RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE KDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
harloxx

Recommended Korean Dramas!

Post by harloxx » Jan 16th, '10, 14:26

You Are Beautiful, Full House, Boy over flowers,My Girl, Witch Yoo Hee [dunno if it is spell wrong].

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Feb 3rd, '10, 06:10

As always, I`m asking for teen(it could be early, early 20`s) drama suggestions. Can anyone recommend some? I`m searching through jdramas too. Pretty desperately want one.

Thanks.

Hazel Eyes

Post by Hazel Eyes » Feb 6th, '10, 05:09

Hi there ..

Could you please recommend some dramas where the male character is tough and acting hard to get .. for ex. the male character in these dramas: BOF, You're Beautiful, Green Rose, I'm Sorry I love you, A love to Kill .. especially "LOVERS" male charater

and would please recommend dramas with twisted stories like: Temptation of ana angel, Cain and Abel, Green Rose, Women in the Sun ..

and a commedy like dramas .. ex: Full House, My Girl, Hana Kimi

i would also like to know about any twisted movies which you can't predict the story or the ending .. ex: Temptation of wolves, Daddy long legs, jungdok ..

Thank you ..

Hazel Eyes ^^

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Feb 7th, '10, 12:56

Hazel Eyes wrote:Hi there ..

Could you please recommend some dramas where the male character is tough and acting hard to get .. for ex. the male character in these dramas: BOF, You're Beautiful, Green Rose, I'm Sorry I love you, A love to Kill .. especially "LOVERS" male charater

and would please recommend dramas with twisted stories like: Temptation of ana angel, Cain and Abel, Green Rose, Women in the Sun ..

i would also like to know about any twisted movies which you can't predict the story or the ending .. ex: Temptation of wolves, Daddy long legs, jungdok ..

Thank you ..

Hazel Eyes ^^
Try Goong, The Vineyard Man, Last Scandal, Tatta Hitotsu no Koi(Jdrama), Shining inheritance, Get Karl! Oh Soo Jung and Who are you?

EDIT:
And I`d love if someone could recommend me something really good. I`ve seen most of the best dramas but I still want to watch some. Here is list with dramas I`ve seen already :
Goong, My Girl, I am SAM, Witch Amusement, Dr. Kkaeng, I really really like you, Save the last dance, Dal Jas spring, That fool, Coffee prince, The Vineyard Man, Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang, Take care of the young lady, Sweet 18, Last Scandal, Lets go to school Sang Doo, You're Beautiful, Shining Inheritance, Iris, Get Karl! Oh Soo Jung, Who are you, Full house.

I hope you can help me find a good drama to watch,
Thanks.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 7th, '10, 13:22

You forgot to mention My Lovely Kim Sam-soon^^, One Fine Day^^

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Feb 7th, '10, 14:06

Ethlenn wrote:You forgot to mention My Lovely Kim Sam-soon^^, One Fine Day^^
Didn't forgot to mention, haven't seen them. Thanks, I`ll download One fine day right away, plot seems interesting. I don't know about My lovely Kim Sam-soon, at the moment, I don`t want to watch it, maybe later...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 7th, '10, 14:36

Goodsss, watch My Lovely Kim Sam soon first! One Fine Day is so-so, but Gong Yoo is gorgeous^^ (after cutting his hair, keke).

Hazel Eyes

Post by Hazel Eyes » Feb 8th, '10, 04:31

Neliets wrote:
Hazel Eyes wrote:Hi there ..

Thank you ..

Hazel Eyes ^^
Try Goong, The Vineyard Man, Last Scandal, Tatta Hitotsu no Koi(Jdrama), Shining inheritance, Get Karl! Oh Soo Jung and Who are you?

EDIT:
And I`d love if someone could recommend me something really good. I`ve seen most of the best dramas but I still want to watch some. Here is list with dramas I`ve seen already :
Goong, My Girl, I am SAM, Witch Amusement, Dr. Kkaeng, I really really like you, Save the last dance, Dal Jas spring, That fool, Coffee prince, The Vineyard Man, Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang, Take care of the young lady, Sweet 18, Last Scandal, Lets go to school Sang Doo, You're Beautiful, Shining Inheritance, Iris, Get Karl! Oh Soo Jung, Who are you, Full house.

I hope you can help me find a good drama to watch,
Thanks.
Thank u so much :-)

i already watched some of the dramas u mentioned except for these " Shining inheritance, Get Karl! Oh Soo Jung and Who are you? " .. i already have them .. so i'll start watching one of them ..

as for you ... I highly recommend you watch "Lovers" drama 2007 right away .. u would certainly love it ..

i would also recommend u watch .. Green Rose, Tree of Heaven, Cain and Abel, Temptation of an Angel, Women in the Sun, iljimae, Time between Dog and Wolf, New Heart, Hong Gil Dong, Hana Kimi (tw version), Snow Queen, I'm Sorry I love you, A love to Kill, Beethoven Virus, 90 Days time for love, What happened in Bali

i hope u enjoy them ..

