Kim Nam Gil

Discuss about your favourite Korean Actors and Actresses.
Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 27th, '10, 18:55

I am now rewatching Goodbye Solo. I liked it when it first came out and found it again this week on Dramacrazy. He looks younger here, but he is still the real actor and he takes every scene without going overboard. He is wonderful. Against Chun that takes some doing as he is also a responsible performer.
I know what you mean about the way he looks with or without the mustache. I do like the mustache and I think is reveals part of his personality which is not altogether the playing of a role. It makes me think that he has so many facets and he knows when to show whichever one he needs at the particular time. He is the good devil. Pokes you into trouble and then saves you.
Yes he would be one person to have a good conversation with once he trusted you.

So far I have not found him unattractive. At times he is just so natural and that warms my heart. I don't think I have exactly 'gushed' over him, although I have great admiration and the most pleasant feelings for him. I would sit down and talk with him about most anything and it would not have to be about acting and that in itself makes him a more interesting actor.
I used to gush about Kimura. I was younger... tho still older..... He can still melt my bones and any photgraph of him is gold to me. I like him as a professional. I admire his talents. He can do no wrong as far as I am concerned. I have a different aspect for Nam Gil but it is just as profound. It makes life very satisfying to know about these two men.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 27th, '10, 19:06

Myself I find him attractive and alluring in every face he can take on. In every shape and every time. Maybe the best when he was in Indonesia in January, speaking as he does, with a low, almost whispering voice, about the stuff he saw and what he was unable to help with. he did what he could there. But still he felt like he could do more.

I find him like a well. Old, with a stone lid all covered with moss. There are some irises all around, but wild now, not touched with a human hand. You can expect the water inside will be stagnant and musty, but once you lift up the cover, you will see the clearest water you could imagine. Cold, but refreshing.

I liked also his performance in Lovers. Honestly, I didn't care at all about the main couple, all I wanted was the right hand^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 27th, '10, 19:22

Total agreement in Lovers. although I do like Lee whatsis. He is quite attractive in real life. Man about town and likes the ladies for sure.

But the story was very involved in Lovers and the supporting roles were really compelling.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 27th, '10, 19:26

The story was somewhat fresh, not usual Kdrama plot. I mean how often we see that the main character goes to prison? He was that kind of character I didn't know whether I like him or not. Well played.
But supporting cast and their work was brilliant in this drama. They took the whole spotlight.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 28th, '10, 05:01

Lee Seo Jin was also in a drama called 'PHOENIX' It was also a very different kind of treatment. I have watched it a couple of times and it doesn't become stale. Good cast and it was an introduction to that SHINWA member playing his first role I think. Name? Name ..wait a minute....Eric. that is it. Now in the military but should be coming out soon.

I would like to watch it again. It was a good yarn. There was a crazy role played by a very pretty actress. She is actually such a normal girl happily married with two or three babes. Jung Hye Yung her name.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 29th, '10, 15:37

Some new pics just before his shaving off^^
right here
Damn, he's sooo slim, it looks like the last months were hell.
Get some rest!

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 29th, '10, 18:34

OK.. well re pics. YUMMY is good enough for me. He is gorgeous. May I say that?

There was a photo somewhere on the Hancinema site which was new to me. He looked OK but so thin.

I still can't watch Bad Guy. I put it on.. but then he started having to fight off that weird guy who wanted money. It was too painful to see KNG falling down and rolling over. His poor legs. Even Jae Woo was mixed up in it ...In the snow ...on a bridge. I was afraid one of them would go over the rail.

I don''t think I can really watch that drama. He is just too good at showing the character in all his emotional upheaval and pain and anger. KMG is too good.

Peg

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 29th, '10, 18:38

Ethlenn.
Before I forget. I am not in the right thread and I can't find where Ha Jung Woo was mentioned with a small photo. Anyway... I just want to say that if you haven't already seen it you should certainly watch the film .'Never Forever' He is incredible in that film and really can't see any other actor who coule be so outstanding. He is powerful in the quietest way.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 29th, '10, 18:46

I seriously cried yesterday while watching Episode 15 and I'm in the such bad mood ever since. It was like if someone just strangled me and a heartbeat before my last breath let it go with grim smile, cause I know the next week will be the same.
They intensified this drama over my nerves.
Plus KNG's acting is just... damn if it wasn't for him, I don't know if I cared, but his tears can just make a Vengeance God out of me... without reason though.

Ha Jung Woo:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_86113_15.htm
Haven't seen Never Forever but now I will^^

Been rewatching QSD, but with worse and worse mood. Cause knowing what will happen is even worse to see his character acting like that. He went a long road. Long, but unfortunately he just stumbled once and rolled down with a thunder.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 29th, '10, 19:29

Thanks for the 'warning', Ethlenn. I'm only at 13 but now i'll wait for ep. 17 to come out before i continue watching. It's too hard to be left hanging after such powerful performances.
If it wasn't for him, this drama would be unwachable. KNG really needs to have strong actors by his side. For now i feel the only one he doesn't completely outact with his performance is Oh Yun Soo. Just watching him express all those complicated feelings makes me mirror them, he really induces pain and loathing or love and yearning with just one glance. Also it's like he's an actor i can only enjoy in small doses cause he's too good to be just gobbled down ;)

Thanks for the rec, Peggy. Also haven't seen Never Forever but I'm slowly working myself through Ha's works. So far he delivered brilliant performances in everything i saw. That guy's someone i just can't not admire. To me, he was alluring even in the chaser, i wasn't scared at all, just wanted to see more of him...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 29th, '10, 19:40

Aww, ara, you are just a tough girl if you wasn't scared by him in Chaser, brr... it still gives me shivers.

As I wrote someplace, in this drama there are only two actors that can deliver any emotions, main male lead, and Oh Yun Soo, of course.
I have really no idea how they fix everything in two episodes, but...
KNG just came and stormed everyone on the plan, he's just an actor everyone should has as a role model in acting. He's able to deliver every emotion, reagardless of the situation. And he doesn't need words. He doesn't even shouts, cause he knows that whisper is sometimes more terryfying that shout.
And that devil knows the trick. As you said, he projects his emotions on us. When he's hurt, I feel physical pain, when he's laughing, I'm wriggling on floor with laughter too, when he threats, I'm booking a ticket to the moon. One way.

He's just complete.
ImageImage
And not that drastic:
my animal side just took over and I ripped off... umm... nevermind...

BTW. my OST for Bad Guy just came^^ and I'm ripping it right now^^ Will upload in few minutes :cheers:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 29th, '10, 20:55

Aww the second picture!! Breathtaking. He's a guy you couldn't even go *kyaa* about if you wanted to cause he makes you loose your voice and takes away your breath. When I first laid eyes on him i couldn't imagine myself sitting in front of the screen, staring at his pictures for long minutes, incapable to even form a proper thought. Ethlenn, thanks to you, this man has realy grown on me. I love you just for that :) Good night dear!

