[Discussion] Tsuki no Koibito

Discuss Japanese drama series here.

Who do you want Rensuke (Kimura Takuya) to end up with?

Maemi (Shinohara Ryoko)
53%
Xiu Mei (Lin Chiling)
25%
Kazami (Matsuda Shota)
8%
Nobody
5%
I don't care
9%

Total votes: 278

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jun 9th, '10, 23:15

kimutaku144 wrote:
Has anyone considering the fact Rensuke proposal to Xiu Mei is just to ssshhh the press? just to saving grace the company? Rensuke is actually desperate with no way out when he propose, imo.
Ever since I heard the proposal line in the previous ep's preview, I immediately thought there must be something to it, like there's a problem with Xiumei's visa status or something, coz Rensuke doesn't seem like a person who'd propose someone so early even if he's in love. But then the scene where he told Maemi straight in the face that he don't want to be separated from Xiumei, just ruined it for me^^; For me, there are hints here and there in Ep4 and 5 that Rensuke has fallen for Xiumei for real. So if they're going to turn this to the direction where Rensuke apparently is only "acting" it all these time, I'd find it ridiculous.

Anon.

Post by Anon. » Jun 10th, '10, 01:13

In response to yanie...
I don' t think I'd find it that ridiculous. To me, the random moment when he blurted out that out to Maemi seemed more like he was cornered rather than that was his true intent. Or it could have been a half-truth. Looking at it at a whole...I honestly don't think he's in love with her. I do think that he likes her though...but more of a close personal friend. But hey. I could be just desperate for Rensuke to fall in love with Maemi.
I'm way more hopeful now about Maemi and Rensuke...I know that a lot of people would find it laughable if they did get together...but if the drama's actually 10 episodes...anything can really happen. Just like in Konkatsu!. There are a number of hints about Maemi and Rensuke getting together...but I mean. There were a number of hints about Harry and Hermione. And we all know where that ended up.

So...for now...I say it's anyone's game. And I'm actually looking forward to next weeks episode.

SunSama

Post by SunSama » Jun 10th, '10, 01:41

yanie wrote:
kimutaku144 wrote:
Has anyone considering the fact Rensuke proposal to Xiu Mei is just to ssshhh the press? just to saving grace the company? Rensuke is actually desperate with no way out when he propose, imo.
I thought so too, and I totally agree. Also, he does not look like someone really in love with XM.
Ever since I heard the proposal line in the previous ep's preview, I immediately thought there must be something to it, like there's a problem with Xiumei's visa status or something, coz Rensuke doesn't seem like a person who'd propose someone so early even if he's in love. But then the scene where he told Maemi straight in the face that he don't want to be separated from Xiumei, just ruined it for me^^; For me, there are hints here and there in Ep4 and 5 that Rensuke has fallen for Xiumei for real. So if they're going to turn this to the direction where Rensuke apparently is only "acting" it all these time, I'd find it ridiculous.

koyuki-chan

Post by koyuki-chan » Jun 10th, '10, 03:01

this is the first time I REALLY REALLY hate KimuTaku and the drama... :hissy:
I really can't accept why Ren chose XM... Can't accept Maemi's expression when XM asked her do you like Ren?
I mean what's with that face and so-innocent-act of her. As if she's a very pure woman
Judging from XM past and hard life, actually she supposed to be a matured and tough woman, not a spoiled little annoying girl like that. :crazy: Is it from the writer itself or it's Lin who really can't interpret the role.. Oh gosh, I'm really disappointed with this part... :cry: (only this part, though)
I'm very emotional right now after watching ep 5. So pardon my harsh judgement to Lin Zhiling. :cry:
this drama really got me.. :alcoholic:

Anon.

Post by Anon. » Jun 10th, '10, 03:20

koyuki-chan wrote:
I really can't accept why Ren chose XM... Can't accept Maemi's expression when XM asked her do you like Ren?
I mean what's with that face and so-innocent-act of her. As if she's a very pure woman
Are you ranting about Maemi or Xiu Mei? When you're talking about the act?

And ep.5 was an incredible roller coaster. Though I might be the only Rensuke and Maemi shipper that took solace in it. :-(
People were talking about Xiu Mei accepting the proposal and telling Maemi so...but I didn't see that happen anywhere in Episode 5. So that information came from...?

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jun 10th, '10, 03:27

Anon. wrote:
People were talking about Xiu Mei accepting the proposal and telling Maemi so...but I didn't see that happen anywhere in Episode 5. So that information came from...?
That's from Episode 6 synopsis published in the official website :-)

koyuki-chan

Post by koyuki-chan » Jun 10th, '10, 03:34

Anon. wrote: Are you ranting about Maemi or Xiu Mei? When you're talking about the act?
Sure it's Xiu MEi.
I think the story is too unfair for Maemi.. Seeing her expression in that scene makes me hate Xiu Mei and Ren more... :hissy:

but...
that way, i think they all are the best.. we're even gotten into the depth of this drama.. even though i'm unsatisfied that the storyline doen't go the way i want, but i really enjoyed this feeling..
poor Maemi :cry:

kimutaku144

Post by kimutaku144 » Jun 10th, '10, 04:46

yanie wrote:
But, I can read it when he say he need her, for the company sake! she's the chosen model for this time product campaign. He kills two birds in one stone, saving the company name and secure the image model for this time round. It's not Rensuke's character to propose a girl to marriage. He need quick fix considering the time and situation.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jun 10th, '10, 06:14

kimutaku144 wrote:
But, I can read it when he say he need her, for the company sake! she's the chosen model for this time product campaign. He kills two birds in one stone, saving the company name and secure the image model for this time round. It's not Rensuke's character to propose a girl to marriage. He need quick fix considering the time and situation.
Then how about Rensuke's sincere smile when he saw the mentaiko onigiri from the hotel receptionist? And his yasashii smile when he saw Xiumei outside, next to the pond?
Hehe... I hope you don't mind if I keep going with this. I'll be very happy if you can answer all my doubts by answering abt Rensuke's behavior one by one, so that I can finally accept that it was all just an 'act' in front of Xiumei ^_^

simoneaw88

Post by simoneaw88 » Jun 10th, '10, 11:55

kimutaku144 wrote:
I don't think it's for the company's sake, because if he was thinking about her as a model then he wouldn't have said it's fine even if she quits. His condition is either Xiu Mei stays as a model, or she stays as his wife. He came to propose after looking at the 4 coins, so maybe it's like his attempt in getting happiness even though marriage is not his thing. Or maybe he's attracted to Xiu Mei because he longs for a family like hers, that's why he picked up her family picture before asking her to marry him. At least that's how I saw it.

But Ren's feelings for Xiu Mei aside, don't you think it's weird to say that Ren loves Maemi or knows that she loves him? I think he's just not that kind of person that wants other people to know of his personal business, so he stopped Xiu Mei from talking about the hotel breakfast. Because if he did believe that Maemi was in love with him, wouldn't it be a little cruel to tell her things like "I don't want Xiu Mei to leave me" and "I don't want to let her go"? If that's the case then I don't think Ren deserves Maemi at all.

kimutaku144

Post by kimutaku144 » Jun 10th, '10, 12:01

yanie wrote:
Then how about Rensuke's sincere smile when he saw the mentaiko onigiri from the hotel receptionist? And his yasashii smile when he saw Xiumei outside, next to the pond?
Hehe... I hope you don't mind if I keep going with this. I'll be very happy if you can answer all my doubts by answering abt Rensuke's behavior one by one, so that I can finally accept that it was all just an 'act' in front of Xiumei ^_^
I have to re-watch that scenes since I forgot what is the details.
I think he wasn't really having yasashii smile to XM but just a small smile because XM was being childish looking for the water strider for Renzuke. Guys can't help it feel soft when they see how cute a girl is, doesn't matter they have special feeling for the or not. like woman's feeling toward cute baby, don't care whose baby.

and honestly LCL acting in here was awkward for me, unnatural,
it's ok i answer it as long as i can :D

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jun 10th, '10, 12:09

As much as I love Rensuke and Maemi, what simoneaw88 said make sense and I agree :-(

I'm quite sure that Rensuke & Maemi will end up together now, whether it's because Xiumei betrayed him or Xiumei goes back to Shanghai.... but in the end, yappari, Maemi would only be Rensuke's 2nd choice, coz it's really Xiumei whom he loves :cry:

lvtk

Post by lvtk » Jun 10th, '10, 12:46

After reading all comments, I watched episode 4 and 5 for the second time !! .. and I found myself really like this drama more than watching the first time.
Soannie wrote :
I think that nothing happened in the hotel room between Rensuke and Xiu Mei.
kimutaku144 wrote:

I thought the same thing. It doesn't make sense for me that Ren walked out from another room and Xiu Mei was sleeping on the couch in another room. Moreover, she was on her cloth the night they met at the pool.. come on.. if there was something happen, at least they would show the more obvious scense about their further relationship, at least a common scene like a naked shoulder with a blanket..LOL.

