Will jdrama now become even more scarce?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
toyotaku

Will jdrama now become even more scarce?

Post by toyotaku » Jul 20th, '10, 13:04

This just started circulating on my twitter list about a man being arrested today in Japan for using bittorrent to share a television program he recorded. Could someone translate this article or anyone have more information? I know in the past they've been going after anime uploaders, but this seems to be non-anime (variety shows?).

http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=soc_30&k=2010072000256

Someone noted that the authorities were still mostly interested in uploaders, but since it became illegal to download now as well, that could start changing. I'm already missing a lot of detective dramas... are we going to start seeing even more things disappear for lack of encoders in Japan?

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 20th, '10, 13:19

i saw this here lol, has images..
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/587930.html

maglev_tgv

Post by maglev_tgv » Jul 21st, '10, 12:54

flinx

Post by flinx » Jul 21st, '10, 15:42

Sorry I didn't see this until now - posted here at first (can a mod merge these two topics?):

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_86970.htm

So yeah - it looks like it's ISKVCY.. you can have a look at his posts and see which shows we'll be missing. It's really kind of sad that the Japanese police targeted him, since everything he posted was shows that were shown on free-to-air broadcast TV, and most of them never got any kind of DVD release. I wish there was a way to help him.

The worrying thing at this point is that other people may be scared and stop posting. One thing we can do to get around it at this point is to change the initial point of seeding - by that I mean that Japanese BT posters should instead send directly to a member outside of Japan, and then have that person post and seed the posting. This can be coordinated through IRC, PMs or some other way.

I wouldn't mind doing the re-posting for Japanese variety shows. If anyone wants me to do that, feel free to contact me over PM and we can discuss the best way to do it.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 21st, '10, 15:55

thats worrying, i hope it wont affect d-addicts :(

knuts

Post by knuts » Jul 21st, '10, 16:00

flinx, thanks for the info

sad that a kind soul who was trying to do us a favor, is in trouble now
yes, how to help him?

I hope the police will let him go

looks like I had better start looking for other ways to watch J-tv

Phillykat

Post by Phillykat » Jul 21st, '10, 16:54

Looks like he was uploading mostly variety type of shows. Shame. He's unemployed, too. What kind of lawyer did he have I wonder.

dmthomas

Post by dmthomas » Jul 22nd, '10, 03:24

So is it impossible for Japanese authorities to arrest people outside of Japan?

I wonder if they'll work with the MPAA, etc in the US to send people letters or worse.

Is this why no one is uploading 1280x720 raws for most of the new doramas? I have most if not all of them, but now I'm afraid to seed.

flinx

Post by flinx » Jul 22nd, '10, 20:35

Impossible: no. Impractical: very. What usually happens is they hire a lawyer to send a cease & desist letter, if that. Most of the Japanese rights owners don't have representation outside Japan, which makes it a lot harder for them. I'm also sure they're more interested in going after Japanese source providers.

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Jul 24th, '10, 15:38

dmthomas wrote: Is this why no one is uploading 1280x720 raws for most of the new doramas? I have most if not all of them, but now I'm afraid to seed.
I think this is the main cause. Many Japanese encoders aren't sharing as freely on P2P now. :-(

Post by 1100 » Jul 26th, '10, 10:03

Does this mean the end for watching Music Japan? I love that show :-(

Edohiguma

Post by Edohiguma » Jul 26th, '10, 10:31

dmthomas wrote:So is it impossible for Japanese authorities to arrest people outside of Japan?
Yes, it is. Japanese authorities have no jurisdiction outside of Japan. Just like French authorities can't arrest anyone in China.

They could go through Interpol, but seeing that these guys are already overworked it wouldn't make much sense to get Interpol on such a case. They could also try and figure out where the downloader sits and get in contact with local police, however... Look, I don't think that any LEO in my country would move as much as just a little finger because some other LEO 6,000 miles away whines at him. LEOs in my country have enough work on their hands as it is (especially considering our skyrocketting crime rates.) They wouldn't come after me for downloading Hammer Session. There are bigger fish to catch.

Getting a lawyer in a country to send you a cease and decist order, well... not working. They have no way of finding out who you are without the help of your ISP, local police and an actual warrant. The ISP doesn't have to tell police anything without a warrant.

And hey, if Japanese tv stations would actually release more DVDs this wouldn't be such an issue anyway. Hey TBS, you ever going to publish the Kariya series? No? Then don't whine when I download it. I'm a potential buyer, but if you're not selling, what am I supposed to do? The only way to get it is to download it. So tv stations, make the stuff available, maybe even just as a paid download service from your servers. The technology for this exists. Why isn't anyone using it? I'm sure it would sell well.

dmthomas

Post by dmthomas » Jul 26th, '10, 11:49

Edohiguma wrote:And hey, if Japanese tv stations would actually release more DVDs this wouldn't be such an issue anyway.
If they actually released Blu-Rays of anything, it might actually be a competitive to the original broadcast that was in HD to begin with. I don't understand why they're stuck on DVDs only for everything still.

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » Jul 26th, '10, 11:59

1100 wrote:Does this mean the end for watching Music Japan? I love that show :-(
Hmm...I think Music Japan is safe, since you can get it here, or on JPopsuki, so, even if it disappears here, someone will get it off of JPopsuki, and seed it here. BTW, I never download it here, and I watch it every week, and the people seeding it there are westerners living in Japan, who are a little smarter in getting past events like this happening.

flinx

Post by flinx » Jul 27th, '10, 10:45

I'm not sure I'd say they're smarter, but more that since jpopsuki is invite-only, there's less chance of someone being busted, unless they add multiple trackers to a torrent for some reason.
dmthomas wrote:If they actually released Blu-Rays of anything, it might actually be a competitive to the original broadcast that was in HD to begin with. I don't understand why they're stuck on DVDs only for everything still.
BDs cost more to make than DVDs and outside of anime (because Japanese otaku are crazy), the market for them is still a lot smaller. It's also not worth it for most of the shows out there, especially variety shows and game shows and the like people are only going to watch once.

dmthomas

Post by dmthomas » Jul 27th, '10, 10:48

flinx wrote:BDs cost more to make than DVDs and outside of anime (because Japanese otaku are crazy), the market for them is still a lot smaller. It's also not worth it for most of the shows out there, especially variety shows and game shows and the like people are only going to watch once.
Define "make". In the US we have Blu-Ray sets for just about every TV show that was shown in HD. I find it hilarious that there's no legitimate way to purchase HD quality dramas when they've been broadcasting in HD for at least 5 years now.

Nothing like watching a show on TV crystal clear and widescreen and then buying a chopped off vomit-vision version for $200? WTF?

flinx

Post by flinx » Jul 27th, '10, 12:30

To give you an idea, when BD first came out, it cost around $50,000 to make a single disc - that's pre-production, authoring, QA, pressing etc. The break even point was around 20,000 discs or so. That's come down quite a lot since then, but there's still a much higher cost associated with creating BDs than DVDs. I also doubt that the majority of buyers of Japanese dramas care about whether something is in HD or not - they just want the show.