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 29th, '10, 21:10

I think i should try some KNG myself too now that you keep talking about him :P

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 29th, '10, 23:32

I think I don't want him to be complete. That would be the end of him. He is a powerful work in the making with all living parts and all powerful emotions available to him. I don't want him to be complete....there is more to that man, as well as more to the actor in him.

Really there aren't many actors like Nam Gil. I mean there are a few, but you count them on one hand. They don't all shine like he does, even the good ones.

I think Nam Gil is just like a beautiful snake that has just shed his old skin and the new one is brilliant and shiny . He will use many skins and they will all be brilliant.

If you've ever watched a snake shed it's skin then you know what I am saying.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 30th, '10, 00:48

I know, and funny things, I'm fascinated by snakes.
I added few more new pics dug up in the dead of night when I can't sleep.
I have insomnia I think, it's been two weeks already. But I'm sleepy during the days, when I want to take a nap, my sleepyness just disappear and I'm fighting again with blanket and mattress.
Pics are here:
Before he disappeared

I quoted you, Arakira, hope you don't mind^^

But I meant he's complete in the way that he knows what he wants. He wants to be even better actor and his doing this. I was reading an interview on Lovers Vanished premiere, and, seriously, if I haven't been in love already, I would fall in love just knowing this. His method of understanding his character is so profound, his insight is deep, but first of all, he takes the deep insight into himself.
Q: This is a passionate melodrama which also draws on the meeting of a man and woman with tragic fates. Were there any difficulties in expressing their pain?
Hwang: It's a passionate melodrama but there actually was no explicit expression of emotions. I actually had a hard time because I had to control my acting. We had to show restraint in expressing our love in everything we do. I could not cry nor laugh too much and our conversations had to be restrained too. That's what was most hardest about the acting.
Kim: My character Soo-in has no choice but to be passive when it comes to his emotions so I thought hard about how I would be able to express that in a controlled and classy way because I could make the viewers feel frustrated if I wasn't careful. And it's a passionate melodrama but the scenario said Soo-in and Mi-ah don't hold hands even once. But even from just reading the scenario, I felt that I would really want to hold her hand or hug her. Not because of wanting to have physical contact with her but because it's so frustrating to see how the two's emotions escalate to a climax. (laugh) So I had a hard time shooting every scene because I was trying to figure out how I could effectively portray those elements. I also had to lose a lot of weight because of the situation Soo-in was in. I lost so much weight that people became suspicious that I had gotten plastic surgery. But it was nothing compared to the amount Kim Myung-min lost for film "Closer to Heaven" so it didn't become an issue which I was a bit disappointed over. (laugh) Emotion-wise, Soo-in was supposed to feel a sense of isolation but I liked to goof around with the staff on set so the director isolated me on purpose to help me focus.
Oh, and one more thing:
http://kr.news.yahoo.com/event/sda2010/ ... actor.html
Kim Nam Gil nim is on the second place, so vote, ladies!

There isn't many actors and human beings like this one out there.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 30th, '10, 01:35

this contest and voting is ridiculous. How can the actor in first even be in the contest. he is a nice boy and a pleasant singer but he is definitely not the type of actor who knows what he is doing.
Kim Nam Gil is way ahead of this first named person.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 30th, '10, 11:13

I know, but what can we do?
Lee Seung Ki is seen as an actor, so...
Lee Byung Hun too, despite he's a royal jerk.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 30th, '10, 18:35

As I stated there, it is an honour! Hope you'll continue providing us with pics and little snippets like the above interview part. As I won't be able to learn Korean, not even for an actor like him, I'll depend on you for the time being ;)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 30th, '10, 18:55

If you admire Kim Nam Gil please click on the link that Ethlenn gives for the 'yahoo news page;' Then click on Actor and then scroll down to the photo of KNG and click on the little box and then click on his name. We need to give him more support.

I am not the type to vote in these things but I can't believe that he is second to that little lad who is a singer.

Peggy

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 30th, '10, 20:00

OK, here's the thing:

You can vote for the best actor in Seoul Drama Awards. SDA is a ceremony of awarding the best actors in East Asia, you can vote for one from those countries (South Korea, japan, Taiwan, China) or just for one and only one. Like me.
Plus, if you fill the questionnaire (you don't have to), you may be elligible to win some. Last year was it a ticket to the gala.
Some Korean websites don't work on Firefox, if it happens, try IE.
Yes, once a day, so I will be voting from my pc and my sister's pc (different IPs), hehe. I always cheat, so what?
As Peggy said, it's a shame (and sham), that not an actor is leading, and the third one (OK, I'm in such a horrible mood I stop here) is Lee Byung Hun.
So far Lee Seung Ki (hell, since Baeksang this March I had no idea who's he): Vote Result : 3,362
Kim nam Gil-nim: Vote Result : 524

Kim Nam Gil-nim deserves our support!

Ara, love, I will provide as much as I can, because He's worth it.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 30th, '10, 21:21

sorry but my vote is going for OJH. :P i know he's no where near KNG but i still like to support the one i love. after all, every little counts :wub:

ps, keep telling me that my phone number is invalid :crazy:
pss. country code, area code, are they talking about phone number codes? because i do write them and they don't work

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 30th, '10, 21:49

I know, love.
Last year KNG wasn't even listed, hehe...
The vote is valid even without filling the form.

I wrote them about problems from Europe, be waiting for the reply.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 30th, '10, 21:52

Ethlenn wrote:I know, love.
Last year KNG wasn't even listed, hehe...
The vote is valid even without filling the form.

I wrote them about problems from Europe, be waiting for the reply.
:crazy: it does not go through :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 30th, '10, 22:37

Still waiting for the reply, considering it's around 8 am in Korea, someone should reply in few hours.

I wrote them about what exactly problems we are dealing with. Hope they can make something with this, and if not, I will write a complain letter.
I will make the big heads in Korea aware of neglected Europe! :cussing:

PLUS: voting doesn't work in Firefox.

aility

Post by aility » Jul 30th, '10, 23:23

Good to know I wasnt the only one having the voting problem. I started to feel a bit stupid, hehehe...

And yes to make a ruckus for discrimination the fans in Europe!!! Hwaiting Ethlenn!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 1st, '10, 13:52

I'm still waiting for the response, but I don't have much time left before my leave, I will be out from this Friday on, so if I don't get anything from them until Wednesday, I will write them again. A less pleasant mail.
Come to think of it, I was too polite maybe.