I also think that Ren is not a person who just falls in love and propose. I still remember his mean laughing when Xiu Mei asked him about marrying. When Ren saw his picture and Xiu Mei and listened to his staff's comment about the company image in the meeting room, he asked his staffs for some time. His face's expression was about some sort of thinking. When Maemi asked him questions on the roof, he seemed to be frustated. His answer was unlike an in-love man.

Moreover, his face when he proposed her was like he was going to die !!
How could one propose someone with that moody face and body language if he was really in-love?
Yes, he likes her, I believe.. but I don't know if that's love. When he looked at 4 coins and Xiu Mei's family picture.. Was he thinking about himself and his mother? It seems he doesn't have a good family relationship. Is it possible that he is trying to fill in the big hole in his life?

I think Ren is attracted in Xiu Mei somehow but I don't think it will be more than his ambitious on his company, at least now.

yanie wrote :
I think because Ren didn't know who made onigiri after knowing that it wasn't Maemi but he knew then. I don't think the moment at the pool was just "an action" to Xiu Mei but instead it was a romantic feeling that Ren had with her at that moment. Maemi told Xiu Mei about Ren was with many women, about he was abandoned by his mother, and about he wasn't recognized by his friends. These are wounds in his heart. Now, someone is recognized him. If I was in that situation, I would feel very happy and do the same thing that Ren did at that moment because I would think that I finally "had someone".

I can also related to Maemi's giving up feeling and her tiredness when she told Xiu Mei that she was going to leave Regolith after finishing the next CM. It has been a long time that she keeps "protecting" Ren silently and indirectly.. and now, it's too much for her.. like an overflow glass of water. Again, I would do the same thing if I was in her shoes.

I can feel Ren's very upset feeling in the company's accident when he was in his room and yelled at himself. I felt hopeless in his feeling. I, personally, think Kimura was very good in that scence.

Well, that is just my personal feeling though.
I am really looking forward to seeing the next episode. It does not matter whom Ren will be with, I just like watching Kimura's face expression. He made me believe and can feel his loneliness and ambition.

anotherfan

Post by anotherfan » Jun 10th, '10, 15:58

Thanks Yanie for the post and extra information. :)

I still love my RenMi couple a lot but I think I'm secretly hoping for something completely different to happen here just b/c the script has been quite a mess already. And the guy ending up with the female lead in the end after realizing that he liked her for a long or whatever, is pretty typical in dramas (as in it happens all the time). But I only think there are 2 choices - he either ends up with Maemi or he ends up with no one. I've ruled out XM and Yuzuki. I just cannot see him ending up with either of them. I do kinda wish they could expand Yuzuki's role a bit. She's could be really interesting.

I will keep following this just because I'm so curious as to where it's going and I think Kimura is doing a pretty decent job with his character as frustrating as his character is. I feel like he always has a way of pulling the audience into rooting for his character.

And I also think that it's quite difficult for FujiTV to ignore popular public opinion. I really am not in the camp of changing things to fit what the audience wants, but sometimes it might be necessary to give them what they want. It is entertainment after all. Maybe RenMi was the intention all along anyhow. But I wish the storyline were better. It's hard to save a bad storyline even if the OTP gets together in the end.

surferbunny

Post by surferbunny » Jun 10th, '10, 15:58

hi, i've been a silent lurker for quite a while, but i've finally decided to contribute some thoughts to this heated discussion. Really love kimutaku, he is really a good actor. I was not quite sure about his character he was playing this time and found him rather stiff at the beginning, but now little by little one can discover the human being in Resuke. I think kimutaku did quite a good job with his acting.

Lin Chi Lings acting could improve more and sometimes I just don't understand what kind of character she is playing, but to be fair this is her first lead role and therefore she does a good job.

The first 3 episode were rather tiring for me, since I did not quite understand Rensuke - but now I finally start to see what kind of person he is. Very ambitous and his drive to excell in the area he is good with, no time to waste - therefore he disregards the people who could hold him back.

It's like he has a clock ticking in his head. He is in the outside a very cold person, but I think deep inside him he is quite a considerate person. Although he does not show, but he cares for the people around him. The reason why he does not show his emotion might be that he was betrayed or hurt by someone close to him.

Doesn't anybody wonder why he stopped working for the boss of Masterpole and why those two are fighting so hard? How come the daughter of Masterpoles Boss love him so much, there must be a reason behind this.

I quite agree with some of the comments above, about Rensukes reason proposing to Xiu Mei, it is not entirely because of the company and business. Some part of him might really like Xiu Mei, because of her loyalty to her family and close friends? Something he maybe never had - considering his familys history (no dad, a mother leaving him behind, ....) I think this is what attracks him to Xiu Mei.

Rensuke - Maemi relationship: well I guess unspoken feelings can sometime really make someone tired.
Although I do not neccessarily support any of those 3 leading females - I hope Rensuke does not end of alone, because he needs somebody who loves him.

But all this is only my personal oppinion.

s_malfoy

Post by s_malfoy » Jun 10th, '10, 17:55

I think the onigiri incident episode...earlier when Ren saw the handmade onigiri, he ate it thinking it was Maemi and he tells her to learn how to cook better when he meets Maemi. And Maemi tells him it was not her who had made it. Why did he eat it? It was not even Mantaiko right?

And then at the end of the episode, he finds out that it was XM. And he hugs XM.
But in episode 5, when they have that restaurant scene, Ren pokes fun at Maemi for only knowing how to cook sunny side up eggs. He remembered that? From 10 years ago. Why?

It seems like Ren was actually happy thinking that the onigiri was made by Maemi. And tells her to cook better the next time. But when he found out that it was XM, he wasn't upset that it was not Maemi but he was shocked(?) its so hard to read Ren's expression here, Kimura is a great actor!!, but he immediately became curious to find out who had made it. And then he sees its XM.

I feel that maybe Ren/Maemi could have been in love or might still be but they might have lost the moment or they didn't want to ruin their friendship by confessing. Because let's face it, Ren has had many ex-girlfriends. And its been 10 years. Wouldn't it be hard to confess? Their friendship is too important and valuable I think.

I wouldn't be suprise if the story had a totally different twisted ending with a character death or something.

:blink

emptywishes

Post by emptywishes » Jun 10th, '10, 18:05

hi, i've just watched all the aired episodes of moon lovers (plus gathered some opinions from some of the chinese forums i visit - i'm not speaking for anybody, just personal opinions. and yes i'm a chinese.) and this is what i think of the drama so far.

i don't think there's anything to complain about the two leads, kimura and ryoko, they're experienced and they played their characters well from the start. rensuke is the type of person who is supposed to stay cold and composed throughout the whole drama, unless someone hits him on a spot that rips his mask away. well i think we all agree that xiumei is that pretty princess, grasping his heart and whatnot. but i see more chemistry between rensuke and maemi. they don't show it like how love is portraited between rensuke and xiumei, its more from the eye contact, the gestures and how they treat each other that we see they have a past - maybe a future, too. that idk.

maemi is just too nice playing the fairy godmother. she hasn't got enough guts to let rensuke know she's in love with him. there's another saying though, that rensuke already knows about maemi's feelings towards him, but i can't be sure. he's aware that he can't lose her. he depends on her whenever he encounters any problems, and at the worst of times he seeks her help. but whether or not he himself knows or is about to find out about his own feelings towards anybody, i think its up to kimura to play that out. i don't think maemi is going to take the initiative to show her feelings, even up to the sixth episode. she's already leaning towards kazami's side, and though she has no special feelings for him, she's still finding a wall to support herself, just for now. that's what i interpretted from her character. what i think is that rensuke will be the one who will, finally, grow jealous knowing that, and take the next move. still, looking back to the previous episodes, anything is possible.

i'm not impressed by lin chi ling's acting though. of course, she's not a professional so i'm not supposed to expect too much from her, but the blank expressions and her forcing out her gestures, i think it makes the story confusing. its because we don't see the chemistry that makes the character's feelings very complicated and difficult to understand. if she had done better with the character, at least we should know when and why she turned towards rensuke, and at other times, why is it that she wants to take her revenge. its that always-unexpected change from her character that i don't like. it's like she's playing two people in the same character.. two contrasting figures, and i can't comprehend what she wants anymore. what is her goal? does she love rensuke? i have no idea. i'm not saying her character is annoying to watch, but her acting is just at a different level when compared to the other actors.

as for how the story goes in the later episodes, i think its quite expected that rensuke will again face great challenges and be hurt in some ways.. i think thats what the japanese audience and us chinese want lol - abusing kimura takuya is always, always one of the most entertaining scenes in a drama. its one of the trends in kimura dramas for the hurting part to come at the last two or three episodes, then wrap it up.

anyway, rensuke finds out about a certain someone in the next episode, in the trailer he looks back in that hurt expression and says 'how long have you been planning this?' i think this really stimulates the story a bit. so far the pace of this whole drama is just a bit slow, considering that they want to wrap up the story in just eight episodes. but not to worry, an extra of fifteen minutes will be added to the last two episodes - or at least this is what i have gathered from japanese and chinese websites.

