Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 28th, '10, 20:31

Nah, BOF is a really bad drama. HYD rules!^^

piousm

Post by piousm » Aug 28th, '10, 20:36

Viande, Yama Onna Kabe Onna is really funny. Proposal Daisakusen (sp?) is too. Also Maison Ikkoku, and One Pound Gospel, Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi , and for something a little older but brilliant, Il Hito. I also agree with the suggestions above, esp Hotaru.

howtwosavealif3

Post by howtwosavealif3 » Aug 29th, '10, 03:40

I recommend GYNE for anyone who wants to watch a well-done drama/well-done medical drama. Of course I don't think it's better than JIN. I really just hate the way most j-dramas are... being cliche and they have this "cheap" feeling ( with the shoddy/old-style camera work or problems with backgorund music or the writing /etc). Those kind of dramas are just embarrassing to watch PERSONALLY. however, this drama is wELL-DONE, in other words it doesn't have any of those problems or all that is kept to a minimum. It was really entertaining to watch and the story-line is interesting.... especially that "arc".

so out of that season
#1 JIN
#2 GYNE
the rest are boring, to me.

ex of those dramas that I just can't take are: densha otoko, proposal daisakusen, HYD (Liked some parts, hated some parts), 1 litter of tears, 14 sai, maou, tantei gakuen, gokusen
just for anyone to gauge...

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Aug 29th, '10, 08:01

piousm wrote:Viande, Yama Onna Kabe Onna is really funny. Proposal Daisakusen (sp?) is too..
Proposal Daisakusen was a drama. The SP took place after one year of the story.

Viande

Post by Viande » Aug 29th, '10, 10:06

piousm wrote:Viande, Yama Onna Kabe Onna is really funny. Proposal Daisakusen (sp?) is too. Also Maison Ikkoku, and One Pound Gospel, Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi , and for something a little older but brilliant, Il Hito. I also agree with the suggestions above, esp Hotaru.
Thank you, will check Yama Onna Kabe Onna. I actually have Ii Hito in my harddisk but once again forgot it's existence. ^^'

piousm

Post by piousm » Aug 29th, '10, 20:11

MisS Lonliah wrote:
piousm wrote:Viande, Yama Onna Kabe Onna is really funny. Proposal Daisakusen (sp?) is too..
Actually that was my way of saying I didnt know whether I got the spelling right. You are right though, there was a special, though I didnt like it as much as the show.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Aug 30th, '10, 19:23

piousm wrote:
MisS Lonliah wrote:
Actually that was my way of saying I didnt know whether I got the spelling right. You are right though, there was a special, though I didnt like it as much as the show.
ahaaa xD .. well your spelling was right.. hmm I liked the SP because it somehow brought an end to the story.

piousm

Post by piousm » Aug 30th, '10, 20:11

Yeah, that's right, and even average Proposal Daisakusen is better than none at all. I just thought that the series was really good and the special a little flat, but they always tend to be a little strange when they are set out of Japan, like a Brady Bunch special if you are old enough to know what I'm talking about.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Aug 30th, '10, 20:28

I wasn't born back then xD but I see what you mean by flat! I agree, but it had a few good scenes here and there.

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Aug 30th, '10, 23:39

Even though it was cute, I didn't like ProDai because it was going around in circles and quite repetitive so I skipped a whole lot but I was glad for the special because it gave us an ending.

tatanka

Post by tatanka » Sep 2nd, '10, 21:22

I am looking for some dramas like "last friends" and "sunao ni narenakute"
any recommendations?

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Sep 3rd, '10, 16:27

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko is one of my favorite Jdoramas. It has Abe Hiroshi, Natsukawa Yui (whom I didnt know much about but complemented Abe Hiroshi excelently) and for my pleasure; it didnt have any "villain" type characters. No one purposely go out of their way to "be bad". It was very refreshing and to this day apart from Lunch no Joou it is still one of the very few dramas that I watched more than once.

My last re-watch left me wanting tho and so I am here asking for your help.

I am looking for dramas that has a feel-good vibe like kekkon dekinai otoko.

Thanks in advance

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 3rd, '10, 18:55

kirtil, lunch no joou is one of my favourite drama, too. I also liked KDO, but not as much.

As for 'feel good drama' I can think of the following atm but I'm too lazy to give summaries so please look them up at drama-wiki:

Ando Natsu (Konkatsu! goes in a similar direction, I thought it was ok but many people found it boring)
Manhattan Love Story
Summer Snow
Satorare
Dare Yori mo Mama wo Aisu
Pride
Katagoshi no Koibito
Slow Dance
Beach Boys
Engine
Brother Beat

currently airing Natsu no Koi wa Niijiro ni Kagayaku is a real feel good drama this far, too.

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Sep 3rd, '10, 19:37

Thank you for your suggestions arakira.

Ando Natsu - I have no problem with slow paced dramas and will check this out.
Manhattan Love Story - I watched this very little but this seemed more comedy than feel good type. very interesting drama tho. will definitely finish sometime.
Summer Snow - will check out
Satorare - watched. was very fun (not villainless tho)
Dare Yori mo Mama wo Aisu - watched. was fun
Pride - started watching but never finished.
Slow Dance - will check out
Beach Boys - watched. was very fun
Engine - watched.
Brother Beat - will check out.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Sep 4th, '10, 17:09

kirtil wrote:Thank you for your suggestions arakira.

Ando Natsu - I have no problem with slow paced dramas and will check this out.
Manhattan Love Story - I watched this very little but this seemed more comedy than feel good type. very interesting drama tho. will definitely finish sometime.
Summer Snow - will check out
Satorare - watched. was very fun (not villainless tho)
Dare Yori mo Mama wo Aisu - watched. was fun
Pride - started watching but never finished.
Slow Dance - will check out
Beach Boys - watched. was very fun
Engine - watched.
Brother Beat - will check out.
Have you ever tried Long Vacation? I think it would match what you're looking for extremely well. It's one that I still rewatch!

