Sungkyunkwan Scandal (KBS2 , 2010)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 10th, '10, 13:55

I need some screenshots to motivate me, ladies. I'm still at episode 7. The whole archery thing is just boring me and I need a reason to start watching it again soon. Help. :P

I will finish this series even if I'll have to tie myself to the bed to watch it! Although I'd rather someone else do the tying... And more... Err, never mind! I mean I'm gonna watch it!

aility

Post by aility » Nov 10th, '10, 14:03

Orion1986 wrote:I need some screenshots to motivate me, ladies. I'm still at episode 7. The whole archery thing is just boring me and I need a reason to start watching it again soon. Help. :P

I will finish this series even if I'll have to tie myself to the bed to watch it! Although I'd rather someone else do the tying... And more... Err, never mind! I mean I'm gonna watch it!
Aww Orion, you dont have to watch it love, if you dont like it!!! You have my permission to stop watching it ;)

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 10th, '10, 14:06

But I want tooo. You've all watched it and I feel vewy wonewy (very lonely). :P I have to watch it for my unnies (and dongsaeng)!!! :rambo:

aility

Post by aility » Nov 10th, '10, 14:22

Orion1986 wrote:But I want tooo. You've all watched it and I feel vewy wonewy (very lonely). :P I have to watch it for my unnies (and dongsaeng)!!! :rambo:
Aiyaa... you all have watched other dramas/movies that I havent seen. Just take your time, watch something else and then go back to SKKS when you feel in the mood ^^

I havent even started on Mary :whistling: Or My girlfriend is a Gumiho... :whistling:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 10th, '10, 18:39

@Aili, you pretty much sumed it up.
The details on the wedding are such relevant to the story as the statistics on zebras perishing in the 18th century. They did marry, who cares who attended or not?
And what's wrong with an open question on whether students knew she was a woman or not? I like when books or movies leave some space to the interpretation and imagination.

About Norons: read few books, or articles. Their power shrinked.

As Aili said, during the whole drama we knew that Blinky was set only on Chosun, and everything fell upon him in one day, so it's just normal he acted that way. He was underdevelopped, true, but I'm not sure if it was because of the script or even an actor himself.

The King: as you may know the history, the new Joseon didn't come. King didn't move the capital to Suwon. He lied about GDJS, he destroyed it. Not him, not Norons had any reason to oppose. State Minister approved of his son's relationship, thus no reason to make a fuss, and Minister of War was punished, and by the Kings words on GDJS "not being preserved" his one and only asset was destroyed. And that asset would be a thread over King for admitting a girl to SKK, to put it plainly.
After being sent to prison you have no power, no friends, no ties? How Minister could plot anything when even his own son acted up against him? He betrayed everyone.
Ending was rushed, sure, but when all the cast gets 2 hours of sleep a day and barely no food you think about ending it as soon as those humans can actually make some sound still.
But there wasn't that much illogical things in it, it was well thought drama, paying the attention to minor historical facts even.

@Orion, love: you can drop it, seriously. I knew this drama is not for you^^ The same way Mary is not for me. Ah hell, naw!! :mrgreen:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 10th, '10, 19:47

Ethlenn
Being rushed here but want to thank you for those two links.
I was fascinated by the fact that Prince Sado was so cruelly killed by his own father and now he rests with his wife in a beautiful and revered tomb. I watched this in another drama ...maybe...Yi-San. not sure and to see his son weeping by the side of the not so large chest where Prince Sado was dying has stayed in my memory very vividly. To think this could actually happen seemed so vicious. What did the father really feel for his own son to torture him this way. Incredible. Why kill his own son? why not remove the faction causing the trouble in the court.

I really do admire the Korean people for their respect for the past and the way they rebuild things exactly as possible. Those historic places are really magnificent and the details of how and why and what they mean is still alive and fresh.

History in Korea is not dead history in books is it.

janajee

Post by janajee » Nov 10th, '10, 21:20

@Ate Orion; It gets better and better (at least it did for me), especially after episode 10 or was it 11, I have horrible memory, but it does get better, if you would accept that as motivation. Hahahahahaha.

So I searched for some SKKS pictures last night right, and I saw a gif where
THEY KISSED! SHE KISSED HIM! I'm so pumped up to watch that scene now!!! Hahahahahah, I'm really happy that she got together with SJ, I mean even though Jaeshin is pretty cool and stuff, but SJ... Jaeshin is the obvious sexy one, but SJ has a certain quality that oozes with appeal. He's like a little conservative boy who has no idea about girls or anything about it (HE'S WORSE THAN I AM! Hahahaha). Hehehehehehehehehhe. Yong Ha is still my number one favorite but only because he's such a fun character that you can't help but love the guy.... there was this part in ep 12, when he was telling Jaeshin that they couldn't find Daemul, AND THAT WHOLE pretending to cry, tongue sticking out and then giving Jaeshin a flying kiss thing that he did? That pretty much sums it all up for me
It's really is such a cute drama :)

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 10th, '10, 22:44

I'm too in love with this drama to write much, lemme just say I love the ending.

