Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
priscidja

*-* ~

Post by priscidja » Jun 24th, '10, 02:29

I'm totally addicted to dramas in general, but jdramas mostly, so here's some I REALLY RECOMEND :)

Hotaru No Hikari and Tatta Hitotsu no Koi (both with Ayase Haruka and the second one with Kamenashi Kazuya!)
Koizora - if you decide to watch it I must warn you: taka a bowl with you cause you're gonna cry a river!
Hotelier (the japanese version, with Aya Ueto)
Hanayome To Papa (with Taguchi Junnosuke from KAT-TUN)
Yukan Club and Anego (both with Akaniji Jin from KAT-TUN and the first one with You Yokoyama from Kanjani8 too ^^')
Hana Yori Dango (with Matsumoto Jun, but I strongly recomend you to watch Boys Over Flowers, the korean version first)
One Pound Gospel (with Kamenashi Kazuya)
Bambino! (with Matsumoto Jun)

Hope you'll like it :D

butterfly swimmer

Post by butterfly swimmer » Jun 24th, '10, 16:14

What are the best Best Mystery/Suspense Dramas? I'm sick of watching romances, I need more dramas such as Mr. Brain or Bloody Monday... :P

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Jun 24th, '10, 18:42

Maybe you like the story of Unfair or Untouchable. They are suspense.

Galileo is easy going like Mr Brain.

Funny mistery can be found at Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi

A good thriller story has One Million Stars Falling from the Sky (with romance part)

Other good dramas:

If you like a yakuza drama with critic to japanese eldery care, check Ninkyo Helper.
I also liked Watashitachi no Kyokasho. It is more a social and law drama.
Mother

koyama22

Post by koyama22 » Jun 25th, '10, 03:01

shiranai hito wrote:Hi everyone,

I am looking for a drama that is comedy/romance type. I don't really prefer those dramas where 1 or a few boys are idolized as the hottest guy ever by a whole school. I've only seen a few dramas and they are..

Love Shuffle (thought it was great because the story had great twists and its still grounded into reality not where there's groupies waiting for 1 person)

Densha Otoko (My first Japanese drama. It was really funny and melodramatic at the same time. The story had a lesson to it)

Nobuta wo Produce (I liked the friendships between the main characters and their ambition. Ending could have been better though.)

Liar Game 1&2 (Great story and mind games. Kept me wanting more after each episode.)
I'd say check out some Kimura Takuya dramas. I would recommend Pride (more the romantic-type). He tends to blend comedy/romance pretty well as an actor (and usually plays those characters), though it varies depending on drama type, story, etc.

I'd also recommend Stand Up!! (more the wacky comedy-type). There's definitely romance in the series but it is mostly about friendship and general high school boys' issues.

I believe you would really enjoy Nodame Cantabile. It's comedic (very, very, very comedic) with the addition of romance; it's based in a music university. I also have to recommend Orange Days. It is my favorite Jdrama and one that I believe is among the best made. It's less of exactly what you are looking for, but I would describe it as an all-around drama, encompassing human drama, romance, friendship, comedy, music, university life and much more. Definitely watch it.

shiranai hito

Post by shiranai hito » Jun 27th, '10, 03:31

koyama22 wrote:
shiranai hito wrote:Hi everyone,

I am looking for a drama that is comedy/romance type. I don't really prefer those dramas where 1 or a few boys are idolized as the hottest guy ever by a whole school. I've only seen a few dramas and they are..

Love Shuffle (thought it was great because the story had great twists and its still grounded into reality not where there's groupies waiting for 1 person)

Densha Otoko (My first Japanese drama. It was really funny and melodramatic at the same time. The story had a lesson to it)

Nobuta wo Produce (I liked the friendships between the main characters and their ambition. Ending could have been better though.)

Liar Game 1&2 (Great story and mind games. Kept me wanting more after each episode.)
I'd say check out some Kimura Takuya dramas. I would recommend Pride (more the romantic-type). He tends to blend comedy/romance pretty well as an actor (and usually plays those characters), though it varies depending on drama type, story, etc.

I'd also recommend Stand Up!! (more the wacky comedy-type). There's definitely romance in the series but it is mostly about friendship and general high school boys' issues.

I believe you would really enjoy Nodame Cantabile. It's comedic (very, very, very comedic) with the addition of romance; it's based in a music university. I also have to recommend Orange Days. It is my favorite Jdrama and one that I believe is among the best made. It's less of exactly what you are looking for, but I would describe it as an all-around drama, encompassing human drama, romance, friendship, comedy, music, university life and much more. Definitely watch it.
I watched Stand Up! i really liked that one! Thanks for the other recommendations. I will try Orange Days :D

xohhbiteme

Post by xohhbiteme » Jun 29th, '10, 07:00

butterfly swimmer - For mystery j-dramas, I'd recommend Trick, Trick 2, and Trick 3.

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Jun 30th, '10, 18:13

Anyone see anything good lately? Haven't really watched anything since Shiroi Haru. Looking for any genre but "tragedy" 'cause I hate sad endings.

bakastar74
Austria

Post by bakastar74 » Jun 30th, '10, 19:32

bugmenot3

Post by bugmenot3 » Jul 7th, '10, 10:29

Hi guys, any recommendations for dramas similar to Ninkyo Helper and Pride? Dramas that focus on real life with some rash/impatient/competitive characters.

gaijin123

Post by gaijin123 » Jul 10th, '10, 16:28

Are there any dramas with a cool main male character? High school or university would be ideal, but not a must.

