DramaWiki and streaming drama - Cast your vote!

Data, images, links, competition and er other stuff are here.
Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

DramaWiki and streaming drama - Cast your vote!

Post by Ruroshin » Jan 29th, '10, 06:21

Not too long ago Dramafever asked us about embedding streaming drama on the wiki and now Crunchyroll has contacted us to ask the same thing.

I know streaming drama is a bit of a hot issue with the fansubbers here so I'll let the community decide. Please post whether you think allowing embedding streaming drama on the wiki is a good or bad idea and why.

thanks.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jan 29th, '10, 06:46

I assume you are speaking of raw streams and their licensed content, so I don't see why any fansubber would care.

However, what concerns me is that it sounds like clutter to the wiki. I always felt that the wiki was supposed to be like an encyclopedia of drama information, not the source of shows. Plus, not every show would have streams so DA would be the one flooded with questions and requests for shows to be added. Then there is the fact that it sort of contradicts what DA is. Torrents and streaming in the same place just sounds like something that would make the seeding suffer more than it already is.

Basically, I don't see how this would benefit DA unless they plan to pay you nicely for the space. It seems like the streaming sites shameless attempt to advertise themselves and lure more memberships from the one place they know there are thousands of potential customers.

citrone

Post by citrone » Feb 4th, '10, 03:01

Agree with Puppet Princess.

Regardless of whether fansubbers are against streaming issue or not, I don't DA is the place for streaming.

Also, there are other issues like whether we are talking about merging
RAWs with subs here or we are asked for a distributed fansubbing environment
like vikii or so?

Depending on the context, we may discuss but it comes to a point where we should
ask ourselves: why do these(or some better to say) fansubbing groups do not permit their subs to be used by streaming sites? Doing similar stuff under DA may change what???

I'm a fansubber myself but I also enjoy dramafever and appreciate their method.
Also many fansubbers actually support dramafever but not vikii!!! There is a lot to discuss here but I will repeat myself.

DA is not the place for streaming....

ecco27

Post by ecco27 » Feb 4th, '10, 03:18

I agree with what the others have said. Even completely ignoring all the issues that many people have with streaming sites I feel like having embedded videos on wiki pages would really clutter up the site. Sometimes embedded videos make my computer run slow and I'm sure I'm not the only one with that problem. I think it would make it look kind of trashy too... maybe that's a bit strong of a word to use but I think the wiki should be for information and not for watching. Maybe if you had to you could just allow text links to the streaming sites?

ikki_72

Post by ikki_72 » Feb 4th, '10, 03:32

if it is not too much work, i can't see why not but it'll sure took a lot of space and resources (bandwidth = $$) in terms of hosting

mynusdono

Post by mynusdono » Feb 4th, '10, 04:10

If there is going to be streaming without the consent of the fansub groups anyway, then actually having the community come together to make it organized and in our control would be ideal. The fansub groups come to DA because of trust. Build off that and take the right approach and put the streaming sites to shame with it done right. with the community and fansubs together it can definetly go to the next level in terms of quality and ease of access while keeping everyone happy. I personally love downlading my drama to watch on my tv but im sure not everyone has 2TB's of space to host files lol.
Great Idea i feel.

richiy1

Post by richiy1 » Feb 4th, '10, 04:41

I think that this is a bad idea. The wiki should be for information. The streaming sites just want to link thier sites so that in the end they came make a profit and steal all the hard work of the fansubs. why open pandora's box???

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Feb 4th, '10, 05:20

Actually a question that hasn't been answered yet is: Do legal copyright holders of dramas have the right to stream fansubbers' subtitles without their permission?

Obviously fansubbing is 'illegal' but most aren't out there to make profit, so it seemed like the networks have been turning a blind eye (until now).

Fansubs create content from 'illegally' obtained sources. Who owns this content?

Naturally if the networks are going to stream their own subtitles, then it really doesn't matter...

Lastly, if you really want to see an example of how a wiki is no longer a 'wiki', just check out the overbearing Comments section here: http://asianmediawiki.com/Boys_Over_Flo ... ea-KBS2%29

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Feb 4th, '10, 05:39

Duuuuuude... the data is like ".." big and the comments take up "............................................................................................................................................................................................"
That seems poorly thought out...

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Feb 4th, '10, 06:13

Puppet Princess wrote:Duuuuuude... the data is like ".." big and the comments take up "............................................................................................................................................................................................"
Not all of that wiki is like that. The Boys Over Flowers article is a bad example because people tend to get realy passionate about that crap.

Anyways, I am opposed to adding videos to DramaWiki because it's an info site. Not a video site. Look at how badly cluttered jdorama.com has gotten since they added youtube vids to their site. Wasn't a particularly organized site in the first place, either.

Tsunku

Post by Tsunku » Feb 4th, '10, 07:26

AkumaX wrote:Actually a question that hasn't been answered yet is: Do legal copyright holders of dramas have the right to stream fansubbers' subtitles without their permission?
work derived from an unlicensed property reverts to the original owner of the property.
if you want to secure copyrights for your subtitle work, you have to have a real license to do the subtitles.

Tsunku

Post by Tsunku » Feb 4th, '10, 07:27

SusieQ wrote:
Puppet Princess wrote:Duuuuuude... the data is like ".." big and the comments take up "............................................................................................................................................................................................"
Not all of that wiki is like that. The Boys Over Flowers article is a bad example because people tend to get realy passionate about that crap.

Anyways, I am opposed to adding videos to DramaWiki because it's an info site. Not a video site. Look at how badly cluttered jdorama.com has gotten since they added youtube vids to their site. Wasn't a particularly organized site in the first place, either.
yea video is blah and will slow down the site more so than it is now.
only thing i have ever thought would be neat is pics of the characters by thier names/actor names but not really necessary.

exiledstar

Post by exiledstar » Feb 4th, '10, 09:42

no, please. maybe just a link to the preview/trailer, but that's it.

xploring

Post by xploring » Feb 4th, '10, 12:43

It's fine the way it is now, I think. Streaming video is easy to find with google.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Feb 4th, '10, 13:13

I think it is fine the way it is too without streaming but on another note about wiki, it would be nice to be able to list dramas by genre as well instead of just ABC order or by actor/actress.

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Feb 4th, '10, 20:32

I like the d-a wiki without embedded streaming.
A link to an trailersite, ok. In my opinion is the wiki for information, not for watching drama.

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » Feb 4th, '10, 20:47

I really hate embedded streaming after JPopsuki allowed it in their forums, and I don't want to see it on any wiki.

Deemz

Post by Deemz » Feb 4th, '10, 21:52

I agree with those who opposed adding videos to the wiki
I can't imagine watching the dramawiki like this one for Boys Over Flower !!!

hitomi83

Post by hitomi83 » Feb 4th, '10, 22:24

I don't think embedding videos it's a necessary thing for the wiki. Like Puppet Princess said, the wiki it's a place where you can find information, it's not the source of the episodes.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Feb 4th, '10, 22:29

I vote no. As others have said I think DramaWiki is best as an informative website.

Gir

Post by Gir » Feb 4th, '10, 22:35

I'd say no too, if any linking would be done, I would say to give links to relevant postings here on D addicts.

Tsunku

Post by Tsunku » Feb 5th, '10, 00:42

kuro570 wrote:I think it is fine the way it is too without streaming but on another note about wiki, it would be nice to be able to list dramas by genre as well instead of just ABC order or by actor/actress.
heh and to include ALL genres! so dramas like koudai shoujo dogu-chan get listed!

i forget the genre name for it or i would have used that.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Feb 5th, '10, 11:37

Going throught the responses it looks like majority voted for No so I will reject the proposal.

FYI though I believe dramafever paid for the kdrama licenses (for north america only I believe) and also paid for their translator so it appears to be 100% legal. Not too sure about crunchyroll.

Regardless though, I'll go with the community and keep the wiki as is.

janettd

Post by janettd » Feb 5th, '10, 12:12

kuro570 and Tsunku Why ask for something that is already there??
You can google wiki for wuxia, human drama and renzoku f.ex and get all that is listed under GENRE for all the dramas. Problem!! you get tons of pages.

I am against it. Not only because it would clutter and slow down wiki, but also as dramafever only have
lisence to send to North Amerika and wiki should be equal to the whole globe.
Everybody else will be blocket to access that site.