It's a happy one, but if anybody watched this and wanted a tragic end i'd ask them to talk to a therapist :P
I really liked the way they finished it. Sure there were some weak parts, but nothing defies logic or is just completely unbelievable/sudden change.

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 11th, '10, 00:11

:scratch: I don't seem to find my subs for last eps. :blink

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Nov 11th, '10, 02:17

@ Aility and Ethlenn
Regarding the wedding reference, I was typing quickly before going to work and maybe didn't elaborate enough. It's not like I actually wanted to see the wedding or wanted to know the details regarding it (I'm actually surprised that both of you would actually think I would carea bout that). I used it as a reference as to how unlikely it would be for Yoonhe to hide her gender going forward. If there was a wedding, her friends were likely to attend (as well as her family/sick brother). If her friends at the school attended then they would obviously know that she was a female. Even the possibility of her pretending to be the younger sister of Yoonshik would be unlikely. If that were the case the friends would question why Yoonshik would not attend his own sister's wedding.

I do feel that the whole king's decision thing was rushed, not just the actual act but everything surrounding it. A scene of the king's anger, a quick scene of appeal and then the conclusion. While tidy, it made me feel nothing. Too easy. I can't provide any further justification because it's just how I felt (or didn't feel).

The president was a spiteful character throughout the series. He hated to lose. While Cho Sun's love for Yoonhe added to his hatred, he wanted Yoonhe and LSJ gone long before. His spite and his desire to win are reason enough to expose her. I mean based on his personality, him losing everything would be motivation for him to expose her out of spite. While I do think his love for Cho Sun and realizing his father was a jerk to her could have changed his mindset, my mind still doesn't buy in that he would change that fast. This is what I think based on "just using my common sense."
Haha...remind me not to post any negative opinions...
Last edited by JiveTalkinRobot on Nov 11th, '10, 06:08, edited 2 times in total.

janajee

Post by janajee » Nov 11th, '10, 04:02

I'm in the middle of 13 (taking a break from studying from my entrance exam)
WHY? Why SJ, why would you ask Blinky's sister to marry you? WHY? What possessed you to do something like that? WHY? I mean I know it's weird for you to like a guy, but why would you ask someone you don't even like to marry you?! WHY? You need to find out that she's a girl soon. LIKE REALLY SOON, so that you can kiss Daemul! Please tell me this madness of them being all awkward around each other like this would end soon. Please end soon.

Also I kinda feel sorry for that dude who's one of Blinky's cronies. Blinky is such a jerk. I feel sorry for anyone related to him. Except maybe for the sister. She's just really annoying
Edited:
I just finished it... and I fell off my chair when SJ said he was gay. You know the part where they show what's going to happen in the next episode. OWH MY GAWSH. That is just... How am I supposed to stop watching now? OWH NOOOOOES. He is going to admit that he likes Yoon Shik!!! I'm going to die. Hahahahah

aility

Post by aility » Nov 11th, '10, 08:28

@JiveTalkingRobot

hahah...sorry if my reply earlier seemed a bit harsh. you are entitled to express your opinions, and of course disagree with me on the take of SKKS! So, dont worry about posting negative opinions, that is what makes the discussion more fun!

PS: we dont bite... that hard :mrgreen:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 11th, '10, 08:31

Negative opinions are OK, I'm fine with those, I take them on my daily basis (no jokes). Aility as well... But we all agreed here, and even the main cast/writers and producers that the ending was rushed, so they couldn't elaborate on everything. GDJS was added by a writer herself, and it looks like the political intrigue devoured even her and she didn't have time enough to explain everything. But, we are missing here something. A minute in the drama may mean 3 days, we just have to take the relativity of time. So Yunhee could be held captive by the King for a week. So King had time to consider.

Just quick question: how many friends Yunhee had? I can count up to 3, and they all knew about her gender. Plus, I think all SKK knew about it after King got to know, it was just not shown.

Issy, I posted them here like, 2 pages back, or 3. If not, give me a sign on msn.

And ladies, I apologize, I was supposed to tak a nap yesterday, but I woke up today at 8 am. Mianhae, mianhamnida...

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Nov 11th, '10, 17:47

I started watching this today and I'm at ep 4 so far I'm loving it but I have question in future event (to me) :whistling:
Lee Sun Joon and Ha In Soo will get friends soon or still hating each other till the end ??

