Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Myeong Wol the Spy (KBS2, 2011)

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 6th, '11, 21:58

Title: 스파이 명월 / Spy Myung Wol
Genre: Romance, comedy
Episodes: 16
Broadcast network: KBS2
Broadcast period: 2011-Jul-11 to 2011-Aug-??
Air time: Monday & Tuesday 21:55
Official Website

Plot:
An elite North Korean spy, Han Myung Wol, and her partner, Choi Ryu, infiltrates South Korea on a mission to disrupt the Hallyu Wave by kidnapping one of their top stars, Kang Woo. Despite her proficiency at her job, Myung Wol's one weakness is her uncontrollable curiosity. Hijinks ensue when she falls in love with Kang Woo instead.

Cast:
Han Ye Seul as Han Myung Wol
Eric as Kang Woo
Lee Jin Wook as Choi Ryu
Jang Hee Jin as Joo In Ah

Extended Cast

Lee Duk Hwa as Chairman Joo
Jo Hyung Ki as Han Hee Bok
Yoo Ji In as Ri Soon Ok
Park Hyun Sook as Kyung Jae In
Lee Kyun as Lee Dae Kang
Lee Byung Joon as Yoo Jung Shik
Lee Da Hee as Yoo Da Hae
Lee Ji Hoon (이지훈) as Kwak Ji Tae
Cha Seung Joon as Jang Han Soo
Kim Ha Kyoon as Kim Young Tak
Jung Da Hye (정다혜) as Kim Eun Joo
Kim Ga Young (김가영) as Joo Kyung Joo
Shin Seung Hwan as Bang Geuk Bong
Kim Sung Oh (cameo)

I bet Kim Sung Oh will play some bastard here, keke.

Subtitles on DSC website - registration required
Last edited by Ethlenn on Jul 12th, '11, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 6th, '11, 22:49

This looks wicked fun actually. Also, nice looking MEN. Always good. If the chemistry works and the story is good, we're golden.
I really want something light and witty and crazy right now. Too much angst everywhere lately. Gimme a coward hallyu star nao!

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Jul 6th, '11, 22:51

Eric drama ? he have better luck in KBS more than SBS >_>
need to watch it though :)

micehell
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Re: Myeong Wol the Spy (KBS2, 2011)

Post by micehell » Jul 6th, '11, 23:04

Ethlenn wrote:DSC announced subbing it.
DarkSmurf or is there another DS? Not that I need the information quite yet, since it's not like I've already started setting up my template for when I share the show or anything... except in that way I totally have. ;) I may be just a tad bit excited by there being a new show with Lee Jin Wook!!!... er, and all those other people, of course. *snork*

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 6th, '11, 23:07

DSC= DarkSmurfCommunity.

They are pretty set on this one. Yes, the power of Lee Jin Wook and "those others", keke...

micehell
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by micehell » Jul 6th, '11, 23:10

Coolness. I was pretty sure that with Eric in there, that I wouldn't have to worry about subs too much, but it's still good to know.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 6th, '11, 23:53

Yep. They humped on board for this pretty fast.

... a few seconds later

I meant they jumped on board for this pretty fast... Damn that jeans picture... Ecchan... Bren iz gon.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 6th, '11, 23:59

Ahahaha!! I knew it.

Never ever, in times of some deep, hard gutter go to the D-A and write. You rape what you sow. I mean, you ripe ...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 7th, '11, 00:01

Yesh.. I rape what I saw....

I should not write after something like this... And he's staring at me here too...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 7th, '11, 00:18

Oh, he is? With what? Buttons? Chain??

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 7th, '11, 01:00

My signature... Here... All over...

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jul 7th, '11, 01:24

Poor KDW ! How can you do that Ori ? Cruel woman !

Someone from north ?Sounds interresting ! My going-to-watch list keeps growing ! Goodbye my life !

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 7th, '11, 01:51

Well, if you saw the picture, you'd know why I did it...

As for this series, who is the second male cutie? The agent dude? He's nice!

micehell
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by micehell » Jul 7th, '11, 01:54

Orion1986 wrote:Well, if you saw the picture, you'd know why I did it...

As for this series, who is the second male cutie? The agent dude? He's nice!
Lee Jin Wook! Mmm, I've missed him. ;)

Someday still holds the distinction of being the only Korean drama I've seen where I liked all 4 primary characters from front to end. *snicker*

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jul 7th, '11, 06:12

Oh I can understand Ori!
PREVIEW
Sounds really funny !

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 7th, '11, 07:33

lovely preview! This show should be hilarious. Aww the list is growing again ;)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 7th, '11, 08:12

Koreans did that again. After full spring and good dramas, they give us full summer and good dramas. Eh...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 7th, '11, 14:35

I kyaaed like mad with Kim Seung Oh. I did not expect to see him in the preview. Ahaha. Aww, he's so cute in perm! :heart:
This looks very fun. I'm SO up for some nice action comedy right now. And I'm digging the cast very much to boot.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 9th, '11, 11:04

His cameo was priceless indeed.
And as I said, you gotta love Eric's stupid face sometimes, aww^^ :wub:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 9th, '11, 19:59

Only a cameo?? Too bad I'd love to see him in this show

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jul 10th, '11, 22:04

Are we talking about the Slamander Man ? Gosh I love him and I really wanna see him in a lead role!

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 14th, '11, 10:25

I really liked the first 2 eps. It's hilarious without being over the top or nonsensical. I like both male leads and apart from looking anorexic the female lead is doing a good job, too. Oh and I like the comic relief guy who works for the old private eye/spy.
Especially the NK commanders are funny, I like the development from the misunderstanding of taking pics instead of eliminating to the mission of getting him to marry her and come to NK...what a plot! :lol :lol

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 14th, '11, 16:39

First episode I enjoyed less that I expecded, but second one made it up for me. Still, something's off, but I guess I will be continuing. So far, so good.

And I laughed at this NK fangirl, hehe, they're everywhere...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 14th, '11, 17:04

Enjoyed the first episode. Laughed, had a fun hour. If it keeps going as it started, I'm gonna like it. I like the characters and they don't overdo the comedy.

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Jul 15th, '11, 21:06

Watched the first epi, and was so-so.
Somehow I expected more...given the way how everybody raved about it.
Anyway looks nice but will stick to J-Dramas this summer. Have neglected that genre!
#

Sst327

Post by Sst327 » Jul 20th, '11, 23:33

Eric so handsome kekeke~
This series funny ^^

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Jul 24th, '11, 10:55

Couldn't finish first two episodes in one sitting. So far, boring series,

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 7th, '11, 19:01

The series is lovely so far. Nice laughs, cute characters and a good ensemble cast where you don't get bored each time they're not showing the main couple. It's priceless.
I'm glad to see the new writer didn't kill the fun, at least I hope we've entered new writer territory in the plot now. I'd hate to see this turn into every other drama. It's a shame.

Also, lol at the Secret Reunion part. Not that the spies over there were any more successful than these guys here! Ahaha. I really like this show. Absolutely fresh and fun!

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 10th, '11, 09:09

I loved the 10th episode. The most episodes were good...the only thing i don't like is the KSA-part of the story. They introduced the characters and their storyline started to develop...but then suddenly they all disappeared (ok i know, that they will play a role at the end of the drama, at the point where Myung Wol is identified as a north korean spy...but stil).

The story itself crys for a sad ending...but then again its a more or less shallow romcom, so Myung Wol and Kang Woo ill probably end together in Singapore...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 10th, '11, 09:27

No sad endings. This is 100% comedy. Pure comedy rom-com. If even such purely fun series start having sad endings, then there's no trusting any series to lighten your mood anymore. XD

I'm all for the fear of a sad ending if it comes from the characters. Them being afraid it will end bad is good, it motivates them to focus on what's important. But I can't see it actually happening.
And this is generally a comedy, so I hope the angst doesn't define the show later on. Mixing genres into extremes just doesn't work in a series. If the axis that defined it is comedy, you stick to it.

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Aug 11th, '11, 21:54

Why was there a new writer introduced?

This is one I am thinking about taking up.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 12th, '11, 07:57

I guess it's probably because people wanted romance from the first episode, like they always do, and could not wait for that part of the plot to kick in.
The mindless crowds rule over Korean television, unfortunately. However, it seems this was actually a good choice here, if it keeps going this well.

Edit:

I am IN LOVE with this series! Episode 10 was EPIC! EPIC!!!! My stomach still hurts from the "drama" and all the cliches in it. He lost his memory, half-siblings, dying! AHAHA!!!

Also, about the characters in the drama they are filming. How "of course" they have to both die at the end to make the love more poignant. Make it more "meaningful" and all.
How awesome is that? I LOVE them for making fun of that issue. And it's true. Korean productions seem to use death a bit too liberally and as if it makes everything better.
They think that throwing in tragedy will make the work superior, just by adding that alone. Well, sorry, but it doesn't work that way. A meaningless death is that. Meaningless.

Also, I find the acting in this series very good. They say Mr. North is expressionless. Far from it. His emotions show VERY clearly, but they are subtle. Which is MORE difficult for an actor to do.
Anyone can overact and show emotions in an extreme, overdone way. But having a poker face and showing a person under that, trying to keep that poker face, but having it leak, THAT is good.

Although I don't credit the target audience for such a series with working brains. Same for Han Ye Seul. She is doing an excellent job and whoever says she doesn't look devoted, is blind.
She has her comedy style. And she uses it. Many actors have a certain comedic style to them, but I don't hear people complaining about them. And the drama-in-drama shows it even more.

I love series like this. Series where everyone is talented and puts that something extra in it. The script works, the cast is brilliant, it's a smart series. It shows me it respects me as a viewer.
It uses cliches that most rom-coms use, but it doesn't do it in a way where you think it's trying to use only those as a means to succeed. It has things a person with a brain can appreciate.

It's another rare proof that you can make a rom-com which is funny and romantic and has its cliches without treating viewers like idiots/13-year-old girls. And I appreciate that from them.

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Aug 14th, '11, 20:56

Finished catching up last friday and I'm really enjoying it. This is my first time seeing a drama with Eric, I believe, and I like his acting. Better than some people I wont even begin to mention. When I watched the first couple of episodes I was thinking this is not my cup of Joe bascially because of the action scenes. I know this is a romance comedy but come on make it believable. They just cut and paste scenes together to make it like something was done and the fighting scenes are so fake. I feel like they are like soft sucker punches but the story line and semi-romance scenes make up for it. I actually like the mini english scenes. I usually hate it when there are english conversations are in a drama because thats when the acting seems major fake to me. I knew that Han Ye Seul knew English because she went to school in the states so that was a given for this show but Eric's english isnt bad. I kept on replaying the part where he said right now! :tv:

Ok, I know that there are some MAJOR fans out there in this world but I'm telling you that there is no way I could put up with all those people messing around with my business. I know that is a given to celebrates but it seems that Asian celebs have it 10x more worse that they do anywhere else.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 14th, '11, 22:07

esmer86 wrote:... but it seems that Asian celebs have it 10x more worse that they do anywhere else.
Aahhh... that moment... The moment when another innocent discovers just how twisted the netizens and fangirls/boys of Japan and S.Korea really are. XD

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 14th, '11, 23:45

:-( This week we will not see another episode of SMW... I wonder, whats the truth and story behind the whole mess with Han Ye Seul. I don't think, that the PDs side of the story, that she's just a b***h, who doesn't show up for filming (just because) is the truth. I mean she is a professional, who had the ml-role in a few dramas before and there were no problems (well as far as i know...ok, it could be that there were problems, which were not reported...). I mean she wouldn't risk her whole career, just because of something like this.
OK itcould be that this whole story is PR, because of the poor ratings...but we will see.
I hope, that at least one episode will be released this week...

sweetypea

Post by sweetypea » Aug 15th, '11, 00:00

Orion1986 wrote: I am IN LOVE with this series! Episode 10 was EPIC! EPIC!!!! My stomach still hurts from the "drama" and all the cliches in it. He lost his memory, half-siblings, dying! AHAHA!!!
This!!! OMG! I couldn't stop laughing out loud when the director was explaining the plot of the "drama!" And the way they made Kang Woo's make-up so exaggerated to show that he was dying! :clap:

To be honest, I thought the first 2 episodes were really boring and I almost gave up on this series, but now it's one of my favorites ever! I can't help but care for all of the characters. I want to laugh when they laugh, to give them a hug when they are crying, to tell them the truth when they misunderstand things and basically just to wish that they all live happily ever after. It's strange that I've become so emotionally attached to such ridiculous, unbelievable characters, but I think it's because even though they may not play real people, the emotions they feel are so real. They're emotions that I can identify with.

And besides, the comedy is great! I also love how Eric pokes fun of real life self in dramas. It is great to see someone not take themselves too seriously! :wub:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 15th, '11, 06:03

Silverman wrote:OK itcould be that this whole story is PR, because of the poor ratings...but we will see.
As far as I know, Han Ye Seul is a professional and does her work. Also, that kind of a publicity stunt doesn't work in S.Korea. You don't badmouth your leading lady. Hurts her career and your work.

I might be getting paranoid, but they seem to be after her hide for a while now. First the guy she bumped with her mirror claimed she hurt him cause he got stunned (the CCTV was pretty clear on that).
Then "someone" tried to convince people she didn't show up at work and had a contract that stated 5-days of filming (as if that's bad anyway), which the PD, if I remember well, denied some time later.

Now, if the woman did ask for that because of her health, was not given that and then they demanded she be on set 2 hours after the last shoot, despite having been told about her health, she is right.
Call it unprofessional, but health is the most important thing. She is damn justified not to work herself to death because some people want to make more money faster. So, I don't see the big deal in this.

Yes yes, she is delaying the drama and harming the rest of the cast, but what would anyone do if they can't cope and aren't being taken care of? Film until hospitalized? Like many leads do in dramas?
Even if things are as they tell them (which I still doubt), we should be applauding this woman for at least taking a stand against this crap that denies actors their basic rights and disregards their health.

And to some who say "she should have then taken legal action". Yeah, right. Like you can find justice in S.Korean courts when going against the people who have the money and power in the industry.
There is no one to protect actors there. If you fight, you fight on your own and for yourself. Could she have found a more tactful way to solve it? Maybe. If she had time. But health doesn't wait for lawsuits.

And at the end of the day, even if she is just being a diva, the thing she is protesting against IS an issue in Korean tv industry. Focusing on how wicked she is and ignoring the elephant in the room, anyone?

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 15th, '11, 08:00

I don't understand KBS. Now it was revealed, that the cause for the whole mess is a conflict between HYS and the PD. She requested to change the PD since the beginning of the drama. Come on KBS, if you want to make money just change the damn PD. You can film the drama with another PDs(ok they have 2 PDs), but not without HYS.
I am a HYS-fan and believe, that she is a professional, who wouldn't make such a fuss without a reason. I mean now is her whole career at stake and i don't think, that she would risk that, if she hasn't a reason. I mean the "enemy" is KBS, so its kinda predictable, that HYS will lose this battle. Simply because a big station like KBS can slander her to death, so that in the end she will end up as a stuck up, whiny diva-b**ch, even if she were just a victim.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 15th, '11, 08:34

It's not only the station's fault. This is a big case of everyone sharing the blame and no one doing anything because denial means not facing your guilt.
Actors are to blame for not stepping up more often, getting organized and fighting this together. Stations and agencies etc care only for the earnings.
Netizens prefer to blame the actors or some PD because they don't want to admit THEY and their spoiled ways cause the actors they "love" to suffer.

It's all a big game of hypocrisy and pushing the blame forward to others. And if one does anything that would make people have to face their guilt, they're evil.

All I know is that I don't hear of suicides, car accidents, accidents on set etc in any other country with such a big industry. When a person is tired, sh*t happens, people.
It's about high time actors with power help the less fortunate ones and netizens get a life and realize they are KILLING their "favorite" actors. Cause money won't stop.

No matter the reason why Han Ye Seul did this, the problem is still there. And although it hurts her career and the show, I'm glad the issue at least surfaces again.
It seems to be one of them "taboo" issues in S.Korea (because of the shared guilt), so forcing it out in the open one time too many might change things some day.

Thing is, we here are talking about it. But how many netizens, news agencies etc in S.Korea talk about it? Is anyone? Or is the denial absolute in the country itself?

Edit: And now they say she flew to LA and her management says she didn't. Man, the reporters are gonna have a field day with this. And again, no one focuses on the real problems...

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Aug 15th, '11, 16:08

Orion1986 wrote:Edit: And now they say she flew to LA and her management says she didn't. Man, the reporters are gonna have a field day with this. And again, no one focuses on the real problems...
It seems she's really left for LA. And the producers then pulled a dick move by saying they're giving her a deadline of 12 noon (KST) to return... when she's on the plane to LA. If not, the producers and Sidus will sue her for 10 billion won.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 15th, '11, 17:26

They told her to return by a time when she'd still be on the plane? Quick! Give the woman a parachute! :rofl:

And I see they are replacing the heroine? Yes... Switch the actresses. No one will eeever know. Just stop the series, damn it. You messed it up already so stop.

As for her leaving, I don't know. It must have been something big for her to make such a move. Someone dangerous and with power threatening her life maybe?
These may sound like conspiracy theories, but the underworld of S.Korean celebrity industry is dark. I wouldn't be surprised if some powerful man got rejected.

Whatever the reason, she does not seem dumb. And if she was that big of a witch, it would have been known long ago. So, to do such things now, something big has gone down.
And back to the series now, I prefer for it to bow down gracefully (as much as possible). Replacing the lead throws the immersion out the window. It's just a cheap desperate move.

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Aug 15th, '11, 23:18

If this had happened to any other actress in Korea, there would be no place to hide, even going home there would be people hounding you. HYS is lucky, SHE IS AMERICAN, born and raised. She can go home to Los Angeles and leave everything behind her. There are many places in the states that have no idea what KDrama is. The choice is hers. She is not your average Korean actress. If she sent her money/assets home and invested in the states, I wonder what any fines they levy on her would actually have any affect.

She will write a tell all book and make millions.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 16th, '11, 00:00

:P OK, SO I have been reading this thread (out of curiosity ) without watching the drama. I am just shocked to know that she is born and raised in US. her English does not even sound native. it's very good for someone who lived there for a while but to be raise and born there? :scratch: this is my observation from her " Fantasy Couple" character that did not leave a very good impression of a good actress on me. sorry to interrupt. please continue 8)

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 16th, '11, 00:20

She was raised bilingual . And bilingual raised people are very good at both languages, but have small accents (in most cases), which in most cases can be identified just by native speakers of the respective languages. Additionaly she lived at least 10 years in Korea, so her english is good, but not perfect.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Aug 16th, '11, 00:27

Haha ! Yes Ive been doing the same thing as Issy, except, I have all the episodes downloaded , I wanted to start the show after it ends but what a shocking news , what am I going to do with the episodes ? :pale:
I feel sorry for the fans, for the cast ( poor Eric :cry: ), and in my opinion , I think that is just unprofessional , it's not her first time acting ,so she knows about all the kindustry !Anyway that's based on all what I read so hopefully they are just rumors ! :scratch:

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Aug 16th, '11, 01:30

Silverman, then according to you, her Korean should be good, but not perfect also.

Eugene--she was raised on Guam, good English with accent

Gong Yoo--he was raised in Australia, speaks Aussie English perfectly. Watch first episode of One Fine Day.

I hope HYS returns, there has to be something we do not know about. This is one of my favorites. She has to go to Eric in the end, that way South Korea wins over the north. Who would want to return to North Korea anyway????

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Aug 16th, '11, 02:59

I also think something serious must have happened for her to just up and leave like that, without an explanation to clear her name and all. She's bereft of support in Korea and the big wigs are just ganging up on her now. It sucks.

Btw, I thought her English is pretty good. Sure she's been in Korea for a while now, but she's still pretty fluent. Here's an interview she did for Reebok:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 16th, '11, 06:29

el_canuck wrote:Silverman, then according to you, her Korean should be good, but not perfect also.
Yes most likely. I'm not saying, that the accents of bilingual people are horrible. I#m just saying, that sometimes the intonation is a little bit off. It's not true for all people, but for the most.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Aug 16th, '11, 10:53

Apparently, Han Ye Seul is coming back. Her mother is in Seoul trying to work things out.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/ar ... 92886.html

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 16th, '11, 11:22

It feels very weird for her mother to be involved. Is she somehow related to her work? Otherwise, this is looking more and more like some sort of an abuse issue.
A grown woman doesn't send her mommy to deal with things unless said things have turned her back into a kid, meaning something very heavy. Just speculation.
Her agency sold her out, the channel too and I doubt anyone would protect her, a woman and an actress in that country, so going to the US for back up makes sense.

Hope she's ok, hope she's safe and that her damn agency listens to her side and defends her, if such a thing really happened. Maybe the drama will continue. Hopefully. It's a nice series.
And if she was just being a drama queen, then it was a stupid move and I wonder how the heck she got so successful with such a bad business brain. I doubt this was the case though.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Aug 16th, '11, 11:40

The weird thing is, while Han Ye Seul was on the flight to LA, her mother was on the way to Seoul. So I doubt they knew the other was going the other way. It could be that the agency called the mother to come over and work things out in the hopes that Han would listen to her mother and back down, but Han upped and left before the mother could arrive in time. I doubt she'd leave if she knew her mother was coming to help. According to HanCinema, mama Han is actively involved in her daughter's career.

http://www.hancinema.net/exclusive-han- ... 32233.html
http://www.dramabeans.com/2011/08/kbs-s ... onference/
http://kpopfever.com/2011/08/certain-sp ... n-ye-seul/

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 16th, '11, 12:05

Whatever happened, replacing the actress is a bad idea. They should just end the series and handle the mess that's been caused. I hope those wronged find justice and that they solve this soon.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 16th, '11, 12:19

I was sympathetic to HYS but after the press release I'm gonna have to say she's a diva. http://www.soompi.com/news/han-ye-seul- ... -of-career

She should know Korean actors have a killer schedule. It wouldn't be any different than any other entertainer. Expecting herself to be treated differently is a "diva". She's not any better than all other A actors. Why should she get special treatment. Walking off is just irresponsible. If she's trying to make a statement, doing this won't help either. The entertainment world isn't going to change for her whim. Unless all actors band together an complain nothings going to change. Her way isn't the way to do things. If filming such hours are too arduous for her, she should have dropped out of filming dramas. She should just stick to doing movies. She has a choice. No one forced her. Having her mother come out is just to slap some sense into her. I think HYS probably had a nervous breakdown and lost all sense of things. However, after this shenanigans, it would be better if she retired after she's finished with the drama. She doesn't seem suited to the career. If she stays, she might just end up committing suicide.

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Aug 16th, '11, 12:33

You are right seirin, unless she was promised something going into the drama that never happened. Also most actors can run home to Inchon, Seoul or Busan for a weekend and directors can work around that. Completely different story when home is across the Pacific Ocean. Like I said before, she is not your normal KDrama actress. And I ask everyone, have you spent a long time away from home and had a problem and felt like you had no one to turn to. Think about that.

Still why did she wait till the end and at that scene.

Isn't speculating fun. Hopefully we will learn the truth and see how close we were.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 16th, '11, 12:42

Silverman wrote:She was raised bilingual . And bilingual raised people are very good at both languages, but have small accents (in most cases), which in most cases can be identified just by native speakers of the respective languages. Additionaly she lived at least 10 years in Korea, so her english is good, but not perfect.
I don't think being raised bilingual has anything to do with accents. It's the language you're least exposed to that gives you accent. If you speak your ethnic language but you were raised and lived in an English speaking country for a very long time, chances are you won't have an accent in English but you will have an accent in your ethnic language. However, it depends on the situation. The younger you are, the more you learn. So if you were born in an ethnic country and raised until you were 10 or so and moved to English speaking country. Then you may have accent in both languages or just English. It depends if you're still speaking the ethnic language and being exposed to it after moving. The same will happen if you were born in English speaking country and move to foreign country. The language you use most often since early childhood will probably have very little accent if at all.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 16th, '11, 13:00

el_canuck wrote: Isn't speculating fun. Hopefully we will learn the truth and see how close we were.
The truth has pretty much come out. She's made her comments. The studio has made their comments. If you put the pieces together, you have basically 50% of the story. The other 50% no one would ever know. It's all behind closed doors. I don't think anyone would speak out about the details that happened. But from the pieces, the PDs (minus hwang. No comment from him.) have basically bent their back to try and accommodate her. If she doesn't want to do something, they revise the script so she doesn't have to do it. Their statements may have half truths (such as not giving last minute scripts to her) but I'm sure they're in a difficult situation too. Even if they do promise to let her off at a certain time but if she's slept in due to previous day shooting, the next day's shooting will take longer and she won't get off on time. It's hardly the PD's fault because they're on a schedule as well to finish. Meanwhile everyone's tired and trying to make it on time but things get delayed cuz they're waiting for her. Besides HYS position, you need to consider other people's disposition too. The whole mess is really because of the live filming process the stations have adapted. Unless that changes the issue will always be there.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 16th, '11, 14:40

seirin wrote:I don't think being raised bilingual has anything to do with accents. It's the language you're least exposed to that gives you accent. If you speak your ethnic language but you were raised and lived in an English speaking country for a very long time, chances are you won't have an accent in English but you will have an accent in your ethnic language.
Yes. that's proven. I come from bilingual background and raised as such twice in 2 different countries. the one language that suffers the most is your mother language. as soon as you go to school with other native kids, traces of any accent will disappear and your own language gets more and more accented. saw her interview, she is quiet fluent in English and pretty good but still does not give the vibes of someone who was born and raised in US. I don't know Korean very good so I really can't tell if her Korean sounds native or not.

in any case, I do get this "diva" and "drama queen" from her when ever I see her on the screen. maybe it's just my perception of her. but even if she had a very good reasons to do this, I see her act selfish enough for not considering her colleges and other cast on the set. for weeks I have been reading how unhappy the cast and crew are about her late arrival to the set and how everyone sitting waiting for her to start shooting. if it's tough on her, then it is on everyone else too. as some one who has been in this industry long enough to know its killer schedules and time tables, she should not commit to any project from very beginning if she knows she is not up to it. specially know that we read she does not this as acting as her career.
the drama fans are happy that she is coming back. so this must be a relief at least. :mrgreen:

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Aug 16th, '11, 21:04

Since sunday, I believe, I have been reading reports of Han Ye Seul and just reading the comments left by people. It funny how people can changed their opinion about something so quickly. I always try to keep an open mind about her and the whole sisuation. I do feel that they were a little extreme with their schedule that she did what she had to do to take care of herself. Come on, sleep for only 2hrs is not enough for the things they have to go through every episode by episode. Yeah to me she does have a "dive" attitude but from what I read in the last a couple of hours ago is that she has agreed to finish the show with the present PD and time schedule so that has to say something. Changing the lead actress would be a mistake. Where are already on episode 11 and to have some other woman play her part would just make it worse but I feel something is "fishy" with the PD so now, I believe, we have a law suit between the PD and Han Ye Seul. I wonder what are the comments with the other cast members and their feel about the whole sisuation and time schedule.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 16th, '11, 22:06

esmer86 wrote:I wonder what are the comments with the other cast members and their feel about the whole sisuation and time schedule.
They're not going to say anything. They're not going to comment on HYS either. It's professional not to smack other actors even if they felt upset about it. It would do harm to the production. Saying bad things about the drama or complaining about KBS is bad PR as well. So they won't say anything if they value their career.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Aug 16th, '11, 22:33

I still don't think we should be so quick to judge her. Some of KBS' statements are rather shady and Sidus has done a pathetic job defending her even though it's her management company. They've just pretty much let her take the heat for everything even though she apparently had requested for a lighter schedule prior to the start of the drama, and had repeatedly asked for a PD switch. She'd also told the PD that she wasn't coming for one of the shoots, but that wasn't communicated because he was the one she had a spat with. Of course you can say that she's been in the business for so long and she should know that gruelling hours are the "norm" for drama shoots, but has the "norm" now become for actors to collapse on set and be taken to hospital so that they're then lauded for their professionalism? Job at the cost of your health and sanity? That shouldn't be the case or the standard to live up to. And for her to just up and leave... I don't think that's just her being a diva. She should know this means she's pretty much just dug her own grave in the industry and why would she do that unless it was something very serious?

I just think that even at this moment, we don't have the whole picture and shouldn't be so quick to condemn. There's always room for sympathy and understanding.

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Aug 16th, '11, 22:36

Yeah that is why I said I wonder. I wonder, again, if they are more in the lines of "Aigoo/Aish!" or more to the side of "Fighting." :scratchchin:

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Aug 16th, '11, 23:36

OK, call me a sucker for a pretty woman, but also in her defense is the fact that she is the star (sorry Eric) and the camera does not leave her very much. She is either with Eric or with the North Korean spies, but it is mainly her. Yes there is the manuscript subplot, but that has been few and far between. This means she has little off-camera time unlike the others. So maybe as the diva she does need a little more time to herself.

I was raised in a bi-lingual family French/English. English spoken in Manitoba will sound different than New York, London or New Orleans, accents everywhere.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 16th, '11, 23:57

el_canuck wrote:OK, call me a sucker for a pretty woman, but also in her defense is the fact that she is the star (sorry Eric) and the camera does not leave her very much. She is either with Eric or with the North Korean spies, but it is mainly her. Yes there is the manuscript subplot, but that has been few and far between. This means she has little off-camera time unlike the others. So maybe as the diva she does need a little more time to herself.

I was raised in a bi-lingual family French/English. English spoken in Manitoba will sound different than New York, London or New Orleans, accents everywhere.
I'm not sure but according to the PD's statement. HYS asked for more screen time. I guess she doesn't want her lime light stolen. LDH quit EOE because they cut her screen time to almost nil while she expected to be the second lead.

As for accents. All English speaking states have their particular accent. But the accent is native. The people who speak with English with accents are ones that sound non-native. Like if you speak English, but you have an Indian accent or whatever your ethnic language is. In this case Korean speaking English with Korean accent. They can't pronounce the word properly.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Aug 17th, '11, 00:11

seirin wrote:I'm not sure but according to the PD's statement. HYS asked for more screen time. I guess she doesn't want her lime light stolen. LDH quit EOE because they cut her screen time to almost nil while she expected to be the second lead.
That doesn't make sense. The drama is about Myung-wol, and Han Ye Seul is in pretty much every other scene in every episode. The show is even titled after the lead character. I don't see how she'd be demanding more limelight when she's asked for a lighter schedule right from the beginning.

As for Lee Da Hae, she'd signed up on the premise that she'd be the second lead - it's understandable if she got upset and quit after being reduced to filler status.

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Aug 17th, '11, 00:30

Decided to start this show a few days ago. I'm not a fan of neither Han Ye Seul nor Eric, but they've worked well in this show. I've enjoyed the overall quirkiness of the show. I do dislike the constant flashbacks. We get a scene, few moments later, flashbacks to that scene.

As for the scandal, I don' believe we'll every hear the truth. All we got was a one-sided KBS press conference, in which they basically said "we did everything right, she is the bad guy."
Something like that isn't enough for me to blame HYS, even though I feel that leaving the country was a bit unprofessional.

I am glad that she will be back because I would've hated to start a show that wasn't properly finished.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 17th, '11, 02:09

HYS did somewhat make a statement. This is what she was quoted saying.
“I gave up everything. The working environment (of the drama) was just too hard for me,”

However, Han Ye Seul denied rumors of her disagreement with the main PD. She just repeated that she’s in need of a rest, hinting that the whole filming process has been both physically and mentally tough for her. “I just hope my hoobaes (younger people) won’t be the same victim as me,” she said.

It has been reported that Han Ye Seul complained about the “killer filming schedule” of the show as she was required to show up five days a week. That caused her to get in a big fight with the main PD and she reportedly requested KBS to replace the whole production crew.
That makes her sound like a diva. She makes it sound like she's the only victim. Everyone has that type of schedule. She's not any different. And she requested to replace the whole production crew? I can understand the PD, but the whole crew? WTH. Everyone on the set hates her? I think they probably couldn't stand her bitching and being late all the time. However I've read she had fights with the PD and Eric was the middle person trying to smooth them over. I think the PD probably said some pretty nasty stuff to her for her to leave the set like that. One of the statement said PD was 80% at fault and HYS 20%. So I'm pretty sure the PD over stepped some boundaries like saying some really insulting things to her. Even if she is a diva. The PD should be the leader to encourage his staff to bring out the best in them. Not the worst. I don't know if her schedule was really 5 days a week. But if it is, that's a pretty good schedule even if it's long hours. At least she has 2 days of rest. Other actors/actresses work throughout the week I think and only get average 2 hours of sleep. If she thinks she's anymore special, she has another thing coming. After so many years of acting, I thought she would know better that all dramas have killer schedules. It's not her first time doing a drama. Maybe she's left drama land for so long, she's forgotten what it was like. Or maybe since she's getting married, she doesn't give a damn about the other cast and production team.

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Aug 17th, '11, 02:49

Hey Seirin chill out. It is only a drama. Count to ten and take a deep breath. Do not say the whole crew hates her, you have no clue what the crew likes or dislikes. Hell, some may admire her for standing up to the slave tactics of the producers. So relax and do NOT put words into their mouths. I think most of us are in a wait and see, so sit back and wait like the rest of us.

And hope it starts up again.

Then go on your one person anti HYS campaign.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Aug 17th, '11, 03:00

seirin, are you just blindly lapping up all of KBS' statements?

She was reported to have requested a 5-day work week right from the beginning. But live shoots, as you should know, mean filming right till the last minute, which pretty much means zero rest. Some shoots apparently went on till 5am and then she was reported to have to return to work 2 hours later. How is that not a killer schedule when she's in pretty much every other scene?

Half of what KBS says just sounds like hogwash right off the bat. You can obviously tell they're making stuff up. That they handed over bound scripts so they weren't behind filming? How about actually having a whole story delivered before they started filming, or at least 50% so actors wouldn't be left scrambling 3/4 of the time? And that the drama's filming conditions were "not more arduous than other dramas"? What rubbish is this? She got the whole production crew changed? She couldn't even get the main PD changed! They half-assed her request - made repeatedly - by bringing in a new PD but keeping the PD she was having disputes with. So is it still logical she had the rest of the crew changed?

Just as you said Han Ye Seul's co-stars wouldn't talk bad about her, wouldn't she at least do the same and try to downplay her dispute with the PD such that she's making it her own fault? Wouldn't you think that of her at least? There have been reports that she was actually going to come to filming despite an earlier no-show which she had also reportedly communicated to the PD, but then the PD said some really nasty words to her and also made the whole crew wait for a no-show he'd known about. Then it turned out he was 80% at fault - how is it not obvious that he had it in for her, such that by the time KBS churned out their press conference, SHE was the one shouldering 100% of the blame?

Nobody's denying that Han Ye Seul didn't do the right thing by leaving for LA. However, think of what must have driven her to take that drastic step. Instead of condemning her as a diva, recognise that there are also big loopholes in KBS' statements. And this marriage business... don't you think if she were really planning to retire and get married, she'd want to go out on a good note? She's not had any major drama-production-related woes until now, I remember Go Soo said some nice things about her when they did Will It Snow For Christmas last year. She's done more dramas than films, and even though her last drama was early 2010, I wouldn't even say she's been away from dramas for too long - that would be someone like Jung Woo Sung, who's not done a drama for 15 years until this year's Athena.

I don't think she sees herself as being special. At least I don't see her as a diva and I'm willing to give her the benefit of doubt, especially since she's up against KBS and even Sidus. I think it's very well for some of us to point fingers at her and call her out for unprofessionalism and all... but it takes two hands to clap. I don't believe she's done all this just because she's a diva.

Also, maybe you would like to read this: http://www.hancinema.net/han-ye-seul-s- ... 32293.html

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 17th, '11, 03:41

kitty10 wrote: She was reported to have requested a 5-day work week right from the beginning. But live shoots, as you should know, mean filming right till the last minute, which pretty much means zero rest. Some shoots apparently went on till 5am and then she was reported to have to return to work 2 hours later. How is that not a killer schedule when she's in pretty much every other scene?
That's pretty much what ALL actors go through. It's not just HYS. I'm pretty sure she had to go through the same with her previous dramas too. This time is just worse because the PD was an ass.
kitty10 wrote: Half of what KBS says just sounds like hogwash right off the bat. You can obviously tell they're making stuff up. That they handed over bound scripts so they weren't behind filming? How about actually having a whole story delivered before they started filming, or at least 50% so actors wouldn't be left scrambling 3/4 of the time?
I don't think that's ever happened in the history of live filming. I doubt anyone has ever had at least 50% of the script ready. They're usually scrambling most of the time. They're even lucky to get scripts a few days in advance. Some get their script on the day of filming. Though I've read HYS also got them in sheets. Last minute scripts. I'm not saying it's right, but she's not the only one. That's the problem with live shoots.
kitty10 wrote: And that the drama's filming conditions were "not more arduous than other dramas"? What rubbish is this? She got the whole production crew changed? She couldn't even get the main PD changed! They half-assed her request - made repeatedly - by bringing in a new PD but keeping the PD she was having disputes with. So is it still logical she had the rest of the crew changed?
Wanting and getting are different matters. I don't know if she wanted the whole crew changed, but it seems the crew didn't like her. And from the her hair dresser's comment, it does seem like some of the crew didn't like her. But it's true that this drama is not more arduous than other dramas. All live dramas have killer schedules and long work hours. That's why some are on IV drips or taking sleeping pills.
kitty10 wrote: Just as you said Han Ye Seul's co-stars wouldn't talk bad about her, wouldn't she at least do the same and try to downplay her dispute with the PD such that she's making it her own fault? Wouldn't you think that of her at least? There have been reports that she was actually going to come to filming despite an earlier no-show which she had also reportedly communicated to the PD, but then the PD said some really nasty words to her and also made the whole crew wait for a no-show he'd known about. Then it turned out he was 80% at fault - how is it not obvious that he had it in for her, such that by the time KBS churned out their press conference, SHE was the one shouldering 100% of the blame?
I know HYS is taking the blame after she decided to go back. Just her comments when she just arrived and decided to quit the production, I found her words upsetting. She totally had no care about the whole production. There were other options she could have taken but she opted to leave the country. If the PD was giving her such a hard time. She should have fought back and refuse to go to work except Mon-Fri. So what if it goes behind schedule? KBS would be forced to negotiate with her if it's causing an issue. KBS wasn't listening to her complaints to change PD. Not going to work and notifying the PD would be a better way to kick up an ass. Or follow through and sue KBS for breach of contract at the end. Instead she left the country and left the whole cast and production hanging. That is the problem I had with her. She only thought of herself. If the PD was treating her badly, it's not like the other actors were treated any better. They're in the same predicament but worse because they're on stand by constantly and left hanging. The production staff have family and mouths to feed. They aren't getting paid if they're on stand by I think. There is a problem with live filming. But her way of retaliation is irresponsible.

As for giving clapping for her courage to come back. I don't know what is her purpose for coming back. If it's because she realizes she's causing problems for the cast and crew, and taking responsibility. Yes I applaud her. But it makes you wonder if she's going back because she just realized she's getting sued from all sides. KBS, Sidius, CF endorsements, movie company, etc. She probably just realized the outcome of her actions.

Rain and the Lee So Young acted more professionally. They weren't paid for the episodes that were filmed but they continued filming. The went on to sue KBS after it was all done. I'm sure their working conditions weren't any better and they didn't get paid for it. They could have walked out, but they finished and tried to settle things later.

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Aug 17th, '11, 04:22

She informed them that she wouldn't be appearing on Saturday but they ignored her and leaked it to the press. That's when it all escalated. I doubt she planned on leaving the country till all the drama began in the public eye.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 17th, '11, 04:26

Too much to comment on and frankly, we have no clue what went on and how, but I'll just say two things.

One, not getting paid is something with proof on paper you can take to court and show who's to blame.
Verbal and/or physical abuse and rough filming conditions are so "norm" that she'd never find justice for.
Even if she did, it's not an option to "stick it out" if it's gotten to such a point where a person can't cope.

Secondly, actors are people too. No matter how professional you are, if you've reached your limits, that's it.
You don't think of work, decency, being professional, you just need to get the Hell out of there immediately.
Was it a bad move? Yes, and I bet she knew it. But people vary and not all would stick around to be bullied.

Fact of the matter is, actors are sometimes seen as slaves in Korean television and there's a lot happening in the dark, from sexual abuse to blackmail to power games.
People don't complain until someone is dead or injured and then they shift the focus to that and not to what or who is to blame for things ending up in such a sad manner.

Han Ye Seul's "crime" is that she just couldn't cope in this specific situation. Yes, cast and crew suffer, but screw that. No one will place others above their own well being.
And no one should be asked to. Actors aren't martyrs and heroes to suffer heavy damage just to be "professional" and so that the rest of the cast won't complain about it.

The problem here is that people see stations and PDs etc as "serious professionals" and actors as "superheroes". And she's getting Hell for not being superhuman.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Aug 17th, '11, 04:28

seirin wrote:That's pretty much what ALL actors go through. It's not just HYS. I'm pretty sure she had to go through the same with her previous dramas too. This time is just worse because the PD was an ass.
No, that's not what ALL actors go through. Some productions are pretty bad, as in really last minute ones like Sign, but there have been dramas which were completed without actors fainting or whatever. In any case, why does this trend of terrible working conditions have to continue? Even her last drama wasn't that bad. It was completed without major problems.
seirin wrote:I don't think that's ever happened in the history of live filming. I doubt anyone has ever had at least 50% of the script ready. They're usually scrambling most of the time. They're even lucky to get scripts a few days in advance. Some get their script on the day of filming. Though I've read HYS also got them in sheets. Last minute scripts. I'm not saying it's right, but she's not the only one. That's the problem with live shoots.
Yeah, live shoots suck. But live shoots don't have to be this gruelling. This isn't now an actor problem, it's the production system that doesn't think ahead of churning out a decent-length script before filming commences. Some don't even settle on the cast until a month before broadcast, that's crazy. There have been fully pre-produced dramas before, so why not try and work towards something like this? And for your lead actress to get scripts in sheets, especially when she's got to be in every other scene... how much time does this give her to digest and memorise lines, and then try and work the scene to the best of her abilities? It's a really tall order that shouldn't be the norm or set the bar for anything.
seirin wrote:Wanting and getting are different matters. I don't know if she wanted the whole crew changed, but it seems the crew didn't like her. And from the her hair dresser's comment, it does seem like some of the crew didn't like her. But it's true that this drama is not more arduous than other dramas. All live dramas have killer schedules and long work hours. That's why some are on IV drips or taking sleeping pills.
Again, why should this even be the norm? You hear of it so much, actors on IV drips and sleeping pills, that's why they get into accidents or sink into depression etc. Of course maybe this drama wasn't as arduous as a sageuk, but it has become arduous that the actors are getting sheet scripts barely days before the episodes are scheduled to air. There shouldn't be any sort of comparison that "oh because we're not suffering as much as Drama XYZ, you shouldn't be bitching". What sort of huh logic is that? Does it have to reach the "oh we've finally got one actor collapsing, just like Drama XYZ", for it to be "arduous"? When will the bigwigs admit they have a production problem as well?
seirin wrote:I know HYS is taking the blame after she decided to go back. Just her comments when she just arrived and decided to quit the production, I found her words upsetting. She totally had no care about the whole production. There were other options she could have taken but she opted to leave the country. If the PD was giving her such a hard time. She should have fought back and refuse to go to work except Mon-Fri. So what if it goes behind schedule? KBS would be forced to negotiate with her if it's causing an issue. KBS wasn't listening to her complaints to change PD. Not going to work and notifying the PD would be a better way to kick up an ass. Or follow through and sue KBS for breach of contract at the end. Instead she left the country and left the whole cast and production hanging. That is the problem I had with her. She only thought of herself. If the PD was treating her badly, it's not like the other actors were treated any better. They're in the same predicament but worse because they're on stand by constantly and left hanging. The production staff have family and mouths to feed. They aren't getting paid if they're on stand by I think. There is a problem with live filming. But her way of retaliation is irresponsible.
Like I said, nobody is praising her for leaving the country like that. But she did say she wasn't coming in for a Saturday shoot - that was NOT communicated and made her sound like she was on a diva trip. Then the PD made the whole cast and crew wait for her when he knew full well she wasn't coming. So who's on a power trip now? She's getting the blame because she complained to a company that wouldn't give a rat's ass about her complaints and then made it seemed like she was a b!tch for even thinking about complaining. What the hell? She got verbally abused by the PD and who's sticking up for her? You tell me that's the norm too? That she should suck it up because others are not complaining? That's it's okay for her to suffer workplace abuse just because you think she's a diva?

Of course the rest of the crew have families to feed. I'm not denying that her action caused them trouble and it was not the right thing for her to leave like that. All I'm saying, have a bit of sympathy. You don't know what caused her to take such a drastic step, but straight out you branded her a diva and took KBS' half-assed statements at face value. If she had no care about the production, if she were a diva, she'd have quit after two episodes.
seirin wrote:As for giving clapping for her courage to come back. I don't know what is her purpose for coming back. If it's because she realizes she's causing problems for the cast and crew, and taking responsibility. Yes I applaud her. But it makes you wonder if she's going back because she just realized she's getting sued from all sides. KBS, Sidius, CF endorsements, movie company, etc. She probably just realized the outcome of her actions.
When she boarded that flight to LA, I think she knew how much she was going to take on and lose out. KBS may still sue her even if she comes back and completes the drama, because her departure did cause disruption. She was willing to risk lawsuits and her entire career by boarding that flight. I don't think this was done on a whim. She clearly looked the worse for wear by the time she reached LA. Would you be satisfied only if you see her hooked up on an IV drip?
seirin wrote:Rain and the Lee So Young acted more professionally. They weren't paid for the episodes that were filmed but they continued filming. The went on to sue KBS after it was all done. I'm sure their working conditions weren't any better and they didn't get paid for it. They could have walked out, but they finished and tried to settle things later.
Rain is also a much bigger star than Han Ye Seul. I don't know about Lee So Young, so I won't comment. Again, I don't deny that Han Ye Seul was not right in just leaving like that. But that wasn't only your bone of contention, was it? You were all "she's a diva diva diva" throughout. I almost thought you were a KBS rep.

Anyway, I am done with this thread. It's obvious you just want to believe KBS and won't even afford the lady a jot of sympathy. It's easy for you to say you don't agree with what she does and that she's a diva and oh so irresponsible. That's all well and good... only, you don't really know enough to be judging her. You are in no position to be this self-righteous. She's not superhuman. She has limits too.

The drama seems to be back on, so I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the episodes. You have fun with your anti-Han Ye Seul campaign.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 17th, '11, 09:30

I think it's remarkable, that so many people say "You chose to be an actor, so you have to work 20 hours straight every day, other do it too, so suck it up." Yes she chose to be an actor. But it doesn't mean, she chose to be a slave. I mean all of us agree, that the live-drama-system is bs and has a serious deficit. Just because it's the norm, doesn't mean you have to take it in. With this mentality, women wouldn't be allowed to vote until today and a raped women would still be the offender in the eyes of the law, because she "seduced" the raper. Just because something is the norm in a society, doesn't mean it's right. And without people, who don't bow their head for such things, the entertainment industry won't evolve and improve.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 17th, '11, 09:55

Exactly, Silverman. If people don't stand up and speak up, like Ye Seul did, as "unprofessional" as it was, this will never be corrected. I don't see why a person should suffer just because others choose to do so and chose to suffer themselves.
Each beginning to right big wrongs started with certain people revolting and yes, ruining certain things that have issues in the process. It's like complaining about someone disrupting the normal function of an orphanage that abuses its kids.

Unprofessional is not the same thing as a doormat. Up and leaving because she was not treated like a human being was well within her rights, even if it caused people loss. And maybe with such incidents, people will see there's a problem.
Is it a shame it caused honest working people trouble? Yes. But she's not their mom or their guardian or some savior, to suffer just so they can earn their paycheck without problems. They are grown people and they can fight for themselves too.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 17th, '11, 10:04

Speaking of unprofessional. Episode 11 was a real low blow, from the KBS' side. They projected and exaggerated this rl-incident into the drama. They practicly said: "HYS is just a dumb divabi**h, who disregardes the honest production-company, PDs, fellow actors and the management, just because and without any valid reason". And that is in my opinion far more unprofessional, than HYS's LA-flight.
Last edited by Silverman on Aug 17th, '11, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.