8)

thootshe_roll

Post by thootshe_roll » Feb 8th, '10, 06:01

My Top 10 Favorite (in order) :thumleft:
1. The City Hall
2. Fantasy Couple
3. Jewel In the Palace
4. Lovers in Praque
5. Capital Scandal
6. Thirty Thousand Miles In Search of My Son
7. My Girl
8. Alone In Love
9. Dal Ja's Spring
10.Full House

basbosa2OO9

Post by basbosa2OO9 » Feb 15th, '10, 22:26

my girl
time bet dog and walf
full house
gong
my fair lady = take care of young lady
winter sonata >> ididn't watch it yet but all my friends love it :cry:
boys over flower >> also i didn't complete it yet but all my friends crazy about it :cry:

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Feb 17th, '10, 06:24

Since soon I`ll have to spend a week at home, I`ll start getting some dramas to watch :D

So, what I`m looking for is something like Goong, My Girl and some other dramas - starting is very funny, enyojable and then in the middle it's getting more like drama. I realized that I like this kind of drama, while I was watching One Fine Day, because in One Fine Day there is no such beginning and first episode starts with drama, sadness and so on.

Thanks.

france

Post by france » Feb 24th, '10, 01:44

Thanks for the reccomendations

Akiio

Post by Akiio » Feb 27th, '10, 16:10

Neliets wrote:Since soon I`ll have to spend a week at home, I`ll start getting some dramas to watch :D

So, what I`m looking for is something like Goong, My Girl and some other dramas - starting is very funny, enyojable and then in the middle it's getting more like drama. I realized that I like this kind of drama, while I was watching One Fine Day, because in One Fine Day there is no such beginning and first episode starts with drama, sadness and so on.

Thanks.
If you like this kind of dramas then I recomand you "Creating Destiny' it really funny at the biggining and in the middle is getting more serious.

Here is the dramawiki http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Creating_Destiny

Well I'm sure that the "Smile you" fans will like this drama as well!

TylerDurden2604

Post by TylerDurden2604 » Feb 28th, '10, 12:58

Hello,

i started watching kdramas a half a year ago and have seen about 15 of them up to now.

Now it came to the point where i can´t decide what to watch next.

Maybe you can help me.

Okay, so what would you recommend to a guy, age 32, who thinks like a women, when it comes to korean dramas.

My favourite kdramas are:

(Crazy for You, Alone in Love, Snow Queen, Full House, MiSa, Bad Family, Flowers for my Life, Sang Doo, City hall, Thank You etc)

As you can see, it´s more about the adult kind of series mostly.

If someone has a good one for an old crybaby who loves drama and romance, please don´t hesitate to tell me.

Thank You!!!

Masumi-chan

Post by Masumi-chan » Feb 28th, '10, 13:10

Stars Falling From the Sky :wub: :wub: :wub:
Smile, You
Last edited by Masumi-chan on Feb 28th, '10, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 28th, '10, 13:11

My Lovely Kim Sam Soon (mandatory)
The Devil (not a romance but you will cry)
Fantasy Couple
90 Days of Love
My Girl

TylerDurden2604

Post by TylerDurden2604 » Feb 28th, '10, 19:34

Thank you for your suggestions!!!

"90 days of love" sounds good and i will certainly try and watch the other ones next.

Once again, thanks for helping me out.

Kamsahamnida.

Chen Yisi

Post by Chen Yisi » Feb 28th, '10, 19:38

Right now, I can only recommend the very good Smile, you!
It's a good mix of drama and comedy and you'll experience a wide range of emotions for sure!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 28th, '10, 19:48

Goong is very nice drama for a beginner, Joo Ji Hoon is very fine in it^^ <swoon> Besides, Queen is like a goddess^^

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Feb 28th, '10, 21:02

Goong
Hong Gil Dong
Your Beautiful
The City Hall
Delightful Girl Choon Hyang
The Sons of Sol Pharmacy House
Heading to the Ground (My lovely Yunho :wub: )

the Best Korean Dramas I've Seen so far :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 28th, '10, 21:15

Waa, i forgot!!!!!! Beethoven Virus!!! One of my first ever watched (it was so long time ago though...)

muriell812

Post by muriell812 » Feb 28th, '10, 21:24

Goong (2006)
Jumong (2006)
Time Between dog and wolf (2007)
Boys Before Flowers (2008)
The Return of Iljimae (2009)
Cain and Abel (2009)
IRIS (2009)

Those are my favorite k-dramas (no order except for Goong which is my #1)
Right now, I'm watching Chuno which will probably join the list if all 24 episodes are of the same quality.

TylerDurden2604

Post by TylerDurden2604 » Feb 28th, '10, 22:12

Thanks for the huge selection of recommended kdramas.

i really appreciate your kind help to let me enter and step deeper into the wonderful world of korean dramas.

i´m very thankful for every single one of your favourite drama-recommendation, which i will definitely start to like or even love like all of you do.

Lord Allmighty

There's no such thing as GOOD korean drama !!!

Post by Lord Allmighty » Feb 28th, '10, 22:46

Mod Edit: Content delete.

Mod comment: Sometime it's better to keep that opinion to yourself.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 28th, '10, 22:51

Chacun a son gout.