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 11th, '10, 17:51

No, no friends later on. :whistling:
It's not this kind of drama.

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Nov 11th, '10, 17:56

too bad ..they could make good gang :scratch:
anyway thanks for answering E-chan :)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 11th, '10, 17:58

Ah, with Blinky??
Unless he started to blink - yes. In any other circumstances - not a chance.

Sure, love^^ :mrgreen:

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Nov 12th, '10, 03:34

Ethlenn wrote:Negative opinions are OK, I'm fine with those, I take them on my daily basis (no jokes). Aility as well... But we all agreed here, and even the main cast/writers and producers that the ending was rushed, so they couldn't elaborate on everything. GDJS was added by a writer herself, and it looks like the political intrigue devoured even her and she didn't have time enough to explain everything. But, we are missing here something. A minute in the drama may mean 3 days, we just have to take the relativity of time. So Yunhee could be held captive by the King for a week. So King had time to consider.

Just quick question: how many friends Yunhee had? I can count up to 3, and they all knew about her gender. Plus, I think all SKK knew about it after King got to know, it was just not shown.

Issy, I posted them here like, 2 pages back, or 3. If not, give me a sign on msn.

And ladies, I apologize, I was supposed to tak a nap yesterday, but I woke up today at 8 am. Mianhae, mianhamnida...
Well..yeah... that was my opinion...that it felt rushed and could have been more polished. I understand that they were probably hustling, burnt out and they had to rush the ending. As a viewer, the net result for me was a ending that felt rushed which detracts from my opinion of it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the series.

I also understand that they couldn't elaborate everything, nor do I think they should, however it could have been done more "cleanly." A majority of the conclusions require pretty large leaps of logic. You have to assume a lot of things to make single scenario work.

To answer the "friends" question, I counted a large part of SKK as her friends by the end. Whether a strong friendship or a weak bond, they were friends...
It's not easy to assume that the world has changed to the point where everyone would accept that a female was in SKK without punishment. Remember the King gave up on his dream to keep this a secret.

If you assume that SKK knew, you would then have to assume that they were all supportive of it (historically they were not that supportive and turned their backs on the main characters when things were exposed...gay...not a noble...) and would keep it a secret..especially if you don't consider them her "friends" with a strong bond.

If you assume that the world did change to the point to where she was accepted and even became a professor, you would have to assume that it was eventually exposed, then you would have to assume that everyone (including those of the Noron party) was ok with it (which is a large paradigm shift), you would also have to assume that the new King or leader was ok with it (considering that you assume that the King is no longer alive). etc etc etc

Lots of assumptions have to be made and some of them are pretty far fetched.

janajee

Post by janajee » Nov 12th, '10, 03:49

Still watching episode 17
I am dying. I just, it was just so awesome. I'm sorry... but tell me no one found that whole taking their hats off while in lift thing sexy? That was just... so awesome. It was sweet, simple and refreshing. I just had to say it... This is why I love SJ. This is why I love this drama, because it has scenes like these. KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~
I really have to say thanks to you Ates here, because you guys are pretty much awesome-pants for talking about it so much that I gave it a shot, and then I LOVED IT and I died loving it at every episode!

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 12th, '10, 05:03

I'm with you janajee. I am thoroughly enjoying this drama and I am still only watching the end of the Archery and the start of her taking her blissful private bath. I suppose next episode will be eventful as our Jaeshin is beginning to hiccup in the vicinity and you know the precious one will be hovering after telling her where the private place was in the school.

I like the background of history and the culture and the ever present possiblility that it will all blow up and heads will literally roll. After all it's that time in history when a few heads would never be missed.

In the meantime we have the pretty guys and the edginess of the secret of Yoonhee and the loving glances all over the place and sometimes out of place. But who is complaining? Not me.
Last edited by Peggy on Nov 12th, '10, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 12th, '10, 14:56

Eh, well, if we want a documentary on Joseon, I'm trying my best to provide some. This is a drama, some idiocies and incoherencies stay, especially with rushing toward the end. I don't find much illogical things in it though.

Peggy, I'm sorry I didn't anwer you earlier, glad you liked the links.
Yes, this drama showed that history in Korea is a living tissue, not just a book in the library, useless and proping up another book.
The values that this drama showed were important back then, 200 years ago, and are important, maybe even more, now, in our times when the contacts with people are limited just to text-messaging and tweets.

