Kim Nam Gil

Discuss about your favourite Korean Actors and Actresses.
Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 2nd, '10, 19:57

You don't need to be a believer to study in Religious Studies Department or read about other religions. But if you are too critical, it can become an undoing as well.
I do my research on Japanese and Korean demons, and it doesn't mean I believe in demons. I'm just fascinaded by M. Eliade's distinction between sacrum and profanum, and the line between them. This is what I'm trying to show. I'm fascinated by hybrids, by anthropological stuff, maybe philosophy.
We're mainly from Europe, with our lovely Peggy from US.

And about the humor... you should read either our Keunsuk thread (ok, some call what we write there a hating, but it just stresses out how uneducated they are and how they are lacking in vocabulary) or our blogs. Because, in my case, I convey more poisonous humor in my post on blog than here. OK, I admit, I'm harsh on JKS and other young stars, but I don't care.
The interpretation is not over-interpretation unless proven, as U. Eco once said.

Singapore? Hmm, so we have Malaysia, Philippines (as for Asia), Europe and US^^
Nice^^ You're part of our family, with time you will feel so comfy around us. Even with us being your unni^^ :D
About your studies, it happen. I started to hate everything Japanese on my studies. And I never fully recovered.

And no, I'm not pessimist, I think all dramatization, emo subculture and "you-don't-understand-my-feelings" behavior is a total nonsense. I'm a realist.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 2nd, '10, 21:15

Good evening ladies, wow the conversation went to an interesting terrain again!

I also did religious studies but grew to dislike it so I'm trying to find a new direction for my career at the moment. Maybe it is normal for some to grow tired of their field of study and maybe sometimes the deeper you get the more you learn it is not the right thing for you to do or research about.

As for believes, I guess I wish I had some. I can't even say I am an atheist, just your average agnostic here. Somebody said if you learn a little about philosophy you become an atheist but if you learn more you'll come back to religion. For me I think I got lost somewhere inbetween.

I have done my share of thinking about categories like eternal or vain and the like and I do wonder about whether you will have to pay for certain debts or whether it's just luck against bad luck. But as there is no definite answer I believe it's everyone's choice to live according to wichever beliefs or rationales seem the most convincing for you and if there's none you'll end up a desperate nihilist.

The drama world is also my refuge and since I found this place it has become like a castle where you can comfortably hide yourself away at times. OMG I started ranting again :unsure:

Belva, stick around here and make youself at home. If you wanna see our light and our bitter sides, have a look at JGS thread. ;)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 2nd, '10, 21:54

Arakira,

I like reading what you wrote. I know where you are really because I have been there. Once was such a good Church of England person. (Well still there basically) But I read a lot of books and absorbed a lot of other philosophies etc etc. One book totally crushed all my beliefs for a long time. Put me in a spin and it took a long time to set myself back on a clear path in my own thoughts. It was not all bad however, and I can now revere many more things in life.
Nice to have a rock or two in the garden or even small ones in a bowl in the house. If you pour water over the rock it will change completely in appearance. And you did it. That's like life. What you see is not always what is there so you have to add something.

Actually Belva dear I am not from US I just live here. I am from English/Welsh/ added, and probably around 1700 had some input from Europe. I can't go back any further than that. My sweet husband would sometimes dig me and say. " I know I am a true Brit because we are from the original Mercia and you can't get much more Original local than that.' I am sure his family was indeed longlived in the same area. I have a little Heinz in me but not all 57 varieties. Just English, Welsh, Scots and Irish. It surprised me too when I did a family tree.
If we become aware of having a conscience then we pay for our sins here and now. Otherwise we may someday meet the Angel writing in the Book of Doom within the shadow of our room. I just have times when I let my conscience go to work on me.

As for present dramas. There are no dramas worth watching right now. That is why this becomes our communal couch for spilling our baskets. Or what ever. 8)

Peggy

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 3rd, '10, 09:13

Aww, then I'm sorry Peggy^^ I read somewhere you mentioned US.

I think everyone of us is an apostate.
And to be honest, I don't believe in radical atheists, and I don't like radical atheists. Because when they say it so fervently, they need God to exist so they can deny it.
The more they deny it, the more they confirm it.
I don't care if God exists or not. I had my share of experiences that if I met him, one of us wouldn't end that fight alive. So it's more comfortable thinking like this. Call it escapism, I don't really care.
I like to live as a good person, whaterver it takes. I like to help people, but I don't like to mess with their lives. That is why I like to read about antropology and religions. It's not about gods, it's about people.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 3rd, '10, 10:02

I'm not even an apostate. I grew up without beliefs and though I went searching I never managed to find out how to believe ;) but yeah in the end I don't care. All we can do is live and we might find out afterwards. Oh and Ethlenn, I'd like to see that fight, call me if you need a referee :lol

I like what you said about the stones Peg. For me it's nature that keeps me grounded and calms me when distraction like dramas don't do the trick anymore. I can't really stand people at times so I used to just go to remote places and wander around. I learned something interesting from a Japanese monk once. 花はきれい it's so very simple but it has a deep meaning for me. As long as I can agree to that small phrase I can go on living in search for a good life (sounds cheesy, doesn't it)

As for ancestry, I live pretty much in the middle of Europe so there's a lot mixed in ;) but when I researched the family tree I only found dead ends. Must be nice to be able to get to know your grand-grand-grandfathers...

belva

Post by belva » Sep 4th, '10, 19:44

"It's not about gods, it's about people."
Exactly that. I'm not actually concern about Gods too and I don't really care either. But people. And somehow wishing that there are lesser people being hurt in the name of God...

The drama world is also my refuge but I think it's becoming an addiction. I agree that there's noting really nice showing now, but I still watch them, laugh and get amaze by their silliness (*cough playful *cough kiss). Maybe I should just get back to reading self improvement books instead...

Wow Peggy, I'm amaze by how you are able to draw your family tree back to 1700!

And arakira, may I know what does 花はきれい means? :)
Talking about Japan I'll be travelling there for a week's holiday from the 8th, and will be MIA in that period of time. Gonna miss you all!

Ahh.. JKS thread. I actually had a great time laughing at what you wrote over at your blog, Ethlenn. Will pop by the thread here soon! I actually like how you all speak your mind so freely with little restrain. I'm neutral towards him but I've followed his thread over at soompi once and realize how much fan service this guy does and I think that's one reason why he's got so many fans.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I feel like I'm already learning stuff from this thread and that is such a pleasure. I'm more than glad to have such great unnis! :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 4th, '10, 19:54

花はきれい means the flower is pretty.

And I hope you will stay as long as you can with us.
As you can see, we are not afraid to speak up our minds.

About JKS thread. We were mentioned on soompi, we were mentioned on main Korean websites (really) as:
1. haters
2. reason
Choose whatever you want. We were labelled as "Westerners" that don't understand Asia. And to me, it is a personal insult. Nevermind.

But if we don't like something, we don't hide it, we don't repeat after thousands the same phrase. We ancourage everyone to do so. That is why apart from one posters that registered here only to insult us, there are few people that now are our family there, and off-D-A.
I'm trying to be as soft and gentle as possible on my blog, but sometimes my venomous nature just takes over and I can't restraint myself any longer.
I praise what deserves to be praised, but I slant what needs to be slanted without mercy. Even QSD which I love, I found tons of nonsense in it, and I wrote of some.

You will be missed, dear^^ I hope when you're back, we can talk some more. :mrgreen:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 4th, '10, 23:42

Past items are so interesting. Moreso than present I think. My 4xgreat grandfather has his portrait hanging in the National Gallery in London, done by another famous artist of the time. GF was also an artist and did miniatures on ivory. Among interesting sitters, he did one of Captain Bligh. Very handsome gentleman. You know, the one on the 'Bounty'.

Lots of truly fascinating stuff about him. I have a lithograph of this painting and he was a handsome man.

I wonder what they would make of our adherence to Korean and Japanese dramas and the Internet.

Peg

janajee

Post by janajee » Sep 5th, '10, 00:44

And now I make a formal entry into the thread about the MAN my Ate Ethlenn has loved! KIM NAM GIL FTW!

Hahahahah :)

Ah religious studies. I'm actually studying in a Bible College, and growing up in Brunei, I've also been exposed to at least 3 other main religions: Islam, Bhuddism and Hinduism. But because of some certain events in my life
My family and I got burnt to a crisp - heheheh exaggeration - I was 7 and my brother was 4
I became pretty much an atheist for most of my life... until I started studying, and studying, and now I'm still studying, and I've pretty come back around. I think Ate Arakira was right in what she said somewhere... you study philosophy at first, you became atheist... then agnostic... and then you come back to religion. I've pretty much made the full circle I think.

Though... I really hate referring to my faith as religion... because it reminds me of rituals and ceremonies... and though I have nothing against that... How do I say this... Maybe, what I've found in my faith is a relationship with God. Someone I know I can trust and love, who will also love me. That even if the whole world abandoned me, He won't. So yeah...

ATE ETHLENN; Man, I want to see that thread where they mention out JKS thread. By the way our JKS thread has become my home in DA. Hahahaha we not only talk about one of my favorite men (even though he isn't being one these past months), I get to learn a lot of things, meet a lot of people, and learn a lot of news too.

Gotta check out that thread at soompi.

