Can someone explain this?

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
Fantastical

Can someone explain this?

Post by Fantastical » Mar 29th, '10, 21:48

Did the Bubble Sisters ever apologise or anything?

What is your take on this?

Is this racist or just creativity and a misunderstanding?

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Mar 29th, '10, 22:02

Looks rather retarded... very retarded. Its almost as bad as this one scene in Vampire Girl VS Frankenstein Girl where they portray some black girls.

Fantastical

Post by Fantastical » Mar 29th, '10, 22:04

kuro570 wrote:Looks rather retarded... very retarded. Its almost as bad as this one scene in Vampire Girl VS Frankenstein Girl where they portray some black girls.
Oh god...here we go.....

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Mar 30th, '10, 01:40

It is pretty funny after a while I do have to admit. lol ><

anne_revenant

Post by anne_revenant » Mar 30th, '10, 01:58

I'm at work so I can't hear what they're actually saying (not that I'd understand) but I'm assuming you're referring to the black face.

This is my take on it:

If they were to do this in the US then yes it would be highly offensive and they should have to apologize for it. We have a history of slavery, racism and black face that was used in minstrel shows to promote racial stereotypes. BUT Korea doesn't have this history and so they aren't bound to the same 'rules'. This sort of reminds me of all the uproar caused when Mexico decided to put Memín Pinguín on a stamp.

So, is it racially insensitive? Yes, very much so but they might not see it that way. Am I personally offended? Yes but that's because I come from a culture that looks down on doing these things but you have to look at it from a cultural relativistic stand point, Korea doesn't have the same history the US did so how they react to these things is much different. I wouldn't call it creativity, but I would say that all they're trying to do is entertain and are not reading as much into as we are.