If you want:
Sungkyunkwan Scandal (DVD) (12-Disc) (English Subtitled) (Re-edited Uncut Version) (End) (KBS TV Drama) (First Press Limited Edition) (Korea Version) DVD Region 3 (Damn it, damn it, damn it!!!!)
Release Date: 2010-12-30
Price: 159$
This edition includes the following special features:
# Deleted Scenes
# Music Re-edit
# Scenes with Cast Commentary
# Park Yoo Chun Interview
# Park Min Young Interview
# Song Joong Ki Interview
# Yu Ah In Interview
# Director Interview
# Outtakes Collection
# Making Collection
YesAsia
Last edited by Ethlenn on Nov 12th, '10, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 12th, '10, 15:03

:O
OH GOSH, THIS IS SOOOO TEMPTING. :goggle:
i need to find some more work ASAP. :crazy:

Edit: just saw the price :faint:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 12th, '10, 15:18

Yes, I know, the price just killed me, but... but... deleted scenes, the interviews, the NG, the making of... :faint:
Shiit, I need to start working as a lap dancer I guess in a club for blind people. I need money! :hissy:

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 12th, '10, 15:40

Ethlenn wrote:Yes, I know, the price just killed me, but... but... deleted scenes, the interviews, the NG, the making of... :faint:
Shiit, I need to start working as a lap dancer I guess in a club for blind people. I need money! :hissy:
lol for dancing for blind people club.
if you can bear it longer, they always go down on price later on. unless they get sold out completely but somehow i don't see it much happening considering its rating. it happened with my Chuno dvds when there was near;y 40% off its original price 1-2 months later when was out. i was going to cry. :doh: :hissy: :cry:

shintee

Post by shintee » Nov 12th, '10, 15:50

joong ki is just lovely! in the first eppy I watched, was like is that a girl or guy or...oh I don't know!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 12th, '10, 15:50

Oh, really?
I'm patient. I will wait. I love SKKS, but I would like to eat something too^^ :wub:
Thanks for telling me that^^

Aaand the part we like the most... interviews!
Yu Ah-in interview Part 1
Yu Ah-in interview Part 2
Yu Ah-in interview Part 3

I find it darling that he confessed he separated himself from the young cast at the beginning cause he didn't find them "actors". At least he's honest.

Especially this part:
10: Won't that change since we live in times where even actors are changing?
Yoo: I do feel that it's changing. But the problem is that young actors or singers adjust themselves to the system they're in. As if it's only natural. The young kids are thinking, 'This is what celebrities should do, they should smile and act like this, and celebrities have to wear hats that look like this...' I think it's very, extremely bad to get into this business before establishing your moral standards. That's why I wish young people wouldn't become celebrities at a young age. I too wouldn't if I could go back to being young. Also, it's almost impossible to establish a real sense of your self. Some people may say I regard work too lightly which they're right about. My work is not serious compared to my life and even more so compared to the real life I live as a human being. So whoever wants to become a celebrity, I hope they starts with the thought that becoming a happy person comes before becoming a happy actor. I just want everyone to be happy.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 12th, '10, 18:33

Wow, thanks for those links!

And, what a nice quote. It's quite something for him, being also a rather young and inexperienced actor still, to talk about young celebrities attitudes like this. I love the wise phrases about not taking work more serious than your life and about personal happiness. I hope many aspiring actors ans musicians will read them and take them to heart. Hwaiting, Yu Ein, may you find happiness in life ;)

Off to read the rest of the interview . . .

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 12th, '10, 19:10

Well, I found all the interview a bit coccky, but I guess it's his way. He's not too humble, but he knows he's not a top actor yet, and he admits he wants to be a person that in 10 years times he doesn't have to be ashamed of. This is nice.
Still, I'm under the spell of Yucheon's interview, mianhae :whistling:

Wish every actor could do their job the way as some others do. With regarding the future and the entire population, not just a narrow demographic.
Or maybe it's me going senile? :whistling:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 12th, '10, 20:31

Hmm, there were some coccky passages, but not about his acting or looks but about him thinking about life, society and stuff and like others should also use their brains more ;) Well I think he's right and I also think he's quite bold to mention these things like work hours, agency matters, wanting to enjoy himself and to stay true to his beliefs etc but also that he speaks about the times when he had troubles with himself and the world or about family issues.

And then, a man in his early 20ies has to be a bit coccky and also a bit too idealistic to be cool :lol

What I really liked was that apart from admitting jaeshin wasn't 100% and when he said he wants to keep learning and keep searching for happiness while upholding his personal values and ethics - even if it means taking a slow career path and having troubles with stations/agencies etc.

Hwaiting, Yu Ahin...and I really wonder how 'ein' reminds one of being unique, it's just a neutral article, like 'a' in English...would you wanna name yourself 'a' I wonder?!? ;)
Last edited by arakira on Nov 14th, '10, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 12th, '10, 21:10

What a crafty language play, chingu ya!! :whistling:

Yes, I liked this interview because he even once didn't mention his looks. He doesn't rely on it that much. I know, he knows, everyone knows that this is an important part in an actor's life, but one shouldn't submit his whole life to this and solely this.

Yes, man in his 20s can be a bit coccky, this I can stand, if he has grounds for that. What I can't stand is vanity. Good he didn't display in it.

PS. there is a rumor about another period drama with Ah-in next year.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 12th, '10, 21:59

What an interesting young man. He is a fatalist I think. The only thing I would wish for him is a lighter sense of who he is and a good sense of humour. He looks at his life too seriously for one so young. Of course at 25 life is serious for most young men. My husband married me when he was 25 but he had already fought a long war and knew who he was for sure.

An actor is set apart from real life just because his agents and handlers don't let him live a real life. It takes a man of strong will to be like Ah-in who can keep himself the way he wants to be and still play different roles without losing himself.

I wonder what he will be like when he is 35. A better actor I think and probably a happier man.
Last edited by Peggy on Nov 13th, '10, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 13th, '10, 00:07

Ethlenn wrote:What a crafty language play, chingu ya!! :whistling:

Yes, I liked this interview because he even once didn't mention his looks. He doesn't rely on it that much. I know, he knows, everyone knows that this is an important part in an actor's life, but one shouldn't submit his whole life to this and solely this.

Yes, man in his 20s can be a bit coccky, this I can stand, if he has grounds for that. What I can't stand is vanity. Good he didn't display in it.

PS. there is a rumor about another period drama with Ah-in next year.
Another sageuks with YAI ? :O :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
this kid can do no wrong in my eyes. i'm so proud of my kids. :mrgreen: if only others also notice that you don't have to rely on your look to be considered a good actor. :whistling:
just love my JaeShin, off to see the last 2eps with subs. :P

Edit: the guy with pretty eyes is distracting too. :whistling:

Edit 2, did not see the whole ep raw before so you have to bear with me :mrgreen:
this is hard to believe. to find what you were looking for all this time (GDJS) was buried under SKK academy door, dig up that place, take out the box and start reading the whole paper all at the same time same place, with no one passing through or even asking what on earth you are doing? :scratch: how convenient. Tha't why it is called fiction. :whistling:

janajee

Post by janajee » Nov 13th, '10, 05:08

Finished it.

I just... I just... I can't... I just...
IT'S AN AWESOME AWESOME DRAMA. I loved the ending, and I don't care whatever happened, if it was rushed (I didn't feel it was rushed, I think it was just right), but what I absolutely loved about this drama is how everyone basically lived happily...

AND THAT LAST SCENE WITH THE RED BOOK.

Owh my gawsh, how awesome is that? He read the red book, and she was all how long are you planning to use that? AND THAT RIGHT THERE IS WHY I LOVE SJ. It was so so so so so good an ending. I love it, I love it
Ate ethlenn, you can definitely expect a really happy review coming on my blog for this drama :)

Edited: Ate Issy just wondering... is that man who is in your siggy... did that man appear in Fantasy Couple? My brother and I are watching it now... and we love the guy, because he's hilarious here... just wondering if it's him though. Hahahahaha

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 13th, '10, 08:16

OK, Issy got a say in this (reading, I was eww myself), but I do find burying GDJS under one of the SKK gates not silly, but crucial. It was actually the only place they could do that. There is this proverb in my tongue: "the darkest place in below the lamp". It was tricky. Jongmyo and temple were suspicious places from the beginning. If anyone was to suspect SKK, they most likely would search in Lecture Hall and Library.

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 13th, '10, 10:57

I don' find it silly at all. It actually makes sense too but what I find hard to believe is her finding it that way and conveniently. Just a way was acted. Digging that place and finding is one thing, sitting there and reading it page by page is another thing and the fact that not a person questioning her actions? I know this is a drama but I always pay attention to these little details.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 13th, '10, 11:17

Well, I was sure that Blinky will intercept her, seriously. It was all so put up together, him knowing she's a girl, and her reading, I was sure he will appear. But I guess it wasn't that frequently used gate, keke...
Still, as I said, I could pass those little things that bothered me. I also pay attention to details, but didn't find this so bothering so I could lose my sleep.