And now my parting words:

KIM NAM GIL is awesome :)

Edited:
I tried looking at soompi thread of JKS, and it was soooo hard. After a 50 pages, and still not finding anything... I got way way waaaaay lazy.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 5th, '10, 01:53

Kim Nam Gil is our refuge when all else fails.
I don't know what is happening to some of the erstwhile heroes. They do strange things with their bodies and clothing. Yhey deceive the ladies they have promised to marry. They dump them with a text message. that is so low.

Then we see a picture of Nam Gil in military uniform....something there is about a man in uniform. I personally debated until I saw my own true love in civvies before I advanced the situation. He looked good any way and I do mean that.
Incidentally queston....what do you do with a military uniform. You can't give it away. You can't burn it and you certainly can't sell it. I really don't know what to do here.I am looking forward now to seeing what Nam Gil will be doing in the ensuing months. They won't let him be hidden I am sure.

Altho wasn't it Jung Jae who went out of sight into tthe Dog Unit and was never seen until he was demobbed.? I believe his father urged him to be a real soldier.

It's hot here. I can't think straight. Odd thoughts keep arriving so bear with me.

Peg
Last edited by Peggy on Sep 6th, '10, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 5th, '10, 02:06

janajee.

I don't think that faith is religion. Religion is an idea full of ritual as you mentioned and people who want to hold you in their own power. They keep telling you what you must think and what you must believe and very often they don't believe themselves. It is wicked manipulation.

Faith on the other hand is very personal and something each person finds out for themselves. It takes time and lots of experiences in living to form a strong personal faith.

I think I have to have faith in myself first and then I can sort out what other faith I can have in the abilities of others. It' always a journey and altho I love the old churches in England and they resonate with spiritual feelings from thousands of years,it is the people who put the sense of faith in the stones.
I do have faith that we shall see more of Kim Nam Gil before he has finished his time in the military.
Peg :salut:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 5th, '10, 09:30

Oh, Jana, glad to have you here, love^^
About us being mentioned: it was in July, in the peak of our venom production, so I can't really find it, because I paid little attention to it. But as you probably noticed, soompi is a strange place where actors threads are created only for praising, not a normal, reasonable criticism. That is why I do not attend soompi often, after my bickering road with them. The same goes for DCGall, since it's a place for Korean fans, and JKS has almost 17 thousands of pages, it's impossible to find anything. But lately a beacon of reason appeared also on DCGall, but it was soon damped. Because there is one rule in writing about JKS: "You can write anything. Under one condition - it has to be KYAAAA".

Half of my mother's family was made of soldiers, I was exposed to the pictures of my uncles in uniforms, I was told many, many wonderful and morbid stories from WWI and WWII. I even enrolled in the Military Academy twice, once before my studies, and the second time - after. But... anyway, I'm not a soldier. That is why I have really weak spot for uniforms. There is something alluring in it.

About the faith: I said the same thing at JKS thread as Peggy: we can't mistake religion for faith. Because religion is the institution, like bank. And faith is very personal. I don't have faith in anything, but I am not a blind critic that hates everything what is out of one's own possibility to grasp. Many people slant religions, faith, rituals, beliefs in fear. Yes, in fear of something unknown. It's understandable. It's the basic of people's nature.
That is why many things that are beyond our understanding are casted out of the border into the world of taboo and profanum. Things like death, blood, pain, weather. Things like different skin color, sexual preferences. Those things are not understandable on a daily basic like eating.
The more we are exposed to something, the more we acknowledge it. But if we start to look at it from behind the veil of bias, this veil will be glued to our eyes forever.

Yes... KNG thread... :heart:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 5th, '10, 10:53

belva, sorry dunno why i didn't write it in english-maybe because it sounds very cheesy. Hehe but it is my safety anchor in life ;) Have fun travelling, we'll miss you.

Jana, nice to see you here! Yeah, I also just don't do soompi. i did get an account there but never used it ;) couldn't bother posting something in threads where serious questions were ignored or bashed and only kyaa's prevailed...

Me too grew up with stories from the world wars ofc but our country got pacified to such an extend it used to be very rare to see uniforms and they did their very best to make them look ugly. Haha if you ever looked at a German police uniform you'll know what I am talking about. But generally I do love to see men in uniforms- because they tend to straighten out their postures and they look dignified and well let's just say uniforms enhance their manliness, if there is any to begin with :P

And about faith. I think discriminating against faith or ridiculing peoples beliefs is the worst. If manhood could get rid of religions (institutions) it would be a blessing but if we got rid of faiths we'd get rid of humanity. For without faith in anything there's no morale and no priniples, just anarchy. Even if we don't understand each others beliefs we can only accept them and try to shed our veils of bias, prejudice and fear. I also don't have faith in anything supernatural but i do have faith in a common concepts of 'good' and 'bad' and in human society in general

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 5th, '10, 11:21

Exactly, because the concepts of "right" and "wrong" are basically common to the whole humanity. Of course, a certain historical circumstances, or maybe even more - geography, change it a bit.
Like: in Europe, the most treasured idea was freedom of the beeing. The individual human being. This is the heritage of the ancient Greek thought. But in Asia: there is a collective that prevails. You ever wondered why?
In Japanese there is no words describing individual traits like self-esteem. Funny, ne? Korea had slightly different path, so Koreans are more Europe-like in this matter.
Europe had Greek philosophers, Asia had Confucius.

As Arakira said: life without faith in some principles is just an anarchy. I believe in freedom. I embrace freedom, but I also limit my freedom. Because freedom needs to have its sphere. Exaggeration of it also leads to the anarchy.

Plus, Ara: have a nice day, dear^^

janajee

Post by janajee » Sep 5th, '10, 16:19

And the Philippines had some Spanish dude beat us with a stick for 300 years.

I don't know much about Philippine History but I do know that we've experience our own fair share of wars... from the Spanish, to the Japanese in WW2. My grandpa, who was alive then, is still alive now. And he still has a tatoo to prove it though. He used to tell me all kinds of stories... but now he's so old and going deaf and blind... he and I can't talk anymore... Kinda miss him.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 5th, '10, 16:26

Japanese did terrible things in South-East Asia. Horryfying things. I guess every nation not lucky enough has one's own share of tragedy.
Koreans say about their own country that it is a shrimp between two whales. And it's tru, they had and still have very bad geographical location.
Like few Middle-European countries.

janajee

Post by janajee » Sep 5th, '10, 16:39

Yep they did, as I remembered the stories my grandpa would always tell me. My favorite story however was the Yamashita gold... which I don't know if it's real or not... but he always used to tell me about how the Japanese hid all the gold they stole and kept it in some island here in the Philippines... and how it's never been found till today... Hahahahaha. Would be awesome if it were true... there were always some weird legend on how it was actually a bhudda statue that kept it from being found and stuff...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 5th, '10, 16:49

Yeah, and King Salomon's mines, and Kingdom of St. John, and Shangri-La... many, many mythological places to go and risk your life to just find a handful of spiderwebs and mocking echo inside the caves...
Aigoo...
But Japanese did plundered many temples, I only see no sense in string the gold in one place and not to transport it to Japan back then.

janajee

Post by janajee » Sep 5th, '10, 16:53

Gramps said it was because they couldn't take it as the Americans were coming for them. So they had to leave it somewhere... but now everyone's dead that they can't find it anymore. They even had a movie of it. Some people are still searching for it... we call them jokingly as treasure hunters...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 5th, '10, 17:11

Yeah, in the 90's there were still Japanese soldiers on tiny islands on the Pacific, who didn't know that WWII ended. Poor. lost souls of the monsters...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 9th, '10, 10:11

Posted something for watching and/or downloading:
KNG - AD HOC making of.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 13th, '10, 14:39

2010.09.10 KNG was at the ceremony in Seoul Government House (or something).
He was awarded for promoting Korean Culture, and as a volunteer for the sociality.
I'm in a search for some more news.
So far, 2 pics

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 13th, '10, 16:01

Thanks for those! He looks fantastic in those pics :D
Did he get an award from the major of seoul? Way to go Namgilnim, once again we can only feel proud about you ;)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 13th, '10, 19:28

Yup, he got an award, along with some others^^. Again (and I'm boring, yeah), a man we can truly, fully admire!

I am so happey for him!!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 15th, '10, 19:45

OK, just don't laugh too much.
The video is in the same kind that the one Peggy posted with JJH. But! This is a fanmade love story between KNG and KJW... video is well done... And starting from Namgil-nim's words "I missed you...".

I put it in this post.

I'm on my way to upload the video from August, the military one^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 15th, '10, 20:21

OK. I watched. and I felt and moreover I commented. I do not ever see the comments I have written for you. I don't know why but I don't want you to think I don't read and have thoughts about your writing.

That is one great video. Definitely makes me feel a real 35...and that takes some doing these days.
I am thankful for those two guys. Most satisfactory...sitting back and ruminating.
Just missing one..my own true love.
Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 15th, '10, 20:25

Oh, Peggy, I do not think I can comfort you in any way. I can just shift your thoughts to some other lands for a short time...

I feel your presence over me, so do not be sad over some comments.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 15th, '10, 20:54

My Dear,

Rarely sad. Too old to waste minutes for that. Just take minute by minute. Do not really have many mournful seconds nowadays. Just get on with it and Never Never Give up. Good enough for Mr. Churchill, and certainly good enough for me.

I thinlk the absence of comment must be from my end. My PC has been doing odd things for some time. Also my printer is ignoring me totally. It's new almost and I don't use it often enough. Will have to get my clever PC man.

Peg.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 15th, '10, 21:03

Hm, I would like to be that strong. I still cry when no one is looking.

I will post some more videos of Namgil-nim during his charity work.
Plus, I like the way he behaves around kids, it's a genuine joy.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 15th, '10, 21:22

Well I really have no more tears. However, I do get such an ache in my throat with Kim Nam Gil at times. He really makes the break through the screen and into my senses. I think it must be the eyes alone. Words are not always effective without the expression, and he has those eyes.

I saw a clip recently of him running along, and I was struck with his thinness. I do hope that he will be able to strengthen up with the military schedule and regular routine and rest.

By the way..it is almost impossible to cry if you are looking at yourself in the mirror.

I used to follow Eleanor Roosevelt's idea. She had so much to make her weep at one time and she said she would go into the bathroom and turn on all the faucets and cry, but look at herself in the mirror. she found it impossible to keep on crying. It works.

Now I don't need that and I am not keen to see myself in the mirror crying or laughing... :roll

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 15th, '10, 21:46

It's true, it's impossible to cry when looking at yourself in the mirror. But still, you can hate yourself when looking in the mirror.

And I think I need to get it off me...

Lately I've been working again on my translations, and I found interesting quote. I have no idea why I wrote it over 5 years ago while preparing for my disses, but when I think of it now, it has slightly different meaning.
There are so many things that we find useless in one moment, but meaningful in the other. There are some people that we admire, but after some time the charm fades and we are left with nothing more than just a handful of cinder. And there are people who seemed to be disposable long time ago, and now they seem to be our air. Things change, people's hearts change, and nothing stays the same. I'm not sure what the words "I'll love you forever" means, for me, if someone says "I will love you at least for a year", that would be ok. Because "forever" is such elusive, vague term. The meaning can change as well with time. The quote I was saying is from Ion, a play by Euripides:

CREUSA
To him while yet an infant Pallas gave-

TUTOR
What? Thy slow preface raises expectation.

CREUSA
Two drops of blood that from the Gorgon fell.

TUTOR
And on the human frame what power have these?

CREUSA
The one works death, the other heals disease.

TUTOR
In what around the infant's body hung?

CREUSA
Enclosed in gold: he gave them to my father.

TUTOR
At his decease then they devolved to thee?

CREUSA
Ay, and I wear it as a bracelet; look.

TUTOR
Their double qualities how temper'd, say.

CREUSA
This drop, which from her hollow vein distill'd,-

TUTOR
To what effect applied? What is its power?

CREUSA
Medicinal, of sovereign use to life.

TUTOR
The other drop, what faculties hath that?

CREUSA
It kills, the poison of the Gorgon dragons.

TUTOR
And dost thou bear this gore blended in one?

CREUSA
No, separate; for with ill good mixes not.

It's been haunting me ever since I read it. it was after reading it, I realised the duality of everything, and calmed myself a bit. Because what some sees as the misfortune, the other may take as a happy event.
And I'm not talking here about the duality of the facts, it's more the nature of the things.
Two drops of Gorgon blood. It's the same blood after all. So why the one kills and the other heals?

There is something not only in Namgil-nim's eyes, but in his whole presence. He looks like if he came from a different space, he lives in a different space, and he will return to it with time.
And his voice is like a humming of the trees of that land and space beyond our.

Yes, I'm sober, forgive me for my long rant. I'm just in this mood lately. Bon'yari shita fuan...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 16th, '10, 01:01

Nothing to forgive. It's all talking with time which changes as the world moves around. Everything has a duality I think. After all one drop of blood falls seconds after the first one. In that second a million stars have been born and died. A million million neutrinos have bombarded us and that drop of blood has already changed before the second one falls.

That's my conviction about life. You can't go back because it's already gone even if you remember for a thousand years. As a human I have this minute and I can't spend too much time wondering what the next day is going to be like.

Two drops of blood with opposite possibilities are what we are given with which to live or die. We make the choice.
What makes a man fly into vicious anti aircraft fire night after night. There was always an easier choice, still with honour. And coming home the enemy got onto your radio beam and said.."We'll get you next time Brad' The same first drop of blood was still used every night. The second drop fell elsewhere.

Once you choose the path you usually stick with it and you will end up satisfied.

It just takes time. It's a long local train wih lots of stops.

There's nothing sensible here.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 16th, '10, 01:04

You are right about Nam Gil. There is something quite rare about him. I am not talking about looks.. and they are so fascinating that it can put you off and you could miss the substance. He has an old soul.

That's it.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 16th, '10, 10:27

Yes, we can't go back to amend some mistakes, but no matter how hard we try to forget them, we can't do it either.
It's all about the choices.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 16th, '10, 17:46

Agreed. Sometimes it is stomach churning time but it passes .....til the next time.

Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 16th, '10, 20:12

Na... na himdeulge (나 힘들게)... eh...
Last video in this post
If someone misses Bidam, Mishil and the whole funny crew (OK, bad joke), I cut 5th Seoul Drama Awards, I messed up the title at the beginning, but in case someone wants to listen to some nice man singing and see our dearly missed Namgil-nim in the video-cuts^^

Back to my cave again... translating...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 16th, '10, 21:41

Have to tell you about my most favourite Korean voice singing ballads and jazz and blues.
His name is JK Kim Dong Uk and he is Canadian/Korean trained in Uni in Canada for music and is wonderful artist. Created a sensation when he went back to Korea a few years ago. He does albums and also a lot of OST music for dramas and films.

http://www.last.fm/music/Jk/+videos/+1-f7ftfly0Q6g

Do hope this works.
Peg

Edit. Well it only shows the one song I want you to hear. All is not lost. It's the photo of the actress who played in the drama called MAN IN CRISIS. this was a few years ago but it would be worth finding. It was one that blew me away when I saw it. Very dramatic and the music is perfect for the drama.
Wonder if it is on one of the online places.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 16th, '10, 21:55

Peggy!!
I thought you were joking, do you reckognize the music??
Do you remember the dancing scene in No Regret? It was this music...
I love you, sunbaenim!! :wub:
I... just... love you!

And I'm off to search for this talented man you mentioned to download!
Now a sleepless night ahead of me^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 16th, '10, 22:30

8)

I do sometimes manage to hit the right nail on the head
I was so afraid I had mixed it up in the d/l and sending to you.I am not the brightestletter on the keyboard.

You see how Nam Gil holds on to us.

Peg

The lover man in Man in Crisis is Shin Sung Woo and he was a slight heartthrob at the time.
Lovely man very talented. Actor ...sculptor...artist etc.

I can't find anyplace wth this drama to d/l but I'd like to see it again. It's around 2002 I think.
I was thrilled to find the music. I have two or three of JKs albums but this song was not on them.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 16th, '10, 22:56

I found all of his albums, when I manage to download them, I will send you the links^^
And I will look around for the drama for you.
Or actually if you want to start another account on asianload, they have tons, tons of music.

KNG is always hovering. I don't think we can escape any time soon... Damn, he's even on my playlist, hehe, though he's not a singer.
But that was... I'm still in shock...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 17th, '10, 01:35

Last night I watched a re=run of the interview show called 'Golden Fishery'. It has that ex wrestler/ now comedian and host in charge. I just don't know his name at all. Anyway the guest was Nam Gil. He looked marvellous of course and it was done the day before he went into the military. They kept him busy up to the end. It was a programme where they were all enjoying lots of laughs and Nam Gil provided his humour and they were howling with laughter at him or with him. He also, at request, sang a song. He surprised me with the easy rendition of a ballad and it was rather a warm moment for the three guys on the 'panel'. I think they were impressed. He just does things so easily.
In that way he does remind me of Takuya Kimura. He can also accept a challenge or request and perform whatever is asked of him.. at the drop of a hat. They just have the ability to do things that you would not imagine they would know.

It's very rewarding knowing of people like that.

Peg
Last edited by Peggy on Sep 17th, '10, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 17th, '10, 10:40

It was so stressful for him, at first he didn't want to sing at all.
I like "Goldfish" show. They can sometimes pin the celebrity down and make him/her confess to something, but in overall a funny show.

But Namgil-nim was stressed while singing this. Still, he's professional, so he did it. And true, the rest of the guys were silent for a bit. But I also noticed how they treated him. Totally different than regular "idols", with more respect.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 17th, '10, 20:36

Found this. You probably already have these videos but just in case there is one new to you...

It should still be there.

Yes I saw the hesitation but there was no backing out or refusal to sing. that's a professional for you. With all the stuff in the immediate past days and then getting straight into the military. He is quite a guy with backbone.

belva

Post by belva » Sep 19th, '10, 10:11

Hi all! I'm back from my vacation.
So glad to hear the good news that KNG received an award for his volunteer work! I'm so proud of him. That is my man :D

Also I've managed to rip a copy of the official vid for his 3rd fan meeting that was posted in his official site, 47mins worth! Do let me know if you ladies want the links, or just drop me your YouTube ID and I can add you in the list for the private videos. (They are paid content and I don't think it will be nice to make it public >.<)
He sang a lot in them and his voice is so mesmerizing! I hope we get to hear more of his singing in future. :)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 19th, '10, 10:21

Hi, glad you're back. Hope your trip was nice and safe.

But I'm not that much fan of his voice though. It's nice, but I heard better ones. His third official FM was around spring or something? Or are you talking avout those in the past?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 19th, '10, 19:59

Ethlenn.
somewhere you gave me some links for JK. However they do not work for me. Cannot access. Not to worry ...I have him on disc in his albums. thanks anyway.
Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 19th, '10, 20:22

I can put it up on different site, if you want^^

:mrgreen:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 19th, '10, 23:32

I think it's to do with the rar cuts. Never can play them ..but this time I think it was the site.

If you have time maybe.. :-)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 19th, '10, 23:41

OK, so I will upload song after song, not the whole album in a rar or zip, OK?

But it's almost 2 am, and I have tomorrow my dumb students with their last term of exam... Aigoo...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 20th, '10, 00:21

No, actually, I need to state something: Namgil-nim, I'm really sorry that you have tons of abnormal fans.
If those are the criteria of a fan, then, I'm sorry, I'm not one of them. I just admire you. Silently (sometimes), wish you all the health and the best, praise when you deserve to be praised and criticize when you need to be.
If that means I'm a hater, good, I've been doing that for the last 4 years.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 20th, '10, 00:27

... cheeks... :wub:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 20th, '10, 00:31

Especially for you, love^^

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 20th, '10, 00:33

Those look damn perfect... We need to strip him and Ji Hwan and know for sure.
Let's just get them to do some fan meetings in Seoul. Let's gather all the crazy fans there.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 20th, '10, 00:35

I need to remind you, that I saw everything what he has to show. Maybe not Ewan McGregor-style, but the cheeks... well, he showed them as often as he could. Brave boy. In Korea, hehe...

With those crazy fans we will get nothing. They will punch us and all we'll see is the floor.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 20th, '10, 00:37

You saw the cheeks? Dang. Which movie? I'll get it just to find the cheeks. They're too nice to not see.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 20th, '10, 00:39

Aww, love, it was: No Regret, Miindo, Handphone (that phone camera porn movie, hehe)...
As I said, he is a very, very brave actor.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 20th, '10, 00:41

Phone camera porn movie? He's been in porn??!! :alcoholic: Dang. Lol. Ok, will find one of those and look for that scene/those scenes.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 20th, '10, 00:44

Well... not exactly. It was an amateur sex video with some aspiring actress. He then blackmailed the agent of this actress with it. It's not that clear in picture though.
Heh...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 20th, '10, 00:45

Oh, so the porn movie was IN the movie. The movie wasn't porn. Lol.

You should have said that before my dirty mind got to him...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 20th, '10, 00:47

Sorry, it was just a mind-shortcut... Bad idea, shortcuts are not working with KNG-nim :P

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 20th, '10, 18:35

In case anyone wants AD HOC video (yes, new AD HOC): right here
And since hotlinking apparently killed my account where I uploaded videos, no download, if anyone wants, I will put it up here, not on the blog.
Grrr.... Why lately everything started to screw up??

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 20th, '10, 19:43

Ethlenn,
that ticket sounded a fierce encounter. Lots of vaseline my dear. Yes things are going wrong all over. My PC hates me this week...or more. I think it might have something to do with activity on the sun. Seriously. they wrote about tremendous storms lately and it is playing merry hell with communications.

It's not you. It's not us. The sun is playing tricks.

Ethlenn.
Please don't go to any trouble re the d.l of JK. Just if you have the special one used in NR. then I can have it on hard drive and play for background when I feel the need.

I do have two of his albums. Just have not found them recently. For reasons you don't want to hear I have about three hundred or so DVDs and CDs..98% Asian..and they were well arranged until painters in the house moved bookcases. Need I say more.
Nothing is in order now. But it's like a treasure box looking for stuff.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 20th, '10, 19:51

CDs??? Hundreds?? With Korean music too?? If you by any chance have something of a lady named Lee Ann, I would give my small toe gladly for it^^
Or I can build you a shelter, I have the experience, really^^

Yes, my lips are hurting till now, I have some balm so I applied.

But do you have his 1st album with that song? If not, I can put it up as I said, no problem, my dear! :salut:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 20th, '10, 23:21

Mostly DVDs and only two or three western films.Western ones sent by people who have not seen me for centuries. The CDs are mostly Asian. I am not sure but I think I may have started with early Ahn Jae Wook. Last ones I got were by Alex. For some reason I fell for him because of his lyrics. He is definitely a romantic. I do have JK first album and maybe his second. It could be his third.
I found a nice set by Lee Hyun Woo when I was looking for JK. He really does well by upbeat rhythm. It surprises me to see his wooden acting. This was in 2004 and there was a lovely hardcover diary with it. Have not used it. Forgot it really. too much life going on.Things got a bit frantic. Fine rendition of 'Last Christmas' in perfect English.
I discovered I had five copies of '2046' they are all different with subs and no subs etc etc. I was not really thrilled with what Wong Kar Wai did with the Kimura role.Of course I wanted more of him. However the choice of music throughout is really wonderful.
I know I have drama 'Hotelier' more than once. It was the first eye opener with Bae Jung Joon. The role was perfect for him and we all fell for him. I came to think he was a one trick pony as far as acting is concerned. He is a great business man and knows how to make millions without acting now.It was a romantic role but I think he is not really into women. My opinion only.
I do not know Lee Ann unless she was doing OST. (Maybe Womack?)