Last Christmas - also feel good, no villians, moves you.

Ashita no Kita Yoshio is a very hard drama to define... kinda a feel-good human drama with elements of mystery, comedy, psychological thriller, romance... The characters are all shades of grey (every single one has a villainous/dark side), but they're multi-faceted, nuanced, very human characters who make you feel engaged in their stories. (They're not like the flat "rival/villain" character who does nothing but create trouble for the hero.) It revolves around themes of friendship, change, and hope.... I'd suggest giving that one a try as well.

Utahime has lots of feel good, no villians, great story.

Kimi wa Petto (Fukushima's a villain type, but the show's still feel good.)

Tiger and Dragon

Love Shuffle

Koi ga Shitai

Definitely finish Manhattan Love Story. It's a comedy, but it really makes you feel good too as the characters continue to bond.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Sep 5th, '10, 21:19

kirtil wrote:I am looking for dramas that has a feel-good vibe like kekkon dekinai otoko.
Would also suggest
Muri na Renai
Medaka
Dr. Koto's Clinic
Enka no Joou
Hanayome wa Yakudoshi

and just because quirky mysteries are always fun and feel-good in my book:
Trick and Jikou Keisatsu

aatm

Post by aatm » Sep 6th, '10, 05:55

any recommendations for me? haven't watched a "good" drama in a while. HYD got me into dramas, but I think I've grown out of the "over the top" genre. Last one I managed to get through was Hanazakai no Kimitachi e, but after that....tried watching Atashinchi no Danshi, but just couldn't finish it...and same with Nodame Cantabile...eh. (sorry, I know a lot of people like that one too). I have Koizora, but haven't watched it yet. Started watching "Shinzanmono" but wasn't convinced by the first episode, even though I like Abe HIroshi. I don't mind YamaPi, and like stuff with Kimura Takuya, but not really the other SMAP guys. I like

Some of my favorites...if this helps hone in on a recommendation...:

- Slow Dance
- Proposal Daisakusen
- Change
- Mr. Brain
- Maou
- Akai Ito
- Galileo

Thanks in advance...

foxtoast

Post by foxtoast » Sep 6th, '10, 23:10

aatm wrote:any recommendations for me? haven't watched a "good" drama in a while. HYD got me into dramas, but I think I've grown out of the "over the top" genre. Last one I managed to get through was Hanazakai no Kimitachi e, but after that....tried watching Atashinchi no Danshi, but just couldn't finish it...and same with Nodame Cantabile...eh. (sorry, I know a lot of people like that one too). I have Koizora, but haven't watched it yet. Started watching "Shinzanmono" but wasn't convinced by the first episode, even though I like Abe HIroshi. I don't mind YamaPi, and like stuff with Kimura Takuya, but not really the other SMAP guys. I like

- Slow Dance
- Proposal Daisakusen
- Change
- Mr. Brain
- Maou
- Akai Ito
- Galileo
Thanks in advance...

On the drama-drama front, you might like Liar Game and Triangle. On the romantic-drama side, you might like Kimi wa Petto, Anego, Honey and Clover, and Hotaru no Hikari (first season; the second, currently-airing series is a let-down imo). They're all more mature with older (not high school) characters and not OTT (though Hotaru no Hikari's protagonist can be pretty childish). Koizora is really OTT.

If you're looking at other languages, you might like Iris (Korean), ToGetHer (TW), and the Korean Hana Yori Dango if you're feeling nostalgic and still like the JP version.

aatm

Post by aatm » Sep 7th, '10, 00:22

foxtoast wrote:
aatm wrote:any recommendations for me? haven't watched a "good" drama in a while. HYD got me into dramas, but I think I've grown out of the "over the top" genre. Last one I managed to get through was Hanazakai no Kimitachi e, but after that....tried watching Atashinchi no Danshi, but just couldn't finish it...and same with Nodame Cantabile...eh. (sorry, I know a lot of people like that one too). I have Koizora, but haven't watched it yet. Started watching "Shinzanmono" but wasn't convinced by the first episode, even though I like Abe HIroshi. I don't mind YamaPi, and like stuff with Kimura Takuya, but not really the other SMAP guys. I like

- Slow Dance
- Proposal Daisakusen
- Change
- Mr. Brain
- Maou
- Akai Ito
- Galileo
Thanks in advance...

On the drama-drama front, you might like Liar Game and Triangle. On the romantic-drama side, you might like Kimi wa Petto, Anego, Honey and Clover, and Hotaru no Hikari (first season; the second, currently-airing series is a let-down imo). They're all more mature with older (not high school) characters and not OTT (though Hotaru no Hikari's protagonist can be pretty childish). Koizora is really OTT.

If you're looking at other languages, you might like Iris (Korean), ToGetHer (TW), and the Korean Hana Yori Dango if you're feeling nostalgic and still like the JP version.
Thanks for those suggestions. I've seen Liar Game 1 and 2, as well as Triangle already, but at least I'm consistent with my taste if you were able to suggest those from what I provided. I've also seen Honey and Clover, but not the others. I suppose I'll give Hotaru no Hikari a try, even though I haven't seen Ayase Haruka in anything good since...... Byakuyako. I just got the first couple episodes of Voice so hopefully that'll be okay.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Sep 7th, '10, 04:22

- Slow Dance
- Proposal Daisakusen
- Change
- Mr. Brain
- Maou
- Akai Ito
- Galileo

Thanks in advance...

You might just be temporarily burnt out on them, or maybe you've just outgrown teen comedies/teen manga adaptations. In any event here's some different suggestions you might enjoy:

Kimura Takuya Dramas
Well, if you haven't seen Kimura Takuya in Long Vacation yet, that's an excellent one. Slow Dance is often compared with LV, and many folks love both.

Pride is also really popular, though I'm not crazy about the female lead character. If you can handle Rei in ProDai, you can probably handle Aki. And there are some great background stories in it too.

crime/mystery/police dramas
Gonzo: Densetsu no Keiji is a great police drama about a detective who suffered a nervous breakdown but is dragged back into solving crimes because he is a genius at it. I liked it much better than Triangle, personally.

Warui Yatsura is a really good crime drama that revolves around the twisted relationship between a nurse and a killer doctor. Real ending after final credits. I found it addictive to watch, rather like Maou in that respect. Plus, the focus on the twisted connection between the two lead characters.

Koshonin is also pretty good. It's about a female police negotiator who wants to know the truth behind her father's death.

Ikkebukuro West Gate Park is always amazing, imo. A young man with no direction in his life gets drawn into helping solve multiple cases for people in his neighborhood. Both the cops and the local gang are looking to recruit him. And some cases strike very close to home for him. There are elements of comedy in this, but definitely not in the same vein as HYD, etc. This drama was a mega hit with solid writing, so it's worth checking to see if the balance it strikes is right for you. It's definitely not for everyone. Easily my favorite performance from Yamapi, and I tend to be critcal of him.

Medical
Not sure if you've ever tried doctor dramas before, but Iryu is a classic. Twisty hospital politics, maverick doctors, godly operations, interesting characters.

Romance
Aishiteiru to Itte Kure is a 90's romance drama about a deaf artist and a young woman falling in love.

Koi ga Shitaiis an ensemble drama about a bond that forms between 7 strangers who impact eachother's lives forever. Multiple romances, family stories, career stories.... good stuff.

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko If you love Abe Hiroshi, you've probably seen it... but if you haven't it's totally worth checking out.

Human Drama
Ashita no Kita Yoshio - A timid man who has decided to end his life in 11 days (on the annivesary of his friend's death) is drawn into a web of friendships, conspiracies, loves, and crimes when he meets a young hoodlum named Heita. It's twisty, turny, mysterious, addictive, fun, quirky, and pretty much impossible to adequately categorize without explaining the entire show. Highly recommended.

Utahime - At his mother's request, a young man attends the final film at an old cinema. Like a time slip, the film whisks us back to the life of the man's grandfather and his experiences ten years after WWII in the village that took him in after he washed up on their shore with amnesia... Since you like ProDai this also has lots to analyze, actions and decisions aren't black and white, the characters involved in the lovestory are complex and have very interesting viewpoints to examine, there's a touch of magic, and a great ensemble of characters.

Hopefully something in there will work for you.

aatm

Post by aatm » Sep 7th, '10, 06:11

ryoko11 wrote: You might just be temporarily burnt out on them, or maybe you've just outgrown teen comedies/teen manga adaptations. In any event here's some different suggestions you might enjoy:

Kimura Takuya Dramas
Well, if you haven't seen Kimura Takuya in Long Vacation yet, that's an excellent one. Slow Dance is often compared with LV, and many folks love both.

Pride is also really popular, though I'm not crazy about the female lead character. If you can handle Rei in ProDai, you can probably handle Aki. And there are some great background stories in it too.

crime/mystery/police dramas
Gonzo: Densetsu no Keiji is a great police drama about a detective who suffered a nervous breakdown but is dragged back into solving crimes because he is a genius at it. I liked it much better than Triangle, personally.

Warui Yatsura is a really good crime drama that revolves around the twisted relationship between a nurse and a killer doctor. Real ending after final credits. I found it addictive to watch, rather like Maou in that respect. Plus, the focus on the twisted connection between the two lead characters.

Koshonin is also pretty good. It's about a female police negotiator who wants to know the truth behind her father's death.

Ikkebukuro West Gate Park is always amazing, imo. A young man with no direction in his life gets drawn into helping solve multiple cases for people in his neighborhood. Both the cops and the local gang are looking to recruit him. And some cases strike very close to home for him. There are elements of comedy in this, but definitely not in the same vein as HYD, etc. This drama was a mega hit with solid writing, so it's worth checking to see if the balance it strikes is right for you. It's definitely not for everyone. Easily my favorite performance from Yamapi, and I tend to be critcal of him.

Medical
Not sure if you've ever tried doctor dramas before, but Iryu is a classic. Twisty hospital politics, maverick doctors, godly operations, interesting characters.

Romance
Aishiteiru to Itte Kure is a 90's romance drama about a deaf artist and a young woman falling in love.

Koi ga Shitaiis an ensemble drama about a bond that forms between 7 strangers who impact eachother's lives forever. Multiple romances, family stories, career stories.... good stuff.

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko If you love Abe Hiroshi, you've probably seen it... but if you haven't it's totally worth checking out.

Human Drama
Ashita no Kita Yoshio - A timid man who has decided to end his life in 11 days (on the annivesary of his friend's death) is drawn into a web of friendships, conspiracies, loves, and crimes when he meets a young hoodlum named Heita. It's twisty, turny, mysterious, addictive, fun, quirky, and pretty much impossible to adequately categorize without explaining the entire show. Highly recommended.

Utahime - At his mother's request, a young man attends the final film at an old cinema. Like a time slip, the film whisks us back to the life of the man's grandfather and his experiences ten years after WWII in the village that took him in after he washed up on their shore with amnesia... Since you like ProDai this also has lots to analyze, actions and decisions aren't black and white, the characters involved in the lovestory are complex and have very interesting viewpoints to examine, there's a touch of magic, and a great ensemble of characters.

Hopefully something in there will work for you.
Thanks ryoko11! I will definitely check some of those out. I have Long Vacation, but have yet to watch it. Always heard good things about it though so I'm not sure what's taking me so long to get to that one. I did see IWGP as well as Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. I did watch Code Blue and found it kinda eh, but hopefully I'll like Iryu. And Gonzo sounds good too. The way you describe them, they all sound good!

Thanks so much! You've been a great help as I was kinda stuck in a rut of wanting to see something good without wasting my time and finding out about 3/4 of the way through that it just wasn't my thing (cough cough Atashinchi no Danshi cough cough).

Thanks again!

NoSkill

Post by NoSkill » Sep 13th, '10, 18:16

Hello to all of you.

After serveral years of watching Anime I recently started to watch J-Dramas. Now I could say im addicted to it. ^^"

My List:

Really Good:
- Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
- Hotaru no Hikari
- Daisakusen Proposal
- Love Shuffle
- My Boss My Hero

Good:
- Hana Yori Dango S1 / S2 / Movie
- First Kiss
- Yankee-kun to Megane-chan

Good... but not what I'm looking for
- Bloody Monday S1 / S2
- Mr. Brain
- Liar Game S1 / S2 / Movie

Now I need some advice for other good dramas. As you can see on my list I really like the genre romance. I don't mind comedy as long as there is romance in it.

I would really appreciate some good suggestions. :)

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 13th, '10, 18:31

Hallo NoSkill,

just check what we suggested to winnythepanda and jublies about 2 pages back. They also asked for romance drama ;) There is also a special thread about Top5 romance drama. :D

fluffyemu

Post by fluffyemu » Sep 14th, '10, 04:46

Can anyone recommend any mystery/thriller-oriented j-dramas, in the vein of World of Ice (insurance beneficiary's three fiances die) and Sleeping Forest (murder of amnesiac's family)? Basically, darker dramas that have one long story arc in which a crime or mystery is investigated and uncovered. Not really looking for episodic detective shows; I'm more in the market for a series-long plot.

Thanks! :)

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Sep 14th, '10, 08:17

fluffyemu wrote:Can anyone recommend any mystery/thriller-oriented j-dramas, in the vein of World of Ice (insurance beneficiary's three fiances die) and Sleeping Forest (murder of amnesiac's family)? Basically, darker dramas that have one long story arc in which a crime or mystery is investigated and uncovered. Not really looking for episodic detective shows; I'm more in the market for a series-long plot.

Gonzo: Dentsetsu no Keiji

Just as you asked, it's a long mystery arc, not an episodic drama. It is about a former ace detective that is called back into duty to solve a murder.

Another one is Pandora which is a medical drama about a doctor that has discovered a miracle cure and all the scheming that goes on between various parties that are interested in the drug. Even though it's a medical drama, it's not like typical medical dramas. It's not about miraculous procedures such as Iryu.

The plot also spans the entire length of the drama which is 8 episodes.

BlueHeartPhoenix

Post by BlueHeartPhoenix » Sep 14th, '10, 09:03

Jdorama that i recommended to watch are
* H2
* Futatsu no spica
* Atashinchi no Danshi
* Strawberry on The Shortcake
* Hanazakari no Kimi Tachi E

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Sep 14th, '10, 11:32

fluffyemu wrote:Can anyone recommend any mystery/thriller-oriented j-dramas, in the vein of World of Ice (insurance beneficiary's three fiances die) and Sleeping Forest (murder of amnesiac's family)? Basically, darker dramas that have one long story arc in which a crime or mystery is investigated and uncovered. Not really looking for episodic detective shows; I'm more in the market for a series-long plot.

Warui Yatsura
Anata no Tonari ni Dareka Iru
Choujin Utada
Maou
Koori no Hana SP
Kemonomichi
Kurokawa no techo
Ekiro

The best you have to see in this I would say is Warui Yatsura, Choujin Utada and Koori no hana

nyxed

Post by nyxed » Sep 18th, '10, 22:18

What's good these days? I haven't watched a drama in a long time. I think I'll watch pretty much anything, but I tend to like terminal illness ones for some reason (1 littoru no namida, taiyo no uta, beautiful life). XD I like my drama to be melodrama, if you know what I'm sayin'. But anything will do. :) Thanks for your suggestions!

saayan

Post by saayan » Sep 19th, '10, 07:36

nyxed wrote:What's good these days? I haven't watched a drama in a long time. I think I'll watch pretty much anything, but I tend to like terminal illness ones for some reason (1 littoru no namida, taiyo no uta, beautiful life). XD I like my drama to be melodrama, if you know what I'm sayin'. But anything will do. :) Thanks for your suggestions!
Some recent good dramatic ones are Jin and Mother. Definitely check those out! :Dv

If terminal illness is your thing, there's the new one called Mioka. I haven't got past the 2nd episode but it might be up your alley!

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Sep 20th, '10, 19:55

Anyone know of any good, recent (no older than 2 years) comedy or mystery series worth checking out?

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Sep 21st, '10, 03:29

Mwulf wrote:Anyone know of any good, recent (no older than 2 years) comedy or mystery series worth checking out?
Shinzanmono http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Shinzanmono

Bitoy

Post by Bitoy » Sep 22nd, '10, 12:53

guys can you recommend sports-romance and romantic comedy aside from buzzerbeat, Hanna yori Dango 1 & 2, not later than 2008...

thanks

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Sep 22nd, '10, 14:38

Bitoy wrote:guys can you recommend sports-romance and romantic comedy aside from buzzerbeat, Hanna yori Dango 1 & 2, not later than 2008...

thanks
H2, but I will watch anything Satomi is in. H2 was made on 2005.

I just watched Ganbatte Ikimasshoi, but it is a little heavier on the rowing, but some nice romance too. Also from 2005.

