[Discussion] Natsu no Koi wa Niji-iro ni Kagayaku

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Aug 25th, '10, 18:40

I only root for the main couple in this drama. The bro is funny but he really only fell for her based on her looks. The actress can end up with the annoying actor.

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Aug 25th, '10, 18:57

I was wondering if there is a chance for Joe with Sakura too!
But after episode 5 and 6
I don't know, because the two of them haven't a relationship at all... plus Sakura is falling for Taiga...

illastrate

Post by illastrate » Aug 25th, '10, 19:02

Misato-san wrote:how many episodes have you seen?
I'm rooting for Shiori the most, because the two of them match very well.
I just finished ep. 5. I don't know, but Sakura is growing on me. At first she was just a stubborn princess type, but now...
she's showing her human points, like how during their rehearsal scene. I think it's good.

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Aug 25th, '10, 20:59

I think she's improving as a character from episode 3... in episode 2 she had her audition, failed it because the production wanted a "new face" without regard for her skills as a actress... but in episode 3 she worked in her role and had that cute moment with Taiga before we went to play his role... she was more human, I liked that.
But still I think she's no match for Shiori in Taiga's heart...

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 27th, '10, 11:33

i just fnished watching ep2-5 in one go and i have to say that i'm really loving this drama. being reading people's comments about it being boring. i don't think so at all. of course it does have a slower pace than other dramas but not boring at all.
i like tainga and shiori's chemistry together. but i still have doubts about them getting together for some reasons. but i love taiga x umi-chan interactions. she's such a cutie pie. i love when she says "ne, ne, mama?" sooo cute.
as for sakura, she is growing in me too but i can't imagine her to be with taiga either. i like all of characters in here with one exception. that annoying showing off actor :P

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Aug 27th, '10, 11:59

12bucklemyshoe wrote:I only root for the main couple in this drama. The bro is funny but he really only fell for her based on her looks. The actress can end up with the annoying actor.
I think the annoying actor is really truly just annoying, but I am beginning to wonder if the Sakura we are seeing is really what she is, or if it is just a front. I am getting the feeling that she is kind of jealous of Taiga X Shiori and really wants someone to love her like Taiga, and not the annoying people that only see her an actress and beautiful face that they can be with.

I really hope that she changes, for the good, in the coming episodes.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 27th, '10, 12:14

After episode 6 I still love the drama. It's slow but nice and warm.
I do believe there'll be Taiga X Shiori. Even though the preview showed them being apart and Sakura trying to get Taiga to rely on her to forget Shiori. I firmly believe in a nijiiro-coloured happy end. ;)
I hope the next episodes won't focus too much on Sakura's intrigues but give us some development on Shiori's side. I think she gradually comes to face her feelings towards Taiga.

I also loved the guest this time: Tsukamoto Takashi as Kitamura Haruki!!
And I agree with Issy, the little girl only gets cuter =)

Edit: Nagayama is soo wasted on the annoying actor!!

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Aug 27th, '10, 12:52

I've got problems with Joe too!
Not with the actor, he's good, but with the character because he loves to annoy poor Taiga...

But I think even him is going to change, because he and Taiga are developing a cat and dog relationship.
Of course they can't be friends like Taiga and Keita are (they have long history together, they know each other from the childlood etc), but in episode 6
Taiga asked some advice about acting to Joe.

This shows us two things at least: the first one is that Taiga is changing a lot his attitude torward acting. He really wants to improve and he is asking himself why Joe gets the parts he aims to play. I think this started while he was watching Sakura acting but now there is something more and in this episode we also see an improvement in the cm ^^

Second thing is... Joe replies to him in a decent friendly way.
The started on a back track for sure but now they are considering each other in a more... human way.
Plus, Joe talks to him about the fact he was in love when he started acting, this points out that emotions are something fundamental for an actor in the view of Natsuniji, and we are back on what Shiori noticed about tsundere Taiga from the very first episode.
So I'm curious to know what part even Joe will play in Taiga's career ^^

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Aug 27th, '10, 13:12

arakira wrote:After episode 6 I still love the drama. It's slow but nice and warm.
I do believe there'll be Taiga X Shiori. Even though the preview showed them being apart and Sakura trying to get Taiga to rely on her to forget Shiori. I firmly believe in a nijiiro-coloured happy end. ;)
I don't think Natsuniji is slow so I always wonder why some of you have this feeling... maybe it's because I don't feel the time passing while watching it and every week I think: "oh my god a whole hour passed on me o_O" but... I love it as it is ^^

As for the preview of episode 7,
I don't know, often previews are really making us thinking the wrong way... XD
Sakura is attacking for sure, but on the other side, I think Shiori will ask herself why she even replied to Taiga's kiss.
She also touches her lips in a scene, so I think there is a meaning behind it.
I also loved the guest this time: Tsukamoto Takashi
as Kitamura Haruki!!
Me too!
I wonder what part he will play in the story because they announced that
he is in until episode 8
And I agree with Issy, the little girl only gets cuter =)
Umi for the win!
She's cute, she's smart, she loves Taiga... <333

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 27th, '10, 13:36

Misato-san wrote: Of course they can't be friends like Taiga and Keita are (they have long history together, they know each other from the childlood etc), but in episode 6
Taiga asked some advice about acting to Joe.