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Jun 10th, '10, 20:18

Come to think of it, isn't Rensuke a little similar to Halu from Pride?
Both were abandoned by their mothers so they don't believe in love. Halu used his "love game" as a way to hide his true feeling. He doesn't believe in love and he's afraid to be abandon again, so he kept every relationship as just a game. When it ended, it's just game over to him so he could protect himself from the feeling that he was abandoned yet again by someone else. Same as Rensuke, he hates not to be noticed, he hates to be abandoned. He is using Regolith as a way to hide his true feeling. He says he wants everyone to know his name and his products. What he really want is to be noticed. That's why he hates being called "President", he wants to be called by his name, doesn't matter whether it's Hazuki-san, Rensuke, Ren-san, or even Ren
Continuing with comparison to Pride, Aki is a combination of Xiu Mei and Maemi, in term of her (their) presence to Halu (Rensuke).
Aki showed Halu that there really exists a girl who is loyal to her word after all these years and will not abandon her man no matter how far apart they are. Xiu Mei's belief in her family is making Rensuke believe that once she becomes his "family", she will not abandon him. It's not about whether she really is the one he loves, it's about she can be his "perfect" wife/family.

As for Maemi and Aki. Aki is the only person who Halu can open up to. He can tell her about his feeling because he doesn't have to stay strong in front of her like what he has to with his Blue Scorpion teammates. Aki also is the only person who is not afraid to criticize and confront Halu directly and listen to his explanation. This is what Maemi is to Rensuke. Though Halu and Rensuke wants to have someone who will not abandon them. What they really need is someone who can comfort them, be their sanctuary where they can let out their frustration and worries. They may not know or admit that they need it, but the existence of someone like this is very important to them.

For Halu, Aki has always been his perfect answer because she is both what he wants and needs. For Rensuke, the answer is not quite clear. Xiu Mei's belief gives him confidence that she will NOT leave him, but Xiu Mei is not the one he can talk to like Maemi is.
Being advertised as an Adult Romance drama, I think they're trying to present mature relationship where love is not everything. There is more to a relationship than love and passion. You need to have understanding, bond, and compatibility. It may not be romantic, but it is "real". I believe Rensuke has a feeling for Xiu Mei. After all, she is the first person who can crack his wall. Rensuke also has a feeling for Maemi. That's why he treats her differently than everyone else. It may not be a romantic love, but they really share a deep and unique bond here. So it still makes sense to me if Rensuke ends up with Maemi. It's not because Maemi is his second choice, but because he chooses to have a companion rather than a perfect wife. I believe that Rensuke x Maemi is what they have planned all along.

And to go with that earth, moon, and sun analogy. I think Xiu Mei is the sun, Rensuke is the earth, and Maemi is the moon. Rensuke is attracted to Xiu Mei like the earth orbiting the sun. But the sun is too far away from the earth. Maemi is attracted to Rensuke and always be close to Rensuke, like the moon is to the earth. Again, Tsuki no Koibito = moon = Maemi.

My prediction for the next episodes
- Rensuke knows about Xiu Mei's revenge plan (it doesn't matter whether she still intends to do it or not) and it will hurt him and make him realize that Xiu Mei is not his perfect little girl who will not betray and abandon him. There goes the only thing Rensuke wants from Xiu Mei. Again, it's not really about Regolith to him. It really about being noticed and not be abandoned/betrayed.

I don't think we will have the romantic ending scene with RenMi hugging, kissing, or even holding hand. I can see the writer has them working side by side together or bickering to one another but with the new Rensuke. He will now laugh and smile with Maemi and everyone rather than keeping his cold front.

simoneaw88

Post by simoneaw88 » Jun 11th, '10, 04:44

nnnc wrote: And to go with that earth, moon, and sun analogy. I think Xiu Mei is the sun, Rensuke is the earth, and Maemi is the moon. Rensuke is attracted to Xiu Mei like the earth orbiting the sun. But the sun is too far away from the earth. Maemi is attracted to Rensuke and always be close to Rensuke, like the moon is to the earth. Again, Tsuki no Koibito = moon = Maemi.
At first I was always pretty sure from the character development that Rensuke and Xiu Mei should logically end up together. Now I'm as confused as the scriptwriters want us to be.

My guess for the analogy:
Xiu Mei is like the sun; she shines with her optimism and warm character, believing in the good side of everyone. Rensuke is like the moon; beautiful but untouchable, cold and inhabitable, constantly changing. Maemi is more of the earth; she takes constant notice of Rensuke, most probably the person that understands him the most.

Even from this analogy it's still kind of hard to tell which is more important, the sun or the earth. To me, just as the Moon requires the Sun's light to be seen, it might mean that Ren needs Xiu Mei as a tool for his company to continue with his world domination plans. Or it could be mean that Xiu Mei's "light" brings out the humanistic side of Ren, without her he remains dark. But without the Earth, the Moon would lose it's orbit just like Ren would most probably be at a loss without Maemi because he's the only one she can confide in thus far.

I think it's really like what the interview said, Maemi is the key to this whole dynamic. Unless she makes a stand for herself and reveal her feelings to Ren instead of everyone else, or stop trying to push Xiu Mei to Ren, they won't have any chance to be together by the end of the drama.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 11th, '10, 06:03

I like the reasoning of the last two posts. I have been on that wavelength myself since I saw episode 5 with English subs. It makes a lot of sense that Maemi would be the Earth..for if she leaves then all will fall apart. Rensuke will be lost without her. It only needs Kazami to step into the Maemi space and Rensike will not like it one bit. Then no matter what Xui Mei does, good or bad, he won't really care or be hurt too much. He will want his comfort zone near him again and that is Maemi.

At last I can say I am beginning to enjoy this drama. It has been very dodgy in the first episodes and hard to catch on to the line of the plot. However, better days ahead I think and we will get our real Kimura back into form again.

Peggy

RainDropPrelude15

Post by RainDropPrelude15 » Jun 11th, '10, 13:48

Agree with Simoneaw88.

By the way, the title "Tsuki no Koibito" literally means "The lover(s) of the Moon."

Therefore,
Moon=Rensuke (the protagonist)
Sun=Xiu-mei
Earth=Maemi

I have to say that Kimura Takuya (whom I used to regard mostly as a charismatic rock star and popular hunk) is really a great actor. It's amazing to watch how he interprets the inner struggles and transformation of the character of Rensuke. Very mature acting.

I am now open to any possible endings; looking forward to the remaining episodes!

RainDropPrelude15

Post by RainDropPrelude15 » Jun 11th, '10, 14:00

Oh, I forgot to say that Yuzuki is absolutely a twinkling little star; outrageously kawaii and shines in her own way.

What a darling!

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » Jun 11th, '10, 14:45

nnnc wrote:
My prediction for the next episodes
- Rensuke knows about Xiu Mei's revenge plan (it doesn't matter whether she still intends to do it or not) and it will hurt him and make him realize that Xiu Mei is not his perfect little girl who will not betray and abandon him. There goes the only thing Rensuke wants from Xiu Mei. Again, it's not really about Regolith to him. It really about being noticed and not be abandoned/betrayed.
I feel the other way
that what Ren said in the end of the preview is to Kazami and not Xui Mei :unsure: maybe he knew about his plans? and he will feel betrayed

can't wait for the next episode..

Anon.

Post by Anon. » Jun 11th, '10, 17:18

This might be a bit random, noting all the posts now, but I just wanted to say that I actually grew to like Yuzuki during episode five...I even felt a little bit bad for her.

Now about all this solar system labeling:

I completely agree. :D Hopefully Rensuke will choose Maemi...but, all in all, I'm just in for the ride now. Whatever happens will happen...hopefully it'll be what I want to happen...but if it doesn't, I can definitely deal with it. After all, I've kept with it this far. :thumleft:

Totally looking forward to the next episode. Just three more days.

thorned_sakura

Post by thorned_sakura » Jun 11th, '10, 18:07

hi everyone, just wanna give my two cents worth here...

i agree with most of you guys who are rooting for a rensukexmaemi pairing because i really don't see rensuke being in love with xumei...i think he's more in love with the IDEA of xumei...that's why he sometimes acts so possessive with her because he has created this idea of xumei in his mind, so whenever xumei doesn't conform with his ideals, he gets frustrated. i think this will also be the reason for their inevitable break up...because he will sooner realize that he's not in love with the person but only with the idea of having that kind of person with him...xumei might be able to realize this later on and this might be the reason for her leaving japan (but considering how utterly daft she is, i'm not really betting on this to happen)

maemi, on the other hand, has been with him since his college days...i feel that at one point he probably was attracted to maemi but decided to shrug off the feeling in favor of the companionship he enjoys with her. he said it so himself, he always wants to win...if he confesses to her and she turns him down, he'd not only lose a possible love interest but a very close friend as well. That's why he decided to just let go of the feeling...i could really see him doing that because he's analytical so he'd probably think of it that way...Of course, these are all hypothetical since we really don't know what happened between them during their college days. But we do know is that they've become close enough for rensuke to know that maemi can only cook eggs, so it's safe to assume that maemi has already cooked for him more than once...that's hardly what you can call a purely filial relationship, right?

however, for rensuke to acknowledge his feelings for maemi, she would have to leave his side...the reason why he neglects her is because he knows that she will always be with him regardless...that's the amount of trust he puts on her. only when she's gone will he be able to realize her importance in his life...

also, i think kazami will reveal his plans to renzuke by next episode, including his intention of taking maemi away from him...and that would lead to renzuke feeling threatened. initially he agreed with maemi dating kazami because he felt that in the end maemi would still be by his side (he did advice maemi to go out with kazami then focus on work to balance it out--so he never considered that they might actually become a couple)...but i think that will change once he realizes that kazami intends to take maemi away from him for good...and that would hopefully lead to him admitting his feelings for maemi to himself...

...or at least that's how i want the story to go...idk...am i making sense to you guys?hehehe

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 11th, '10, 18:09

I had a feeling that what Rensuke said at the end of the previews of Ep.6 might have been said to Maemi...??? He looked so shocked.

Peggy

joisuramu

Post by joisuramu » Jun 11th, '10, 19:45

Initially I wanted to refrain myself from watching any more episodes before the whole thing is done. But after reading everyone's comments, I couldn't hold it any more but to move on to ep. 5. I thought I would shed some drizzle so i had my box of kleenex ready, but it turned out to be one episode I finally "like" in this drama so far.

To me, even though the plot and story line is mostly about Ren & Xiu (the date, the hug, the dinner, the proposal) but it is obvious to me that "the main" story line about Ren & Maemi is finally revealing. There are so many clues in each scene that captures the moment where ONLY the audience know that Ren and Maemi really do care about each other deep down. Sure, in the story line, Resuke "thinks" she likes Xui Mei because there have never been a person in his life who VERBALLY tells their feelings to him. In real life, if I've never been in love before and someone told me that "he'll warm my heart", i'll be happy of course! I'll also think "Wow, i'm finally in love". But is love this shallow? I think there's more to love and most of the time, it's the unspoken thing that makes it more beautiful. In mature love that is. Ren thought he's in love with Xiu Mei, but what he hasn't realize yet is that his true love has always been by his side all this time. He'll probably find out once something happens to his company and when Maemi gives up and leaves him. Same in dramas as in real life: sometimes we don't cherish what we have in front of us until it's too late. Hopefully he'll come to realize those who have truly stood by him and supported him all along.

I think this drama reminded us again that love is complicated. It's not like business where you can work hard to become successful. It is not a competition where you can win someone over with qualities you have. It also remind us that guys are rather slow in knowing what a girl wants. Even though it is so obvious that Maemi likes him, he will never know until someone actually TELLS him. I think the 3 female leads each represents a different type of girl in real life on how they pursue love.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 11th, '10, 22:16

Yes it's really worth the time to go over these episodes now that the story has some meat on it's bones. So far it seemed that this was about a coldhearted business CEO who only held interest for his company. That is why it seemed unreal for him to 'fall in love' with anyone, let alone the silly girl type with the baby voice who acted in such a crazy manner.
He was using her in the beginning for the good of the firm and public opinion. Now it seems that there is dirty work at the crossroads by the man who was terminated, and who is now undercover working for the rival company. Also Kazami is such a mysterious figure. Is he really so dastardly that he will try to ruin Rensuke and spoil his life? Will he then try to step in and rescue Regolith and keep Maemi for himself???

I can imagine that Yazuki will in some way come in and render some aid or information that will save Rensuke. Not that he will then want her but it's within the realm of possibilty. She does not like her father being so underhanded in his business dealings.She will want to help Rensuke because she loves him in a good way and her conscience will be bothering her.

I seem to have seen somewhere a fast glimpse of a much older woman sitting at a desk. My thought was..is this Rensuke's mother?? What would she be doing back in his life. Will she be a help or a hindrance.

I am definitely more interested now in going back to the first episode and watching up to the fifth with English subs. It has made things much clearer to see episode five.

Peggy

thorned_sakura

Post by thorned_sakura » Jun 12th, '10, 00:18

Peggy wrote:I had a feeling that what Rensuke said at the end of the previews of Ep.6 might have been said to Maemi...??? He looked so shocked.

Peggy
yes, that could also be a possibility...maybe maemi tells him in that scene her plans of leaving regolith...

SunSama

Post by SunSama » Jun 12th, '10, 01:06

Anon. wrote:
koyuki-chan wrote:
Are you ranting about Maemi or Xiu Mei? When you're talking about the act?

And ep.5 was an incredible roller coaster. Though I might be the only Rensuke and Maemi shipper that took solace in it. :-(
It is for next episode 6!

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jun 12th, '10, 01:19

Title for Ep6 is quite interesting^^
最終章序幕・別れ / Saishuushou Jyomaku: Wakare / A Prologue of the Last Chapter: Farewell/Separation

Director is Ishii Yusuke, who directed Ep4

Anon.

Post by Anon. » Jun 12th, '10, 01:25

Ahhh...thank you to both Yanie and Sunsama who clarified that for me. :D

I am actually even more excited now to see episode six...what, with all the theories and stuff being put out there.

For my two cents worth...

I do think that Rensuke's in love with Xiu Mei. But I think it's for all the wrong reasons.

But any who. Only time will tell. :|

totemokakkoii

Post by totemokakkoii » Jun 12th, '10, 10:40

it is getting tiring to watch (lin chiling) xiu mei, her side of storyline is so predictable and so bland. i want more on (shinohara) maemi and (matsuda) kazami.

and it is even more tiring listening to xiu mei. why can't they just dub her? i don't refer to her poor japanese, but rather her whiny child-like voice (for a 35 yrs old!)... it is getting on my nerve...urgh!!!

Mirokujin

Post by Mirokujin » Jun 13th, '10, 01:00

totemokakkoii wrote:it is getting tiring to watch (lin chiling) xiu mei, her side of storyline is so predictable and so bland. i want more on (shinohara) maemi and (matsuda) kazami.

and it is even more tiring listening to xiu mei. why can't they just dub her? i don't refer to her poor japanese, but rather her whiny child-like voice (for a 35 yrs old!)... it is getting on my nerve...urgh!!!
totally~
If she's a side role in a side story line, it'll be fine, but this drama totally develops the plot on her character, which makes the whole drama quite unbearable to watch.

lvtk

Post by lvtk » Jun 13th, '10, 17:15

Another few more days, we will know whom Rensuke asked the question to in the preview of episode 6. I am really looking forward to it.
Rensuke seemed to be sad and surprised when he asked the question.. so, Is it possible that question will be for Maemi about her leaving Regolith? If it was Kazami, he should be more angry because he would think about being betrayed. And if it were Xiu Mei, he already knew that she thought about going back to Shanghai... However, he might ask that question to Xiu Mei after finding out that she wanted to revenge him by leaving him after he proposed her... Well, we will know soon.

critiasc

Post by critiasc » Jun 14th, '10, 08:29

Lin's acting is, well, inconsistent but definitely not all bad. I love her in the chase scene in the first episode. I was very impressed by the intensity. I think Lin does tries her very best in her roles but her effort will not show results unless she gets in sync with the rest of the very experienced cast. Her character portrayal lacks flexibility and you can see that while she is trying hard, she cannot channel "Xiu Mei" as a real breathing person.

You'll have to admit that is not easy for someone not used to how acting in Japan (it's slightly different in Taiwan) is like to be able to stand up to the excellent work done by Kimutaku and Shinohara. The holes in the script also fails to make her character more comprehensible.

Ok, about her voice. I think her voice is tolerable. I prefer it a lot more if she sticks to Mandarin (she sounds very natural) . Herr Japanese dialogue in the show kinda make her sound really stupid (but then she learnt it from a 97yo with questionable skills). Her voice is high and slightly whiny yes, but it's her real voice (like David Beckham's voice) unlike Yaoyao's voice which is definitely put on. I mean, she sings like that too lol.

I watch Taiwan variety etc. so maybe I'm used to the wa wa yin. :blink

s_malfoy

Post by s_malfoy » Jun 14th, '10, 12:21

I agree, the acting style in Taiwan is different. I think if they had used any other taiwanese actress, you are going to get similar result. But maybe if they used a tawianese actress without whiny accent, that could have helped. Its just different from how a jap drama would be and I think that is why its so difficult to accept it.

Lin has to adapt to a different acting style and also speak a different language. Which is difficult. And her voice just doesn't help. But I guess these were factors that had compromised XiuMei's character in the drama. But at the same time, it gives authencity to the character no? Lin is chinese and XiuMei's character is chinese. If they had a japanese actress, it would be alot easier to accept the drama but you will lose out on the authencity.

n\

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jun 14th, '10, 18:29

Actually, that is why I tend to avoid Taiwanese dramas. I don't know why. It's not just chi ling. I find most Taiwanese actresses sound whiny. Is that in their culture? Are all Taiwanese female whiny in nature? Or are Taiwanese actresses taught to sound whiny when they perform on screen? Is it suppose to be "cutesy?". Maybe they should cast an HK actress that speaks Mandarin? HK actresses sound less whiny.

anotherfan

Post by anotherfan » Jun 14th, '10, 20:59

I am totally stalking this thread to see if anyone has seen ep 6. I'm so curious --- seems like it will be a good Ren X Maemi episode. :)

L'Arc

Post by L'Arc » Jun 14th, '10, 21:12

anotherfan wrote:I am totally stalking this thread to see if anyone has seen ep 6. I'm so curious --- seems like it will be a good Ren X Maemi episode. :)
I did. Nothing really new happened, the only thing that was supposed to be a surprise was actually shown in last week's preview for this episode :|

joisuramu

Post by joisuramu » Jun 14th, '10, 21:17

I saw a choppy version of ep. 6 on keyhole when it aired. There weren't many Renske x Maemi scenes unfortunately. :( It was mostly about the situation with his company. Xui Mei is still the same....still annoying. I also missed the preview of ep.7 so not too sure what's going to happen next....

Overall, it was an interesting episode with a lot happened. I don't want to say too much before I see it again with subs.

Anon.

Post by Anon. » Jun 14th, '10, 21:37

anotherfan wrote:I am totally stalking this thread to see if anyone has seen ep 6. I'm so curious --- seems like it will be a good Ren X Maemi episode. :)
LOL, and here I thought I was the only one. This is the fourth time I've popped up in this forum. :D

A bit disappointed that there weren't many scenes with Ren and Maemi...wish there were some spoilers though. I love a good spoiler...it actually makes me want to watch it. But maybe waiting a day will do me good.

And in regards to the Lin Chiling comments...I don't know if she's trying her best or not. I'd like to believe the former, but who can say for certain?

I believe that an actor shouldn't get by on sympathy...there are people that can act, and quite simply there are those that can't.

But for the heck of it all, I have no idea which one Lin Chiling falls in. If I went with the comments...well, it's pretty obvious. But for me...her bad acting hasn't been as obvious as it has to others on here. I just have a beef with the actual character...Xiu Mei. And if this is how the character is meant to be perceived...well, then I'll just forget about the acting stuff and just focus on everyone as a character in a drama. That's the way it was meant to be received isn't it? Not to judge acting styles or whatever.

But that's just my take on it.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jun 14th, '10, 22:24

Episode 6 was so boring *yawn*

Ep7 will air on June 28. There's Japan vs Netherlands WC match next week.

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Jun 14th, '10, 22:40

yanie wrote:Episode 6 was so boring *yawn*

Ep7 will air on June 28. There's Japan vs Netherlands WC match next week.
Maybe because it's too obvious :mrgreen:

Isn't Japan VS Netherlands match on Saturday? ESPN says so on its website.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jun 14th, '10, 23:15

oh sorry, on June 21, is Portugal vs... uhh, forgot ^_^ Maa, in any case, there's a World Cup match on 9 PM slot next week :) thanks for the correction.

SunSama

Post by SunSama » Jun 14th, '10, 23:42

I don't understand why they call this drama a true romance... I don't see the romance anywhere. [Have you seen anyone saying I love you at all?] We still don't know what is in Rensuke's mind... Please....!!!

Episode 6 was totally about the company, however, it was cute the Shanghai Panda scene.... [I don't want to say to much so I don't spoil to watch it]

I also missed the next episode previous. So, waiting to see it with subs too...!

raisonpure

Post by raisonpure » Jun 15th, '10, 06:35

seirin wrote:Actually, that is why I tend to avoid Taiwanese dramas. I don't know why. It's not just chi ling. I find most Taiwanese actresses sound whiny. Is that in their culture? Are all Taiwanese female whiny in nature? Or are Taiwanese actresses taught to sound whiny when they perform on screen? Is it suppose to be "cutesy?". Maybe they should cast an HK actress that speaks Mandarin? HK actresses sound less whiny.
"Are all Taiwanese female whiny in nature?" my first reaction to this question would be... Hell no!! In ordinary life, Taiwanese girls who sound 嗲 like Lin Chi Ling are certainly not the norm and stand out quite a bit... sometimes in a bad way. I personally don't feel very comfortable when I hear people talk like that, while it's supposed to be cute it can easily create impressions like "phony", "trying too hard to be cute", "airhead", etc. and I would only imitate it to deliberately annoy people (very likely to garner responses like "gosh you're disgusting" or "you're so silly") or do a parody of someone.

But yeah, I would've preferred an actress who spoke a lot more normally, like Ady An. She doesn't have that same outrageously annoying Taiwanese accent -- which initially bothered me a lot because Xiu Mei's supposed to be from Shanghai, and yet her accent is like the flippant opposite of that...

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jun 15th, '10, 06:57

I have a few female Taiwanese friends back in Japan, they didn't sound like Lin Chi-ling :D Their accent when they speak in Japanese is pretty much the same as LCL, but my Taiwanese friends always speak in quite low-toned voices (for a girl)... to my surprise :)

Ady An should've been casted as Xiu Mei, na...

Btw, in the novel Xiu Mei is described as a Taiwanese who happen to live in Shanghai.
Maybe that's what drama-Xiumei suppose to be too XD

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Jun 15th, '10, 18:09

Ep 6 got 13.4%

I'm not rushed at all watching this ep after everyone's comment ^^;;

lvtk

Post by lvtk » Jun 16th, '10, 00:13

Ahh.. Kimura can't save this drama after all.. I feel very very sad for him. Personally, I still think that he has done a very good job on his character. I am sure he doesn't expect this low rating since he is normally in drama only once a year..and his previous dramas made a fine rating so far. It's very sad.. I only hope that this drama is not flopped because audiences think that Kimura has aged.

Anyway, I, personally, will keep watching until the last episode to see how it will be ended.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jun 16th, '10, 00:16

Trust me, it flopped because of the story... Adding to the fact that love stories dramas are not so popular anymore in Japan, the story is pretty much in the "mediocre to bad" category XD

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Jun 16th, '10, 00:45

lvtk wrote:Ahh.. Kimura can't save this drama after all.. I feel very very sad for him. Personally, I still think that he has done a very good job on his character. I am sure he doesn't expect this low rating since he is normally in drama only once a year..and his previous dramas made a fine rating so far. It's very sad.. I only hope that this drama is not flopped because audiences think that Kimura has aged.

Anyway, I, personally, will keep watching until the last episode to see how it will be ended.
The average rating is still about 17%. If this is a flop, then all other dramas this year are a flop too :mrgreen:

I know this is considered to be a low rating in Kimura's standard but I can't help but feel bad for this drama that it's judged based on much tougher standard than any other dramas. I blame the script more than anything else. I should have seen it coming when I read the rumor of Kimura rejecting the offer at first.

All the casts are doing an excellent job with the scripts they've given. (well except for LCL. She tries her hardest but it's still lacking) But it's hard for the audiences to keep up with the story when the writing is all over the place. The only romantic scenes are for RenxXiumei but there's something missing because the writer (and maybe LCL) is unclear about the true feeling of these two. Now if Ren ends up with Xiu Mei, it makes the most sense but is very unsatisfying because they simply have no chemistry. If Ren ends up with Maemi, RenMi shippers will be happy but at the same time will be confused. They had many cute scenes together but NONE is romantic, not even a hug or hand-holding.

I still believe in RenMi but it's too late for the writer to explain their story now. As much as I like Abe Tsuyoshi, but they should have spent more time on RenMi's past rather than bringing Ming to Japan and that poster thing. If they showed us more RenMi's story, both endings can be believable to the audiences.

How could Ming get there anyway?
He hurt his leg, he lost his job and suppose to have no money. Even if he came to Japan illegally, isn't it too convenient and unrealistic?
I haven't seen this episode with sub yet but they just wasted huge opportunity to set up a possible RenMi pairing.
They even had his mother to show up. That's the perfect opportunity to show us more of Ren's past and his bond with Maemi. All we get is that Maemi is very close with his mom and nothing else. Not even a mother-to-son talk after Rensuke learnt about Xiu Mei going back to China.

Yuzuki is cute but there is no need for the panda scene, just the showroom scene and her talk with her dad are enough to show us that she truly madly deeply love Rensuke. It's like because she is Kitagawa Keiko, so they have to give her more screen time but it wasted valuable time for the main story to develop.
I'm very disappointed in two of my most favorite scriptwriters. Both Kitagawa Eriko and Asano Taeko let me down this season. I was giddy with joy when I heard of Kimura & Shinohara pairing in Asano Taeko drama, as well as when I heard of Eita & Juri pairing in a Kitagawa Eriko drama. Both of my most anticipated drama this season let me down.

Romance

Post by Romance » Jun 16th, '10, 00:56

Yes this drama is a flop, 13% for last episode? Do you guys know how much money they spent on making this? They cant be satisfied with this one...

I think the main reason is the story and the chinese chick/setting. Actually Japanese people in general arent very fond of (interested in) chinese/china and i think having a chinese talking bad japanese throughout every episode destroyed it for many possible viewers.

Is the kimutaku era finally over?

anotherfan

Post by anotherfan » Jun 16th, '10, 01:11

I'm confused... are there only 7 episodes or 10 episodes? I'm been reading different things.

I guess if it's 10 episodes, then they could feasibly have a 2nd part that's just totally different from the first part. Maybe the 2nd part is focused on Maemi? I am definitely drawn into Kimura's character-- I'm not from Japan (so I can't help the ratings) but he's still one of the best in my book.

christiane

Post by christiane » Jun 16th, '10, 01:49

hey ! don t forget that the world cup started and Japan are doing well so I guess people prefer watching their team country than Kimura even if he is the most handsome actor in jAPAN /°
Nothing can beat a black and white ball!!

) :lol :lol

anyway most of the dramas showed now are losing a lot of viewers due to World Cup so blame noone for that
korean dramas were cancelled

Anon.

Post by Anon. » Jun 16th, '10, 02:03

christiane wrote:hey ! don t forget that the world cup started and Japan are doing well so I guess people prefer watching their team country than Kimura even if he is the most handsome actor in jAPAN /°
Nothing can beat a black and white ball!!

) :lol :lol

anyway most of the dramas showed now are losing a lot of viewers due to World Cup so blame noone for that
korean dramas were cancelled
Hope that's the case. I've seen many of Kimura's dramas...and I've loved every one of them, at least, the one's I've seen. Especially Mr. Brain. :D

joisuramu

Post by joisuramu » Jun 16th, '10, 07:05

I'm quite sad that this drama is turning into a disaster. They screwed up the plot and chose inappropriate casts. They went too far by confusing the viewers. In return, they get bad ratings. I'm sorry for Kimura because I think he's doing his best playing Renske. I still think he's charming and shouldn't be fading out yet. I never really thought he would ever fade out actually! He's like the king of entertainment in Asia (in my opinion). Hopefully we'll see things starting to get back in place in the remaining episodes. x fingers crossed x

I don't understand why there needs to be so many big casts when they couldn't even develop them. Unlike some Chinese dramas, Japanese dramas are short, so I feel there is never enough time to develop each character deeply in the first place. Plus, they only air 1 episode per week, so people would expect more from it. Each episode needs to be good and well thought out so viewers can easily follow through the story line and be excited to see the next one. I'm not seeing it in here :(

But I'll still continue to watch it.........simply because.....he's in it :)

lvtk

Post by lvtk » Jun 16th, '10, 12:38

yanie wrote:
Trust me, it flopped because of the story... Adding to the fact that love stories dramas are not so popular anymore in Japan, the story is pretty much in the "mediocre to bad" category.
Thanks!! yanie.. that helps me feel relieved a lot because I am sad to see this drama is like this. I try not to be bias but have to accept that LCL performance is very far behind other actors in this drama. Even Kitagawa's performance is way above her.

nnnc wrote:
I know this is considered to be a low rating in Kimura's standard but I can't help but feel bad for this drama that it's judged based on much tougher standard than any other dramas. I blame the script more than anything else. I should have seen it coming when I read the rumor of Kimura rejecting the offer at first.
Oh..I wish he could have done it as the rumor. Kimura has been carrying several huge chips on his shoulder since the drama was announced several months ago. People who love him expect something as good as, or different, or even better from him. On the other hand, people who don't like him want to see his drama goes down, and unfortunately, this drama is going that way. I totally agree that Kimura himself is in a very tough situation as nnnc said. If his drama was fine, it would be said "well, it's Kimura". If it went down, it would be different said something like "he's out".

joisuramu wrote:
I'm sorry for Kimura because I think he's doing his best playing Renske. I still think he's charming and shouldn't be fading out yet. I never really thought he would ever fade out actually! He's like the king of entertainment in Asia (in my opinion).
I couldn't agree more about Kimura's performance. I think he is one of excellent japanese actors. Please don't get me wrong or hate me that I seem to be on his side. I actually start watching Asian drama not very long ago (mostly Korean/Japanese), so I believe I don't have any bias to any actors/actresses. I personally enjoy Jdorama because most of them have a good story. However, I saw many actors or actresses who were really poor acting as well.

Unlike Kimura, he was different in each character he portrayed. Of course, some of his personalities are still himself such as his walking style or his smile but I could see the character's emotion that he was in, not himself. When he was on TV/Radio show or his radio program (I can only capture his emotion voice due to my zero Japanese knowledge), he seems to be totally different guy.

Thanks this community and all of you guys that let me have a chance to share discussions. I am still learning.. (you can see that I couldn't even post it in a right format!)..LOL

delaciel

Post by delaciel » Jun 16th, '10, 12:55

Hmmn, even though I'm postponing this drama for now because I kinda' disappointed with the development of the story and with a certain character, I do believe that like his other dramas, Kimutaku did a great job~~~~ (at least he can make me feel annoy with Ren's character here LOL).... And I can still feel his charm~~~~

About the rating downfall.... well, I's so sorry that this is happen to Kimutaku's drama, but then again it shows how hard the competition there... Maybe people start to watch a drama not based on the actor, but the storyline itself~~~~

anyway, I still going to stay around here just to know about the development of the story LOL~~~~ This discussion is always interesting to read :D

Adjanian

Post by Adjanian » Jun 16th, '10, 16:36

I agree...this drama is going down because of the story...it really has nothing...and the drama was somewhat predictable form the start...especially the role that all the main characters played...there has not been a single surprise for me, nor with Rensuke, Xiu Mei, Maemi, Kazami or Yuzuki

I'm watching it mainly because of Keiko, I'm not a fan of Kimura's nor the rest of the cast...although I started to like Ryoko's acting more and more...and is such a pity that all her character does is solve everyone's lproblems and hide her feelings. As for Keiko, I've said in other sites that I didn't like the character they gave to her...she is doing it well, she is a good actress and nothing will change my opinion on that. And what bothers me is not the fact that she isn't the leading lady, but the fact that is really decoration character...to show us that Rensuke is a desired ma n...yes, they wasted valuable time to develop a really main story and wasted her time also...honestly if I'd knew it would be like this, I'd preferred not to have her in a drama this season.

So, let's see how they will surprise us on ep 7...as they promised...