Story has to revolve around the guy though...

Yankee-kun to Megane-chan comes to mind. Don't know if people have seen this, but Holyland also is similar to what I'm looking for.

Any type like romance/comedy/action/etc.

Also a big plus if the guy is like a delinquent or a loser. It seems like that to everyone, but he really is just lazy, or bored... so basically it's like he is hiding his true talents/intelligence.

haylz27

Post by haylz27 » Jul 12th, '10, 13:08

Hi everyone! I was hoping you guys could give me some recomendations, you've never failed me in the past. :P I am looking for recently released (as in this year or late last year). Dramas I have watched so far (I haven't watched many) are Koizura, Lovely Complex (movie), Hana Yori Dango, Hana Kimi, Zettai Kareshi, Kimi wa Petto, Samurai High School.

As you can see I love dramas which involve romance, possible comedy (doesn't have to be), possible school life (doesn't have to be either), relationships ect. No fantasy please.

So any ideas? I hope you guys can help me out...

I also want to know some good dramas that have recently finished airing or are airing soon/now.

Cheers!

Pantheria

Post by Pantheria » Jul 14th, '10, 23:20

Hello all. Just finished watching Sunao ni Narenakute which I loved & I feel like watching more of the same if at all possible. Anything along the lines of Last Friends, Love Shuffle, human dramas with strong stories & good interpersonal minglings but no overly sad endings. Japanese only & fairly recent. Nothing super old please.

I've watched a ton of Dramas already so this could be quite difficult. Things I've already watched or already have lined up check out my profile on: http://mydramalist.info/users/2170/pantheria

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

impulse101

Best Dramas? Comparable to Bloody Monday or IRIS?

Post by impulse101 » Jul 19th, '10, 10:39

Hi everyone. I am from the USA and I've been watching Bloody Monday and IRIS (I know IRIS is Korean). They are great shows almost on the level of 24 here in the states. My question is what other Asian drama's should I watch that are as good or better than these and it doesn't have to be a current show it can be up to 10 years old, doesn't matter. I would prefer that there are English subs available. I am going to try the Liar Game. Any other recommendations? Thanks!

paranoyd

Re: Best Dramas? Comparable to Bloody Monday or IRIS?

Post by paranoyd » Jul 21st, '10, 13:58

impulse101 wrote:Hi everyone. I am from the USA and I've been watching Bloody Monday and IRIS (I know IRIS is Korean). They are great shows almost on the level of 24 here in the states. My question is what other Asian drama's should I watch that are as good or better than these and it doesn't have to be a current show it can be up to 10 years old, doesn't matter. I would prefer that there are English subs available. I am going to try the Liar Game. Any other recommendations? Thanks!
Hmm..I saw IRIS and it's hard to beat that lol.
No jdrama that's purely action/suspense really comes to mind besides those you mentioned...

The only thing that's even close would be :
Byakuyakou
Kurosagi
BOSS
Liar Game
Maou
Voice
Tokyo DOGS
Majo Saiban

....not sure these are what you are looking for, but they're all subbed and come closest to what you are seeking that I've seen anyway.

Hopefully someone else can provide a better suggestion....

Peophin

Post by Peophin » Jul 24th, '10, 03:31

Hi there everyone--

I'm looking for dramas that have a big focus on close "nakama" relationships, and hopefully on athleticism (though not necessarily sports) as well. Something along the lines of RESCUE, Tumbling, Rookies-- they're some of my favorites but I'm having a hard time finding similar dramas.

I'd also appreciate recs for good suspense(/mystery) dramas, new or old. Favorite dramas of mine in this sort of genre are Maou, Bloody Monday, Bokura no Yuuki, and Yasha.

I appreciate any help you can provide~

HandofFate

Post by HandofFate » Jul 24th, '10, 04:23

hi, any suggestions/recommendations for a jdrama dealing with Samurai?

Shows I enjoyed include Samurai High School, and Jin.
So I say I'm looking for series that are in relations to samurai or at least the era of them, but them not being the main focus.

Like how Jin is more of a medical jdrama, but set in Edo period and such, and Samurai High School is more of a high school series setting rather than outright about samurai.

thanks for any suggestions.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 24th, '10, 10:41

There's a drama on my watchlist that sounded somewhat similar to JIN: <i>Seishu Hanaoka no Tsuma</i>, about a surgeon in Edo-Period but I haven't even looked for it yet.

Pakku

Jdrama(s) that are like this?

Post by Pakku » Jul 25th, '10, 15:38

I originally posted this request in the General Discussions and in the Kdrama forum but I have had no luck with help. It seems this forum is more visited so hopefully I can get some help with this request.

I have a bit of a bizarre request that I hope that this forum will be able to help me with. A few of my friends and I that watch Japanese dramas have noticed a common theme around scenes that involve "facial masks" (beauty masks). We have found these scenes to be quite funny and more prominent in Asian shows than in the west. I would like to see more of these Asian dramas that have scenes like these.

