The Good, The Bad, The Weird of Kdrama

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 27th, '11, 00:51

The trick is to keep the shape and just get rid of the excess. For women. Leaving excess or going Japanese idol and turning them into a "connect-the-dot" line are not good practices.
For men, it's a bit different. Some excess should be there. Too defined male eyebrows look creepy. Look at Kang Ji Hwan. Hair all over and he's hot as he is. But yes, Hyo Rim needs it.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 27th, '11, 01:06

Aww... Babe (KJH) looks great, even with that eyebrows. They look tottaly natural and Ok.
I don't like when men mess with their eyebrows, especially when they plug them more than they should (Cha Seung Won in City Hall).
Hyo Rim's are so bad. It's not that bad to have them natural, when natural look nice though (Han Ga In). But Hyo Rim, is :goggle:

Just notice, we talk about men who plug them and women who don't. Role change much? :lol

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 27th, '11, 20:25

One question, which i have always in mind is: How does the korean rent-system work?
Now they have the deposites and the monthly rent. The deposits are in my opinion way too high. How can they afford it (its like 10.000.000 Won deposit for one room)? Now here we have also deposits, but they are way lower. Or is their monthly rent low enough to make such deposits plausible?

As for Handphones. A few of you said, that the cellphones are very cheap in Korea. Now the question is what do you understand under cheap. For some people is 400$, for the other is 400$ expensive. Here you have to pay for a good cellphone 600-1000$(if you take a contractphone it would be 300-500$ for these). Its something I can afford to buy once every 1-2 years. But in kdramas it looks like they buy it like chewing gums, even if their salary is just 1000$.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 28th, '11, 18:08

About the handphones, I guess it's also just to advertise the latest models. Productions get money for featuring such products.
As cheap as cellphones are, when your monthly pay is 1000 bucks, you can't afford the latest Samsung smartphone. No way.

I mean, as cheap as they are, I doubt Samsung would sell its Galaxy SII model or something for less than 400. Even with contract.
Most of the characters shown in dramas are so poor they need ridiculous part-time jobs. I doubt they'd cough out 400 for a cellphone.

I am piss-poor myself and my phone was about 250 or so. And that was when I had money. It's a really simple old phone. For basic stuff.
Poor characters in dramas have fancy shoes, designer clothes and the latest cellphones because realism takes a walk when money calls.

I don't mind product placement in general. It's a good way to make money. But I do mind it when it ruins realism and causes health issues to actors.
How many times have we seen actors and actresses trembling when filming with spring clothes in the dead of winter, just for next season's sales?

By all means, place products and make money. But do it in a way that makes sense and that doesn't abuse your cast and story even further than you already do.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 28th, '11, 19:02

:thumright: my thoughts exactly. It's just not realistic. In "City Hunter" the poor mom who sells foods on the street and has no one had iPhone 4 :scratch: I get that CH made his Money this way but for a Poor character who should not suppose to know how these new smart phones work, having one was a bit too much.
Sometimes it is not about poor or rich but to do with characters. In reality, you often see older people don't like these phones because as they say, they are not easy to use.
Same goes with cloths and bags. In PtB, heroin was desperate th have her pay early yet she used to come with brand new bag to work every day. I say this because I do have eyes for bags myself. :mrgreen:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 30th, '11, 20:35

The traffic,cars and motorbikes in kdramas are also very....interesting.

First of all. The motorbikes have always two helmets. Even if the character never takes someone with him. But if he takes someone with him, he has always two helmets...and one of them is always pink :D . I nevver take the second helmet with me, except if i know, that someone will ride with me.

Their 8-line-highways are always free and there are like 2 cars at the same time.

Then the car-accidents. Even if the car is about 300 yards away, the character freezes. Even a second character has the time to arrive from 1 mile away, see the car and try to rescue the first character.

I know these things are less for the realism, but for the storyflow.It wouldnt make sense if character would stuck in traffic, if he has to go back to his gf/bf. It wouldn't also not make sense, if the character either looks a half hour for a second helmet or says "sry, i can't take you with me". But as a storywriter, if you know of these problems, then you have either let the characters walk or scrap the whole motorbike-idea.
And the caraccidents.Why can't they film them like the rest of the world and make the whole scene "faster". Like it is now, everytime i see such a part in a kdrama, i have always to think of "Austin Powers"-movies, where they make fun of even this effect.

But then again, we don't watch kdramas for their realism. What i like about kdramas are the "slow" and unrealistic romances. In rl and in most american movies its all alot faster. Its not out of ordinary, if the couple has just after 1 or 2 dates sex.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 30th, '11, 20:52

Silverman wrote: I know these things are less for the realism, but for the storyflow.It wouldnt make sense if character would stuck in traffic, if he has to go back to his gf/bf.
Hehe, Delightful Girl Chun-hyang, last episode. Traffic as hell... I actually liked that scene.

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Sep 30th, '11, 20:52

One thing I've noticed is how gorgeous all the women are (even the ones in the background). Here in England it's biffers as far as the eye can see ( this also applies for women as they see ugly cunts like me).

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 30th, '11, 20:56

Because plastic surgery is a lot more expensive in England I guess... :whistling:

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Sep 30th, '11, 21:19

Shall we have a game of "Spot The Cynic"? I'll go first.

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Sep 30th, '11, 23:44

One thing that's weird for me is how people don't shower in the morning. They just put their clothes on.
Biozombie wrote:One thing I've noticed is how gorgeous all the women are (even the ones in the background).
It's television. What you see isn't indicative of the general population.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 1st, '11, 00:29

ok, this might not be particular to Kdramas and I have seen it in Jdramas too but somehow is more annoyingly in front of your eyes in kdramas.
whenever there is a love triangle between two girls and a boy, mostly the evil one and the one who wants the boy, does not understand that no means no. she keeps getting rejected and still after the boy. I mean seriously, they have no pride? they turn up whenever the guy is after being told that he does not want to see her in every occasion possible, still she shows up and still wondering why the guy is so cold or angry with her. :scratch:

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Oct 1st, '11, 04:52

I always hate how the parents gamble, cheat, etc and the kids are forced to carry the debt. I always want the children to refuse or fight back or scream or something. That was until I watched Romance Town. Every time she screamed at her father it made me uncomfortable. So, I guess Kdrama know what they are talking about when they make the children unreasonably obediant to their parents.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 1st, '11, 08:04

Lucille wrote:So, I guess Kdrama know what they are talking about when they make the children unreasonably obediant to their parents.
I would be careful with that word. Actually there is a reason for that. Thousand-year reason.

Oh Issy, are you referring to ATK, keke? But yes, this stubborness gets also on my nerves.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 1st, '11, 08:28

Ethlenn wrote:Oh Issy, are you referring to ATK, keke? But yes, this stubborness gets also on my nerves.
:P how did you know? keke ATK reminded me of this, true. but it is one of very cliche storyline that I do see it often in dramas and it really annoys me. "Scent of a Woman" had one too. I mean, I don't think it is normal. and often those characters are the b****y strong and rich characters that get humiliated over and over and still turn up at guy's door step. sometimes I wonder in which language they should be told "get lost" considering they know more just Korean.

one more cliche? almost all poor heroins of the story are good innocent characters and evil ones are mostly rich. but it's other way round with guys. so money only corrupts women and not men? and if money makes evil of you why always ending the story with the poor girl gets together with the rich guy to enjoy his money?

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 1st, '11, 12:22

Jav_sol wrote:One thing that's weird for me is how people don't shower in the morning. They just put their clothes on.
Biozombie wrote:One thing I've noticed is how gorgeous all the women are (even the ones in the background).
It's television. What you see isn't indicative of the general population.
Huh. It may seem to you wierd but I most of the time shower only like once a week. And I'm nor dirty or smelly. And, no, I'm not asian(asians doesn't sweat as much, except for PSY).

I've seen quite some real videos of Korea. And, yes, indeed, there are quite a lot of pretty girls there but there are very ugly girls, too. Anyhow, if you want pretty girls then come to Latvia. #1 in Europe, probably. In range of 18-25 definitely. Only thing missing here is brain. Mostly girls are quite stupid here, though.

The wierd... not sure there is anything that seems wierd to me after all this time. It all seems to make sense.

As for the bad, I can mention only some small things. Ok, I can find one very bad thing - it's around 10 thousand kilometers away. It's like 14 hour flight, if I remember correctly.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Oct 1st, '11, 17:57

Another thing which is...well...interesting. All the women turn at age 30 to ajumahs, who are treated like Quasimodo and they have almost every time these b**t-ugly shorthairperms.
I don't know how it is in other countries, but here you are still young at the age of 30 (well not teenage-young, but young). In kdramas you are destined to b sign up for a nursing home.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 1st, '11, 17:59

Because you are just a christmas cake, long after your ripe time, a loser who couldn't get married... should I continue?
Because yes, getting married at the age of 19 is what every girl dreams of.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 1st, '11, 18:31

Ethlenn wrote:Because you are just a christmas cake, long after your ripe time, a loser who couldn't get married... should I continue?
Because yes, getting married at the age of 19 is what every girl dreams of.
:lol SO TRUE! to be honest I feel depressed every time they mention this in a drama too. specially when they emphasize on having kids before 30 because " all your needed organs to do so wont work anymore after 30 as they politely describe it. :blink

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 2nd, '11, 07:31

Silverman wrote:Another thing which is...well...interesting. All the women turn at age 30 to ajumahs, who are treated like Quasimodo and they have almost every time these b**t-ugly shorthairperms.
I don't know how it is in other countries, but here you are still young at the age of 30 (well not teenage-young, but young). In kdramas you are destined to b sign up for a nursing home.
Look at Brown Eyed Girls Narsha. She is 30 and I can say that she is quite far from Ahjumma. Kan Mi Yeon, too. But for the ordinary people, not sure about being ahjumma when turn 30.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 2nd, '11, 15:45

When your target audience is teenage kyaagirls who think anyone above 20 should be mummified before they decay, of course you'll portray a 30+ woman as old in your show.
And because each young non-rich woman should start producing offspring the minute it is legal and is worthless if she can't produce useful citizens for the homeland by age 30.

As modern as South Korea is, it is still bananas. Backwards thinking and getting stuck to unhealthy role models and behaviors is kind of what seems to drive the drama industry.
Well, the drama industry, idol band industry, celebrity industry in general. The masses who like those industries are derranged fangirls with mush for a brain, as we can mostly see.
Series are meant to please them while forcing notions and role-models down their empty heads that work well for the economy and country. Never mind the individuals and their well-being.

Unfortunately, that is something common in Asia. Lots of people, lots of pressure. They are looked at like numbers and it is expected of them to care for their community more than themselves.

Not that people do that, mind you, but if there is one audience they can plant ideas and propaganda in, it's the kyaaing idiots who listen to the box in their living room more than their own heads.

airboy

Post by airboy » Oct 2nd, '11, 20:00

I'm a bit annoyed that they always need their parents permission to marry and/or date, even then day are over 20.....

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Oct 2nd, '11, 22:47

I actually quite like the respect shown for the elders mofif that dominates most Kdrama's, although with the last one I watched, Lucifer, I was a little disappointed that the deaf mother didn't instruct Dorothy (Shin Min Ah) to massacre, with a chainsaw, Boring Cunt (Cardboard-cut-out-man) aka Scarecrow (no brain) aka Tin Man (no heart) aka Lion (no courage) in an effort to salvage family respect. Hell, if she'd just dropped an house on his head, it would have been a start. But, of course, I am unsure whether this is due to it being blatant insult to the deaf people of our society or to the fact that I simply hated the pathetic cunt.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 3rd, '11, 04:39

I think I am in love with you, Biozombie. Ahaha. But I won't repeat my feelings on that series and the character. You express them so well.

As for respect to parents, it is lovely to a point and towards parents that earned it. I do not believe in respecting and listening to your parents just because they raised you in their house and gave birth to you.
Giving birth does not make you a mother. Respect should be earned and a worthy parent will raise good honest kids who love them. I know the culture is different and what I am saying is that I don't like it.

Just as it's "tradition" for women to get beaten in some countries if they dare drive a car. Some "traditions" do not belong in a modern world where an individual and their happiness is supposedly top priority.
However, I also love it in dramas when it's done in a less melo way. Parents are nice and it's so cute seeing the couple all giddy and the parents even more so. Any good parent is happy when their kids are.

Another interesting thing. Sewing eyes on dolls. Was it just Coffee Prince that made it popular or is it such a widespread part time job? I've seen other series do it and would guess it's common from em.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Oct 5th, '11, 16:45

I've seen a lot of threads in forums with a lot of cliches and weird things in kdramas, but nowhere was mentioned the topic, which is weird and is also in almost every kdrama/jdrama/twdrama I've seen.
Why does the family/friends etc. of the character don't know about the best friend of 20 years of the character? Let me explain in detail what i mean. In a lot of kdramas some characters have a good friend/girlfriend etc., whom they knew for a long time. But neither the good friend/gf/bf nor the parents+siblings of this character have ever seen each other, so that for example in some dramas the gf of 2 years runs into the brother of the character by coincidence and neither of them know, who the other person is.
How is it possible? I mean in most cases the characters live with their family, so its almost impossible to have a gf/best friend whom the sibling and parents don't know. Or is t reality in Korea, that friends and gf(except for marriage) go to their friends house or aren't even mentioned in the everyday life?
It cracked me up in Giant, that the big brother, who lived for a few years in a house with Min Wo(i don't know the name anymore, it was a long time ago) didn't hear Lee Ganmoes(?) name mentioned, even though they were "classmates/foes". This is just an example. There are a lot more and more extreme cases.
For example Snow White. The female lead and the second male lead are best friends for 8 years. And she doesn't know his brother or parents and they don't know her?

OK I exaggerated, when i said in every drama, but its often so, that there are similar cases. I don't know how it was in your family, but back then, when i lived at home my parents and sister knew all my good friends.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 5th, '11, 16:54

Hm, not that I had a bunch of friends, but I didn't inform about everyone.

One thing bothers me though. Why they don't have kimchi stain on their plastic boxes when they store it in the fridge? Do they use different ones every time? Or maybe I do something wrong with my kimchi? :cry:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Oct 5th, '11, 17:04

Yea my parents didn't knew about all my schoolfriends/workfriends, but they knew my best friends with whom i spend the most part of my free time. I mean not every detail, but at least names and how they look like. And i mean not the friends, which are made when you live apart from your family. I mean friends, whom you befriended in middleschool and are still friends after 10 years or so.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Oct 16th, '11, 02:01

btw how are these kimchi boxes called? And where can you buy them online. Has someone a good kimchi recipe. A tried a few, but non of them were great or as good as the original korean kimchi.

Another thing. The gangsterboss is called hyungnim. How is a female gangsterboss called? Noonim(doesn't seem right)?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 16th, '11, 09:50

Hm, in the movie "My Wife is a Gangster" the female boss was also called hyungnim.
Plus, in older times higher ranked woman in any group was also called hyungnim (like among gisaeng).

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 16th, '11, 14:03

Silverman wrote:btw how are these kimchi boxes called? And where can you buy them online. Has someone a good kimchi recipe. A tried a few, but non of them were great or as good as the original korean kimchi.

Another thing. The gangsterboss is called hyungnim. How is a female gangsterboss called? Noonim(doesn't seem right)?
Make kimchi yourself. It's quite easy. I have tried. Ok, I failed big time in many, many ways but you don't have to :D

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 16th, '11, 14:37

Been wanting to make for a while. But vegetables here are so damn expensive and so are the ingredients. Hell, I hadn't eaten proper vegetables for months until yesterday and I needed it so bad.
That poor tomato and the poor broccoli... They never saw me coming... But I guess we'll take a shot at kimchi eventually. We just haven't found enough motivation, time and money to make us go for it.

One thing I was always curious about is soju. It seems to be all they drink in series. Along with beer and the occasional makgeolli. Do Koreans really not drink fancier stuff often? Or what about wine?

vasou

Post by vasou » Oct 16th, '11, 14:54

I tried and made kimchi, but it was a disaster for me . Not that I didn't like it (if I made it correctly), but it seems that I am allergic to the red chilli pepper powder.
Seriously, how unlucky can someone be?

@

I think they mostly drink soju because is the cheapest. However, even the rich, drinking soju :S

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 16th, '11, 15:01

I think the chili might be a no no for me as well. No allergy, but my gum gets swollen at a specific place on my palate and hurts for a couple of days when I eat it. Unless it was because of the cyst I had there. XD

But will try at some point. Maybe with a moderate amount of chili then. And yes, even the rich seem to drink it. It's in the culture and all, but even greeks don't drink ouzo all the time. Wonder if it's "overdone" for series.

vasou

Post by vasou » Oct 16th, '11, 15:21

This is what I thought. Yes, ouzo is our national drink, but its not in every series , and especially richer people won't be seen drinking ouzo (in TV). Whiskey, Vodka, any fancy coctail as Mojito, etc.

As for chilli, if you try it be moderate. To me, it cause me oversized puffed lips (something that also cayenne pepper and pomegrante-based cosmetics do) like i had an unsuccessful plastic surgery on my lips! Lol

@

Another topic is ... tada... Sex!
Okay, I can understand that they don't want to show that kind of scenes. Tgey don't have to. In Spy Muyng Wol, just show some kisses, and then under bed, with bare ...shoulders... And that was it .

But in most of dramas people just kiss, hold hands and then decide to marry? Is this happening in real life? Saving it for marriage?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 16th, '11, 15:27

vasou wrote: But in most of dramas people just kiss, hold hands and then decide to marry? Is this happening in real life? Saving it for marriage?
Watch more cable dramas, seriously.

Korean TV broadcasts are under the influence of moral guards (yeah, it's the law), so you won't see anything more than that.

Oh and Ori, I think I saw wine or whisky/brandy in many, many dramas. Really. D-A's favorite alcoholic pays attention to that detail :whistling:

vasou

Post by vasou » Oct 16th, '11, 15:30

Ethlenn wrote:
vasou wrote: But in most of dramas people just kiss, hold hands and then decide to marry? Is this happening in real life? Saving it for marriage?
Watch more cable dramas, seriously.

Korean TV broadcasts are under the influence of moral guards (yeah, it's the law), so you won't see anything more than that.
I watched I need romance :wub: :wub:

The thing is , its not about ''seeing'' (there were some couples are told or seen to have sex : Coffee prince, My fair Lady, City Hall, Scent of a woman, Kim sam soon, SMY, Dal Ja's spring, etc etc), but about act like they don't have sex at all.
Not even an accidental pregnancy. Just hold hands and then marry! :lol

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 16th, '11, 15:37

Few of my friends also didn't have sex before marriage, so I don't find it that weird at all. It's cultural heritage plus personal preference and morals I guess. :whistling:

I may be old, but for me sex is not the main dish. It's a side dish. So I don't mind not focusing on that in dramas. Life is also not about sex (actually... wait...)

vasou

Post by vasou » Oct 16th, '11, 15:51

Ethlenn wrote:Few of my friends also didn't have sex before marriage, so I don't find it that weird at all. It's cultural heritage plus personal preference and morals I guess. :whistling:

I may be old, but for me sex is not the main dish. It's a side dish. So I don't mind not focusing on that in dramas. Life is also not about sex (actually... wait...)
Truth, but when we are watching dramas focusing on romance, I think its part of the game. Not to show it as a scene, but to mention something that is actually happening.
I don't think Korea ( I might be wrong) is as conservative as Thailand is , so that in reality people keep it for marriage.
So , in a country that pre-marriage sex is a fact, its very unrealistic to portray relationships so fairy-tale-ish...

It's not that I have problem with that, its just that its so not realistic.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 16th, '11, 15:59

It's not realistic for you, and for most of the Euro-Americans. But in a country that denies existence of gay people it's not that obvious.
So we shouldn't make the same mistake as older anthropologists made - to see other culture through the lenses of our own. because it distorts the perspective. Chastity before marriage is an innate element to many cultures.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 16th, '11, 16:12

Females are fighting over sex issue in Korean dramas, while a guy, just like myself, don't even really care about that. :D When I am watching a drama, I am alright if they skip sex scenes or even the thought that they should have sex. But there are quite a lot of dramas that shows sex way before marriage.
I may be really old-fashioned(or just too young) but I don't think that sex is a part of romance. But I am too tired now to get into details.

As for different cultures, I can just say that in Latvia, I don't really see everyone having sex before marriage. Or I'm just an outcast of some kind? Of course, there are these party people that are having sex all the time, but that's quite small portion of the main latvian nation(I'm talking about Latvians only, not about latvian-russians(who are like 40% of our population btw), those mostly are very perverted people and with low morals. THAT'S JUST WHAT I THINK.

vasou

Post by vasou » Oct 16th, '11, 16:12

Ethlenn wrote:It's not realistic for you, and for most of the Euro-Americans. But in a country that denies existence of gay people it's not that obvious.
So we shouldn't make the same mistake as older anthropologists made - to see other culture through the lenses of our own. because it distorts the perspective. Chastity before marriage is an innate element to many cultures.
This is not what I am trying to say.
I perfectly understand that some countries are more conservative than my country, or other EU (or USA) countries. That's why I mentioned Thailand.
The thing is that (and I might be wrong) that in reality , Korea is not as conservative as it is showed in dramas.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 16th, '11, 16:19

vasou wrote:
Ethlenn wrote:It's not realistic for you, and for most of the Euro-Americans. But in a country that denies existence of gay people it's not that obvious.
This is not what I am trying to say.
I perfectly understand that some countries are more conservative than my country, or other EU (or USA) countries. That's why I mentioned Thailand.
The thing is that (and I might be wrong) that in reality , Korea is not as conservative as it is showed in dramas.
Not really. I have some connections in Korea(and I've talked to a lot of Koreans) and the average Korean is almost as innocent as they show them in dramas. There is a part that isn't, of course. Just like in any other country.

vasou

Post by vasou » Oct 16th, '11, 16:21

Neliets wrote: Not really. I have connections in Korea and the average Korean is almost as innocent as they show them in dramas. There is a part that isn't, of course. Just like in any other country.
Oh, I see. Then , my bad. From some people I have talked, I though it wasn't like this .

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 16th, '11, 16:32

vasou wrote:
Neliets wrote: Not really. I have connections in Korea and the average Korean is almost as innocent as they show them in dramas. There is a part that isn't, of course. Just like in any other country.
Oh, I see. Then , my bad. From some people I have talked, I though it wasn't like this .
That was only about sex issue, but I can tell you one thing - Korean youth loves clubs. That's something almost all of them do and go to.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 16th, '11, 17:15

I do feel this is a TV issue for the most part. Meaning, yes, there would be people not having sex too soon or before marriage, but I don't think they'd be the kind of characters we usually see in romantic series.
Sex is a part of a healthy relationship. It's an expression of the romance. Not the main one, but a crucial one. For me to say "they are a couple", they need to be doing what the definition of a couple does. That too.

I think it's this taboo issue in series that stops such scenes. But, as many series have shown us, you can do it without making it vulgar. Cause frankly, many relationships have had their issues on that part and failed.
Meaning, it is not all that unusual to be turned off by the physical contact with someone and realize it was just romance in your head but not your body. It's not shallow or bad. It is human and perfectly natural to have that.

So, unless you are sure your mind, heart AND body want the other person, I cannot call that a couple. Maybe a kiddy couple or a fairytale couple, but not one of lovers. So, not the "adult" version of a couple as we know it.
There can be less sex with the passing of time, but the love balances that and you are definitely a couple by then. But as far as the beginning of a relationship is concerned, you have to be sure you want ALL of the person.

As far as Koreans are concerned, I don't cut them as such "innocent" people, to be perfectly honest, but people who would feign innocence because of "what people might think", yes. We have to consider that as well.
And to go back to the original issue, series should be realistic. If the characters are modern open-minded and passionate people and if the romance is intense, they will have sex. When they don't, it ruins the realism.

Another thing I've noticed is that the second character who is a royal b*tch and tries really low means to get some guy is always female. I've seen some "bad" second males, but not bad in the same way as women.
Why is that? I find that very sexist. The only wicked men around seem to be the old ones in rom coms and all the main ones are either good or then "naive", which is just another word for royal wusses in such shows.
I'd love to see a second male lead who is just as bad and tries to keep the female lead to himself. And have the male lead be the hero. Well, some shows had something similar, but not rom com. As far as I remember.

So, after this talk and the amount of creep I've seen today, I shall go take a freezing shower and hope my brain gets too cold to stay in the gutter... Bren gon nao. Bai Bai.
Last edited by Orion1986 on Oct 16th, '11, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 16th, '11, 17:40

Orion1986 wrote:I do feel this is a TV issues for the most part. Meaning, yes, there would be people not having sex too soon or before marriage, but I don't think they'd be the kind of characters we usually see in romantic series.
Sex is a part of a healthy relationship. It's an expression of the romance. Not the main one, but a crucial one. For me to say "they are a couple", they need to be doing what the definition of a couple does. That too.

I think it's this taboo issue in series that stops such scenes. But, as many series have shown us, you can do it without making it vulgar. Cause frankly, many relationships have had their issues on that part and failed.
Meaning, it is not all that unusual to be turned off by the physical contact with someone and realize it was just romance in your head but not your body. It's not shallow or bad. It is human and perfectly natural to have that.

So, unless you are sure your mind, heart AND body want the other person, I cannot call that a couple. Maybe a kiddy couple or a fairytale couple, but not one of lovers. So, not the "adult" version of a couple as we know it.
There can be less sex with the passing of time, but the love balances that and you are definitely a couple by then. But as far as the beginning of a relationship is concerned, you have to be sure you want ALL of the person.

As far as Koreans are concerned, I don't cut them as such "innocent" people, to be perfectly honest, but people who would feign innocence because of "what people might think", yes. We have to consider that as well.
And to go back to the original issue, series should be realistic. If the characters are modern open-minded and passionate people and if the romance is intense, they will have sex. When they don't, it ruins the realism.

Another thing I've noticed is that the second character who is a royal b*tch and tries really low means to get some guy is always female. I've seen some "bad" second males, but not bad in the same way as women.
Why is that? I find that very sexist. The only wicked men around seem to be the old ones in rom coms and all the main ones are either good or then "naive", which is just another word for royal wusses in such shows.
I'd love to see a second male lead who is just as bad and tries to keep the female lead to himself. And have the male lead be the hero. Well, some shows had something similar, but not rom com. As far as I remember.

So, after this talk and the amount of creep I've seen today, I shall go take a freezing shower and hope my brain gets too cold to stay in the gutter... Bren gon nao. Bai Bai.
Just... too perfect explanation. Ok, with that - I can't argue.

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Oct 21st, '11, 19:56

Another thing I've noticed recently is how many of the men are just plain stalkers. I'm currently halfway through Romance though he's really more of a juvenille (though he looks older than her) sexpest but also noticed it in My Girl, He's Beautiful, Man Of The Vineyard and Prosecutor Princess. I didn't include Painter Of The Wind as he is just a nonce, not a stalker.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 21st, '11, 20:02

Well, stalking along with dislocating wrists and generally being a royal jerk seems to be "romantic" in such series.
Good things to pass on as appropriate to young generations, but kissing, on the other hand, will hurt them. Ahaha. :lol

vasou

Post by vasou » Oct 26th, '11, 14:15

One thing I forgot to point out is ...

Have you ever notice how many eggs Koreans seem to eat in drama?
They are in a scene in Sauna, with a big carton full of boiled eggs, and next scene all of them are over.

Oh, man, I am Greek, and our food are defenately not as light as Korean are, but I can't stomach eating more than... 3-4 boiled eggs. How can they ?

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 1st, '11, 18:07

vasou wrote:One thing I forgot to point out is ...

They are in a scene in Sauna, with a big carton full of boiled eggs, and next scene all of them are over.

Oh, man, I am Greek, and our food are defenately not as light as Korean are, but I can't stomach eating more than... 3-4 boiled eggs. How can they ?
haha that's pretty crazy. A dozen boiled eggs, that's 540 calories of fat! Healthy fat, but that's still a crazy amount to consume at once.

vasou

Post by vasou » Nov 1st, '11, 18:09

SpankThatAss wrote: haha that's pretty crazy. A dozen boiled eggs, that's 540 calories of fat! Healthy fat, but that's still a crazy amount to consume at once.
Let alone the cholesterol...

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 1st, '11, 18:13

I'm pretty sure I would throw up lol

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 2nd, '11, 14:52

SpankThatAss wrote:
vasou wrote:One thing I forgot to point out is ...

haha that's pretty crazy. A dozen boiled eggs, that's 540 calories of fat! Healthy fat, but that's still a crazy amount to consume at once.
Calories have basically nothing to do with fat!!

And one egg consist of around 75 kilocalories. And only around 5g of it is fat. Egg mostly consist of water(more than half of it) and protein(a bit more than fat).

Eggs are very good food, the only thing is that you can get a rash(or something like that, not sure how to call it in English), if you eat them too much.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 2nd, '11, 15:06

I'm pretty sure a dozen boiled eggs is gonna be a mighty heavy load to digest, even if you do manage to eat it.

Maybe they only get so many just to be sure they have enough. It's possible they share or return some for others to buy.
Or then this is just another kdrama thing where they are trying to emphasize love for food and life and go a bit overboard.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 2nd, '11, 15:11

Orion1986 wrote:I'm pretty sure a dozen boiled eggs is gonna be a mighty heavy load to digest, even if you do manage to eat it.

Maybe they only get so many just to be sure they have enough. It's possible they share or return some for others to buy.
Or then this is just another kdrama thing where they are trying to emphasize love for food and life and go a bit overboard.
I'm more than sure that they return eggs that they haven't eaten. And, as you see in dramas, in Saunas they aren't usually alone. They go in pairs or even more, so they prepare a load so you can share.

Just to know : potatoes are even harder to digest than eggs. You may not feel it as much but potatoes digest quite a while, mostly because there are quite a lot of unneeded stuff in them, which you later eliminate in toilet. If you don't believe, you can test it quite easily. Get a good serving of potatoes one day, and then next day get rice for lunch. Then you can compare how much you will need to 'eliminate' that day.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 2nd, '11, 15:52

No thanks. I am not about to experiment on my digestive tract just because of a television series.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 2nd, '11, 15:56

Neliets wrote:
What? Each gram of fat has 9 calories.... so how can fat not have anything to do with calories?

vasou

Post by vasou » Nov 2nd, '11, 16:10

Let aside the fat. What about the cholesterol?

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 2nd, '11, 16:22

vasou wrote:Let aside the fat. What about the cholesterol?
There is good cholesterol (HDL) and bad cholesterol (LDL). The cholesterol from egg yolks is good cholesterol which can help lower the risk of heart disease, not to mention all the vitamins and nutrients in the yolk which are also beneficial to your health. Just don't go crazy like they do in the dramas, everything good comes in moderation.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 2nd, '11, 16:50

Indeed. Moderation is key. Eggs are lovely, but like with everything else, you shouldn't go too wild with em.

Same goes for soju, but they seem to overuse that a bit too much as well. In kdramas, that is. Tooo much. XD

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 2nd, '11, 18:51

Have you guys had yogurt flavored soju? Taste so good!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 2nd, '11, 18:53

The only dairy thing that goes with alcohol is milk in White Russian.
I'd probably puke at yogurt flavored soju.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 2nd, '11, 18:55

Nahhh you gotta try it, trust me I thought the same thing you did. Think of it as vodka with orange juice, that's what it looks like.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 2nd, '11, 19:03

SpankThatAss wrote:
Neliets wrote:
What? Each gram of fat has 9 calories.... so how can fat not have anything to do with calories?
Let's say that some kind of product(let's say rice, for example) has 100kcal per 100g. And it contains around 5g of fat. 5g of fat is 45cal. Calorie-wise it doesn't make any difference. 100kcal or 100,45kcal. You are talking about calories and fat. And fat is needed for your body, too. And way more than we think.

Fat has other effects that you would have to moderate on you diet. But I'll not get deeper in this.

And it's exactly the other way around about the cholesterol. Too much egg yolk consumption may higher the chances of getting cardiovascular diseases(mostly for diabetic people). And around 1/4th of egg yolk's fat is saturated fat which contains LDL cholesterol. True about vitamins and moderation. And you shouldn't drink raw eggs like "Rocky", because of the risk of Salmonella and boiled eggs are better(I'll not get in details why).

Ahh, I'm already tired of the debate about this...

Soju.... mmmm.... it was so delicious. I think if I could buy it here in Latvia, I would become an alcoholic. Image

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 2nd, '11, 19:10

Ethlenn wrote:The only dairy thing that goes with alcohol is milk in White Russian.
I'd probably puke at yogurt flavored soju.
Not sure about yogurt flavoured soju, but I have never felt well when drinking if I had had yogurt.

Who even mixes Vodka with something? You have to drink it clean. Image I don't even understand those who drink something on vodka... why they drink vodka if they have to drink something after it?? Doesn't make sense, really.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 2nd, '11, 19:37

No no, you use vodka to make some drinks (cocktails), some yummy drinks.
http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/134/

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 2nd, '11, 20:48

White Russian is yummy. I hate alcohol myself so I'm only game for co... other-word-for-roostertails. The pansy ones. Without much alcohol.

But makgeolli is something I really want to try. Blame "Fantasy Couple". Is it heavier than soju? I'll need a drinking buddy when I visit Korea.
Although the one time I drank properly (a glass of 3-4 different hard liquors together), I didn't get drunk at all. But still. Better have a buddy. XD

Another thing which seems fishy are the buses. They always seem conveniently empty. Now, I know it depends on the area and all, but it is Seoul.
It's a big city with a big population. It feels as if the empty bus thing is only to accentuate the actors. I can't believe buses there aren't like in Athens.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 2nd, '11, 20:58

Have you noticed that buses are empty only ar nights? In the mornings buses are overcrowded.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 2nd, '11, 21:05

I think I've seen buses in sort-of-empty state during daytime as well. It wouldn't have struck me as odd if I hadn't. It's natural they'd be empty at night.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Nov 11th, '11, 22:52

Has anyone noticed, that a korean citizen does nothing, except pc-work, kimchi and laundry, without these knitted gloves with rubbercoating on one side? I mean i've seen a lot of different workgloves in my life, which are used in different situations, but these korean gloves are used for everything, even for thing where you don't need any gloves.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 11th, '11, 22:57

Silverman wrote:Has anyone noticed, that a korean citizen does nothing, except pc-work, kimchi and laundry, without these knitted gloves with rubbercoating on one side? I mean i've seen a lot of different workgloves in my life, which are used in different situations, but these korean gloves are used for everything, even for thing where you don't need any gloves.
That's not true, I've seen Koreans working at Karaoke places and Korean restaurants too. And I don't know what gloves you're talking about.

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Nov 11th, '11, 23:31

Neliets wrote:Have you noticed that buses are empty only ar nights? In the mornings buses are overcrowded.
I take it you've never been to Prague, the late buses there are as empty as Dawn French's cunt on a Friday night.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Nov 11th, '11, 23:32

I mean the gloves, which you see in EVERY kdrama (at least in dramas, where they do any kind of manual labor). And if you have ever seen a korean drama, you have to know which gloves i have in mind. They show just one kind of working gloves in korean television. So there is no room for misunderstandings (and don't come with examples of the only drama, where they have other gloves). well for kimchi they have rubber gloves^^. AND korean waiters bring sometimes the hot soup pot with these kind of gloves (ok i've just seen these waiters in dramas, our waiters don't use them, but in kdramas they do).

This are the gloves i have in mind:
Attachments
gloves.jpg
gloves.jpg (136.83 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Nov 11th, '11, 23:55

I do see the gloves a lot, yes. I imagine they are used a lot for harder things. The rubber is not easy to penetrate and the tops are still soft with good air circulation. Quite a smart type of glove actually.
I would imagine they do use them a lot, since I doubt there is some one company providing them or something. It's not a "big" enough item for me to say it's done on purpose. As a kdrama cliche, I mean.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Nov 12th, '11, 00:20

I didn't want to call out a "korean glovemanufacturer conspiracy". I can imagine, that they are good...but i doubt, that they are perfect (I'm sure that they are not the best gloves for construction work, as the rubbercoating is not durable enough, for a long term use. Once i used similar gloves to build a small shack in the garden and just after a few hours they were damaged). But thats not the point. The point is, that although there are a lot of different kind of working gloves, in korean television they use this kind of gloves(well and the rubbergloves). Its not important, but i think its interesting.