishiteru? Shiroi Haru? Would help to say what you have seen.

hazelkenro
Location: Mocomichi Hayami,Teppei Koike and Wentz Eiji Paradise

Post by hazelkenro » Dec 30th, '09, 13:00

HERES my SOme LIST...

NOdame CAntabile
Smile
ZEttai KAreshi
Dragon Zakura
Gokusen 1 2 3
IRYU 1&2
Tokyo Tower
OH my GIrl
GIra Gira
Kira Kira Kenshui

boxxx

Re: what series do you recommend?

Post by boxxx » Dec 31st, '09, 01:23

tremault wrote: I really enjoy atashinchi no danshi, binbo danshi and mei-chan no shitsuji.
I can't call myself an expert or anything (haven't seen bimbo danshi or atashinchi no danshi) but if you like mei-chan no shitsuji you could try

my boss my hero,
otomen (it's still being subtitled though so you might have a wait),
hanazakari no kimitachi e (Rihito from mei-chan is in this drama and it's super funny most of the time),
gokusen 1,2,3 (there's a movie too but I'm not sure if it's uploaded or subtitled),
Hana yori dango 1,2 are suuuuuuuper popular...
there's one who's name escapes me atm...something monogatari about a really poor boy who's going to a prestigious school and everyone thinks he's super rich even though he's not trying to hide the fact that he's poor.
densha Otoko is great
my favourite is akihabara@deep but I doubt if anyone is seeding it and it's not really a romance at all.
Hotaru no hikari is cute.
Himitsu no hanazono is also very good
zettai kareshi is great, as someone said before.

There's probably more I just can't think of them off the top of my head. Hope that helped!

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Dec 31st, '09, 02:09

I really enjoyed watching Aishiteiru To Itte Kure. Although its an oldie (1995) it was a very good balance of romance and real life situations. I am glad I watched it since I have already seen most of the newer stuff.

leemex17

Post by leemex17 » Dec 31st, '09, 20:25

I just finished watching Atashinchi No Danshi and I can say two thumbs up! I look forward in watching more of series like this ^^

naddia89

Post by naddia89 » Dec 31st, '09, 21:19

i suggest u to watch MEI-CHAN NO SHITSUJI ...

it is very interesting drama after all..
a story about a buttler n his lady..its background is at high school..it is a comedy n romance
drama..watch it..n it is not a waste to wait until its final episode...it is japanese drama..enjoy watching.. :D

koyuki-chan

Re: what series do you recommend?

Post by koyuki-chan » Jan 1st, '10, 16:14

boxxx wrote:
there's one who's name escapes me atm...something monogatari about a really poor boy who's going to a prestigious school and everyone thinks he's super rich even though he's not trying to hide the fact that he's poor.
it's yamada taro monogatari.. featuring nino and sho from arashi.. quite enjoyable

Pinoy04

Post by Pinoy04 » Jan 2nd, '10, 05:20

Orange Days - I understood it, turned out really good.
Mr. Brain - Awesome Mystery/Cop/Crime and Comedy
God Hand Taru - Good drama reminded me to watch Code Blue again lol.
Binbo Dashi - funny and a sad but good drama, made me had tears in a few scenes..
1 Liter of Tears - its a sad drama but a must see.
Summer Snow - a must watch tear jerker.
ROMES - Although it just started it seems interesting to watch.
Majo Saiben - Pretty good drama! too bad I didn't get to finish all the downloads @__@ no direct downloads.

I have more but these are good enough to list...Also, I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good drama along the lines like Binbo, Orange Days, Mr. Brain lol something to relate to.

I wish some of the torrents had more seeders >_<