I was hoping people could suggest to me shows/ episodes of Japanese dramas that contain material like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tomomi

By "Facial mask" I mean scenes like the following screenshots:

Dusty Bottoms

Post by Dusty Bottoms » Jul 25th, '10, 23:21

LOL, reading your post, I was about to say Hotaru no Hikari, since I'd just watched that episode, but I see you already have that in screen shot #1. I agree, the mask humor shows up a lot (of course specific examples escape me at the moment), I'll try to remember this post the next time I see it used.

Pakku

Post by Pakku » Jul 25th, '10, 23:51

Thanks! I am not sure what shows screenshots #2 & #3 are from. If anyone knows that would also help!

Dusty Bottoms

Post by Dusty Bottoms » Jul 26th, '10, 02:38

Come to think of it in the kdrama Super Rookie, I'm pretty sure the guys tryout the facial stuff. And, your screenshot#3 has me tortured, cause I know I've seen it, but can't place it.

impulse101

Re: Best Dramas? Comparable to Bloody Monday or IRIS?

Post by impulse101 » Jul 27th, '10, 08:57

paranoyd wrote:
impulse101 wrote:Hi everyone. I am from the USA and I've been watching Bloody Monday and IRIS (I know IRIS is Korean). They are great shows almost on the level of 24 here in the states. My question is what other Asian drama's should I watch that are as good or better than these and it doesn't have to be a current show it can be up to 10 years old, doesn't matter. I would prefer that there are English subs available. I am going to try the Liar Game. Any other recommendations? Thanks!
Hmm..I saw IRIS and it's hard to beat that lol.
No jdrama that's purely action/suspense really comes to mind besides those you mentioned...

The only thing that's even close would be :
Byakuyakou
Kurosagi
BOSS
Liar Game
Maou
Voice
Tokyo DOGS
Majo Saiban

....not sure these are what you are looking for, but they're all subbed and come closest to what you are seeking that I've seen anyway.

Hopefully someone else can provide a better suggestion....
Thanks for the ideas. I am going to watch Liar Game and Maou. I will check the other ones you suggest too. I think I have a lot to keep me busy with Bloody Monday and IRIS, not to even mention all the USA and UK shows I watch but its very interesting watching shows from a whole different culture than mine.IRIS might be one of the best TV shows of all time. Everyone should watch that show!

nome

Post by nome » Jul 28th, '10, 18:01

Hey! I'm looking for kind of romantic drama and hoping you could recommend me something. I like both the easy and innocent love stories (such as Hana Kimi), as well as the hard and dramatic ones (Last Friends for example) These I have finished watching:

-Buzzer Beat
-Great Teacher Onizuka
-Hana Yori Dango 1&2
-Hanazakari no Kimitachi e
-Hotaru no Hikari
-Koizora
-Liar Game 1&2
-Last Friends
-Love Shuffle
-Lunch no Joou
-Manhattan Love Story
-Mei-chan no Shitsuji
-Nobuta wo Produce
-Seigi no Mikata
-Shokojo Seira
-Stand Up!!
-Sunao ni Narenakute
-Zettai Kareshi

My favorites were Hana Yori Dango, Hana Kimi and Sunao ni Narenakute! Now I'm watching:

-1 Litre no Namida
-Atashinchi no Danshi
-Strawberry on the Shortcake
-Yankee-kun to Megane-chan (I love this one!!)
-Orange Days (first episodes are promising. Many good actors.)
-Innocent Love (I like this one too)

I started to watch First Kiss, Untouchable and Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge a while ago but dropped them all. Wallflower would have been good otherwise but I've already seen the anime and I just got bored. First Kiss just wasn't for me. And untouchable didn't have the romance I was looking for.

And I'm also planning to watch Proposal Daisakusen and Hotaru no Hikari 2 in the future. Can you recommend me any other good romance dramas? Humor/romance would be great too. Thanks. (:

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jul 28th, '10, 18:14

nome wrote:Hey! I'm looking for kind of romantic drama and hoping you could recommend me something. I like both the easy and innocent love stories (such as Hana Kimi), as well as the hard and dramatic ones (Last Friends for example)
Maybe Akai Ito - torrents
or Hakusen Nagashi - torrents

syauqee

Proposal Daisakusen

Post by syauqee » Aug 5th, '10, 08:54

hi everyone! i'm new here so really need all of your help and recommendations. haha

i just finished watching Proposal Daisakusen and really loved it!

Is there any more dramas that quite similar to this?

Please recommend anything for me. Thank you!

browniethecat

Post by browniethecat » Aug 5th, '10, 20:26

"facial mask" -- > in Yankee-kun to Megane-chan episode 7 was a really short scene with one of those masks! :-)

Pakku

Post by Pakku » Aug 6th, '10, 13:07

browniethecat wrote:"facial mask" -- > in Yankee-kun to Megane-chan episode 7 was a really short scene with one of those masks! :-)
Thank you so much for your help! Having the exact Episode was great! Please let me know if you run across anymore! Thanks again!

jcoulis

Post by jcoulis » Aug 8th, '10, 21:44

Hi everybody,

I need some help from you.
So, I search JDramas which deal with romance, human drama or high school story.

Could you list me some dramas for each sort please ?

I can tell you some dramas i already saw :
romance :
- Hana Yori Dango 1,2
- Proposal Daisakusen
- Buzzer beat

Human drama :
- Ichi rittoru no namida
- last friends
- taiyou no uta

High school :
- nobuta wo produce
- dragon zakura

Thank u very much for your help.

Please, try to contact me with PM.

mistamus

Post by mistamus » Aug 8th, '10, 23:16

here is the list JDramas i have seen so far...

- hanazakari no kimi tachi
- tokyo dogs
- samurai high school
- mr brain
- hero
- yasuko to kenji
- buzzer beat
- change
- densa otoko
- stand up
- dragon zakura
- gokusen
- good luck
- GTO
- jin
- mr brain
- trick
- tsuki no koibito
- hotaru no hikari
- teppan girl akane
- liar game

Thats all that i can remember..i'm currently watching otomen n hotaru no hikari 2.. :-)

howtwosavealif3

Post by howtwosavealif3 » Aug 11th, '10, 02:41

liked:
JIN,
nobuta wo produce
hanazakari no kimi tachi e
watashitachi no kyoukasho,
nodame cantabile,
my boss my hero,
liar game,
life,
mop girl
gyne/gine whatever it's called: well done medical drama~~
gonzo,
last friends,
haken no hinkaku,
hana yori dango, - some parts are cringy and embarrassing as hell but it has awesome parts too so i hate/love it.
yume to ame no ato ni
seigi no mikata
so i recommend to the person above me the stuff in my LIKE pile that isn't inhis/her list.

didn't like:
densha otoko, kekkon dekinai otoko, gokusen i/ii, mai-chan no shitsuji
shoukoujo seira = not that bad but i don't really want to continue wathcing it so...
samurai high school, hotaru no hikari,stand up, proposal daisakusen, 1 litter of tears , dragon zakura,
Last edited by howtwosavealif3 on Aug 17th, '10, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

Masamune

Post by Masamune » Aug 11th, '10, 10:17

These are jdramas i watched

- hanazakari no kimi tachi
- hana yori dango
- samurai high school
- mr brain
- hero
- yasuko to kenji
- buzzer beat
- change
- densa otoko
- stand up
- dragon zakura
- gokusen
- binbo danshi
- GTO
- jin
- mr brain
- sunao ni narenakute
- tsuki no koibito
- hotaru no hikari
- yamada tarou monogatari
- liar game
- koizora
- my boss my hero
- yasuko to kenji
- yamato nadeshiko shichi henge

many many more

Can recommend me some others? I'm super bored and i can't find any.

I like romance/comedy. I also like those romance kinda like koizora and densha otoko. And i like underdog stories. Any recommendations? Thx

Masamune

Post by Masamune » Aug 12th, '10, 05:24

Guys, i just found a drama i really wanna watch by Ito Misaki and Kame named Suppli. But the only torrent available in d addicts are with chinese subs. Any idea where i can get the english subs?

sohtaartg

Post by sohtaartg » Aug 12th, '10, 06:50

Hello Masamune,

Suppli is also listed by the name Sapuri ( サプリ)
see:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_40222.htm
soft subs:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_36524.htm

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Aug 12th, '10, 08:34

I decided to watch a jdrama again. Want to hear Japanese language again ;D So, I need some recommendations. I'm looking for a drama, where you can have a good laugh too(like Stand Up) and I'd love if it would be teen love story of something.

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Aug 12th, '10, 09:06

Neliets wrote:I decided to watch a jdrama again. Want to hear Japanese language again ;D So, I need some recommendations. I'm looking for a drama, where you can have a good laugh too(like Stand Up) and I'd love if it would be teen love story of something.
I have been away from jdorama world for a month, so I have a lot of catching up to do, but right now I can recommend you a jdorama "Yankee-kun to Megane-chan" starring Narimiya Hiroki and Naka Riisa. It is based on a manga. It aired in this late spring.
"Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge" starring Johnnys Kamenashi Kazuya, Tegoshi Yuya, Uchi Hiroki and Miyao Shintaro and Oomasa Aya . Also based on a manga. Aired this late winter. Only the scene of Kamenashi-san cutting his hair is priceless :mrgreen:
My Boss, my hero starring Nagase Tomoya and Tegoshi Yuya. Aired in late summer 2006.
Also "Hana Kimi" ("Hanazakari no Kimitachi e") starring Oguri Shun, Ikuto Toma and Horikita Maki.
Have a good laugh! :cheers: [/b]

AilsKeren27

Post by AilsKeren27 » Aug 12th, '10, 19:54

Masamune wrote:These are jdramas i watched

-
many many more

I like romance/comedy. I also like those romance kinda like koizora and densha otoko. And i like underdog stories. Any recommendations? Thx

masamune, i recommend tumbling and hotaru no hikari 1&2. they're both great and very entertaining.

Aychan

Any comedy drama?

Post by Aychan » Aug 13th, '10, 17:26

I'm looking for a comedy drama, like Binbo Danshi and Hanakimi... Something to watch just for having some fun.
(I just finished Voice. Good drama, but too many tears. Now I'm searching for something that'll make me laugh :D)
What can you suggest to me?

Masamune

Post by Masamune » Aug 14th, '10, 13:06

AilsKeren27 wrote:
Masamune wrote:These are jdramas i watched

-
many many more

masamune, i recommend tumbling and hotaru no hikari 1&2. they're both great and very entertaining.
I've watched hotaru no hikari 1. I wanna start hotaru no hikari 2 but i see they are still raw. Waiting for the subtitles.

Anyway, anybody knows where i could find this series named Dohyo Girl? It stars Nozomi Sasaki. I'm kinda into her after watching this movie The Rainy Days.

rocketskates

Post by rocketskates » Aug 15th, '10, 13:18

This has been discussed before, I'm sure, but it's kind of tricky to sift through the 208 pages. I hope it's okay to post this, although I'm probably repeating a question from the past.

Generally speaking, I like sort of "geeky" shows, e.g. ones with sci-fi/fantasy/superhero type elements. (It seems that a lot of people here do, too.) Buffy/Angel, Firefly, Stargate, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Supernatural (sorta), JLU, that kind of thing. (I haven't seen a lot of recent American shows in this genre, so I can't say I'd actually like the following, but I bet I would: Heroes, Smallville, Sarah Connor Chronicles, and so on.) Put another way, while I don't like total Tokusatsu Power Rangers silliness, I like some fun "unrealistic" or "larger than life" elements mixed in. (I hesitate to say "unrealistic", because I do like shows where characters are psychologically realistic and the setting is consistent; I use the word just to mean like sci-fi/fantasy elements.) I do like some fun/comedy in there, even to the level of popcorn action/quipping like in (e.g.) Buffy, but a well-made serious show would be awesome, too.

I've attempted to go into some detail above, but I think that saying "geeky" really sums it up better than that paragraph does.

In terms of J-Dramas that I've liked so far (although they aren't really in this category):
* My Boss, My Hero (HILARIOUS)
* JIN (seems very well-made, and there's something going on besides the soap opera – e.g. the doctor guy dealing with the time he's stuck in and the people from that time reacting to him)

I thought that Mei-chan no Shitsuji would be perfect, but despite there being some awesome arrow-catching and entertaining magic trick stuff going on, it mostly seemed like a sort of plodding melodrama. (In fairness, I had a hard time understanding all the dialogue; maybe it was boring in part only because I didn't understand what everyone was so distressed and mopey about.)

Here are some titles I've found doing a bunch of searches on this site:
* Vampire Host
* RH Plus
* Onegai Demon
* Shiori to Shmiko no Kaiki Jikenbo
* Yume no Kanaeru Zo
* Night Head
* Okusama wa Majo
* Psychometrer Eiji

I've thought about just getting subbed/dubbed versions of American shows in Japan: I recognize there's something stupid about asking for "the Japanese Buffy" when Buffy is very much an American show in an American style. (I remember someone asking me for some American shows that were in the ... I forget the term, but it was some Japanese term for high school coming-of-age stuff. But hey, I was able to give her some suggestions! America and Japan aren't so freakishly distinct, nor so simplistic, that there's no overlap.) However, two problems I see with that approach are 1) I have a feeling that translation introduces some unnatural Japanese 2) in part overlapping with (1), language is sort of bound to culture and environment, and so there's something problematic with learning through translations.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Aug 16th, '10, 22:22

JaJe wrote:
Neliets wrote:I decided to watch a jdrama again. Want to hear Japanese language again ;D So, I need some recommendations. I'm looking for a drama, where you can have a good laugh too(like Stand Up) and I'd love if it would be teen love story of something.
I have been away from jdorama world for a month, so I have a lot of catching up to do, but right now I can recommend you a jdorama "Yankee-kun to Megane-chan" starring Narimiya Hiroki and Naka Riisa. It is based on a manga. It aired in this late spring.
"Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge" starring Johnnys Kamenashi Kazuya, Tegoshi Yuya, Uchi Hiroki and Miyao Shintaro and Oomasa Aya . Also based on a manga. Aired this late winter. Only the scene of Kamenashi-san cutting his hair is priceless :mrgreen:
My Boss, my hero starring Nagase Tomoya and Tegoshi Yuya. Aired in late summer 2006.
Also "Hana Kimi" ("Hanazakari no Kimitachi e") starring Oguri Shun, Ikuto Toma and Horikita Maki.
Have a good laugh! :cheers: [/b]
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge is just an epic drama ;D At the very beginning it just didn't make any sense ;D Later it started to make some sense but it's jsut so epic ;D They are all serious and doing a sweet-talk and all but I just can't stop laugh ;D This is brutal! And I'm only at 5th episode. ;D

xulescu

Post by xulescu » Aug 20th, '10, 18:23

can anyone recommend something similar to RAIFU ? even though at times i got the urge to throw the monitor out the window due to Anzai's cruel behavior, i still had the patience to watch it to the end.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 20th, '10, 19:47

rocketskates wrote: Generally speaking, I like sort of "geeky" shows, e.g. ones with sci-fi/fantasy/superhero type elements.
It's not a genre i usually watch but here's some recs:

Satorare: It's about a guy whose thoughts can be heard by the people around him but he doesn't know because people like him are protected by the state and nobody's allowed to tell him. What makes the situation worse is that he's working as doctor who wants to become a surgeon It's a great drama, really one of my favourites.

Yasha The story is about a set of twin clones who were part of gene altering/gene therapy experiment. Both were born with superior strength, supernatural powers and extremely high IQ. The twins were separated at birth, Sei grew up in normal surroundings and became an elite bio-chemistry scientist in America, Rin was kept in the lab. The good and the evil twin meet when Sei comes to Japan to investigate an unidentified virus that is spreading on an island.

Trick is about the strange relationship of Yamada Naoko, a skilled and unemployed magician, and Ueda Jiro a physics teacher who doesn't believe in supernatural powers. Both end up working together to solve mysteries. This one is clever, hilarious and has a nice cast.

Moyashimon airing atm, it's about a boy who can see and communicate with the germs all around him. Haven't watched it though

For Fantasy, try Saiyuuki or Kaibutsu-kun.
If you want fluffy romance and a kind-hearted vampire, try Koishte Akuma.
If you like Superheros, less story and loads of senseless whacky action try Sailor Moon or Tokusatsus, like Kamen Rider or Super Sentai Series.

There's loads of Japanese movies dealing with geeky topics of all sorts. If you like the genre, better go for movies imo. :-)

@xulescu, your icon is ridiculously large. ne! No offence, but why don't you choose a smaller sized one? It's kind of annoying having to scroll down half a page when you just write one line.

As for recs, you mean something about bullies in school or just something dark?
Maybe you'll like
Watashitachi no Kyokasho - bullies in school
Byakuyakou - a really f***ed up couple
Akai Ito - A young couple and their read thread of fate
Tsubasa no Oreta Tenshitachi - short stories about broken women
Uruwashiki Oni - about the complicated life of 2 sisters

Mitra1989

I've been JDrama-less for a year, please help.

Post by Mitra1989 » Aug 21st, '10, 02:38

Hi guys.

I've been really busy with university for the last year so I haven't been watching J-Dramas at all. I've watched a bit of anime but that's all.

The last series that I completed were Tiger & Dragon and Buzzer Beat. My favourite Dramas are My Boss My Hero, Kurosagi, Buzzer Beat, IWGP, Nobuta wo Produce, Hana Yori Dango 1 and 2 and Tiger & Dragon.

Judging by my taste, can anybody please recommend any similar dramas or any other J-Dramas that you personally like and recommend.

junior_pansy

Post by junior_pansy » Aug 21st, '10, 03:09

I'll recommend Hotaru no Hikari.

The sequel is currently running.

Have fun

rejakes

Post by rejakes » Aug 21st, '10, 03:45

tokyo dogs was pretty good. karei no spy was entertaining in an austin powers kinda way. it's been kid of a weak year for good dorama, in my opinion

xulescu

Post by xulescu » Aug 21st, '10, 20:07

ok. thanks for recommendations. i'm looking for both dark and bullies.

Gekokujou

Post by Gekokujou » Aug 23rd, '10, 11:55

I recommend the following: Tokyo Dogs, Karei nary Spy, Atashinchi no Danshi (all 2009), and Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (2007).

I hate to agree with what rejakes said about this year being a weak year for good dramas, but he speaks the truth. The only dramas this year that did me any justice was Yankee-kun to Megane-chan and maybe Unubore Deka (only watched the first episode of this one so far).

piousm

Post by piousm » Aug 23rd, '10, 12:04

Hi there. After watching a few good J-dramas that have an element of fantasy/comedy in them (like Proposal Daisakusen(sp?) and the Nara deer man (sorry, cant remember the name), and now starting on the k-drama my girlfriend is a nine tailed fox) I am after series that have some element of fantasy or legends etc in them. Not historical dramas, though (picky, arent I?) Comedy is great, but thriller is good too. Any thoughts? I'll check the 2 mentioned a few posts above, thanks.

saayan

Post by saayan » Aug 23rd, '10, 12:27

Seems like you like stuff by Kudo Kankuro, so I second the Unubore Deka rec. There's also Kisarazu Cat's Eye, Manhattan Love Story and Mirai Koshi Meguru, although they aren't as recent.

I, too, enjoyed Yankee-kun to Megane-chan. It's very lighthearted and good for some laughs.

Also, might as well throw Love Shuffle out there too. Definitely worth watching if you haven't already. It was possibly my favorite of 2009.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 23rd, '10, 13:00

If you like PD and Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi (Nara deer man) I think you'll love Satorare. Give it a try =) and tell me how you liked it afterwards ;) Also there's other korean drama about gumiho, just look for it at dramawiki.

vulcan300
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by vulcan300 » Aug 23rd, '10, 13:27

Dragon Zakura (old drama) or Shinzanmono (new) are both good.

piousm

Post by piousm » Aug 23rd, '10, 18:55

will do, thanks. I watched the movie of it, which was brilliant. Another which has these quirky elements is Samurai High School, which was really good - far better than I thought it would be.

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Aug 25th, '10, 07:54

I was hoping someone could recommend some jdramas for me. I usually watch k-dramas and have had little luck finding jdramas I like but i thought I should give it another shot. I like watching romance and suspense dramas. The jdramas I haved liked are:

koizora(although it was so sad i don't think I could watch it again)
hani yori dango
shotgun marriage(didn't care for the main actress but liked it otherwise)

ones i thought were ok:
akai ito
absolute boyfriend
pride

ones i did not like:
boys este
anego
attention please
koishite akuma
jotei

to give you a better idea of what i like my favorite dramas in general are:
you're beautiful, stars falling from the sky, goong, coffee prince, city hall, prosecutor princess, coffee house, the devil and whats up fox( all k dramas) and for tiawanese dramas: autumn's concerto, mars, devil beside you and why why love

i like romantic dramas with a happy ending or a suspense thriller( a little romance thrown in would be good too).

piousm

Post by piousm » Aug 25th, '10, 08:15

Hmmmm....try Otomen for some comedy/romance, Mei Chan for a bit of suspense/romance, Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi for a bit of everything, proposal daikasuken (sp?) for a romance/comedy/drama, Kurosagi for suspense and a bit of romance (just a little bit), buzzer beat for romance drama. They are all pretty good, I think.

saayan

Post by saayan » Aug 25th, '10, 08:37

@jubies33
Yeah, those dramas you listed under "did not like" are all pretty terrible. XD

For suspense, you could give Unfair a shot. It keeps you guessing and the leads Shinohara Ryoko and Eita are sizzling.

For romance, you could try Love Shuffle. The first episode is known to be kinda boring but once it picks up speed, I guarantee you won't be able to stop watching. Other popular ones are Orange Days and Hanazakari No Kimitachi E (though the latter is a bit cracky :D).

If you don't mind slightly older dramas, Long Vacation is a classic Jdrama romance. I've heard people say it's slow, but it remains one of my all-time favorites.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 25th, '10, 09:04

jubies33

Try any of the older Kimura Takuya drama, I especially liked Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi and Nemureru Mori because those are romance with some dark undertones, not your typical happy-go-lucky characters there. Also has suspense elements. Bara no nai Hanaya goes in a similar direction.

If you want something tragic try Beautiful Life or Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu

If you want something lighter, try Kimi wa Petto, Hotaru no Hikari, Nodame Cantabile or Kategoshi no Koibito, Lunch no Joou , Tatta Hitotsu no Koi (even though it's Kame and some other Jonnys, it was a nice story)

I also wanna recommend Summer Snow and Satorare - Dunno whether you'll like them but they're in my Top 10 ;)

If you liked Shotgun marriage, try Omiai Kekkon. It's from the same writer.

For suspence & romance try Byakuyako

From the previous recs I only liked Buzzer Beat and Love Shuffle - so my taste might be quite different from the norm ;) just go to dramawiki and check out the synopsis there =)

Also Natsu no Koi wa Niijiro ni Kagayaku which is currently airing seems to be a sweet romance story and if you like Matsujun, also check out Smile!

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Aug 25th, '10, 16:46

thanks for all the recs! i will check them out! i just got done watching virgin road and found it pretty good.

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Aug 25th, '10, 18:18

Has anyone seen Maou ? I saw the Korean drama the devil recently and loved it so much. I guess this is based on that drama. Is it any good?

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 25th, '10, 18:53

It's the same story, the Japanese one is the remake. IMO It's good but the Devil is much better but then I'm biased cause I like the Korean actors but i don't care for the Japanese - Jonnys boys Ohno and Ikuta.

WinnythePanda

Post by WinnythePanda » Aug 26th, '10, 04:47

Hi! I'm really new to Jdramas.
I've sucked the living daylights out of Korean movies/dramas so I thought I would give this a try :P

Anyways, I have already watched Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge, and to be honest, I thought it was just okay. I was really expecting something AMAZING because it's the most popular drama on dramacrazy.net, but it wasn't that great...

For a newbie like me, what can you all recommend? ^^
Or do you not think Jdramas are my thing because of my view of Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge?

saayan

Post by saayan » Aug 26th, '10, 05:26

Hi WinnythePanda~ Welcome to the world of Jdramas! Hope you stick around. :lol

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge is the most popular on there? I guess I'm not all too surprised, but I find that a tad disturbing lol. I'm sure you'll be relieved to know not all Jdramas are like that one, though of course there are quite a few that are.

Is there a specific genre that you like?

If you don't mind manga-ish storytelling (at least it's done well in this case), Nodame Cantabile is a must watch. Hana Yori Dango is also a favorite among fans. For more serious or subtle dramas, you could check out Bara no Nai Hanaya or Kekkon Dekinai Otoko.

I also seem to rec Love Shuffle wherever I go, so might as well throw that title out there too. XD

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 26th, '10, 07:15

Hi WinnythePanda :lol

I'm with saayan there, YNSH is neither a good jdrama nor representative ;) It just has some idols and it's based on a very popular manga/anime. (dropped it) Hope you'll find something you like - for me it's the other way round, I just turned to kdrama cause I've seen so manny japanese ones ;)

With jdrama, there's lots of stories based on manga and somethimes these liveactions are pretty whacky and the actors tend to overact and try to look like the anime characters as much as possible. While some of these (like Kimi wa Petto, Nodame Cantabile or Hotaru no Hikari are great dramas, others are pretty crappy ;)Ofc there's also drama based on original stories or novels.

It really depends on what kind you like, but I'd recommend the same dramas I recommended to jubies33 some posts before.

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Aug 26th, '10, 19:10

Hi WinnythePanda!

I also came from the world of kdramas and when I first started watching J-dramas, those manga adaptations scared me because so many were way over the top but I'm okay with many of them now. I think you can just get used to them.

Here are some romance dramas (if that's what you're looking for) that you can try:

Orange Days
Long Vacation
Pride
Buzzer Beat
Love Shuffle
Slow Dance
Golden Bowl
Anego
Tatta Hitotsu no Koi
Friends (Korean/Japan production)
Hotaru no Hikari
Love Generation
Ohitorisama
Virgin Road
H2: Kimi to Itahibi
Love and fight
Cupid no Itazuro *Odd storyline but quite sweet.
Nobuta wo Produce is a friendship drama, though.
Nodame Cantabilie is nice but seriously lacking on the romance front. Still a good drama regardless.

I enjoyed all these except Pride which was just okay to me. Majority are not those manga adaptations .lol.
Last edited by 12bucklemyshoe on Aug 27th, '10, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.

WinnythePanda

Post by WinnythePanda » Aug 26th, '10, 20:49

Thanks SO much saayan, arakira, and 12bucklemyshoe.
I was so disheartened and overwhelmed, but now I think I'll give it another shot.

I find that all Jap dramas are incredibly short, though...
I watched Hana Yori Dango halfway and dropped it because I thought that there was NO WAY that they can finish the story properly in 9 episodes.

Anyways, since it's a favourite among many, I think I'll start with Nodame Cantabile!
Thanks so much for all your help! :D

saayan

Post by saayan » Aug 27th, '10, 01:00

WinnythePanda wrote: I find that all Jap dramas are incredibly short, though...
I watched Hana Yori Dango halfway and dropped it because I thought that there was NO WAY that they can finish the story properly in 9 episodes.
You're welcome! I hope you find something to your liking.

Well in the case of Hana Yori Dango, there's always Hana Yori Dango 2 and the Final movie to finish the story. :lol (I can't say much though, since I myself haven't watched either yet >_>)

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Aug 27th, '10, 01:19

:D What attracts me the most to jdramas is the length. i feel like a lot of kdramas are too long which is why many drag like crazy in the middle. On the other hand, sometimes jdramas might not be as satisfying because they might not get very in depth - especially with the romances. So there are pros and cons. But I've found some jdramas that have managed to hit my romantic bone in far less time than many good kdramas. So I guess it's all in the writing.

Nodame is a good drama but very animated and as I said, the romance is seriously lacking (if that's what you're looking for).

piousm

Post by piousm » Aug 27th, '10, 05:36

I agree with you,12. 9 - 11 episodes is ideal for me, I find any longer and the characters start to annoy me, and it drags. That said, I'm trying a few k-dramas too, and really enjoying my girlfriend is a gumiho at the moment.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 27th, '10, 05:40

WinnythePanda wrote: I find that all Jap dramas are incredibly short, though...

Anyways, since it's a favourite among many, I think I'll start with Nodame Cantabile!
Thanks so much for all your help! :D
I feel exactly like 12bucklemyshoe, i often get bored with Korean drama but sometimes Japanese lack depth. You just gotta dig and find the better productions in both countries.

As for HYD, I did finish the Japanese one but I didn't really like the story. When I tried the Korean one later I was soo disappointed. Same story, more dragging and bad acting, especially the 2nd male lead. But I know everybody got a different opinon on this one.

As for Nodame - I love it! It's whacky, lacks focus on romance but therefore it's hilarious and has a warm feel to it, especially the main drama. Special is still good but I don't like the story as much (also in the manga) I'm still waiting for the 2nd theatrical movie release and the grande finale =)

Viande

Post by Viande » Aug 27th, '10, 16:03

Can anyone recommend any cute jdramas? Something like Kimi wa Petto? I've been watching so many heavy dramas lately that I need something else for change. :)

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Aug 28th, '10, 05:29

Viande wrote:Can anyone recommend any cute jdramas? Something like Kimi wa Petto? I've been watching so many heavy dramas lately that I need something else for change. :)
- Seigi no Mikata http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Seigi_no_Mikata_%282008%29

Viande

Post by Viande » Aug 28th, '10, 09:50

Seen it already but thanks! :) Any other recommendations (cute jdramas)?

Already seen or still watching: (should have listed them in the first place, sorry!)
Kimi wa Petto
Seigi no MIkata
Densha Otoko
Nodame Cantabile
Hanazakari no Kimitach e
Buzzer Beat
My Boss, My Hero
Zettai Kareshi
Princess Princess D
GTO

ohayo

Post by ohayo » Aug 28th, '10, 10:07

Viande wrote:Seen it already but thanks! :) Any other recommendations (cute jdramas)?

Already seen or still watching: (should have listed them in the first place, sorry!)
Kimi wa Petto
Seigi no MIkata
Densha Otoko
Nodame Cantabile
Hanazakari no Kimitach e
Buzzer Beat
My Boss, My Hero
Zettai Kareshi
Princess Princess D
GTO
How about "hotaru no hikari"?

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Aug 28th, '10, 13:01

Viande wrote:Seen it already but thanks! :) Any other recommendations (cute jdramas)?

Kimi wa Petto
Seigi no MIkata
Densha Otoko
Nodame Cantabile
Hanazakari no Kimitach e
Buzzer Beat
My Boss, My Hero
Zettai Kareshi
Princess Princess D
GTO
No problem! ^^
I second Hotaru no Hikari season 1 and season 2 (which is currently airing)
Nobuta wo Produce
Yamada Taro Monogatari
Kaibutsu-kun

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 28th, '10, 13:26

HYD 1 &2 is also a cute drama, all fluff^^

PS. Ohayo, you have a great sigi, that was one fine drama^^

Viande

Post by Viande » Aug 28th, '10, 20:22

Thanks all, will try those next. :)

Ethlenn: HYD? ahh Hana Yori Dango? I tried first episode some time ago but got the same effect as with BBF. ^^ But it wasn't that bad, I just somehow forgot this series. Maybe I should continue with it.