Marry me, Mary! (KBS2 2010-2011)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
janajee

Post by janajee » Dec 22nd, '10, 15:49

I'm just finished episode 11

I'm thoroughly surprised at myself, and at the same time, not really because I know how easy it is to please me. I mean, every time I open the each episode to watch it, I look literally for things that might break the camel's back and I would no longer watch it, and there are a lot of things that I find disappointing and completely annoying. Her friends, her dad, Jung In's dad, Mu Gyul's mom, that actress girl, the weirdness of the whole situation, but I still love it.

I love it when they're together, and I love Ji Sung's character how he slowly melted from a cold aloof man to this totally cute awkward man. I love it when Mu Gyul get jealous and when he smiles and his voice so gorgeous. I'm enjoying it just as much as I enjoyed You're Beautiful and I enjoyed that a lot.

I'm the minority with my crazy unnies, in fact all of them have dropped this drama, and I'm the only one left standing. I still think JKS is a jerk in his interviews, but I like how he acts. I love his smile and I love his voice. I may not be a die hard fan anymore, but I'm still a fan. XD

jossah

Who's still with me on this drama 'til the final episode?

Post by jossah » Dec 27th, '10, 16:13

I have no idea why I'm still watching this drama. ':goggle:'

It has the most number of annoying characters in one drama, seriously. And all of them are contradicting themselves: You have Mae Ri's dad who loves his daughter so much that he'd force her to marry a rich guy she doesn't love; a crazy-borderline-obsessed ex-girlfriend who is bipolar (she suddenly acts nice then bitchy then nice again then bitchy, ad infinitum); Ji Sung who can't get away from his manipulative father but says he'll compete with Mu Gyul to win Mae Ri's heart yet doesn't do much in most episodes other than look stuck up; Mu Gyul's mom who never keeps her promises to her son but keeps on making them anyway. These characters never fail to infuriate me every time. ':cussing:'
The overall story is also annoyingly unrealistic and ridiculously overly complicated. Now, if there is still some shocking revelation about the relationship of Mae Ri and Ji Sung's parents, they better dish it out now 'coz I don't think I'm the only one losing interest in the story. ':glare:'
BUT... Despite all these flaws I still keep on watching it. ':lol' I dunno. ':unsure:' The story telling is bad and by the 6th episode I knew there was no point in watching it anymore but hey, I'm still here waiting for the next episode.
At first I found Mae Ri's character annoying and not at all endearing but as the story progressed, she and Mu Gyul seem to be the only characters who had any character developments so far.
JKS/JGS look so... pretty here. I didn't like it at first coz he looks prettier than me and he's got better hair than I do but damn, when he smiles, I just turn to mush.':wub:'
Anyway, I'm still onboard with this drama. ':salut:' I'm not liking it so far but hopefully my love for JGS' smile will keep me going. And I wanna see Ji Sung stick up for himself against his dad, Mae Ri to finally put her foot down and get her annoying dad off her back and Mu Gyul to... I dunno... smile, sing and shine, I guess. LOL. '8)'

janajee

Post by janajee » Dec 27th, '10, 16:31

Dude, I know what you mean.

Ate Ethlenn once said that she would never watch something that annoyed her, and I'd like to say that about myself too, but there's just something there for me and I really don't know what it is that's so overpowering that I can forget all the things that drive me crazy about this drama.

I have a hate/love relationship with this drama, and it's driving me crazy.

Hahahaha.

jossah

Post by jossah » Dec 27th, '10, 16:49

janajee wrote: I have a hate/love relationship with this drama, and it's driving me crazy.
Haha. Yeah, me, too. I love JGS, I hate the rest of it. LOL.

I watched episode 14 earlier somewhere online. It was so painful to watch for several reasons that I do not wish to enumerate for fear that you will curse me into oblivion if I give out spoilers and you haven't seen it yet. Anyway, I'm not expecting much from the last few episodes after seeing the 14th. These guys just take misunderstandings into an entirely different level. LOL. I'll just keep on watching it just to know how the guys end up but from how the story's going so far I guess we all kinda know where all the fluff's gonna take us. Nevertheless, I'll post my final verdict on this drama once I'm done with it and let's compare notes. Suffice it to say, things aren't looking good for this drama thus far. Oh well.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 29th, '10, 20:27

This drama has just come up on TV here in CA. Well I watched the first episode. First and foremost I don't feel any admiration for the leading actress. Never have been interested in her. She is childish here and the screechy voice is enough to scare the mice away. The whole episode was like eating something so mushy it would not get smaller and could not be swallowed.
Honestly I think I only want to see if Kim Jae Wook has been given a decent role. I think right now he is still at the beginning of his acting career so he won't have a main lead yet. He is more of a natural actor I think ,and I like him, so I will watch maybe another episode or two just to see him.

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 29th, '10, 21:39

Peggy wrote:This drama has just come up on TV here in CA. Well I watched the first episode. First and foremost I don't feel any admiration for the leading actress. Never have been interested in her. She is childish here and the screechy voice is enough to scare the mice away. The whole episode was like eating something so mushy it would not get smaller and could not be swallowed.
Honestly I think I only want to see if Kim Jae Wook has been given a decent role. I think right now he is still at the beginning of his acting career so he won't have a main lead yet. He is more of a natural actor I think ,and I like him, so I will watch maybe another episode or two just to see him.
I stopped checking this thread after i dropped the drama but i saw your name peggy and got curious. thank god some one else shares the same thoughts about MGY with me. i have not seen her in anything (just half an ep of Painter if the Wind) yet and was thinking let me see what is all the fuss about her. up to ep7, she never failed to annoy me with her childish act and wanting to look all sweet and innocent and cute. she is not acting her character age at all. but then again, i am not really sure who else does. from her dad to MG mom...I think KJW character is the only one acting mature and old in there. and a bit robotic for the first few eps.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 30th, '10, 19:09

Issy,
A lot of Korean actresses act in a childish way. They must think it is attractive or else the director suggest that to them. I can't stand it and I never watch them. At this precise moment as I write I can only pick out one actress who pleases me whenever she appears. I think her name is Kim Ha Neul. Not sure of the spelling. She was wonderful in the drama 'ON AIR'. That called for a wide range of emotions and she nailed them all. Recently she has been in the very dramatic 'ROAD No1' I could not watch this drama. Too much war and too close to reality.
She can also be silly and funny and does a mean dance routine. I like her very much.

I don't think I will watch too much of 'Marry me Mary'.....

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Dec 30th, '10, 20:29

I agree too...MMM had a good casting but the storyline was the problem it was a mess but Im still watching it not because I think its worth watching just because I love the ACTORS ( not the actresses of course what to do :$ ) and it has some funny parts...a story for children :D

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Dec 30th, '10, 20:54

Just to comment on Peggy's reply, I also like Kim Ha Neul. There are quite a few good ones but mainly older actresses. Yoon Eun Hye, Ha Ji Won, Kim Ha Neul etc.
Thing is, most of them stick to movies or more serious series. These teen rom-coms always cast 20-somethings that can only act cute or b*tchy. Or they make em.
And if they do cast someone young AND talented, they usually force them to act below their skill level. Like what happened to miss Moon with this wreck of a series.

Truth be told though, it's her own mistake to participate in a series like MMM. She was pretty respected before this. I saw her in Love me not. She was good. Watchable.
I think they just made the mistake of trusting a series that was obviously made to show off how cute and cool Jang Keun Suk is. A complete mess made to promote him.

I just hope Moon, Jae Wook and Hyo Jin do something better next time. It's a shame to waste them like this. As for JKS, I've lost all hope with this. Let him enjoy his fame.

I'll be updating the first post till all the subs from WithS2 are done and then I can finally forget about this awful sorry excuse for a series. Sorry I could not stick by this topic properly.

jossah

Post by jossah » Dec 31st, '10, 01:52

"She is childish here and the screechy voice is enough to scare the mice away."

Oh hell yes. She's annoying and not at all endearing. This is the first time I've seen Moon and I was quite frankly disappointed with her since I've read people raving about her. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

The story is a disaster and like I said, all the characters are annoying. I'm just waiting for the subs of the last 2 episodes so I can move on to watch better dramas. ':roll'

"A lot of Korean actresses act in a childish way. They must think it is attractive or else the director suggest that to them."

I noticed that, too. I'm not sure if it's just a cultural thing but do they really those kinds of girls are cute? They're really annoying and ditsy. It's like Korea's response to the "dumb blonde" stereotype of western countries. ':rofl:'

"I think they just made the mistake of trusting a series that was obviously made to show off how cute and cool Jang Keun Suk is. A complete mess made to promote him."

I did get that kind of impression, too. The story was too biased on him. Oh, I think I can hear the teen fangirls screaming right now. And to think I actually liked him in BV (He was pretty good there though the story was just a disaster. Boo!). Really, what happened to him?! Fame got to his head? Or maybe his agency's just trying to rake in as much money as they can with no regard at all at how JGS' career would end up. Whattamess.':hissy:'

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 31st, '10, 07:53

jossah wrote:
Orion wrote:"I think they just made the mistake of trusting a series that was obviously made to show off how cute and cool Jang Keun Suk is. A complete mess made to promote him."
I did get that kind of impression, too. The story was too biased on him. Oh, I think I can hear the teen fangirls screaming right now. And to think I actually liked him in BV (He was pretty good there though the story was just a disaster. Boo!). Really, what happened to him?! Fame got to his head? Or maybe his agency's just trying to rake in as much money as they can with no regard at all at how JGS' career would end up. Whattamess.':hissy:'
I think this was the main reason behind us dropping this drama. it was insulting our intelligence. you could say that it was a 16ep long promotional video for JKS and not for his acting style and talent but for his beauty aspects (from the hair to the waist line, lips,...) just in case we have missed it in year 2010 because there was not much mention of them. :whistling:
I look back to BV days and breath a very deep sigh.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Dec 31st, '10, 08:03

Issy wrote:I look back to BV days and breath a very deep sigh.
Same here. I mean, appearance aside (even though he looked like a MAN there), his acting was so refreshing. It was the first work of his where he acted 100% for the character.
He was just so good in it. He was natural, he made you interested in the character and conveyed every bit of him in the best way he could. I was so proud of him with that series.

We've said it many times before, but that was a glimpse of what he could be in the future. A seriously talented young man, with such ability for conveying emotion in a way that moves you.
To see him completely waste that in favor of being some fashion and trendiness icon for people who couldn't tell real talent if it was staring them right in the face, is just so utterly depressing.
I guess it's proof that it all comes down to the person themselves. If he is a spoiled arrogant boy, how could he even see his own talent? Much like his fans, he ignores it in favor of fame.

It's just a shame that talent is sometimes given to people like him who are simply not equipped to use and nurture it the way it deserves to be. He could have been awesome. We'll never know.

I had been downloading Mary to possibly watch in the future, but I just find myself not able to give a damn about it. Time to empty some space in my hard drive. It's offending my hardware.

Edit: Seems I already erased it. I guess the absurdity hit me at some point and I did it without sparing a second thought.

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 31st, '10, 08:17

Orion1986 wrote:]I had been downloading Mary to possibly watch in the future, but I just find myself not able to give a damn about it. Time to empty some space in my hard drive. It's offending my hardware.

Edit: Seems I already erased it. I guess the absurdity hit me at some point and I did it without sparing a second thought.
yepp, same here too :P but i had only 7eps and last week i thought i need that precious space for some KDW goodies :mrgreen:

moll

Post by moll » Dec 31st, '10, 11:19

Just fiinished watching the final episode with subtitles. I must admit only for the fact that I like to watch JGS & MGY together I probably wouldn't have kept watching this every week. Apart from the odd scenes it was pretty boring. I don't suppose it was the worst drama of 2010 (being fairly new to Korean/Japanese dramas I haven't seen many) - some of you will probably disagree here but of course we don't all like the same things. Many people rate Secret Garden highly, but I saw a few episodes and wasn't really impressed and stopped watching.

I also liked his performance in BV but for me personally You're Beautiful took his acting to another level . From messages I've seen from JGS maybe he was wishing he hadn't chosen to do the roll :unsure: I'm not sure KImi Wa Petto (his next role) will be any better for me - I've seen some of the Japanese version :scratchchin:

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 31st, '10, 11:49

moll wrote:I also liked his performance in BV but for me personally You're Beautiful took his acting to another level . From messages I've seen from JGS maybe he was wishing he hadn't chosen to do the roll :unsure: I'm not sure KImi Wa Petto (his next role) will be any better for me - I've seen some of the Japanese version :scratchchin:

Oh boy, so is he regret doing it now? This is strange because he could not believe his luck when he got this project. As I read he was secretly praying that this role won't go to anyone but him and he wanted it so badly as soon as he read the script.
Story wise the drama on its own is very childish and silly. But I think it would have been bearable for us had they acted more mature (at least their age) with no cliche over the top characters ( all parents included) and not made for advertising JKS purposes.

I liked him in YAB alot. It was my first ever kdrama and he was the reason I continued watching them (and even getting addicted to them and k-actors).

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Dec 31st, '10, 12:07

Issy wrote:I liked him in YAB alot. It was my first ever kdrama and he was the reason I continued watching them (and even getting addicted to them and k-actors).
Same here. First kdrama. It made me want to see more. JKS is the person that got me into kdramas and movies, basically.
Which makes this change, or rather, this revelation of his true nature and goals even more painful. Real shame, that is.

moll

Post by moll » Dec 31st, '10, 12:38

Maybe I misunderstood the meaning then?

It's been translated from Korean, and I sometimes find it a bit hard to understand!

He said he felt sorry to his fans for the low ratings and he does say he didn't regret choosing the role but then says "..............I feel sad that I selected this drama when I just saw the role. It would be better if I could have a profound understanding and comprehension of the script................."

I've only quoted a few lines from his message but I get the impression that maybe he did regret it :scratchchin:

I saw the full message on a blog by sears - not sure if I can put the link on here?
Just to add I love the song I Will Promise You sung by JGS. Happy New Year :alcoholic:

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 1st, '11, 07:14

"It would be better if I could have a profound understanding and comprehension of the script..."

Dude, there's nothing profound to be comprehended in the whole story of MMM. What script is he talking about here, anyway?! :rofl:

YB was the first K-drama I watched full upon the recommendation of my friend. I saw some K-dramas a few years back but they were dubbed in Tagalog and I didn't really like the voice talents.

Anyway, though MMM and YB were basically targeting the same age bracket, MMM turned out to be a big heap of fluffy ****. LOL. YB was better written and the characters were all became endearing in the en (Didn't like Go Mi Nam at the beginning). After seeing JGS in YB, I started watching his other works since I though he had potential in terms of acting and yes, he's really good looking. Then he comes out with MMM and I was left dumbfounded. :stress: :cussing:

I haven't seen the last 2 episodes yet. Been too busy partying. LOL.

OFF TOP: Hope you ladies had a wonderful New Year's celebration! :cheers:

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 1st, '11, 07:27

Orion1986 wrote:To see him completely waste that in favor of being some fashion and trendiness icon for people who couldn't tell real talent if it was staring them right in the face, is just so utterly depressing.
Fashion and trendiness icon?! Him?! Really?! His bright skinny jeans, boatneck shirts and "man-liner" in YB made me cringe (I love the story but I just cannot, for the life of me, understand their fashion sense in that drama. Or the whole KPop music industry, for that matter.) In MMM, JGS took metrosexaulity into new extremes that made me nearly want to run and hide.

But yeah, he had a lot of potential so it's really sad that he turned into a novel entity rather than being considered as a talented actor. His manager and agency should be burned at the stake. NOW.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 1st, '11, 07:59

Well, he IS a fashion and trendiness icon for his fangirls. They seem to find everything he does, says and wears cute. Although I'm sure even they are getting tired by now.
I don't think there's a straight and sane woman out there, even if she's a complete idiot, who would admire this "guy" more as a man than any other proper male korean actor.

Then again, fangirls always manage to surprise me with how oblivious and lacking in good taste they can be so I'm sure there's lots of these women out there.

And yes, I agree. What script? Was there a script there? Did I miss something? Cause to me, it looked like a series of scenes that showed of his s-line and kawaii-ness.
It's really nice to see there are more people like us out there though. I was beginning to feel the ones who find JKS ridiculous are a rare specimen of people. Thankfully not.

So, Happy New Year to everyone and let's hope we don't get more Mary-like series anytime soon!

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 1st, '11, 08:28

jossah wrote: YB was better written and the characters were all became endearing in the en (Didn't like Go Mi Nam at the beginning).
OFF TOP: Hope you ladies had a wonderful New Year's celebration! :cheers:
OK, I know it's not neccessary since this is the internet and all but being a writer by profession, I find the need to edit myself is mandatory. LOL.

YB was better written and the characters all became endearing in the end (Didn't like Go Mi Nam at the beginning).

OFF TOPIC: Hope you ladies had a wonderful New Year's celebration! :cheers:

moll

Post by moll » Jan 1st, '11, 12:46

jossah wrote: Fashion and trendiness icon?! Him?! Really?! His bright skinny jeans, boatneck shirts and "man-liner" in YB made me cringe (I love the story but I just cannot, for the life of me, understand their fashion sense in that drama. Or the whole KPop music industry, for that matter.) In MMM, JGS took metrosexaulity into new extremes that made me nearly want to run and hide.

I actually got used to the hair styles, weird clothes and eyeliner in YB after the initial shock :blink. And yes, even in MMM the clothes grew on me, and there were some I liked. Off topic - JGS & MGY both looked really good at the KBS Awards.
jossah wrote: Dude, there's nothing profound to be comprehended in the whole story of MMM. What script is he talking about here, anyway?! :rofl:

:lol
Last edited by moll on Jan 2nd, '11, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 2nd, '11, 11:45

moll wrote:I actually got used to the hair styles, wierd clothes and eyeliner in YB after the initial shock :blink. And yes, even in MMM the clothes grew on me, and there were some I liked. Off topic - JGS & MGY both looked really good at the KBS Awards.
I got used to all the androgyny in YB eventually. I just had to keep reminding myself that his clothes were all part and parcel of the character he portrays. Then he came out with MMM. Now, I am forever scarred. :fight:

I dunno, maybe my aversion for his girly look in MMM is just a cultural thing. But I still cant get over the fact that JGS' skinny jeans are skinnier than mine. :rofl:

Oh, I haven't seen the last 2 episodes of MMM yet so I cant give my final comment yet. Hopefully I'll get to finish it tomorrow. :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 2nd, '11, 16:40

"It would be better if I could have a profound understanding and comprehension of the script................."
Uhmm... not that I care but profound understanding is for Descartes or Kierkegaard's works, not for a sh*tty script that consist of bending, showing S-line, gazing and drinking.
It's not only JGS's fault though. It's the whole concept that is bad. Like... ocean bottom's bad...

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 2nd, '11, 16:56

Appearantly, the new writer wanted to kill MG in ep15. in there where the riot began and "all cast" objected to storylines in new script. so who else to rescue but the one and only JKS to re-write the script and direct the both last eps and as the new writer was angry with reaction she got angry and left the set.
ummm, I wonder why on earth she wanted MG dead? :scratch: :whistling:

ps. and now there is a talk that MMM is the BEST show. huh? no really, huuuuuuuuuuh??? :blink

moll

Post by moll » Jan 2nd, '11, 17:18

Issy wrote:Appearantly, the new writer wanted to kill MG in ep15. in there where the riot began and "all cast" objected to storylines in new script. so who else to rescue but the one and only JKS to re-write the script and direct the both last eps and as the new writer was angry with reaction she got angry and left the set.
ummm, I wonder why on earth she wanted MG dead? :scratch: :whistling:
:blink
:rofl:

Yes I saw that too - what a fiasco - I hope lessons have been learnt :unsure:
Issy wrote: ps. and now there is a talk that MMM is the BEST show. huh? no really, huuuuuuuuuuh??? :blink
I haven't seen that, but I know it's a drama I won't be re-watching :sleeping:

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jan 2nd, '11, 17:24

Marry Me Mary.... the best show? Seriously? I think they were sarcastic...

When it started to air, then I waited and watched up to 8th episode(about that, not sure) and haven't watched further, even though there 15 subbed episodes. That means - boring, cheezy and quite predictable.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 2nd, '11, 17:40

You lasted until 8? Wow. Well, you're a man. You can bear the pain better. :rofl:

I could only go up to 3... or 4... I think I stopped after the ice cream cup licking.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 2nd, '11, 17:50

Orion1986 wrote:You lasted until 8? Wow. Well, you're a man. You can bear the pain better. :rofl:

I could only go up to 3... or 4... I think I stopped after the ice cream cup licking.
I lasted till 7 :sweat: but there was some FFing involved :whistling:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 2nd, '11, 17:56

"F*cking flop!"ing? :P

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 2nd, '11, 17:59

Orion1986 wrote:"F*cking flop!"ing? :P

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
eeeeerrr, i did not think of that but now that you mention it, just add lots of FastFarwarding to it too. :mrgreen:

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jan 2nd, '11, 18:02

Firefox`ing, I think ;D

But I am determined to watch it till the end, started to download last 8 episodes.

But how can they make drama this bad with 2 great actors(sorry, I'm not including JGS, not really a fan), I'm talking about Kim Jae Wook(he was just... marvelous in Bad Guy) and Moon Geun Young(I may not remember correctly, but if I do, then she was very good in Cinderella sister. As for JGS - his role in You're beautiful wasn't impressive enough to include him, sorry.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 2nd, '11, 18:09

Watch Beethoven Virus (or have you?). It was the only role where he actually seemed to try hard. And it worked beautifully. YAB was teen rom-com. I wasn't impressed either. Performance-wise.
But yes, surprising that the rest of the main cast signed up for this. I mean, did someone blackmail them or something? Did they get them dead drunk and make them sign the contract? What?

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 3rd, '11, 02:10

Neliets wrote:But I am determined to watch it till the end, started to download last 8 episodes.
Yep, me too (downloading the last episode), I have this annoying habit of finishing films, dramas and books even though the story is crappy. This is partly because I don't want to throw away the time and effort I've invested in reading/watching 'em but mostly because I wanna finish the story to see how crappy it really is so I know what I'll be talking about in case I get into an argument with someone who happens to like the book/drama/film. :argue:

Oh, have you seen BV. JGS was noteworthy in that drama though I personally did not like the story. That's the drama that convinced me that JGS has (or maybe 'had' is more appropriate. Whatcha think?) some potential in acting. MMM is the drama that convinced me he's gay. LOL. No offense to the fangirls but seriously, he can't wear eyeliner, tunics and skinny jeans and convince me he's straight. :goggle:

Anyway, I like JGS a lot less now but I would still like to believe he's going to get back on track with his career. Yes, I know I'm being overly optimistic and downright stupid but I sure hope the low ratings MMM got would be enough rude awakening for him.

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 3rd, '11, 02:15

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Mary_Stayed_O ... de_Ratings

Wow. With an average per episode rating of 6%, they're lucky to have been allowed to finish airing the whole drama. In Japan they pull the plug at around episode 5 or 6 if the ratings were this dismal. :glare:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 3rd, '11, 10:47

Usually in Korea too. They cut short those dramas. We have witnessed few dramas killed like that.

BV is a painful memory for JGS, he looked like a man. He played 27-yo guy. Oh, a guy...

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 4th, '11, 03:34

Ethlenn wrote:BV is a painful memory for JGS, he looked like a man. He played 27-yo guy. Oh, a guy...
Yeah, a guy. A manly-man. BV is a bittersweet memory of JGS when he was still a man and had talent. LOL. That's the drama where I though he has/had talent. He was what, 19 or 20 years old back when he made that drama and he was playing a 20 something-year-old guy and he totally looked the part.

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 4th, '11, 13:19

Finished.
From the whole 16 episodes I can only say the last one was worth to see. I think that is how it should have been.
The plot would have been much better if the divorce had happened a lot faster and that they would have been living together for some time. I liked how Director was trying to adjust to Moo Kyul's way of living. The car... :lol
Anyway, after last episode I think they wasted a good set for drama. The plot was too predictable and boring, characters were annoying and plain and there were too much fanservice. It was like they were trying to cover the loss of good story with too fluffy/tacky fanservice. Or they made fanservice drama and covered it with ripes of "plot". Even I could have come up with more interesting story. :roll

Good points? I can't come up with any. I just hope the actors learn to pick up better drama next time. And that Jae Wook will get his lead role. I've never been his huge fan but I think it's time for him to get that lead role and show his real talent. :-)

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 4th, '11, 17:13

Viande wrote:Finished.
From the whole 16 episodes I can only say the last one was worth to see. I think that is how it should have been.
The plot would have been much better if the divorce had happened a lot faster and that they would have been living together for some time. I liked how Director was trying to adjust to Moo Kyul's way of living. The car... :lol
Anyway, after last episode I think they wasted a good set for drama. The plot was too predictable and boring, characters were annoying and plain and there were too much fanservice. It was like they were trying to cover the loss of good story with too fluffy/tacky fanservice. Or they made fanservice drama and covered it with ripes of "plot". Even I could have come up with more interesting story. :roll

Good points? I can't come up with any. I just hope the actors learn to pick up better drama next time. And that Jae Wook will get his lead role. I've never been his huge fan but I think it's time for him to get that lead role and show his real talent. :-)
I totally agree with ya. Especially on the fluffy/tacky fanservice. And yes, the ending that you suggested would have been leagues better than how they finished the story. :)

Here's my review of this drama for those who are interested: http://jossah.livejournal.com/888.html.

It's a bit longer than I had originally intended. I had a wee bit too much fun with the bashfest. ':lol

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 4th, '11, 20:54

This drama pops up on my TV and sometimes I have watched it. All I can say so far is that the leading lady looks scruffy and does babyish talk ad nauseum. Long haired beauty is long haired beauty. they go together I think.

All I hope is that she does not end up with Jae Wook character. He is too good for a weird person like her.

Agree that it is about time he got a drama where he is the lead and he gets the girl or rises to the top of the totem pole. It's a very illassorted cast and they don't seem to be like any families. Not well done at all.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jan 4th, '11, 21:56

Remember I said I was determined to watch it... It has been 3 days now and I have watched 5 minutes of it ;D

I think that I should get a lot of beer to get through this ;D Or few shots of vodka to get this started at least. You can't possibly watch this being sober.

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 4th, '11, 22:19

hehe, or you should do something else while watching like I did.

(Though the calendar I did is missing Song Joong Ki and Yoo Ah In because I made the calendar before I watched SKKS. This year will be without them. :-( )

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 5th, '11, 08:12

After seeing one more episode I have decided that this drama would be less irritating with a different leading lady.

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 5th, '11, 14:44

Peggy wrote:After seeing one more episode I have decided that this drama would be less irritating with a different leading lady.
This drama would have been less irritating if it had a different story and a different set of stylist and make-up artists. LOL. But I agree with you. The female lead is really annoying and in no part of the series did I find her endearing at all. But I don't think changing the lead star would change anything, it's the character itself that's the problem. Watcha think? :D

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jan 5th, '11, 14:54

She is just doing her job as an acress - we all saw her in Cinderella sister, she was good.

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 5th, '11, 16:03

Neliets wrote:She is just doing her job as an acress - we all saw her in Cinderella sister, she was good.
I seriously believe that it was not Moon Geun Young's acting that was the problem, it's the character. I've read raves about Moon. I'm currently downloading Cinderella Sister and Love Me Not. I just saw the trailers and she sounded normal (thankfully!).

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 5th, '11, 16:42

Love Me Not was an interesting movie. Too sad and angsty for me, but it was good. In fact, until a while back, I did not know it was Moon starring there.
I honestly could not believe this woman who is so unsuccessful as Mary was the same one as the leading lady there. Worlds apart. And I mean worlds.
She was in A Tale of Two Sisters as well. Again, I did not know it was her. My shock from Mary became even bigger after I knew. It's just so weird. Really.

I guess she is good, but not versatile or then does not have much say in what she does. Mary is not a tragic character like she is used to portraying.
That means she is either not good in lighter roles, and therefore not a flexible actress (a good actor is versatile) or she is forced to act as they tell her to.
Considering she is quite young in age, it's probably the latter. She doesn't have enough power and independence to act as she wants. I hope so, at least.
Mary is bad. Really bad. And unless she was forced by her agency to accept the role and act so badly, then it's a bad call of hers. Would be a shame.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 5th, '11, 20:39

Well I really shouldn't make any hard and fast comments because I have only watched this drama up to where she comes into Jae Wook's house and sees her indie band guy. Lots of misunderstanding of course. I still like Jae Wook and the sooner he getso out of this the better. He needs to be in a livelier character and show his smiles and naughtiness and angry moments. He is playing this role as the director wants it and doing it OK I think. However he is capable of doing much more. I hope someone is searching right now for a good drama for him.

No I still don't like the actress and the Cinderella drama was not for me. I watched a lot of it but it was tooo farfetched. Kim Gab Soo best thing there and he always does a beautiful death scene...

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: Who's still with me on this drama 'til the final episode

Post by seirin » Jan 6th, '11, 09:17

jossah wrote:It has the most number of annoying characters in one drama, seriously. And all of them are contradicting themselves: You have Mae Ri's dad who loves his daughter so much that he'd force her to marry a rich guy she doesn't love; a crazy-borderline-obsessed ex-girlfriend who is bipolar (she suddenly acts nice then bitchy then nice again then bitchy, ad infinitum); Ji Sung who can't get away from his manipulative father but says he'll compete with Mu Gyul to win Mae Ri's heart yet doesn't do much in most episodes other than look stuck up; Mu Gyul's mom who never keeps her promises to her son but keeps on making them anyway. These characters never fail to infuriate me every time. ':cussing:'
The overall story is also annoyingly unrealistic and ridiculously overly complicated. Now, if there is still some shocking revelation about the relationship of Mae Ri and Ji Sung's parents, they better dish it out now 'coz I don't think I'm the only one losing interest in the story.
You know...every time the Mary's dad, MG's mom and the rich guy's dad shows up, I kinda tune them out LOL The characters were pretty annoying so I just ignore them. They're just like pesky mosquitoes that won't die.

About the ex-gf. I can see how she's hung over on her ex. She loves him but he doesn't love her. So she's frustrated she can't have him so she tries to find ways to stay near him and hopefully make him like her again but swings the other way when she realizes maybe he won't like her again. But then swings back in hopes maybe there's a miracle and he will. LOL

I think many dramas are unrealistic, it just depends on the level. I like secret garden and I find it's unrealistic and it's not about the body swapping part that I have a problem with. I mean...so many people entering a contest and she always gets picked? What at the chances. Regarding complicated, it's typical Korean drama. There's a list of common Korean drama elements people have listed online. It is pretty amusing and makes you question why they keep doing that. You start to just take it as it is or just not watch it.

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 6th, '11, 16:05

I can handle over-the-top, absurd and unrealistic story lines. HanaKimi (Japanese) was the first Asian, non-Filipino drama I watched and I seriously enjoyed it. In fact, it's on my top 5 list of fave dramas of all time! ^_^
I guess it's the treatment they did in MMM that didn't sit well with me. It was too serious and dramatic for a romance drama that had very little substance to it.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 6th, '11, 16:17

jossah wrote:I can handle over-the-top, absurd and unrealistic story lines. HanaKimi (Japanese) was the first Asian, non-Filipino drama I watched and I seriously enjoyed it. In fact, it's on my top 5 list of fave dramas of all time! ^_^
I guess it's the treatment they did in MMM that didn't sit well with me. It was too serious and dramatic for a romance drama that had very little substance to it.
same here. I enjoyed Mei-chan's Butler and to much lesser extent HanaKimi and they both were over-the-top. but could not continue with MMM.
and now that peggy mentioned it, I think, me too. if leading lady was different or if MGY acted that character differently, it could have been bearable enough for me to watch. I only had to close my eyes and control my anger every time JKS wanted to promote himself in some scenes. :P
oh, and FF all other scenes with other characters. :whistling:

jane007

Post by jane007 » Jan 6th, '11, 17:45

Sadly agree with all of you...
I don't know if I was expecting too much from this drama, I'm just feeling cheated with the actors in. I like Moon Geun Young, Jan Geun Suk and Jae Wook! >o<
It's beyond logic, so far from reality. Was the manhwa so unreal?
Their characters are... :doh: .

I still love Wi Mae Ri Thema... ^^

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 7th, '11, 02:31

Orion1986 wrote:Love Me Not was an interesting movie. Too sad and angsty for me, but it was good. In fact, until a while back, I did not know it was Moon starring there.
I honestly could not believe this woman who is so unsuccessful as Mary was the same one as the leading lady there. Worlds apart. And I mean worlds.
She was in A Tale of Two Sisters as well. Again, I did not know it was her. My shock from Mary became even bigger after I knew. It's just so weird. Really.

I guess she is good, but not versatile or then does not have much say in what she does. Mary is not a tragic character like she is used to portraying.
That means she is either not good in lighter roles, and therefore not a flexible actress (a good actor is versatile) or she is forced to act as they tell her to.
Considering she is quite young in age, it's probably the latter. She doesn't have enough power and independence to act as she wants. I hope so, at least.
Mary is bad. Really bad. And unless she was forced by her agency to accept the role and act so badly, then it's a bad call of hers. Would be a shame.
Really, that was Moon in A Tale of Two Sisters?! :blink
I saw that film years ago. It's not the best horror film I've ever seen (The Ring is by far the best, bar none) and I found it too dramatic in some points and there was a loose end that the story failed to tie-up in the end. But I enjoyed the cinematography of the film. Anyway, I think Moon's tying to break away from the overly-dramatic films and series that she's been doing lately. It's just too bad that she chose MMM. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 14th, '11, 00:43

All the subs by WithS2 are now done. And so is my involvement here. ^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 14th, '11, 00:59

I am still viewing some of this drama now and then. Mostly I watch the beginning and then the next day I see a little more. I still think that the writing and directing is so mediocre. Especially the writing.... and if only there was a leading lady who knew how to play light comedy without behaving like a 12 year old schoolgirl yelling and...yuck,,, She really doesn't do light stuff at all well.
If you can get past the too long hair and posturing of JGS he is actually doing a pretty good acting job here. Not too much to work with really. The same goes for Kim Jae Wook. He is utterly wasted in this role. I'd like to see the two guys hit it off with the music and the drama and drop Mary out the window.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 14th, '11, 12:27

Yeah yeah Peggy ...I share the same opinion
I was just wondering ...what if the actors were 16 ( or less) besides of 22 years old ..It could be less annoying...
Anyway the ep14 made me laugh ...how s stupid! Yeah yeah from romance now it s action waw can believe how did they get that idea of kidnapping looool ...and Mae ri's voice in that scene ...no comment couldnt stop laughing ...it was the last ep I watched !

janajee

Post by janajee » Jan 14th, '11, 13:12

When everything is said and done...

I liked it, in spite of all of it's annoying ness, I just couldn't find it in my heart to hate it. I don't know why. I tried, but I look at it and I think, maaaan, JGS is cute, KJW is so ADORABLE, and the girl playing Mae Ri, annoying but... meh, I can take her.

The car scene was definitely a favorite.

And that's all I'll say anymore. There are those who hate it, and I think I should have been one of them, and yet there are those who loved it and enjoyed the ride. I can't believe I was one of them though. Hahahaha.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jan 14th, '11, 16:48

Fear the power of fast forwarding! I'll be done soon. ;D

kahlan

Post by kahlan » Jan 17th, '11, 10:27

is this series worth watching?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 17th, '11, 11:09

Depends on who you ask. You might get a "no" or a "Heeell no!". Ok ok. I'll be nice. Nice and fair and all cause it's only right.
I personally have never dropped a drama. Even sat through some pretty bad ones. I dropped this one though. Pretty fast too.

I guess if you don't mind a mess of a script and characters while you enjoy fanservice cuteness and cliches, you'd like that.
You can try and watch 2-3 episodes and see for yourself. That's what most of us do with dramas. If you don't like it, that's that.

kahlan

Post by kahlan » Jan 17th, '11, 23:56

Orion1986 wrote:Depends on who you ask. You might get a "no" or a "Heeell no!". Ok ok. I'll be nice. Nice and fair and all cause it's only right.
I personally have never dropped a drama. Even sat through some pretty bad ones. I dropped this one though. Pretty fast too.

I guess if you don't mind a mess of a script and characters while you enjoy fanservice cuteness and cliches, you'd like that.
You can try and watch 2-3 episodes and see for yourself. That's what most of us do with dramas. If you don't like it, that's that.
thanks Orion, I've been away from Korean drama for sometime. Just started watching again and it seems to get better. I started with Sungkyunkwan Scandal, absolutely love it. Watched King of Baking (nice) and then just ended Secret Garden (the best). So hoping to watch something else that would make me continue with Korean Dramas.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jan 18th, '11, 05:38

Just finished watching Marry Me, Mary! This was so good and had a nice ending but I did not like the wig Mae Ri wore! It looked fake and was just too much hair. I did like her acting and everyone else too although the dad's personality was too much. I felt so sad for Jung In he was so lonely :(

But I liked when Mae Ri stood up to her dad and fought for her love Kang Moo Kyul! I can't get the song My Precious out of my head. They played it at the right times. Aww! so sweet drama :)

jenshiro

Post by jenshiro » Jan 18th, '11, 18:51

Ohh.. I LOVE this..
But I totally agree with you "Iluvasiandrama"... The dad in Marry me Mary was just too much!

I LOVE Jang Geun Suk... His voice is amazing.. When he speak AND when he sings...
I love his acting to of course.. ha ha :D He is so funny..

This is really an amazing drama.. That I can watch over and over again..

And I love the song My bus :)

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jan 18th, '11, 19:05

How... can... possibly... anyone... love this? I have to say - crap from head to toe.

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Jan 18th, '11, 19:23

I am watching Love Story at Harvard awaiting the subs for Secret Garden and the next episode of My Princess. I dropped "Marry, me Mary" and deleted it. How anyone could like this is beyond me, unless related to the director or writer. As for the dad being too much, they ALL were too much. Read the ratings numbers. There is so much good stuff out there right now to waste time with Marry me Mary.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jan 18th, '11, 22:36

jenshiro wrote:Ohh.. I LOVE this..
But I totally agree with you "Iluvasiandrama"... The dad in Marry me Mary was just too much!

I LOVE Jang Geun Suk... His voice is amazing.. When he speak AND when he sings...
I love his acting to of course.. ha ha :D He is so funny..

This is really an amazing drama.. That I can watch over and over again..

And I love the song My bus :)
Oh yeah JGS is so hottie! But might be too skinny? Anyways I totally forgot about that song My bus I liked when she tried to sing it, Take Care, My Bus LOL

janajee

Post by janajee » Jan 19th, '11, 02:46

To each his own, lovelies.

To each his own.

I personally loved it.

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 19th, '11, 02:55

kahlan wrote:is this series worth watching?
I watched the whole of it hoping things would go better as the story unfolds but I still didn't like it in the end. :glare:
If you're interested, here's my review of the drama. No spoilers, I promise. :D

http://jossah.livejournal.com/888.html
Neliets wrote:How... can... possibly... anyone... love this? I have to say - crap from head to toe.
LMAO! You suvived! Congratulations! Now, forget this drama and move on. That's what I did. Thankfully SKKS was there to help me salvage what was left of my sanity. LOL.