Korean Actors/Actresses discussion thread

Discuss about your favourite Korean Actors and Actresses.
arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 4th, '10, 15:11

Haha I did watch some eps of Chuno...and I go for the tramp-look, too.

But...a scruffy JH beats a scruffy OJH for me, gomene Issy-tan!! I couldn't watch Chuno cause I kept pausing and staring at those abs and chest and arms and etc etc...Too dangerous for my sanity^^

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 4th, '10, 22:09

Happy Birthday So Ji Sub!! :cheers:
Last edited by arakira on Nov 4th, '10, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 4th, '10, 22:15

*faints*

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 4th, '10, 22:15

Ara, love, spoiler please... you gave me a heart attack... :faint:
And I chose for him such normal pic earlier...

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 4th, '10, 22:21

Yes and BECAUSE you put it under a spoiler I didn't even notice you posted it, even though it's such a nice smiling face of his...*ashamed*

I downsized the pic, is it ok now?

Hehe and I spent all day being envious os Shin Minah:

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Nov 4th, '10, 22:34

arakira wrote:Hehe and I spent all day being envious os Shin Minah:
I'm more envious of that guy. :P
Shin Min Ah on top of me. :roll

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 6th, '10, 10:22

I still can't fully recover from the yesterday, Ara...

Kim Myeong-min and Ha Ji-won to attend 31st Blue Dragon Handprint Ceremony

And, for fans of Lee The Voice Seongyun^^
New trailer is released

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 6th, '10, 10:45

Ok, let me start of respectably... Kim Myung Min shi! Good to see him! He looks good. Keep being awesome, sir!!! Hope we gets subs for Man of Vendetta soon. Been too long!

And now. BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAAH!!!! That trailer was too good for words! Ahahahaha! Oh man, now I'm DYING to see the movie! It looks hilarious!
The two actors seem to have really good and goofy chemistry and honestly, it looks like a fine emotional/sexual mess. Ahaha. I'm gonna love this movie, if it's as good as it looks!

And ok, that last scene needs a line of its own cause it was just too funny! You're trying to be sensual and turn her on, man, not dry the wax in her ears! Easy with the winds! :rofl:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 6th, '10, 11:54

Ecchan, I don't want to recover....that guy, i wouldn't mind loosing my mind and stay in fangir-fantasy-world with him^^

But then, there's more...The Voice's new film looks hilarious indeed...ah I wanna see this NOW, some comedy would be nice...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 6th, '10, 12:18

Hehe, how to procrastinate guide will work now...

OK, I know, maybe LMH is not the same caliber in acting as The Voice or Kim Myungmin, but I truly like what he presents.
A fanmeeting. Find any 5-kilos golden chains...

And new photoshoot:
Especially for our lovely maknae here^^

It's hard to believe he's also 1987...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 6th, '10, 12:37

Yes, he is growing up nicely, isn't he? And how lovely is it to see a young man dressed as a young man? Such a handsome boy. Good work, Min Ho, hon! :cheers:

Btw, I've been reading Twelfth Night for an English Language course and I had a funny little conversation with my brother about how it could be a kdrama. Will post a link later, after he answers.

So, this was the conversation:

My post: Eating homemade korvapuusti, drinking coffee and reading Shakespeare... Good thing the last one is light. I just pretend it's a kdrama and it all feels very familiar. :P

Bro: Which one are you reading?
Me: Twelfth Night. It's for our English course that, by now, I wish I hadn't taken.
Bro: Twelfth Night is funny. The basis of all the modern "I'm a woman, I'm pretending to be a man" comedy. I've written an essay on it, if you need help with anything ask...
Me: Thanks. I'd like to read your essay at some point. I don't need to, but I want to. It sounds interesting. It is fun, actually. It's typical gender bender and the characters are wacky enough to be in any kdrama.
I am really in my element with this, if I just see it as that. Heck, they should make a kdrama based on it, if they haven't.
Bro: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27re_B ... TV_series)
Me: ... Please tell me you've seen that huge ass DVD set in my house and found the link because of that. Cause if you managed to find one of my favorite series by accident (yes, it's the one I ordered from Korea and paid around 130 euros for), then this is some major coincidence.
Bro: Nop. Just went to 12th Night wiki, scrolled down, and saw it there.

Ahahaha. What a small world, isn't it? Although I have to say, I don't find any similarities, other than the gender bender idea. Viola is no Mi Nyu and it's all the guys that fall for the second one. No women. But the twin brother element is there.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 6th, '10, 13:52

Hm hm...Shakespeare's the father of geder-benderism and he should be taught with asian drama/plays. There's also the Japanese play with Nari and Shun, where Nari plays a woman. Loved that one :wub:

Ah and Ecchan, I keep telling you...1987 aint all bad...at least not on the guys side :mrgreen: Seems like LMH will have some nice fighting scenes for City Hunter. Looking forward to see him in action. The guy needs to get roles where he can profit from his height and body :P

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 6th, '10, 13:59

It would be nice if he'd improve his acting though. So far, I've only seen him play the same guy in different clothes.
I mean, he lacks variety in the emotions he can portray and it shows. Lovely lad, but just not good enough. Yet, that is.

