Bittorent Client Recommendations

Discuss technical and geeky things here.

What Bittorrent client do you use?

ABC
9%
Azureus
23%
BitTornado / TheSHAD0W's experimental BT client
10%
BitComet
30%
Nova Torrent
0%
official BT client (by Bram Cohen)
6%
TorrentStorm
1%
Shareaza
2%
eXeem
0%
µTorrent
19%

Total votes: 834

eltinator
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by eltinator » Jan 21st, '05, 00:13

I use ABC torrent and I never had any trouble with it taking up too much resources. Then again, I am sporting a P4 3ghz HT with 1024mb of PC3200 RAM :D

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 21st, '05, 10:29

geez, elt, that's like saying i've got 1000miles of open road with a turbo-charged lambroghini and the cops never seem to catch me. :lol

blakmetalik

Post by blakmetalik » Jan 21st, '05, 22:05

Okie doke, I've switched over from ABC to Bitcomet just to try it out for a little while. From the looks of it so far, it's a winner. :mrgreen:

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Jan 21st, '05, 22:09

I use BT++. It's easy to use, but has some minor bugs.

mobes

Post by mobes » Jan 21st, '05, 22:31

Using Azureus but crashes alot but has nice controls but thinking of using bitcomet used abc before and is also very good.

Learner

Post by Learner » Jan 21st, '05, 23:19

I've used bittorrent, bitcomet, Azureus, ABC and found ABC much more to my taste. It has just enough info and not taking up too much memory like Azureus plus Azureus used java and that crashed a lot. Bittorrent and bitcomet have too many window if d/l simultaneously and cant hide in right hand tray (unless I've not explored that option :)
Tried them all and am happy with ABC

stupoh

Post by stupoh » Jan 22nd, '05, 05:10

i use BitLord since about a week ago, before that i always use official bittorent. Well, it seems BitLord isnt a popular client (no option for it in the polling), but i'm quite satisfied with it.
From BitLord about page, i can see that its core is BitComet, so basically it's just like ABC. It has queing system, handles many torrents, global and specific upload/download rate (which can be limited), minimize into tray, option to allocate disk space before dl, disk cache, written using C++ (which i expect to have small memory print and fast).

just fyi, i can see all peers that connected to me while i dl/ul, and i can see what client they use. i dont really do the statistics but i think i saw most peer using Azureus and BitComet.

BerugasLabor

Post by BerugasLabor » Jan 22nd, '05, 13:30

Azureus, its da bomb

kenji123

Post by kenji123 » Jan 23rd, '05, 03:19

i have tried bit comet, bit tornado, azureus, abc and the regular one...

bit comet was the least straining on my computer...
but it doesn't really matter which one you use... some use more ram than cpu, some use more cpu.... just have to change the setting such as hash checking, max peer connections, how often it updates its status (time left, speed, resume data, etc), number of torrents running, etc

sagurite

Post by sagurite » Feb 16th, '05, 21:24

Using Bittornado

kood
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kood » Feb 16th, '05, 22:04

ABC: I first tried the original BT and then switched since I've heard/read so many good things about it --still using after experimenting with other BT programs, but it definitely needs the optional File download in batches. Needs a new version release, soon.

If you like simple, easy-to-use, and just want to download then this program is for you.
Azureus: 3rd to try since it's quite a popular dl at sourceforge, but the whole Java (110mb), 99.99% dls, RAM hogger, and random dling of my queued files isn't for me, but it never crashed.

If you're a technical person and love details then this program is for you.
BitTornado / TheSHAD0W's experimental BT client: Too much like the original. Like many broadband users today, we're dling more than 2-3 files at a time, so having 6-10icons in the tray is a turnoff.
BitComet: Currrently using this client at the moment due to ABC's constant Pause state for all my torrents. Love the File download within batch option, but no Super-Seed mode. Pretty much nhyone said it all. Not even a stable, v1.0 yet and it's great. If this program keeps it up, I think I'm a BitCometer/BitCometian.
official BT client (by Bram Cohen): Do NOT use!
eXeem / eXlite: Do NOT use --crap.

Since we have so many BT clients, each one has its own features, but I just want ONE program to have all the features as the rest. In the meantime, I'll use my other methods of dling (IRC, ftp/http, DC++, eMule, GrabIt)

milkdud
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by milkdud » Feb 16th, '05, 22:30

bitcomet because I can download specific files from one torrent that has multi files. I tweaked my TCPIP connection to "unlimited" connections for XP SP2 (SP2 has a TCPIP limit) and bitcomet easily gives me 400Kb/s depending on the seeders/leechers connected to a torrent :D

I use Azureus to upload torrents, so far I get a decent 60kb/s on uploads...
How can I get faster upload speeds?

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Feb 17th, '05, 07:40

I was using ABC until recently, when I switched to BitComet. I thought ABC was a good client, but I need the feature of selecting which files to download in a torrent & I was rather surprised ABC didn't have that. Then I found BitComet, and it has turned out to be great so far. I like the lower CPU usage compared to other clients (even with many torrents loaded) & the statistics it provides are really useful too. The default settings actually resulted in good BT speeds, compared to the settings in other clients which I had to tweak many times to get it right. I only had to tweak BC's settings a little to get optimum download & upload speeds. I'm expecting the future versions to be even better!

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Feb 17th, '05, 12:00

stupoh wrote:i use BitLord since about a week ago, before that i always use official bittorent. Well, it seems BitLord isnt a popular client (no option for it in the polling), but i'm quite satisfied with it.
From BitLord about page, i can see that its core is BitComet, so basically it's just like ABC. It has queing system, handles many torrents, global and specific upload/download rate (which can be limited), minimize into tray, option to allocate disk space before dl, disk cache, written using C++ (which i expect to have small memory print and fast).

just fyi, i can see all peers that connected to me while i dl/ul, and i can see what client they use. i dont really do the statistics but i think i saw most peer using Azureus and BitComet.
May I ask why you use BitLord over BitComet? Why use the flagrant copy of BitComet when you can get the original BitComet?

dmorgan

Post by dmorgan » Feb 19th, '05, 23:40

I have switched from ABC to BitComet. So far, I like it better. Download speeds are good. I like the display of stats. It is easier on my eye. I still think ABC is great for seeding due to superseed mode, which BitComet does not have.

Edit: I decided that I do not like BitComet. I suck at tweaking and screwed something up. :lol
Last edited by dmorgan on Feb 20th, '05, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

ogutsarah

Post by ogutsarah » Feb 20th, '05, 00:57

Bitcomet works great for me, but my bf used to use the shadow's experimental one.

FantaxyStar

Post by FantaxyStar » Feb 21st, '05, 22:40

Im using BitTornado. Not so fast, but okay..

isenkk

Post by isenkk » Feb 25th, '05, 09:27

use bittorent ori for the first time, bit slow
and then change to bitcomet till now and never have peroblem with it. Good!!

never try the other client

thetenken
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by thetenken » Feb 25th, '05, 18:14

I'm currently using BitComet right now, after going through ABC, Azureus (a while ago), BitTornado.

Problems with BitComet: No superseed option.
Problems with Azureus: Random crashes, memory hog.
Problems with ABC: Global upload setting doesn't work correctly. If I set 50 KB/s upload between two files, it will allocate 25 KB/s per file regardless of demand.
Problem with BitTornado: For some reason, I've been getting a yellow light recently, and has been affecting my downloads. Lack of multi-torrent support.

Volpe

Post by Volpe » Feb 26th, '05, 00:03

I use Azureus. I haven't used any of the other ones though. I've had no trouble with Azureus. It's a nice bit client.

And yes when I get really bored out of my mind I'll sit there and watch the files download.
:sleeping:

cococrust
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by cococrust » Feb 26th, '05, 00:38

Hmm.. Didn't know this thread is still alive

List of BT clients I used: shad0w, bitcomet, Azereus, BitTornado, official client and ABC

Pros and Cons::

shad0w, bittornado :: I put them together coz they are basically clones. I like their simplicity but they lack features such as file-choosing and multiple-torrent manager.

Azereus :: actually fell in love with this client. Its one of the most advanced out there, with features such as built-in tracker, super-seed, torrent-maker (where lots of other have them as well). etc. But somehow it became an unstable client after the ver 2.0.0.8 (I think). Basically, i always find error MSGs and 'Your program is not responding...'

Official client :: Hmmm, nothing much to say. But Cohen is a great guy for coming up with the bittorrent protocols,etc.

ABC :: Used it for few weeks, but I hate its seeding capability. Somehow, I would never seed properly (I think it has an automatic timer where it will switch to another mode or something). Maybe the newer version has solved this bug.

Bitcomet :: Used it and currently using it for the past 6 months or so. Was told by BT-Slut that there is a small adware, but its not invasive enough that I wont miscredit the author. Have the features that I want minus some that isnt there (such as file-choosing, global/local speed limiter). Probably it only lacks a super-seed mode.

Well, no BT client is perfect but I guess I found mine. :wub:

[Neubauten]

Post by [Neubauten] » Feb 27th, '05, 13:43

I use BitComet, and i feel good with it.

Amika

Post by Amika » Feb 27th, '05, 14:04

i used bittornado at first.. but after d-addicts changed the tracker software recently i can't connect probably to the d-addicts tracker with bittornado.. so i was forced to change my bt client to bitcomet.. love it, take up little memory resources as well.. :wub:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 27th, '05, 21:00

from what i've heard, you'll probably run into probs w/ bcomet as well.

if you're willing to go back to btornado, i also have tracker connection errors, but they disappear after leaving my torrent on for about 20 min.

Asian_girl

Post by Asian_girl » Mar 6th, '05, 14:47

i use Shareaza. and i will see a serie on the shareaza. but i can't see the picture. i hear only voice. what must i do to see the picture?

nakatsu

Post by nakatsu » Mar 6th, '05, 14:54

quite recently I switched to Bits on Wheels
native for Mac :D

in the past, back on pc, I've used the original, shad0w's and azureus...

scott12199

Post by scott12199 » Mar 28th, '05, 17:00

i've used everything on that list and find that bitcomet is the one for me... i just love it :lol

jamewoong

What's the BEST Bittorent client now?

Post by jamewoong » Mar 29th, '05, 10:53

As everyone can see, some trackers BLOCK some bittorent client (Tracker response error: requested download is not authorized for use with this tracker}, because of their "get peers... - feature"

I just would like to know if anyone know what's the BEST bittorent client that could avoid all trackers from being blocked. For now, BitComet is the worst. On the top is Azureus. I'm not really sure of that, I just heard it in some bittorent forum...

Can anyone confirm that and tell us the best bittorent client to use, so we could avoid the tracker...?

Kaila

Post by Kaila » Mar 29th, '05, 11:04

I'm using ABC Bittorent client. It's pretty good :-) You might want to give it a go. Azareus is kewl too but I find the option preference a bit too complicated and a hassle to configure. :lol Hope that helps.

Lynn0419

Post by Lynn0419 » Mar 29th, '05, 11:11

Kaila wrote:I'm using ABC Bittorent client. It's pretty good :-) You might want to give it a go. Azareus is kewl too but I find the option preference a bit too complicated and a hassle to configure. :lol Hope that helps.
Can you tell me where to download ABC Bittorent?
thanks very much!

Tekuza

Post by Tekuza » Mar 29th, '05, 11:47

Lynn0419 wrote:
Kaila wrote:I'm using ABC Bittorent client. It's pretty good :-) You might want to give it a go. Azareus is kewl too but I find the option preference a bit too complicated and a hassle to configure. :lol Hope that helps.
Can you tell me where to download ABC Bittorent?
thanks very much!
Here you go for ABC
http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/download.php

rcblue

Post by rcblue » Mar 29th, '05, 12:10

I use ABC too, no complaint except for one I can't really figure out why. I've set up my ABC to work with 5 files at a time (dl/up), it worked fine until one day it changed and now it can only handle 2 files at a time :x I don't know why and tried to fix this, nothing work so I am stuck with this setting which is a bummer :pale: .

otcho

Post by otcho » Mar 29th, '05, 12:31

i use Azureus

leeunit

Post by leeunit » Mar 29th, '05, 21:25

Azureus! Easy to use, nice interface, tons of options. What else can you ask for?

Lady Zhuge

Post by Lady Zhuge » Mar 29th, '05, 21:31

jamewoong wrote:I just would like to know if anyone know what's the BEST bittorent client that could avoid all trackers from being blocked. For now, BitComet is the worst. On the top is Azureus. I'm not really sure of that, I just heard it in some bittorent forum...
Why is Bitcomet considered the worst? I use it and have had no problems with it. Perhaps I am just ignorant of the other options that are out there.

Keius

Post by Keius » Mar 29th, '05, 21:40

I use both ABC and bitcomet.
Bitcomet has better compatibility with some of those funky torrents coming out
of asia(china/japan/korea) of which other clients won't work.
Otherwise, i prefer ABC for its sheer simplicity and easy of use.

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Mar 29th, '05, 21:55

I think the similar topic already exists so you should try to read this
http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0

lazyr03

Post by lazyr03 » Mar 29th, '05, 22:48

Torrentstorm is the best for me. I only tried 2 clients so far, bittornado and torrentstorm.
I thought bittornado was good but torrentstorm has a much better gui and more options.
Torrentstorm does somewhat hog ram but since I have 1024mb it's ok. You can limit the amount of connections to which it connects which might reduce ram usage.

The things I didn't like was that I had to switch back to zone alarm 4.5 because using zone alarm 5 made torrentstorm drop downloads and crash. You need to have bittornado install also since torrentstorm is based off it. Hasn't be updated for almost a year. Other those reasons torrentstorm is a very good bt client.

ABC does look good but I don't think I'll be switching soon....not until torrentstorm fails me.

RonTheMan

Post by RonTheMan » Mar 29th, '05, 23:35

I have been using ABC for like a few years now. Been working very very consistent.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 30th, '05, 00:03

i have been using bittornado for a while now, dl'ing from various trackers, and it's been good to me. user-friendly, doesn't seem to suck up too much memory, and reliable.

Paniolagirl

Post by Paniolagirl » Mar 30th, '05, 00:08

jholic wrote:i have been using bittornado for a while now, dl'ing from various trackers, and it's been good to me. user-friendly, doesn't seem to suck up too much memory, and reliable.
I also use BiTtornado but a older version (0.3.7), Iit's been so good to me no sense in using a newer version.

chiyoaiki

Post by chiyoaiki » Mar 30th, '05, 08:12

rcblue wrote:
I use ABC too, no complaint except for one I can't really figure out why. I've set up my ABC to work with 5 files at a time (dl/up), it worked fine until one day it changed and now it can only handle 2 files at a time :x I don't know why and tried to fix this, nothing work so I am stuck with this setting which is a bummer :pale: .
Try Action -> Preferences -> URM -> Allow URM to start uo to -> change it from 2 to 5 torrents.

Hope this help.

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Mar 30th, '05, 12:10

I read this topic couple of months ago and swithed to BitComet. It's got a nice interface and everything's in one window. I'm also pretty satisfied with the download speed rate. However, it seems that the upload option doesn't work for me. :unsure: It's OK as long as I'm downloadind but when I'm finished and I want to seed it doesn't work. That's why I downloaded ABC and use it when I seed and it works just fine. :D

I also tried Azureus but not for long...After installing it I added files I had already started downloading with that official BT client and...and I lost abour 10% of data on each torrent!!!! :crazy: I was furious (I was downloading files over 3 GB each) and just threw it away...

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » Mar 30th, '05, 12:20

yamatsumi wrote:I read this topic couple of months ago and swithed to BitComet. It's got a nice interface and everything's in one window. I'm also pretty satisfied with the download speed rate. However, it seems that the upload option doesn't work for me. :unsure: It's OK as long as I'm downloadind but when I'm finished and I want to seed it doesn't work. That's why I downloaded ABC and use it when I seed and it works just fine. :D

I also tried Azureus but not for long...After installing it I added files I had already started downloading with that official BT client and...and I lost abour 10% of data on each torrent!!!! :crazy: I was furious (I was downloading files over 3 GB each) and just threw it away...
hmm well i used it and after it downloads, it automatically seeds .... it is under Seed Only

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Mar 30th, '05, 13:09

DarReNz wrote:hmm well i used it and after it downloads, it automatically seeds .... it is under Seed Only
What I mean it that when I'm downloading a file upload rate is fine but when I finish and the file is movet to Seeds Only the upload rate is 0kB/s and I'm not included in UL section. I have the same situation when I add a file just to seed...it can't connect or even if it does the upload is not running. But I've already given up since ABC is really good for seeding..

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » Mar 30th, '05, 13:13

yamatsumi wrote:
DarReNz wrote:hmm well i used it and after it downloads, it automatically seeds .... it is under Seed Only
What I mean it that when I'm downloading a file upload rate is fine but when I finish and the file is movet to Seeds Only the upload rate is 0kB/s and I'm not included in UL section. I have the same situation when I add a file just to seed...it can't connect or even if it does the upload is not running. But I've already given up since ABC is really good for seeding..
yeah sometimes i realize it's at 0kB/s but it's still uploading ..... this happen like these 2 days i think it is due to the new tracker anyway it's fine now .... uploading at 26Kb/s ...... you can only see yourself seeding at the top ..... and below if you click on peers you can see their percentage heh ....

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Mar 30th, '05, 13:30

I don't think it's because of the server coz it's not the problem that appears in last 2 days. It may be something with my configuration but I was changing it soo many times that I really don't feel like trying again.
And about the UL section...d-addicts shows that there is no seeder and even if I keep it seeded for hours there's no change so I just move it to ABC.

But generally BitComet is really not bad and I like using it anyway. :lol

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » Mar 30th, '05, 13:34

hmm only thing i can think of UL being zero all the time it means you are not connected otherwise it gets updated every 5 mins ... yeah i feel bit comet interface is clear and simple too ... i just use it for uploads/seeding :D

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Mar 30th, '05, 13:44

I'm gonna upgreade BitComet to 0.57 version and who knows..maybe my upload will improve :unsure: :D

Paulinagx

Post by Paulinagx » Mar 31st, '05, 01:44

hi guys, does anyone know if I can use two bittorent such as ABC and Bitcomet at the same time. How would I direct the downloads to each one since it seems that when you click on a file to download it always goes to the same client?

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » Mar 31st, '05, 01:51

you could right click and save as and put the torrents in seperate folders for the seperate bit torrent clients ......

amau

Post by amau » Mar 31st, '05, 01:52

i use bittornado now, more stable dl rate tha azureus.

mmitsjojo

Post by mmitsjojo » Mar 31st, '05, 01:53

i use bitcomet and it works perfectly fine for me thoughs? lols

Shinigami

Post by Shinigami » Mar 31st, '05, 02:27

Paniolagirl wrote:
jholic wrote:i have been using bittornado for a while now, dl'ing from various trackers, and it's been good to me. user-friendly, doesn't seem to suck up too much memory, and reliable.
I also use BiTtornado but a older version (0.3.7), Iit's been so good to me no sense in using a newer version.
oinks ... mine is older :lol
I use Bittornado too (version 0.3.4) and never has problem with connecting to the tracker .. I've once used azureus .. and my comp crashed .. and made me to re-install my bittornado.
So I never touch azureus again :roll

jamewoong

Post by jamewoong » Apr 1st, '05, 11:40

Why is Bitcomet considered the worst? I use it and have had no problems with it. Perhaps I am just ignorant of the other options that are out there.
For more info why BitComet is worst about the tracker... Go there -->
http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=11209
I think the similar topic already exists so you should try to read this
http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0
It's not the same TOPIC! This topic is considerated as "What's the BEST BITTORENT CLIENT..." and not what Bittorent client do you use. Understand? :D People don't understand my question or what? :cry:

About this picture, ANYONE has a HAMMER plz!!! I want to smash on his ASSH*LE FACE!!! :evil: or can anyone kick him for me please?

zahiri

Post by zahiri » Apr 1st, '05, 11:54

jameswong: I have plenty of hammers. where can i find him? his address? whos gonna pay for it? :unsure: anooo .. why do you hate him that much?

jamewoong

Post by jamewoong » Apr 1st, '05, 19:02

Well, this topic is about Bittorent, but since you asked me a question... So I will answer you. Truthfully, I don't know who he is... I just hate him because of viewing it (this movie gif). He looks like a little KIDS. For me, it's so annyoing to see this picture repeatly... The first time was OK, but if you look at it repeatly, perhap you'll see that the guy in the picture is a BS and I WANT..............................................................................................
...............................................................................................................TO KICK HIS ASS!!! :D

CONVERSION STARTED:

jamewoong: Shinigami, as you are the owner of this image, may I smash him, please?

Shinigami: Well, if you insist then go ahead!

jamewoong: Are you sure? You won't be mad at me, ah?

Shinigami: No I won't. Don't worry...

jamewoong: Well, OK then....................THANK YOU! :P

jamewoong: zahiri, thanks for your hammer! ........................ Uh? :blink WTF??? This is not a hammer IDI*T! This is a stick!

zahiri: :crazy:

zahiri: Euh... :D I didn't notice that... We called it "HAMMER" at my home. :lol

jamewoong: OMG... :glare: Thx anyway...

YOU TAKE THIS, DAMN YOU! Image

zahiri: Hey jamewoong, BRAVO, BRAVO! Image

jamewoong: I finally satisfied myself... 8)

[TO BE CONTINUED... Image]

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Apr 1st, '05, 19:27

I used to use bittorrent++ until I got to the point where I was I getting no download/upload ratios and I wanted to know why. Bittorrent++ didn't provide me any answers.

So, I decided to try Azureus since many people were using it and imho, I think Azureus is the best client I have used so far since I can find out more about where I'm getting my files from and at the same time, I can control the upload speed when I need to do other task. Also, it has many options for you to configure the client (of course, you can get by without having to configure the client).

Of course, to each it's own since many people may disagree with me on Azureus. :-)

Sakado

Post by Sakado » Apr 1st, '05, 19:53

I think Azureus iz da best!! :lol I dun find the interface hard to navigate and it's neat and simple. The only drawback is that you need JAVA, which is like 100mbish.

RuMxZ

Post by RuMxZ » Apr 2nd, '05, 16:37

XBT - http://xbtt.sourceforge.net/client/

Fastest BT client currently, consuming the least memory. Why use anything else?
yt_toshi wrote:I used to use bittorrent++ until I got to the point where I was I getting no download/upload ratios and I wanted to know why. Bittorrent++ didn't provide me any answers.

So, I decided to try Azureus since many people were using it and imho, I think Azureus is the best client I have used so far since I can find out more about where I'm getting my files from and at the same time, I can control the upload speed when I need to do other task. Also, it has many options for you to configure the client (of course, you can get by without having to configure the client).

Of course, to each it's own since many people may disagree with me on Azureus. :-)
People expect BT to be a: Install client -> Load torrent -> Choose save location type of process. Thus, can you say noob friendly?
Last edited by RuMxZ on Apr 19th, '05, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

midnightblue

Post by midnightblue » Apr 2nd, '05, 20:32

I have been using ABC 3.0 now for a couple of days but it crashes a lot. So I think I'm going to give XBT a try and see if I like it. Thanks for mentioning it. I find minimal memory leakage and not crashing the most important features of a bittorrent client so maybe I will switch to XBT if it performs better.

Pheace

Post by Pheace » Apr 2nd, '05, 20:37

Bitcomet , working fine in all departments for me :)

pariah_dog

Post by pariah_dog » Apr 2nd, '05, 20:47

XBT - http://xbtt.sourceforge.net/client/

Fastest BT client currently, consuming the least memory. Why use anything else?
Are you sure? I heard that BitComet was pretty good in that department too.

I currently use Azureus, but it does use up quite a bit of processor time. I am considering the use of a less feature rich program that is also less processor intensive.

pariah_dog

Post by pariah_dog » Apr 2nd, '05, 20:48

I don't trust Java. It tends to be slow. Someone needs to port Azureus to C (or maybe C++). So BitComet was that client that was always getting banned a while back? Have they fixed the issues that were deemed unfriendly? I have noticed the percentage of ABC users seems to have decreased in the past year. Azureus and BitComet seem to be dominating.
Last edited by pariah_dog on Apr 2nd, '05, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

RuMxZ

Post by RuMxZ » Apr 2nd, '05, 20:52

Nice doubler...

jamewoong

Post by jamewoong » Apr 2nd, '05, 21:40

So BitComet was that client that was always getting banned a while back? Have they fixed the issues that were deemed unfriendly?
Answer: Nope. You'll have to wait for the next version and pray that the author will fix it :glare:

For now, people recommended you to partch bitcomet if you suspect that the tracker banned it.

Good luck.

beer

Post by beer » Apr 2nd, '05, 21:50

Quite unofficially: I have deep disrespect for BitComet. It asked me whether I wanted to associate it with torrent files and I said NO during installation. That held true until I ran it - from that point on torrent association was hijacked. And there was no apparent way to change it back using the program interface. Indecent, if you ask me.

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Apr 3rd, '05, 04:28

pariah_dog wrote:I don't trust Java. It tends to be slow. Someone needs to port Azureus to C (or maybe C++). So BitComet was that client that was always getting banned a while back? Have they fixed the issues that were deemed unfriendly? I have noticed the percentage of ABC users seems to have decreased in the past year. Azureus and BitComet seem to be dominating.
Are you sure Java is slow? I haven't noticed anything in speed when using Azureus on my machine, but then again, it depends on what system you have. Still, I think it would be nice to see someone port Azureus to C or C++, but since the xbt client is written in C++, you might want to give it a try (although the interface is plain, but somewhat similar to Azureus without all the additional options or nice GUI provided by the client). 8)

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » Apr 3rd, '05, 04:30

beer wrote:Quite unofficially: I have deep disrespect for BitComet. It asked me whether I wanted to associate it with torrent files and I said NO during installation. That held true until I ran it - from that point on torrent association was hijacked. And there was no apparent way to change it back using the program interface. Indecent, if you ask me.
yeah i notice that too ..... probably you can try open with ....

beer

Post by beer » Apr 3rd, '05, 07:52

Oh, getting rid of BitComet was easier. Especially since I didn't like the icons either. :P

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Apr 5th, '05, 03:05

I switched to Bitcomet and o man, what an experience I am having right now. I have 20 torrents running at the same time and it doesnt slow down my pc! I wasted so much time on bitornado, G3 and Azureus haha. Bitcomet highly recommended!

lisy04

Post by lisy04 » Apr 7th, '05, 01:11

i was one of those who have Torrentstorm and have stuck with it since for months,but just yesterday,i switched to ABC and man,it's so easy to use and i don't have to configure anything or do any port forwarding,and still get pretty decent downloads of 10-15kbps.

just a question:does it matter how much i set my download speed?i currently set it to 15kbps,and i wonder if it will affect anything.

oh,never mind.i just set it to 0(unlimited),and speed is as high as 48kbps.

seneschal

Java

Post by seneschal » Apr 7th, '05, 03:31

I was using Azureus and I noticed it is a lot slower than BitComet, after I switched to the later.
I have the same experience on other Java programs such as Oracle ERP, the Java seems to slow everything down to a crawl...
In Azureus I noticed a lot of disk thrashing as well, maybe the memory management was not as well written? Or because Java just chews up a lot of overhead by itself.
yt_toshi wrote:
pariah_dog wrote:I don't trust Java. It tends to be slow. Someone needs to port Azureus to C (or maybe C++). So BitComet was that client that was always getting banned a while back? Have they fixed the issues that were deemed unfriendly? I have noticed the percentage of ABC users seems to have decreased in the past year. Azureus and BitComet seem to be dominating.
Are you sure Java is slow? I haven't noticed anything in speed when using Azureus on my machine, but then again, it depends on what system you have. Still, I think it would be nice to see someone port Azureus to C or C++, but since the xbt client is written in C++, you might want to give it a try (although the interface is plain, but somewhat similar to Azureus without all the additional options or nice GUI provided by the client). 8)

dznutz

Post by dznutz » May 3rd, '05, 23:47

i've tried out many of the torrents listed.

my expereince:
---- decent speed clients:
official bt - good for single downloads.
torrentstorm - good for slow computers.
bit spirit - eh
abc - uses a lot of resources but user friendly.

---- fast clients:
azsswuss - somewhat user friendly. peaks d/l speeds fast. good for those who d/l without watching the computer screen.
bitcomet - at first NOT USER FRIENDLY but with tweaks it's better than everything out there. d/l speed peaks a bit later (takes long for bitcomet to connect to all the peers).

veritati

Post by veritati » May 4th, '05, 00:38

Tried official one - too slow and not much function. I also didn't like how it opens different windows for different downloads among other issues.

Used ABC for like a year, but couldn't download some torrents like ones with Chinese characters or weird names. ABC takes up too much CPU and memory. It crashes once in a while and there were a few settings that got stuck and you couldn't change them.

Then I found out about BitComet through asian forums and tried it, and have been using it for several months now. It doesn't takes up CPU or memory. Doesn't crash - maybe once in a blue moon. I can download pretty much any and everything. I can configure BitComet a lot more than with ABC.

As for download speed: it has nothing to do with which client you are using. It's how you configure your computer. Don't download any program that says it can open more TCP ports or anything like that. It will only harm your computer. However, there is one thing that you need to add in the registry in order to get max speed. When I was using ABC I never got the green lights. It was always grey or yellow. I thought that was normal since I was getting OK speed. But after discovering the aforementioned tweak, I got max speed. Everything turned green, and I was so amazed and happy. XP set the default number of TCP connections to 10 and it doesn't change even if you set it higher on your client. But the tweak works around it. I don't know much about programming so don't ask me to explain. I read it from somewhere and applied it, and it works.

Tips:

1. I have Verizon online (NYC) and set it to auto connect when I turn on the computer, but to get max speed with bittorrent I had to also manually dial to Verizon. Don't know why so and I am just too lazy to find out. But manually connecting takes only a couple seconds so I don't mind at all.

>START>Connect to>Verizon>dial

2. This is the line that you need to add to the registry to get more than 10 TCP connections (default on XP/SP1): My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
TcpNumConnections\0x00fffffe (16777214)

Edit>New>DWORD value>name it "TcpNumConnections" then right click>modify>type in '0x00fffffe (16777214)"

3. There is one more tweak that I don't know if it has any effect on bittorrent or not, but it affects eDonkey. I use eDonkey once in a while. If anyone wants to know, just ask.

4. Remember to seed after you finished. BitComet gives good downloads but bad uploads, especially after you reached 100%. You have to go into Preferences>Advanced>Connections>and change to higher values the max and min upload slots. I have mine set to 500 and 50, respectively. It has no effect on downloading speed. Or just play around until you get a desired outcome.

I have 3 mbps DL and 768 kbps UL, which translate to about 350 kB/s DL and 80 kB/s UL. I set my upload to 60 kB/s because you need the rest for calling servers/trackers. I usually max out on both ends, assuming there are enough seeds and peers. My computer is only a PIII 800Mhz with 384 MB RAM. BTW, I don't use a router.