Chen Yisi

Post by Chen Yisi » Feb 28th, '10, 22:54

Lord Allmighty, this one very biaised answer.
It's ok if you don't like Korean dramas, you tried and chose to stick with J-dramas, good for you.
But there are some people in this world who love K-dramas, so please respect their choice, we just all have different taste and that's it, no need to say that K-dramas are no good.
Actually I tend to prefer J-dramas but lately (for approximatively 2 seasons), they're really crap to me, but that's my own point of few.
And maybe (and probably) you haven't watched enough K-dramas...

My favorite ones:
- My Girl
- Smile, you
- You're Beautiful
- Beethoven Virus
- Dal Ja's Spring
- Goong

TylerDurden2604

Post by TylerDurden2604 » Feb 28th, '10, 23:10

Hello Lord Allmighty,

thanks for the advice, but i have the experience of about a 100 japanese dramas.
And i loved every minute of it watching them.

But now that i have tried a few korean ones, which were really good, i came her for more.

Because i have the luck to like both kind of dramas. Korean and Japanese.

But i also think it´s good to tell your opinion, because it would be boring without the other side.

Have a nice week!!!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 1st, '10, 01:44

I started with Kdramas, now I'm an ardent fan of Jdramas, which doesn't mean I betrayed K-side. I enjoy them, and I can find something in each of them to enjoy. It's not like each and every drama on the either side is bad or great. Either side has bad and great shows. I tried to watch Japanese ones, but somehow I picked the wrong shows, so I was "disgusted", but someone pointed me one good Jdrama, and I followed one simple rule - a good performance in one drama has to lead to a good performance in another. I wasn't wrong.
As TylerDurden2604 said, I have to repeat: I enjoy my favorite Kdramas, and I enjoy my favorite Jdramas. Without bias.

@TylerDurden2604: watch also Cain and Abel, this one is really good one and moving.

vizardx

Post by vizardx » Mar 1st, '10, 02:04

Ive gone oposite, im sick of jdramas now.

as for reccomended korean dramas..

MUST SEES!!!!!!!

I AM SAM
SMILE, YOU
HELLO GOD

Neliets

Re: There's no such thing as GOOD korean drama !!!

Post by Neliets » Mar 1st, '10, 05:28

Lord Allmighty wrote:Sorry to be The sucker who's spoiling the fun but spare your self from the horror of Korean drama. I've tried believe me and there's no such thing as GOOD Korean drama. But everyone's free to choose so why choose something that's not worth paying attention to.
Try Japanese drama that's a lot better...
Zero tolorance. So pathetic.

I`d say kdrama classics that you just have to see -
Goong,
I am SAM,
Full House,
My Girl,
Coffee Prince.

Speaking of going to Jdramas - I watch both of them. Kdramas a bit more but after 1-3 kdramas I watch a jdrama, it`s refreshing.

Lord Allmighty

Why korean drama sucks part 2

Post by Lord Allmighty » Mar 1st, '10, 11:58

Thanx for your reply's but when someone sad I'm pathetic It's in fact the K-drama that's pathetic. K-drama is kind of a B-movie drama compared to J-drama. You can see the mic often in a scene only amateurs do that. TO be more precise koreans copy the japanese but they do that really bad.

Here's an article in an korean daily newspaper called Chosun :

"In Korea, some of the so-called J-drama maniacs watch Japanese soaps all night long, and the growing popularity of Japanese novels here already outstrips any enthusiasm for Korean writing.

Obviously pleased with the reversal of fortunes, a Japanese movie magazine hailed the Japanese boom in Korea, saying, “While the Korean wave is on the wane, the Japanese wave is waxing.” Many critics agree that while Korean Wave is receding, Japanese culture has been slowly assimilated into the mainstream of Korean culture and has firmly taken root there. So what are the strengths differentiating the Japanese Wave? The Chosun Ilbo asked experts for their views."

You can read the full article here :

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/ ... 90009.html

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 1st, '10, 12:05

We will never be united. Please stop arguing. There are good and bad dramas on the either side.

Lord Allmighty

Post by Lord Allmighty » Mar 1st, '10, 12:18

I agree with Ethlenn in fact my goal is not to talk bad against korean drama but I was really disappointed when I saw the matrix of korean drama that is the Cinderella story repeating it self all over again in many different shows. No such thing in japanese drama. The j-drama is more sustainable and diversified than the korean which is basically the same all over again.

Here's another part of the article I've mentioned, let's not forget this is koreans peaking for them selves :

"The biggest strength of the Japanese Wave, then, is creativity. In Japan, popular comics or novels are often made into dramas and movies, creating a kind of a synergy effect. In Korea, hit dramas like “Winter Sonata” and “Daejanggeum” rarely venture into other media. Japan also boasts a rich variety of material for its dramas and movies. Stereotypical Cinderella stories dominate Korean dramas but are almost non-existent in Japan. Instead, bizarre yet brilliantly creative stories of ordinary individuals entertain Japanese viewers."

Can't argue with that beside we're strangers and when koreans admit it I can't go against it !!!
Can you ???

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 1st, '10, 12:47

There are lot of variety on both sides. We don't want to start a war. I have to admit (since I speak Japanese) it's refreshing to watch Jdramas after Korean ones. But as I said there are good ones and bad ones on the either sides. Japanese indeed are more creative, but some Korean actors are more versatile.

Please respect our views and don't insult each other or this thread will be closed.

Lord Allmighty

Post by Lord Allmighty » Mar 1st, '10, 13:02

Thanks again but let me stress out that I've never insulted anyone here read my posts, all three of them. It's Neliets who had insulted me so tell him/her about it.

Have fun watching k-drama but if it's romance that intrigues you here are couple of my favorite j-dramas so see for your self :

Manhattan Love Story
Orange days
Proposal daisakousen
Hachimitsu to clover

and many many more
you can't beat those in creativity and originality and there are lot more like it always different but with the same touch of freshness and inspiration.

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Mar 1st, '10, 13:22

Why would I come to a Kdrama thread to get recs for Jdrorama's I have already seen. I am new to Kdrama's and I want recs for them, not Jdorama's. Can people keep on topic? Please!

Lord Allmighty

&#12376;&#12419;&#65352;&#12414;&#12383;

Post by Lord Allmighty » Mar 1st, '10, 13:41

You know this is called forum which means anyone who has something to say is free to say it or make a suggestion. I'm sorry to hear that this is kind of Kim Jong-il North Korea system forum. So the rules are that only the ones who admire k-dramas can post.
I'm sorry to have bothered you, I'll never post again here just go on with your monde illusoire and be happy. Sorry to bring a sustainable argument on what I've said but ok I don't care anyway about your topic.

じゃhまたね

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 1st, '10, 13:59

Lord Allmighty wrote:Thanks again but let me stress out that I've never insulted anyone here read my posts, all three of them. It's Neliets who had insulted me so tell him/her about it.
My only goal is to be here in friendly atmosphere. And I wasn't pointing at you personally. I agree with you on some points, but I think it's unnecessary to slam the other side.

BTW. Proposal Daisakusen is one of the worst. i couldn't stand Tomohisa in it. But then again that is only my opinion.

Chen Yisi

Post by Chen Yisi » Mar 1st, '10, 14:00

Oh come on, don't compare this thread to the situation in North Korea please, I'm Korean and I think it's really out of place here.
Let's just say we all have different taste and that's what makes the world interesting. I can see from the list of J-dramas you mentionned, we have quite different taste in J-dramas because I really didn't like Prodai and Honey & Clover (oh that last one disappointed me sooooo much ! And yamapi is by no way a good actor imo)

Here, someone asked for some advice and a lot of people answered and maybe won't like some dramas that were mentioned here!
For instance, I'd have never said that Heading to the Ground is a good drama, it was a pain to watch for me, but I don't blame others for loving it either.

If I were to compare J and K-dramas, I'd say that K-dramas are more mature but tend to drag the story a bit too long, plus they have this love square structure so most of dramas are quite predictible, but there are some very good ones out there! (and I'm not even a big big big fan of K-dramas)

Lord Allmighty

Post by Lord Allmighty » Mar 1st, '10, 14:13

I agree that taste are subjective and we shouldn't argue about it. But this is more of a movie critic debate. We all read movie reviews and we don't blame the critics for doing their job don't we ! So I wanted to say aldough korean drama has it's fanbase and certain virtues no doubt about that it's still lacking professionalism in the process of making the dramas. They're amature compared to j-drama in technical sense and they lack creativity which koreans point out themselves in their daily journals. So blame me but that won't make k-drama better in a production aspect and profesionalism. I like Kim Ki Duk by the way but that's cinema not televison drama.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 1st, '10, 14:21

I think Chuno is a professional in that aspect of making.

Chen Yisi has some point in dragging stories, sometimes 24 episodes is too much to withstand.
But you know, I can like drama that others hate, and likewise. It's always depending on personal taste, favorite actor/actress/director/scriptwriter etc.

I recommend Attic Cat. It's not usual Kdrama, with an open ending, with lot of silliness and bitterness. Worth watching.

TylerDurden2604

Post by TylerDurden2604 » Mar 1st, '10, 16:09

Hello,

thanks again for all the recommendations and even for the discussion.

It shows how much all of you love these dramas, japanese and korean ones.

@Ethlenn: you speak japanese. i envy you. I started to learn it about a year ago. it´s tough.

@Lord Allmighty: watch "Alone in Love" it´s not that cinderella kind of story you don´t like.

Yul

Post by Yul » Mar 1st, '10, 16:37

Currently I'm watching

Stars Falling From the Sky / Pick the Stars / Wish Upon a Star

am so addicted & can't wait till th next ep.

Lord Allmighty

Post by Lord Allmighty » Mar 1st, '10, 18:33

Thanks TylerDurden2604 I'm glad that someone has appreciated the discussion.
Thank you for the recommendation I'll definitely try out that one...

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Mar 1st, '10, 18:56

Lord Allmighty wrote:I agree that taste are subjective and we shouldn't argue about it. But this is more of a movie critic debate. We all read movie reviews and we don't blame the critics for doing their job don't we ! So I wanted to say aldough korean drama has it's fanbase and certain virtues no doubt about that it's still lacking professionalism in the process of making the dramas. They're amature compared to j-drama in technical sense and they lack creativity which koreans point out themselves in their daily journals. So blame me but that won't make k-drama better in a production aspect and profesionalism. I like Kim Ki Duk by the way but that's cinema not televison drama.
I`ve seen many, many jdramas and many, many kdramas. And none of them was even similar. Ofcourse, there is Hana yori dango and Boys over flowers which, i suppose, is the same so since I`ve seen Hana yori dango, not gonna watch korean version. Anyhow - I haven't seen any kdrama that is even similar to any of the jdramas i`ve seen. Tehnical aspect - maybe japanese are better but storys and feeling are very different. IN MY OPINION, jdramas are much lighter and softer than kdramas. In kdramas you`re more into the drama not just watching it. That`s how I see it, at least. Ofcourse, there are some not-so-good dramas, which may not be that interesting but i`ve never seen a mic in a drama. It`s just what you like or and what are you looking for.

And I think there are some dramas which are partly based on Kdramas(If i`m not wrong). Coffee Prince was first k/jdrama where there was such a thing as a girl becomes a guy and then Hana Kimi came. Anyhow, Stand Up! can't be replaceable or coppied, it just won't be the same if someone else tries to make something like that.

Ethlenn, I`d disagree about Proposal Daisakusen. I loved it. :P

Lord Allmighty

Post by Lord Allmighty » Mar 1st, '10, 19:45

@Neliets
wrote : i`ve never seen a mic in a drama.

So let me tell you where you can see it, you must know the most popular k-drama ever Winter Sonata (not judged by me but by the popularity it reached all over asia). Well wactch the first 15 minutes and you'll get to a scene where the girl jumps over the wall of the school and she meets the guy on the other side you'll see the MIC very clearly.

There are more ofcourse in other k-drama series.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 1st, '10, 20:25

I'm back from work and still there is a storm. Let it pass people.
Neliets, this is how it works, some people like something some don't. I LOVE everything about Hana Yori dango, but since I watched Boys Over Flowers first, I was hesitant to watch the original. I was mistaken I admit, Japanese version outshines Korean one.
Are we gonna argue about the mics, come on...

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Mar 1st, '10, 21:13

Ok, now I need a good teen drama. :D Jdrama or kdrama - it doesn't matter but I`d like if there was romance not friendship(I mean that I don't want dramas like Nobuta wo produce and so on, i`ve seen enough of them).

Cinderella story or something like Stand up - it doesn't matter to me aslong as it's teen or early, early 20's, because then some fun is garantueed.

Chen Yisi

Post by Chen Yisi » Mar 1st, '10, 21:20

I think I only watched 2 K-dramas with characters supposed to be teenagers...
As I previously wrote, K-dramas have a more mature side and often involve adults or young adults.

Delightful Girl Choon Hyang which is quite good (like all the Hong sisters dramas actually) and Hello My Teacher, I had a nice time watching this one even though you absolutely can't see Gong Yoo as a teenager especially if you've seen Coffee Prince before but I eventually got used to it.

Regarding the Cinderella story style, if some of you don't want that, you can try Beethoven Virus, Hong Gil Dong, Partner, Powerful Opponent or The Devil.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Mar 1st, '10, 21:34

Chen Yisi wrote:I think I only watched 2 K-dramas with characters supposed to be teenagers...
As I previously wrote, K-dramas have a more mature side and often involve adults or young adults.

Delightful Girl Choon Hyang which is quite good (like all the Hong sisters dramas actually) and Hello My Teacher, I had a nice time watching this one even though you absolutely can't see Gong Yoo as a teenager especially if you've seen Coffee Prince before but I eventually got used to it.

Regarding the Cinderella story style, if some of you don't want that, you can try Beethoven Virus, Hong Gil Dong, Partner, Powerful Opponent or The Devil.
Thanks but I`ve seen them both. Actually Hello my teacher was my 2nd kdrama ever and loved it, I`ve watched it 3 times now, i think. Delightful Girl Choon-hyang wasn't that good, in my opinion. It was dragged to much, if i remember correctly.

Any other suggestions?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 1st, '10, 21:58

If we speak about Gong Yoo, what about One Fine Day? It deals with tentative issue of not related siblings in love.

Issy

Re: There's no such thing as GOOD korean drama !!!

Post by Issy » Mar 1st, '10, 22:59

Lord Allmighty wrote:Sorry to be The sucker who's spoiling the fun but spare your self from the horror of Korean drama. I've tried believe me and there's no such thing as GOOD Korean drama. But everyone's free to choose so why choose something that's not worth paying attention to.
Try Japanese drama that's a lot better...
I used to be like this, saying the exact words as above whenever i was reading about kdrama recommandation. BUT, i was wrong. till last november i never thought of watching anything korean but thank god, that i gave it a try. there is good and bad ones in both jdrama and kdramas.
when you say "there's no such things as GOOD Korean dramas" then you definitely have not watched Beethoven Virus, Hong Gil Dong and You're Beautiful and most definitely not Chuno. i am naming the above dramas because as someone new to the world of Kdramas, i have seen only a few (8 drama to be exact) but finding 4 out of 8 of those dramas very good, must say something.
everytime i read comments like this make me think of myself in embarressement because without giving them a chance, i kept on denying them. but i have learned my lesson. i never say never again and i never be biased without giving the apposite side a chance to prove themselves to me. :salut:

misokatsu

Post by misokatsu » Mar 2nd, '10, 18:12

I agree that taste are subjective and we shouldn't argue about it. But this is more of a movie critic debate. We all read movie reviews and we don't blame the critics for doing their job don't we ! So I wanted to say aldough korean drama has it's fanbase and certain virtues no doubt about that it's still lacking professionalism in the process of making the dramas. They're amature compared to j-drama in technical sense and they lack creativity which koreans point out themselves in their daily journals. So blame me but that won't make k-drama better in a production aspect and profesionalism. I like Kim Ki Duk by the way but that's cinema not televison drama.
LordAllmighty,
I totally agree with your assessment. I've watched both J- and K-dramas and I find the former in general to be more accomplished, polished, creative with a better structured storyline than the latter. I've actually read that article you linked years ago and the author got it right. It sums up accurately the difference between the two.

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/ ... 90009.html

In general, K-dramas tend to be sappy, sentimental, predictable, character bonding done by actors frolicking to prolonged music, narratives that drag and are pushed mostly by emotional, love-hate mood swings that make you wonder if the leads are bipolar, a lot of shouting (apparently in Korea the one with the loudest voice and not the strongest argument wins) and tend to rely on the same melodramatic formula repeatedly with mere variations on a theme. Sure, there are exceptions (like the epic Dae Jang Geum which is one of my all-time favorites) but for the most part that's what you get with many K-dramas. If the above that I've described is what you like, then by all means indulge yourself. Watching a typical K-drama is like watching a typical summer hollywood blockbuster--you just turn your brain off and enjoy the nice production values and shallow storyline; mostly alll form and hardly any substance.

Lord Allmighty

Post by Lord Allmighty » Mar 2nd, '10, 20:45

Thanks misokatsu I was waiting for someone who will talk with more precise arguments rather than emotional response like other people in this thread. I'm glad that I'm not alone with my thoughts about k-drama. In fact I'd love to see k-drama surpass j-drama we the fans can only profit from it. Plus the korean language I totally agree with you not a pleasant sound to my ears. It seems like if they're fighting all the time and shouting to each other. Really unsophisticated language I'd say.

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Mar 2nd, '10, 22:33

Look, discussing whether you like or dislike Korean drama's just shouldn't be in a thread for people asking for recommendations of Korean dorama's that they should watch. I don't care whether you think I am trying to limit your right to free speech, cause I am not, I am just wondering why you are hijacking a thread, and I just want you to go and start a new one like J-Dorama's are better than K-Drama's.

BTW thanks for the rec on Hello My Teacher. Enjoying it, but I guess I must be crazy since all K-drama's suck.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 2nd, '10, 22:51

Oh yes, I see strong support for Gong Yoo here. Well, no wonder, he just got out from military, and we all are waiting for another project of his.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Mar 5th, '10, 16:48

Lord Allmighty wrote:Thanks misokatsu I was waiting for someone who will talk with more precise arguments rather than emotional response like other people in this thread. I'm glad that I'm not alone with my thoughts about k-drama. In fact I'd love to see k-drama surpass j-drama we the fans can only profit from it. Plus the korean language I totally agree with you not a pleasant sound to my ears. It seems like if they're fighting all the time and shouting to each other. Really unsophisticated language I'd say.
To be honest, you can say what you want, you can try to argument your opinion - I don't really give a sh*t. Kdramas > jdramas for me, if you don't like kdramas why the f*ck are you in this sub-forum? And better don't start talking about languages. And not every kdrama is predictable, anyhow most of jdramas are(at least from like about 15 i`ve seen there may be few aspects that I couldn`t predict but basically you could tell the result).

Conclusion - If you want tehnically very good drama - watch jdramas. If you want more emotional then Kdramas.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 5th, '10, 17:15

Unsophisticated language. Boy oh boy... I will tell it to my fellow professors in linguistic studies, I hope this will make them laugh.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Mar 6th, '10, 08:28

lolololol, who's this butthurt Japanophile troll? O.o

Sigh, I see a lot of people still bringing up Winter Sonata and other dramas while they don't realize that the trend of cancer, incest etc., all those overblown melodramas, are no longer popular in Korea itself and it's a very outdated generalization -- it's one that fits dramas from the mid-90's to mid-2000's, if anything. Winter Sonata is from 2002, and KDramas have evolved a lot since, both in production values and sophistication. If you're going to bash KDramas, at least pick cliches that are recent! There are about 50 KDramas being made every year in a variety of different genres; do you seriously think you have the authority to tell someone all 50 of those sucked and are not worth their time when it's crystal clear you haven't even watched anything decent and are biased to the bones?

A very wise friend once told me: "If you don't like my toys, I'll be in the corner over there and play with my toys and you can go go into the corner over there and play with yours."

Why willfully come over and kick someone else's toys?

Lastly, recommendations for KDramas.

Recommendations for non-romance KDramas

Story of a Man is an excellent drama with a plot that keeps twisting and turning, very few KDrama cliches, and the creepiest Machiavellian villain I've seen in any drama, ever. This is not a romance drama, it's far too ambitious for that, and the writer is no doubt a genius. We go from playing Tekken through stock trading to examining the roots of Capitalism through the villain's plans to BOOM, tears and one of the creepiest yet most fitting finales ever.

Watch this if: you like plot over romance, like big-scale dramas with guns and suspense -- but not at the expense of plausibility.

Evasive Inquiry Agency is another plot-driven drama, about a quartet of wacky friends finding a treasure map and setting out to find it. The first episode is terrible, but just get past it -- I swear it turns out to have one of the most sophisticated plots in any drama ever, regardless of origin, and combined with the wackiness of these loveable, loveable dorks (a good-for-nothing comic shop owner, a Taekwondo trainer, and a quaky fortune teller), it's just a winning drama.

Watch this if: you like plot over romance, like memorable characters, have the time to get past a very weak episode 1.

Other good non-romance dramas I don't feel like writing a whole review about: White Tower, Friend, My Legend, Resurrection, The Devil.

Recommendations for Romance KDramas

Dal Ja's Spring - probably the best out of the flood of older woman/younger man dramas, and IMO far superior to the JDrama offerings of the same theme (yes, I've seen them). Dal Ja is perhaps the most likable heroine I've seen in a Korean drama, and the drama deals with the subject matter with surprising delicacy and intelligence. There's no cancer, car crashes, birth secrets or amnesia in this one -- without ever sinking into complete fluff, either.

Watch this if: you like romance, and don't mind the absence of an epic non-romance plot, but are tired of the melodrama staples.

Soulmate - my favorite drama ever, this is sexy, sexy, playful, realistic and, despite only being 12 episodes long, epic. About the lives and loves of 8 interconnected modern Seoulites, this is perhaps the most realistic portrayal of modern love I've seen while still playing with the romantic question of, "Is there such a thing as soulmates"?

Soulmate is famous mainly for 2 things: it's coarse and no-holds-barreled humor (for example: one girl pees herself, another reveals herself to be a yaoi fangirl and asks 2 of the boys to make out with each other etc.) and its soundtrack. Soulmate definitely has the best soundtrack of any Asian drama ever made, and no, that's not even a subjective assessment. Watch the first few episodes to know what I mean about 'BEST. SOUNDTRACK. EVER."

Watch Soulmate if: .... you have a pulse.

:lol

Other romance dramas I can recommended (all of these without old-school melodrama cliches): the currently airing Still, Marry Me (or 'Woman Who Still Wants to Marry'), City Hall (this is actually cross between romance and non-romance drama, with a strong plot on either side), You're Beautiful (wacky fun if there ever was one).

riki_kun

Post by riki_kun » Mar 6th, '10, 16:32

Ok, i'm new to this forum, posting here for the first time, the only K-Drama i watched was Winter Sonata and i really loved it(i'm currently watching the anime but drama is better) , i would like suggestions for other similar romance k-dramas but i don't like sad endings, i'm currently downloading Beautiful Days and Autumn in my Heart. Thanks in advance

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Mar 6th, '10, 21:08

Can you be more precise? Pretty much every drama is romantic. You want drama where you can smile and laugh at first episodes and only later there starts to be a romance and stuff?

And thanks, Néa Vanille, for Soulmate. Seems to be very interesting, I`ll look into that.

riki_kun

Post by riki_kun » Mar 6th, '10, 21:38

something like winter sonata i said, romance drama where any of the main characters don't have to die at the end .

muriell812

Post by muriell812 » Mar 7th, '10, 01:00

About likes and dislikes, honnestly who cares as long as one have a good time !
There is one thing i would like to say though about the argument regarding kdrama vs jdrama. I think it is really lame to doom an entire category of TV shows just because one happens to dislike it. The end.

Personnally, i stopped watching TV because i didn't find anything worthy of my time (i am not saying the programs are crappy). Instead, i am spending my time surfing on the internet and looking for new sensations. Thus, i saw my first korean movie and then korean dramas, japanese dramas, taïwannese dramas, etc...

My favorite ones are J&Kdramas. I like both as much but for different reasons.

As this thread is about Kdrama, let me tell you about the last drama i have seen and loved : Thank You (2007). I know it isn't the most recent one but to me it ranks directly in my top 4 (among more than 120).

First, i have to say that i am in a long-lasting mood for "happy ending" so i have ignored "Thank You" for quite some time since it dealt with AIDS. But i read somewhere it was a feel-good story so i started watching it and it really is. I loved the characters and not only the 3 main ones. It's true that the little girl is cute and all but there is plenty of others :
- the senile grand-father, clumsy and touching
- the old motel owner who is in love (unrequited) since she is 16 with the grand-father (even if he is senile)
- the doctor who runs the clinic on the island where the action takes place. He is rather funny since he is not very gifted as a doctor.
Some of you may find this is a classical Kdrama but unlike most of the dramas i have already watched, i found more subtlety in the characters and the storyline is well balanced giving a real substance to the supporting cast.
As for the story in itself, it is interesting from the first minute to the last. It is fun and sometimes sad and heart-tearing with no break in the rythm which i have also found unusual. Generally, i am totally engrossed in the first half of the dramas and very often less in the second half.
Ah, I almost forgot to say that i also loved the end !

To end this post, i hope my english was good enough to convey the pleasure i had thanks to "Thank You".

muriell812

Post by muriell812 » Mar 7th, '10, 01:20

I forgot to say that I like Soulmate a lot but i DL a version with bad quality subs and it was really frustrating !
I am ready to watch it a second time if somebody can help me find the "perfect subs"
Thanks

Good Kdramas with happy ending :
- My Girl (2005) funny and romantic
- Goong (2006) funny, romantic and sweet (young couple of highschoolers)
- First shop of Coffee Prince (2007) - funny and romantic with gender-bender
- Cain and Abel (2009) romance and action

riki_kun

Post by riki_kun » Mar 7th, '10, 15:06

Ok forget it, i said drama/romance not romantic comedy, i want to see some drama/romance with happy ending, just like Winter Sonata, does WS looks like comedy? Thanks anyway.

Chen Yisi

Post by Chen Yisi » Mar 7th, '10, 15:14

Well, saying that you want drama and romance doesn't really help that's why people asked you for more details and others gave you some advice.
A LOT of Korean dramas are about drama and romance, then you have several sub-genres.
You say you want something like Winter Sonata but keep in mind that not everyone has seen this drama, for instance I haven't so I really can't help you to watch a new drama to watch unless you give us more precisions...
If you could give us more details, we'll help you for sure.

Utada

Post by Utada » Mar 7th, '10, 15:51

Hey guys. Could you reccomend me a Korean drama where the guy isn't the hottest, but the girl is pretty too and where the guy wasn't earlier in love with a very hot girl and where the main characters don't hate each other gfrom the begging?
I have to admit that I have a very bad luck in Korean dramas, but I'm searching for something for me ; )

Chen Yisi

Post by Chen Yisi » Mar 7th, '10, 15:58

Udata > All dramas I can think now with the criteria you gave below are:

- 9 end 2 outs: it's about 2 good friends, one guy and one girl who are about 30 and their love relationships.

- Dal Ja's Spring with Lee Min Ki who's not the hottest guy on that planet but he's damn cute in this drama. Chae Rim is also so lovable in it. It's about a young guy and a 30 year-old active woman.

If I think about something else, I'll let you know.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Mar 7th, '10, 16:07

Utada wrote:Hey guys. Could you reccomend me a Korean drama where the guy isn't the hottest, but the girl is pretty too and where the guy wasn't earlier in love with a very hot girl and where the main characters don't hate each other gfrom the begging?
I have to admit that I have a very bad luck in Korean dramas, but I'm searching for something for me ; )
That Fool. Sounds like it will be suit you great!

riki_kun

Post by riki_kun » Mar 7th, '10, 17:10

Chen Yisi wrote:Well, saying that you want drama and romance doesn't really help that's why people asked you for more details and others gave you some advice.
A LOT of Korean dramas are about drama and romance, then you have several sub-genres.
You say you want something like Winter Sonata but keep in mind that not everyone has seen this drama, for instance I haven't so I really can't help you to watch a new drama to watch unless you give us more precisions...
If you could give us more details, we'll help you for sure.
Why is that so hard to understand? isn't enough to say DRAMA/ROMANCE (not comedy, i've got fed up watching them) with not sad ending(like none of the Main Characters die in the end) , are there any K-Dramas that falls in that category except for Winter Sonata? Maybe i could add that it should be set in modern times , nothing like ancient Korea. That's all!

riki_kun

Post by riki_kun » Mar 7th, '10, 17:23

Anyway WS is the first and only K-Drama i've seen so i can't make more examples, i can't compare to other dramas, anyway i've seen a few J-dramas and among them i liked :
Tatta Hitotsu no Koi
Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu
Nobuta wo Produce(even though is not really romance)

i hope that can help

Chen Yisi

Post by Chen Yisi » Mar 7th, '10, 17:32

I'm thinking "Who are you?" for you.
It's about a girl who suddenly loses her father in an "accident" then comes back as a ghost with the ability to possess someone's body. His choice turns to be the body of a young and frigid CEO.
I know some others dramas that mix some kind of drama and romance but they either have comedy/action moments or either end sadly...
Anyway, Who are you is quite original too, a lot of people really liked it but I didn't but mainly because I'm really not a Go Ara fan.

riki_kun

Post by riki_kun » Mar 7th, '10, 17:48

Ok thanks! i heard of a drama called The Snow Queen, is it any good? it has sad ending?

Chen Yisi

Post by Chen Yisi » Mar 7th, '10, 17:59

The Snow Queen had definitely a sad ending so I really wouldn't recommend you to watch that one if you want happy things.
Not the best drama but I think I remember having liked the way it's narrated.

muriell812

Post by muriell812 » Mar 7th, '10, 18:23

About Kdrama with romance, no comedy and no sad ending, what about : Spring Waltz (2006), Which Star Are You From (2006) and Wil it snow at Christmas (2010)

You can check the storyline there :
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/What_Star_Did_You_Come_From
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Spring_Waltz
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Will_it_Snow_at_Christmas%3F