I hope that he'll aim for different kinds of roles and get better at being different people. I think he can do it. And seems devoted.
As for the hand, ouch. Not ouch for Min Ho. He can take it. Big strong stud that he is. Ouch for the object or person that fist landed at. XD

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 6th, '10, 17:52

Well, as I said, he's no Kim Myungmin, but at least he's trying to do something out of the same box. I never liked City Hunter manga, but this one I may watch for seeing his acting. I mean, it's not like he is talentless, he was really nice in Public Enemy Returns (he died by KNG's pretty hand^^ ufuffu, spoiler), a totally different role than in dramas.

Plus he has this charm, not a girlish charm, not a childish charm, but a boy in full bloom easily switched to a young man. And yes, his body scheme is really nice... Face is not my cup of tea, but the body...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 6th, '10, 22:45

Ethlenn, my mom is reading your latest article. When we reach So Ji Sub's picture, she's like "Woah! Who are you?!!?!". Yep. Those eyes. She's hooked. Totally.
And then she continued (after having heard Issy's latest comments on Min Woo) "Heck! I wanna adopt this one myself!". Yes.. We have a new Ji Sub fan, ladies. :rofl:
Last edited by Orion1986 on Nov 6th, '10, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 6th, '10, 22:50

Because So Jisub IS the walking perfection. Of course when KNG is sitting, or better lying beside... umm... close... :faint:
And yes, I do have taste in men/actors. :wub: ufufufu

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 6th, '10, 23:02

Orion1986 wrote:Ethlenn, my mom is reading your latest article. When we reach So Ji Sub's picture, she's like "Woah! Who are you?!!?!". Yep. Those eyes. She's hooked. Totally.
And then she continued (after having heard Issy's latest comments on Min Woo) "Heck! I wanna adopt this one myself!". Yes.. We have a new Ji Sub fan, ladies. :rofl:
:lol :lol :lol I loooove your mom ori-chan. she's just great.
:salut:

i have to say, i still can't see it in ji sub. Sorry girls and Ori-mama. he's eyes freaks me out. the only pic i thought is ok was the one Ara posted with guyliner.

now i go and hide again. :whistling:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 6th, '10, 23:08

Yep, Issy you better hide some place safe...There's some woman in a heavy PMS phase after you now...

AH ORIMAMA...I love you, too. Oririn, you better listen to your Mum - at least when it comes to men. She really should get her own account here :lol

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 6th, '10, 23:13

Issy is just hopeless and helpless... I love her still for that :wub:

Yess, Orion mum definitely needs an account here. Man, that would be so fun, more bashin... I mean, praising!! :whistling:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 6th, '10, 23:37

Ahaha. She says she's too old to actively be anywhere, but she would like me to post her comments on her behalf when she has them. Haha.

As for Ji Sub, I still don't feel it, but I guess something about him attracts the noonas. He's hot, just didn't do it for me. Maybe not yet. No idea.
But I think I have to get her to watch Rough Cut then. She hates gangster movies, especially with fighting, so it's really not her thing, but... Ji Sub and Ji Hwan. :roll

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 7th, '10, 00:59

When you have known So Ji Sub as long as I have then you will definitely fall under his spell. He is The Quiet Man. He does not flaunt his charms but when he is ready he just swoops in and you are mesmirised.

He does the best love scenes and the leading lady had better be ready or she will lose her closeups and he will capture her and the camera.

His shoulders go from east... to.... west, and his torso goes from up... north to way

down

south....

Watch out Ethlenn Merry Christmas if you can wait.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 7th, '10, 08:33

Oh, Peggy, Peggy... I'm a patient girl, but you made it exceptionally hard for me this year. If I don't come back online a week after Christmas, it means I'm dead and went to heaven.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 7th, '10, 16:58

Oh you won't be dead. You will be in a state of higher elevation and enjoying it all the time.

aility

Post by aility » Nov 8th, '10, 13:42

I second Issy's opnion on Jisub.

This noona is not falling for those eyes or spell.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 8th, '10, 13:52

Third that. Me neither. Not that I'd mind to be in place of that blonde, but then again, any mildly attractive man would do it for me there. Sowwy. It just doesn't happen. Matter of taste, I guess. Hee hee. :roll

Handsome man, nice eyes, but he didn't attract me in the movies I've seen him. Didn't get charmed by him. And yes, I WAS looking, even if Ji Hwan was there. All sweaty and... training... with arms exposed...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 8th, '10, 16:16

Whose arms, you perv??

You are seriously in a deep need of treatment, ladies. Seriously. :P

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 8th, '10, 16:25

Ji Hwan's of course. That fine living statue of a man. You can have Ji Sub and his eyes and his arms and everything. I'm already hooked on my ADHD stud. :alcoholic:

And doing a little search on Ryu Seung Beom btw. I don't know why. I just like the guy. He's too adorable, which also means he could be potentially very creepy.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 10th, '10, 13:24

Kang Ji-hwan is Lee Jun-ki’s replacement in Faith

Right about now, I feel like a ghost just went past me. You know that feeling of getting suddenly dizzy and not knowing if you want to scream or faint or scream and faint? That's the feeling.

A little break here though. Didn't they solve that legal issue? Let the man act, damn it! If he up and left his company by breaching the contract, the man had a good reason. It's illegal so why do it?
I mean, I've heard bad bad things about agencies. Did it ever occur to them that he might have left to escape some really bad sh*t or being robbed of his hard earned money? Solve it already!

Back to the drama now. Although the fusion sageuk idea is scaring me due to the trauma caused by Hong Gil Dong, it's still a new DRAMA with Ji Hwan. That means kyaaing is in order. A lot of kyaaing and hope.

So... Here goes... KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 10th, '10, 18:50

Period clothes are shekshiiiiii...

Plus, no *cough, we-know-who cough* in it so I will be waiting.
And Goryeo period, that gets more interested... But a medical stuff... but then a herbal tea kind of medicine...
anything on the potenc... potential? Ginseng? Will he test anything on himself?

Or he will play an unbalanced doctor that gives... umm... I'm hungry, OK.

His new agency? I thought he created his own, but I have no idea about the legal issues, Jana, love?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 10th, '10, 19:07

He signed with a new agency before his contract with the old one was terminated. He breached the contract so there's been a legal dispute over that.

But yes. I imagine a crazy doctor. Although I'd like to see him play different characters too. He's a good actor and should do different things by now. Hope he does.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 11th, '10, 08:33

So he can play a mystery man with powers who inflicts illness on the inhabitants of a small town, as a payback for his dead dog.

Damn you, Bad Guy!!

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 11th, '10, 09:12

Ahahahahaha!!! Maybe we should try and not speculate, cause he might surprise us and play a normal guy. I mean he IS Ji Hwan, but he might surprise us.
I actually hope he does. I want new types of characters and opportunities for him. I think he'd shine (not the Princess way) in any role so bring em on! I want to know!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 15th, '10, 16:59

An interview with Gong Yu for the upcoming movie, with some fragments of it:
Proof that one may come for the interview in a suit. If one respects the other party and the audience.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 16th, '10, 14:01

Im Joo-hwan joins Ryu Seung-beom and Younha in film project

Yep. Sounds like something Ryu Seung Beom would do. Interesting story. Don't know the gentleman or the lady, but the story alone, and of course Ryu, are enough to get me going.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 16th, '10, 14:07

Don't say you don't know Issy's kid, or she will.... not spank you. keke

Have no idea about Younha's acting...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 16th, '10, 14:13

Sorry. Don't know him. He looks cute enough though. *prepared to hide*

But yeah, you can count on me to know the guy most people wouldn't. XD

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 16th, '10, 15:37

Orion1986 wrote:Im Joo-hwan joins Ryu Seung-beom and Younha in film project

Yep. Sounds like something Ryu Seung Beom would do. Interesting story. Don't know the gentleman or the lady, but the story alone, and of course Ryu, are enough to get me going.
have to read this twice and double check that was Orion who wrote about my kid and not Ethlenn. :mrgreen:
Ori-chan, you don't know about my kid? :blink the very person "IJH" that i refer to him as my kid almost every where??? how? :scratch:

so thanks for giving me an excuse to post his pictures :whistling:

and this kid is keeping me on my toes. not that i am complaining but since i totally fell for his character and his acting in Tamra Island, i just keep getting impressed by him more and more. pitty that his talent is not as recognised as some other ones. :-(
and to act as someone with Tourette syndrome? WOW, i think this is the most difficult character to portray. both physically and emotionally and if you get it right, you can be called a real actor. well, IJH is trying to challenge me in liking him. first with his coming drama What's Up and now with this movie. I like people who just don't rely on their look to go higher and use their brain. and he used to be/still is a Model too. :whistling:
so proud of my kid. :wub:
orion wrote:Sorry. Don't know him. He looks cute enough though. *prepared to hide*

But yeah, you can count on me to know the guy most people wouldn't.
don't worry dear. you are not the only one like this.
:lol :whistling:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 16th, '10, 15:58

That does sound interesting. What's scary is that Seung Beom's character will be the one supposed to stop them from killing themselves. Ahahaha. Somehow, I don't find that comforting. :lol

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 16th, '10, 16:06

OH MY GOOOOOD IN HEAVEN!!!!

Air! I need air! Someone hold me! I'm! I'm! *hyperventilates and faints*

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 16th, '10, 18:00

Oh my godsss! That looks nice, that looks nice! Another drama to wait for?
First pics from the set, now this... omo... :whistling:

But wait? Is he killing someone by his Dark Sith electricity??

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 16th, '10, 18:05

I don't know what he's doing to her, but sign me the hell up!

Whatever he's doing, lying naked in front of Ji Hwan and Phillip is the best job in the world!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 16th, '10, 18:07

Hmm, looks like "fantasy" will be one of the genres of this. Period drama, another period drama!! Ahahaha!!

Ok, *shrugs* a drama with a claimed man... damn... my guys are slacking...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 16th, '10, 18:11

Of course it's fantasy... Every woman's fantasy... :roll

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Nov 16th, '10, 18:17

The casting in the k-dramas that I've watched seems to be pretty darn good. It might be just the acting is that good or the way the writers showcase their leads though....

I mean after every series I've watched so far, the female lead has left some impression.

Shin Min Ah in GF is a Gumiho
Lee Da Hae in My Girl
Park Min Young in Sungkyunkwan Scandal
Park Shin Hye in You're Beautiful
Lee Soo Kyung in Soulmate

etc etc

All end up being pretty endearing.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 16th, '10, 18:26

If you think these girls are good, you should see some more mature and high standard actresses. Or some of these in other roles, like non drama ones. You'd be very impressed.

For example, I love Shin Min Ah, but you can't tell how good she is in Gumiho. Not by a longshot. Watch a couple of her movies and you'll see just how good she really is.

Most kdramas have the same type of leading girl. A very dumb and very tough, at the same time, young woman. For some actresses, that's all they can do and it works for them.
Some, however are forced to act worse than they actually can and limit themselves because the role can't fully use their talents. So these "endearing" roles are a double-edged sword for some.

Watch Coffee Prince. She's a good leading character. Yoon Eun Hye. You'll see the difference. Her kind of "dumb" and "tough" isn't the same as the usual. It's better.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 16th, '10, 18:43

Yoon Eun Hye is a good example. This girl may not be Kim Hyeja, but she works hard on every role. And as Orion said, she's different in her "trademarks".
But Park Shinhye? Damn, she irritated me so much in YAB, and now she was not better in Cyrano Agency movie. Lee Da Hae is statue-esque. Not in a good meaning.
I've seen only one thing with Park Min-yeong, so I need more to give my opinion. In SKKS she was great, but still it's only one drama.
What about Im Soo Jeong? She's great in every role. Ha Jiwon, Lee Hye Yeong, Jeon Do Yeon, Kim Kyu Ri...

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Nov 16th, '10, 19:05

Hahaha slow down...I'm just a rookie...although my friends now think I'm sort of a drama pro since they saw my posts on this forum...I get made fun of a lot about this now since these thing aren't considered that masculine and my posts like "omggg Shin Min Ah is so cute" don't really fit with how I usually talk in real life.

I'll take note and watch what you recommend.

I guess what appeals to me in a lot of these female lead roles is their character's zest for life. Most are so bright, animated and sort of lift my spirits up. You're right though, some of these roles can be limiting on an actor's/actress's range.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 16th, '10, 19:18

Bring your friends over and we can show em just how cutesy we all are. Have they ever been b*tch slapped by drama-lovers before?

Seriously speaking now, you should have a word with them about this or just ignore them and keep enjoying some nice series. They shouldn't comment on things they know nothing about anyway.
If they want to make fun of you for kdrama, they should sit and watch a few and THEN they can make fun of you from a more educated perspective. You can't make fun of something you don't even know.

Besides, a smart man will be into more things that women like to better communicate with them, understand them and keep their attention and admiration longer.
If they think they're getting any (any with some taste and a brain) by talking about football and weight lifting, they're gravely mistaken. You're educating yourself now.

And to get back to less serious things, when is Faith out again? I should not have seen this video... It's disturbing me... Long hair.. Facial hair... Armor... Hands that give electric shocks (vibrations too?). This is holding me in the gutter and bathing me in it!

Ethlenn, you get around in korean sites. Daum, Nate, Asiae, all those. When you find a picture of Ji Hwan in costume, you know what to do. Just make sure I'm home when you post it. I can't afford to faint in school. :P

And btw, in that video I posted, I love the tickling scene. Near the end. The guy in yellow is ticking the guy above him. Ahaha! So cute!

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 16th, '10, 19:40

WOW, great news. Jihwan in a fantasy saeguk?!? :cheers: I gotta admit, he looked pretty hot there even though he had taser-hands :lol:

And ISSY Don't say nobody knows your kid.He did convince me about his acting in Tamra, just not my type, again :P But I'd try out any drama or movie he's in. And I hope he'll grow to be a fine actor. This role sounds hard and I'm glad to read that he's accepting the challenge and trying to improve his acting!

Jive, nevermind their comments. I'm sure the ladies like it - as long as they don't compare themselves with Shin Minah ;) - and the guys, well have you shown them the cuteness that is Minah??? How could they not fall for such a cute chick?? Ask em whether something's wrong with THEM :P

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Nov 16th, '10, 19:47

Wait...there's more to life than sports or weightlifting? I wish I had someone to watch it with.. My GF doesn't even watch dramas lol...(she hates subtitles).

Seriously though, some of the lines in "Soulmate" are money...going to try and use them in the future bwuahaha.

Here's my list:

Yoon Eun Hye in Coffee Prince
Im Soo Jeong
Ha Jiwon
Lee Hye Yeong
Jeon Do Yeon
Kim Kyu Ri

Preparing for my mind to be blown by elite acting.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 16th, '10, 20:07

Hmm, Ori:
http://bbs.movie.daum.net/gaia/do/movie ... bbsId=M001
Two videos and one pic from the set.
And some random Jihwan (with the surprise)
And yes, I promise to keep an eye on every korean website^^

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 16th, '10, 20:57

Oh my... Lovely photos... Nice uhm... pair of... jeans on the second one.. Yes... Jeans...

This bastard is good in anything he wears, damn him. Ethlenn, love. Thanks for keeping an eye out! (and making MY eyes pop out)

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 16th, '10, 22:41

@ara
I know that you also see my kid's talent dear. :lol and I know that he is not your type. after all, we all have different tastes. that's the fun of it. :P

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Nov 17th, '10, 00:50

JiveTalkinRobot wrote: Most are so bright, animated and sort of lift my spirits up.
That's because those shows are all romantic comedies, so the girls have to be all cheery.

K4mu1

Post by K4mu1 » Nov 18th, '10, 11:18

I've been reading some of the comments here. LOL Considering my first post is commenting which actor and actress is my favourite, I feel a bit ridiculous.

Actor :
I don't really watch certain actor's movie, as I'm a male... I should be frank, I don't really "favours" certain actors. But, If I should pick, it will be between these two.

Jang Geun Seuk
->Because of You're Beautiful? Nope... It's because of Beethoven Virus. His manly character shows up well here. I think his haircut is quite simple yet good enough in this movie as well. Strengthening his character as a cop.

Kim Nam Gil
->I haven't watch QSD yet. I've heard words about his great acting there. But, let me talk about Bad Guy here. He really impressed me in that movie. His "two face" does light this movie up.

Actress :
Han Hyo Joo
-> I guess she's the only one impressed me among all. Especially in Brilliant Legacy, although I've watched almost all her movies. And I think she's the finest young actress I've seen so far. Not belittling the others, but for me, the rest is simply not good enough and yes, like others said... I'd say they get overrated.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 18th, '10, 11:25

Well, welcome and thanks for sharing your thoughts!
As you see we are short of males here^^

As for JGS, good to hear some others liked him in BV not in YAB. Because we all here felt the same. Not anymore though.
As for KNG... well, his acting in QSD was uneven, still brlliant. But the drama itself messed the character up at the end, you can pass this. :whistling:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 18th, '10, 15:15

K4mu1 welcome! And thanks for your thoughts^^ Nice to get some more male input ;)

I agree with you on JGS and BV, it was the only role -and haircut- where I really adored him. ;)

KNG is also a nice pick, imo. I didn't really like QSD but I love him in his movie roles. He definitely is a brilliant actor who manages to make you feel with his characters.

Han Hyo Joo
I didn't like Brilliant Legacy and I haven't watched any of her movies, but I found her character in spring waltz very cute. Maybe I'll check out some of her movies =)

I agree with you on young actresses in general. Most are overacting and overrated.
Personally I tend to not remember their names and faces :lol
There are only few actresses that left an impression on me, among them Ha Ji Won, Ko Hyun Jung, Kim Gyu Ri, Oh Yeon Su, some whose name I can't remember and I admit, lately I fell for Shin Min Ah ;)

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Nov 19th, '10, 01:39

K4mu1 wrote:I don't really watch certain actor's movie, as I'm a male... I should be frank, I don't really "favours" certain actors.
Understandable, I hardly know any names of actors. The few names I do know, it's because I've recently seen a show they were in. :roll

Didn't like Shining Inheritance, but the actress that caught my attention was Moon Chae Won.

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 19th, '10, 02:09

you know what? all these talks about BV making me feel like watching it again. have to admit, i fell for JGS in YAB (as my first ever kdrama) but when i watched BV i loved him even more in that character.

welcome K4mu1

I have to say that i don't have many favourite korean actresses. because i was irritated by them more than impressed in different dramas which i have seen. the one and only actress that i liked from first drama was Ha Ji Won. and now loving her even more in Secret Garden. as for Han Hyo Joo, she is the second one that i don't mind watching her dramas. Dong Yi was really fun to watch.

I also discovered Kim Mi Kyung when i was watching Tamra Island who was just great to watch. she is the YH's mom in SKKS too but unfortunately did not have a big part in the drama.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 19th, '10, 02:11

I should be asleep about 1-2 hours ago so I guess it's time for beddy bed. I'll give our new friend, K4mu1 a proper welcome tomorrow. With a fresh brain. Till then, welcome to the thread. :D

K4mu1

Post by K4mu1 » Nov 19th, '10, 15:55

Oh... Well I guest I'm lost to Female's discussion paradise xD... :whistling:

Well, I do believe in general, people will never has one general opinion. Well, as I can see here, from 5 Opinions, I can see 2 Ha Ji Won votes. I never really watch any of her movie I think...

Including "What Happened In Bali" AKA "Memories in Bali" :S... It's sad since Bali is actually in my country. :P

Well, I think, "overrating" certain actress / actor not only happened in Korea. I've seen such things happened in my own county's dramas, some US TV Series (planning to boost rating, by taking certain young actress into the scenes).

Well, movies are still a business. So, well we have to be appreciating them, to make money out of their movies.

@arakira and Jav_sol
You're the second and third person. :D. Well, one of my cousin, happen to hate Brilliant Legacy as well.

For me, I think I like that movies, due to the morality in the movies. Maybe both of you haven't found a way to enjoy the movie :roll
A little bit spoiler,
* The Scene where Han Hyo Joo sells mandoo
* The Scene where Hyo Joo teach Lee Seung Gi how to face customers
* The Scene where Lee Seung Gi sees the suffering of an old couple that is so happy to have their Beef Soup delivered.

Well... I can still remember this 3 moments without watching the movies. I did really cry in the first and last moment. Well, yes I think more of this words, and I'll turn this into BL's Discussion

:lol :lol :D

About Shin Mi Ah, her acting in early episodes in Gumiho is quite brilliant I think, but... somehow, I feel the 10++ episode feels kinda weird :S... I can't really explain.

@Issy
About the old actresses, I think most of the actresses survived to this stage, are most likely having exceptional acting skills, since face is no longer a weapon to get into a movie.
Too bad, since I'm really really new (Well I think I've only watched about 15 or so K-Drama movies, not so much I think) in K-Dramas.

But, I did realize Lee Soon Jae, has played quite number of roles, in movies I watched. I was quite surprised when I saw his Dramawiki page... He has played in lotsa dramas :roll

So I guess, I'll make this Grandpa my favourite actor. His best acting IMO, would be either the Grandpa role in Beethoven Virus or the grandpa role in Vineyard Man.

Oh Man Suk, was not a bad actor as well. I read a review about him about Vineyard Man. The review has a great praise for him. And... The writer was a girl. Her quote will be

"He's the man every girl wants as a husband."

A quote that makes me ends up watching Vineyard Man :D

I think I made it quite long :whistling:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 19th, '10, 18:02

Ok. Time for a proper welcome then. Welcome to the thread, K4mu1. :D It's so nice to have more men watching kdrama and being so active in conversations. Enjoy yourself here.

So, to add to the count/poll, I also like Ha Ji Won very much. Never seen her in anything (that I remember), but she won me over here. She seems talented and she seems versatile.

As for Brilliant Legacy, I also hate it, with a passion. I just didn't like the cast or story and think the leading lady was crying way too much, which made me numb to her tears quickly.
I can't judge her as an actress since I haven't seen her in anything else, but she just didn't impress me there. Well, not much did, to be honest, so it's not my kind of series, I guess.
And no worries about BL discussion. We're kind of experts at anything naughty or taboo for Korean television and more. Ahaha. Expect lots of teasing though. We're bad girls. :whistling:

About the discussion on actresses, I think that dramas are very limited in the characters they show so many actresses can't show their worth or just don't have it, in such series.
Meaning, we have the same types of characters over and over and women seem to be chosen based on looks and not talent. And they can't become better when all roles are similar.

Which is why I liked Coffee House quite a lot. The "Grandpa" you talk about K4mu1 is also there. Coffee House brought some things I find refreshing compared to other shows.
For one, the main character does not end up with the leading girl who is always the same loud and childish (and mostly annoying and dumb) kind of a woman. Rather, girl.
Also, the other woman, the pretty and successful one is usually either too delicate and proper or a complete b*tch. Or both. In Coffee House, she's serious, but fun at the same time.

My point is, when it comes to rom-com series, it's very hard to spot real talent. Also, because such series are for young women, emphasis is given on the male characters.
That also doesn't help since they take the spotlight a bit too much and the female leads can't be too good compared to them. Even some rom-coms have good female leads though.

P.S: Jang Keun Suk is a dire topic for many of us here, but we are all agreed that Beethoven Virus was his best work and best role. He really did an excellent job there.

Edit: After a few minutes, I managed to get my tongue off the screen long enough to post these.

Now excuse me. I need to take a dip in the snow. Thank goodness we have a lot. But before that, I read that it's Ji Hwan who is the lead and not Phillip. Either way, I'll like it.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 19th, '10, 20:12

Oh jeezas, an earring!! JKS would kill for the one that long... ekhem... just sayin'...

Oh my, no one mentioned me in my furious hate for Brilliant Legacy? Damn, this series was so worthless.

And yes, we are real b*tches, if anyone is able to keep up with us longer than for a month we award this person with a silver wreath. If anyone manages to keep up for 3 months... ah well, that person is a b*tch too...

Korean pic "Haunters" sold to 7 countries, including Germany and Netherlands. Wheew, Europe is appearing on the map...
<-- the title of the movie we knew as Psychic, with Mr. Creepy. Well, Mr. Creepy went to the military training yesterday, keke...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 19th, '10, 23:11

And I just realized, I've seen Ha Ji Won before. She did feel oddly familiar. "Phone". Although that little girl was so damn creepy and good that I didn't notice anyone else. Ahaha!

K4mu1

Post by K4mu1 » Nov 20th, '10, 02:30

Okay... Now I'm scared :D...

No hard feelings girls. But you should stop scaring people :D...

@Orion and Ethlenn
About Brilliant Legacy, I think I understand why you guys hate it now. Well, since I'm no "pro" I don't think I can really keep up about understanding those crying. Well, everyone has their own opinion over anything right :). So, I'll keep your opinions in mind :roll .

I'll try to see Coffee House.

And... Don't worry, I'll try to stick to this thread as long as possible. But, I can't really promise to give certain comment, since I don't think I have anything to say anymore for now :mrgreen:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 20th, '10, 12:34

K4mu1 wrote:Okay... Now I'm scared :D...

No hard feelings girls. But you should stop scaring people :D...

And... Don't worry, I'll try to stick to this thread as long as possible. But, I can't really promise to give certain comment, since I don't think I have anything to say anymore for now :mrgreen:
Haha don't get scared, we don't usually bite :mrgreen:

No need to feel forced to comment, just drop by whenever you feel you wanna comment or chat.

When I got into korean drama, I enjoyed some series others found very boring - guess it was cause I was new and not used to the repetitive patterns yet. And some series might be weak but I love them cause they played the right strings for me. Tastes varry, no need to feel bad for what you love, right XD

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 20th, '10, 12:37

arakira wrote:Haha don't get scared, we don't usually bite :mrgreen:
And if we do, trust me, you'll be "trained" to enjoy it by then... :whistling:

aility

Post by aility » Nov 20th, '10, 12:39

Just dropping in to say that I have missed you ladies, that I will download SG now. That I still need to recover from my freakish 8 hours trip to get home last night. So I will just enjoy Hyunbin in the meanwhile and will try to come back stronger than ever next week!!!!

@K4mu1, WELCOME!!! :cheers:

K4mu1

Post by K4mu1 » Nov 21st, '10, 05:28

Nah LOL... I didn't really mean you girls bite... But, from what you girls says, it's obvious you girls bites indeed xD...

Yea... Repetitive pattern. I don't really meet those, since I tried to get away from it. I find out whether I've been watching this kind of drama before. And when I got bored, I end up stop watching that dramas.

One of the victim, will be Chuno / Slave Hunter... I find it really really boring. :(... Well, it's for me though, since one of my friend watched it till the end.

I also enjoyed Pasta, (a cooking MBC Movie), I found it kinda entertaining, because of Choi Hyun Wook (Lee Sun Gyun), he's a hell kinda chef LOL.

For me, talking to you ladies gives me some new dimension of K-Drama. Especially, how you girls see the guys O_o....

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 21st, '10, 11:02

Ahaha. Well, we are healthy young women who are attracted to men so it's natural we drool over the handsome ones.
Good thing with us, though, is that, no matter how handsome a guy is, we can judge his acting separately and fairly.

So even if we fangirl and "kyaa" alot, you can trust our recommendations on male actors as well. As far as talent goes. :wink:

And Lee Sun Gyun is priceless indeed. Good actor for the types of things that he does. A solid, consistent guy. Very nice.

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 21st, '10, 13:05

One of the victim, will be Chuno / Slave Hunter... I find it really really boring. ... Well, it's for me though, since one of my friend watched it till the end.
:O
OH MY, OH MY, boring? Chuno????
don't worry. i'm not biting (this time :mrgreen: ) but for me Chuno is one the best dramas ever made.
just to say that there are some die hard Chuno fans on this thread. E-chan is away so i have to defend it on my own. :whistling:

but still, respecting your opinion.

OK, i think i'm getting obsessed with another drama to a dangerous level again . Gloria :cheers:
started watching it on friday and from its first moments i fell in love with it. i just can't have enough of it. on ep8 now and still got 22 more eps to see and ongoing.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 21st, '10, 13:45

K4mu1 wrote: One of the victim, will be Chuno / Slave Hunter... I find it really really boring. :(... Well, it's for me though, since one of my friend watched it till the end.

I also enjoyed Pasta, (a cooking MBC Movie), I found it kinda entertaining, because of Choi Hyun Wook (Lee Sun Gyun), he's a hell kinda chef LOL.

For me, talking to you ladies gives me some new dimension of K-Drama. Especially, how you girls see the guys O_o....
Hehe I also dropped Chuno *hides very well behing mr creepy*
I like both leads, and I even liked the first few eps of this drama but then...either I couldn't take all that testosterone and those abs anymore or I got bored with the story, not sure :whistling:

And I think we all love Lee Sun Gyun. We usually call him "the Voice" as Orion said, he's a solid actor and I gotta say, I really fell for his voice in Coffee Prince. I was rooting more for him than for the main couple ;) but then...I tend to go for ahjusshis :P

Issy, once you cooled down, tell me more about Gloria once you get to the middle of it ;), I was thinking bout trying this one or Giant out soon. But right now, I am hooked on "thank you" and ofc Secret Garden. :wub:

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 21st, '10, 14:19

@Ara-chan
:lol but still, the fan service in Chuno is much more classier than some other fan-service we know :whistling: I did not mind that at all. but i had my eyes glued on STH beautiful face so really did not take notice of anything else. :mrgreen:

as for Gloria
as you know i am hopeless romantic and any romantic story just attracts me. i can't wait till the middle to tell you if it is good or not but reading all reviews and threads about it, i think it is one unnoticed drama of this season which deserves much more attention than it's actually getting. loving the characters and acting. i did not have any favourite actor as a reason to start watching but reading about it on and on, really made me interested. and as i said, from its first minutes i liked it alot. and it is one of those dramas that i am doing FFing when i am watching. loving every scene.

and Secret Garden, OF COURSE, this is another obsession of mine.
:wub:

K4mu1

Post by K4mu1 » Nov 21st, '10, 14:53

I think my reason is somehow quite similar with arakira.

I liked the first episodes... It's about episode 14, then I began to feel... Quite bored. I can't stop yawning till episode 16.... Then, I stopped watching at 18. Well... It's too bad, since it was "this close"

The problem is surely not related to the genre, I watch some other Korean Historical movies.

Right now I'm watching "The Book Of Three Han : The Chapter Of Joomong"

I kinda enjoyed this movie.

Also watched Dong Yi till the end. Although, I almost end up like Chuno (Dropping in the middle), since I got bored starting around episode 42.

About Lee Sun Gyun in Coffee Prince, I find him kinda great, but not as good as the "Chef" LOL. His voice, are quite manly (I found some guys with this voice was adored by the girls in Senior High School classes as well), so yes, maybe he's quite a charm for some girls, even for those who don't want to admit.

About his consistency, yes I think what he acts, is what he is.

Well, I myself, was kinda capable of separating "Beautiful Faces" and "Beaufitul Acting".
Since, like some of you said Hyo Joo, is still far off the good acting, I'll adjust this decision slowly. (I wanted to say Go Eun Seung Stepmother was kinda good, but since you girls are no fans of Brilliant Legacy, I think I should find another)

But for me, maybe the only one I find beautiful for me right now will be SNSD's Im Yoon Ah. Although, I feel her personality, is quite dangerous one. (No Offenses to SNSD fans, but I rarely wrong on these xD)

I guess I write another long comments...

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Nov 23rd, '10, 02:09

K4mu1 wrote:@arakira and Jav_sol
You're the second and third person. :D. Well, one of my cousin, happen to hate Brilliant Legacy as well.
I just felt it was a boring show, completely unoriginal.
K4mu1 wrote:One of the victim, will be Chuno / Slave Hunter... I find it really really boring.
Agreed, I didn't like either of the leads. :roll
K4mu1 wrote:I also enjoyed Pasta, (a cooking MBC Movie), I found it kinda entertaining, because of Choi Hyun Wook (Lee Sun Gyun), he's a hell kinda chef LOL.
When Gong Hyo Jin & Lee Sun Gyun were on screen, it was good. All other times, I felt like fast forwarding.