What bothers me are effects in King Geunchogo. I started this in a need for taeha drama, and... I will continue for the few actors in it and the story, and the fighting scenes, but some things were so unbelievable, so unrealistic I was a bit... you know...
:mrgreen:

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 13th, '10, 11:43

Oh believe me dear, I did NOT loose my sleep over it too. :mrgreen:

I was thinking of watching that drama but somehow lack of hot actors in its trailer was not very encouraging. :whistling:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 13th, '10, 11:53

Oh Issy, there is semi-naked (again) general Choi from Chuno, kekeke...
I like this part of the history, and since we got the story on Shilla (QSD) and Gaya (Kim Suro), now we have Baekje. So far Gam Wu Seong didn't disappoint me in anything, so... I will continue it for him, and few others, hehe^^

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 13th, '10, 12:21

Ethlenn wrote:Oh Issy, there is semi-naked (again) general Choi from Chuno, kekeke...
I like this part of the history, and since we got the story on Shilla (QSD) and Gaya (Kim Suro), now we have Baekje. So far Gam Wu Seong didn't disappoint me in anything, so... I will continue it for him, and few others, hehe^^
:O how did i missed him?
even though he is not really my favourite but as this is another sageuk, i guess i have to try it out then. :P

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 13th, '10, 22:39

You are all moving on to new dramas but I am still watching SKKS. We get two episodes per week and I am not inclined to watch online altho it is tempting.

I like the four leads and they represent different sides of humanbeings. At first I was not sure about Micky as he seemed a little stiff. Now he is getting to be more rounded and interesting.

Must admit I have a soft spot for Song Joonki. He is such a wicked one. Reminds me of a sort of Til Eulenspiegle of the Joseon era. Merry pranks all over the place. They could have used the music now and then when he was in action.

I think the actress is doing a fabulous job. Being the only girl with those gorgeous men, she must have felt very un-conspicuous in the male clothing. I am sure her time will come to wear female attire.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 14th, '10, 08:14

Park Minyeong did a very good job while portraying a man. She was also praised for that.
As for Yucheon... :faint:

And, Peggy, dear, we are moving to other dramas according to the maint leitmotif of SKKS - everything's changing. I'm sure we will visit frequently this thread though. I guess it would be a good place to put some other news on our Joseon Quartet^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 14th, '10, 18:15

I will be trailing around after you all whatever drama you are discussing. I am not one to worry about endings or spoilers. Always used to read the last chapter of a book first anyway.

I rerally think SKKS is one of those happy peaks in Kdrama. It has all the romance possibilities plus the rivalries and the plotting of the really wicked ones. Best of al it is in the Joseon era when the politics were involved and life was truly dangerous for the
nobles.

I am beginning to think this is one drama worth watching once again and on a regular basis.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 14th, '10, 18:26

I am usually not overly excited myself. Will wait 3 months and re-watch it again. If I feel the same what I feel now, this heart overbrimming with joy and happiness, I will consider this drama as great. Now I'm still under its spell. An enchanting, captivating drama.

And Peggy, really? From the last chapters? No, I never done that in my life. It kills all the anticipation :whistling:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 14th, '10, 18:35

Somehow it never upset my enjoyment when I started the first chapter. In fact many times the last chapter does not open up the story. I am talking about books that we had to read for Eng.Lit and they were heavy tomes at times.
I always remember having to read aloud from one book in class. I had already read the whole book and was very emotional about it. I managed not to weep but it was difficult. When I read it first at home I was really in tears and that had never happened to me before. I suppose I was at the age when hormones and emotions were going haywire. The book was the story of 'Scots' Last Expedition'. Courage, hardships and bravery etc.
I don't think I would be so affected now because I have lived a life. In those early days I was a blank page.
It was such a change from Shakespeare and the English poets etc.

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 14th, '10, 19:31

I loved SKKS but bearing in mind my favourite character story lines is not my favourite. So one time viewing is enough for me st the moment. Will transfer this drama to HDD (will free a massive space here on laptop because of it's huge HD size) and not sure whenever I will watch it again.
Some dramas have the privilege of staying here over long time :whistling:

Oh, I'm one of those who has to read the end or near ending of the book just to keep me interested. No matter how good the book is. I am so impatient :mrgreen: :whistling:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 15th, '10, 00:50

:-) Oh Issy

I am glad I am not the only strange one reading the endings. Actually I sometimes used to read the penultimate chapter and leave the last one.

There is at least one book that I don't ever remember reading the last chapter. It was called "The Source' I think. It was a long novel and it ripped away all my religious faith. It upset me so much that I could not finish the book. Slowly got myself upright again and had a very fresh viewpoint about my life.

I think the author was James somebody. It was a very long time ago. I used to admire him for his works and knowledge until I found that he had a large number of people who did nothing but intern for him and lived in libraries finding out details and of things he wanted. Tthey really did all the work and he just changed the paragraphs around and got the rewards.

I do know about interns and I do know that people have helpers to find information but not to such an extent.

