Global Moderator

City Hunter (SBS, 2011)

Post by Ethlenn » May 21st, '11, 11:29

Details:
Title: 시티헌터 / City Hunter
Genre: Romance
Episodes: 20
Broadcast network: SBS
Broadcast period: 2011-May-25 to 2011-Jul-??
Air time: Wednesday & Thursday 21:55
Official Website

Cast:
Lee Min Ho as Lee Yoon Sung
Park Min Young as Kim Na Na
Lee Joon Hyuk as Kim Young Jo
Hwang Sun Hee as Jin Soo Hee
Goo Ha Ra as Choi Da Hye

Extended Cast

Kim Sang Joong as Lee Jin Pyo
Chun Ho Jin as Choi Eung Chan
Kim Sang Ho as Bae Shik Joong
Park Sang Min as Park Moo Yul
Kim Mi Sook as Lee Kyung Hee
Lee Seung Hyung as Song Young Duk
Yang Jin Sung as Shin Eun Ah
Lee Kwang Soo as Go Ki Joon
Kim Byung Choon as Jang Woo Hyun
Shin Young Jin as Kim Mi Ok
Lee Hyo Jung as Lee Kyung Wan
Choi Jung Woo as Chun Jae Man
Choi Il Hwa as Kim Jong Shik
Choi Sang Hoon as Seo Yong Hak

Synopsis:
This is a drama based on Hojo Skasi’s comic ‘City Hunter’. In 2011, Seoul’s troubleshooter solves cases one by one, cases only coming from gorgeous girls. (hancinema)
City Hunter picture gallery

Trailer:
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OL_fUMk5EU0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Interview and BTS of City Hunter cut by yours truly.
And my fresh cut:
한밤의 TV연예 2011-05-19 - City Hunter cast Interview

ILOVEME000

Post by ILOVEME000 » May 21st, '11, 11:54

can't wait for this drama thank for Upload this topic

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 21st, '11, 12:02

Eeechaaaaaan! We miss uuuuu!!! Come back, you naughty girl! :heart:

City Hunter doesn't look like what I expected. I thought it would be mystery romance or something. But this looks more action, drama with maybe romance.
I don't think it will be my kind of series, but if it actually has a plot and is not just about showing Min Ho's muscles and masculine charms, I might check it out.
Not that his muscles and masculine charms are bad to look at, but they don't get me doing for a whole series. I didn't even watch Fugitive and its muscly Rain.

I wish they'd make City Hunter really dark, like the poster. But good kind of dark. Not like The Devil which turned melo. Leave the melo out, make it raw and awesome.
I want mystery, I want twisted souls, I want darkness and treachery, I want mind-f*ck games and all around awesomeness. No kdrama lame soap-opera-ey cliches.

Ok, won't get that, but I can still wish it. Ehehe. The plot still feels a bit all over the place though. Like, there's no mention of a main plot. Just him getting different cases.
I'm guessing there is one and I'm guessing they want us to see it develop through the cases he handles, but it would still be nice to know more than "guy+guns+girls".

Still, Min Ho and his mud fight make me curious enough to watch the first 2-3 episodes and see how things go. Only cause I like the guy and want to see his progress.

... Ok, and his muscles, alright?!? His progress as an actor and a fine man who is looking even manlier than the last time we all saw him in something. There...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 21st, '11, 12:06

Ouch, Ori, dear, it was a subtle allusion^^ I bet someone is crying already... and some shrieking eels... I mean, nevermind.
Yes, I'm back after hellish 3 days!! I missed you all!! :mrgreen:

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » May 21st, '11, 12:07

I'm gonna watch it for Park Min Young ..I'm not sure about Minho acting >_>;;;

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 24th, '11, 10:18

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » May 24th, '11, 19:05

Fingers crossed for this drama :pray:
Some photos

This one is soooooooo cuuuuuute
And like always

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 24th, '11, 19:24

Love the tongue. Love the last picture, for that matter... Min Ho is.. Well, he's looking mighty manly lately. *wipes drool*

If Min Ho is the only good thing in the series, I was telling my mom that it can keep me watching for 2 episodes, tops.
Seeing these pics, I'd say I can handle 3-4 of them. For his sake alone. Unless it does turn out to be good. Hope it does.

Also, you just killed Ecchan with your signature...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 24th, '11, 19:32

As we know, Sham26 is bound to destroy me. She is. And I'm easy to be destroyed.

Minho is hawt. Damn, 1987 and he's hawt... Hope the drama will be good. :pray:

mieko

Post by mieko » May 24th, '11, 19:43

This is sooo wrong. It maybe called City Hunter but it ain't anything close to what City Hunter actually is.. The closest thing to a real live action City Hunter was a Hong Kong Flick back in the late 90's called Mr Mumble.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 24th, '11, 19:46

So? The point? :scratch:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 24th, '11, 19:49

I do get people getting pissed about this. Mainly because it feels like they used the name and ties to the original work for publicity, even if all the originality is gone.
I get pissed with i.e the latest Silent Hill games cause they do that. They suck and they still use the name for money-milking. It IS annoying, if you see it that way.

However, that doesn't mean the series won't be good. You just have to stop comparing it to the original and accept it turned out to be completely different.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » May 24th, '11, 19:58

Yeah he's so HOOOOT! and yeah I think he s a good kisser [pervert off]
Oh Ethlenn , you know I cant do this :fear: , I like you too much to destroy you !
@ mieko , how was Mr Mumble ? :lol

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » May 24th, '11, 20:58

Damn, Im so easy XD If there is a hot guy involve then I am SOOOO watching! By the way....LOVE the pics Sham26 :heart:

mieko

Post by mieko » May 24th, '11, 20:59

Orion1986 wrote:I do get people getting pissed about this. Mainly because it feels like they used the name and ties to the original work for publicity, even if all the originality is gone.
I get pissed with i.e the latest Silent Hill games cause they do that. They suck and they still use the name for money-milking. It IS annoying, if you see it that way.

However, that doesn't mean the series won't be good. You just have to stop comparing it to the original and accept it turned out to be completely different.
I just think it shouldn't be called City Hunter since it's nothing remotely close to being cannon.

Minimum-

Saeba should be in his late 30's-Early 40's
Kaori should be a cute short haired tomboy and dresses the part.
The other main "Detective" should be Saeko, not some old guy.
Where's Umibozu & Miki ?
And they don't seem to even go with having Makimura in the beginning.

I would love to see a properly done live action City Hunter series...even the Japanese
didn't do it... So it just get under my skin when something like this comes up.

mieko

Post by mieko » May 24th, '11, 21:07

Sham26 wrote: @ mieko , how was Mr Mumble ? :lol
This was on Youtube.. it's a poorly cut fansub "trailer" but you get the idea.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6yFExN3YRIE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 24th, '11, 21:10

See, I read Iljimae manhwa. And Iljimae wasn't like the one in the drama. Nonetheless, I don't fuss. Initially, they wanted to "go by the book", but in the meantime (6 months) the concept changed, but the title stayed. There are no faithful adaptations.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » May 24th, '11, 22:25

mieko wrote: This was on Youtube.. it's a poorly cut fansub "trailer" but you get the idea.
:lol Thanks :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 26th, '11, 21:21

This file I got from a friend, and decided to upload on an external site. I have no idea who made it, since there is no credits at all.
City Hunter preview and press conference
The quality is... well, it's not HD, let's be frank.

Myxale

Post by Myxale » May 27th, '11, 11:45

Judging from your comments guys, it seems that I can safely omit this one. Since only title of the original remains...

bugger...

janajee

Post by janajee » May 29th, '11, 16:21

I am going to watch this!

Hehehehehe :)

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 29th, '11, 16:31

Lol. I think we had an inkling, Jana, wuv. :lol

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 29th, '11, 17:29

Oh, Jana!! We knew this will drag you back here!!

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » May 29th, '11, 20:07

There're viki softsubs out already:
http://www.megaupload.com/?f=DXO81Z8U

Edit: gonna watch this, trying not to think about the manga. Ahh there's my ahjusshi, how i missed him since LiB ;) Keke

Lludara

Post by Lludara » May 29th, '11, 22:38

There's also softsubs out at darksmurfs. I just go there since i look for others as well :D

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 30th, '11, 15:30

I'm two minutes into the first episodes and I do have one observation. Is it just me or is this show filmed with a film camera?
It doesn't feel like a series. The frame rate is not what we usually see on tv. It's a nice idea, if that's the case. Looks good.

Also, can I has spoilers about one thing please? Does the character in the novel LIVE at the end? I know they might change the live action series, but I can at least somehow prepare if this is probably going to be the case.

Like I've said before, I'm good with deaths as long as the whole series does give you hints we're headed towards that. And this is action so I'm prepared for it anyway. But it would be nice to have more "inside" info.

Lludara

Post by Lludara » May 30th, '11, 15:51

I have no idea about the City Hunter manga, so I'm watching it from an opinion of having no preconcived notions. I like the first episode, It's going to be interesting to see how he develops.

And i'm kinda like you Orion - i'm preparing myself in case he does die in the end, either to finish his mission or because he suddenly wants to save the one he loves....

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 30th, '11, 15:57

But honestly, I love crappy excuses for doing crazy and cruel things out of will for personal revenge...
My country betrayed me so I'll kidnap your son, turn him into an assassin and plunge him into a life of suffering and death to revenge the death of dear you,
his father, who'd probably rape me with a pineapple for doing this to his wife and depriving his son of a normal happy life with his family in a safe county.
Daaaaamn, I love such worst of the worst characters. It's gonna be gooood. A little less drama please.
Also, as lovely as the visuals are, the ocean scene was screaming "STUDIO" as it was way too bright.
I do get they needed us to see what's going on but it was annoyingly bright and sooo corny! Loled a bit there.

Edit:

Oh my GOD!!! Min Ho is so cuuuute! When did he become this cute?!?! Why has he been playing an arrogant jerk all this time when he does cute so naturally?
Help! I'm melting! MEeeeeeeltiiiing! Ohohoho. Please don't kill teh boy. Teh boy is so lovely. I hope he keeps being so. We might finally get Min Ho in another role! :lol

Edit 2:

Episode 1 is over and I feel like I've been pumped fool of caffeine and sugar. Awesome quality in the action and cinematography and all, ok acting, lovely. A bit too much "drama", but that's ok for now.
IF this keeps going so well and IF they also let the main character live and have a happy ending, this will... Oh man, this will be epic. This will be absolutely one of the best action series I'll have seen.

Also, Min Ho is showing promise. Unlike most of his "fans" who can't see past the shower scene, I actually pay attention to the acting. I think he tries enough for us to owe him that much as viewers.

Also, for the record, I just took a painkiller. I got so pissed at you-know-who... This series is dangerous. It's wrapping me around its trigger-happy finger and I KNOW it will hurt me... Save meeeee!!! :goggle:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » May 30th, '11, 20:09

Ep one was as amazing as Ori said, felt like a movie and came with loads of memorable scenes. Minho is smoking hawt and acting surprisingly GOOD, though I still got that thing for Kim Sang Jung. LOL even as the guy who went crazy for revenge and tries to make the boy an instrument for his plans I got the hawts for him *slightly ashamed*

Too bad the second ep already felt like your usual kdrama, and the mix in with social problems made me wonder whether I was watching a jdrama...anyway, Minho still cute but a lot less attractive in a car than o top of an elephant :lol Gotta wait and see how this drama will turn out. I hope the focus will be on the revenge story and not just the typical love-triangle. Waiting to see Minho getting lost between his humanity and his search for revenge . . . And please let the presidents daughter die or move abroad, no need for her annoying character! Can't wait to see the next ep. One made my expectations rise, two brought me back to the ground . . . wonder which way will be next.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 30th, '11, 20:39

Well, if Min Ho's acting goes back to the usual, at least we can enjoy his nekkidness. But if they turn it into romance meets action meets drama meets melo, I'll hate them. Lol.
Romance is the main issue here. Romance gets lots and feels shallow in most of these cases. Make a revenge story and use romance the right way or don't use it at all then.

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Jun 1st, '11, 14:18

I'm enjoying it for the most part, I'll watch it to the end probably.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jun 1st, '11, 15:11

Omo omo Kim Sang Joong is...so sexy !

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jun 1st, '11, 23:57

Sham26 wrote:Omo omo Kim Sang Joong is...so sexy !
Finally somebody else who appreciates his charm. He made me go crazy in LiB and first ep of city hunter was killing me. Really hope we'll see a LOT more of him in CH... And just for the records, sham habibti, keep your hands off MY ahjusshi :P

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 2nd, '11, 07:57

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jun 2nd, '11, 09:27

Yeh, unni, it is. Just joking. LOL and I am happy I can fangirl about him with another one. Since sham's and my taste are similar to a pretty scary extend, we could start a shared club I guess :P Whatcha think dear?

Oh and about the story...we knew it would be different so I didn't expect it to be following the manga closely and wasn't disappointed. Though I'd love to see a kdrama portray a womanizer like Saeba but I don't mind a fluffy love story with a revenge plot on the sides ;)

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 2nd, '11, 10:20

Will watch Episode 2 today. Finally! Some time to properly enjoy mah series!

Ahaha! Was checking episode 3 and bumped into a scene of Min Ho kicking ass... with a SPOON!!

He will find you... He will catch you... He will hit you...... with-a-spoooon, again and again and agaaain and AGAIIIIN!

Oh man, gotta watch 2 quick and go to 3 asap!

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jun 2nd, '11, 19:31

LMAO the spoon scene was grand. Kekeke but thanks to a certain someone here I almost died from laughter when the again and again and again vid came to my mind. ;)
Series is a really nice watch, much better than expected. Good balance of politics, revenge, fights, romance...enjoyed the mix in ep 2 a lot.
I really like Minho's act thus far. He really is kick ass in the fighting scenes and he's gotten way better at expressing his feelings with his eyes. The whole family play was unnecessary for me but I guess they need to show his soft side like this.
Park Minyoung is pretty as ever but I wish she'd come out stronger, hope they'll give her character some room for development soon.
Aww and there seems to be some rather quick paced development (LOL at how the congressman got delivered in that package) since he left those tags and with the president on his trail and his "dad" back in Korea I can't wait to see the next ep! Also curious about the prosecutor and his dad's involvement with the 'dark side' keke

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jun 2nd, '11, 23:10

Im loving this drama , the first episode got me completely the other ones was good too !
A spoon ?A spoon? That was so good that scene and Minho playing was the kids was so touching ! :cry:
arakira wrote: Finally somebody else who appreciates his charm. He made me go crazy in LiB and first ep of city hunter was killing me. Really hope we'll see a LOT more of him in CH... And just for the records, sham habibti, keep your hands off MY ahjusshi :P
Is that a threat ? hein ? He's so charming not only in episode one but even with a suit , so freaking sexy !!!!
arakira wrote:Yeh, unni, it is. Just joking. LOL and I am happy I can fangirl about him with another one. Since sham's and my taste are similar to a pretty scary extend, we could start a shared club I guess Tongue Whatcha think dear?
Haha , its a good idea Im so honored :D , give me a list of your favorites ahjusshis and spare me the trouble discovering them my self ! Im sure Im gonna like them all !
And please tell me how was the end of the manga ? good ? did he die ? I know its not following it but I wanna prepare my self for the worse! :-(

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 3rd, '11, 08:25

Even if I have to bleed to death, I'm starting this drama.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1rR9NvLUlYs" frameborder="0"></iframe>
song is so-so, but the voice...
Song download thanks to shineepolandfc

Viande

Post by Viande » Jun 3rd, '11, 08:42

Ethlenn wrote:Even if I have to bleed to death, I'm starting this drama.
haha, I just spotted the same. I don't like action at all, but I'm going to give it a try. Though, even Rain couldn't save Fugitive for me...

I love to hear more Jonghyun's singing but that song was a bit cheesy... such an ordinary OST song. While Jonghyun is not an ordinary signer... Waiting for Immortal Song 2. ^^

middlefour

Post by middlefour » Jun 3rd, '11, 17:07

Rain didn't save Fugitive for me, too. Though I adore him a lot, I found that drama soooooo boooooriiiiiiing! LOL

City Hunter started really nice. I wasn't expecting anything. Still not impressed with Lee Min Ho. haha. His fight scenes, even his looks here, reminds me so much of Won Bin in The Man From Nowhere. Using a spoon in a fight scene was new to me. Not bad. Hopefully, he doesn't turn into a wood later on.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jun 3rd, '11, 18:56

@ sham . . . about to compile a looong list for you :mrgreen:
About the ending, I don't really know cause I didn't read the whole manga (the few I read were hilarious though) but I think after a lot of womanizing and his angry partner's bashing they do find to eachother.

Fugitive was beyond all help for me, too. But I have to say apart from maybe the fringe, I see no similarity between the ahjusshi Won Bin and Minho here. His character is totally different. City Hunter is more outgoing, sociable and cunning and far less driven by revenge I think. Oh and, in a fight I'm sure he'd still lose against the ahjusshi :lol

@ Ecchan, do start so we can all fangirl together . . . wher is jana btw? ;)

Viande

Post by Viande » Jun 3rd, '11, 21:44

Hmm seen the first episode now and didn't get that amazing impression.
Firstly, the story in the first episode was like fast-forwarded, except some extremely boring chase scenes or plotting. But I guess I'm watching wrong genre anyway. :lol
Secondly, the acting wasn't that amazing. I couldn't help but laugh when Lee Min Ho was crying hysterically. It looked more like him going crazy than crying. :roll Also in the scene where Yoon Sung's father and his friend were in the water, it looked like the friend was drowning Yoon Sung's father and not his father saving his friend... And the motivation for the plot sounded really stupid too; how did the Yoon Sung's father's friend think he would do a favor to his friend by kidnapping his child and raising him to revenge? It sounded more like revenging to his friend. :scratch:

Btw anyone got "The Jungle Book" feeling about Yoon Sung's childhood? It made me smile a little. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I think I'll try hang on this at least to see if the romance can keep me interested.

janajee

Post by janajee » Jun 3rd, '11, 22:46

@Ate Ara! DID YOU CALL ME?!

Hahahaha, somehow my City Hunter downloads are going slower than my other downloads, so I haven't watched a single episode yet, but do not fear, oh do not fear at all! My love for Lee Min Ho has not diminished a single iota. He is still my number one imaginary husband after all! Kekekekeke.

I'm not much of an action fan, but I can feel the excitement in my bones, MY VERY BONES, knowing I just finished downloading the latest episodes and will have something to watch now! Kekekekekekekekke :)

middlefour

Post by middlefour » Jun 4th, '11, 04:03

arakira wrote:But I have to say apart from maybe the fringe, I see no similarity between the ahjusshi Won Bin and Minho here. His character is totally different. City Hunter is more outgoing, sociable and cunning and far less driven by revenge I think. Oh and, in a fight I'm sure he'd still lose against the ahjusshi :lol
No similarity in the character, yes. I didn't say they're the same. He's just giving me that ahjussi vibe, nothing else. hehe

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 4th, '11, 14:19

I am at episode 3 and I'm loving it. Not too many tears and angst, the leading lady is cliche, but she's not someone you dislike and the overall quality is excellent.

I'm really loving the conflict of the character. He has a side to him that's the kid that never got to experience childhood, but it's not overdone and thus doesn't feel fake. And he has still kept his ethics.
The common ground he has with Nana is that they both have to take on things that people their age should never have to deal with. They were forced to grow up before it was time for them to do so.

Also, it's lovely to see Kim Sang Ho in this role. I think he's the absolute best choice for such a character. He's like anyone's uncle, basically. He has kind eyes and he gives off such an adorable vibe.
You can see how he is the closest thing to a family Yoon Seong has and he gives you a bit of hope and some light in this whole mess. At least SOMEONE who knows of the situation is taking care of him.

So, loving this so far, have many thoughts on it, but frankly, I'd rather watch than sit here and type. Ahaha. Also, the only similarity between Ahjusshi and this, is a young man kicking ass and shooting. :glare:

Also, will someone scrape what used to be me from the floor and give me some smelling salts? Cause this voice is just amazing.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E06VVYIPVDE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jun 5th, '11, 16:54

YAY, finally more screentime for KSJ. I just love the man!!
Ep 4 was really nice, good pace, nice stunts, a good balance of romance and action. Can't wait for the next ep!
And finally City Hunter met another woman. Please let him do at least some clumsy womanizing and have Nana act like Kaori and go crazy about it :lol

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 5th, '11, 17:44

I was wondering, is it just me that is highly impressed at what this series is doing or is it as original and awesome as I find it to be?
I mean, I've only watched 3 non rom-com series from S.Korea so I can't know. Have there been many series like this one AND as good?
Cause right now, this feels like it could be one of the best series I've seen, Korean and non-Korean. And I was wondering about the quality.

We're watching 4 now. It's still going strong, still going wonderfully. The characters make you feel for them and I even shed some tears again.
Also, the acting is going very good. And Min Ho... Damn it, kid, when did you become so talented and such a fine young man too? When, hon?!?!

Also, they used Yim's song in its full-length and for a lovely composition of scenes... I loved that. Cause that song just has to be used properly.

P.S: Ahahaha! "Over and Over". I love it each time I hear greek stuff in Korean series. You would not believe how similar we are. I swear, it's like seeing my own people.
Also, how funny is it that the woman singing this song is Nana Mouskouri. First name, Nana. I wonder if they did that as a little joke. I just love such nice little details.
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OnTQq13O6cE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 9th, '11, 08:56

What is this HUB-thing on the TV in ep 5 at a mark of ~30 min?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 9th, '11, 09:07

Don't see anything in the 720p version. Maybe they have some extras on that scene in the SBS media hub online? And they advertised it during that scene?

It's not uncommon to have lots of banners and stuff during shows. Heck, God's Quiz has something on screen non-stop. Which can get a bit annoying at times.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 9th, '11, 09:56

I'm only after the first episode, but hell, I love it. I LOVE IT!!! The pacing, shooting, music, actors. Damn, have to calm myself...
The reason for the revenge is logical and truthfully, I can understand it fully, so have no problems with accepting the outcome.
It reminds me a bit of Silmido movie. Those criminal-turned-soldiers met the same fate, but those who have seen it know how they ended.

And I just giggled to myself while seeing those politicians:
How they managed to get hem together for this drama, so many familiar faces, kekeke...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 9th, '11, 10:23

Had the same reaction there. I thought "Is the number of middle-aged male actors really that limited in Korea?". It's like everyone's there! Ahaha. Love them 5.

As for the revenge, I understand it because it's clear that the man lost his mind. He just snapped when that happened and is acting on hate every since then.
I just hope he won't take the kid down with him. I'd really love it if the kid lived. The whole "if he had a tough violent life, he has to meet such an end" is cliche.

I would love a series/movie which is dark and serious and doesn't end in tragedy, for a change. Like a certain recent lovely movie of my creep, which made me oh so happy.
I'm all for moving the viewer, make them think, cry, feel sad, but at least leave them with a good outcome. It doesn't ruin the process. But I don't have high hopes for this one.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 9th, '11, 12:17

lol i had the same thought. Especialy Choi Jung Woo (the one in the bottom left picture) is in almostevery other drama/kmovie i've watched (i've seen him in about 20 movies and dramas over the last 3-4 years). In City Hunter they forgott to cast Yoon Joo Sang. If they had him included, then they would really have all middleaged/political leader-actors in KTV. :D

@Orion
Thats the only problem i have with kramas. Almost 90% of them are very genrespecific. In almost all melodramas somone dies from leukemia/cancer/braintumor/accident. In almost all crime/actiondramas i've seen so far, one of the mainleads (or the more important supportcharacters) is killed by the mainvillain, shortly before this villain is caught. In almost all romcoms the girls ends up with the jerk, Almost all maincharacters, who seek revenge or done something bad in their past or kill someone, die in the end, like in
The Devil
. So you can say that with almost 100% accuracy that Lee Jin Pyo will die and one of the 4 mains dies also (not 100% sure)

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 9th, '11, 13:20

Exactly. I personally approve of a heroic bad ending. If someone is gonna die, kill them in a way that their death BETTERS others' lives.
Make me, as a viewer see why it had to be that way to at least ease my pain. Since you made me care about the person and all.

But these "just cause" deaths that serve absolutely no purpose other than to leave things black and numb, I can't stand at all, myself.

I do want each series to stick to its genre. A romantic comedy should not have deaths. But that doesn't mean a melo or action should.
Not lead deaths, I mean. If this does have a happy ending and I ever meet the writer, I'll give em a big hug and give them a big bow.

Unless a death happens to make things better for people that deserve them, it's just a way to fake depth. It's almost like an obsession where they feel it's not good enough unless they do that.
Make the deaths mean something so that when I close my TV after having watched for 2-3 months, I feel light in my heart. If I want to be depressed and emo, I'll watch the news, damn it. XD

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 9th, '11, 13:36

I like happy endings too^^. and i also see, which benefits such genrespecific storys have. So can the viewer choose what he likes and watch just such dramas. I just have the suspicion, that the writers can't think of a sad kdrama which doesn't end with the death of the maincharacter. Somebody should tell them, that there are a lot possible and sad endings, which don't involve death. For example: the lovers seperate at the end, as the reality strikes them, the villain can win (for example in a battle between two heirs the villain can win), etc. Ok i know some older dramas are like this, but almost all recent sad dramas end with death

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 9th, '11, 15:27

I think we were watching different dramas, or I can't do the math, because from my statistics there was no leukemia/teary disease story case in any of those. Oh, but then again I don't watch Winter Sonata-type of dramas.

I don't mind death in the drama if this is explained in a logical way, and does not belong to "wtf category".
Off to watch some moar!!

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 9th, '11, 15:33

City Hunter rocks and it's at least a series where death is expected. So I have no problem here, as much as I wish he'll live.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jun 9th, '11, 16:05

Exactly , I havent watch the 5th episode yet , but it's a BEAUTIFUL drama , I know its not the appropriate word but this is how I feel while watching it so I hope it will get better and better !
Fighhhttttiinng !
@ Ethlenn , yaaaay you joined us !

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 9th, '11, 16:53

And to those "fans" who can only talk about Min Ho's looks, nice figure and showers, if you love the kid that much, maybe you should also look at his wonderful and more matured acting.

You know, cause real actors kind of like feedback on their skills and work and not just how hot they look under running water and covered in mud. Also nice, but not the only thing about him.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 9th, '11, 17:08

Seriously, I expected nekkid Minho, doubting a bit he can carry the role. But in fact 1987-born serious guy is working hard. I can see the improvement and I like what I see. I bet heavier parts are to come, but as for now, the emotional scenes were good. Bratty scenes were good too.
:mrgreen:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 9th, '11, 17:30

Ethlenn wrote:I think we were watching different dramas, or I can't do the math, because from my statistics there was no leukemia/teary disease story case in any of those. Oh, but then again I don't watch Winter Sonata-type of dramas.
Perhaps its just my luck. i don't realy like such disease-storys or accidentstorys, but everytime i watched melodramas, it was always something between the lines of disease and accident.
For example
Sry i love you, Snowqueen, A Love to Kill (not leukemia or cancer, but the deaths of Min Ah and Rain were really the dumbest and unnecesseriest deaths i've seen so far), Stairway to Heaven, Tree of Heaven and a few more.
I like such dramas like City Hunter a lot. Its not deadserious, but also not to light. The only thing I don't understand and like, is the name City Hunter. imho its just as dumb as to call King Arthur movie "Star Wars" (well it has knights and princesses like Star Wars). It has absolutly nothing to do with each other.
Story: different (well Ive seen just half of the animeepisodes, but i have the idea)
Characters: different (Ryo is a wannabe playboy who doesn't get the girls, while this City Hunter pretends to be a playboy, but netherless gets all the girls, if he wants them. The only similarity is, that the are both good shots).
But i think this point was discussed^^.
Last edited by Silverman on Jun 9th, '11, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 9th, '11, 17:47

Yes, some fans call it (and probably cast too) the prequel to what happened in manga (I didn't read and didn't watch the anime, so I don't know).

As for dramas: I've seen only Sorrry I Love you, and Love To Kill from your list, Snowqueen I dropped cause it was dumb.
If they kill off all the characters here, that would make sense as well.
Almost all of the characters died in Revenge of Gumiho, but that wasn't even in slightest a comedy, so yes...

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 9th, '11, 18:09

In the manga Kaoru (Na Na) is the sister of Ryo's (City Hunter) partner. Ryo and his partner are jacks of all trades. One day the partner dies and Ryo takes care of the sister and she becomes his new partner. Well you can say its a prequel, if you say that Na Na is not Kaori, and he becomes the City Hunter at the end of the drama and there he would be a detective and then there will be a real kaori and a partner and Na Na doesn't matter and he becomes a real playboy and there will be changes in his character. But then again, if its so, then its just a wannabeprequel, because you can make a King Arthur movie and say its the prequel of Starwars and a Movie about the beginning of the Jedis. So again it doesn't make sence.

Yes i know that melodramas are defined through tragic and sadness, but i don't like, that this sadnesseffect is always caused by death (at least in the melodramas ive seen).

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 9th, '11, 19:32

After Ep 02... and I'm already irritated so far we have 6 episodes, because damn, this is too good.

Another familiar face! He was Jo Guk's right hand man in City Hall, woohoo!!
But... nobody mentioned it, you know, all that money that Lee Jin Pyo has comes from the drug dealing. They produced drugs in the Golden Triangle, and I think it's morally shady. Just saying. I wonder if this will be explored more here.
Last edited by Ethlenn on Jun 10th, '11, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 9th, '11, 20:43

I think that's another nail in his coffin called "excuses". He took a baby from its mother, wife of the man who died for him, raised it to be a criminal and got to this point by destroying so many innocent people.
His is driven by hate and anger for what was done to him, not by true motives of justice and righteousness. Which is what makes him despicable to me. And makes any solid point in his argument meaningless.

P.S: I knew I'd seen that cutie prosecutor somewhere. I had nice feelings about him. No wonder...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 10th, '11, 09:11

Eyecandy:
Yes, I'm that shallow.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 10th, '11, 10:09

Prosecutor overload... :faint:

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jun 10th, '11, 15:10

:cry: I don't wanna prefer the second male lead , I m already suffering from tis in "Greatest love"
Whey Ethlenn! Whhheeeey !!!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 10th, '11, 15:19

Cause I'm a bad, bad girl... Damn, this will be probably my first drama to suffer the state of being torn between leads. Well, I can call it my first time... ekhem...
:whistling:

Greatest Love? Who's the second lead? ufufufu... :mrgreen:

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Jun 10th, '11, 17:14

Yoon Sung's jealousy is so entertaining which is why I like the second lead but I don't exactly want Nana to end up with him. The second female lead is still very much a mystery but I need Nana to start showing some obvious signs of jealousy. It was ever so slight at the shooting range but I hope we get to see something from her at the beginning of episode 7.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 10th, '11, 20:32

All other versions of City Hunter:
All other versions: 720 HANrel and HanSun, and 1080 HanSun here

Girls Day City Hunter OST Part 3

PS. Somebody, pretty please, kill the President's daughter. The girl makes me want to shred my pc...
Last edited by Ethlenn on Jun 11th, '11, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 11th, '11, 00:01

yea 20 yo women, who act, like 12 yo girls are disgusting, even if they are cute(i mean the 20 yo women/girls).

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 11th, '11, 11:08

And guys find such girls annoying, right?

I wonder when and how Nana will find out who her Daddy Long Legs is. I bet she won't be happy about it. :whistling:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 11th, '11, 12:56

Yes we do. Even if some men have a certain level of attraction to such girls, a relationship with them doesn't last. Even if at first you can ignore such things. After the first crushfeelings wear of, its just annoying and an end is inevitable (well at least if the man wants a normal relationship and noch just a sexfriend).

ziliey

Post by ziliey » Jun 11th, '11, 15:43

Hi guys....
I've been watching City hunter and I have got to say it is by far the best Korean drama that I have watched...
I'm loving the action the story and the acting...
It's all going awesome and since none of my friends have been able to start CH I thought I'd flail here!!
I've watched up till the 4th episode and I can't believe the action scenes!!!
Especially MinHo's.... Love the triangle thing starting between him, NaNa and the prosecutor dude.... I'm hoping for more action scenes that make me hold my breath in awe!!!!
has anyone watched the 5th and 6th episode yet???
8)