Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
byrdgyrl

Post by byrdgyrl » Apr 15th, '10, 23:50

Howdy! I'm fairly new to Jdrama as well, like everyone else here, and am in desperate need of some recommendations.

I think maybe the things I like are a little different than most. I tend to like very dark, serious, intense, adult drama, but it's hard to find. I also like things set in the Showa era, especially the war period and things relating to it. So it's probably no surprise that Fumo Chitai was my favorite drama of the past few seasons.

I know one of the NHK dramas was set in the Showa era, and I've read about it on DramaWiki, but I haven't been able to find it to download or with English subs.

I've perused a lot of others, but the recent-ish dramas I like the most (aside from Fumo Chitai) are Utahime and Liar Game.

I'm totally open to things that aren't brand new - if I can download them with English subs, that is! :mrgreen:

Thank you so much for your help!!

Pantheria

Post by Pantheria » Apr 16th, '10, 00:36

I don't know if it's something you'd like but I just finished watching Last Friends & it was excellent. It is fairly recent though but It's definitely a more mature storyline as it deals with some very serious issues such as DV. I didn't think I'd like this as I normaly prefer happy school type dramas like Hana Yori Dango or Nobuta wo Produce but it's definitely worth a watch.

Maybe browse through my lists to see if anything takes your fancy: http://mydramalist.info/users/2170/pantheria/dramas or http://jdorama.com/viewprofile.46207.htm

Hope it helps. :)

pyxee

Post by pyxee » Apr 16th, '10, 01:03

byrdgyrl wrote:Howdy! I'm fairly new to Jdrama as well, like everyone else here, and am in desperate need of some recommendations.

I think maybe the things I like are a little different than most. I tend to like very dark, serious, intense, adult drama, but it's hard to find. I also like things set in the Showa era, especially the war period and things relating to it. So it's probably no surprise that Fumo Chitai was my favorite drama of the past few seasons.

I know one of the NHK dramas was set in the Showa era, and I've read about it on DramaWiki, but I haven't been able to find it to download or with English subs.

I've perused a lot of others, but the recent-ish dramas I like the most (aside from Fumo Chitai) are Utahime and Liar Game.

I'm totally open to things that aren't brand new - if I can download them with English subs, that is! :mrgreen:

Thank you so much for your help!!
I don't know much about dramas from the Showa era, but for darker stories I may have a few.

Mostly suspense dramas
Maou very dark, involves revenge, and murder.
Majo Saiban Not as dark as Maou but involves the jurors of a strange murder case being bought off/blackmaled.
Bloody Monday 1 and 2 terrorists try to destroy Japan. With help of a hacker an anti terrorist agency takes them on. Doesn't seem too dark at first wash....but the story has enough death destruction and who dunnit to keep you on the edge of your seat.
Orthros No Inu One man has the power to kill anyone with a touch, another the power to heal anyone with a touch battle each other. Mostly this one is good for the mystery. Where did they come from are they connected etc.
Zeni Geba Poor boy grows up in a horrible situation and decided he will become rich no matter what (or who) stands in his way.
The Quiz show 1 and 2 someone uses an new television quiz show to bring about revenge.

Serious subjects but not so much dark:
Last Friends this one is not really dark but deals with subjects such as domestic violence, Homosexuality, Sexual abuse and more.
Yasashi Jikan this one is might not be up your alley. It is mostly a human drama about loss and guilt. In a nut shell A boy causes his mothers death in a auto accident and disappears for a number of years. Only to find out he has been living less than an hour away from his father the entire time, watching over him.

Suspense dramas that sometimes have a bit of comedy thrown in
Untouchable Has very dark moments but on the whole has as much comedy as suspense.
Trick series mostly just a who dunnit and how. Much like Liar Game, each episode deals with a different case but the relationships between the characters grow and evolve throughout.
Ryusei no Kizuna has a lot of comedic elements, but the basic plot is that 3 siblings look for the man that killed their parents when they were young children.

I hope that some of the interest you. I tried to include a bit of variety but keep the list geared toward more adult stories.

byrdgyrl

Post by byrdgyrl » Apr 17th, '10, 00:26

Thanks for the great suggestions, guys! I'm excited to try these! :}

I guess I'll really have to check out Last Friends! Since both pyxee and Pantheria recommended it to me.

I'm also curious about any jidaigeki you guys might like? Those appeal to me a lot too, but there's so many out there I don't know where to begin!

tmembrane

Post by tmembrane » Apr 17th, '10, 04:13

After being impressed by Juri Ueno's performance in the movie Rainbow Song, I watched TV series Last Friends (I usually stick to JMovies). This TV series was incredible, blew my expectations. Wonderful characters played by a worthy cast.

bawkchoii

Post by bawkchoii » Apr 17th, '10, 21:29

hi can somebody reccomend me a drama that's similar to Buzzer Beat??? I really loved it lol ^ ^ or any good recent romantic comedies?? lol

pyxee

Post by pyxee » Apr 17th, '10, 23:07

bawkchoii wrote:hi can somebody reccomend me a drama that's similar to Buzzer Beat??? I really loved it lol ^ ^ or any good recent romantic comedies?? lol
I don't watch too many sports dramas. so the only that comes to mind off had would be maybe rookies?

Romantic comedies....
Love Shuffle- is an awesome series....but you may have seen it since it is a few seasons old.
Sorry if this isn't very helpful, I have not really watched many romance comedies that are less than a few years old, and even then not very many.
Although I think there are a few that might be good this new season.
Yankee-kun to Megane-chan comes to mind.

Pantheria

Post by Pantheria » Apr 17th, '10, 23:22

pyxee wrote:Romantic comedies....
Love Shuffle- is an awesome series....but you may have seen it since it is a few seasons old.
Just wanted to add my recommendation for Love Shuffle, I wasn't sure about this one at first but I had some time to burn so thought I'd watch it anyway, it's the funniest things I've seen in ages. It's totaly awesome. YAY PANDA! :)

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 18th, '10, 02:42

tmembrane wrote:After being impressed by Juri Ueno's performance in the movie Rainbow Song, I watched TV series Last Friends (I usually stick to JMovies). This TV series was incredible, blew my expectations. Wonderful characters played by a worthy cast.
Semi-worthy cast... But that's for the Last Friends thread.

outcast_within

So what's good this season?

Post by outcast_within » Apr 19th, '10, 11:36

Last thing i watched was highschool samurai.

So any shows that look promising? or any shows that just finished that were really good?

Denkira

Post by Denkira » Apr 19th, '10, 11:51

bawkchoii wrote:hi can somebody reccomend me a drama that's similar to Buzzer Beat??? I really loved it lol ^ ^ or any good recent romantic comedies?? lol
Hey, if you're looking for romantic comedies, I would definitely recommend Hana Yori Dango, I think it's the best in that genre :)) Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge as well, it just ended recently. And if you've liked Buzzer Beat, I'm almost sure you'll like Tatta Hitotsu no Koi, though it's a bit sadder than the others.

I'd also recommend Papa to Musume no Nanokakan, though it's a bit different and also Tadashi Ouji no Tsukurikata.

The just started Sunao ni Narenakute seems nice too, but I can't guarantee anything about it yet :)

xploring

Post by xploring » Apr 19th, '10, 12:44

Ratings look to be a lot higher this season. I like Zettai Reido, Mother, and Kaibutsu kun so far. Didn't like Team Batista 2, haven't watched any of the others.

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Apr 19th, '10, 13:29

"Yankee-kun to Megane-chan" - loved the manga, so I want to see the live version. ^o^ Also I haven´t watched Narimiya Hiroki lately - so I´m waiting to see him as a delinquent - also Naka Riisa seems promising as a Adachi Hana.

"TROUBLEMAN" - I just want to see Kato Shigeaki acting again ^o^ and hey it´s SABU who´s directing it!

Also what seems to be promising are:

"Tubling" - Seto Koji in letards?! Seems to be funny.

"Sunao ni Narenakute" - cast is from Japan and South-Korea. looks interesting to me, but I prbably won´t watch it.

"Mother" - appeals to me too. Seems to be a tearjerker.

I looked up the other jdoramas of this season and I found that there are so many where the plot is about detectives, police officers etc. - don´t they get tired of it? I know I do!

alisalovetatming

Post by alisalovetatming » Apr 19th, '10, 14:42

Team Batista 2 funny I like character Taguchi Sensei very much
I think it better than part 1
episode 2 receive good rating at Kanto (14.5) and high rating at Kansai (17.2) next episode interesting don't miss for watch ^o^

mehrunmastadons

Post by mehrunmastadons » Apr 20th, '10, 11:55

hi!!
i need some recommendation!
can you introduce some ecchi Dorama look like Shimokita glory days and jyouou virgin?
thank you!

Nemi79

Post by Nemi79 » Apr 20th, '10, 12:49

I could use some tips too

Some of my fav dramas are: Nobuta wo produce, sapuri, anego, stand up!, Kurosagi, Maou, my girl.

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » Apr 20th, '10, 13:15

Spent my Sunday afternoon watching Tokyo Friends and the start of Sapuri. Tokyo Friends is one of my favorite dorama's and one I have watched at least three or four times because of Otsuka Ai, and Eita, but most of all for the dialog between Rei, Hirono, Ryoko and Maki. Love these four girls!

Oh, and if you like Ai-chan's music then she does a lot of singing in it.

Oh, and Orange Days is a must see too.

riki_kun

Post by riki_kun » Apr 20th, '10, 15:00

Denkira wrote:
Hey, if you're looking for romantic comedies, I would definitely recommend Hana Yori Dango, I think it's the best in that genre :)) Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge as well, it just ended recently. And if you've liked Buzzer Beat, I'm almost sure you'll like Tatta Hitotsu no Koi, though it's a bit sadder than the others.

I'd also recommend Papa to Musume no Nanokakan, though it's a bit different and also Tadashi Ouji no Tsukurikata.

The just started Sunao ni Narenakute seems nice too, but I can't guarantee anything about it yet :)
I agree with Denkira, if you like Buzzer Beat you should watch Hana Yori Dango and Tatta Hitotsu no Koi , you can also try Proposal Daisakusen and Hana Kimi.

zirdante

Suggestions for medical dramas?

Post by zirdante » Apr 21st, '10, 07:25

I love medical shows, and I would like to know more previous ones to get.

I've seen God hand teru, and currently watching the second season of code blue. Would like to watch more dramas like that, if you know any.

Thanks in advance!

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Apr 21st, '10, 07:49

You can try check out JIN. It takes place in ancient Japan and isn't fully a medical drama as it focuses more on character. But it was still really good. There's also Kyumei Byoto 24 Ji, season 4 is the latest with subs while the older ones are harder to find. I watched it without watching the previous seasons and had no problems with the plot.

Kaitoz

Post by Kaitoz » Apr 21st, '10, 08:01

Iryuu is pretty good.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 21st, '10, 10:17

Kdrama:
Jejoongwon, New Heart, OB-GYN

JIN takes place in Edo period, so it's not so ancient, btw^^

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Apr 21st, '10, 11:10

Code Blue (1 and 2) - helicopter doctors

Gir

Post by Gir » Apr 21st, '10, 12:31

Tomorrow http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Tomorrow_%282008%29
Doctors and nurses trying to save their hospital that the city is trying to close down. Strange for a city that every event that they have ends in a disaster.

lapzod

Post by lapzod » Apr 21st, '10, 15:48

I just finished watching Majisuka Gakuen (and loved it), so I guess I'm looking for some shows about Yankii's

Any help would be appreciated!

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Apr 21st, '10, 19:54

Yankee Bokou ni Kaeru has yankee in its name and has been jdrama of the week for some time.

mehrunmastadons

Post by mehrunmastadons » Apr 21st, '10, 21:19

mehrunmastadons wrote:hi!!
i need some recommendation!
can you introduce some ecchi Dorama look like Shimokita glory days and jyouou virgin?
thank you!
no body can helps me by recommend???

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Apr 22nd, '10, 06:22

I liked Shimokita (probably because it reminded me of love hina anime) and tried to find more. The next series I found (don't even remember the name) was more ero than ecchi and it turned me off.

good luck to you tho.

mehrunmastadons

Post by mehrunmastadons » Apr 22nd, '10, 22:04

thank you,but at least remember the name of series,or give me a simple way to find these series when nobody here can help!

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Apr 23rd, '10, 06:52

You can check out d-addicts discussion forums about shimokita if you are really interested. I am sure people who liked the series made some alternative suggestions. And there is always google.

To be honest I do not even remember how I found the Shimokita so can't help you more than this.

mehrunmastadons

Post by mehrunmastadons » Apr 23rd, '10, 11:10

thank you again,must search so!!!

riki_kun

Post by riki_kun » May 1st, '10, 03:27

where i can download this drama? http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Shokojo_Seira i want to watch it so badly, thanks in advance.

Pantheria

Post by Pantheria » May 1st, '10, 12:19

riki_kun wrote:where i can download this drama? http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Shokojo_Seira i want to watch it so badly, thanks in advance.
Just search under the torrents list, it's there. :)

muriell812

Post by muriell812 » May 3rd, '10, 19:36

riki_kun wrote:where i can download this drama? http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Shokojo_Seira i want to watch it so badly, thanks in advance.
Did you check on SilentRegrets.com and Lets-look.com ? I am pretty sure it is at least on one of them

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » May 3rd, '10, 19:47

muriell812 wrote:
Did you check on SilentRegrets.com and Lets-look.com ? I am pretty sure it is at least on one of them
Just go to the TLS website because they should have DDL links there.

Hoodieninja

Post by Hoodieninja » May 11th, '10, 10:51

I'm looking for good detective show's with complex mysteries such as the ones like Liar Game.

Would anybody be able to recommend me something similar?

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » May 11th, '10, 11:20

Hoodieninja wrote:I'm looking for good detective show's with complex mysteries such as the ones like Liar Game.

Would anybody be able to recommend me something similar?
Try Bloody Monday :)

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » May 11th, '10, 16:00

@The Chaos: May I ask about your signature, please!? From which anime is that character?! And is he the same one at your icon as well? I like the devilish characters and I hope he is one of them XD

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » May 11th, '10, 16:17

See your PM for the Answer :)

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » May 11th, '10, 21:22

The Chaos wrote:See your PM for the Answer :)
oh thanks! sorry for asking here XD

juliennepeters

Post by juliennepeters » May 14th, '10, 02:28

these are my fave J-drama's:

*Nodame Cantabile
*Hana Kimi
*Hana Yori Dango
*Nobuta wo Produce
*Hotaro no Hikari

The above ones are funny n romantic...

*One Litre of Tears(but you will defo cry heaps n heaps!)

saayan

Post by saayan » May 17th, '10, 09:58

ranma-a-k wrote:Hello everyone, I hope some of you can help me.

I search for dramas that are similar to Attention Please and Good Luck.
They are both dramas which center on the life of people working for an airline.

Thank you in advance
Sorry so late and sorry if someone has already suggested this but if flight attendant's are your thing, you should check out CA to Oyobi. :lol

mami.mimi

Post by mami.mimi » May 17th, '10, 12:35

Hello everyone. I'm new here and was hoping that I could get a few suggestions on finished dramas (not currently airing) :unsure: ...Basically, I've seen quite a bit of dramas and most were the usual "most voted" dramas (e.g. HYD's, GTO/GOKUSEN's, most of Kimura Takuya's shows, 85% of 100 top dramas on jdorama website..) I'm open to newer or older titles...anything that you find interesting that mightve been overlooked by most. I loved Long Vacation (my favorite drama), MBMH, Byakuyakou. I like stories with more drama or love themes mostly, but as with MBMH, i like a good comedy too. Any genre/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....oh, btw...I LUV THIS SITE :cheers:

P.S.: If my request is still a little vague, please LMK. thanks.

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » May 17th, '10, 12:43

@mami.mimi..I Suggest Nodame Cantabile to you ...it one of the best Drama :D

mami.mimi

Post by mami.mimi » May 17th, '10, 20:20

@The Chaos...Thanks. I'll check it out.

muriell812

Post by muriell812 » May 18th, '10, 09:21

Try Love Shuffle (fun and romance) and Orange Days (nice story about the end of adolescence)
These are 2 of my fave

kuroihikari

Post by kuroihikari » May 18th, '10, 11:57

Greetings, friends.

I'm looking for a light comedy/romance or school comedy, preferably one that doesn't rely on ikemen/boyband members to get its story across (nothing against them, particularly, but that they get too repetitive). Preferably a newer one so its easier to find.

I've watched a lot of dramas, so my choices will be extremely limited, but anyway here are some of the dramas I've seen (not particularly liked all of them):
Nobuta wo Produce, ProDai, Kurosagi, Buzzer Beat
Mop Girl, Kiina, Moto Kare, BOSS, Zettai Kareshi.
GTO, Gokusen 1 and 2 (I don't intend to watch 3), Dragon Zakura, My Boss My Hero.
Hero, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, Trick,
Love Generation, Pride, Engine, Mr. Brain
HYD, Hachikuro
Nodame wo Cantabile.
HanaKimi, Yasuko to Kenji
Love Shuffle, Tokyo DOGS
JIN,

Of those, I'm looking for something like romantic and funny like Love Shuffle or Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. Or a good funny light-hearted detective mystery, or something ensemble like Hero.

maupowaa

Post by maupowaa » May 19th, '10, 19:52

You could try VOICE with Eita and Ikuta Toma. They aren't detectives, but I guess you can say they do detective work :P I really liked it, and I think that if you liked Hero you should like this one to..

Then there is Mao but it's not really light-hearted..
Same for Bloody Monday.

For funny/ romantic dramas, you could try Binbo Danshi.. It's not really that romantic, but more about friendship, but it's really good.
Then there is Mei-chan no shitsuji, both funny and romantic <3
Hotaru no hikari is really good to !

maupowaa

Post by maupowaa » May 19th, '10, 20:04

lapzod wrote:I just finished watching Majisuka Gakuen (and loved it), so I guess I'm looking for some shows about Yankii's

Any help would be appreciated!
There is this new drama, yankee-kun to megane-chan. I've only watched the first episodes but I really like it !
I kind of liked Rookies too.
I suppose you've already seen Gokusen.. (the first season is the best, the two others are almost the same thing, just worse students each time.. I liked all three though).
:roll

fly_main

Post by fly_main » May 19th, '10, 20:31

you could try kimi wa petto... but it is an old one ...and with a boyband member.....
And I love Maou and Bloody Monday

But I'm looking for something historical. But I don't want this 40 episode stuff... in my oppinion its just tooo long. (but when someone recomends a really good one.. maybe i'll try..)
I'd like something like JIN .... its the only one i can think of thats abit about history...

Can someone help me? Thank you!

kuroihikari

Post by kuroihikari » May 20th, '10, 08:40

maupowaa wrote:You could try VOICE with Eita and Ikuta Toma. They aren't detectives, but I guess you can say they do detective work :P I really liked it, and I think that if you liked Hero you should like this one to..

Then there is Mao but it's not really light-hearted..
Same for Bloody Monday.

For funny/ romantic dramas, you could try Binbo Danshi.. It's not really that romantic, but more about friendship, but it's really good.
Then there is Mei-chan no shitsuji, both funny and romantic <3
Hotaru no hikari is really good to !
I don't think Bloody Monday and Maou are my type. Do they have comedic moments, or are they too serious?

VOICE sounds like a good idea. Thanks for that. I've seen Mei-chan and didn't like it, but I may look into Binbo Danshi.

@fly_main AH, Kimi wa petto, I guess now would be a good time to see it. Most historical dramas I know are on NHK and in the mornings with lots of episodes, so I don't know about that. But you may want to look into a 2-episode TV-movie called Sengoku Jieitai.

Thanks, guys.

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » May 20th, '10, 09:46

Any story written by Kudo Kankuro strongly recommended:

Kudo Kankuro

* Ryusei no Kizuna (TBS, 2008) - seen 8.5/10
* Mirai Koshi Meguru (TV Asahi, 2008) - no seeder, partially seen 8/10
* Ganges Gawa de Butterfly (TV Asahi, 2007) - seen 8/10
* Tiger & Dragon (TBS, 2005) - seen 9/10
* Manhattan Love Story (TBS, 2003) - seen 9.5/10
* Kisarazu Cat's Eye (TBS, 2002) - seen 9.5/10
* Ikebukuro West Gate Park (TBS, 2000) - can't find

maupowaa

Post by maupowaa » May 20th, '10, 16:56

[quote="kuroihikari"]
I don't think Bloody Monday and Maou are my type. Do they have comedic moments, or are they too serious?

Hmm.. they're probably too serious if you're looking for something funny. Maou is a little lighter than Bloody Monday I xould say, but it's still not a comedy. :P

Theo0607

Post by Theo0607 » May 23rd, '10, 19:51

Hey!!
I`ve watched a lot of dramas but here are my fave:
Buzzer Beat( I actually wanted to watch this drama because of Yamapi but ended up loving the entire story ):cheers:
Gokusen -all of them (MUST SEE!!!):goggle:
Bloody Monday (I started part 2 this week) :thumright:
Kami no shizuku (Now..I adore stories and facts about wine ♥):alcoholic:
Anego(Like in Buzzer Beat...I wanted to see this because of Akanishi Jin but I ended up loving the story) :cheers:
Koizora (Seto Kouji is a candy-boy but the story made me cry for a month or so...I`m a cry baby...I started crying in the second minute of the first episode but I won`t ever forget this drama):cry: :cry: :cry:
Atashinchi no Danshi ( definitely my favorite..comedy plus family story and sooo many toys)
Nobuta wo produce ( this was number 1 until I saw Atashinchi no danshi)
Yukan Club ( Number one before Nobuta :D)
One pound gospel ( love it ♥!!) :wub:
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge (also my favorite...If I had to make a top of dramas... Atashinchi no danshi and Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge would be number one right now) :thumright:
Hanazakari Kimitachi E( another great drama)
Tokyo Dogs ( this was sooo funny ) :lol:
Binbo Danshi ( not that funny as I heard about it but... it is a lovely drama)
Stand Up!!! ( I kinda understand...what boys think now :lol: )
Otomen (Is there a second series to this drama? )
Code blue 1&2 ( If you love medical stories and Yamapi - it`s a must see ) :wub:
Sapuri ( At first I was too jealous to concentrate on the story but I loved it in the end )
Yuuki ( no word for this... I crieeeed a looot and learned a lot from it)
Samurai High School (pretty funny)
As you can see ... I`m a Kamenashi Kazuya-san and Miura Haruma-san fan so I saw most of their dramas.
Here is just a list with those that I really love and I recommend them.
If anyone has something to recommend me...please PM
Ja ne~~
P.S.: I`m new here... Yoroshiku onegai shimasu ^^ :-)

ellensama

Looking for Ninja Jdrama's

Post by ellensama » May 29th, '10, 11:16

Look for any jdrama's that are about ninja's or ninja's play a large role in the show. I'm crazy for ninja's so please recommend away!
Last edited by ellensama on May 30th, '10, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.

Bulykin

Re: Looking for Ninja Jdrama's

Post by Bulykin » May 29th, '10, 17:46

ellensama wrote:Look for any jdrama's that are about ninja's or ninja's play a large role in the show. I'm crazy for ninja's so please recommend away!
Nine Tailed Fox

emmers

Post by emmers » May 29th, '10, 23:15

Favorites:
1. Maou (So sad, but the acting and story are amazing)
2. Hana Yori Dango (Great chemistry, story, and supporting characters)
3. Tatta Hitotsu no Koi (A perfect sweet, innocent love story... mmmm, Kame...)
4. Hana Kimi (Hilarious and LOVE Nakatsu!)
5. Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge (Really funny and started my Kame obsession...)

Pretty Good:
1. Nobuta wo Produce (Wish it would've been more romantic, but the acting and story was amazing)
2. Gokusen (Really funny, but a little too random to be one of my favorites)
3. Kimi wa Petto (Liked the main characters but the supporting characters got on my nerves)

Drama-sama

Really Funny Dramas?

Post by Drama-sama » Jun 1st, '10, 23:38

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking for years and have watched many dramas based on your recommendations to others. I now have a specific request and would really appreciate your help in suggesting some hilarious/humorous dramas. I'm basically looking for dramas that are light hearted with lots of LOL moments. Below are dramas that I've seen, which I consider to be in the 'funny' category (and my rating of how funny they were)

My Boss, My Hero (10/10)
Hotaru no Hikari (9/10)
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (9/10)
Great Teacher Onizuka (8/10)
Densha Otoko (8/10)
Seigi no Mikata (8/10)
Zettai Kareshi (7/10)
Hanazakari (7/10)

Thanks so much for your help!

:D

Bulykin

Re: Really Funny Dramas?

Post by Bulykin » Jun 2nd, '10, 07:49

Drama-sama wrote: I'm basically looking for dramas that are light hearted with lots of LOL moments.
:D
Hana Yori Dango, Boys over Flowers(korean) or Nobuta wo produce... really funny and really dramatic :-)
or the Kekkon Dekinai Otokos korean version The man who can't get married

lulu19

Post by lulu19 » Jun 2nd, '10, 13:24

here is some jdramas i've watched:

bad:
-kami no shizuku (i stopped halfway..quite boring)
-yukan club (meaningless story :[ )

good-ok:
-love shuffle
-gokusen
-ohitorisama
-nobuta wo produce
-hotaru no hikari (romantic comedy..light n entertaining)
-nodame cantabile
-honey and clover
-bambino
-osen (i love gourmet/food-theme drama <3 )
-mei chan no shitsuji (sooo many eyecandiesss..the butlers <3 )

greatt..my fav :) :
-gokusen 2
-code blue 1 & 2
-seigi no mikata (very funny..love the evil sister :D )
-atshinchi no danshi (cute romantic comedy drama..quite boring in the first eps..but getting interesting later on)
-liar game 1 & 2 (love their amazing "bluffing" techniques)
-real clothes
-hana kimi
-hana yori dango
-zettai kareshi :)

Drama-sama

Post by Drama-sama » Jun 3rd, '10, 11:43

Thanks for your input, Buly and Lulu!

I will look into your recommendations :-)

regregreg

Post by regregreg » Jun 5th, '10, 15:19

Hi!

I'm looking for dramas that are similar to Sunao ni narenakute (Hard to say I love you), Last Friends or Love Shuffle!

Basically, I'm looking for mature dramas that are intended more for the adult audience than teenagers. It's okay if they have comedy elements in it, but the story has to deal with some serious subjects (i.e. homosexuality, domestic violence, sexual harasment, bullying, etc...)

Any recommendations? :-)

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Jun 5th, '10, 18:35

Maybe Innocent Love, Bara no nai Hanaya, Orange Days is something for you.

Bulykin

Post by Bulykin » Jun 6th, '10, 09:04

regregreg wrote:Basically, I'm looking for mature dramas that are intended more for the adult audience than teenagers. It's okay if they have comedy elements in it, but the story has to deal with some serious subjects (i.e. homosexuality, domestic violence, sexual harasment, bullying, etc...)

Any recommendations? :-)
Innocent Love, One Million Stars Falling from the Sky

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Jun 6th, '10, 14:23

Bulykin wrote:Innocent Love, One Million Stars Falling from the Sky
One Million Stars Falling from the Sky is heavy stuff. From episodes to episodes you see less hope for the charakter to solve there personal problem.
Secrets were uncovered and explains some actions or start new desasters.
A good drama with no mainstream story. It is like a greek tragedy with no surrenders.

regregreg

Post by regregreg » Jun 6th, '10, 14:41

k361: Thank you!
Bulykin: Köszi!
k361 wrote:One Million Stars Falling from the Sky is heavy stuff. From episodes to episodes you see less hope for the charakter to solve there personal problem.
Secrets were uncovered and explains some actions or start new desasters.
A good drama with no mainstream story. It is like a greek tragedy with no surrenders.
It's okay. I don't mind sad/depressing stuff at all!

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Jun 6th, '10, 18:55

regregreg wrote:
k361 wrote:One Million Stars Falling from the Sky is heavy stuff.
It's okay. I don't mind sad/depressing stuff at all!
I really like some sad/emotional drama like Daisuki! (one of my favorite drama, watch it twice a year), one litre tears or Boku no Aruku Michi. More warm hearted story and not primarly sad.

Last month i watched Seija no Koushin. An old drama about a group of young disabled people and their daily abuse at working place. If you are looking for sexual abuse, bulling and violance by superior. take a closer look. The story focus first on a love relation and later on the working/living conditions of the disabled people.

I like the slow pace of the story in Yasashii Jikan. An unsolved father/son distant relationship.

happy!R

Post by happy!R » Jun 7th, '10, 09:35

Hello,

I wonder if anybody can recommend a show similar to Naka nai tokimeta hi, involving bullying in workplace? Or some heavy stuff bullying with good outcome at the end?

Thanks in advance.

krome

Post by krome » Jun 14th, '10, 03:09

Looking for a drama similar to Iljimae, Bloody Monday, and Kurosagi, with a main (preferably male) character who is a talented criminal, but uses that talent for good.

love-ingdrama

Post by love-ingdrama » Jun 14th, '10, 06:02

Hi!!
I really like funny and psychological drama. I hoping that someone can recommend me a really funny and psychological drama
For funny drama: I already watch Hanakimi(loved it), Atashinchi no Danshi, Hotaru no hikari, My boss my hero(really like it), Papa to Musume no Nanokakan
For psychological drama: I already watch: Liar game 1&2
Thanks!!

sarashina_nikki

Post by sarashina_nikki » Jun 15th, '10, 02:55

Well, I haven't paid any attention to the jdrama industry in a long time, since about the time I watched Nobuta wo Produce while it was airing. So I'd love to hear recs for any great "MUST SEE" dramas that aired in the last few years.

I'm also interested if anyone has recs for good (i.e., not boring) historical jdramas. I watched the Shinsengumi taiga some years ago and really enjoyed that.

As an aside, I'm curious if there are any historical jdrama that include a fantasy element. I mean, China has wuxia and Korea has fusion sageuk, but I can't think of any Japanese equivalents. Are there just not any? Perhaps because that genre is filled by anime and manga instead?

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Jun 15th, '10, 06:45

sarashina_nikki wrote:Well, I haven't paid any attention to the jdrama industry in a long time, since about the time I watched Nobuta wo Produce while it was airing. So I'd love to hear recs for any great "MUST SEE" dramas that aired in the last few years.

I'm also interested if anyone has recs for good (i.e., not boring) historical jdramas. I watched the Shinsengumi taiga some years ago and really enjoyed that.

As an aside, I'm curious if there are any historical jdrama that include a fantasy element. I mean, China has wuxia and Korea has fusion sageuk, but I can't think of any Japanese equivalents. Are there just not any? Perhaps because that genre is filled by anime and manga instead?
I think many people would say JIN is a drama that fits your criteria. It has historical elements, fantasy elements and one of the best dramas in the past year. :thumright:

Nishi

Post by Nishi » Jun 19th, '10, 03:19

Hello, i'm looking for j-dramas about friendship with a bit of comedy and romance, with young characters playing the main roles, trying to pick up girls, and such. Something like Stand Up!, in other words. I'm also looking for school life dramas like LIFE. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Bulykin

Post by Bulykin » Jun 19th, '10, 10:25

Nishi wrote:Hello, i'm looking for j-dramas about friendship with a bit of comedy and romance, with young characters playing the main roles, trying to pick up girls, and such. Something like Stand Up!, in other words. I'm also looking for school life dramas like LIFE. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Home Drama: awesome drama about friendship
Sunao ni Narenakute: romantic drama with young characters playing the main roles, trying to pick up girls, and such :P
Tokyo Friends: romantic comedy about 5 girls, friendship, dreams come true :)

shiranai hito

Post by shiranai hito » Jun 21st, '10, 00:51

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a drama that is comedy/romance type. I don't really prefer those dramas where 1 or a few boys are idolized as the hottest guy ever by a whole school. I've only seen a few dramas and they are..

Love Shuffle (thought it was great because the story had great twists and its still grounded into reality not where there's groupies waiting for 1 person)

Densha Otoko (My first Japanese drama. It was really funny and melodramatic at the same time. The story had a lesson to it)

Nobuta wo Produce (I liked the friendships between the main characters and their ambition. Ending could have been better though.)

Liar Game 1&2 (Great story and mind games. Kept me wanting more after each episode.)