I wonder about the libraries in Joseon. I suppose they have been used ever since to form documentaries and also dramas about that time.

janajee

Post by janajee » Nov 15th, '10, 01:13

I'm still waaaaay deep under it's spell. Hahahaha, me thinks watching it again and again isn't going to get me out of it.

I just have to say though that I'm a depends on the story kind of girl. If I really love the story, I'd read the ending, and it usually encourages me to continue, but if it's a mediocre story, I avoid reading the ending because when I do read it, :) I lose all passion to finish it because it wasn't the great to begin with, you know? Same with dramas.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 15th, '10, 16:39

A so-called Guerilla Interview in Entertainment Weekly last episode with SJG:
Female fans were close to being taken by the ambulance, keke

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 15th, '10, 18:12

SJG is also the co host of a music programme once a week. He is obviously himself and not playing a character.. therefore iit is really easy to see the difference in his whole persona when he was playing his role in SKKS. It does show his ability as an actor I think ,and that was quite impressive. He is much different as a co host and very pleasing.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 15th, '10, 21:47

Ecchan, this interview killed me. Only wish I could understand what my pet says there :P

Peg, yes I was stalking him a bit and watched some clips. Just thought what a nice young man! Really wanna see him act again soon.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 16th, '10, 08:13

He's simply cute. In a good way of this word, not faking cute.

He's hosting Music Bank every Friday evening.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 16th, '10, 12:38

You gotta love Yongha:
(and Jaeshin too^^)
NY showcase :wub: thanks to the nice soul who shared those^^
And you know I like my men in their most stupid/retarded version, right?

All images thanks to: SKKS DC Gallery^^

janajee

Post by janajee » Nov 16th, '10, 12:45

I love the pictures, i love them all.

I miss SKKS. awwww.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 16th, '10, 19:28

AHHH, ecchan...sending my mind all the way down to the g... as soon as I come home . . .

How am I supposed to be productive now?!? :faint:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 16th, '10, 22:37

It's quite a trend these days to have singers and/or musicians act in dramas. The surprising thing to me is that the newest ones are so good at acting. I see them every day as real life people doing their thing in music. Then a totally different image comes through when they take on a role in a drama. It is wonderful to see their talent for showing such a different side of themselves. They really can act, or at least they really can contrive to make us believe in the character they portray. I think it must show extremely good training in the Korean studios. Hard work all the time.

I am looking forward to seeing how Choi Minho does with his first entrance into acting in the one episode drama 'Pianist'. I have loved him since he was much younger and had long hair. He was such a good athlete on one of the challenge shows. Then he got hurt and was off for some time but still singing with his group SHIN-ee. Suddenly he reappeared... taller.. and with short hair... and he was a grown man. Such a change, but very sweet still.
He is a talented musician and composes for the group and is a rapper. Now they are giving him a step out into acting.
Nothing wasted in a Korean performer.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 16th, '10, 23:25

Hm, I agree with you on that, Korean entertainers are usually trained in singing, dancing and entertaining, too. They are mostly multitalents and you can see the hard work they must have put in for years, and I guess some, like yucheon are natural talents and fast learners. But I'm not sure about all those idols starting to come out in damas...especially the girls tend to be quite annoying... Good luck to Minho, hope he'll join the ranks of those with talent^^

But, Song Jung Ki isn't a musician, right? I thought he's always wanted to become an actor and just happened to come out as a music show host on TV, too?? Or am I wrong about him? Does he make music,too?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 17th, '10, 05:36

Meh, I'm not impressed by Minho by any means. This kid is simply not my style.

And the LEOPRINT, the hero of the last weeks of 2010!!
Long day ahead... aigoo...

janajee

Post by janajee » Nov 17th, '10, 05:49

That in my most humble opinion is cutie in leoprint XD Hahahahaha

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 17th, '10, 18:49

Don't really know if Song Jung Ki is or was in music. It seems they all do a little something with music but at this time I think he wants acting. I was impressed with his presentation in SKKS. Well I should say I am still impressed as I am still watching at about ep.8 or 9. I always miss the beginning roll so not sure. Also last night I did not see the reason for YoonHee being accused of being a thief and selling of the medicines. what started that ??

I really am enjoying this drama so much.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 17th, '10, 19:20

Oh, Peggy, Yunhee was nowhere to be found when the thievery thing occured in SKK. No one saw her, so no one could verify it wasn't her.
Plus, they found her name tag (the wooden thingy) in the pharmacy when someone sold the medicine there. And medicine, as everyone knew after the scene that Blinky performed, was very much needed item for her. It was all linked to her, naturally.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 17th, '10, 20:25

Ah many thanks Ethlenn. I could follow to an extent but did not know how her name tag was found in the pharmacy. Dirty work at the crossroads of course. Must say the Minister's son is a real mean villain. He has no redeeming features at all. How can he stand those awful cronies who brown nose him all the time. He does not exactly have an elegant air or taste in life.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 17th, '10, 20:29

Which Minister? From the description you mean Blinky, but my heart stopped when I thought of besmirching Seonjun's name...
:wub:

And yes, Blinky is such a hollow villain, true...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 17th, '10, 23:07

Oh yes I mean Blinky. Wasn't his father Minister of something or other. He is a villain as well and trying to track down the Red Writer and now Yun Hee. if I am not mistaken;.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 18th, '10, 08:26

But yes, of course. I just had a bit of heart attack, because SJ is also a Minister's son, so...
Blinky's father was Minister of War.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 18th, '10, 21:10

No way you could besmirch SunJun's name. He is so obviously upright and on the right track in life. In fact he is the only one who could get him in trouble and then he would be acting as his upright honest self....

Lovely long and probably ungrammatical sentence.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 18th, '10, 21:57

And he did, my dear Peggy, he did...
Image credited as stated
Beware, pics are big.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 18th, '10, 23:00

Big is the word indeed. I must say that I have not as yet, found a more pleasing group of young actors in any drama. They are all so good looking, or maybe I should say..they are all so good to look at that you feel very mellow when you see them. Photos all do them justice.

Well I just hope that Seunjun does not tie himself down to the silly young sister of Blinky. He is such a knight in shining armour he would probably try to save her honour or whatever she is throwing around.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 18th, '10, 23:06

Well, he will try to save her "perfectly decribed by Peggy attitude", but in the end, it will be her who understands her situation. Yes, she's annoying, yes, she's stupid and takes everything what falls upon him as her doing (and for her), but she will end everything up with grace. With some help of Yongha. But well, he's Gu Yong Ha. :whistling:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 18th, '10, 23:41

That sounds a happy situation. Well I thought from the start that she was impressed by his attitude and not that she fell madly in love with him. I think she is not accustomed to having gentle and refined men in her life. Just look at her father. Even tho he indulges her he is not exactly a good man. And Blinky...sigh.

She will realise I suppose, that she is almost entrapping a worthy man who will abide by his word and she will see that she can't make him do that. that at least is what I imagine. Some of his shining goodness wil find a responding chord within her I think. Gu Yong Ha will surely rearrange the whole pattern. Just the thing he can do so well.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 19th, '10, 11:17

Well, the problem with Hoeun is that she was raised (yes, raised, as the animal) as the future wife and mother. This is why she read only sappy romance novels, and on top of that she was spoiled. If she met with a man like her brother, her illusions would be shattered much earlier. But Seonjun was breeding, he couldn't make her a jilted woman, not to ruin her reputation and future. For us, accustomed to being left and to leaving without a slightest thought of it, this may seem weird. But for an upright man that he was, this was unthinkable. He was always thinking ahead, about every possible outcome.

She couldn't see the reason behind his coldness almost till the very end. She placed her in the centre of his world and problems. She was ready to wait till he "learns to love her". Her desperation to keep him was maybe annoying, but also true.

janajee

Post by janajee » Nov 19th, '10, 11:28

LOOKIE! Yuchun in glasses

Awwwwww XD I just saw it on the Philippines Yahoo website and I just had to share that they even had this whole free concert thing in the US, and that's just so sweet of them. XD[/url]

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 19th, '10, 11:31

Yes, I uploaded the concert here. It's because of visa problems and of course, in my opinion, behind everything stands SM Entertainment.
Thanks for a link, love.

But wait, did I miss something or I need my glasses changed? Where's the bling, whre's the leoprint that, supposedly, every artist has to wear?? Where?? Boys just blew it... The clothes, man... not girly at all..
Last edited by Ethlenn on Nov 19th, '10, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

janajee

Post by janajee » Nov 19th, '10, 11:34

I was just so surprised when I saw it on the Yahoo Philippines, plus I can't resist cause he's got glasses. I haven't heard much of from JYJ, but I love Yuchun, hehehehhe, so anything that JYJ does, is amazing for me. Hahahahaha XD

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 19th, '10, 11:37

Trust me, nothing in music that JYJ does is amazing *hides*
But off-music they are fine. They don't record a song for a charity, but give cheques...

Omo, I'm bashing many wonderful artists who record a song for some organisations?
Hell yeah, sue me!

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 19th, '10, 11:40

Btw, I haven't given up on this. Just looking for the opportune moment to watch. Ahaha. I will watch it to the end cause now I'm curious. No. Not only about the red book. :whistling: