[Discussion] Q10 ( Sato Takeru, Maeda Atsuko )

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
MisS Lonliah

[Discussion] Q10 ( Sato Takeru, Maeda Atsuko )

Post by MisS Lonliah » Oct 15th, '10, 22:24

Details
* Title: キュート
* Title(romaji): Kyuto
* Title(english): Q10
* Format: Renzoku
* Genre: Romance
* Episodes: TBA
* Viewership ratings: TBA
* Broadcast network: NTV
* Air Time: Saturday 21:00
* Broadcast period: 2010-10-16 to 2010-12
* Theme song: Honto no Kimochi by Takahashi Yu

Synopsis
"Heita is an ordinary high school boy with a kind heart but no real interest in romance. His class is joined by a transfer student named Q10 (pronounced "kyu-to," the same as "cute"), who looks like a girl but is actually a robot. Together, the two end up causing trouble at school, and Heita even begins falling for Q10. A kiss scene between the two is planned." --Tokyograph

Cast
* Sato Takeru as Fukai Heita
* Maeda Atsuko as Q10
* Renbutsu Misako
* Kaku Kento
* Emoto Tokio
* Hosoda Yoshihiko
* Fukuda Mayuko
* Mitsuishi Ken
* Nishida Naomi
* Matsuoka Rinako
* Ikematsu Sosuke
* Shiraishi Kayoko
* Tanaka Yuji as Ogawa Hou
* Ono Takehiko
* Yakushimaru Hiroko as Yanagi Kuriko
* Matsushima Shota

Production Credits
* Screenwriter: Kizara Izumi
* Producer: Kawano Hidehiro, Koizumi Mamoru
* Director: Kariyama Shunsuke, Sakuma Noriyoshi

Official site
DramaWiki
English subs: GiriGiri Fansubs (announced 2010.10.15)

nikkibell84

Post by nikkibell84 » Oct 18th, '10, 00:51

Has anyone checked this out? I watched the first episode today, RAW. I have to say it's not bad, but I can see it being predicable. My thought is:

Heita has had heart surgery in the past; maybe he starts to reject his heart and he needs another transfer. It looks like Q10 can feel - she cries in her sleep in the promo, and it looks like she could be a weapon of some sort. The two fall in love, and because Q10 wants to make up for her past, she decides to help Heita. We haven't seen her front, but the scene transition from the teachers with Q10 to Heita with his doctor, makes me think Q10 may have a heart. Q10 gives Heita her heart, so he always has a piece of her with him. He then gets together with the classmate that obviously likes him. The end.

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Oct 18th, '10, 04:17

I'm not sure but..
why I think that Q10 was actually made after a human. Cause in the credit towards the end, through her 'vision' at one moment a girl who looks exactly like her runs to her. If the vision is of Q10 then who's that girl then? Just a thought ^^,

roon

Post by roon » Oct 18th, '10, 05:41

nikkibell84 wrote:Has anyone checked this out? I watched the first episode today, RAW. I have to say it's not bad, but I can see it being predicable. My thought is...
I see it going that way as well. It would be an entertaining watch if they make it entertaining, but the first episode was kind of a snoozefest. Hope the next episodes are more interesting!

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Oct 19th, '10, 13:23

saw it today.

Takeru is really cute and did a good job but the girl who plays Q10 was REAL good! isn't this her first time acting or something? Her voice sounds really robotic. I wonder if they did something to make her voice sound like that.

The story/script is pretty cheesy though. I bet it's going to turn episodic where they solve one student's problem every episode. Gokusen with a robot in place of yangumi. :P

I probably won't download the next episode since it's too cartoonish/childish for me. I mean how could everybody in the school just accepts Q10 as a real girl with her moving/talking like that? and the premise... ^^;; They should have made it more reasonable why they need to keep her as a student and not lock her up in a cupboard or something. -_-;;

Will wait for Takeru's next series. ^^;;

nikkibell84

Post by nikkibell84 » Oct 19th, '10, 21:14

I can see it turning episodic, but it was written by the writer of Nobuta wo Produce, so I have faith in it. Though, I may watch it after the subs come-on.

mako_chan

Post by mako_chan » Oct 20th, '10, 20:01

I look forward to sub. Thanx for share this it :wub:

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Oct 26th, '10, 17:19

Even though I decided to drop this series, I ended up watching ep2 anyway. :P

I just couldn't help myself. After catching only brief glimpses of Takeru in Bloody Monday and Rookies, how can I say no to seeing Takeru on screen all the time in Q10? The kid is cute and it's a pleasure to see him act too! (even though the story could be better)

I have to say I actually like ep2 better. It's a lot better than I expected. (contrary to the huge drop in ratings from ep1 to ep2) I like how there are a lot of little stories interwoven into one episode and not just a story of only one student which could be boring.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Oct 31st, '10, 07:42

Watched the first two episodes, and I like it quite a bit. I actually only decided to watch it because the script is by Kizara Izumi and I've really liked all of their dramas so far--Suika, Nobuta wo Produce, and Sexy Voice and Robo. Not sure its quite as good as any of the previous ones, but like the other ones, I really like the protagonist's monologues at the beginning/ending of each episode. Overall, I don't think the script has really been too cheesy at all (well, at least in terms of the dialogue itself), though it surely does have its cheesy moments like most if not all major network Japanese dramas. It doesn't quite have the quirkiness of Kizara Izumi's past dramas (well, besides the fact that one of the main characters is a robot, lol), but I'm pretty sure this is a series I will stick to at the end.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Oct 31st, '10, 18:31

Watching it right now. Whenever I see robot-chicks I think of Chobits ^_^UU (Not too big on Chobits though lol) But it looks cute so far.
Now I'm on the scene when Takeru is i the bathroom and the principal is holding her up lol. it just made me laugh... and now she woke! And I just paused it! So wondering what will happen next >_<!!!

annoyedwabbit

Post by annoyedwabbit » Nov 3rd, '10, 18:03

I watched the first episode last night (thanks for subbing this, GiriGiri!) and it was better than I was expecting it to be! Granted, I wasn't expecting much from it, since the "robot goes to school, causes romantic mayhem" shtick is kinda not my thing, but... Q10 has heart. Instead of playing the situation for laughs, the shows keeps a sympathetic tone, which I appreciate.
Like Heita's obsession with teeth - it could have been played as an ecchi thing, but instead it's rather sweet. I love it! It's just so weird and human.
The cast of characters - all these strange, disaffected teenagers - has promise. I hope the writers use the characters to their fullest. Anyway, I'm now looking forward to the rest of the drama!

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Nov 3rd, '10, 18:14

The only issue I have with this drama is..
Like how is he gonna fall in love with her? In my opinion, she's too robotic (just the way she talks too.) Like I dunno... Night from Zettai Kareshi wasn't this robotic (in both manga and drama). The only thing that's "human" about her is her physical look. Maybe he likes how child-like she is...? (because that's pretty much what she is since she's a learning-robot) But if some hot android guy was in front of me and acted very robotic, than yeah... I will see him as nothing more than a robot since he's acting exactly like one lol.
But I think watching the mishaps is like the main focus of the show, since well... it's obvious (even if they didn't say it in the synopsis) that he was gonna fall in love with her. So yeah... I think I'm watching mainly for the troubles she'll cause and for Sato Takeru of course ^_^

I can't believe that camera-guy is Nippori from Tumbling! He looks soooo different with that hair (he looks a lot cuter and stands out more) lol

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Nov 4th, '10, 20:54

I think this drama could've turned out to be really stupid, but I agree that it somehow manages to have a really sympathetic and warm atmosphere. I have to admit that I had no idea what that 'sos' scene was actually about, but it didn't feel that cheesy.
The girl is really good, she's from a girl band or something? They must do something to her voice, tho, it can't be that robotic in real life. But yeah, it might be a bit hard to sell that 'falling in love with a robot' stuff, when it really is that robotic. Anyway, I think it started out good and hopefully it will continue to be good.

nerefir

Post by nerefir » Nov 4th, '10, 21:10

Yes, she's a member of AKB48. Though her robot voice simply sounds like she's doing a voice, not really altered, to me.

annoyedwabbit

Post by annoyedwabbit » Nov 5th, '10, 04:30

Craigs wrote:Sombody should sub this series in English. I've heard that it is good. I don't know why nobody hasn't subbed it yet. I would prefer soft subs since I downloaded all the raws already. I can understand some Japanese, but I cannot enjoy it fully without the subs.
http://www.alinalist.com/craigslist/cra ... pa-253.htm
it is being subbed in English. GiriGiri is the group doing it, and they only do softsubs.

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Nov 5th, '10, 04:32

eng sub is available right here on d-addicts
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_89824.htm

Kae

Post by Kae » Nov 5th, '10, 14:52

I think this drama is going to make me teary-eyed.

What's the song that they used in episode 1 that sounds like a classic? It was played during the student activity with SOS, I think.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Nov 6th, '10, 07:01

It's "Sensou wo Shiranai Kodomo tachi" by the JIRO's.

ryuu_kujirai

Post by ryuu_kujirai » Nov 6th, '10, 11:26

noshadow31 wrote:Takeru is really cute and did a good job but the girl who plays Q10 was REAL good! isn't this her first time acting or something? Her voice sounds really robotic. I wonder if they did something to make her voice sound like that.
no, it is not her first time acting. she's the major frontgirl of AKB48, and fans are highly praising her for his talents in singing, dancing, modeling, and acting. Her acting is superb from what I think.. You can see her also on Majisuka Gakuen (main role) and Taiyou to Umi to Kyoushitsu (supporting role).

And about her "robotic" sound.. I think it is her original voice. I think she was specially trained to do that robotic-one-pitch-speech skill while filming this drama.

Aikawa Ringo

Post by Aikawa Ringo » Nov 7th, '10, 10:00

hmm, i watch this for Sato Takeru, this dorama reminds me of Cyborg She, Chobits and Trouble Chocolate

for the girl should she act that robotic? :-(
Even the Zettai Kareshii's robot and Cyborg She's robot is pretty robotic, but I think Q10 is more robotic than them :scratch:
and just like the other said, if she act that robotic, its weird f the classroom mates didn't know she's robot :lol

Well I watch the first episode, its quit good but not that great, I will watch this movie till the end, so I hope, the rest of episode will makes me feel more curious and interesting of course :thumleft:

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Nov 8th, '10, 09:00

ryuu_kujirai wrote: no, it is not her first time acting. she's the major frontgirl of AKB48, and fans are highly praising her for his talents in singing, dancing, modeling, and acting. Her acting is superb from what I think.. You can see her also on Majisuka Gakuen (main role) and Taiyou to Umi to Kyoushitsu (supporting role).

And about her "robotic" sound.. I think it is her original voice. I think she was specially trained to do that robotic-one-pitch-speech skill while filming this drama.
I see. Thanks for the info. I've never seen her before so I mistook her for a newcomer. Still, great talents she's got there! I'm very impressed with her robotic voice :D

Kae

Post by Kae » Nov 15th, '10, 14:39

celticmoon wrote:It's "Sensou wo Shiranai Kodomo tachi" by the JIRO's.

Thank you very much! I am checking it out now.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Nov 16th, '10, 06:49

Just finished eppy 2... *sighs* I'll still keep watching it (I like seeing Takeru and the Tumbling is interesting since I see him differently now) and the show is still bearable but.... this show's particular portrayal of "human falling for a robot" is just so... bad....
Already at the end of the second episode, he's in love with her? In love with what and at least why? >_< I mean does a robotic voice turn him on or something.......? To go from JUST meeting the robot to love in the second episode... I dunno. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

But it is kinda cheesey (so shoujo mangay) but like I said it's still watchable and the other characters interests me. It's so weird seeing that guy who's from LIFE act like this. Because I still see him as that creepy horrible dude and now... he's an otaku so it made me giggle some.

superfilthy

Post by superfilthy » Dec 4th, '10, 17:52

Nomanymore wrote:I'm not sure but..
why I think that Q10 was actually made after a human. Cause in the credit towards the end, through her 'vision' at one moment a girl who looks exactly like her runs to her. If the vision is of Q10 then who's that girl then? Just a thought ^^,
Where is this from? I kind of don't remember, sorry :whistling:

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Dec 7th, '10, 17:00

superfilthy wrote:
you know at the end of every episode where they play the ending theme song? Through Q10's eye camera, we see a girl that looks just like her but does not act robotic.

superfilthy

Post by superfilthy » Dec 8th, '10, 12:17

noshadow31 wrote:
superfilthy wrote:
you know at the end of every episode where they play the ending theme song? Through Q10's eye camera, we see a girl that looks just like her but does not act robotic.
OOOOOOOH. I will check that O.O

*on an unrelated note: YOUR AVATAR :wub: Taemin :wub:

KazeTsukai

Post by KazeTsukai » Dec 21st, '10, 12:27

anyone knows what the song title and artist for the song featured in episode 2? the song sang by the idol hajime

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Dec 23rd, '10, 08:35

@superfilthy Always a delight to meet a fellow Taemint :D

I finished the series weeks ago but forgot to leave my thoughts on the series here
I watched this one for Takeru. The story setting is rather ridiculous I considered dropping but came back anyway for him. ^^ He fit the character nicely without even trying. I mean something about him exudes sadness. His narration sounds nice to the ears as well. Might sound cheesy/intolerable if done by someone else. haha I sound like a fan girl. :P

despite a rather childish plot, one can clearly see the writer's effort to make something meaningful out of the series. something deep with a message. I've got mixed feelings about this. There are some episodes where I think the team did well but others, i cant help but feel they try to hard in creating substances from non-substance. Perhaps it'd be better to erase Q10 from the series, and instead devote to time to each of the student/teacher character to have stronger characters/stories to tell.

It's like I know the series is trying to convey some message but I dont know what that message is. Doesn't that equal failure? (either on my part , their, or both of us)

Apart from that, I like the cinematography. the series is full of beautiful shots especially the sky.

If you've watched it, please share your thoughts as well. :)

dokaben

Post by dokaben » Jan 4th, '11, 06:45

First off, I'm a big fan of the writing team, Kizara Izumi. I thought Suika, Nobuta, and Sexy Voice were all thoughtful dramas with lovable characters and warm humor. These days I don't have much TV time so I tend to follow writers rather than actors. I remember checking the wiki every season hoping for another Kizara drama to appear. So yeah, you could say I had high hopes for Q10!

That said, I thought the series was pretty disappointing. It dragged. And as noshadow31 commented, it was hard to figure out the theme. If I had to guess...
I'd say the struggle to live in the face of impermanence, uncertainty, and death. It seemed like death was the focus of nearly every episode. I understand with the illnesses of the characters it would come up, but after a while I found it excessive and thought it brought everything down. It also seemed out of place in a high school setting, especially with a main character that had overcome such serious health problems. They tried to lighten it by focusing on the joy of life and love and seizing the moment, but they kept bringing it back, especially towards the end.
I enjoyed the earlier dramas because they drew you in with these unique stories and quirky characters, then revealed a deep, often melancholy theme that tied things together and made you reflect.
In Q10 the melancholy suffocated the joy. It seemed like characters were spending more time talking about their sadness and insecurities than actually *doing* anything. Sure, high school dramas and movies are always written by adults reflecting on their youth, but this felt too much like 50-somethings using teenagers as puppets. It was as if the writers were forced to do another high school drama but had used up all their energy and ideas on Nobuta. Maybe they should write for an older cast?
On the bright side...
I thought some of the human/robot observations were interesting. The idea of loving something that's made-up (manga/anime character) or not even human. I liked that Heita gained an appreciation of the world by watching Q10 learn about it...similar to raising a child.

The time travel explanation was an interesting twist. I actually bought into it at first, but felt it got complicated when they threw in his wife's dying wish and the part about forgetting Q10 after a year. Again, they seemed to want a happier ending but kept getting pulled away.

juzdiz

Post by juzdiz » Feb 7th, '11, 05:40

I'm really liking this series. I heard it was made by the same people who did Nobuta Wo Produce (my top fave drama) so as expected, what seems to be shallow subjects have deeper meanings if you pay close attention. So those who are put off at the beginning should give it a chance. And I'd encourage peeps to check out GiriGiri's translation notes. Their explanations about the cultural aspects really do add to the viewing experience. Cheers!

bloggingpig

Post by bloggingpig » Feb 20th, '11, 04:54

IMO, Q10 is a watch only if you have nothing better to watch. Or a die-hard AKB48 fan.
Otherwise, Ayase's "My girlfriend's a cyborg" movie is along the same lines, and a faster, better watch for the story theme.
The beginning and ending is sweet and makes sense, but a lot in between results in those jaw-dropping moments of 'huh?.......huh?........' that usually results from inserting 'odd' moments/ideas/actions into a drama w/o really adding to the storyline and moving the characters along. Wish they really explored the relationship between the two main characters in depth, perhaps even cutting out a lot of the side characters' screen time. (More focus. Like Ayase's Sekaichu....)
That said, best watched in a marathon run of 2-3 days. Just blast through the eps.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Feb 20th, '11, 18:59

I've only watched one episode and haven't decided if I'm going to watch the rest yet but the first episode at least is a message about the overwhelming apathy and belief that you don't have to save someone yelling for help or who just needs help because someone else will that is spreading all over the world.

juzdiz

Post by juzdiz » Mar 1st, '11, 11:52

*sigh* spoke too soon. :-(
I said in an earlier post that I liked this series and I did up to Ep.3 but then it got nonsensical to me after that. I knew it would be somewhat similar to My GF is a Cyborg but I agree with those who said the latter is better.

Really too bad. I had high expectations since it was made by the same people who did Nobuta Wo Produce. It had that old flavor until Heita suddenly fell in love with Q10 around Ep.4. I would rather he keep liking steel towers, it made more sense. I was waiting for some kind of twist or irony till the end but there wasn't one. Just a bunch of philosophies forcibly drawn out of a fantastical situation.

In fairness, the actors were excellent in their roles IMO. I really liked Atsuko Maeda as Q10 but her voice went a pitch higher by Ep.4 and it kinda hurt my ears. Only Yoshihiko Hosoda seemed to have overdone it as Nakao as his character went from timid otaku to a deranged person and then to...whatever (?) It was creepy. I totally don't get Fujino at all.

The whole drama had a lot of interesting characters but the makers failed to tie them together. Really too bad. And it was Takeru Satos' first lead in a drama too. *sigh* Glad he'll be Kenshin. I'm looking forward to that at least.

I'll still be waiting for the rest of Giri-giri's translations. Perhaps I missed something.

sefilily

Post by sefilily » Mar 27th, '11, 08:41

I just finished this. I liked it. I remember watching the first few eps and then dropping it. But then found myself with some free time and decided to finish it.
I'm a little bit confused with the ending.

So Q10 and the other one went back to 2080 or are bouncing and travelling through space and time. Because future 88 year old Heita's letter said something about watching Q10 in a business suit and something about the moon. Kind of wasn't really clear to me what he meant. Probably due to the quality of the subs I was watching with.

Though I loved the sci-fi time travel stuff. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

Drama as a whole was very pretty and uplifting. Though, I was mostly in it fro the Q10 and Heita stuff because maybe I'm getting to old to watch high schoolers and their problem dramas. XDDD