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/l/lee_ ... dance.html
You may have to click off the first advert. that pops upbut then it goes to the page you will want.
Getting too wordy here. Later. :cheers: Peg

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 20th, '10, 23:36

Hmm, saying that about Bae Jung Joon, may bring upon you the rage of all ahjummas both in Korea and Japan... Somehow I was never into his acting or anything else, I tried to watch Kingdoms-something, but... I liked only the twst about the tigress and the bear, they had bear tribe and tigre tribe. That was awesome in my opinion.

No, Lee Ann, I'm really dying for some songs traditionally Korean, but not the Arirang (alwys Arirang), and not pansori.
So if you have JK's first album, the song is nr 2 on it^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 21st, '10, 01:56

Well I will do a search for Lee Ann.

Remiinded me of Mildred Bailey...long ago blues singer. Used to sing one song that I loved.

This is my first affiar
So please be kind
Handle my heart with care
Oh please be kind
This is all so grand
My dreams are on parade
If you just understand
They'll never never fade
Tell me your love's sincere
Oh please be kind
Tell me I' ll never fear
Oh Please..Be Kind
For if I ever lose you dear
My heart will lose it's mind Please believe me...Please be kind.

Now that is making me antedeluvian but I don't care. Some things are for ever.
Last edited by Peggy on Sep 21st, '10, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 21st, '10, 10:48

I know this song in Mildred Bailey version:
So, so, sooo beautiful
Did she changed her name to Milred Lee? I'm not that specialist, I just hear a random song and I either love it or I'm indifferent.

But the sound of 20's and 30's is just perfect. Maybe that is why I like musicals so much.
But I guess my favorite of her is:
More than you know
Whether you are here or yonder
Whether you are false or true
Whether you remain or wander
I'm growing fonder of you

Even though your friends forsake you
Even though you don't succeed
Wouldn't I be glad to take you
And give you the break you need

More than you know, more than you know
Man of my heart I love you so
Lately I find you're on my mind
More than you know

Whether you're right, whether you're wrong
Man of my heart, I'll string along
I need you so
More than you'll ever know

Loving you the way that I do
There's nothing I can do about it
Loving may be all you can give
But, honey, I can't live without it

Oh, how I'd cry, oh how I'd cry
If you got tired and said Goodbye
More than I'd show

Peggy, so we are altogether antedeluvian...

gensigayo

Post by gensigayo » Sep 21st, '10, 13:01

hi ethlenn...i just wanna ask do you know where can i download torrent LOVERS VANISHED of kim nam gil??i started to be gaga over him since i watched seon deok..i already finished the bady and i am going to watch portrait of a beauty. Im looking for lovers vanished..have you watch it already? was it good? i just feel sad that he will be away from limelight for 2 years :-((

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 21st, '10, 13:15

Hi.
If this won't work, let me know, the link is at the bottom of the post
On my blog I also wrote the review of Lovers Vanished, so if you trust me, read it and decide.

He was never in the limelight in the first place, never until QSD ruined his status. Eh...

gensigayo

Post by gensigayo » Sep 21st, '10, 13:27

thanks a lot ethlenn!!!:-)))) is there a twitter account for kim nam gil??i saw it but i dont think its real??:-))

gensigayo

Post by gensigayo » Sep 21st, '10, 13:33

whoooaaa...thank you ethleen for the torrent..nice blog!!! so many pics of KIM NAM GIL...I love it:-)))

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 21st, '10, 13:35

As far as I know, he doesn't have an account. Those who exist are either fan-made or agency.
The only personal page he has and maintains (lazy bastard!) is his cyworld minihompy^^

And trust me, if I had to put all my pics and videos of this gentleman, internet would suffocate and went dead. So I play nice and post from time to time few of them...
If I find time, I will write reviews of all of his works... (not that much, lazy bastard!)

Damn, science calls...

BTW. anyone knows a good source with the names of ALL buildings in Daidairi? Seriously, I need it...

gensigayo

Post by gensigayo » Sep 21st, '10, 13:57

sorry ethlenn...i dont know...i want to help but im sorry:-((

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 21st, '10, 14:05

Nah, don't worry, dear, I will figure it out somehow...I managed to get that freaking rank system in Heian, I will do that too... But it halts my work for 2 days already... grrrr!!

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 21st, '10, 14:46

Daidari?! Something like this?