This shows us two things at least: the first one is that Taiga is changing a lot his attitude torward acting. He really wants to improve and he is asking himself why Joe gets the parts he aims to play. I think this started while he was watching Sakura acting but now there is something more and in this episode we also see an improvement in the cm ^^

Second thing is... Joe replies to him in a decent friendly way.
The started on a back track for sure but now they are considering each other in a more... human way.
Plus, Joe talks to him about the fact he was in love when he started acting, this points out that emotions are something fundamental for an actor in the view of Natsuniji, and we are back on what Shiori noticed about tsundere Taiga from the very first episode.
So I'm curious to know what part even Joe will play in Taiga's career ^^
I think he also told us why their relationship is the cats and dogs kind
Joe was jealous and angry because Taiga as a second generation actor got a role just for that fact and so he decided he wouldn't let that happen again. So I guess that's why he used to be mean to Taiga. But now he probably wants a good relationship to get close to Sakura. Wonder how he'll react when he sees how she fancies Taiga :)

I also think being in love and learning about human life and relationships will help Taiga's acting and he'll finally live up to his potential after he goes through lots of love related troubles =)

Yes and I am also excited for Tsukamoto's role

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 27th, '10, 14:12

and i am really loving Taiga's character development through out eps 1-5. not sure what jun was thinking about in 1st eps because he reminded me of Domyoji's character in some scenes but i believe that he is understanding his character more and more now.
it's great to see taiga so strong and determined with his life/love/career.
and one more thing, why they make him run so much? :mrgreen: where the public transport has gone?

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Aug 27th, '10, 14:54

I've only seen up to ep 5 because I need subs but from the tone of this drama, I don't expect anything out of the ordinary to occur... the OTP will be together. Sakura isn't a threat :D

Even Joe will most likely become less annoying. I think he's already looking at Taiga with different eyes because of his relationship with Sakura. Sakura as well, they've already shown a different side to her with how she later treated Shiori when she spent the day as her manager. Plus her willingness to take roles that some might have thought were "beneath" her.

But Umi... why doesn't she like addressing her elders in the proper manner? That's the only thing I don't like about that cute little girl. It's a bid rude.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 27th, '10, 16:21

12bucklemyshoe wrote:I've only seen up to ep 5 because I need subs but from the tone of this drama, I don't expect anything out of the ordinary to occur... the OTP will be together. Sakura isn't a threat :D

Even Joe will most likely become less annoying.

But Umi... why doesn't she like addressing her elders in the proper manner? That's the only thing I don't like about that cute little girl. It's a bid rude.
Sakura&Joe: Exactly =)

Umi, i was wondering about it,too because apart from that she's a clever and well-behaved girl. But it was too cute when she just dropped the honorifics and plainly called him Taiga. LOL, like calling her dog :lol :lol

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Aug 27th, '10, 16:57

to me it's most like... Umi seems to see all people as potential friends.
So, since she feels friendship torward Taiga, who happens to be someone who cares for her a lot... calling him without honorifics it's not derespectful, it's only a cute way to express her affection.
She also calls Machiko (Taiga's mom) in a cute way because she's still learning how to address people... and people understand her properly because give her good feedbacks.

I think finding a 6 years old polite and cute as Umi is rude only because she's learning about the formal world of adults really strange!
She's little after all.

And I love when she says: "Ops, I slipped again" with that cute face when her moms tries to lecture her.

(And I love the most when she calls Taiga by his given name with a smile on her face, happy to see him around her :wub: :wub: :wub:
Shiori your child is faster and smarter than you XDDDDDD)

arakira wrote:
(about Joe)
Joe was jealous and angry because Taiga as a second generation actor got a role just for that fact and so he decided he wouldn't let that happen again. So I guess that's why he used to be mean to Taiga. But now he probably wants a good relationship to get close to Sakura. Wonder how he'll react when he sees how she fancies Taiga Smile
I wonder about that too.. basically a lot of relationship in this drama to me feel like real life... you start with your own judice, your own idea about someone, but when you are able to meet the real person... it's all different.
This applies to Taiga and Shiori, she felt him like a self centered bocchan, and now she knows how caring and supporting he can be; Sakura too had a bad idea of Taiga and started to call him senpai to joke with his condition but now she understands that he is more soft and struggling than he wants the world to know about him.

As for Taiga and Joe... Taiga was envious of him getting all the roles, while Joe considered him lucky to be the son of a famous actor... and now he knows even luck has shades of gray... from Taiga side, when he finally released that there are reasons between his ability to get roles he started to think about them... and he discovered that Joe is not so bad...

Oh, I totally love the psychology in this drama!!! :wub:

Issy said:
and one more thing, why they make him run so much? Mr. Green where the public transport has gone?
There are two reasons behind this:
1. Taiga is played by a (gorgeous <3) JE guy, they run a lot in dramas XDDDDDD
2. Maybe a bocchan used to get the car even to buy milk isn't used to public transport XD

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Aug 27th, '10, 20:12

Of course, it's not a big deal but I think Umi actually knows the right way to address her elders, especially someone like Taiga's mom. Or maybe I am strange... lol. But I don't think so. If I were her mom I would really give her a stern warning about that stuff. Maybe I'm just too strict.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 27th, '10, 20:29

Yes, not a big deal as she's not usually rude. Maybe she just slips when she's excited... but still, you hardly even have kids drop the honorifics with their nakama maybe with some very close friends... but i haven't heard it much. Rather heard them say -kun or -chan or nicknames with -chan. I would have expected her to maybe call him nii-chan if she felt really close... but the plain Taiga really made me laugh. It was surprising and cute. =)

But as you said, Misato-san, it works as a means of showing how comfortable Umi already is with Taiga...now her mum just needs to follow suit =P

(btw, I don't mean it in a negative sense when I say this drama is a bit slow) I like all the characters and the interaction- and compared to some of my favourite japanese movies, this is like a rollercoaster ride :lol

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Aug 27th, '10, 20:54

arakira wrote:Yes, not a big deal as she's not usually rude. Maybe she just slips when she's excited... but still, you hardly even have kids drop the honorifics with their nakama maybe with some very close friends... but i haven't heard it much. Rather heard them say -kun or -chan or nicknames with -chan. I would have expected her to maybe call him nii-chan if she felt really close... but the plain Taiga really made me laugh. It was surprising and cute. =)
I've got another reason to think about that without worring for Umi politeness: I think she's not used to interact with new people, she's often with her mom or alone... so she's not used to addressing people.
But she's a fast learner.
I prefer when she talks about Taiga without honorifics XD
I feel the two of them more close... even Taiga don't use the -chan with her, and I love this too. :wub:
(I'm biased torward Umi I guess XDDDDDD)

I don't know if I'd like to see her addressing him as Nii-chan... but the fact she doesn't use that with him is another thing that lead me to think she's not used to address older people...
But as you said, Misato-san, it works as a means of showing how comfortable Umi already is with Taiga...now her mum just needs to follow suit =P
Shiori learn from Umi for our sake XDDDDD
(btw, I don't mean it in a negative sense when I say this drama is a bit slow) I like all the characters and the interaction- and compared to some of my favourite japanese movies, this is like a rollercoaster ride :lol
Now I'm curious to know at least a couple of titles of your list XD

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 27th, '10, 22:18

:offtopic:
I mean movies like
Still Walking, Mboroshi no Hikari, Strawberries on the Shortcakes, Rainbow Song, Oishii Man, Hana and Alice, Air Doll, Linda Linda Linda etc

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Aug 28th, '10, 05:00

end of episode 4 and the whole of 5 & 6 was really lovely. Too bad they missed the opportunity to capture viewers earlier...
The kiss was really sweet and I'm so happy to see Shiori responded <333

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Aug 28th, '10, 09:03

D-addicts only has subs up to episode 4 so I couldn't watch rest but so far I am liking this series. It maybe that I am biased (I was looking forward to seeing more of Takeuchi Yuko since I watched Lunch no Joou) but also there are more positive factors than negative ones for me.

For one the general pace of the show is something I look forward to (on that note; loved Oishii Gohan). I dont like watching too-fast-paced shows unless they are action based. I dont like them too slow that I'd feel disconnected but this one feel right.

Another positive factor for me is Umi. With Umi I get the feeling that she is trying to see the world in an adult way; she is trying to out-grow herself. An interesting character to follow. I hope there will be someone in the show to help her stop and enjoy her childhood. From the looks of it right now only Taiga (and maybe his bro) can fit in that role.
And my take on the whole "not using honorofics" situation is this: Japanese society from what I understand is very strict. This makes relationships that can overcome this invisible barrier and make a more personal connection much more special. I think the writers were trying to show the audience the immatureness of Taiga and the maturity of Umi and the easiest (and most noticable) way they could find was to make them drop honorifics when they interact with each other. And you should take note that this relationship was initiated by Taiga himself not the other way around. From the looks of it Taiga was the first person that saw and interact with Umi as she was an "individual person" instead of another kid. She just responded in kind.
Well.. thats how I saw it anyways. I am neither a japanese nor live there so my understanding of their society and their psychology is only limited to the movies, dramas and shows I watched.

I also like how everyone but Taiga can understand (and on some level; connect) Taiga pretty easily. This makes the show a self-awareness one and I look forward to watching Taiga discovers his true self on his quest of bettering himself.

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Aug 28th, '10, 19:35

kirtil wrote:Another positive factor for me is Umi. With Umi I get the feeling that she is trying to see the world in an adult way; she is trying to out-grow herself. An interesting character to follow. I hope there will be someone in the show to help her stop and enjoy her childhood. From the looks of it right now only Taiga (and maybe his bro) can fit in that role.
To me Taiga is more suitable than Daiki... because Daiki is her teacher at school but doesn't have a real connection with her outside school, he tries a lot to have one to reach Shiori, but his concern for Umi is interested.
Instead Taiga really like the cute child... Plus in episode 5
Shiori rejected Daiki in a way that leaves the teacher poor options...
And my take on the whole "not using honorofics" situation is this: Japanese society from what I understand is very strict. This makes relationships that can overcome this invisible barrier and make a more personal connection much more special. I think the writers were trying to show the audience the immatureness of Taiga and the maturity of Umi and the easiest (and most noticable) way they could find was to make them drop honorifics when they interact with each other.
I can understand the first part of your sentence but not the last one.
Why Taiga has to be immature if he talks with Umi without addressing her as a child? Often adults make the mistake of thinking a child can properly talk with them because they are small... it's like thinking that small has a stupid meaning in it >_<
Instead Taiga talks to her like she's someone with an opinion valuable to him.
And like she's someone he want to support, like in the poll scene (loved it) in episode 4.
She felt his concern more than anything... and replied to it with all her heart <3
I also like how everyone but Taiga can understand (and on some level; connect) Taiga pretty easily. This makes the show a self-awareness one and I look forward to watching Taiga discovers his true self on his quest of bettering himself.
He's changing, you'll see, he's changing and asking himself the correct questions... :wub:

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Aug 29th, '10, 07:03

I didnt mean to use immature as a negative thing there, sorry for the confusion. I was trying to write that I think Taiga is a lot closer to his inner child than he realizes and has a lot growing up to do. This is not a bad thing imo. He can connect with Umi on a more personal level because of this.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Aug 30th, '10, 19:32

Ep07 has a new OP. Also, it has been confirmed that this drama will have 10 episodes only!

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Aug 30th, '10, 19:38

only? it's a jdrama, it's pretty normal ^^

Anybody here saw the 7th episode?

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Aug 30th, '10, 20:03

Misato-san wrote:only? it's a jdrama, it's pretty normal ^^
yup, I know that! but Jun-kun fans want more that's why! :P

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Aug 30th, '10, 20:29

I'm a Jun fan at heart from 4 years but I want a good drama despite the number of episodes XDDD

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Aug 30th, '10, 20:45

Misato-san wrote: I want a good drama despite the number of episodes XDDD
Of course...no one can disagree with that! ;)

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Aug 30th, '10, 23:43

I'm watching on viikii so I got to see episode 6 with subs. The one thing I don't like about jdramas is that they tend to fall in love so damn quickly. Hasn't Taiga been in love since episode 1? Lol. Anyway, the end of the episode was cute. I like the whole
"Sorry, Sorry." SMOOCH. LOL.
It must be hard being in a love triangle with a dead person but at least they are handling Shiori's love development properly. I wonder what role her husband's brother is going to play since it looks like he also appears in ep 7. I hope not another love interest.

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Aug 30th, '10, 23:53

Haruki is on episode 7 and even in episode 8. And I'll stop spoilering you about this XD
I really think he will play some sort of role in order to make Shiori think about her life in a different light because in episode 6 he said to her
that having her own life isn't a crime only because Yuki is dead
and I agree with him...

But I don't think characters fall in love early in this drama, because even Taiga, who claimed love at first sight, had his time to properly understand him feeling and he spent time with Shiori so he can say why she likes her (and he did it while talking with Daiki in episode 4)

battousaiken

Post by battousaiken » Aug 31st, '10, 23:33

I love this drama. I have no idea why people find it boring.

To be honest, being a guy, I am not swayed by the male lead and feel that he's not a good actor, so he must be famous for his looks and nothing more. He is charismatic though, I'll give him that.

However, Takeuchi Yuko is just fricking adorable, cute, lovable, beautiful and hot; and what's more: she's getting better with age! I honestly believe she can carry a drama by herself (she did so in Fukigen na Gene).

As for the story itself, it is important to distinguish its 3 different sub-stories:

1. Taiga's journey to become a decent actor. (This is not slow at all. He has made great strides since the first episode and continues to do his best.)