Bitoy

Post by Bitoy » Sep 23rd, '10, 06:56

I've watch and like the most are

Daisakusen Proposal
Densha Otoko
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
Love Shuffle
My Boss, My Hero
Buzzer Beat
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
Hana Yori Dango 1
Hana Yori Dango 1

like least
Hotaru No Hikari,
Atashinchi no Danshi

guys any other recommendations or a must see series?

@wmcnair370

I'll try to Watch H2.. thanks

Nex

Post by Nex » Sep 24th, '10, 05:02

Hey peoples,

I am completely new to this sorta thing so I don't really know any.

Are there any dramas along the lines of manga like Skip Beat or The One dealing with actors/models/idols etc?

And also what about ones with martial arts, but done in decent way, i.e. with actors who know what they are doing so it doesn't look too fake.

And what about ones about music?

Thankyou for any help!

senhiro

Post by senhiro » Sep 25th, '10, 04:30

hello guys,,, i want recommendation for a funny/ heart warming dorama..

I have watched a few like GTO, HIGHSCHOOL SAMURAI(about a guy who is possed by a samurai spirit)
zettai kareshi(my personal favorite)
***** to papa, i forgot the name but its about a woman that lives with his father which it's very strict

Liar game

and others.. I m in some strong problems and i have to keep myself busy with smething.. please recommend me something

IM DESESPERATE

Semaru

Post by Semaru » Sep 25th, '10, 05:17

hmm, My Boss My Hero is very good...or Seigi no Mikata

senhiro

Post by senhiro » Sep 25th, '10, 07:23

thanks for your recommendations im watching my boss my hero, fair enough,,, im at chapter 4

i also remember i watched a baseball dorama with takeshi sorimachi where he posses a body,, that one made me cry..

but i'm looking for comedy/romance/funny too

thanks for your recommendations but please give me more because i watch them too fast xD

senhiro

Post by senhiro » Sep 27th, '10, 02:01

sorry i didnt like seigi no mikata,

aren't there more comedy/school/romance doramas?

thanks in advance

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Sep 27th, '10, 02:56

There are so many jdrama school dramas... don't know what you've seen. But the ones I've liked are:

H2 - high school romance and baseball
Orange Days - college romance
Stand Up - romance and comedy. Some sexual humor. High School
Nobuta Wo Produce - friendship. comedy.

Others I found okay:
Cat Street Romance and school
Q.E.D. School detectives with a hint of romance

saayan

Post by saayan » Sep 27th, '10, 03:02

senhiro wrote:sorry i didnt like seigi no mikata,

thanks in advance
Try Yankee-kun to Megane-chan :)

senhiro

Post by senhiro » Sep 27th, '10, 06:06

saayan wrote:
senhiro wrote:sorry i didnt like seigi no mikata,

thanks in advance
Try Yankee-kun to Megane-chan :)
Torrents don't work for me, and I didn't find any megaupload links on google

Damn :cry:

Mugatu

Post by Mugatu » Sep 27th, '10, 06:17

senhiro wrote: aren't there more comedy/school/romance doramas?
papa to musume no nanokakan - about a father and a daughter who switch bodies for a week, pretty funny :)

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Sep 27th, '10, 17:46

MisS Lonliah wrote:
Mwulf wrote:Anyone know of any good, recent (no older than 2 years) comedy or mystery series worth checking out?
Dubai? Really? Cool.
Erm, anyway, HUGE THANKS for the reccomendation. I can't believe I didn't know about this show--Abe Jiro is, in my opinion, one of Japan's best actors. I don't think he's been in anything, even as a side character (like Hero) that I didn't love. Shinzanmono is absolutely fantastic. For anyone else looking for a good recent drama, I can't recommend this one enough!

I've also just finished watching Gonzo - Densetsu no Keiji. It has its ups and downs, but it's also a very, very good drama. I heartily recommend it.

senhiro

Post by senhiro » Sep 28th, '10, 04:51

Mugatu wrote:
senhiro wrote: aren't there more comedy/school/romance doramas?
papa to musume no nanokakan - about a father and a daughter who switch bodies for a week, pretty funny :)
just finish it, was pretty good

ahh need more!

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Sep 28th, '10, 07:11

MisS Lonliah wrote:

Just finished Shinzanmono and it was great (although I thought last 2 - 3 episodes had less energy and more cheese than previous episodes).

I am looking forward to any other recommendations of good, recent (no older than 2 years) comedy or mystery series worth checking out..

thanks in advance.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Sep 28th, '10, 22:07

Mwulf wrote:
MisS Lonliah wrote:
Dubai? Really? Cool.
Erm, anyway, HUGE THANKS for the reccomendation. I can't believe I didn't know about this show--Abe Jiro is, in my opinion, one of Japan's best actors. I don't think he's been in anything, even as a side character (like Hero) that I didn't love. Shinzanmono is absolutely fantastic. For anyone else looking for a good recent drama, I can't recommend this one enough!

I've also just finished watching Gonzo - Densetsu no Keiji. It has its ups and downs, but it's also a very, very good drama. I heartily recommend it.
hmm yup really from Dubai! Is it that hard to believe? :mrgreen:

Shinzanmono was superb indeed. Abe & the rest of the cast did a great job! IMO, it's the best drama in 2010 so far.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Sep 28th, '10, 22:27

kirtil wrote:
MisS Lonliah wrote:

Just finished Shinzanmono and it was great (although I thought last 2 - 3 episodes had less energy and more cheese than previous episodes).

I am looking forward to any other recommendations of good, recent (no older than 2 years) comedy or mystery series worth checking out..

thanks in advance.
You might be right! the stories/plots in the first half of the drama were somehow better/fresher.

comedy: Kaibutsu-kun* / Hotaru no Hikari 2**
mystery: Majo Saiban
& my fav. drama in 2009 was JIN

*If you ignore their costumes & the poor CG, you will find the drama worth watching because it's uber-entertaining & full of beautiful/useful lessons about life.
**I enjoyed the 2nd season more than the 1st one.

milhaus007

Post by milhaus007 » Sep 28th, '10, 23:00

One Litre of Tears best JDrama ever.

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Sep 29th, '10, 02:20

MisS Lonliah wrote:
You might be right! the stories/plots in the first half of the drama were somehow better/fresher.

*If you ignore their costumes & the poor CG, you will find the drama worth watching because it's uber-entertaining & full of beautiful/useful lessons about life.
I've got 2 episodes left on Shinzanmono. I certainly think the quality took a bit of a dip for the 'Detective's Son' episode, but the next one--third to last--I thought was pretty good. The other really good mystery series I recently watched--Gonzo--started and ended GREAT, but the middle episodes were hard to watch--the whole flashback episode was a hassle to watch, and all the bits dealing with the crazy politician's son were a hassle to get through, too.

Well, except when he first went undercover and they got drunk having a heated argument over mecha anime. That was a high point.

Anyway, since I've recieved some GREAT recommendations here, I think I'll toss some more out. We all love mystery/suspense style dramas, right? Here's a list of my favorites, ranked from most to least recommended. (Though, obviously, I highly recommend ALL of them).

1. Trick (3 seasons, 2 TV specials + 2 movies--my all time favorite drama)
2. Hero (1 season + 1 TV special)
3. Gonzo ~ Densetsu no Keiji (1 season)
4. SP (1 season + 1 special)
5. Shinzanmono (1 season)
6. Maou (1 season)
7. Liar Game (2 seasons?)
8. Rinjo (2 seasons)

Trick and Hero are on a completely different level from the others--they're 'CLASSICS' that EVERYONE ought to watch.

Bitoy

Post by Bitoy » Sep 29th, '10, 08:34

Just finished watching My Boss My Hero, Shinzanmono and Last Friends...

hmmm... Don't know what to download....

any suggestions?

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Sep 29th, '10, 22:28

Mwulf wrote:
MisS Lonliah wrote:

I've got 2 episodes left on Shinzanmono. I certainly think the quality took a bit of a dip for the 'Detective's Son' episode, but the next one--third to last--I thought was pretty good. The other really good mystery series I recently watched--Gonzo--started and ended GREAT, but the middle episodes were hard to watch--the whole flashback episode was a hassle to watch, and all the bits dealing with the crazy politician's son were a hassle to get through, too.

Well, except when he first went undercover and they got drunk having a heated argument over mecha anime. That was a high point.

Anyway, since I've recieved some GREAT recommendations here, I think I'll toss some more out. We all love mystery/suspense style dramas, right? Here's a list of my favorites, ranked from most to least recommended. (Though, obviously, I highly recommend ALL of them).

1. Trick (3 seasons, 2 TV specials + 2 movies--my all time favorite drama)
2. Hero (1 season + 1 TV special)
3. Gonzo ~ Densetsu no Keiji (1 season)
4. SP (1 season + 1 special)
5. Shinzanmono (1 season)
6. Maou (1 season)
7. Liar Game (2 seasons?)
8. Rinjo (2 seasons)

Trick and Hero are on a completely different level from the others--they're 'CLASSICS' that EVERYONE ought to watch.
I second your list!!! but I really need to download SP, I read many good reviews about it however *unfortunately* I didn't get the chance to watch it yet!

badcompany

Post by badcompany » Oct 8th, '10, 12:36

I apologise for not browsing through this thread but at 200+ pages long, I cannot be fucked.

Am in need of some help, need someone to save my faith in Japanese Dramas.

The last couple of dramas I've watched have left me reeling. It felt like the writers of the shows were observing, pointing, laughing at me, whilst slapping me with the stupid stick shouting 'I can't believe how dumb you are for watching this!'. Acting was atrocious too, enough to want to put a gun to your head and pull the trigger.

The dramas in question were Saito-san and Liar Game.

Can anyone recommend a show that's a bit cerebral, that does not insult your intelligence and is not blemished by retarded over-acting?

Any genres are welcome. Just not those that insult your intelligence and kills your faith in the human race.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Oct 8th, '10, 12:47

badcompany wrote:I apologise for not browsing through this thread but at 200+ pages long, I cannot be fucked.

The last couple of dramas I've watched have left me reeling. It felt like the writers of the shows were observing, pointing, laughing at me, whilst slapping me with the stupid stick shouting 'I can't believe how dumb you are for watching this!'. Acting was atrocious too, enough to want to put a gun to your head and pull the trigger.

Can anyone recommend a show that's a bit cerebral, that does not insult your intelligence and is not blemished by retarded over-acting?

Any genres are welcome. Just not those that insult your intelligence and kills your faith in the human race.
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Mother

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 8th, '10, 21:39

badcompany wrote:I apologise for not browsing through this thread but at 200+ pages long, I cannot be fucked.

Not sure what show's you've watched and liked for a baseline, but these might work for you:

Thriller:
Yasha

Romance:
Long Vacation
Utahime
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (more comedy emphasis, but not the overacting kind)

Crime/Mystery:
Galileo
Warui Yatsura
Gonzo Densetsu no Keiji
Ikebukuro West Gate Park

Human/Inspirational (with touches of mystery and romance):
Ashita no Kita Yoshio

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 8th, '10, 21:39

ryoko11 wrote:

Not sure what show's you've watched and liked for a baseline, but these might work for you:

Thriller:
Yasha

Romance:
Long Vacation
Utahime

Crime/Mystery:
Galileo
Warui Yatsura
Gonzo Densetsu no Keiji
Ikebukuro West Gate Park

Ashita no Kita Yoshio

Asian-drama-kawaii

More drama like Karei naru Ichizoku

Post by Asian-drama-kawaii » Oct 9th, '10, 10:03

Hello friends,

Can anyone recommend Japanese drama that are like Karei naru Ichizoku...

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Karei-naru_Ichizoku

I am watching it right now and I'm totally into it, it's very emotional and very intense at the same time. Would love to see more dramas like this...

Any recommendation would be appreicated..

nuntapak

Post by nuntapak » Oct 9th, '10, 11:32

I would recommend 'Fumo Chitai" and 'The Great Whit Tower' both are written by Yamazaki Toyoko who wrote Karie Naru Ichizoku

piousm

Post by piousm » Oct 10th, '10, 06:15

I usually watch comedies (just watched my gitlfriend is a Gumiho which is brilliant, but K drama), but as thriller dramas I watched Orthros no Innui (sp) which was very good, and Xenos which was sort of a titty drama (i.e. pretty much every episode had either some breasts or sex in it), but even with pretty wooden acting it was actually quite good, the storyline was fair enough and it kept up my interest.

badcompany

Post by badcompany » Oct 10th, '10, 06:23

ryoko11 wrote:

Thriller:
Yasha

Romance:
Long Vacation
Utahime

Crime/Mystery:
Galileo
Warui Yatsura
Gonzo Densetsu no Keiji
Ikebukuro West Gate Park

Ashita no Kita Yoshio
Of your list, I've only seen Ikebukuro West Gate Park, really enjoyed that.

Thank you for your recommendations, will check them out.

aikidoaasa

Recomendations for Romantic and comdey series.

Post by aikidoaasa » Oct 10th, '10, 11:52

I've searched around on the wiki and on this board... but it's starting to get a it hard to find good recommendations of series that are both romantic and comedy. I've been looking on a lot of series during a couple of years and now I want to get some new fresh ideas. ^_^

I've liked series like:
Hanakimi, Hana yori dango, Bambino!, It started with a kiss, my boss my hero etc...

Any new recommendations for new japanese series for me to watch? ^_^

Thanks in advance.

piousm

Post by piousm » Oct 12th, '10, 08:09

I really liked Yankee-kun which is recent, and Otomen as well. Both really good. Also Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi (I think it translates to the Amazing Deer Man or something like that) and I'm also somewhat embarrassed to say I liked Yamato etc etc. Samurai High School was very good, not so much romance but enough. At the moment my all time favorite is a K-drama, My girlfriend is a gumiho, There just wasnt anything not to like about it. Plenty of romance and plenty of comedy in that.

MisS Lonliah

Re: Recomendations for Romantic and comdey series.

Post by MisS Lonliah » Oct 12th, '10, 12:30

aikidoaasa wrote:I've searched around on the wiki and on this board... but it's starting to get a it hard to find good recommendations of series that are both romantic and comedy. I've been looking on a lot of series during a couple of years and now I want to get some new fresh ideas. ^_^

I've liked series like:
Hanakimi, Hana yori dango, Bambino!, It started with a kiss, my boss my hero etc...

Any new recommendations for new japanese series for me to watch? ^_^

Thanks in advance.
From summer 2010 Unubore Deka & Hotaru no Hikari 2

senhiro

Post by senhiro » Oct 13th, '10, 06:58

ryoko11 wrote:

Thriller:
Yasha

Romance:
Long Vacation
Utahime

Crime/Mystery:
Galileo
Warui Yatsura
Gonzo Densetsu no Keiji
Ikebukuro West Gate Park

Ashita no Kita Yoshio

Watched Ashita No kita yoshio.

I was really moved, Thanks for he recommendations, I'm goin to try another of the above, I hope i can get into them aswell

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Oct 18th, '10, 08:57

Good evening/morning/afternoon everyone! I'm a humble D-A member looking for some opinions on some 2010 dramas I skipped, for whatever reason (time, disinterest, etc). I watched a lot this year, but there's always dramas that escape my notice and I'm curious on your thoughts on some stuff, if anyone's willing to help.

Feel free to post spoilers. I love spoilers! :D

Anything NOT on this list I have watched or will never watch because of the cast/synopsis/type.

So what did/do folks think about these:
Tokujo Kabachi!!
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge
Naka nai to Kimeta Hi
Tsuki no Koibito (Watched the first few and hated it, but I wonder if it turned out well?)
Mother
Yankee-kun to Megane-chan
Troubleman
Hammer Session
Tumbling
Gold
Gakeppuchi no Eri
Atami no Sousakan
GM Odore Doctor

Just a reminder, If it's not on this list, I probably watched it, or it's something I'd never watch in a million and one years.

:unsure: Is saying it twice, in bold no less, too much or not enough? See, plenty of folks skim posts and never read the entire thing, so even if I post a list of what I've seen, there'll be folks saying "Hotaru no Hikari 2!" and "Shinzanmono!" and "Sunao ni Narenakutte!" and such, even though I HAVE watched those and quite a few others, you know? I guess over the years my patience has worn thin and so I'm kind of wary of posting on forums at all.

Anyways, thanks in advance for replying (especially to those folks who took the time to read the entire post. You're awesome)!

saayan

Post by saayan » Oct 18th, '10, 09:40

Tokujo Kabachi!! ~SKIP unless you're a fan of the actors
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge ~SKIP unless you're a fan of the actors
Naka nai to Kimeta Hi ~Haven't watched all of it, but have heard relatively good things
Tsuki no Koibito ~SKIP, especially if you hated what you saw. Trust me, it doesn't get better.
Mother ~MAJOR KEEPER. Drop everything you're doing and watch this one now.
Yankee-kun to Megane-chan ~good for a fun, casual watch
Troubleman ~Interesting concept but not as well-executed as I'd hoped...so not highly recommended.
Hammer Session ~Depends on if you like school dramas. Not a personal fav of mine.
Tumbling ~Haven't seen it yet.
Gold ~Tough one. It starts out awesome but in the end, wasn't as great as I'd expected. Solid performances from Amami Yuki and Sorimachi, and brings up some interesting topics though.
but skip it if you can't handle incest to any degree
Gakeppuchi no Eri ~Haven't seen it.
Atami no Sousakan ~KEEPER, but kinda depends on your taste. If you're cool with weird, unique, non-traditional stories that make you think, definitely watch it!
GM Odore Doctor ~Not bad for brainless entertainment. Think "HOUSE" but substitute the realistic medicine with dancing...yeah.

[fti]widzsuju

Post by [fti]widzsuju » Oct 18th, '10, 10:42

Hi,could anyone give me some recommendations for nice jap dramas??
I've watched alot of the jap dramas but recently was stuck with nth to watch.

Just finished watching TUMBLING & I have to say its a great drama,anymore recommendations?
I kinda like those detective & suspense dramas :-)

Sorry if I never include the series that I've watched,its just too many that it'll just drag my post :lol

Thanx!!

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Oct 21st, '10, 23:35

saayan wrote:Tokujo Kabachi!! ~SKIP unless you're a fan of the actors
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge ~SKIP unless you're a fan of the actors
Naka nai to Kimeta Hi ~Haven't watched all of it, but have heard relatively good things
Tsuki no Koibito ~SKIP, especially if you hated what you saw. Trust me, it doesn't get better.
Mother ~MAJOR KEEPER. Drop everything you're doing and watch this one now.
Yankee-kun to Megane-chan ~good for a fun, casual watch
Troubleman ~Interesting concept but not as well-executed as I'd hoped...so not highly recommended.
Hammer Session ~Depends on if you like school dramas. Not a personal fav of mine.
Tumbling ~Haven't seen it yet.
Gold ~Tough one. It starts out awesome but in the end, wasn't as great as I'd expected. Solid performances from Amami Yuki and Sorimachi, and brings up some interesting topics though.
but skip it if you can't handle incest to any degree
Gakeppuchi no Eri ~Haven't seen it.
Atami no Sousakan ~KEEPER, but kinda depends on your taste. If you're cool with weird, unique, non-traditional stories that make you think, definitely watch it!
GM Odore Doctor ~Not bad for brainless entertainment. Think "HOUSE" but substitute the realistic medicine with dancing...yeah.
LOL...I second that almost completely...AND DO WATCH MOTHER. The only really good jdrama in the last 2 years for me.
Gold was a bit weird cause it turned out completely different from what I thought but yeah, solid acting and nice production...
Yankee-kun and... was disappointing for me and I dropped it after a few eps, but if you like a manga-ish drama and Nari, you might enjoy it for light entertainment
Tumbling Watched the first few eps as a guilty pleasure but then somehow lost interest. Fun and well yeah, boys in spandex gym suits, some yankee fights and a little BL touch...
Atami no Sousakan my expectations were to high and my patience too little. Found it rather tiring and still keep it on hold...

killermike

Post by killermike » Oct 23rd, '10, 14:38

Can anyone suggest similar dramas for the following?
-love shuffle !!specially!!
-Daisakusen Proposal
-Densha Otoko
-Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
-My Boss, My Hero

doram

Post by doram » Oct 24th, '10, 10:05

Can someone recommend me drama with comedy genre??
I've watched:
Nodame Cantabile,
My Boss My Hero,
Yankee kun to Megane chan,
Seigi no Mikata,
HanaKimi,
Otomen...

Maybe someone can suggest a drama like Yankee kun to Megane chan... I prefer both school and comedy~~
anyone please help~~

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Oct 24th, '10, 10:08

doram wrote:Can someone recommend me drama with comedy genre??
I've watched:
Nodame Cantabile,
My Boss My Hero,
Seigi no Mikata,
HanaKimi,
Otomen...

Maybe someone can suggest a drama like Yankee kun to Megane chan... I prefer both school and comedy~~
anyone please help~~
Gokusen, if you don't want to watch all seasons, watch season 1.

Tran

Post by Tran » Oct 24th, '10, 11:02

I'm looking for some Jdramas with similar to Jumong. If you guys know some to recommend that will be much appreciated. Cheers!

doram

Post by doram » Oct 24th, '10, 12:14

Keiko1981 wrote:
I've watched:
Nodame Cantabile,
My Boss My Hero,
Seigi no Mikata,
HanaKimi,
Otomen...

anyone please help~~
Gokusen, if you don't want to watch all seasons, watch season 1.
thank you! :-) I'll add it into my list

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Oct 25th, '10, 09:25

I've watched:
Nodame Cantabile,
My Boss My Hero,
Seigi no Mikata,
HanaKimi,
Otomen...

anyone please help~~
GTO is still the best school comedy for me...
You might also like Yasuko to Kenji, for me it had a similar feel to YanMega
Seing you liked Otomen, maybe Samurai High School (didn't watch myself though)

doram

Post by doram » Oct 25th, '10, 13:46

arakira wrote:
I've watched:
Nodame Cantabile,
My Boss My Hero,
Seigi no Mikata,
HanaKimi,
Otomen...

anyone please help~~
GTO is still the best school comedy for me...
You might also like Yasuko to Kenji, for me it had a similar feel to YanMega
Seing you liked Otomen, maybe Samurai High School (didn't watch myself though)
GTO? what is it??
Ah! I forgot to tell, I've watched Yasuko to Kenji too...
Hmm.... I don't personally enjoy Otomen, though. wrote it just to tell you that "I've watched this drama" :mrgreen:
anyway, thanks :salut:

My friend told me to watch Abarenbo Mama and Papa to musume no nanokakan, are they really good? :scratch: