Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Poklin

Post by Poklin » Jul 19th, '11, 08:20

So it's been a real long time since i watched a jdrama last things i remember watching are Bloody monday 2 and Tokyo Dogs and i was just wondering there is any must watch over the past year and a half/two years, thanks!.

dennis008

Post by dennis008 » Jul 21st, '11, 07:11

anyone can recommend me a drama something like proposal daisakusen
romance comedy +friendship!!! i like this genre !!

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jul 21st, '11, 09:29

dennis008 wrote:anyone can recommend me a drama something like proposal daisakusen
romance comedy +friendship!!! i like this genre !!
Try Love Revolution :-) Fujiki Naohito in his best role, seriously.

http://jdorama.com/drama.553.htm

dennis008

Post by dennis008 » Jul 21st, '11, 10:07

i dont think i cant find it...maybe another want can ???? give me 2006 onwards

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jul 21st, '11, 10:47

dennis008 wrote:i dont think i cant find it...maybe another want can ???? give me 2006 onwards
Love Revolution: http://www.mysoju.com/japanese-drama/love-revolution/

Or you can try Hotaru no Hikari - there are 2 seasons, 2007 & 2010.

2007: http://jdorama.com/drama.1192.htm
2010: http://jdorama.com/drama.1535.htm

chili01

Post by chili01 » Jul 22nd, '11, 02:47

Hi, I hope this is the right forum. I'm looking for suggestions on some JDrama. It's been a while since I last watched. The last one I saw was Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, which I re-watched last night. I guess I'm looking for something lighthearted, I prefer something in an adult setting (like kekkon dekinai Otoko) but wouldn't mind High School Dramas (last HS drama I saw was My Boss My Hero).
I've seen:
HanaKimi
Brother Beat
Sexy Voice and Robo (I think i'm going to watch it again)
Dragon Zakura (surprisingly I didn't like this one)
Boss season 1 (but I didn't finish)
Yankee-kun to Megane-chan (I guess this makes it the last HS drama I saw)
GTO (of course)
Galcir o.O
tokyo dogs (didn't finish)
and some other ones I cannot remember lol.

Anyway, I was checking out some Abe Hiroshi TV dramas and they seem too serious. Can't find Tomoya dramas either. As you can see I watch a variety of genre. I guess for now I'm looking for a lighthearted romance with a bit of slice of life?

Thanks in advance!

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jul 22nd, '11, 06:29

chili01 wrote:Anyway, I was checking out some Abe Hiroshi TV dramas and they seem too serious.
Have you tried Antique? It's got Abe in it, though as a supporting role. But he's hilarious in there: http://jdorama.com/drama.579.htm

Did you like Galcir? :P

chili01

Post by chili01 » Jul 22nd, '11, 08:35

kitty10 wrote:
chili01 wrote:Anyway, I was checking out some Abe Hiroshi TV dramas and they seem too serious.
Have you tried Antique? It's got Abe in it, though as a supporting role. But he's hilarious in there: http://jdorama.com/drama.579.htm

Did you like Galcir? :P
thanks for the suggestion. Surprisingly I actually liked it. It at least got me to like Toda Erika. Though the cowboy thing and the ending is a bit far fetched lol

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jul 22nd, '11, 09:51

chili01 wrote:thanks for the suggestion. Surprisingly I actually liked it. It at least got me to like Toda Erika. Though the cowboy thing and the ending is a bit far fetched lol
I like Galcir too, it was silly and a lot of fun :D Toda Erika was all right, but so skinny. The girls' stories didn't interest me though, I was laughing my head off at Fujiki Naohito's cowboy, Geronimo and the policeman Ichinose. And little Momo, so cute!

Oh, and in the off chance you haven't watched it, I recommend Hero - again, Abe plays a supporting role to Kimura Takuya's public prosecutor, but I thought Abe and Otsuka Nene shone among the supporting cast.

http://jdorama.com/drama.461.htm

cswalker

Post by cswalker » Jul 23rd, '11, 00:53

Hey guy/gals! Just wondering if I can get a few recommendations. I started watching about 2 years ago. Most of what I've watched has been by sorting Jdrama, eng sub, most seeders, and picking what sounds good. I first started with:
GOOD LUCK!
which I really really liked. I think its my Favorite.
After that I watched:
TOKYO DOGS
which was awesome.
Then I moved onto
Akai Ito & Smile
They were pretty good. Not entirely my cup of tea, but enjoyable none-the-less. Though, I didn't finish smile (can't remember why).
On recomendation I watched:
Mei-chan no Shitsuji
which was fun
Then I caught onto:
BOSS
Which is a total blast. I had never seen a Japanese show with a second season, so I was exstatic when I saw there was one.

I tried a "history" one (sorr can't remember name), but it just didn't hold my attention. I, also, tried Mr. Brain, but I think it was too much "CSI" for my taste. Based on these, can you awesome folks give me a few recommendations?

chili01

Post by chili01 » Jul 23rd, '11, 06:36

^ I really liked GOOD LUCK! too, I almost wanted to be a pilot lol
I suggest My Boss My Hero. It is pretty funny and one of my favorites. It's a bit older though.
Another that I can suggest is the old HanaKimi Drama. I felt like every actor/actress just had fun while they were filming.

I will try Hero. Hopefully I find it :D

Edit*

I got done with Trick Season, just waiting for season 2 torrent to finish. Can anyone recommend a good romance? Preferably not the high school setting?

manopatano

Post by manopatano » Jul 24th, '11, 23:18

control was good...
any fun new drama.. ??
any recent drama with very good OST ???

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jul 25th, '11, 00:04

chili01 wrote:Can anyone recommend a good romance? Preferably not the high school setting?
I feel like I'm hogging this thread :fear: Well, this page at least...

But yes, I must recommend Love Revolution - scroll up to see my post on this. It's not high-school at all - the leads are successful thirty-somethings, the acting is solid all-round, plot is tight, and great soundtrack. It's pretty much my favourite J-drama.

If you don't mind older doramas of the 90s, try also Long Vacation, Over Time and Love Generation. For something a little more recent (ie 2004), try Itoshi Kimi e. None of these have high-school settings.

Itoshi Kimi e: http://jdorama.com/drama.813.htm
Love Generation: http://jdorama.com/drama.243.htm
Long Vacation: http://jdorama.com/drama.239.htm
Over Time: http://jdorama.com/drama.313.htm

manopatano

Post by manopatano » Jul 25th, '11, 00:15

Any good Japanese Film ??
and any good recent detective drama/ crime/advocate drama ...
besides any good high school fun drama ,, recent ones please.. 2009 onwards..

chili01

Post by chili01 » Jul 25th, '11, 01:35

kitty10 wrote:
chili01 wrote:Can anyone recommend a good romance? Preferably not the high school setting?
I feel like I'm hogging this thread :fear: Well, this page at least...

But yes, I must recommend Love Revolution - scroll up to see my post on this. It's not high-school at all - the leads are successful thirty-somethings, the acting is solid all-round, plot is tight, and great soundtrack. It's pretty much my favourite J-drama.

If you don't mind older doramas of the 90s, try also Long Vacation, Over Time and Love Generation. For something a little more recent (ie 2004), try Itoshi Kimi e. None of these have high-school settings.

Itoshi Kimi e: http://jdorama.com/drama.813.htm
Love Generation: http://jdorama.com/drama.243.htm
Long Vacation: http://jdorama.com/drama.239.htm
Over Time: http://jdorama.com/drama.313.htm
Thanks, I'm trying to find love revolution in DVD quality. Also yes, I am looking for something a little more recent as I do have trouble finding the older ones.
Thanks again!

panadol

Post by panadol » Jul 27th, '11, 12:25

Dear forum,

I just recently watched At Home Dad, Kekkon Dekinai otoko, Mukodono season 1, Akimahende, Dare yori mo mama wo aisu, shiroi haru, shinzanmono, change!...

I just like these family comedies... especially with Abe ini it... any recommendations?

Serious dramas finished Liar Game, The Quiz Show season 1, Kaiji...

I just like these psychological dramas... especially with human lies type of psychology... any recommendations?

Ecchi dramas finished Moteki, shimokita glory days... these are fun to watch... weak guys surrounded and liked by pretty ladies... any recommendations?

Okane ga nai, love shuffle, trick, damens walker, densha otoko, are also great dramas!

PS: I can't finish MAOU, Bloody Monday 2 (1st season is good)... dunno why... too serious I guess... I finished unubore deka and karei naru spy... I watched these because got Tomoya ini it... but they're so so only... My Boss My Hero is especially good... Bayside Shakedown movie is great... the drama is too draggy... I still manage to finish it because of the female lead... :P

xploring

Post by xploring » Jul 27th, '11, 12:43

For psychological drama, may be try Ai Nante Irane Yo, Natsu? I don't know if it has English subtitles though.

Satorare is light-hearted and good fun.

panadol

Post by panadol » Jul 27th, '11, 13:18

xploring wrote:For psychological drama, may be try Ai Nante Irane Yo, Natsu? I don't know if it has English subtitles though.

Satorare is light-hearted and good fun.
thanx... I'll try those... :cheers:

saladyum

Post by saladyum » Jul 27th, '11, 15:18

Hi everyone, i'm a new member.
I was searching for J-dramas recs then this forum came up. So glad!

Could some one care to suggest some doramas?

I've watched several:

Pride (love!)
Love Generation (love)
Long Vacation (love)
Good Luck! (like)
Engine (ok)
Aishiteiru to Itte Kure (like, near love)
Nagare Boshi (like)
Tokyo Love Story (ok)
Love Revolution (ok)
Orange Days (ok)
Hana yori Dango (ok)
Kimi wa Petto (ok)
Buzzer Beat (bleh)
Nobuta wo Product (didn't finish)
Nodame Cantible (didn't finish)
Tatta Hitotsu no Koi (didn't finish)
Hotaru no Hikari (didn't finish)
Love Shuffle (watching, possibly won't finish)

I guess I like the "oldies" and older actors more than newer ones. I'm looking for doramas that are romantic, has hot guys, and not too heavy (I couldn't finish Aoi Tori b/c it was too heavy).
I'd appreciate any recs.

manopatano

Post by manopatano » Jul 28th, '11, 20:40

saladyum wrote:Hi everyone, i'm a new member.

I've watched several:

Pride (love!)
Love Generation (love)
Long Vacation (love)
Good Luck! (like)
Engine (ok)
Nagare Boshi (like)
Tokyo Love Story (ok)
Love Revolution (ok)
Orange Days (ok)
Hana yori Dango (ok)
Kimi wa Petto (ok)
Buzzer Beat (bleh)

I guess I like the "oldies" and older actors more than newer ones. I'm looking for doramas that are romantic, has hot guys, and not too heavy (I couldn't finish Aoi Tori b/c it was too heavy).
I'd appreciate any recs.

HYD is the best Jdrama ever

manopatano

Post by manopatano » Jul 30th, '11, 06:13

Any drama with a Muslim character...

saladyum

Post by saladyum » Jul 31st, '11, 04:00

manopatano wrote: HYD is the best Jdrama ever
Thanks for your reply. HYD is a fun show, but I've already watched it and am looking for a/some shows that I haven't seen yet, the more the better.
I usually prefer the oldies, romance, not too heavy doramas. Looking at the few shows on my list, I guess there are many more I haven't watched. If you or anyone happens to have the same preference, I would really like to know your fav's.

manopatano

Post by manopatano » Jul 31st, '11, 05:17

i like romance and light dramas but not oldies...

bakura_revenge

Post by bakura_revenge » Jul 31st, '11, 15:12

i think no one has name this drama yet, or maybe i miss it

try it out: SATORARE

ill sure most of u like it

kiriyama_s

Post by kiriyama_s » Aug 4th, '11, 07:32

saladyum wrote:Hi everyone, i'm a new member.

I've watched several:

Pride (love!)
Love Generation (love)
Long Vacation (love)
Good Luck! (like)
Engine (ok)
Nagare Boshi (like)
Tokyo Love Story (ok)
Love Revolution (ok)
Orange Days (ok)
Hana yori Dango (ok)
Kimi wa Petto (ok)
Buzzer Beat (bleh)

I'd appreciate any recs.
Sounds like you enjoy Kitagawa Eriko dramas (Long Vacation, Orange Days) so you might enjoy some of the other ones she has written.

Since you liked Long Vacation (1996), you might also try Over Time (1999) and Sunao ni Narenakute (2010). All three deal with similar themes but there are really big differences too. I like to think about whether the differences might reflect Kitagawa's own changing attitudes towards love. Regardless, all three dramas are a lot of fun to watch.

One more Kitagawa drama you might like is Beautiful Life (2000). It stars Kimura Takuya and Tokiwa Takako and it's an absolute classic. A definite must see. It will make you laugh and cry.

bunnydancer

Post by bunnydancer » Aug 5th, '11, 03:28

I usually prefer the oldies, romance, not too heavy doramas. Looking at the few shows on my list, I guess there are many more I haven't watched. If you or anyone happens to have the same preference, I would really like to know your fav's.
I watched Double Kitchen recently although the drama is quite old (1993) it's comedy and acting has held up through the years. One of my favorites.

panadol

Post by panadol » Aug 5th, '11, 13:26

SATORARE IS REALLY GREAT! THANK YOU FOR RECOMMENDING THIS GREAT DRAMA! :D :D :D

erikai

SEXY JDRAMA

Post by erikai » Aug 7th, '11, 04:59

hey can someone please recommend a sexy jdrama? you can pm me for replies... thanks..

saladyum

Post by saladyum » Aug 7th, '11, 05:45

Thanks so much for your recs!
I've been picking up doramas based on the look of posters and sometimes actor's names, but don't have much luck so far. So happy to see your recs.

@manopatano: romance and light dramas are lovely arent they. They are my favorite too. I usually prefer Japanese dramas of the 90's, or generally dramas with older actors. Among younger ones, I mostly watch Ayase Haruka, MatsuJun and Tsumabuki Satoshi (only 2-3 dramas each actor). I haven't watched many at all. It's very likely I'm missing out on good shows.

@bakura_revenge: quickly adding Satorare to my list. Thank you!

@kiriyama_s: oh yes, I love Beautiful Life. 100% agree with you, it made (and still does on my occasional rewatch) cry buckets. But it always leave a hopeful and sweet after taste. I love Tokiwa Takako. Her acting feels honest, so her characters are real to me. Do you have other favorite dramas with Takako? I've only watched Aishiteru to Itte Kure, and Beautiful Life.
I'm downloading Over Time now. Sunao ni Narunakute is on my list. Thank you!

@bunnydancer: quickly adding Double Kitchen. Thank you!

Before I saw your recs, I was watching doramas randomly. I've found 2 that are very good: Gaikoukan Kuroda Kosaku and Jin. Neither of them is romance, but I found the stories engaging and actors lovely.

forestmaiden71

Post by forestmaiden71 » Aug 8th, '11, 23:44

@panadol I recommend finishing Maou...I had a really hard time finishing it as well, but I'm glad I did. The end is super super good. :)

panadol

Post by panadol » Aug 9th, '11, 12:02

forestmaiden71 wrote:@panadol I recommend finishing Maou...I had a really hard time finishing it as well, but I'm glad I did. The end is super super good. :)
OK. Will do try and finish. The 1st 7 episodes are really good... but it gets really draggy till the end... I'll see how it ends :lol

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Aug 16th, '11, 20:37

I have this dissertation to write for uni and I'm looking for something to distract me during my breaks. Would anyone have any recommendation? I usually watch rather sad dramas but right now I'm in the mood for something funny. I'd love to watch something that doesn't take itself too seriously but that is not overly romantic or overly corny. I watched about two episodes of "Himitsu no Hanazono" but the story was getting a little boring so I stopped. I would love to watch something along the lines of "Hotaru no Hikari" which has got to be one of my favourite dramas. :)

Other comedies I've watched:

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (really enjoyed it!)
Nodame Cantabile (not my thing to be honest)
Densha Otoko (liked it ok)

Thanks in advance!

antspace

Post by antspace » Aug 16th, '11, 21:12

I would recommend Don Quixotte. It's quite funny with Matsuda Shota! Then I would always recommend Tiger & Dragon. It's probably my favorite drama :-)

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Aug 16th, '11, 22:01

Keikan: how about Galcir? It's completely silly and maybe kinda stupid - a cowboy from Arizona comes to Shibuya to find someone - but I found it really funny. If you watch it with zero expectations, maybe you'll like it too: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Galcir

Something a little older: Antique, about four men and a cake shop. Very funny too, and the cakes look awesome: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Antique

Edit: for a rom-com, try Love Revolution: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Love_Revolution

howtwosavealif3

Post by howtwosavealif3 » Aug 20th, '11, 14:34

I recommend mop girl and hanazakari no kim itachi e and seigi no mikata for comedies!

Doctorhabib

Post by Doctorhabib » Aug 21st, '11, 15:13

Hello everyone.

It has been a while since I could find a decent Drama...and Im looking for something

Something about Family Values and Current day society in Japan (YOu know like how Freeter , ie o kau was) something about family especially.

I tthank in advance for your help

antspace

Post by antspace » Aug 21st, '11, 15:33

I would say Marumo no okite! About a single man looking after the kids of his deceased friend. Quite funny, but also very touching at times: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Marumo_no_Okite.

For a different look on family values you could also try Home drama. About people trying to recover from having lost loved ones in a deadly bus accident: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Home_Drama.

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Aug 21st, '11, 15:59

Some disfunctional family stories can be found Mother, Boku to Kanojo to Kanojo, Yasashii Jikan

There are many special about handicaped family member (i.e. blind pair raise child in Ai wa Mieru or seaf single mother in Kokoro no Ito) and the conflicts in family/society.

From current drama season you should try IS

Kazu1582

Post by Kazu1582 » Aug 27th, '11, 23:18

I can only second antspace,
A really good Family Drama is 'Home Drama'
because it's not the usual family story,
but about how unrelated people can become a family naturally.
Really warm and touching :)

nangkabusuk

Post by nangkabusuk » Aug 30th, '11, 15:20

hello guys, can anyone recommend me a good sports/high school drama? just finished watching H2 and ROOKIES. somewhere along that line of drama would be great!

thanks in advance :D

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 30th, '11, 22:18

I'm looking for romantic dramas, which are not in a highschool-setting, but are also not too "dark" and "realistic". Well i will explain, what i want to say with my discription.
Well first, i don't like to watch a drama, where 15 year old characters are in a relationship. I'm not a teenager, so it's kinda hard for me to feel with them and their teenager-problems, while they handle a pimple like armageddon(i know it's exaggerated). So i want more mature characters 20+(i mean characters not actors, simply because a lot of them are 20+, even if they play teenagers).
It also doesn't have to be too serious and dark. It can be funny, but not too silly, where the characters jump in a exaggerated manner over the whole screen, like in Ouran Host Club. It can be a manga/anime-adaptation, but it doesn't have to be an exact copy of the mangas or animes, but with real actors (again I refer here to Ouran Host Club or Hana Kimi...it feels like a cartoon). The level of silliness i can take is Celeb to Binbo Taro and Proposal Daisakusen. It doesn't necessarily need to be realistic. It also can be like Zettai Kareshi or Juunen Saki mo Kimi ni Koishite(unrealistic, but not too silly).

Does anyone have some recommentations?

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 30th, '11, 22:58

It depends if you're looking for old or new. I haven't watched many of the new jdramas lately because of some of their silly writing or plain boring. I prefer some of the older romance movies and dramas like Bara gai nai hanaya. Maybe you might be interested in other genres like medical, detective, or suspense? I loved Young Black Jack. Pretty interesting. It's based on a manga.

There's a family drama that doesn't really revolve around romance too much but there's some in it. Actually there's a couple I am hoping they develop a relationship which seemed to have potential at the end. Maybe they will end up dating in the special. I highly recommend Marumo no Okite. The cast, writing, acting and chemistry is really good. I think it's the best drama this year. I would say Jin 2 could have been best drama this year too but it was a bit of a disappointment. I preferred Jin more.

If you really want romance, there's historical romance. You could check out Gou. Tempest looks interesting as well. I'm waiting for the drama to finish first before I watch.

antspace

Post by antspace » Aug 30th, '11, 23:26

@nangkabusuk
I just watched a fairly interesting sports drama called Dream Again, it has Sorimachi Takashi, Kato Ai and Shida Mirai. It's not very high school though. It's about a dead guy trying to become a professional Baseball player :P

@Silverman
Of course there are plenty of romantic doramas without the high school thingy: I'm watching Hanawake no Yon Shimai at the moment and that's good fun.
Another one that I really like is Kekkon dekinai otoko, with Natsukawa Yui and great acting by Abe Hiroshi :-)

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 31st, '11, 00:08

Thank you for the recommendations. I will look into them.

WAIT: Black Jack as live action? That i have to watch.

porcupine

Post by porcupine » Aug 31st, '11, 00:27

Don't overlook Dr Koto Shinryoji for a great adult love story and an enjoyable human drama.
Shibasaki Kou is terrific in the female lead, but the entire series is populated with terrific actors of all ages and both genders.
2 seasons 2003 and 2006 plus 2 specials in between the seasons.
If there are no seeds, PM me and I will be glad to accommodate.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 31st, '11, 01:23

Maybe Dr. Koto is a bit old ^^; I found the drama to be a bit slow but still interesting I guess. There wasn't much of a love story there I think? Dr. Koto is a geek. He doesn't seem to be interested in any females except medicine.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 31st, '11, 11:44

A few "detective-lite" dramas would be interestin too. Something not too CSI-like(for example Boss is too, i don't have a better description, "realistic") . More like Mopgirl or Conan would be great.

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Aug 31st, '11, 12:02

Detective-lite like Deka Wanko?

tinkerbell
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by tinkerbell » Aug 31st, '11, 12:54

You may also like something like Kimi hannin ja nai yo ne. I thought it had a similar feel to Mop Girl. And it`s basically a comedy about solving detective mysteries.

My personal favourite from this detective-comedy genre is Jikou Keisatsu and I definetely recommend this one.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 31st, '11, 12:57

Ok Deka Wanko is alittle bit overboard with comedy for my taste, but still watchable.

nangkabusuk

Post by nangkabusuk » Aug 31st, '11, 13:31

can someone help seed gal circle the complete batch and shokojo seira .
thanks in advance :thumright:

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Aug 31st, '11, 14:10

nangkabusuk wrote:can someone help seed gal circle the complete batch and shokojo seira .
Please use the seed request index (link is on the start side in the Torrents box) to find the proper thread in seed request subforum and ask there. Some people subcribed the request threads.

Be more specifc in seed requests. shokojo seira has two hardsub and two raw versions at d-a.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 1st, '11, 02:31

I don't think there are many good manga detective drama live action. Well, some aren't that good IMO. I prefer a bit more dramatic ones. I just saw Strawberry Night. It's very good and it's an all star cast. I also like Oda Yuji hard boiled detective dramas and films. Galileo is pretty interesting, minus the constant formula writing. Mr.Brain wasn't too bad as well. I especially liked the later episodes. Nakama Yukie was freaky as a the character suffering from multiple personality disorder. Unfair is interesting too. If nothing, at least they keep showing Shinohara Ryoko naked LOL I also enjoyed Yasha thought it's an older drama. Kiina is kind of manga like but I thought it was so so. If you haven't seen Death Note yet. I would recommend that one. Bengoshi no Kuzu is a mystery comedy. I enjoyed that one.

I'm waiting for subs for "Hi wa Mata Noboru" and "News Sokuho wa Nagareta".

enggrrl

Post by enggrrl » Sep 1st, '11, 10:35

It's a bit of a spoof on the whole detective drama but Metantei no Okite is entertaining.

For mystery/suspense if you haven't seen the Bloody Monday series, it's worth a watch.

Toyko Dogs is a buddy/odd couple police drama that I would put on a must watch list.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 1st, '11, 16:15

I thought "Metantei no Okite" was amusing at first, but I got wearisome of it after awhile. It seems to lack the punch. And although I admire Oguri Shun and Tokyo Dogs has Hiro, I think there's something wrong with the writing. At times I found it annoying. Maybe it's all the bickering between the two detectives I didn't like. Throughout the drama, I kept wondering when it would end.

tremault

Post by tremault » Sep 7th, '11, 01:30

hello :)
I've seen many j-drama now and i loved them, they were recommended by you lovely people and you made great recommendations so thank you!

now i have seen all these, and i would like to find some more like these. thanks in advance for any recommendations you can give me! :cheers:

keitai sousakan 7
mei-chan no shitsuji
binbo danshi
atashinchi no danshi
densha otoko
ohitorisama
zettai kareshi
yama onna kabe onna
Otomen
Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihongo
hanazakari no kimitachi e
abarenbo mama

ferngully

Post by ferngully » Sep 7th, '11, 03:30

Hi. I'm relativity new to jdramas and generally into Rom-coms. I'm looking for other jdramas you can recommend along the lines of those I've watched and loved:

Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2
Hana Kimi
Zettai Kareshi (Absolute Boyfriend)
Proposal Daikusen
Mei-chan No Shitsuji
Hotaru No Hikari 1 & 2
Atashi No Danshi
Kimi Wa Petto

Thanks in advance!
:salut:

tremault

Post by tremault » Sep 7th, '11, 12:10

ferngully, it looks like you've seen some similar ones to e, so why not look at my list right above your post and try the ones you haven't seen on there?
I'll have a look at the ones on your list too :)

ferngully

Post by ferngully » Sep 7th, '11, 12:33

tremault wrote:ferngully, it looks like you've seen some similar ones to e, so why not look at my list right above your post and try the ones you haven't seen on there?
I'll have a look at the ones on your list too :)
Thats a terrific suggestion. :thumleft: Thanks Tremault! :cheers: I'vealready jolt down your list. I think I'll start with Otomen. It seems like an interesting drama. btw, I'm currently watching Ouran High School Host Club. You might want to try watching it as well. And oh, I forgot to include Nodame Cantabile in my list. It's a must watch for me. Thanks again! :-)

tremault

Post by tremault » Sep 7th, '11, 13:20

ah yes, I have seen the anime of ouran host club, really liked it and have been looking forward to the live action. I want to make sure i can get the entire series in one run though so I need to keep checking for a completed project. :)

nodame cantabile? I was looking at that yesterday because of one of the producers, also produced densha otoko.
I'll definitely put that on my list. thx.

kudokupo

Post by kudokupo » Sep 10th, '11, 17:02

I really want to watch a traditional Japanese, relaxing atmosphere drama. I'm interested to know if there are many good series like that. Does anyone have any recommendations?

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 11th, '11, 04:00

Marumo no Okite is a family drama. It's pretty nice. Or if you feel like crying, there's Mother. Or do you mean manga type jdramas?

kudokupo

Post by kudokupo » Sep 11th, '11, 04:24

What a coincidence. lol I just finished Marumo no Okite which made me want to check out Mother. I can't stop watching 愛奈ちゃん now. But I was thinking of stuff like zen gardens, bonsai trees, old-style traditional houses, etc. Maybe something set in the past?

minch

Post by minch » Sep 11th, '11, 05:15

if you are looking for something set in the past, JIN is arguably the best ji-dai geki i have seen, a good mixture of medicine, history, politics, sci-fi, romance and lots of drama. the surgical scenes are extremely realistic, hence it's a little graphic and gory. i will just look at a corner of the screen lol. be prepared to shed a few tears.

currently watching TEMPEST, and i count down to the latest episode each week. set in the ryukyu kingdom, it's very rich in history and politics. i personally LOVE okinawa, and is always intrigued by its history and culture, it's the most exotic place in Japan that i have ever visited. highly recommended if you like palace-politics dramas like Dae Jang Geum or War and Beauty. pardon nakama yukie's heavily accented foreign languages though. as a native English speaker, her English is more foreign to me than her Japanese!

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 11th, '11, 06:14

kudokupo wrote:What a coincidence. lol I just finished Marumo no Okite which made me want to check out Mother. I can't stop watching 愛奈ちゃん now. But I was thinking of stuff like zen gardens, bonsai trees, old-style traditional houses, etc. Maybe something set in the past?
Me too! I can't get enough of Ashida Mana. You might want to check out Gou. She's in it on and off for a bit too. As mentioned, Jin is pretty interesting. Jin 2 is so so. It dragged a bit. I'm not sure if you've seen "Graveyard of the fireflies" There's a live action of it. There's also Satomi Hakkenden if you haven't watched it yet. I preferred the anime version though.

tremault

Post by tremault » Sep 11th, '11, 13:07

hi, I had gotten three new ones, nodame cantabile, proposal daisakusen and kimi ha petto, and I had a peek at them and i am not sure if they are going to be the sort of thing i like. I can't say for sure until i give them more time but i was hoping i could get some other recommendations.
I like things that can be quirky and have some laughs and some happy moments with a bit of crying and with a positive atmosphere. maybe slightly surreal in places.
I mean, like abarenbo mama, ikemen paradise, atashinchi no danshi.

otomen is nice too, I like the cooking bits.

oh yeah, I don't like really old drama to be honest. I think i am happy watching something from 2006, but not something from 2002.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Sep 11th, '11, 14:05

tremault wrote:hi, I had gotten three new ones, nodame cantabile, proposal daisakusen and kimi ha petto, and I had a peek at them and i am not sure if they are going to be the sort of thing i like. I can't say for sure until i give them more time but i was hoping i could get some other recommendations.
I like things that can be quirky and have some laughs and some happy moments with a bit of crying and with a positive atmosphere. maybe slightly surreal in places.

oh yeah, I don't like really old drama to be honest. I think i am happy watching something from 2006, but not something from 2002.
Maybe try Kekkon Dekinai Otoko? It's 2006.

Some of the really good dramas are pre-2005 though.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 12th, '11, 15:54

tremault wrote:hi, I had gotten three new ones, nodame cantabile, proposal daisakusen and kimi ha petto, and I had a peek at them and i am not sure if they are going to be the sort of thing i like. I can't say for sure until i give them more time but i was hoping i could get some other recommendations.

I would highly recommend Marumo no Okite. It's surreal (talking dog) and has some laughs, crying and positive atmosphere. Shiroi Haru and Bara no nai hanaya are pretty good too. There's a movie Christmas on 24th Avenue that's pretty good too.

tremault

Post by tremault » Sep 12th, '11, 20:12

kitty10 wrote: Maybe try Kekkon Dekinai Otoko? It's 2006.

Some of the really good dramas are pre-2005 though.
thanks, I watched a clip on youtube and it looked really nice.
a nice attention to detail when he eats sushi in the clip that i saw and i do like that kind of thing.
seirin wrote: I would highly recommend Marumo no Okite. It's surreal (talking dog) and has some laughs, crying and positive atmosphere. Shiroi Haru and Bara no nai hanaya are pretty good too. There's a movie Christmas on 24th Avenue that's pretty good too.
heh heh, that looks really great! I just looked at teh dwiki page for marumo no okite and it looks very good! I will defintely watch that!
and i will try the other two as well, they are sure to be good.

thank you both, I have plenty of things to have a look at now.

jyashina

Drama's with Affection Recommendation?

Post by jyashina » Sep 13th, '11, 22:18

Can anyone tell me something I could watch that has as much affection as endless love (Taiwanese drama) and Coffee Prince (Korean Drama).
I just love affection. I wish I could see more in these other dramas.

Thanks Guys!

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 15th, '11, 06:34

I don't know Endless Love Taiwan version. I've seen Endless Love Korean version. And I only saw part of Coffee Prince. I didn't like it so I never finished it.

Anyhow, I guess you want heart wrenching romance stories? Maybe you might want to try some movies like "Crying out Love, in the Centre of the World", "Closed Note", "Haru no Yuki", "Yomigaeri", etc "Christmas on 24th Avenue" is kind of a sweet romance story. There were bits of teary moments near the end. But it's xmas so the ending has to be happy.

I can't really recall any jdrama love story that was so heart wrenching I cried so much except for "With Love", "Virgin Road", "Love Generation", and "Over time". I shed some tears in "Hoshi no Kinka". I don't think they do sappy dramas anymore. "Over time" is kind of draggy but I like the songs. The OSTs are truely great in those dramas.

dangitsdon

Post by dangitsdon » Sep 23rd, '11, 03:21

Okay....so I haven't watched a j-drama since Code Blue season 2. I miss watching J-dramas! Can someone please give me a quick list of recommendations of good dramas to watch!? (if they are completely subbed that would be great!) I have enjoyed jdramas like hana kimi, bambino, my boss my hero, and hana yori dango! THANKS!

forestmaiden71

Post by forestmaiden71 » Sep 23rd, '11, 22:06

@ seirin - I <3 your siggy banner :P

@dangitsdon - Here are some of my favorites:
  • kimi wa petto
  • liar game]
  • love shuffle
  • meichan no shitsuji
  • mop girl
  • natsu no koi wa nijiiro ni kagayaku
  • ryuusei no kizuna
  • sunao ni narenakute
  • tokyo dogs
  • tsuki no koibito
  • yamato nadeshiko shichi henge

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 24th, '11, 02:01

dangitsdon:

Oddly enough, I loved Kamen RIder Kabuto. It's pretty hilarious. Den-O isn't too bad either. I also liked Garo. They're action manga type stories. If you want shojou stories, atashinchi no danshi isn't too bad.

howtwosavealif3

Post by howtwosavealif3 » Sep 29th, '11, 01:11

dangitsdon wrote:Okay....so I haven't watched a j-drama since Code Blue season 2. I miss watching J-dramas! Can someone please give me a quick list of recommendations of good dramas to watch!? (if they are completely subbed that would be great!) I have enjoyed jdramas like hana kimi, bambino, my boss my hero, and hana yori dango! THANKS!
check out my j-drama reviews:
http://choronghi.wordpress.com/?s=reviews

I just write the reviews like iwant to so not sure how helpful they are but i have my peeves which i described in the first review so i can think you can tell whether we match and whatnot.

JIN has sad romance too, whether it's heart-wnreching it's not depends on the viewer. well just in case you haven't already seen this one.