:roll :roll

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jun 16th, '10, 16:41

Adjanian wrote:So, let's see how they will surprise us on ep 7...as they promised...
:roll :roll
Better to expect nothing :roll

They promised us Ep6 would be a shocking episode, but then I watched it and my reaction was.... *yawn*.... :lol

Trust me, it'll end up with Rensuke and Maemi's happy ending, without logical explanation 8)

Adjanian

Post by Adjanian » Jun 16th, '10, 16:45

yanie wrote: Trust me, it'll end up with Rensuke and Maemi's happy ending, without logical explanation 8)
It has an explanation...Xiu Mei would be the key to open Ren's heart only for him to discover that Maemi has always been in fornt of him and is the woamn of her dream...so typical xD

joisuramu

Post by joisuramu » Jun 16th, '10, 18:53

I'm feeling a bit let down after reading Rensuke's blog. Today, he saw more アメンボ (water strider) and felt happy seeing them. (long sigh....) does that mean there's going to be more of Xiu Mei? My goodness, I thought she's gone already....

At this moment I have to listen to Love Generation's True True piano version song to get my mood back to the magical love moment I've encountered in Japanese dramas loooong ago. For some reason, every time I listen to this song, it gives me a very relaxed and "happily in love" feeling. <3 hehe. My boyfriend played this song for me on his guitar before we started dating and I was very touched! (opps...got a little off topic here...) I'm sad that "Love Dramas" now a days are turning into a mess like this. What's happening??

Water Strider:
I remembered in Ep. 2, Maemi was at work by herself and then Rensuke came into the room, asking her what she thinks of those 4 coins. She was about to explain it to him, but was interrupted by his phone call. Then it flashed back to the scene where they were in college together and Maemi asked him what he thought of those 4 coins. It stopped right there and she gave out a sweet smile while looking at him on the phone. Then at the scene where the 3 of them were having lunch at a restaurant, Rensuke asked Xiu Mei about the 4 coins. The camera kept shooting at Maemi's reaction and it seems to me like she wanted to say "I told you so" or..."that was my answer too" kind of feeling. Then when Rensuke asked Maemi to design a furniture that represents water strider, he said "You are the only designer who can work on this project because you understand the meaning of it the most" What does that mean? Seems to me that "water strider" is actually an unspoken secret between RenXMaemi, but Xiu Mei stole her idea or Maemi told her the answer beforehand kind of thing. I just felt that Maemi knew the answer all along since she was the one who asked him in the beginning...but she kept quiet the whole time and let Xiu Mei shine. It's just my opinion though....i'm still trying to fit these broken pieces back to the puzzle to understand the whole picture better.

There were so many confusing scenes, and yes, I agree that Ming's appearance was out of context. He couldn't possibly get there without money and being injured himself. Did the scriptwriter think Japan and Shanghai is just next door to each other?! huh...weird.......

Let's see what more they can confuse us in Ep. 7 :scratch:

akamaya

Post by akamaya » Jun 16th, '10, 19:49

Prediction:
Renske said: 'Ninomiya, ima made mo, arigatou!' (thank you for everything until now) which means he will be parting with her for good... and I think he will go after Shumei... :mrgreen:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 16th, '10, 19:54

I am still waiting to get the English subs for ep.6 just to clear up a few pieces of dialogue.
I have seen somewhere that there is mention of an incense table. Is this because someone died? Or is it that someone has appeared to ask for a memorial for someone? This may change everything if it has to do with Rensuke.

I am still hoping that we have seen the last of Xui Mei. There was someone watching her as she wheeled her suitcase towards the gate for the plane. I think it must have been Kazami. He is getting all his ducks in a row now isn't he.
Rensuke's mother must have appeared for some special reason otherwise she would have been shown in earlier episodes. The fact that she obviously likes Maemi is a good sign for me. She looks like a strong woman so maybe she is also involved in business and will be of help to Regolith.

I'm really clutching at straws here....but I love the way Kimura has taken hold of his character as Rensuke.

If it is true that he was reluctant to do this drama I am wondering why he did it anyway. He has his choice of any drama. Maybe because he likes Iishi(?) the director... He has done good things with him before.

Peggy

notoriousnoona

Post by notoriousnoona » Jun 16th, '10, 21:55

I've read alot of posts and the thing that disappoints me the most is the attitude toward the show. I understand that it has flaws, like every other show that airs, but its not to the extent that many have made it seem. I am enjoying it and to each his own, however I think its really sad the Kimura-san has so much to shoulder himself, when there are other actors, writers, directors, etc. Plus I find myself greatly disagreeing with many opinions. At times, I wonder if we're all watching the same show.

Speaking of the story, I think it was mentioned that it was "typical" concerning Maemi and Ren and I agree. But isn't "every" love story typical in some respect. Love itself is simple but its how we get there, how we express it, how we give and receive it, that makes it new, innovative, passionate and compelling. No, I won't be stunned if Maemi and Ren end up together, nor will I be surprised if they never quite get there, though I hope they do. And if they don't, then, well this really ISN'T a love story at all, not between a man and a woman. I know that Xiu Mei (whom I refer to as China) exists but what she and Ren have isn't love. They haven't proven that to me. Not in the least.
I will admit readily that the last 6 eps have not proven to be the love story that was promised but I do enjoy the chemistry between all the actors. China's character is annoying and though I think that she is working secretly with Hazami, she could be genuine. I don't hold my breath, however, my imagination and drama hopes could be working overtime.
joisuramu wrote: I'm feeling a bit let down after reading Rensuke's blog. Today, he saw more アメンボ (water strider) and felt happy seeing them. (long sigh....) does that mean there's going to be more of Xiu Mei? My goodness, I thought she's gone already....

Water Strider:
I remembered in Ep. 2, Maemi was at work by herself and then Rensuke came into the room, asking her what she thinks of those 4 coins. She was about to explain it to him, but was interrupted by his phone call.
I don't think that we can hope so soon that China made her last appearance. Its only ep 6. I'm sure we have more to look forward to that will piss us off where she is concerned. I really am in awe at myself for hating this character so much. I will say that I felt LCL did a great job in the airport scene(ep 6). China pisses me off for being the idiot baby that I thought she was but the actress was subtle in a few moments.
As for the H2O strider, I think this throws back to the problem with most couples in dramas that should be together but aren't: TIMING. I get the sense that Rensuke and Maemi have never been on the same page in the same book relationally. Like when we find out that she was the first to mention it, obviously back then her statement and that convo meant little to him at the time, whereas now its greatly important but for the majority of ep 1-2 he couldn't figure out why. To me ep2 and that conversation especially, gives the viewer all we needed to know about how this story will end.
I don't think I have any real expectations besides finding out what Hazami really wants or what is base reasons are. Beyond that I just want to see how it all pans out.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 17th, '10, 00:16

I can understand that you don't feel the same as other viewers do. I don't feel the same myself. I think that some of us expected that Kimura was going to be doing the love story as they stated, and we expected something along the lines of PRIDE...which I thought was a perfect love story. In fact that drama had so much depth in many areas.

Now I find I am wanting to get the English hardsubs for ep.6 and I am dying to see the next episode. It has only just really hooked me into the drama and I can now see that things that did not impress themselves on me in the first episodes are becoming clear.
I want to get all the episodes and do a straight through viewing and I think this drama will look much different and much more enjoyable.
Usually I watch all the Kimura dramas by the episode and then I get the DVD. Kimura is such a fine actor and it is easy to watch how he grows in his craft from early days to now. Acting seems instinctive for him and when he gets a role that really appeals to him he just becomes that character even with his own indelible personality. It seems to me that is the definition of a star who is a real actor. This time he did not like the character but he still gives it his whole effort.

Peggy

jesamine

Post by jesamine » Jun 17th, '10, 10:39

I couldn't help posting, I'm a big Kimura Takuya fan, have watched all his dramas and most of his movies, and I actually really like this drama lol!!

Sorry to all who dislike it, but I think I'm the few who's actually rooting for a Ren and XiuMei pairing, granted LCL can't act too well (its also only her 2nd major acting role other than Red Cliff), and her poor Japanese is an earsore, but I do find it improving as the episodes get along, her particle use are a lot better, where in ep1, she spoke really choppy Japanese with atrocious particle usage or rather lackof.

But acting apart, I do find Xiu Mei's character fascinating and I can see why Ren is drawn to her, I like Maemi, but I think Ren and Maemi would be too predictable, I can't wait for ep7,
Sounds like Ren got kicked out of his own company by Kazami is that right? I'm watching without subs so hard to fully understand some of the terms. And the last part when he told Maemi, Thanks up till now... I wonder if he's decided to go to Shanghai, since he's lost his most loyal supporter and XM.. I hope so :D
I love how Kimura played out Ren's character, Kimura san :wub:

lvtk

Post by lvtk » Jun 17th, '10, 11:53

So do I, I enjoy watching this drama so far. I watched epi 6 without sub and think that Kimura, again, gave the excellent performance.
I like the way he shows his eyes expression. It tells all about his heartache both of work and his love.
I have the same feeling that he might go after XM because he seems to loose and give up after all.. Normally, we do thank deeply from heart to whom are closed with us when we are going apart for good, like Ren thanked Maemi, don't we? He may want to have life in peace at a small village with water striders! Humm..it seems Ren and XM are comming at the end.

jesamine

Post by jesamine » Jun 17th, '10, 12:07

lvtk, I definitely agree about Kimura's performance and expressions. I think he shows it quite clearly, he desires XM a lot, like he broke his cigarette butt and kicked the golf clubs when the perverted old geezer was groping XM in ep1, very subtle but trying not to show his emotions (like Ren is supposed to). And getting in the dirty mud at the factory site to look for her and then initiating the hug, and does anyone notice that despite his rough and almost violent posessive behaviour towards XM, he always opens the car door for XM.
And at the end of ep6, he was clearly upset about XM's decision to go back to Shanghai but still trying to hide it from his mum, I actually think they do both love each other in their own way, but probably not enough, which is why he said even though he wanted her happiness he still can't change the way he lives.
[/quote]

AndLoveYelledNO

Post by AndLoveYelledNO » Jun 17th, '10, 23:06

I'm also in the minority as i'm rooting for Ren and Xiu Mei. The only romance I see on the show is between these two characters and i'm genuinely enjoying their chemistry as well as their dynamic. Their scene in Episode 6 where they said goodbye... :cry:
I think Xiu Mei makes him feel all the things he buried along the way in his attempts to globalize Regoliath. She makes him connect with the old Ren, the one who used to smile and dream and enjoy life. His feelings for her make him want to be that person again, if only for the simple fact that he wants to make her happy, but he thinks he's too far gone for that.

It's unfortunate what has been done to Maemi's character. I don't really know anything about her except that she's sweet, hardworking, and head over heels in love with Ren. That's all they have bothered to show us.

At this point, Ren/Maemi would make no sense to me. Ren has shown zero interest in her in a romantic sense and they haven't really even shared that many scenes together. Many of the few they've had have involved Xiu Mei.
Considering that they have devoted 6 episodes to showing Ren falling hard for Xiu Mei and being all about her, him ~suddenly~ waking up and realizing he loves Maemi (Even though there has been no sign of that all) would feel cheap and contrived. It would negate the story they have been telling up to now. But as always, this is just my humble opinion :-)

Anon.

Post by Anon. » Jun 17th, '10, 23:37

What the heck was up with this episode. :cussing:

I loved it up until...well...I don't know where. But first thing's first...the model (the one that used to chase after Rensuke)...I actually like her now. Her character has actually grown a lot...which is more than I can say for Xiu Mei really. Honestly I don't know anymore...who I'd rather have Rensuke with.

But back to the plot development...based on the summary of the next episode...it's making it seem like it's going to be the last. The only thing that possibly leaves room for doubt is the fact that the next episode wasn't explicitly labeled "final episode."

Now for some discussion about the actual meat of the story line:
I thought the panda act was extremely cute. And Kazami...well. I knew there was a reason I didn't like him in the beginning. He reminded of a snake then and now my feelings have been confirmed. He really WAS a snake. Though this has been coming for a while.

What I think will inevitably happen is that Maemi will quit Regolith after Rensuke is fired/resigns (though I can't believe that Rensuke didn't actually see this coming). I think that Rensuke will somehow regain Regolith...unless the next episode is actually the final. Then, no possibility.

What I also think will happen is that Kazami will end up...somehow...losing everything in an even worse way than Rensuke did. Maybe. I don't really know.

What I'm hoping will happen is that Rensuke doesn't chase after Xiu Mei. It seems unlikely, what with the preview and all. So I'm going to bank on that happening.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jun 18th, '10, 00:40

Just as some of us are beginning to really get involved in this drama they are talking about the end/ There just have to be more than seven episodes for my satisfaction. They say no episode next week because of the World Cup. Does that mean episode 7 or 8???

Anyway..I don't see Rensuke being torn away from his company for long. I think his mother will have to play some part in rescuing the deal and I also think that Hazuki will lend a hand in some way. Maemi will shock Rensuke by leaving and he will be left in a sad place. It will take total bottom of the well feelings for him to realise that he can only get his life back together if he does it with Maemi. I think they had a closeness in the past that never really went away. He was just too obsessed with Regolith to keep the bright flame going.
The thing with Xui Mei was never a romantic love. Just a sexual collision that lasted five minutes too long. It should be over and done with now. If he is going to find any waterbugs it will be in Japan with Maemi, or alone, and he will remember how they entered into his life. It was not with the Chinese girl.

You jest wait Mr.'iggins..you jest wait....

Peg

lvtk

Post by lvtk » Jun 18th, '10, 02:43

I finally can watch episode 6 with sub. If there will be only more 2 episodes, I want to predict that Ren/Maemi supporters will be very unhappy with the ending. It is a normal pattern of loving, seperation, and then making up, isn't it? It recalls me about "Pride" somehow.
This is what I guess:

I think it seems to be obvious that Ren/XM will be together after all. I don't think that farewell will be the final one. XM left Ren because she thought he sold Ming out. After the truth is revealed, XM will forgive Ren as usual. That seperation scene was just something to comfort Ren/Maemi supporters for a temporary. I will not surprise at all seeing Ren goes after XM to Shanghai and disappear for a while, then come back to regain his throne at Regolith.

We know that Maemi loves Ren but there is still no sign so far showing a further bonding between Ren/Maemi more than a friendship from Ren's side, and I don't think it will have one. I mean if it did have, I would jump up and down.. but I don't think my dream will come true for this one!

Why do I guess it that way? Ren told Maemi that she didn't know him. That scene made me think that Ren has never had his eye on her more than a friend. He has never realized that Maemi does everything for him because of "him". So, what he said to her was interpreted the same way he treated Yuzuki to me. Meaning, they are not a pair in this drama. They may be bonded each other because of a length of time as a long-term friend but friendship, most of time, is still ended up as "a friend", isn't it? Moreover, he said he wanted to make XM to be happy. He has never said that to Maemi. Although his thank to Maemi may be from his heart, but it is telling me that is all he can do for her.

Ren was serious about marriage XM to the level of introducting his mother, it wasn't for the company as we thought. It's real for himself. I don't think Ren's mother will have any fluence to either his relationship with Maemi or his business. Otherwise, she would not ask Maemi "Are you still single?" and said about buying a few pieces of furniture to help the company's situation. Her apperance is just an ordinary mother who doesn't have a good relationship with her son.

Although Ren said that he couldn't change the way he lives, but that is, again, "a popular dialog" in a drama when a lover has problems, isn't it? I think his way of living will be changed for XM someway somehow due to his changing at Regolith. It's an easy one for the story to be developed that way.

At first, I thought Maemi's leaving would have an impact to the story and turn Ren/Maemi to the new chapter that many of us are waiting for. But I don't think there will be one. It doesn't matter if Maemi will leave Regolith because he is not there. It doesn't matter if Maemi will leave his side because he feels that XM's smile is "strong" for him. Normally, when someone said "I can do nothing for him", it's always a word from the leading character, the same as XM said to Maemi. On the other hand, when someone said "you can do for him", that person is always a supporting person, the same as Maemi said to XM.

Of course, Kazami will bow out and return Regolith to Ren at the end. Although the story convinces that Ren is a bad guy, but now it shows reasons behind those incidents that he isn't. And with Maemi's words so many time that "that guy is a good person", so a good guy will win for sure. I guess Ren's team will come back as the orginal start.. and that will be a happy ending for work, right?

Maemi's role seems to be a supporter for Ren finding his happiness, not for Ren and herself. I think this is why they didn't announce who is a leading actress since it might cause people to ignore the drama since the first hand.

The end!
Ahh.. I am in too much with the story. I need to eat something to calm myself down..LOL

jesamine

Post by jesamine » Jun 18th, '10, 03:08

lvtk, I like the way you think :)

I don't think what Ren and XM has are sexual, cos if it were, they would have slept together in the hotel room, but she slept on the couch instead, and they did have a few romantic moments (by the hotel pool where she saw the amenbo, and the lookout where someone took pictures of them), and as lvtk mentioned,
if he was just marrying her to save the company, he wouldn't have bothered to introduced her to his mum, and when she didn't turn up, didn't even at least stay at eat with his mum! That's kind of rude though lol, but I guess Ren is a guy who only thinks of his own selfish ambitions, so for him to say he wanted XM's happiness doesn't seem like sexual desire to me.
I hope there's more than 7 episodes though!