Ok, if we wanna cheat:
here is the address of the Korean Culture and Information Service (fortunately I didn't throw away the enveloppe):
15 Hyojaro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, Korea 110-040
Tel. 82-2-398-1915-20
If you really want, just browse the map of Seoul, ie. and write something along in the questionnaire, change the last 7 numbers and you will get Korean telephone number. Or you can go an extra mile (I know I would, but I can be really focused), just browse other cities. I know it's cheating, but they are screwing us.
I am patient, but my patience has its limits. Especially when KNG position is at stake. I slated SBS in the letter on his behalf, I can slate SDA Commitee, I don't care.

I dig out some nice videos, so in few hours I will post them on the blog.
Somehow blogger video renderer just distorts videos, so I have to find better solution.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 1st, '10, 19:21

Please keep trying to get into this site and vote for Kim Nam Gil. I have never been interested in any voting for anyone before in any thing. Now I see the whole thing is really a scam but I would truly like to see Kim Nam Gil get a larger vote. Tell everyone you know to vote for this wonderful actor. thank you so much. :-)

Peggy

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 2nd, '10, 00:40

Aww, I don't like rankings too, but since I voted in MBC and SBS last December, I voted now too.

Every ranking favors someone and neglects another one. It's most likely exactly like in life, when we make preparations. We just take some facts into consideration, not all of the possibilities. Because the list would be endless.

I'm honing slowly me scythe... And there will be blood.

PS. Videos are up :salut:

izabela1986

Post by izabela1986 » Aug 2nd, '10, 21:55

Hi everyone, this is my first message here, so please be kind with me. I read all that you wrote here about Kim Nam Gil, and i also tried to vote him, but as Issy said, is keep telling me that my phone number is invalid. What should i do? I tried to vote from Firefox as well as from IE, but with the same negative results. :-(

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 2nd, '10, 23:12

Well when I click on this link

I don't get anything asking me for my phone number. It just shows a page of pictures of various actors (I click on vote for ACTORS) and then put my click on the little box under Nam Gil's photo and then click on his name there and it seems to work. I have checked back to see if the tally goes up, and it does.

I don't click on anything that says any specific language because it comes up in English for me.

Why do they want a phone number? I think that is probably for Asian voters. Maybe.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 2nd, '10, 23:24

The form that is required to be filled is below, it appears after clicking on that purple button at the bottom of the page.
The only response from them was that the voting IS valid without filling it.
And yes, they require the Korean address and number. They wrote that they are working on the improvement. But the filling the form is when you want to participate in a winning lottery (forgot what there is). So I wrote them that we want no prize, we want normal voting.

But it was a short message from them, so I'm anticipating more detailed. If not...

izabela1986

Post by izabela1986 » Aug 2nd, '10, 23:27

It's in English also, i don't know Korean, Chinese or Japanese. But under the picture (on vote for ACTORS) its says "Selection". I put my click there but nothing happens, so i go down the page and there is written: "Complete the Selection of Stars from 5 Nations and Participate in the Vote". Here is where they asks us about phone number and country code and other stuffs. I hope i made myself clear because i wanna vote for KNG!!!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 2nd, '10, 23:36

There should be a popping up window with confirmation what series the actor comes from. And X to close it. If no pop up window, vote is not counted. And one more time, it works in IE. (I managed to vote in Firefox, but I guess I can manage everything except for SBS bosses and SDA heads...).
I checked voting in Japanese and Korean (don't know Chinese, aility, pliiiis^^), but it's the same.

As I said, vote is valid, the form is for the lottery. Nevertheless, I'm preparing to write them second letter. Longer. Angrier.

And izabela1986, believe me, if you voted for someone else, I would personally get after you. With a scythe...

But you know, this voting is on MOST POPULAR, not The Best. We know who's the best...

Ranking:
Kim Nam Gil-nim:
Title : The Great Qu..
Vote Result : 1,074

Lee Seung Ki
Title : Brilliant Le..
Vote Result : 6,306

izabela1986

Post by izabela1986 » Aug 2nd, '10, 23:48

Ethlenn, please don't kill me, i also like KNG and i think he should win this. And about voting, i tried in IE also, and is the same, no pop-up window. Why? I'm really sad

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 2nd, '10, 23:52

OK, here's the thing. Under the picture of an actor there is this small box, right?
When you clicked on it, it should became purple, arajji? Then click on the actual picture of an actor (yes, slap Bidam on hissss.... umm...). A pop up window shouls appear. Click on the CLOSE you will see.

Personally I don't think KNG should win this. Yes, my love, I said it, it's a proof of my hard love! You shouldn't win! Cause it's a contest for the most popular. He started to be reckognized (yess, even my dumb Korean friends know him now), but he's not THAT popular still.

Who's Seung Ki anyway?

izabela1986

Post by izabela1986 » Aug 2nd, '10, 23:58

I already done that. Click on that little box under the pic (it says Selection) and then on his actual face. A pop up window apears, but it sais actor informations and nothing more. Its blank. The vote results is still the same. Maybe if i try tomorrow, it will work, here is almost 3 am.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 3rd, '10, 00:02

No no no. You can vote once a day, that's true, but the votes results shouls not be the same.

As I said, I'm waiting till Wednesday. If nothing's changing, I will write them again.

But I gave a method to cheat a little on the previous page... (if we keep quiet, maybe they will not find out^^).
They're dumb anyway, aigoo...

izabela1986

Post by izabela1986 » Aug 3rd, '10, 00:11

Thanks Ethlenn, we'll see tomorrow if it works, and if not, then all is left is for you to write them. Now i'm angry too, and i hate going to bed like this.They really are dumb for making the site going that bad!! I'm from Europe, so? I can't vote for a Korean actor??? Why?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 3rd, '10, 00:21

Good, you're one more to the collection. Now I'll write we have few more infuriated Westerners.
I'm not going to let this unnoticed.

aility

Post by aility » Aug 3rd, '10, 09:24

Well, it does say that our votes are not valid until we fill in entering code thingie (which is basically filling in the personal info???) meaning, European voters cant vote?????!! I am confused... and I dont get any pop up windows which confirms my vote either. AISH!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 3rd, '10, 11:02

Strange, I did get the pop up message which confirmed voting. That is why when I wanted to check and tried to vote again, I got another window saying: sorry, you voted today.

Damn, this is messed up. Damn, I'm in the bad mood because of that...

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 3rd, '10, 11:23

I used to have the same problem as aily.
It worked after trying out some random telephone numbers: I used 022 and 123 in the end :lol

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 3rd, '10, 11:28

As I said,
we need to cheat a bit.
Even if I get the detailed response, I don't think they will fix it this year, perhaps the next.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 3rd, '10, 21:56

Ethlenn

Section TV 6.18.10

I just set it for d.l Will I be successful without a seed.

Peg

Never mind...got the cuts from the log. they were good. Thanks.
Last edited by Peggy on Aug 3rd, '10, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 3rd, '10, 22:08

arakira wrote:I used to have the same problem as aily.
It worked after trying out some random telephone numbers: I used 022 and 123 in the end :lol
i am going to try this numbers now,
OJH, Issy's vote is on its way :mrgreen: feeling sorry anf gulity for poor JH. and i did not notice that dude with highest votes is from briliant legacy that i am watching these days and not liking him a bit. :P

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 3rd, '10, 22:10

Peggy, You want that show?
I should have it somewhere, I can either put it up as torrent or DDL for you^^
Cause it was sooo good epiosode^^

But I made a cut with KNG and put it somewhere on my blog... I have no idea where, to be honest...
OK, I found:
Section TV cuts

Aww, I voted for JH from my sis computer. Felt guity as well.
Have you seen JKS on the list, cause I didn't. I guess he's crying cuddling some sparkly teddy bear in his pink room.
And Issy, me too, sashireun (honestly) I dropped that series last year cause of him.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 3rd, '10, 22:25

the drama is good enough to watch but i don't know who chose him to be the male lead in this drama? not likable at all. and as usual, i think me and you are in minority considering the high votes he got so far :unsure:
i am liking Bae Soo Bin there because he is also in Dong Yi and i really like his character. i wish he was the lead in BL. talking about DY, good for Han Hyo Joo for having the most votes in kactresses section. she is the only one that has not annoyed me with her acting so far and i liked her in every drama that i saw of her 8)

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 3rd, '10, 23:31

Wait, brilliant legacy is shining inheritance, right? Haha one of the first kdrama i watched but that guy left no impression whatsoever... Thought I'd never seen him before :lol

I'm exhausted and insomnia is back so I'm watching King of Baking now. The kids are better actors than their grown up versions but somehow, the lead has some potential. Haha Ethlenn-sempai, help, I'm drooling over boys again :unsure:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 4th, '10, 00:11

Ethlenn.
I may be somewhat befuddled by wine but I think somewhere I edited a post and said not to worry re that d.l I got the cuts on your blog. Have to admit sometimes I get so many links going that I get tied up.

Are you really going. Oh dear. I shall miss you.

Have to mention that all my trying to get MSmessenger has robbed me of one of my favourite things. I now can't get my Media Center to work. I am keeping my fingers away for the time being. I wanted to record Wang Guhn which shows on TV after midnight. I was getting fractured by watching it every night and not being able to function in the mornings following. I wanted to record after going to bed but something is messed up with MsM. Not to worry...I will continue to be fractured.

It's the wine.

Peg :roll

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 4th, '10, 00:13

Forgot to say..that inheritance drama ws not very good.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 4th, '10, 00:21

Yeah, King of Baking is really great, I'm enjoying it every week. And funny thing, cause KNG said his family prefers to watch this drama than his, hehe. An honest lad...
I love him for that^^

Aww, I really hated Brilliant legacy (Shining Inheritance), I could never get back to this drama, there was something that put me off in it, maybe it was because Seung Ki couldn't act? Or drama was cheesy, too cheesy for my taste (and I really like cheese).
I hated Han Hyo Joo in Iljimae, but then again, I hated the drama, so... There was Moon Ji Yoon whom I liked in QSD, that is why when I started to watch Iljimae, I thought he can save the show. He couldn't.
And don't try any Lee Jun Ki is cute. May be, but he's an average actor. He was good in King and the Clown, but th whole movie was good and "ruin-proof" as I call it.

Peggy, but if you want the whole show...I can upload it somewhere, or put it on uTorrent again. I think I had too much wine today as well. It's all because I'm really dreaded on the smallest thought of going home.

Yes, I'm going this Friday.
I'm missing you already. To quote "Goong": even if I'm seeing (writing) you, I'm missing you still.
Peggy, you really need to have your msn fixed, we are missing you in our talks!!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 4th, '10, 01:10

OK, ladies, I got the response.
Dear Ethlenn,

This is Jay Ha, chief programmer of SDA.

Firstly, I appreciate your interest of SDA.

The Popularity Vote on Yahoo are running on 3 different languages for aiming at Asian countries such as China, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Korea who are interested in this vote mainly .
This year is the first year to broaden the country from Korea only to 5 major Asian countries.
We can't expand to the other Continents because we can't afford it.
But, if you are interested in this vote, you can vote it through the way you've done before.

The reason why we ask to fill the survey form is to prevent indiscriminate overlapping vote.

I wish your understand.

Jay
(almost all message, there was some other message, umm... well)...
That means the vote without filling is valid. Make sure that you will click on the actor's image to prompt the pop up window show.

Finally!! Now I believe I can do everything!
You hear me, KNG??

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 4th, '10, 02:08

Yes well I somehow think that is not what is happening at my end.
I click on the vote and then click on the photo and up pops the next window but there is no photo of KNG there is blank square with the notation that this actor in in QSD. nothing else. then I click where it says to go back to the vote and I get all the photos again and see my vote but I now am not sure it gets recorded.

By the way the vote is now up to around 6 thousand plus for our loved one. That is the total amount.
I clicked on a lot of things today but I don't think I learned much.

You will know we are thinking of you won't you? don't do anything rash with that scythe.

Peg ;-(

izabela1986

Post by izabela1986 » Aug 4th, '10, 12:05

Peggy wrote: I click on the vote and then click on the photo and up pops the next window but there is no photo of KNG there is blank square with the notation that this actor in in QSD. nothing else. then I click where it says to go back to the vote and I get all the photos again and see my vote but I now am not sure it gets recorded.
I came back to vote but i got the same results as Peggy

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 4th, '10, 12:35

Yes, the blank pop up window with just name of the drama. Then just click on the "close" word (or X sign inside the window), not the one that is usually used to closed the window. And your vote is counted.

I explicitly asked is the voting without filling the form valid, and they said yes.

I hope our loved one can feel the big amount of love flowing towards him^^ No, scratch that, actually I'm sure he feels it^^ :mrgreen:

Peggy, I forgot I didn't put the link to download the video, aww. I'm on my way to fix this^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 4th, '10, 18:58

Peggy, download link is under the video on the blog. Click on the link one more time. I fixed it. But still, there is JJY in it, muahahahaa!!!

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 4th, '10, 19:15

Ok and thanks Ethlenn

I think some of my MSM problems are to do with my local provider. Just got an apology from them and discount off next bill as they have been screwing around with cables and adding channels. I am not going to complain because they added two Japanese and one more Chinese and one more Korean channel. YAY ! ! ! !

They are still doing stuff becuase my PC stopped in the middle of SMAP concert song and then high pitch whistled at me. So I switched all off and waited. Now up and running again.

Don't know if you are driving or flying or going by horse, but have a good trip my dear. I vision you flying through the trees a la 'DAMO' girl. How cool would that be. Such an entrance finally.

Ah well we can all dream.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 4th, '10, 19:34

Your vision is great! I will be flying through the trees when I'm there. On my bike. And in the area where I'm 1000% sure there are no wolves. Not even a dead one.

A Korean station too? Whhaa, I'm so envious!! I wish I could have a TV on my PC too, and record my favorite shows... eh..

But it's so weird they are doing it without noticing you beforehand.
I say, stop screwing with Peggy's internet, we need HER!!

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 4th, '10, 21:43

Peg, you're getting Japanese and Korean channels?!? I'm so envious ;) Hope your msn will be fixed soon, now that the source of the problem is known.
Btw, did you hear about the rumors, that Kimura will lead some taiga in 2012, about Taira no Kiyomori, based on the Heike Monogatari... I so hope that's true. Think I'm about to develop a thing for period dramas =)

There's a brand new LJ-com for our Kim Nam Gil . There's also a nice description on how to vote for the drama award. Apparently voting in all 3 languages and with different browsers is possible. Check it out, if you use livejournal.
(btw, Ethlenn, the maintainer is also a huge fan of your JJY )

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 4th, '10, 21:48

Yes, I know, she wrote it on my blog.

Really, Kimura will play Kiyomori? Then Japanese will have to like that person, hehe. He has not the best opinion in history.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 4th, '10, 22:05

Yes, yanie wrote the producer described him as a mischieveous scoundrel instead of a dictator. A perfect role for Kimura, ne. Don't know much about Japanese history at that time, at least not about personalities but after romance taiga with Gou they'll have a nice contrast if the next one is about a vicious bad ass guy :lol

(Still not finished QSD, somehow with period drama I can't watch in one go...gonna come asking for recs once i finished)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 4th, '10, 22:44

Arakira.

Yes... well I spend a chunk of money on my PC and TV programming. That's because I stay in my little cave most of the time. Vacations are a thing of the past and I love my internet journeys and the friends I have made. Some of them are only mild talking about dramas, but others that I find are truly fascinating and intelligent people. This is the place where I am at this precise moment. I am on your bandwagon for ever. Hope you don't mind....
I have channels on TV for English which are scores of course. I have Spanish channels. Large numbers. I have about six or seven Korean channels. I have about four Chinese. One or two from Beijing and a couple from Taiwan. Have now three Japanese I think.Two are NHK. Interesting documentaries and of course many dramas. Just finished re watching MR.BRAIN with my Takuya Kimura. Now watching the latter part of 'Ryomaden' with English subs by the way. I can also watch it without since it is repeated about four times over the weekends. Lots of dramas. Lots of music shows. Lots of wonderful 'journey; shows. Saw lovely Kyoto gardens and then some of the castles in Japanese history.
Oh there are also Filipino channels and Russian and a few that I don't even recognise.I think maybe from Eastern Europe.

It's no wonder I am sleep deprived.
That is a nice journal for Nam Gil. Nice photos and some excerpts from his dramas and films.
Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 5th, '10, 00:54

Honestly, they don't have any photo I don't have, hehe...
And I have much more.

Honestly, I was always bored with internet and chatting and forums. The longest I managed to participate (not frequently), was one of Placebo's forums, but I quit after 4 months. I get bored when I don't find anyone to talk to. And fangirls are crazy and scary.
Somehow this place is the one I feel like home, mostly because great and beautiful people I met here. This is the place I check the most often, almost first page I open after waking up.
I think it's the people and actual content of it. I've been interested in Asian dramas for about 1.5 year, that is why I'm inexperienced and I'm happy to learn some. I've been interested in Asian movies for 10 years, and I'm willing to share. I've ben interested in JJY & KNG for 4 years, and I'm... actually... sharing is caring, but keep your hands to yourself, ladies!

That is why I feel uneasy to leave you for 3 weeks. Maybe I got accustomed to uploading, and I spend my whole days downloading, converting and uploading. Sometimes searching for something nice, translating and so on. This is really addictive, you should try.

Maybe I got attached to you all. And I hope we will meet here again, and this thread will pass 20 pages while I'm absent.
Come to think of it, it's like going to the military too...

And about Japan history: Taira Kiyomori grabbed the power in 1156, when he with Minamoto Yoshitomo supressed the rebellion. Taira was awarded, Minamoto wasn't. So mInamoto rebelled. taira slaughtered ALMOST all members of Minamoto and from 1159 he ruled just like Fujiwaras. His grandson became even the Emperor Antoku (poor kid, lived 9 years). In 1180 Minamoto grew back (like hydra) and started the war, called Gempei (源平合戦). Taira were all crushed in the battle of Dannoura in 1185.
In 1192 Minamoto Yoritomo got the title of shogun, but his dynasty lasted only for his 2 sons (they killed off each other, I mean the whole family was messed up(, and his wife Masako de domo Hojo took the power.
Yeah, Kiyomori was a cunning one. he doesn't have the best reputation.
But taira were known for their love for arts. That is what heike monogatari says (yes, we HAD to read it in original, bungo, which is hell.).
BUT! Kiyomori founded beautiful shrine Itsukushima-jinja (Miyajima). Sorry I'm to lazy to give links.
:mrgreen:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 5th, '10, 02:05

I am looikng forward to seeing how they do this taiga. Had message from yanie and she said there were rumours they were looking at it as a 'Godgather' type of treatment ! !

Well it might work at that. Desperate days and desperate men. They seem to be looking at the 'leader of the pirate band' times when they were involved in Chinese trade etc.

I know that Kimura wants to play stronger more serious roles and limit the romancing as he gets older. I think if he gets a few serious roles under his belt he just might go back and do some hot and heavy love dramas. Just a thought...and a strong wish of course.

As long as he does not do a Johnny Depp as the pirate leader I will be content.

Peg

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 5th, '10, 02:08

Yes it is like you going into the military. People with strong auras are always difficult to release. Glad you are not going for two years.
I shall keep on thinking of you in the trees and flying through the tops and getting furious when the birds get in the way.

think of us down here on the ground. and especially think of me trying to get rid of seven years of papertrail stuff. You will hear the shredder I think. Oh for an oldfashioned fire place.

Peg

aility

Post by aility » Aug 5th, '10, 10:57

Woaah, the voting system now works fine! And I am doing just as instructed in the link ara provided :salut:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 5th, '10, 11:04

Voting always worked.

Vote for me too ladies, starting from tomorrow! I hope I will be back when they announce the winners (Aug. 30).

Peggy, I will be thinking of you all out there, rest assured^^

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 5th, '10, 11:11

Haha no wonder Kiyomori sounded familar. My head's really a mess. I only went there this spring and did some reading about the Island...He seems to be an interesting personality, fit for a drama and I'm with you peg, I'd like to see Kimura in some more serious roles and movies, but please not something like 'I come with the rain'!!
Btw, Ethlenn, you keep surprising me, I knew you studied Japanese, but being able to read Bungo, now that's really something!!

Still can't believe you'll exile yourself for 3 weeks, but I said nuff bout that before. I'll just be waiting here for you and keep the fireplace ready to fan the embers once you return ;)
Honestly, I think 3 weeks without the net is like a meditation exercise or a detoxification. It must be hard but benefitting :lol

Peg, that journey through kyoto, is it available online?? I loved Kyoto's gardens. Would be nice to take a virtual stroll from time to time!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 5th, '10, 11:25

Aww, I will keep busy. I have around 10 interviews and articles printed with KNG to translate, so...
Plus my studies require something, so I need to translate as well.
Plus I need to have a time to do completely nothing. For about 2 hours a week. You keep this thread growing!

Yes, we had bungo classes, and it was a nightmare. I mean, this is so messed up language that has little in common with modern Japanese. We were so frustrated, but in the end it turned out good. I was able to read Konjaku Monogatari, and Akutagawa's work, so... But still I have Konjaku in double version (bungo with modern Japanese translation).

I would like to see that documentary on Kyoto too!

And the whole interview about Lovers Vanished:
Q: Love between a man and woman is not a new topic. What differentiates "Lovers Vanished" from the already existent numerous romantic films and novels?
Cho Chang-ho (Cho): The first phrase that pops into mind when I think about this movie is 'maximization of emotion.' "Vanished" asks how a person overcome with despair can continue to exist and become curious about his future. I wanted to deliver that message by showing the process of how the two actors try to achieve their love.

Q: Hwang Woo Seul-hye and Kim Nam-gil, you are both regarded promising actors. Are there any particular reasons you chose to take on this film?
Hwang Woo Seul-hye (Hwang): I cried as soon as I started reading the scenario. And my eyes were brimming with tears when I met with the director too. (laugh) I really liked the scenario -- I like ones that read well because I think they would be high in cinematic quality too.
Kim Nam-gil (Kim): Like her, I liked the scenario too. To the extent that although I have little acting experience, I thought it was the best scenario I've ever read. I think I'm drawn to movies with scenarios like this.

Q: You both had to play characters who have been hurt a lot. Were there any difficulties?
Hwang: I really wanted to take on this role because it was completely different from the roles I had taken on in the past -- I had never played such a role. I wanted to take the part so badly that I told myself I would do my best till the very end, no matter what difficulties I go through. Of course, I was scared when we were filming since I had to play the main female character and it was not easy portraying her because Mi-ah is such a mature girl.
Kim: I talked a lot to the director and Hwang about the situation my character was in and put a lot of thought into creating him by utilizing the brief experiences I have had in acting as best as I could.

Q: Have you ever been hurt by love like your character Soo-in from the movie?
Kim: I think maybe twice or three times. I'm not old but I have painful memories regarding my past relationships. In movies, it seems like some people find new meaning to life when they go to meet the one they love but my experiences with love didn't involve me going to death's door or anything. Though I thought it was a matter of life and death at the time. (laugh) The emotions of love I experienced turned out to be very weak compared to that shown in the movie.

Q: In the movie, you, Hwang Woo Seul-hye, was good at magic and Kim Nam-gil at cooking. It must've been pretty tough having to learn those skills on top of having to act.
Kim: I actually don't cook anything other than ramen at home. Between cooking and acting, I'm personally not sure which is harder. I know acting is my job but it was difficult to portray my character Soo-in because there were things I didn't understand about him. And I put in a lot of effort into trying to depict him as a chef but that too was difficult. No matter what type of work it is -- acting or doing narrating work -- I've realized that nothing comes easy because I experience my limit everytime.
Hwang: The process of learning how to do magic was more difficult than the acting. (laugh) It was my first time at it and my body just couldn't keep up with the various moves I had to put on. The hand motions were hard too so it was tough overall but also fun.

Q: This is a passionate melodrama which also draws on the meeting of a man and woman with tragic fates. Were there any difficulties in expressing their pain?
Hwang: It's a passionate melodrama but there actually was no explicit expression of emotions. I actually had a hard time because I had to control my acting. We had to show restraint in expressing our love in everything we do. I could not cry nor laugh too much and our conversations had to be restrained too. That's what was most hardest about the acting.
Kim: My character Soo-in has no choice but to be passive when it comes to his emotions so I thought hard about how I would be able to express that in a controlled and classy way because I could make the viewers feel frustrated if I wasn't careful. And it's a passionate melodrama but the scenario said Soo-in and Mi-ah don't hold hands even once. But even from just reading the scenario, I felt that I would really want to hold her hand or hug her. Not because of wanting to have physical contact with her but because it's so frustrating to see how the two's emotions escalate to a climax. (laugh) So I had a hard time shooting every scene because I was trying to figure out how I could effectively portray those elements. I also had to lose a lot of weight because of the situation Soo-in was in. I lost so much weight that people became suspicious that I had gotten plastic surgery. But it was nothing compared to the amount Kim Myung-min lost for film "Closer to Heaven" so it didn't become an issue which I was a bit disappointed over. (laugh) Emotion-wise, Soo-in was supposed to feel a sense of isolation but I liked to goof around with the staff on set so the director isolated me on purpose to help me focus.

Q: Kim, your drama "Bad Guy," which is completely opposite from this film, will air right afterwards, and then you'll be leaving for the army.
Kim: My character Geon-wook from "Bad Guy" and Soo-in from "Vanished" are very different. Geon-wook is an active character who uses his genius mind and appeal to get what he wants and Soo-in is passive in regards to his emotions. As for going to the army, I got so many calls when news saying I would leave in June came out, and I had been sleeping. (laugh) The show will be airing until early August so I'll wrap that up and go to the military sometime between fall and winter. Working as an actor is important but I think the two years I will spend working as a public service worker will also be significant and precious to me. I would like to use that time efficiently in enriching myself.

Q: What kind of audience would you recommend watch "Vanished"?
Cho: I'm hoping that any Korean who has more than 8,000 won in their pocket will watch it. And amongst them, those in particular who have been hurt and are in need of consolation.
Hwang: I hope those of you who are loving or want to love someone watch this movie. Both Kim and I worked hard for this film -- we tried to control our acting as best we could while putting ourselves through the pain our characters did -- and it has turned out great so I think it would be a good movie for lovers.
Kim: They're both not being honest. I just hope many people as possible watch it. (laugh) When you don't know much about love, it's much more pure and you can be more brave about it, but I think the more you know, the harder it gets. I hope such people will come to watch this movie and hope many of you love it.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr
Photographer : Lee Jin-hyuk eleven@10asia.co.kr
Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr
<9426>
Yes, Namgil-nim, a little acting experience.... Some others will not ever achieve the level that you were on in Goodbye Solo in their lifetime.

Posted one new military photo someplace^^

This is my parting gift in this thread.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 5th, '10, 19:32

Ethlenn,

Many thanks for your post. there really is something elusive but very special about Kim Nam Gil. If he really does not know how good his acting has become, then I think he must have a deep natural talent for becoming any person he is asked to be in a drama. He has to naturally 'feel' his way into the character. there aren't many actors who can do that and I think it is a natural talent they don't really understand. I hope he will never try to analyse things TOO much for a role.

As for the Kyoto gardens. Well I can't find it anywhere to d.l on the web. I keep watching the NHK programmes and there is a website that gives details about their shows but they don't give any links or details of how to find the particular show that got me pulled into this place. If I ever find out I will surely let you know.

I am still fighting my PC to get Messenger. This a.m. I spent half an hour installing what I hoped was the one but it turned out to be a windows thing which took forever and is not the right thing at all. Now I have to uninstall and they don't want to let me go. sigh....

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 5th, '10, 19:49

He said once, that he can build the emotions of the character out of his smallest experience. That means he really is a natural gem.
But I like the way he speaks about his characters. And I mean not only what words he uses, but also how he uses them and how his body is reacting to what he's saying.

It's the same with the way he sings: either with his eyes completely closed, or just looking somewhere far beyond everyone around. he's emotional when he sings^^

Take care!

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 5th, '10, 21:09

Oh, Ethlenn, thanks for you parting gifts!!!
The way he talks about his characters and filming experiences is so down to earth and warm. I can admire him just for that.

lol at your sig, how it says see you in 2012 next to Ethlenn is offline :lol
See you sooner, take care!
Cheers! :alcoholic:

belva

Post by belva » Aug 6th, '10, 16:25

Hello all! New in this thread thanks to arakira. :D
Haven't read through this thread yet but I will because I know there are many goodies here! Thanks in advance to everyone's contribution.

I've translated the allure interview KNG did a while back with the Chinese subs I've found in another forum. I didn't translate the whole article and please pardon my grammatical errors and bad command of English!
Voice narration in “Tears of Amazon” gave people a very deep impression. How did you manage that?
The documentary “Tears of Amazon” left a deep impression on me. While watching TV alone at home I thought “Ah, polar bears are left with nothing to eat now”, and even shed many tears. Normally I enjoy watching TV programmers about wild life and animals, after watching them I took great interest in films related to environmental conservation. Especially after hearing about the environmental damage done to the amazon which is so important to planet earth. Upon hearing that I thought “If this continues will simply breathing become a difficult task too”. And right at that moment I was contacted by people from the production team, so I gladly accepted the narrator work.

This is your first time narrating a movie, what should be noted in the process?
I used other TV programs that featured real life stories as reference as they all require the emotions of the narrator to be heard. Narrating requires a lot more than expected, having to express all the different emotions not by facial expressions but by voice alone. It was indeed a difficult task.

What about the atmosphere during the recording session?
It was an interesting experience. Telling the story while looking at the screen was refreshing. The happenings in the film also made me wonder with curiosity, I even went as far as to blurt out “Is this for real?” while recording the narration and got an NG at that. Whenever stuff like this happens everyone in the studio will burst out in laughter.

After “Tears of Amazon”, are there any different actions resulting from your concern for the environment?
Although joining and participating in environmental protection groups and activities are good, but more than that I feel it’s more important to start with the little actions from daily activities. I become a good and honest guy after narrating. Not throwing a single cigarette butt on the streets, start cutting down on water and paper usage. Frankly speaking, in the past I would secretly discard it when no one is looking. But after “Tears of Amazon” it heightened my vigilance on environmental protection.
When I see people pressing the 2nd or 3rd floor button while taking the lifts I would softly tell them “If it’s such a short distance, there’s an option to take the stairs.” And the person will reply me with “What?!” at this point I would carefully apologies “sorry”! Should be due to my lack of courage (laughs).

What are your thoughts on taking the lead role in Bad Guy?
I’ve decided to never take a leading role again. (Laughs) Having to memorize lines in a short time span and ability to show breakthrough acting are heavy responsibilities of an actor in the lead role.

Isn’t it hard taking the lead role where there are many scenes to shoot?
I’ve already experienced physical fatigue while filming Queen Seon Duk. Although there aren’t many shoots for my character, I’ll still be around the set. There isn’t a distinction between the leading and other actors, we will all be on standby for the week. Compared to that, I’m more worried if being on screen for prolong period will exhaust the feelings and perception of the scenes. If constantly being on screen for a period of 2 hours, no matter how well a lead performs, it will get repetitive and uninteresting. This is especially true for dramas.

Are things getting along well with the cast and crew?
Yes they are the type of people I get along very well with, but there are still frequent conflicts with the director and production crew. Not because of not meeting expectations, but it’s normally due to concerns and disagreements regarding the cinematography or script. I especially dislike problems caused by equipment on set or when the actors and crew is required to do unnecessary stuff.

Looks like you are the type of guy who always rushes forward to correct things huh?
That’s why they always tell me “You can step back a bit for now.” (Laughs). The popularity received after Queen Seon Deok is to blame, but those who knows me well will defend me by saying “He has never change, always been someone without manners.”

It’s only been a short while after taking the lead role and there are already problems like this?
I’ve always held this attitude while working. Actually I’ve already taken a lead role in No Regrets but since then there hasn’t been a reason to take another because I feel I might not be able to handle both a big role together with a big production well. Thus I don’t have big ambitions towards taking a leading role. Instead of looking if it’s a big or small role I feel the most important thing is to be able to learn something from the seniors and actors I work with.
I was able to learn a lot on set while working with seniors like Jeong Jae-Yeong and Sol Kyung-Gu. Not only that, there are also many fine details I can pick up and learn from everyone on set. Although the first thing to become a lead actor is to gain the audience’s approval, but trust have to be gained from fellow co-actors as well, also responsibility towards the production, and appreciation of the work of other cast and crew members, only after consideration of these and gaining an understanding of them can we bring about a perfect production.

You seem to have a passion for learning
Even when receiving harsh critics I am able to absorb and turn it into learning opportunities. To think about it, the director of Modern Boy said something similar. He told me “You are the type who easily gets affected by your surroundings, you should find many opportunities to work with good actors and production crew, it will be very helpful to you.” I don’t know about other things but it seems I have good luck with people, always being able to meet and work with great production crew and seniors.

If you have to choose, which senior influence you the most?

In terms of acting, Jeong Jae-Yeong had a great influence on me. He gave me advices like “If you only hear nice things each time round, it won’t be beneficial to you. And even when things go bad, you will have to overcome it well yourself. In the end, be it critics or praises, you are the one who brings it back.” So for movie stars, there isn’t a single excuse to not learn about acting. And regarding acting, there isn’t any excuse or explanation either. We can’t possibly have words like “Poor health condition during filming resulted in this standard of acting” or that there are other personal matters to attend to, sort of explanatory sentences showing up on screen! Kim Hye Soo had also taught me many things regarding how to deal with the outside world as a public figure. I’m really happy in the process of learning these things. And of course I haven’t stop learning.

You talk really well, why is it that there aren’t any interviews with you recently? Are you planning on giving a secretive image?

That’s definitely not the case. Just that once filming begins my schedule will be so tightly packed. I love to talk and am someone that gets along very well with reporters. I find it really meaningful to be able to get to know each other when we were just strangers before. While during the interview I can feel if the interviewer is curious and concern towards the person Kim Nam-gil or just plainly asking about the basics. I’m really happy to do interviews, with both sides getting to know each other, chatting and sharing topics of interest. I’ll welcome interviews anytime as long as they are not producing contents that distort what I’ve said as I’ll be very hurt by it.

As an actor, are there any particular stuff that you are worried about?

I’m not sure since when I’ve come to realize that I don’t have the type of face that will grab people’s attention. Other actors, be it in the lead role or not, one look and you will be able to tell. As for me, I might not be spotted even if I were to be standing right behind. So I once felt dejected, wondering why this is the case. Was it because I was young and inexperienced? Or was my acting not matured? Or was it because of my image? There’s once when the cinemas was showing 3 different films that I’m starring in, but no one manage to recognize that the 3 roles are played by the same actor. I use to hope that this is not the case, but now it’s slightly better since I already know about it although I still feel a little sad when something like this happen. Thus I might as well focus all my attention to portraying my character well and go in this direction instead, so that even when people don’t know the actor Kim Nam-gil, they will still remember the character I portrayed. Furthermore this will be of great help in my journey as an actor. Have I found a way to make up for my own weakness? (Laughs)

Why have you decided to grow your hair longer? You also appear more tan than before. Of course, we think this image suits you very well.

It was only while filming Portrait of A Beauty that I get to tan that once, and people around me kept warning me not to get any darker. I won’t have the chance to regain my fair skin even if I want to now. It won’t be long till my enlistment and I’ll only be getting darker then (laughs). I didn’t intentionally keep my hair long either. It naturally grew while filming historical shows, just that it felt quite thick and heavy so I trimmed it a little. When I was young I used to envy those men in their 30s with the thick and heavy hairstyle so I did imitate that before. But at that time it turned out unsuitable and unnatural. It was during the press conference for Modern Boy that I first appeared with long hair and the response wasn’t bad so I stick with it.

Seems like there’s some similarities between Bad Guy’s Gun-wook and Queen Seon Deok’s Bidam. How do you individualize each character?

When I was first offered the role I too thought that both characters are alike in many ways. But in comparison to more exaggerated scene that marks a historical drama, modern show requires a deeper expression of the inner thoughts and feelings. So I was thinking if there will be a birth of a more fascinating character. By continuously showing part of the personality that viewers like and slowly revealing other traits that were not expressed in Queen Seon Deok. In this way we should be able to see a character with his own charm, one that’s different from Bidam. In fact I feel I’m reaching my limit so it’s actually a good idea to report for military service now.

As an actor, to report for military service is one of the hurdles to pass, but is there a better reason than this?

Wouldn’t it be better to put down my enthusiasm towards acting for 2 years, toughening up and mature in other aspect and with that, come back with a better performance? When I return, in what ways will I have changed? Through what project and what kind of character will I reappear? I myself am curious regarding these. Thus these 2 years are extremely crucial for me. So I guess in this period of time I will be more occupied than when I am outside.

What kind of actor will you like to be after serving in the military?

Not sure if “worker” is a correct expression, but no matter what an actor will always have some influence. Perhaps I can become the strength to influence the public on their actions. Our country’s population does not even reach a hundred million, so we can only increase the strength. Be it young people or working adults, hopefully as a good actor or a person with virtue, I will be a good influence to them. This is also my goal. In addition, together with people I like and people who share my ideals, to fulfill them together, to consider about Korea’s film industry, to share stories and accomplish them step by step.

In what ways have you changed after Queen Seon Deok?

Before that I was told by people in the industry “You’ve quite a list of work in your resume but without a breakthrough role. Your name is able to attract investors but there will still be some discontentment.” I too am aware of this and that some projects are dropped because of this. Even with an excellent project, shooting won’t be possible without investment. That is why at times I thought it’s a real pity, there were a variety of projects. In Hollywood there are different types and varieties of films being produce. However in Korea be it movies or dramas, they are mostly of romance genre. Having seen this situation, I’m determined to widen the variety of productions. I’ve been continuously striving to achieve this goal after Queen Seon Deok.

You’ve mentioned Hollywood in your answer, have you ever thought of entering Hollywood? From what we know you’ve been gaining popularity in Japan as well.

I would like to tell those mentioning about Hollywood “Please do well in Korea”. Korea and Japan’s films are already considered the central focus in Asia, speaking in a certain aspect, how will one be able to act when they can’t even converse in the language. Even when language is not a problem, the country, the period, their culture, they all have to be understood very well in order to convey the perception on screen well. As the saying goes, only the one who best represent Korea will then be the best representation for the world. Be it Hollywood’s B grade movie or action movie, in comparison I still think it’s better to stick and do well in our own films. It’s more important that in the end they come looking for us to produce films. Of course, there are already excellent actors who are in the Hollywood film industry, I just want to tell those who dreams of a career in Hollywood “Please reconsider the thought of entering the Hollywood industry”. If there’s time to learn English, might as well work harder to polish up on acting, and hopefully be more concern and worry about our country’s film industry.
I've also posted this in the LJ community with the pictures from the article.
My respect for him as both a person and an actor grew with this interview. Love him to bits and pieces and torn little diamonds!

Will come back and post more after I've read the entire thread :-)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 7th, '10, 06:32

Belva.
Many thanks for this transation. What a lovely interview. It is really full of his thoughts and he does express himself so well.

the more I read of things Nam gil says or thinks, the more I admire him.

Your translation seemed extremely clear to me ,so please, anytime I will be happy to read them.

Peggy

4everU

Post by 4everU » Aug 7th, '10, 06:58

I LOVE KIM NAM GIL!!!I watched NO regret and never realized he the one In BAD GUY! h an awesome actor!!!! Its sad he left for military..why all the great actors leaving for military! UGHH!! my fav actor:LEE JUN KI and now KIM NAM GIL! why oh why?? i am gonna miss them...well actually i ve only seen this drama and one movie of kim nam gil but he definately caught my attention in BAD GUY!! he was so hot in there!! there is this charm and sexiniess about him! i actually love him with his mustache, and wth lol asian men usually do not look good with them but he sure doeS!!!