2. Shiori's journey of evolution from a widower who cannot and does not want to let go to a woman who moves on with her life for the sake of her child and her own happiness. (This is what is slowing down the drama. Information about her husband should have been disclosed much earlier and her evolution has been moving at a snail's pace).

3. Taiga and Shiori's love story. (This is zooming fast. He loved her from the first episode; and if it wasn't for her dead husband, she probably would have fallen for him as well. I would love to see something other than the husband separating them; something fightable; as it is, Taiga cannot do anything other than be himself and wait for Shiori to make a decision. It has been like that since the first episode.)

All in all, this is a very good drama, even without the acting subplot. That is just icing on the cake, giving us a glimpse of the politics of celebirty in Japan.

I give it an 8.5/10 so far.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 2nd, '10, 09:47

i am loving, loving, loving this drama. more and more with each eps. it's the only drama that i just sit and watched it peacefully not wanting to FF some scenes (which is happening alot during last and this seasons dramas with other ones). i love its pace too. it has some sort of calming effects on me that i can't describe it.

as mentioned above, i love the changes/developement that characters are going through in this drama and is not only with taiga and shiori. even annoying actor is not that annoying anymore to me now and i am starting to like him. i think writer(s) are doing great job in showing real human emotions and feelings without any exaggerations that mostly happens in drama world and not in real world.

finished ep6 just now and i really loved (how many times i have written this word so far? :mrgreen: ) the last few minutes of the ep after that trophy broke. omg, so much feelings, so much emotions were on those scenes. Jun and Yuko are doing great job here and they have such a great chemistry making me wonder about reading that they are not getting along togther well behind the scenes.

now i am resisting watching next eps raw because Nijiro was one those dramas that i did not rely on my japanese and watched all eps with subs, but i just can't wait to watch the next eps and i don't know how to distract myself not to. i think i will give in very soon. :crazy:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 2nd, '10, 11:06

Issy! I so agree with you. This drama is soothing and calming. Each episode left me with a warm feeling. For me it's not niijiro but atatakai kiiro ;) episode 7 was really nice as well and the good thing about this kind of love story is you don't really need subs to understand and it's nice to rewatch with subs without getting bored.

And you're right about the way the characters develop, I even like Sakura, I'm glad they didn't make her become a **** (at least until now) and I find the way Taigas relationship with the rival actor developped pretty cute.

I finally watched ep. 7 yesterday and
I love Tsukamoto's part as 'nii-san'. I think he'll play a crucial role for Shiori to open up. In the preview it seems Taiga will get jealous. :lol
But the best part was Umi and her two little suitors - soo cute :wub:
Also I really like Taiga for considering Shiori's feelings. He's pretty mature in this respect.
The opening shows him acting in a play, right? Will be nice to see him improve his skills at that workshop. I'm rooting for little bocchan now :-)

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 2nd, '10, 11:25

@arakira
that's it. i made up my mind. going to dl and watch the next eps. i know, it would be an easy one to understand but because i am loving the drama to the point that i didn't want to miss even smallest detail :P but i can't wait anymore. :goggle:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 2nd, '10, 13:00

Hm I can understand that thought but for me, I'm too curious to wait for subs and I think it helps me learning Japanese when I rewatch with subs later. Plus, you get twice the fun with good dramas =) Anyway, I really hope I didn't crush your resolve and you won't regret being too curious :P

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 2nd, '10, 13:17

Ladies, I decided to watch first episodes on this weekend. Because of you two, and I trust your udgment.

And, hell, yes, it's Jun.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 2nd, '10, 13:30

WOW! You're even announcing you'll watch a jdrama?!? :rofl: :rofl:
Good thing about it is its lightness and how it gets better with the time. I found the first 2 eps mediocre but started to really like it after eps 3&4 =)

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 2nd, '10, 14:03

arakira wrote:WOW! You're even announcing you'll watch a jdrama?!? :rofl: :rofl:
Good thing about it is its lightness and how it gets better with the time. I found the first 2 eps mediocre but started to really like it after eps 3&4 =)
good to know dear E-chan. as ara said the first 2 eps are abit slow and medicore but just hang on there and it will pick up. and yesss, it's JUUUUUUUN. :wub: :wub: :wub:
i think he is the only favourite actor of mine that i have watched every single one of his dramas and loved them. even the bambino drama :P

ps. watching ep7 now. 8)

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Sep 2nd, '10, 14:14

battousaiken wrote:To be honest, being a guy, I am not swayed by the male lead and feel that he's not a good actor, so he must be famous for his looks and nothing more. He is charismatic though, I'll give him that.
I don't understand this I have to admit... since you are a guy you aren't able to accept that a good looking guy can act?
He has not only tons of charisma, he is also really good at expressing Taiga's feelings.
I hope you'll give him some credit someday, I don't understand why people need talk about gender when comes to stuff like that.

I'm a woman, and I love both him and Takeuchi Yuko because they are really something in this drama (and not only in this drama). XD
1. Taiga's journey to become a decent actor. (This is not slow at all. He has made great strides since the first episode and continues to do his best.)
And he is also getting better and better.
Episode 6 is a good reference to this.
2. Shiori's journey of evolution from a widower who cannot and does not want to let go to a woman who moves on with her life for the sake of her child and her own happiness. (This is what is slowing down the drama. Information about her husband should have been disclosed much earlier and her evolution has been moving at a snail's pace).
I don't think this is a problem for the story, unless we don't want something psychologically reliable.
People can't change in a few months. The story started only a few months ago (you can check dates here and there in the drama), while her personal problem regarding Yuki's death is old story, but not for her.
For so many years Shiori hasn't allowed herself to even think about people other than Umi. With Taiga it's different, but she needs time to understand that a new love isn't derespectful torward her late husband.

It doesn't matter who Yuki was, the scriptwriter doesn't show us his face because the problem is in Shiori's head. The problem is that huge wall between her and the world, the fact she is scared to ask for help when she needs it... this is her main problem and doesn't concern only her potential relationship with Taiga.
3. Taiga and Shiori's love story. (This is zooming fast. He loved her from the first episode; and if it wasn't for her dead husband, she probably would have fallen for him as well. I would love to see something other than the husband separating them; something fightable;
I think a psychological problem is something really huge. And new in some ways, because you can see triangles in tons of dramas, but fighting with a memory of someone dead... it's even better, and it's also more hard.

Issy wrote: it has some sort of calming effects on me that i can't describe it.
it energizes me instead!
Even when I feel frustrated (=
look at cliffhanger
in episode 7
U_U or the whole Shiori developement in the episode)
as mentioned above, i love the changes/developement that characters are going through in this drama and is not only with taiga and shiori. even annoying actor is not that annoying anymore to me now and i am starting to like him.
Eh eh... even Joe has lights with him!
And I also think after episode 6, he will play his role in helping Taiga to improve himself.
because
now they haven't hard feelings for each other anymore...
Jun and Yuko are doing great job here and they have such a great chemistry making me wonder about reading that they are not getting along togther well behind the scenes.
We don't know if this is true... plus is an old rumor, it was out after episode 2... we have also good stories about the two of them (like the one of the photoshoot, or the present from her to him for his birthday last monday... check natsuniji community @ livejournal for more info)

arakira wrote:I finally watched ep. 7 yesterday and
I love Tsukamoto's part as 'nii-san'. I think he'll play a crucial role for Shiori to open up. In the preview it seems Taiga will get jealous. :lol
Poor guy...
Taiga doesn't deserve to suffer again ;_; Instead I really hope Haruki can help Shiori to focus on her feelings and on her life more.
And as a personal desire, can I say I'd like to see Shiori chasing Taiga at least once? ç_ç

I loved Tsukamoto too!

Also I really like Taiga for considering Shiori's feelings. He's pretty mature in this respect.
Taiga is such a nice guy, he's learning a lot how to deal with someone he really cares for.
The opening shows him acting in a play, right? Will be nice to see him improve his skills at that workshop. I'm rooting for little bocchan now :-)
it does, and I like the new opening but that scene was in the old one too, with a different angle.
I've got a theory about the meaning of the two openings, I need to rewatch episode 7 and maybe I'll write it ^^

@ Ethlenn
I'll look forward your impressions too!
To me, it was a good drama from its very start, but if I labeled the first couple of episodes as really cute, from the third one I need to say it's getting better and better scene after scene :wub:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 2nd, '10, 14:25

Misato-san wrote:
battousaiken wrote:To be honest, being a guy, I am not swayed by the male lead and feel that he's not a good actor, so he must be famous for his looks and nothing more. He is charismatic though, I'll give him that.
I don't understand this I have to admit... since you are a guy you aren't able to accept that a good looking guy can act?
He has not only tons of charisma, he is also really good at expressing Taiga's feelings.
I hope you'll give him some credit someday, I don't understand why people need talk about gender when comes to stuff like that.

I'm a woman, and I love both him and Takeuchi Yuko because they are really something in this drama (and not only in this drama). XD
I think I can understand battousaiken. Don't get me wrong, I think Jun is doing a good job here and he's constantly worked on improving his acting but for me I also feel he's not a real actor and it certainly is his charisma that makes me watch his dramas. I couldn't stand Aiba's or Sakurai's last dramas, they are really bad imo but it's different with Matsujun. He's good in some scenes and a bit awkward in others but his charisma makes up for it...and then I have to say he's better than a lot of Japanese guys who call themselves actors.

