[Discussion] Tsuki no Koibito

Discuss Japanese drama series here.

Who do you want Rensuke (Kimura Takuya) to end up with?

Maemi (Shinohara Ryoko)
53%
Xiu Mei (Lin Chiling)
25%
Kazami (Matsuda Shota)
8%
Nobody
5%
I don't care
9%

Total votes: 278

bruin10

Post by bruin10 » May 14th, '10, 00:42

Can someone explain what exactly the company was doing wrong that made Xiu Mei run away near the end? Or did they not go into that? I watched it with the Oh Smap subs and it seems kind of vague or maybe I missed something. Not blaming the subbers, just curious.

Thanks!
Last edited by bruin10 on May 14th, '10, 05:16, edited 1 time in total.

Lady Zhuge

Post by Lady Zhuge » May 14th, '10, 01:35

stolenxkisses wrote:Abe Tsuyoshi's Chinese is fantastic! Though his is just a small character, I really loved listening to the parts where he was speaking. His spoken Chinese gives me such a delicious shivery sort of feeling, and even though his character is not a very sympathetic one, you start to feel for the reasons behind the way he behaves.
I'd expect his Chinese to be good considering he's half Chinese, was born and raised for a significant number of years in China, attended school there, and is married to a Chinese woman.

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » May 14th, '10, 02:27

bruin10 wrote:Can someone explain what exactly the company was doing wrong that made Xiu Mei run away near the end? Or did they not go into that? I watched it with the Oh Smap subs and it seems kind of vague or maybe I missed something. Not blaming the subbers, just curious.

Thanks!
There was a scene where Sai Kazami (Matsuda Shota) was seen giving money and basically "doing business" with the people who terrorized Xiu Mei (Lin Chi-Ling). This implied that Regolith was behind the eviction of Xiu Mei and her mother from their home.

Xiu Mei eventually found out about this because Ming (Abe Tsuyoshi) happened to witness the transaction in the restaurant and told Xiu Mei about it, prompting Xiu Mei to run away when she realized that she had been deceived by Rensuke (Kimura Takuya).

bruin10

Post by bruin10 » May 14th, '10, 05:21

^Thank you, guess I should be paying closer attention :lol

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » May 14th, '10, 06:03

bruin10 wrote:^Thank you, guess I should be paying closer attention :lol
:D You're welcome! I'm with you actually. It took me a second viewing before I even realised it. :P The hotness of the cast was just so distracting. :wub:

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » May 14th, '10, 09:36

yanie wrote:After watching it for the 2nd time...

What if the reason why some of us didn't feel Kimura and Chiling's chemistry is because....
Rensuke IS really just "using" Xiu Mei. He has no good intention at all for her. He doesn't has feelings at all for her. Thus, we don't feel anything between them. That's how it suppose to be.
I hope so!
isn't it obvious? I mean the relationship between Runuske & Xiu Mei..where is all the talk and fuss about not knowing who's Runuske will end up with? and judging from ep1 and the preview of the next episode it seems that they are pushing Runuske X Xiu Mei pairing...I think they are doing that so the audience will think that he will end up with her but he will not (I hope so)..because I feel that Runuske X Xiu pairing just doesn't feel right :nuts: I'm sure that most of the audience shares the same feeling toward them..

maybe it will be like Long Vacation
where Sena was in love or thought that he was in love with Ryoko till half of the drama than he realized his love for Minami

yanie wrote:To think of it.... Rensuke listens to....
...Maemi. He doesn't listen to anyone else except Maemi. He can only rely on Maemi. We can see it in scenes like when she was telling him to talk to Xiu Mei in the restaurant. Or when Rensuke begged her to stay.
It might not have enough focus yet, but I feel that the story will focus on Rensuke & Maemi later.
Maemi is the only person who knows Rensuke well. The way he gave her the bottle and she gave him the stickers, was like a custom already for them. Maemi told her assistants to get the ladder even before Rensuke asked. And when Rensuke asked her by mouthing "ladder" towards her, she made a "yeah I know, they're coming" face, and he was kinda startled abt that. She also know that he was going to say, "Take off the fabrics!" even before he said it, and she said it before he did.

And did anyone notice how both Rensuke and Maemi can swing the hammer in the same way? :roll

I also love how he cheated her, "there's no one else who can design this stool but you, you're the one who give this amenbo quiz anyway,". and then in the next morning... "this is great,", "yeah well... I don't have any rivals though,", "you had...many of them,", "you mean you've ordered the design from other designers too??", "mmh...", "mmh...? you can lie with such a calm face, huh...".
It means he already received the design from other designers but he wants Maemi to do it for him, still.

That sad expression at the end in her eyes was not jealousy, but it was more because she know Rensuke is doing something not right again just to achieve his goal... that is to "use" Xiu Mei. In synopsis and interview, they have quite emphasized that Hazuki Rensuke is a character who will do anything to achieve his goal. And Kimura Takuya said he hates this character, he cannot be friends with him, if he exist in real life^^

When Xiu Mei asked whether it is okay to believe Rensuke, Maemi didn't immediately answer and kinda hesitate, exactly (maybe) because of that.

Rensuke and Maemi had a "history", that's for sure. I'm guessing they have loved each other, but something hold them back that they were never together, in the end. And just stay friends. So far, to me, seem like Rensuke shows a little bit of his yasashii side only in front of Maemi^^
Well... anyway, for me, it's RENSUKE X MAEMI, FTW!!! :cheers:

Yeah they kept emphasizing that Runuske's character is not "good natured" but I see him as a good person..maybe the following episodes will tell as more?
I really hope that he will end up with Meami..there is something about this couple..how they looked at each other in the restaurant..specially how Meami kept looking at him..it's obvious that she loves him and it seems that Runuske has feelings for her too but maybe he didn't realize it yet? :roll I think I'll be very dissapointed if he ended up with Xie Mei =.=

fleng

Post by fleng » May 14th, '10, 12:58

and thats why he's the King of Dorama and Maemi is so Hot :) .

Jaja

Post by Jaja » May 14th, '10, 13:30

I really would like to see this drama but I prefer with english subs.

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » May 14th, '10, 13:50

Jaja wrote:I really would like to see this drama but I prefer with english subs.
:-) transian has generously provided subs in the post here: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_84963_30.htm

Oh SMAP! Subs has also uploaded soft subs and hardsubbed episode(s) on their Livejournal Community. You just have to join it and you'll be able to download it. :lol

stolenxkisses

Post by stolenxkisses » May 14th, '10, 17:36

Lady Zhuge wrote:
stolenxkisses wrote:Abe Tsuyoshi's Chinese is fantastic! Though his is just a small character, I really loved listening to the parts where he was speaking. His spoken Chinese gives me such a delicious shivery sort of feeling, and even though his character is not a very sympathetic one, you start to feel for the reasons behind the way he behaves.
I'd expect his Chinese to be good considering he's half Chinese, was born and raised for a significant number of years in China, attended school there, and is married to a Chinese woman.
Some people would be surprised at how little that could mean ;)
yanie wrote:What if the reason why some of us didn't feel Kimura and Chiling's chemistry is because....
Rensuke IS really just "using" Xiu Mei. He has no good intention at all for her. He doesn't has feelings at all for her. Thus, we don't feel anything between them. That's how it suppose to be.
I thought this was an excellent reading of their dynamics. You're absolutely right. This makes much more sense than 'sudden fatal attraction' to Xiu Mei and her dipping her finger into the water and the amenbo.
Love Angel wrote:
isn't it obvious? I mean the relationship between Runuske & Xiu Mei..where is all the talk and fuss about not knowing who's Runuske will end up with? and judging from ep1 and the preview of the next episode it seems that they are pushing Runuske X Xiu Mei pairing...I think they are doing that so the audience will think that he will end up with her but he will not (I hope so)..because I feel that Runuske X Xiu pairing just doesn't feel right I'm sure that most of the audience shares the same feeling toward them..
I just hope they don't suddenly up the chemistry in the later episodes and make us all confused ;) 7 episodes, that's got to count for something. Some really quick plot progression needs to be in store.

I like your interpretation of the relationships between the characters though. I'm going to stick to this interpretation while we watch the next 6 episodes.

What are all your thoughts on Matsuda Shota's character, though? That seems to be more of a grey area.

Am I the only one who thinks he could possibly wind up with Shinohara Ryoko's character instead of Kimura's?

nnnc

Post by nnnc » May 14th, '10, 19:12

stolenxkisses wrote: What are all your thoughts on Matsuda Shota's character, though? That seems to be more of a grey area.

Am I the only one who thinks he could possibly wind up with Shinohara Ryoko's character instead of Kimura's?
He's like mini-Hazuki Rensuke :mrgreen:
I still think he has some connection with Xiu Mei, probably is her brother/step-brother. He admires Ren-san and has the same ambition. I think Maemi knows and understand Rensuke ~ the human the most, while Kazami knows and understand Ren-san~the cutthroat businessman the most. He reminds me of a character in an HK drama, who starts off as a nice apprentice of a rich and powerful man but later turns evil and take everything away from the mentor
I don't think he will end up with Maemi, but his possible relationship with her could finally makes Rensuke realize and see Maemi as a woman rather than a buddy. Kazami could end up with
Yuzuki though, giving his aforementioned ambition. She is the only daughter of the no.1 firm anyway.

citrone

Post by citrone » May 14th, '10, 20:11

I think we are missing the most probable ending. NO PAIRS AT ALL!

They may let the rest od the ep to emphasize how all these people
will mature over their relations! Which I totally hope not!

Lady Zhuge

Post by Lady Zhuge » May 14th, '10, 21:32

stolenxkisses wrote:
Lady Zhuge wrote:
Some people would be surprised at how little that could mean ;)?
If it were just one or two of the above criteria (depending on which one or ones), yes, but not so much when it's all of the above. :whistling:
citrone wrote:I think we are missing the most probable ending. NO PAIRS AT ALL!

I think you're going to be 1/3rd or 2/3rds right. :lol

stolenxkisses

Post by stolenxkisses » May 15th, '10, 04:22

Lady Zhuge wrote:
stolenxkisses wrote:
Lady Zhuge wrote:
Some people would be surprised at how little that could mean ;)?
If it were just one or two of the above criteria (depending on which one or ones), yes, but not so much when it's all of the above. :whistling:
LOL, my brother meets all the criteria and his Chinese is still FAIL ;) Anyway, totally off-topic already! ;)
nnnc wrote:
I still think he has some connection with Xiu Mei, probably is her brother/step-brother.
Oh, this is interesting! How did you draw this conclusion? I also like the analysis of him as mini-Rensuke, though I think his character is rather different from Kimura's. A little more humanity, perhaps? And I'm warming up to him a great deal.
I think it would be a let-down for viewers, because I think the majority of viewers who watch Kimura Takuya dramas do it to live vicariously through the female character. One of the female characters, at least. Which means there'll need to be some form of resolution in this area, even if it's to watch him end up with someone that wasn't your first choice. The writer probably has a vested interest in this too.

My two cents' ;)

annie_chan

Post by annie_chan » May 15th, '10, 06:27

Well, considering this drama's genre is Romance and it's KimuTaku's first Romance drama since Long Vacation, it's kinda impossible for them to have no pairs at all :D

(You may say Pride is his best Romance drama ever, but in the description box, Pride is not classified as Romance. It's Human and Sport - It's true though, because although the Romance story line is strong, the main thing about Pride is to show Halu's involvement with those in his sport team and how he get out of his painful past with Aki and then falls in love with her - Sorry off-topic :P)

nnnc

Post by nnnc » May 15th, '10, 06:53

stolenxkisses wrote:
nnnc wrote:
I still think he has some connection with Xiu Mei, probably is her brother/step-brother.
Oh, this is interesting! How did you draw this conclusion? I also like the analysis of him as mini-Rensuke, though I think his character is rather different from Kimura's. A little more humanity, perhaps? And I'm warming up to him a great deal.
I think his interaction with Xiu Mei is a bit suspicious. He doesn't have to be this harsh to her. He knew Ren-san is using her by trying to make her happy so it doesn't make sense to me why Kazami had to treat her like that. I sensed anger and resentment. Then there is a known fact that he is a Chinese, born(?) and raised in Japan. She has a father who went to Japan and never came back. Probably when Kazami did his research on Xiu Mei for Ren-san, he found out about her family and knew that they had the same father. That's why he doesn't like her. Even when he treated her badly, Kazami stood up and was about to tell Yuzuki off when Yuzuki laughed at and made fun of Xiu Mei. (but Maemi threw the hammer first, that was so AWESOME :salut: ) He could just ignore it because his work was just to observe. It seemed that he didn't like her so why bother getting annoyed
I think there is a reason why the writer had him as a Chinese. It won't change anything if Ren-san's right-hand man is just a Japanese guy who can speak Chinese unless there might be something going on with his identity.
annie_chan wrote:Well, considering this drama's genre is Romance and it's KimuTaku's first Romance drama since Long Vacation, it's kinda impossible for them to have no pairs at all
Actually, this is his first Romance drama after Beautiful Life in 2001. It was said so (and hyped up) in the drama's first official announcement. Between Long Vacation and Beautiful Life, there was also Love Generation, which is a full blown Romance drama as well.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 15th, '10, 14:13

Screencaps gallery dedicated to Ninomiya Maemi (Shinohara Ryoko) ^_^
http://yanie02.livejournal.com/99920.html

Btw, does anyone have thoughts abt how the amenbo(water bugs) related to the story? The "four coins" quiz is the tagline for the novel too, so it must be symbolizing one of the character or might be symbolizing the OTP.

Maemi talked abt how water bugs are environment indicators and Xiu Mei said when there are water bugs, there is happiness.

But I still can't figure out the relation/relevance of water bugs with any of the characters or story XD

Lady Zhuge

Post by Lady Zhuge » May 15th, '10, 20:40

stolenxkisses wrote:LOL, my brother meets all the criteria and his Chinese is still FAIL ;) Anyway, totally off-topic already! ;)
Lol, that's sad. A friend of mine only meets one of the criteria and speaks Chinese very well.

I have a hard time understanding Shota's Chinese - since Abe Tsuyoshi speaks both Chinese and Japanese well, I think he would have been a more convincing Kazumi.

After watching the first episode, I agree with most people that there's a lack of chemistry between KimuTaku and Lin Chiling. Plus I feel like their characters and storyline are so cliche. All that's missing are the ugly step sisters and fairy godmother. Lin Chiling's Taiwanese accent bothers me too - I'd rather hear her speak more Japanese.

crazypilovee

Post by crazypilovee » May 15th, '10, 21:17

raven_frost wrote:
seirin wrote:I'm not impressed with the first episode. Sunare seems to be more interesting. The chemistry doesn't seem to be working here. And yea...Lin Chi Ling's character is annoying. I guess I can understand why her Japanese is bad since her character only learned for a short time in China and doesn't have practice but I still don't like her. I don't get the ending with the sexy modeling poses like she's selling sex rather than furniture. Females are furniture? The story so far seems to lack substance.

There was lots of screen time for Lin Chiling. I didn't like her way of portraying the emotions of her character. And too much cavorting around the furniture for me to stomach. I just fast forwarded. What was the whole point of that scene? Sensationlism to draw media attention? If I were the factory workers I would have felt insulted and humiliated on Xiu Mei's behalf.

And I also thought that Kimura Takuya could have tried to play Rensuke as a more complex character but his expressions and mannerisms are so typical of other dramas he's been in. So Rensuke ends up flat ...I don't buy the Rensuke as president of a company that's going to overtake another company to be number one in the industry.
while kimura's character does seem similar to his other roles, i still love it haha cuz well i just love his general acting personality loll....
but still if i were to just look at this drama alone i would think his character's done well b/c i can sense this tough/manipulating/cool guy but also glimpses of his softer side. altho right now he does seem like a total jerk since he uses everyone lol..
i thought there were romantic feelings b/wn xiumei and rensuke. altho rensuke takes interest in her mainly for business reasons, it seems like something about her has caught his attention and it may turn into real affection. the scene where he hugged her tightly.. i thought it was really romantic! i like the love/hate relationship loll
right after i finished ep1 i thought xiumei & rensuke were gonna end up together, but reading other ppl's comments maemi/rensuke does sound very plausible as well.. also xiumei's background character doesnt seem to match rensuke's very well so i can't see them ending up together in that respect (unless something's revealed about her dad)

i feel like xiumei's gonna fall for rensuke (if she hasn't already) and rensuke might fall for her too but then change his mind and go to maemi or something.. ahh that would suck for xiumei cuz i can just see her holding on to him since she's so naive/innocent and all..

anyways, i think who rensuke'll end up w/ is still very much up in the air.. (well not yuzuki it's obvious he's only using her for attention, and if he were to really marry her for business reasons then he's really a HORRIBLE person not worthy as a main character)

also, i just wanted to comment on how i thought htey depicted chinese ppl and shanghai pretty negatively loll.... iono they mostly showed dirty/broken down sides of shanghai n ppl who're like gangsters/cross-dressers/impulsive rioters -.-

lvtk

Post by lvtk » May 16th, '10, 01:23

I agree with crazypilovee that Kimura has done very well about his character. I watched him as Rensuke, not as Kimura or his previous works. His eyes showed much about his manipulation when he looked at Xiumei. On the other hand, I saw his softed heart when he looked at Maemi. Last scene with his smile was amazing. I really enjoyed Kimura and Shinohara's performance. Their eyes contact to each other is excellent.

BTW..just my personal opinon.

gaurisharma

Post by gaurisharma » May 16th, '10, 03:29

okay...i for one would be very disappointed if shinohara and kimura's characters did not end up together...even tho there does seem to be more of a storyline b/w xiu mei and rensuke rite now....

and shota's character...what is he up to????

nell123

Post by nell123 » May 16th, '10, 06:59

After watching ep.1 with and without subs all I can say is:

1. Shinohara Ryoko: awesome. I never had any doubts that the woman is an excellent actress. Even if she is paired with not so good actors she can make the scenes work.
2. Kimutaku: not impressive. I never understood the hype about this guy. Seriously. He is really good looking but not much of an actor. Always plays these cold, strong and silent types in every drama I've seen him in. It's ok if the actress alongside him is good and helps him play the scenes properly (like Ryoko) but if she's not (Chiling), things don't look so good. If they intend to make Rensuke and Xiumei the main couple 50% of the drama might be a bit hard to bear.
3. Lin Chiling: not impressive. I've seen her only in the Red Cliff movie and she didn't leave good impressions. The same here. The way she talks bothers me for some reason. I don't know why.
4. Matsuda Shota & Kitagawa Keiko: ok. I can't say more because they had too little screen time. I hope too see them more in the future.

I have to agree that the story and the characters don't look particularly interesting at the moment but I think things will change in the later episodes.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 16th, '10, 08:49

Kimura in WUS last Friday night, cleared up that ending scene in Ep1.
He received fax from a fan, "I watched first episode together with my friend. Regarding Rensuke's smile at the end. My friend thought it was a sincere smile that means Rensuke is sincerely happy for Xiu Mei too and my friend thought 'So Rensuke is a good guy afterall!'. But I thought it was more of a slicky/cunning smile, because Rensuke suceed in getting what he wanted. Which one of us is true?".

Kimura said in the script for that part, it was written Rensuke chuckles(snickers?). "So yes, you're right, it was a cunning smile. But if your friend thought 'So Rensuke is a good guy afterall', then I guess I didn't perform the acting well. I guess I didn't act him that well, naa..."

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » May 16th, '10, 09:01

Has anyone else noticed that Kitagawa Keiko had the unprecedented courage to appear without any make up (the scene with her Dad at home with that humongous plasma TV) ?

I think that it is such a genius move : she had to do something unusual for her to stand out from this impressive gathering of huge stars.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 16th, '10, 09:51

She went 'no-makeup' as well in Buzzer Beat a couple of times^^

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » May 16th, '10, 10:17

Tadanga wrote:Has anyone else noticed that Kitagawa Keiko had the unprecedented courage to appear without any make up (the scene with her Dad at home with that humongous plasma TV) ?

I think that it is such a genius move : she had to do something unusual for her to stand out from this impressive gathering of huge stars.
^agreed. It adds so much realism to her character too.
I quite like her in here actually despite the fact that she's like the antagonist, making use of Rensuke's position for her own fame.

I absolutely LOVE how Ryoko is portraying Maemi too! Her facial reactions are excellent. And there's definitely some kind of history btw Rensuke and her too. Are they childhood friends? And she's the one who actually popped the question about the coins thingy to him right? And how come Rensuke acts as if he's got some kind of memory loss or sth and can't remember...the past. HE looks really lost at some scenes in the 1st ep.

And I do agree that so far, Rensuke is not shining like he's supposed to be since he's the main. There's sth about the way Kimura is acting him...something is lacking. For now the girls seem to be surpassing both actors in terms of portrayal and character development. The chinese actress is getting a lot of scenes too, major major advancement, which we don't get to see happening with the rest of the casts.

So I hope things will start to unfold and we'll get to finally see why Rensuke is the way he is. He can't be cold-hearted the whole way through. Maemi should know his weak points. :P

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 16th, '10, 11:26

avieamber wrote:
I quite like her in here actually despite the fact that she's like the antagonist, making use of Rensuke's position for her own fame.
Actually it's the other way around. Yuzuki (K.Keiko) loves Rensuke sincerely. Rensuke is the one who's taking advantage of her. I can actually see Rensuke seriously considering marrying Yuzuki just so he can achieve his goal.
avieamber wrote:
I absolutely LOVE how Ryoko is portraying Maemi too! Her facial reactions are excellent. And there's definitely some kind of history btw Rensuke and her too. Are they childhood friends?
Not since childhood. Just college friends^^

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » May 16th, '10, 14:48

After watching it with subs and being able to properly understand what's going on, I have to agree with lvtk and crazypilovee. I think that Kimura has done an excellent job in his portrayal of Hazuki Rensuke. Rensuke is so different from all his other characters. He's nothing like the hot-headed, passionate and blunt Hajime Shinkai from "Good Luck!!" or the self-assured and just Kuryu Kouhei from "Hero" or even the introverted and awkward Hidetoshi Sena from "Long Vacation".

I think the reason why his acting controlled and distant is because that's how Hazuki Rensuke is. He is cold, harsh and despicable. He is ruthless, ambitious, manipulative and has no qualms about using others to further is own ambitions.
In the catwalk scene, you can literally see the flow of thoughts as he scruitinizes Xiu Mei, judges the reaction of the audience to this new symbol of Regolith and then hides a smile at his own success (his smile was both breathtaking and chilling; breathtaking because it was perhaps the first sign of true emotion from Rensuke, but chilling because there was nothing pure about it).
At this point, he's not emotionally invested in anything, except his own ambitions.

But just when you think he is unredeemable, he shows a softer side to him.
Maemi. It's always with Maemi. :lol
The thing I love about Kimura's portrayal here is that he manages to soften Rensuke's disposition and hints that there is more to Rensuke without breaking out of character. He's still a complete bastard and an utter jerk, but he is also human. It takes two people to make a good connection, and I think the reason why the emotional chemistry just sizzles between Maemi and Rensuke is because both actor and actress connect really well without out-acting each other. With just simple glances and eye contact, both of them convey the depth of their relationship that comes from being college/university friends and knowing each other really well.

I'm on the fence when it comes to Xiu Mei. On one hand,
I do agree that the relationship she has with Rensuke lacks the emotional chemistry that the Maemi/Rensuke pairing has. And, as mentioned, I also agree that it might be because Rensuke is merely using her, and twisting her own desires to further his ambitions.
On the other hand,
I think that the the sexual attraction between them just sizzles. The way Rensuke stares at Xiu Mei on the catwalk; its as if he were undressing her with his eyes. He may not love her, but there are signs that he might "desire" her.
Their relationship just fascinates me because it is so dysfunctional yet it also has the potential to become a really good romantic relationship depending on their respective personalities.

Of course, everything might change in the next episodes. :P

BTW, these are all just personal opinions, and I mean no offense to anyone. :-)

AiaNP

Post by AiaNP » May 16th, '10, 17:51

Well, I think that it makes sense for the first episode to be quite XiuMei-centric since they are in Shanghai and have to introduce her situation. I feel that if the writers toned down her appearances in the opening episode, it would feel too rushed, wouldn't it? I feel that the opening episode worked well as an introduction....but I really am hoping that in the subsequent episodes there will be more balance among the characters.

As for Kimura's depiction of Rensuke in the 1st ep, I think he did an okay job. He may not have been too dynamic, but his character is also someone who doesn't show his true emotions (unless that emotion is frustration... :roll ) I also hope that the later episodes will allow him to show more depth for his character... When the show becomes more dependent on love/relationships, it will be interesting to see how Rensuke will react..... :-)

Well, let's see what happens in episode 2, shall we?

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » May 16th, '10, 18:52

stolenxkisses wrote:
What are all your thoughts on Matsuda Shota's character, though? That seems to be more of a grey area.

Matsuda's character is rather mysterious..even though he didn't appear much but whenever he looks at Renuske..there is something about those glances :roll
like in the party when he was looking at him

well I may be reading too much into it xD

about his relationship with Meami..he may have a thing for her but as someone said earlier..I think that he may end up with Yuzuk

yanie wrote:Kimura in WUS last Friday night, cleared up that ending scene in Ep1.
He received fax from a fan, "I watched first episode together with my friend. Regarding Rensuke's smile at the end. My friend thought it was a sincere smile that means Rensuke is sincerely happy for Xiu Mei too and my friend thought 'So Rensuke is a good guy afterall!'. But I thought it was more of a slicky/cunning smile, because Rensuke suceed in getting what he wanted. Which one of us is true?".

Kimura said in the script for that part, it was written Rensuke chuckles(snickers?). "So yes, you're right, it was a cunning smile. But if your friend thought 'So Rensuke is a good guy afterall', then I guess I didn't perform the acting well. I guess I didn't act him that well, naa..."
after second viewing..yeah it seemed that he didn't smile bcz he was "happy" for her..

he arranged all the thing with her grandmother and tricked her, plus those men hit her =.=
he forced her into working with him by threatening her (by the money he owned her)
so yeah I don't think that after all what he did that he will be happy for her in that opening ceremony..he was rather happy for himself.

her when he left his head up, it feels like he was relieved that the whole thing was a success and according to his plan that's the very reason behind that smile

and maybe that's why Meami was looking at him and Xie Mei like that..not because she is jealous as someone mentioned but because she is not approving the ways he is handling things and that he is using people for his own benefit...and in the next episode preview..she did say to him that
"I don't like the way you do business"

and me too...I love Kimura's acting..each time I see him in a drama I feel that it is whole different character he is portraying, no similarities..there is a certain charm into his acting :roll

The 2nd episode is airing tomorrow..hope that it will be a good one!

btw..is it confirmed that this drama has 7 episodes only?

stolenxkisses

Post by stolenxkisses » May 17th, '10, 06:36

yanie wrote:But I still can't figure out the relation/relevance of water bugs with any of the characters or story XD
LOL! It's probably just one of those "inconspicuous yet holds a lot of meaning for the main characters" examples ;) From experience, J-dramas really like doing this. Added bonus because it's poetic and holds Deep Meaning -- that thing about finding happiness where you find water bugs, because of all the clarity in water, you know. So maybe the characters are water bugs -- trying to find love and happiness. Which is ironic, because they'll never find it in Shanghai -- as shown in the drama, the waters there are really polluted.

"What do you see?" -- why are Rensuke, Xiu Mei and Maemi the only ones who can see it? (As a side, it makes me annoyed that Xiu Mei naturally knew the answer. :cussing: I guess I'm already biased against her :lol)

About Kazami:
nnnc wrote:I think there is a reason why the writer had him as a Chinese. It won't change anything if Ren-san's right-hand man is just a Japanese guy who can speak Chinese unless there might be something going on with his identity.

That's a great observation. When he mentioned that he was Chinese, I thought it was a bit like -- he's Chinese, but he's going against his own roots because he was raised in Japan. Which could actually be a great social commentary.
AiaNP wrote:Well, I think that it makes sense for the first episode to be quite XiuMei-centric since they are in Shanghai and have to introduce her situation. I feel that if the writers toned down her appearances in the opening episode, it would feel too rushed, wouldn't it? I feel that the opening episode worked well as an introduction....but I really am hoping that in the subsequent episodes there will be more balance among the characters.
I really hope you're right! :) I look forward to having more Maemi/Kazami interaction.
Iris Zephyr wrote:The thing I love about Kimura's portrayal here is that he manages to soften Rensuke's disposition and hints that there is more to Rensuke without breaking out of character. He's still a complete bastard and an utter jerk, but he is also human. It takes two people to make a good connection, and I think the reason why the emotional chemistry just sizzles between Maemi and Rensuke is because both actor and actress connect really well without out-acting each other. With just simple glances and eye contact, both of them convey the depth of their relationship that comes from being college/university friends and knowing each other really well.
Wow. You've expressed it so well -- I agree completely. I thought Kimura did a great job with the smile at the end, though -- it did read creepily to me. Though I agree with what someone else said about there being some degree of sexual attraction between the Rensuke and Xiu Mei..

Still loving Shinohara Ryoko's portrayal, though. How did I never notice how awesome she was?

f4ever

Post by f4ever » May 17th, '10, 09:14

i happen to see this drama promotion and find it interesting so i decided to watch it... takuya kimura definately acted well in this drama. No images of the past characters he acted in this... as for Lin Chi Ling and Shinohara ryoko...i havent seen any of their actings yet...

Shinohara ryoko - a good actress that uses eyes to act... her movements in body gestures to eyes to eyebrows...excellent..can tell wad she is doing even though no words are spoken from her.

Lin Chi Ling - consider her as a model born actress, is not bad in her acting. crying scene is abit fake have to admit...but overall she did her job well as Xiu Mei...

as for you all said takuya has more chemistry with ryoko than chi ling in the first episode..maybe is becos takuya knew ryoko since high school where as Chi Ling knew him only from the factory...therefore taku and ryoko chemistry is more becos they have to act that they knew each other so well from younger times

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 17th, '10, 13:20

Waaaaiiii~~~ LOVED EP2!!! TERRIFIC! :thumright: Definitely better than first ep. Rensuke's true nature is revealed more and now I can see where the story is going. Everything is getting clearer.

And I love how the atmosphere is getting more and more like LONG VACATION.
Now I understand what the whole "adult romance" fuss is about^^
As always, Maemi is phenomenal. I love her office. Love her scenes with her assistants. Love her scenes with Rensuke.... there's this sense of familiarity and comfort when they're together ^_^ Oh, shacho holding the guitar in the office when he was discussing the designs with Maemi?? Awesome!! It really looks like they're discussing club activity in college, haha.

Rensuke-Xiumei's plot is terrific. It started in a romantic way and turned out.... whaaaa... didn't expect that! Rensuke hidoi!!
I'd like to see how their story ends. But if they really end up together, I wouldn't like that. Because I just can't see love between them. It's obvious that Xiumei is starting her revenge now.

I love how Maemi suppose herself as the fairy godmother^^
"Once the fairy godmother swing her magic wand, Cinderella will fly away to The Prince,"
Well, I want the prince and the fairy godmother to end up together!!! XD

Yuzuki-chan! Love her more and more! Rensuke-Yuzuki and the car scene was my favorite scene tonight. "Well, in any case, just get on," (then Rensuke just drive the car leaving her behind) "Mada nottenai kedo!(I haven't get on, y'know!)". She's sooo cute!!! And next episode is Rensuke-Yuzuki's date in the zoo! Can't wait!

And the most dokidoki part for me was Rensuke-Kazami's eye contact in the first scene! Heeee.... why is that??? haha~

I also really love Maemi-Xiumei's scenes together. They remind me of Minami(Yamaguchi Tomoko)-Ryoko(Matsu Takako) in Long Vacation^^ Plus the two bald men really make the scenes livelier, heehee....

Rensuke-Xiumei's kiss... well, it looked like they're kissing a dead fish... but it was okay, haha.

The only disappointment for me in this ep, there wasn't any revelation/flashback on Rensuke-Maemi's past. Zannen. But I'll be patient abt that^^
Before the drama start, I had almost zero expectation for this drama. After I watched Ep1, it was so-so good, I thought. But Ep2 really DID IT!

Asano Taeko-sensei, thank you for writing such a good plotline for the drama :salut:

Captured this from the website:

Omoshiroi :-)

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » May 17th, '10, 14:10

In my case it was a let down. I watched this drama solely for Ryoko and the way they make her like a side character doesn't make it to me D: Ryoko's acting is flawless but her character is atm so under-developed. As I suspected, ep2 still focus on Chi Ling, and probably in next few eps too with the direction the story goes now. I feel like only her plot moves forwards the rest just stand at the same place. well sure it's just 2 eps, but in Long Vacation even though Sena liked someone else at 1st, we still could feel the closeness/compatibility between him and Minami. Ok it's not right to compare ,Rensuke is nothing like Sena ^^, lol Just to say, despite the chemistry between Rensuke & Maemi I think it's still so unclear if it's gonna get anywhere. Atm, I can only see Maemi there observing/supporting Rensuke (as she always does) and on other hand helping Shu Mei. If so, I don't see the point for me to continue this drama. Maybe I'll just wait till it ends (there're only 7eps right?) or till s/o tells me there's a turn of event.. hey

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » May 17th, '10, 14:35

I am sooooo loving this drama! :w00t: My impressions of Ep02 might change after I watch it properly with subs, but at this moment
Rensuke/Xiu Mei is pure awesomeness! :w000t: Superficially, they make such a beautiful couple and the sexual tension between them is just XD . On a deeper level, the complexity, twistedness and utter craziness in their relationship just puts all other pairings to shame! ROFL!
On a side note, I'm still loving the comfortable emotional connection between Rensuke/Maemi, and Rensuke/Yuzuki is just sooooo adorable~ :wub:

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » May 17th, '10, 14:43

Hah. What an ending to Ep2. It just fell flat to me even though it was supposed, I guess, to be breathtaking.
Now Rensuke and Xiu Mei are both trying to manipulate each other, I wonder who will end up hurt in this twisted game.
It is good that Hazuki Rensuke is a different type of character from Kimura Takuya's recent string of characters. The only problem is that he just cannot pull it off. I don't know why I'm suddenly thinking of Tsutsumi Shinichi and Kusanagi Tsuyoshi in Koi ni Ochitara, but that's at least what I'd call decent to good acting. That's how to play bad.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 17th, '10, 14:45

Nomanymore wrote:In my case it was a let down. I watched this drama solely for Ryoko and the way they make her like a side character doesn't make it to me D: Ryoko's acting is flawless but her character is atm so under-developed.
Just to say, despite the chemistry between Rensuke & Maemi I think it's still so unclear if it's gonna get anywhere.
THAT would be the unexpected part of this drama :roll
I have faith in RensukeXMaemi^^

And actually Maemi gets screentime as much as Rensuke and Xiumei has, in Ep2. It may not feel so, perhaps bcoz like you said, the story focuses more on Xiumei.

But, for me, the fact that it was always overlapping between Rensuke-Xiumei scenes and Maemi alone scenes must mean something :roll

Nomanymore wrote:Maybe I'll just wait till it ends (there're only 7eps right?) or till s/o tells me there's a turn of event.. hey
That was only a rumor. Not confirmed yet. I hope it's not true :cry:

I'm hoping for 12 eps now so they can develop Maemi and Yuzuki's characters more :-)
As for Kazami, I'm very, very, very sure he will get alot of focus in later eps :whistling:

f4ever

Post by f4ever » May 17th, '10, 15:15

where you all watch episode 2?

nnnc

Post by nnnc » May 17th, '10, 15:40

f4ever wrote:where you all watch episode 2?

It hasn't been uploaded yet. But I watched it live on keyhole.

f4ever

Post by f4ever » May 17th, '10, 15:52

is really making my heart to itch while waiting weekly...btw anyone know the title of the background music? i love it but unable to find it online

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » May 17th, '10, 18:04

Kinda disappointed Ryoko seem like 2nd to Chi Ling. I like Kumutaku but am purely watching this for Ryoko Shinohara. If there's really gona be only 7 eps, then i feel sad for Ryoko who seem to be more a supporting role only here. In fact i'm really surprised how the story so far seem to revolve so much around Chi Ling instead of Ryoko ... not good but i'll keep my fingers crossed for Ryoko to have more showtime and storyline in upcoming eps.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 18th, '10, 00:21

Ratings for Ep2
Kanto - 19.2%
Kansai - 13.5%

dramaddex

Post by dramaddex » May 18th, '10, 07:28

yanie wrote:Waaaaiiii~~~ LOVED EP2!!! TERRIFIC! :thumright: Definitely better than first ep. Rensuke's true nature is revealed more and now I can see where the story is going. Everything is getting clearer.

And I love how the atmosphere is getting more and more like LONG VACATION.
Now I understand what the whole "adult romance" fuss is about^^

are you sure that it's heading towards rensuke and maemi? Even though I havent watched ep 2 yet, i have a feeling that the script writer's toying with us. That's why it was said that the plot's unpredictable. I think they want you to be believe that rensuke and maemi will end up together because they have a history, but they will not, probably. Besides, each episode title is based on the relationship between rensuke and shuumei:
ep 1 title: I want you
ep 2 title: (something about a) kiss..

Or maybe haha the scriptwriter wants me to believe that rensuke and shuumei will end up together... now my mind's a mess.

I like either pairings, but i also have a feeling that after i watched ep 2 or 3, i may have a set pairing. I want to see more of kazami and his motive. :)
Last edited by dramaddex on May 18th, '10, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.

nnnc

Post by nnnc » May 18th, '10, 07:36

After watching episode 2, I can't imagine Rensuke will end up with Shuu Mei especially after that "kiss". But if they are, the twist is awesome and breaks the norm from all previous Cinderella-like story in other dramas/movies. I didn't see it coming at all until the end of the episode.

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » May 18th, '10, 07:51

wowie i can't wait to watch this drama, it's got a great cast -- kimutaku, kitagawa keiko and matsuda shota! i don't know shinohara ryoko but i take it from you guys that she's good? yays.

i'm looking forward to the hardsubbed version of this drama! i read somewhere that smappie subs will sub this, but i read here that timelessubs will do it? anyways there aren't any torrent releases yet are they?

edit: and uhm, please use the spoiler tag if you want to reveal the plot so far. thank you!

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 18th, '10, 08:37

dramaddex wrote:are you sure that it's heading towards rensuke and maemi? Even though I havent watched ep 2 yet, i have a feeling that the script writer's toying with us. That's why it was said that the plot's unpredictable. I think they want you to be believe that rensuke and maemi will end up together because they have a history, but they will not, probably. Besides, each episode title is based on the relationship between rensuke and shuumei:
ep 1 title: I want you
ep 2 title: (something about a) kiss..

Or maybe haha the scriptwriter wants me to believe that rensuke and shuumei will end up together... now my mind's a mess.
LOL! So it would be unpredictable depend on what each individual believes in. The writer is messing around with us, indeed :lol

Okay my reasons why I have faith in RensukeXMaemi:

1. Shinohara Ryoko is always next to Kimura Takuya in the credits list which makes me believe she is the heroine.

2. Shinohara and Maemi character got much focus in the Behind the Scenes program more than Lin Chiling had. The narrator were saying things like, "Only Maemi make eye contacts with Rensuke?". "What will happen between those two? Will their friendship blooms into romance?". Shinohara herself said in her interview, "I, myself, have no idea how will Rensuke and Maemi's LIKE feelings to each other become LOVE. Or will they? But I'm looking forward to know what will happen next,"

3. The news articles kept saying about how it is unpredictable abt who will end up with whom. And so far, the story always focuses in RenXiu couple which gonna make the audience believe the story is totally about these two only. But I suspect it's not just about these two, because they kept showing Maemi-alone scenes RIGHT after RenXiu's scenes, both in Ep1 and 2. So Rensuke-Maemi would be the unpredictable ending.

However, it can always end up with Rensuke-Maemi being true love, but then Rensuke married Yuzuki ^_^ That would be unpredictable too, hehe.
(Aw, I really wish Rensuke can be nicer to Yuzuki.)

But anyway I know the reasons I mentioned above aren't really reasonable and I can always be wrong... it's just this hunch I have :)

untitledmelody wrote:wowie i can't wait to watch this drama, it's got a great cast -- kimutaku, kitagawa keiko and matsuda shota! i don't know shinohara ryoko but i take it from you guys that she's good? yays.
Hee?? You don't know Shinohara Ryoko? I'm sorry to say, but her acting performance in this drama surpasses those three you mentioned, imho XD (that said, I actually love Takuya-Shota-Keiko too!!^^)
You'll love her! So far, I almost never find anyone who would bash Shinohara Ryoko^^ I've heard only praises abt her^^

saayan

Post by saayan » May 18th, '10, 09:28

hrrrrrm I have to say I'm disappointed. Before the show started, I was promised Shinohara Ryoko as the female lead but that's not how it's been. I do love every scene she's in though, so...give it more time I guess?

Shumei is gorgeous (especially during that "Pretty Woman"-esque dress shopping montage) but
I don't really follow her romance so far with jerk Rensuke. Is the attraction strictly physical? Or is she just really masochistic? The last scene didn't really do it for me unlike a good romance where I'm actually rooting for the characters to hook up.
But then again, the writer is the same lady who wrote Innocent Love and Last Friends so her definition of love tends to be a tad screwy--her sole purpose blatantly being to "push the envelope" even at the risk of good writing.

The only thing I really love so far is the theme song <3 Also Abe Tsuyoshi's character seems interesting enough and Matsuda Shota's always easy on the eyes.
Last edited by saayan on May 18th, '10, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.

dramaddex

Post by dramaddex » May 18th, '10, 09:35

yanie wrote: However, it can always end up with Rensuke-Maemi being true love, but then Rensuke married Yuzuki ^_^ That would be unpredictable too, hehe.
(Aw, I really wish Rensuke can be nicer to Yuzuki.)
omgosh!! i havent thought about that! rensuke ending up with yuzuki??!! that would be a great twist indeed.

you have a good point there. Whenever after the rensukexshuumei scene, maemi comes into view. It seems as if it wants to tell us: "what about her(maemi)?"

I've seen ep 2 without subs, and i dont understand anything, so i am interpreting based on their interaction....
but what i noticed during the scene where the white guy was trying to seduce shuumei, the camera focused on rensuke's ripped cigarette? it's as if suggesting that the white guy makes him feel sick or that he's angry.... Then again, at the end of the scene, we know that rensuke's using shuumei. This makes me believe that even though rensuke's using her, he is subconsciously attracted to her little by little. Then the scene goes to maemi and she always looks at the moon when rensuke and shuumei's scene occurred. What does that symbolize? i dont know yet. But do you know any myths or story about "moon lovers?" I have a feeling that it's going to be tragic between rensuke and shuumei, based on... i dont know.. the myth of moon lovers sound tragic to me.. lol
i know i take more notice during the rensuke and shuumei scene; i think i'm leaning more towards that pairing that's why. but i believe we can share our observations (that usually go unnoticed because we dont really ship for that pairing.. you know what i mean? lol) and come up with new interpretations based on each others observations.

and now for something random:

:roll and :whistling: = maemi
:salut: = shuumei

haha that's all i have so far...

annie_chan

Post by annie_chan » May 18th, '10, 10:12

19.2% T___T no!

srius

TNK ost

Post by srius » May 18th, '10, 10:35

Love Angel wrote:wow...I LOVED the first episode..better than I expected :thumright:
I didn't like Liu Xiu Mei in the promos and cms but when I watched the episode..I thought that she was quite good..not bad as I expected her to be
and defiantly I'm Hazuki Rensuke x Ninomiya Maemi Supporter :wub: :wub: Loved how she kept looking at him :heart: I felt sorry for her though :-( I really hope that Hazuki will fall for her instead of Xiu Mei..but the next episode preview's says the opposite :sorry:
I hope that Shota will get more screen time in the next episodes :wub:

the OST & the Theme song were Awesome! I Loved them :note: Can't wait for the next episode <3
So anyone knw where the ost fiels are hosted, google disappointed me in that one :(

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 18th, '10, 11:14

Added the poll (at the top of the page) just for fun!! :lol Please put in your votes, minna :salut:

dramaddex wrote:omgosh!! i havent thought about that! rensuke ending up with yuzuki??!! that would be a great twist indeed.
Deshoouuu. But sadly, if Rensuke end up marrying Yuzuki, I don't think it'll be out of love. Coz seem like he has no interest at all in her, at this rate :-(

Actually... if only they have 9 eps... they can focus on 3eps for Rensuke-Xiumei, 3eps for Rensuke-Yuzuki and 3eps for Rensuke-Maemi. Coz I really doubt Stardust agency would let their current raising star Kitagawa Keiko who had been the female lead for fujitv getsuku dramas twice before, to act in another getsuku drama with that much screentime(like in Ep1-2) throughout the whole drama O_o I really think there shld be Yuzuki-focus eps too, later.

I'm a full-fledged RenMi shipper, but I love RenZuki pairing too (and seem like they'll have a cute 'zoo date' scene together next week :wub:), so I hope there are RenZuki shipper too here. Anyone? hehe.

Kitagawa Keiko said something cute to Kimura in the Bokura no Ongaku crosstalk, "I really hope Rensuke-san will notice me later. I will do my best to act the character to be lovable and not annoying. So please, notice me...". Aww^^

dramaddex wrote:
but what i noticed during the scene where the white guy was trying to seduce shuumei, the camera focused on rensuke's ripped cigarette? it's as if suggesting that the white guy makes him feel sick or that he's angry....
Hooo~~ nice observation. I didn't notice that scene. Will have to re-watch. But if he's angry, I don't think he shld be angry to the white guy, he shld've been angry to himself... He had a choice not to bring Xiu Mei there, and yet.... You know what I mean?^^
But then again, since I'm on the RenMi pairing ground, I might interpret that scene differently, haha!
dramaddex wrote:
Then the scene goes to maemi and she always looks at the moon when rensuke and shuumei's scene occurred. What does that symbolize? i dont know yet. But do you know any myths or story about "moon lovers?" I have a feeling that it's going to be tragic between rensuke and shuumei, based on... i dont know.. the myth of moon lovers sound tragic to me.. lol
Hmm... There's this old Japanese folktale, "Princess Kaguya": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaguya-hime

Ep1 has the water bugs reference. Ep2 has the Cinderella reference. Maybe, in later eps there will be Kaguya-hime reference too^^
dramaddex wrote:i know i take more notice during the rensuke and shuumei scene; i think i'm leaning more towards that pairing that's why. but i believe we can share our observations (that usually go unnoticed because we dont really ship for that pairing.. you know what i mean? lol) and come up with new interpretations based on each others observations.
It's always a pleasure to be able to discuss this healthily with a RenXiu shipper :thumright: My mind might be blinded already with RenMi's scenes, haha... so I might really need to know a different perspective from the other shippers. Well, like you said we can complete each other's observation^^

Please keep shipping and support RenXiu, and continue to share your observation on your OTP :thumleft:

The good thing about this drama is that all the girls are loveable so I don't think I will break my screen when Rensuke end up with someone I'm not rooting for, haha.

dramaddex wrote:and now for something random:

:roll and :whistling: = maemi
:salut: = shuumei

haha that's all i have so far...
Gotcha!! :salut: :lol

By the way, I have once questioned about the coins and water bugs reference. My friend, noonew, has a lovely theory about it and I agree with her!!^o^ (warning: RenMi-oriented theory XD)
In the first episode at the riverside restaurant, they were talking about you'll find happiness when you find the amenbo, and the amenbo will only live in pure water. After episode 2, it's shown that Xiu Mei is now polluted and not so pure anymore. So Rensuke, who is polluted too, cannot find true happiness with her. But Maemi is still pure and she has been there for him all the time. Once he is "cleaned", he will find his true happiness in Maemi. Besides, I personally think the kanji 美 in Maemi looks a lot like Amenbo and her 真 also means pure. (though I may stretch this a bit too much)

caramelchampagne

Post by caramelchampagne » May 18th, '10, 12:10

i really loved the first epi but y always shinohara look the same since anego she didn't change at all and i hated the hair cut of matsuda
kimura always looks great
i'm really happy that the first epi was great hope it will continue like this some say the series will be 7 epi and some say it's 11 which is true

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 18th, '10, 12:14

EPISODE 3 synopsis
Hazuki Rensuke won the interior competition for the foreign hotel and Ninomiya Maemi signed contract as the exclusive designer. Furthermore, Rensuke selected Maemi to be in charge of the new Regolith project which image character is Liu Xiu Mei. The employees who had been planning the new Regolith project so far, and even Maemi herself, are against this decision, but Rensuke didn't listen.

And so together with Tsugio and Rina, her assistants, Maemi started poster photoshoots with Xiu Mei. Maemi realized that Xiu Mei is really up for it. But actually this is just because Xiu Mei has vengeful thought towards Rensuke. Kazami tries to make Xiu Mei talk about her intention. Meanwhile, Oonuki Yuzuki is growing impatient more than before, to see Xiu Mei is getting intimate with Rensuke so quickly.

Then, Xiu Mei met her father, Han Yan, who had been looking for her. To see Xiu Mei's happy face, Rensuke instructed Kazami to investigate Han Yan's surrounding. Yuzuki's father, Mastpole's president, Oonuki Shogen who just lost the foreign hotel's interior competition came to Rensuke proposing a joint business but Rensuke rejected it. And so Shogen start to think of another plan.

Although Xiu Mei is trying to get close to Rensuke for revenge, after she heard about Rensuke's past from Maemi, her heart wavers. Meanwhile Rensuke who has noticed Xiu Mei's vengeful thought, makes a move...
source: official website
translated by yanie

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » May 18th, '10, 12:51

Yanie-san, arigatou for setting up the poll! :notworthy: And for the synopsis to ep03! :w000t: I am so addicted to this... :D

I just had to comment because even if I've got nothing much to contribute to the current discussion (yet to rewatch ep02 :cry: ), the poll result is awesome! Rensuke/Kazami! :clap: Gosh I love you guys/gals! All I can say is that they definitely have the chemistry. XD :thumright:

dramaddex wrote:
i know i take more notice during the rensuke and shuumei scene; i think i'm leaning more towards that pairing that's why. but i believe we can share our observations (that usually go unnoticed because we dont really ship for that pairing.. you know what i mean? lol) and come up with new interpretations based on each others observations.
Welcome aboard! :D It's always nice to have supporters of different pairings/ships. I'm not into any OTP (I just can't bear to pick one of the lovely ladies since I love them all so much, and Kazami of course :wink: ) so I enjoy any discussion on hints to all the pairings. :thumleft:

Jaja

Post by Jaja » May 18th, '10, 13:52

Iris Zephyr wrote:
Jaja wrote:I really would like to see this drama but I prefer with english subs.
:-) transian has generously provided subs in the post here: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_84963_30.htm

Oh SMAP! Subs has also uploaded soft subs and hardsubbed episode(s) on their Livejournal Community. You just have to join it and you'll be able to download it. :lol
Yehey :cheers: thank you very much for the info

Romance

Post by Romance » May 18th, '10, 16:14

Disappointed by this drama... just feels so generic and somewhat boring, theres nothing to be excited about. Well well ill keep watching :-)

totemokakkoii

Post by totemokakkoii » May 18th, '10, 16:46

Okay drama... kind of disappointed. lack the punch.
but will continue to watch for shinohara and kitagawa.

ps: can someone dub chiling??? her whiny tone is kinda unbearable

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » May 18th, '10, 16:53

yanie wrote:Added the poll (at the top of the page) just for fun!! :lol Please put in your votes, minna :salut:
I voted but with little enthusiasm for Kimura's pairing. Instead i'm looking forward to Shota & Shinohara pairing cos they sizzle on screen.

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » May 18th, '10, 18:07

Okay I just watched the preview of next ep (HQ) cause Keyhole didn't work and I'm excited because hey Maemi and Kazami on the beach! XD
bah now I don't care about other female characters at all lol well when I'm biased I can't see anything else :mrgreen:

and can someone tell me what he said to her in the end?
Did he say "Maemi-san, suki-desu" .... ? is it a confession, please correct me if i'm wrong ^^

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 18th, '10, 18:21

Yup! Ep3, Kazami will start to make a move!! :wink:

GetsuKoi Chapter II: The Prince & The Fairy Godmother
http://yanie02.livejournal.com/100578.html
(80 screencaps and a few dialogue transcripts including the next week's preview quotes)

miznagase

Post by miznagase » May 18th, '10, 19:55

wow! i was so blown away watching the first episode, but the second episode was a piece of crap! :crazy:
jeez, i thought sunao ni narenakute has bad screenwriters :roll
rensuke went shopping with xiumei and that was pretty much it.
why the hell did xiumei have to start living in that chinese restaurant, and why the hell is maemi living with her? :scratch:
what the hell is going on? :x
one thing i did notice in this episode (and at the very end of the first episode) is the possibility that shota's character is actually on kitagawa keiko's dad's side :unsure:
he's showing mysterious signs that he's not loyal to rensuke...
i also think it's smart that xiumei is making rensuke fall in love with her so that she can dump him afterwards :P
he deserves it for being such an ass to her, her family, and her co-workers :D
i was disappointed with this week's episode, but hopefully the storyline will get better next week :thumright:

dramaddex

Post by dramaddex » May 18th, '10, 21:40

yanie wrote:
By the way, I have once questioned about the coins and water bugs reference. My friend, noonew, has a lovely theory about it and I agree with her!!^o^ (warning: RenMi-oriented theory XD)
In the first episode at the riverside restaurant, they were talking about you'll find happiness when you find the amenbo, and the amenbo will only live in pure water. After episode 2, it's shown that Xiu Mei is now polluted and not so pure anymore. So Rensuke, who is polluted too, cannot find true happiness with her. But Maemi is still pure and she has been there for him all the time. Once he is "cleaned", he will find his true happiness in Maemi. Besides, I personally think the kanji 美 in Maemi looks a lot like Amenbo and her 真 also means pure. (though I may stretch this a bit too much)
hmm, nice, very interesting. I havent put the water strider in to consideration. but i wouldnt say shuumei's completely polluted.
I find her innocence and "developed"- wicked mind as an addition to her charm and the plot's excitement. Both rensuke and shuumei are plotting against each other without either of them knowing yet. How exciting. but im sure that her plot for revenge wont last because her innocence and soft heart may take over.

hmm, if maemi's really pure, then why hasnt rensuke changed all these years they are together; he' still a jerk? Or maybe she's just watching over him right now, then when he finally becomes so bad, she will start to make her move? So yeah, maybe in later episodes, the focus will be on maemi.

mm, i think one of shuumei's chinese characters has the word 美 in it too. and her other word means grace (秀)?

Observations (rensuke and shuumei), a bit stretched (based on interaction)?
1. Rensuke was surprised when both of them put on the seat belt at the same time? connection?
2. Rensuke was about to explain his reasons for dressing her up, but was cut off, so he ended up agreeing with her that he was using her (which is partly true). I believe the other part is because he really want to see her beautifully and unintentionally dressed her up more beautifully than needed.

Analysis of Rensuke:
--He is partially attracted to shuumei's beauty as of now, (maybe more of his attraction will be revealed later on). so now, it's physical attraction.
--Rensuke and maemi has an intuitive connection since they knew each other for a long time. They are able to understand each other.. Or maybe maemi is able to understand rensuke, but i'm not sure if rensuke truly understand everything about maemi. (even so, rensuke and shuumei may also have that kind of connection, the seat belt scene? if the assumption's correct then more of the little connections between rensuke and shuumei will be revealed later on...
note: observation and analysis subject to change when i get to watch ep2 with subs. :)

Anyone know the inserted song besides the theme song?

nnnc

Post by nnnc » May 18th, '10, 22:06

Oh SMAP! Subs has released the softsub for the 2nd episode.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 18th, '10, 23:33

miznagase wrote:
why the hell did xiumei have to start living in that chinese restaurant, and why the hell is maemi living with her? :scratch:
what the hell is going on? :x
Xiumei can't stand living in the hotel and when she came to the chinese restaurant, she likes the place alot and said to Maemi that this place reminds her of where she used to live. Maemi said she'll tell Rensuke abt this and Xiumei thanked her, which means Maemi is going to talk to Rensuke and make him agree for Xiumei to live in that chinese restaurant.

Maemi is not living with her :lol She was just working on her design there and wait for Xiumei to come home, probably because she wants to know how "the date" went.
dramaddex wrote:
I find her innocence and "developed"- wicked mind as an addition to her charm and the plot's excitement. Both rensuke and shuumei are plotting against each other without either of them knowing yet. How exciting. but im sure that her plot for revenge wont last because her innocence and soft heart may take over.
Totally agree with everything you said above :thumright:

dramaddex wrote:
hmm, if maemi's really pure, then why hasnt rensuke changed all these years they are together; he' still a jerk? Or maybe she's just watching over him right now, then when he finally becomes so bad, she will start to make her move? So yeah, maybe in later episodes, the focus will be on maemi.
I think he's still blinded by his bad past and doesn't realize that the one he needs the most is right in front of him^^
dramaddex wrote:mm, i think one of shuumei's chinese characters has the word 美 in it too. and her other word means grace (秀)?
秀 means superior, excellence, extraordinary. 美 means beauty. It pretty much describe how her character has always been described^^

Maemi's 真 means true, pure, genuine. Which I hope means she's the 'true love', hehe... :P

And yes, one of the news article hinted there are hidden meanings in the character's names :wink:
http://www.fujitv.co.jp/fujitv/news/pub ... tsuku.html

dramaddex wrote:
Observations (rensuke and shuumei), a bit stretched (based on interaction)?
1. Rensuke was surprised when both of them put on the seat belt at the same time? connection?
2. Rensuke was about to explain his reasons for dressing her up, but was cut off, so he ended up agreeing with her that he was using her (which is partly true). I believe the other part is because he really want to see her beautifully and unintentionally dressed her up more beautifully than needed.
I'm surprised you didn't mention about the golf scene, how he got so upset and kick something^^

But all of his emotions showed in Ep2, I find it more on being sick of himself, but not really because he has feelings for Xiu Mei. After that eyes during the kiss, I really think he's not attracted at all in Xiu Mei :blink How do you observe that eyes during the kiss scene?

I'm more and more sure that RenMi will be endgame after watching Ep3 preview:
Based on what Kazami said to Yuzuki, which was, "That man is only thinking about himself. But I always think of other people with all might. What they demand and what they're thinking. And I will slowly give what they demand. That's what important,".
I think Kazami is going to try to steal Maemi from Rensuke by understanding what Maemi needs and wants and giving her exactly that. Perhaps because he knows that's Rensuke's weakness? For what? I have a feeling Kazami will be Rensuke's enemy in the near future^^
So while Rensuke is busy with Xiu Mei, I guess he wouldn't notice that Kazami is slowly making a move towards Maemi XD Slicky!
When it turns like this, I can really see Rensuke slowly starting to panic and will try everything he can to get Maemi back.
And most probably Kazami who know Rensuke from so long before, is eyeing Maemi, bcoz he knows she's his weakness^^
But of course I can be wrong and it might be only his weakness in professional terms, meaning Rensuke really need her just for his job only.
As I always said though, I have a hunch that it's more than that. Rensuke has been hiding his feelings for Maemi or he just hasn't realized it yet. But when Maemi leave him for good, I think that's when we'll know the truth.

miznagase

Post by miznagase » May 19th, '10, 00:27

yanie wrote:
Xiumei can't stand living in the hotel and when she came to the chinese restaurant, she likes the place alot and said to Maemi that this place reminds her of where she used to live. Maemi said she'll tell Rensuke abt this and Xiumei thanked her, which means Maemi is going to talk to Rensuke and make him agree for Xiumei to live in that chinese restaurant.
wow what a waste of time!
i just want the writers to get the story rollin... :P

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » May 19th, '10, 01:57

yanie wrote:I'm more and more sure that RenMi will be endgame after watching Ep3 preview:
Based on what Kazami said to Yuzuki, which was, "That man is only thinking about himself. But I always think of other people with all might. What they demand and what they're thinking. And I will slowly give what they demand. That's what important,".
I think Kazami is going to try to steal Maemi from Rensuke by understanding what Maemi needs and wants and giving her exactly that. Perhaps because he knows that's Rensuke's weakness? For what? I have a feeling Kazami will be Rensuke's enemy in the near future^^
So while Rensuke is busy with Xiu Mei, I guess he wouldn't notice that Kazami is slowly making a move towards Maemi XD Slicky!
When it turns like this, I can really see Rensuke slowly starting to panic and will try everything he can to get Maemi back.
And most probably Kazami who know Rensuke from so long before, is eyeing Maemi, bcoz he knows she's his weakness^^
But of course I can be wrong and it might be only his weakness in professional terms, meaning Rensuke really need her just for his job only.
As I always said though, I have a hunch that it's more than that. Rensuke has been hiding his feelings for Maemi or he just hasn't realized it yet. But when Maemi leave him for good, I think that's when we'll know the truth.
I think the same.
I hope they will show us soon their story, what happened to Rensuke, cause I think he wasn't like that in the past (based on Maemi's feelings for him :roll ) But so far I still don't feel Maemi's impact or importance to Rensuke yet. He just sees her as a talent designer and wants to sign a contract with her. It's where I want Kazami steps in and 'open his eyes'. well it sounds unfair but I don't think he has 'real' feeling for her anyway. I don't see his intentions by confession/making a move to Maemi beside for that reason (makes Rensuke realizes, but again why would he do that) unless it's just part of his plot. But again, Maemi would never fall for it lol so he can try forever ^^

nnnc

Post by nnnc » May 19th, '10, 02:12

Poor Yuzuki.....no one want her to end up with Rensuke.
LOL at Kazami getting the same amount of vote as Xiu Mei. :D I was tempted to vote for Rensuke/Kazami too after that eye contacts they made at the beginning of the episode. That was very HOT!!!

anotherfan

Post by anotherfan » May 19th, '10, 02:15

I'm so intrigued by this series cause I have all these guesses on each character's intentions but not really sure about any. Wow - Rensuke is a real jerk in the first 2 episodes, manipulative and also deceitful. He deserves what's coming to him. Kimura has played some characters in the past that aren't the greatest in character but I don't think I've ever really not liked them. I can say that I really do not like Rensuke at this point.

I'm rooting for RenMi but I don't mind him with the other 2 ladies either. I just don't think LCL is a good actress though - I've seen a lot of her other works (movies, hosting shows etc) and acting is just not her strong suit even though she is quite beautiful and tall and she's a decent host.
After watching ep 2 and ep 3 preview, I'm certain that RenMi will end up together. I'm also certain that XiuMei will not end up with Rensuke. It's just too obvious now. I'm not sure what will happen with the Yuzuki part of the story. I like how XiuMei isn't a complete pushover here - and trying some revenge on her own, although she's really no match for him when it comes to revenge and manipulation and I also don't think that she has a bad heart. I think she's lashing out to cover up the hurt. Rensuke - I feel like he has some physical attraction to XiuMei, after all, she freaking gorgeous but it's definitely not love yet since he doesn't seem to trust her (hence the eyes during the kiss) and I'm not sure he really felt that terrible about offering her up to that businessman. I feel like the tragic downfall of this game btw Rensuke & XiuMei will allow Rensuke to get closer to Maemi. And whatever Kazami has up his sleeve, will also help the RenMi couple. I read some other predictions here, and I do agree with them. Seems like all signs point to RenMi in the end game. :)

lvtk

Post by lvtk » May 19th, '10, 02:54

Geezzz.. Renzuki's eyes were creepy and tricky when he kissed XiuMei. He kissed her only to convince her that he had a feeling for her.. but, again, his big manipulation for his own interest. He might be attracted to her beauty but the way he looked at her.. just like only want to control her. I think he cracked his cigarette because he got upset that XiuMei didn't follow his order.

BTW, there must be something behind his jerk selfish behaviors, otherwise Maemi will not keep her feeling on him for a long time.. Her eyes did tell all how she feels about him although she didn't like the way he handled his business.

So far, I really enjoy this drama and am looking forward all any twists that are coming. All casts are amazing.

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » May 19th, '10, 03:16

Watched the 2nd episode with subs...I personally Loved it..I didn't notice the time while watching it..felt too short
Hazuki is such a jerk..I felt sorry for Xiu Mei..using her like that >.< and I didn't expect that she is plotting a revenge against him..well, he deserves it, playing with people emotions like that *sigh* but I think while they are manipulating each other they may fall for each other :roll

Meami was amazing as the first episode..I want to know how was her relationship with Hazuki in the past..he trust her..like when he was discussing about the factory workers with one of his employees when she knocked the door and hesitated to go in..he let her in and told her to sit..as if its okay for her to listen to what they are discussing..it shows that she is the only person that he is comfortable with ^^ hope that they will focus on Hazuki & Meami more in the following episodes..

and the scene with Hazuki and Yuzuki near the car was cuute..omg Hazuki is such a bastard XD I'm liking Yuzuki's here..cute ^o^

and wow Hazuki's and Kazami's eye contact in the beginning of the episode was something..Loved that scene..
and Kazami is really mysterious..I'm sure that he will have bigger parts in the following episodes :whistling:
although it's confusing and it seems that they are toying with us with the pairings but it is a refreshing change actually...most of the dramas have a clear ending regarding who will end up with who :roll

can't wait for the next episode :thumright:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 19th, '10, 04:41

Nomanymore wrote:I think the same.
I hope they will show us soon their story, what happened to Rensuke, cause I think he wasn't like that in the past (based on Maemi's feelings for him :roll ) But so far I still don't feel Maemi's impact or importance to Rensuke yet. He just sees her as a talent designer and wants to sign a contract with her. It's where I want Kazami steps in and 'open his eyes'. well it sounds unfair but I don't think he has 'real' feeling for her anyway. I don't see his intentions by confession/making a move to Maemi beside for that reason (makes Rensuke realizes, but again why would he do that) unless it's just part of his plot. But again, Maemi would never fall for it lol so he can try forever ^^
Are? I thought you become more on the KazaEmi side when you see that Ep3 preview, heehee...
It's true that so far we don't know who Rensuke has feelings for, he never showed that. But I would take moments like when Rensuke asking Maemi for help rather than order/command her, as a hint. WIth other people incl. Xiu Mei, Rensuke gives order, like "Mattero!". But with Maemi he uses words like, "itte kurenai?", "tanomi ga arun dakedo...". It's really a big difference of words use, and I think we can see how Rensuke respect Maemi from that. He even let her to sit and wait inside when he was arguing with the staff. And did u notice how he let the blinds open when he was arguing with the staff, but then he close the blinds after he was alone with Maemi? Haha... what's up with that?

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » May 19th, '10, 12:57

I'm all for the RensukexMaemi pairing! :D
^ Yup! He's somehow more gentle towards Maemi. Though it may not be significant and maybe he's just more polite to her since they are friends, but I do believe it'll lead to something soon enough. And I notice how he always asks Maemi for help, he trusts her more than anyone else! Maemi too, somehow finds herself always helping him. The way she answers " I wonder why..." when Xiu Mei asks her why she still works for someone like him. It's a hint. ^__^

And I think he's starting to be suspicious at Kazami, the way he looks at him at the launch.

Anyways, Yuzuki's scenes are always funny. I do get that she's basically there for the laugh.
I also find it funny watching how Rensuke is always looking up at Xiu Mei (coz she's taller :lol )

bérangère

Post by bérangère » May 19th, '10, 13:30

yanie wrote:
With other people incl. Xiu Mei, Rensuke gives order, like "Mattero!". But with Maemi he uses words like, "itte kurenai?", "tanomi ga arun dakedo...". It's really a big difference of words use, and I think we can see how Rensuke respect Maemi from that.
I pretty agree with almost all your opinions on this drama (as far as I have read on this thread), but i'm not sure this attitude denotes the respect he has for Maemi.
Rensuke is manipulative with everyone, *including* Maemi. He just knows that the way he manipulates others would not work on her. Of course, he does not uses the same type of speech to talk to her... but the result is the same : she does exactly what he wants her to do. If he talked to her the same way he talks to the others, he would not obtain the result he wants. And it seems that obtaining the results he wants is the main focus of his mind...
But I do not deny the fact that their relationship is special. As you wrote,
He even let her to sit and wait inside when he was arguing with the staff. And did u notice how he let the blinds open when he was arguing with the staff, but then he close the blinds after he was alone with Maemi? Haha... what's up with that?
I think he sorts of consider Maemi as a prolongation of himself.
He told her in the previous episode that she was the only one who could create the design of the chair he had in mind. In the same way, it may be a reason why he does not kick her off his office while he is aguing : she's a part of him, her presence is not a problem.
But I am far from thinking that Maemi considers herself as a prolongation of Rensuke.
Their relationship is profound and complex, that's why it is so interesting to watch it.
To add to the list of "things he does with Maemi and not with others", there is also the fact that she can sit in his chair in his office. At the end of the episode, when Shuu Mei enters the office, Maemi is speaking about her project. She is the one sitting in the chair, and he is on the side. I am not sure he would let any other designer invade his private space like this. Not sure they would even be authorized to step on *his side* of the desk. But that also may come from the fact Maemi is the only one who tries ?

kybiel

Post by kybiel » May 19th, '10, 16:13

To add to the list of "things he does with Maemi and not with others", there is also the fact that she can sit in his chair in his office. At the end of the episode, when Shuu Mei enters the office, Maemi is speaking about her project. She is the one sitting in the chair, and he is on the side. I am not sure he would let any other designer invade his private space like this. Not sure they would even be authorized to step on *his side* of the desk. But that also may come from the fact Maemi is the only one who tries ?
I don't think that Maemi is the only one to tries that and I dout that she tried that. I also dout that he can let anyone to step on *his side* of the desk. I have noticed that scene from the first time i watched the raw coz i love every moments of RenMi couple :wub: ... I think it's just express that she is closer to him than anyone else.

Speaking about where they sit, in ep1, in the riverside restaurant, Rensuke chosed to sit next to Maemi first, then came to XiuMei coz of "amenbo". Maybe it's just because they are friends while he's not close with XiuMei, but i love that fact :D ....
Especially, you can see clearly in the ep3 preview, once again they will sit next to each other in the SAME POSTURE when Yuzuki talks to him. Aww, maybe it's just coincidence, but simply i love it :wub:
I think he sorts of consider Maemi as a prolongation of himself.
Could i understand it as a sign for the "love" which he has not noticed towards Maemi ? :roll

darkmax

Post by darkmax » May 19th, '10, 16:45

yanie wrote:
dramaddex wrote:mm, i think one of shuumei's chinese characters has the word 美 in it too. and her other word means grace (秀)?
秀 means superior, excellence, extraordinary. 美 means beauty. It pretty much describe how her character has always been described^^

Maemi's 真 means true, pure, genuine. Which I hope means she's the 'true love', hehe... :P

And yes, one of the news article hinted there are hidden meanings in the character's names :wink:
http://www.fujitv.co.jp/fujitv/news/pub ... tsuku.html
dramaddex is correct. The Chinese word 秀 refers to gentleness and grace.

I know you are trying to use the meaning from the term 优秀. The 优 does mean excellence, superior and extraordinary, not the 秀. The 秀 in here refers to a scholar, a non-military, or gentle person..