Ah, and I'm interested to hear about your thoughts for the new opening

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 2nd, '10, 15:30

loving the new opening. i like it. much more than the previous one. i thought it was cute enough in ep1 but somehow found myself skipping the opening after ep2. not sure why though.
ep7 was very good again. again, umi-chan sooo kawaii. but have you noticed that it has been some eps that taiga stopped coming out in disguise anymore? no hats, no glasses. the way i see it is because he come to realise that he is not as famous/important as he thought he was. before, he was too over confident with his skills and could not see where he is going wrong but these days, and he wants to learn more and better himself.
can't really wait for next ep

as for jun's acting, i am a junbait since 4 year ago and he sure has charisma in his presence. but i really don't relate it to him being good looking. maybe his first drama was (but even then i can't see it because he was younger back then and was not a good looking as he is right now :P ) i think he is a very good/dedicated actor. i always watch his behind the scenes of dramas and he is always so serious and hard working on his characters. whhen i find out that Jun is one of arashi member, i thought he just needs to quit the band and concentrate on his acting because he does have lots of talent to prove himself more and more. i think out of arashi, nino, ohno and Jun are the good actors and aiba and sakurai have lots to learn..
one thing he can do the best is showing emotions and feelings. they're some convincing.

battousaiken

Post by battousaiken » Sep 2nd, '10, 22:06

Misato-san wrote:

You misunderstand my point. I don't feel he is a good actor and I believe that being a guy my judgment cannot be clouded by his looks. This does not mean that as a guy, I cannot appreciate the acting ability of another guy. It just means that some actors are famous for something other than their acting, and I believe this guy falls into that category.

3. Taiga and Shiori's love story. (This is zooming fast. He loved her from the first episode; and if it wasn't for her dead husband, she probably would have fallen for him as well. I would love to see something other than the husband separating them; something fightable;
I think a psychological problem is something really huge. And new in some ways, because you can see triangles in tons of dramas, but fighting with a memory of someone dead... it's even better, and it's also more hard.
The problem with this is that it makes Taiga useless. You can never fight with the memory of a dead person, which by the way, is not something new at all (it has been done to death in J-dramas). The only way for a conflict like this to be resolved is internally, by Shiori.

azrull

Post by azrull » Sep 3rd, '10, 03:05

looks good. gonna watch it

calimerina

Post by calimerina » Sep 3rd, '10, 06:07

battousaiken wrote:I don't feel he is a good actor and I believe that being a guy my judgment cannot be clouded by his looks. This does not mean that as a guy, I cannot appreciate the acting ability of another guy. It just means that some actors are famous for something other than their acting, and I believe this guy falls into that category.
I totally agree with you. I'm a woman but I don't like his acting. This is my second (and last, I think) dorama with Matsumoto after "Smile", I didn't like him in the first one, I gave him a second chance, but I don't like him in this one either. Bleah.

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Sep 3rd, '10, 22:24

I totally agree about Jun's acting: he's not a good actor. He's just a decent actor + he has a huge charisma (that's a fact!). But, as someone already mentioned, he's still better than many "actors" who call themselves actors.

The gap between Jun's acting and Yuko's acting is EXTREMELY huge. Just to add, I'm a big fan of Jun, a big fan of Arashi. When I see Jun laughing on a TV show, it is totally different from when he's laughing on the drama. I can clearly see it's not a real smile, but a forced smile, and it bothers me so much. I hate to admit it, being myself a fan of Jun, but he still needs to learn a lot to be a good actor, or at least, for me to consider he's a good actor.

BTW, I'm loving this drama. Really good!!

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Sep 7th, '10, 11:51

Episode 8 [edited: 7].
Jun is a good kisser. don't really care about the acting (not saying he is bad) but he is a very pretty man to watch. even if his acting looks awkward, i can still laugh at how ridiculous he looked and not being annoyed by it.

HARDER THAN HARDCORE XD XD XD

Yuko is lovely too.

This drama pleases me very much :D
Last edited by brokenparadise on Sep 7th, '10, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 7th, '10, 12:38

loved the ep8
it has LOVE written all over it.
so happy that finally shiori accepted her feelings for taiga and now they are together as a couple. but it seems that umi-chan will start making some problem next week.
Last edited by Issy on Sep 7th, '10, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Sep 7th, '10, 13:32

^ you mean episode 8 right?

I realized I've mistakenly wrote episode 7 in my previous comment too. Two more episodes to go :cry:

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 7th, '10, 14:09

brokenparadise wrote:^ you mean episode 8 right?

I realized I've mistakenly wrote episode 7 in my previous comment too. Two more episodes to go :cry:
yes sorry , ep 8. will edit :mrgreen:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 8th, '10, 19:47

Issy wrote:loved the ep8
it has LOVE written all over it.
so happy that finally shiori accepted her feelings for taiga and now they are together as a couple. but it seems that umi-chan will start making some problem next week.
Yes,
But we know she likes Taiga so maybe she just that she doesn't want thing to change. She doesn't need a dad. Which might be better because Taiga won't have to try too hard to act like one then ;)

I felt really bad for Sakura in the beginning of ep 8, poor woman, how thick can a guy be to see it all as an act?! Haha he really can't imagine her being in love with him :lol

The episode was really cute...I'm glad noone saw me sitting in front of the screen with that stupid grin on my face :lol
But again, Jun was a bit too awkward. I guess he has the same problem as Taiga...he seems to be overthinking his act.

Sakaban

Post by Sakaban » Sep 11th, '10, 13:02

does anyone know the brand that Matsumoto Jun always wear in this drama? the logo seem to be a red white and blue stripes.

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Sep 14th, '10, 18:01

We began watching this the other night. At ep3, we shut it off...wife kept commenting that there is little to no chemistry between Jun and Yuko. Individually they are watchable but here...not quite. The character maturity between Jun and Yuko is vast...trying to make this into a love story between them . :roll Then I began wondering what the heck is the story progressing into, love triangle, father's possible adventures, mother...what?

We'll plod along and see how it develops since there seem to be some positive comments for the later episodes. Just hope that come the end, we aren't left feeling..."That is how they ended it?!" :nuts: :doh:

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Sep 14th, '10, 23:11

Aside from the chemistry issue (some of us felt it from the first time, some of us didn't felt it until a certain episode) I can tell, without spoiler you a lot, that the gap between the characters will have his interesting developement because for Taiga there is something about acting that will trigger him... as for Shiori, some stuff you was in episode 3 are a key for her character.

the teaser was really enlighting when he was pointing to us that the color of this love is something misterious because the relationship between Taiga and Shiori is full of different emotions and develops step by step.

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Sep 15th, '10, 04:24

I was also thinking of My Pet. That was quite interesting with an equally difference in age and character development.

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Sep 16th, '10, 15:35

Ep 8 was nice (thanks to girigiri for the subs). I like the side characters like Joe and Sakura more these days. Taiga still remains my least fave... lol. Still really like his brother and if this were a Korean drama, I would ship Shiori's brother-in-law with her. LOL.

Anyway, I guess there'll be some drama in ep 9 concerning Umi. The only issue I have with this couple is that I don't really feel their love. Like Taiga fell for her so quickly and I'm not sure I really believe Shiori is in love with him. And I think they kiss in a weird way... like pucker up too much or something. hahahaha... I guess I have issues. I like it when it seems like the couple really needs to be together but I don't feel that way in this drama.

But it's still enjoyable and I liked the confession scene on the rooftop :)

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 17th, '10, 13:17

Ep. 9 was worth watching solely for
Sato Koichi's cameo :P

Also guests for ep. 10 are Nino, Kitamura Yukiya, Fukada Kyoko and Masachika Ichimura

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Sep 17th, '10, 13:43

@ 12bucklemyshoe
in episode 9 there are points where you can feel the love a lot... they
are just starting to express that love, plus the situation is not simple at all, also because of Umi

@ arakira
wow, how strick you are!
to me it was worth watching for the whole episode... that part was really useful to wrap the storyline part where
Taiga has some "issues" with his dad, because we know from episode 1 (look at the flashbacks!) he started acting because he was fascinated by his dad and had problems admitting him due to his second generation actor condition.
With the second Gin-san part he had issues because he had to remember his old desire to be like his father... and Sato's character - I can't remember his name - helped him to remember he is got a long way to go but he needs to endure in it because also a 2nd gen actor can be successful... I liked it a lot.
But all the episode was worth watching despite the fact I'm really angry at
Daiki because of what he said at the school... there were several ways to shut up those gossips, and he choose the worst one for his brother.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 17th, '10, 14:58

Misato-san I don't know what 'to be strick' means?
But I was joking, never take me too serious. :lol I didn't mean to say I didn't like the rest of the episode just that his cameo was a very very nice surprise.
I loved when he told Taiga he'll do his best to keep the role alive so that he can become the 3rd generation Gin-san.

I enjoyed the scenes and the atmosphere between Taiga and Shiori at her house. Even the last part about the marriaga and his stupid blurrting out he wants to become Umis dad. Of course Taiga has still a lot to learn about adult relationships and I think the drama shows it in a nice fashion.

Sakura and Shiori on good terms is also a nice part of the plot. I like it that they didn't make her a mean ****!

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Feb 26th, '11, 02:13

I love Matsumoto Jun's acting and he is HOT! He is such a passionate actor and a good kisser too. But on a more serious note, this drama was so interesting and I did not have to skip scenes. It was a bit draggy at first but I am glad that I kept watching it otherwise I would have missed out on a wonderful love story. I fell in love with this drama it was so sweet, not too heavy and not too light. :cheers: